A very short honeymoon for Carey Price

It was a very short honeymoon for Canadiens goaltender Carey Price.

Less than 24 hours after getting married to Angela Webber in Kennewick, Wash., on Saturday, Price arrived in Calgary for Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp, admitting he had hardly any sleep at all.

“I got some on the flight,” Price told Kristen Odland of Postmedia News on Sunday. “I got an opportunity to hang out with my family and friends. You only get married once in your life. It’s definitely time to take an opportunity to enjoy it.

“We definitely had a lot of fun.”

Price added that his new bride is very understanding.

“Which is the reason I married her,” he said. “She understands the situation. She’s just the perfect girl for me.

“Like I said, it’s also a rare opportunity for an individual to go to an event like this. She understands that. She’s American, too, so we’ll have a few jostlings I’m sure about it. She’s definitely 100 per cent behind me.”

After the four-day orientation camp, Price will fly back to Washington, drive to Kelowna and then fly to Montreal in time for the Canadiens’ golf tournament on Sept. 3 at Laval-sur-le-Lac.

Teammate P.K. Subban, who attended Price’s wedding and was on the same flight as the goaltender to Calgary afterwards, tweeted a photo of Price sleeping in the plane, adding: “Bet Carey didn’t think he would be spending his honey moon with me!”

Subban also retweeted a note from Price’s new bride: “Such an amazing day,” Angela wrote, “thank you for all the kind words. We are so blessed!”

You can follow Subban on Twitter by clicking here.

(Gazette file photo/Dave Sidaway)

Newly-wed Price hopes experience pays off, montrealgazette.com

Players arrive for Olympic off-ice camp, montrealgazette.com

Who will be Team Canada’s goalie? montrealgazette.com

Luongo starts a new chapter, Cam Cole

Luongo determined to be No. 1, Sportsnet.ca

Team Canada Orientation Camp roster, TSN.ca

Projected 2014 Team Canada roster, TSN.ca

Hall, Eberle in tough to make Team Canada, Edmonton Journal

Off-ice habits key to orientation, Calgary Herald

1. dsangdhw says:

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )
    (Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
    (Air Max shoes) $35,
    (Nike shox shoes) $36,
    (Handbags) $39,
    (Sunglasses) $16,
    (wallet) $18,
    (Belt) $17,
    (T-shirts) $20,
    (Jeans) $37,
    (NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )

2. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Carey, Go on a long honeymoon for several years so the Habs can stop paying you and get a real goalie who actually knows how to stop a puck that’s lobbed at the net from the lower end of the faceoff circle. Let’s get Tokarski as the back-up to Budaj or bring in a veteran goalie till Fucale is ready to go.

3. SmartDog says:

Speaking of Parros and Murray.

You gotta hand it to Bergevin. He said he would get tougher. And he went out and got two serious bruisers. And he got them each on 1 year deals for $2.5 mil for the pair. Even if you don’t like one or both signings, you have to appreciate that they are low risk and possibly high reward actions in line with something that we’ve needed a long time. No-one knows how the experiment will work out, but I’m looking forward to chemistry class!

4. HabFanSince72 says:

As the house agnostic it falls on me to weigh in on the schism in the Church of the Hab.

H I/O is the catholic branch – more established and ancient, more driven (as Surrey points out) by emotion and pagentry, and not a little suspicious of the austere logic of the schismatics.

Andrew Berkshire is the ascetic priest of EOTP, its Martin Luther, who nailed his statistical theses to or church door and left just one step ahead of the Inquisitors (timelines are a bit off but bear with me).

And if Robert Rice has had harsh words for us, his is only the zeal of the recent convert.

JD_ would be the clownish Henry VIII – who left more for his own amusement then for a strong belief in the other side’s doctrines.

And then there are the ecumenicals, punkster and 24Cups, who still believe in the One True Church of the Hab.

And finally there is Giordano Bruno, excommunicated by both sides and finally burned at the stake in Rome. I just hope I don’t end up like him.

• SmartDog says:

Andrew Berkshire was (and apparently still is) a horses rear end.

He was a total jerk, not rarely, but most of the time. Can’t we just be honest and move on.

New thread, people.

6. Chrisadiens says:

I’m just curious. When is the EOTP summit? When is the fundraiser for the Children’s hospital sponsered by EOTP?

Crap community? Give your head a shake.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

7. AliHaba says:

Getting very excited about the upcoming season. Just for shits and giggles I checked out George Parros’ fights against the two Leaf tough guys. I was surprised to find that he had fought Frazer McLaren 5 times and in my unbiased opinion George had 4 wins and a draw. And he beat Colton Orr the only time they fought.

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, just arrived home last night from the deep, deep woods of British Columbia …white-water rafting, horse back riding, trout and salmon fishing, and exposing My Kids to the beauty (and mosquitos) of God’s Country

…actually, twern’t that many mosquitos, thankfully :)

…and, WHAT ??? do I return to ? …a downer discussion on the most obnoxious former member (mosquito) of Our exalted Commentariat that I can remember, in the poison (err, the person) of Mssr. Cheshire Cat (Berkshire)

…to put Cheshire at the top of the HIO Obnoxious List is saying a lot …because there have been some serious contenders for his crown

…it was not the opinions he had, because his opinions on hockey or the Montreal Canadiens held no more or less weight than any other of Our members’ opinions

…he was an overweight kid with an attitude that belatedly joined HIO a couple years ago and provided fair comment often based on his nerdishness for statistics and numbers

…his comments came from evidential logic and theory rather than ‘the gut’ and passion of the game, which was understandable as he never played the game of hockey, nor likely skated in more than a family night at his local recreation centre

…it was not the subject of his treatises …it was his personal obnoxiousness and condescension towards other commentators in HIO that was ‘the poison’ in the community …and like someOne mentioned below, it was a huge relief when he no longer ‘pleasured’ Us with His presense in HIO

…HIO became an extremely better and respectful fraternity of fellow Montreal Canadiens’ Fans following his slithering away following some memorable conflagrations

…it was I that convinced Mike Boone to provide Robert Rice space in HIO to write a specific page, based on My personal opinion that HIO needed more content on all Our prospects and the Hamilton Bulldogs

…I felt Robert, in fact, deserved a daily separate page within HIO specific for the subject of Our Future

…well, Mike didn’t give Me everything I wished for, but He did give Robert his break as far as a platform to be recognized …it gave Me too what I wanted, which thankfully Ben (Commandant) partially has replaced with His interesting contribution

…Eyes On The Prize, was previously a shrine to the Montreal Canadiens’ history created lovingly by Robert Lefevre …it was,for Me, sad to see EOTP becoming a platform commandeered by the same Cheshire Cat of HIO

…I don’t know the story how Robert handed EOTP over to the group presently in-controll …it’s none of My business …but, it was a sad moment for Me

…as far as Hockey Inside Out is concerned, I’m not the oldest member, but I was here far longer than Cheshire or Rice, and even Our beloved Ian …I can categorically say HIO has never been a more wonderful place for a Montreal Canadiens’ Fan to visit and stay current with Habs’ Fans around this cotton-pickin’ diverse World in which We all live

…We have writers here I can read all day like Chris, Normand and others …and just an all-round wonderful assortment of individual personalities and characters that make visiting HIO a must for Myself

…excepting only when I’m ‘in the deep, deep woods’ :)

…Long live HIO

• SmartDog says:

Surrey,

That is one of the best, truest – and perhaps longest – post I have ever ready here.

And the definitive last word on a topic we’ve given too much attention to.

Hear! Hear! The woods must’ve done you some good!

9. Chrisadiens says:

I’ve been on EOTP maybe 3 times. Seemed too new school for me though. I always thought they did a great job. But attacking a fan base of another Habs blog? Really? From Andrew I kind of expect it but from Robert? Who I’ve defended here on some occasions? Ouch.

I’ve met some amazing people here. People I email everyday. People who I’ve invited to my wedding. People I meet for meals as they pass through my town. We are NOT a “crap community” We are NOT a “garbage heap”.

We have some bad eggs, sure, but the majority of us are great people with varying degrees of hockey knowledge that share our views and opinions without fear of ridicule.

Stay classy EOTP. You have just likened yourselves to Bruins fans.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• SmartDog says:

Not invited to any weddings. :(
      Not emailed every day :(
      Don’t know what town you’re in :(

Nobody pays any attention to the dog.

Except of course Ian when he’s in “giant summit email blast” mode.

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Gally – Pleks – Patches
    Chucky – Eller – Briere
    Bourque – DD – Gionta
    Moen – White – Prust

I like that!

11. HabFanSince72 says:

If H I/O and EOTP were a hockey rivalry, which one would it be?

I want to say Isles-Devils – but are they rivals?

• SmartDog says:

EOTP would be Florida. Gomez is there.

We’d be the Habs.

No contest, a lousy rivalry. They suck. We rock.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

There’s no rivalry. I read this site because it is witty. The other site is dry, and the sense you’d want to have a beer with the main writers just isn’t there.
        So for the little my view’s worth, I like HIO.
        We are troll infested during the regular season, and I often avoid the site when it is at its most popular. It can be very frustrating to read, but what’s to be done about that? Trolls have a strange mentality, but they’ll always be there – death, taxes and trolls.

I try to skip them and read the many good hockey people here. There is more than enough intelligent writing for me to read that it’s worth the silliness of those who say “fanboy, pricebot, hater or true fan”.

It’s not a rivalry between teams. It’s cliques in the room, that’s all. We drink more.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would pull a Douglas Murry on Burkshire and send him headfirst into the door at the benches.

12. secretdragonfly says:

Lots of debate today about the “other site” but here’s a cherished memory of better days gone by and the reason why we all flock to our community. Peace out.

13. SmartDog says:

@chris

First off, you’re one of the (many) quality contributors to this site, and probably the one most like the two guys being discussed below in content (thoughtful, stat-laden, in-depth stuff). But you’re also in my mind better. Because you’re not a horses ass. Ever.

And second, I agree with your point that HIO gave them a forum. But it doesn’t bother me that they piss on it because of that. It bothers me that they crap on it because it’s puerile. After causing stupid arguments here (by trying to defend stupid arguments) Berkshire says THIS community has gone downhill without him? LOL Whether it has or not – and I was here – and I disagree, I can tell you one thing. The day Berkshire closed his account, it went uphill not down.

Rice, in my memory wasn’t very contentious, just kind of pompous. But his stuff made sense. Berky was like a younger version of Ross Perot. Minus the “ye-sees”. And with no folksy wisdom. But just as relevant and just as misguided. Oh yah. And a jerk. Did I say that already?

• Chris says:

“Because you’re not a horses ass. Ever.”

Oh, believe me…that is not even close to be true. I’m just usually quick on the edit button when I realize I’ve been an idiot. Thus far, most people never catch those frequent indiscretions.

• SmartDog says:

Then I should have said “not a horses ass for more than 5 minutes ever on this site”. Or at least not that I’ve seen. Berkshire could be a real jerk. And seemed stuck there. He really wasn’t a good guy.

14. Chris says:

I’ll wade into this.

I have no problem with either Andrew or Robert Rice. They both bring up some good discussion points, and clearly there are enough fans of their writing that they were offered an opportunity to get their own site. I don’t always agree with their point of view and I’m not a big fan of the state of sabremetrics in hockey, but they bring something to the table.

But here’s the part that really infuriates me. Both Robert and Andrew got where they are largely because of Hockey Inside/Out. The Gazette graciously gave them a FREE forum on which they could frequently post and raise their online profile. In Robert’s case, his profile was boosted even further when Mike started running his prospect reports.

To turn around and trash the community here is bush-league, and both guys should be ashamed of themselves. I’ve been here since day one, first as a lurker for a couple of months and have been a regular poster for many years. I was offered the opportunity a couple of times to go to different sites as a contributor, but I turned it down for two reasons.

First, I really don’t think my “expertise” is relevant enough to warrant getting my own column or the role of contributor to one of these sites. I express my opinions, and not much more. If some people agree, that’s a nice feeling, but I have absolutely no delusions (even if it doesn’t always seem that way) that I have any inside connections or insight into the sport. I can express my opinions just as well here as I could do on my own site, and part of me always hopes that by posting here I can add to the efforts of all the other posters in keeping this as one of the go-to places for Montreal Canadiens discussions.

Secondly, I have always felt a tremendous amount of loyalty to this website. Any opportunities I’ve been offered have been because of Hockey Inside/Out. I had no interest in directing traffic away from HI/O to other websites, nor to my own blog. That is a personal decision, and I have no problem with the other old-timers that have decided to pursue that route (and there are many, and many of them were excellent writers and contributors to this site whose absence is dearly missed).

What I will never, ever do is post some crap that the community here is any better or worse than it ever was. We’ve always had posters come and go, but the tone and the quality of the site is as good as it has ever been. We’ve always had trolls, largely because the Gazette staff are pretty even-keeled about handing out bans to people who disagree with them (excepting a couple of notorious incidents, both of which were eventually resolved). Troll infestations are, if anything, a mark of the success of this website. Why troll a website that nobody reads? It would be akin to writing viruses to target a computer system that nobody uses. You can do it, but it sure won’t have an optimal impact.

It is sad that their site, which has long been associated with this one and had frequently been advertised by Boone (and remains as one of the featured blogs in the blogroll), feels it necessary to slag this one. I can understand some of the frustration as they take more than their fair share of heat from many of the posters here, but to slag the work of the Overlords as lacking quality or quantity is a pretty blatant example of biting the hand that fed you.

Dave Stubbs and Pat Hickey are reporters, not bloggers. They spend their time actually covering other sports during the summer months, so if there is no hockey news, there is no “quantity”. That is no different than the state of affairs since the start of the website.

• JohninTruro says:

This is basically what I wrote a little below but 8 paragraphs longer…biting the hand that feeds you, I agree Chris.

• Ron says:

I’m in agreement with what you say in regard to both those bloggers really getting their start here. I too have been here pretty much from the start. They were given every opportunity to post and make references to it here. I am not surprised with Andrews actions but am surprised Robert has sided with him. As you say their site is still listed in the blogroll on the right. I’m wondering how long it stays there once its been spotted by our HIO operators that their trashing the site it self not just the posters. Andrews s@it storm comments may act the opposite to their remarks and push their viewers to drop by here to see how this operates. In all its is very poor actions by them both.

• twilighthours says:

Perfectly written. Just to add… I believe boone even featured Andrew Berkshire in a gazette column.

Don’t forget your roots, don’t get too big for your britches, don’t bite the hand that feeds you, and other clichés

• Chris says:

Boone actually featured Andrew in two articles over a couple of years: one as a featured poster, and then one where Andrew got to discuss advanced statistics after he had made the move over to Eyes on the Prize as a contributor. The second one was basically a free advertisement in a major newspaper for his website.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Chris –

1. People here have been relentlessly bashing Andrew and EOTP for a long time.

2. Andrew, Robert et al. don’t owe the community or this website anything. Both left after unpleasant exchanges. But in any case this website is just a platform for discussions.

• Chris says:

Nope, they don’t. But grace never hurt anybody in this life, and that includes we HI/O posters. Both sites are interesting, albeit to potentially different groups. There’s really no need to be slagging them as crap (although I reserve my right to disagree with them vehemently when I feel they are overreaching on their statistical-based inferences, just as people should do to me when they catch me!).

• twilighthours says:

You can’t have *some* grace…

• Chris says:

Sadly, I had to look that one up. Seinfeld references are unfortunately lost on me. I could never get into that show.

Between my complete lack of Simpsons and Seinfeld references, I am a pop cultural moron.

15. frontenac1 says:

Anybody up for some shots?

Dave Stubbs to Ian Cobb
    about an hour ago

I’ll be adding this to the Oct. 26 Summit raffle: a Sher-Wood stick autographed by Canadiens legend Elmer Lach.

There is a picture of this stick on facebook, but I do not know how to put up a picture.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

17. Kooch7800 says:

I guess the Toronto model is if it is broke why try and fix it:

ANTHOPOULOS SAYS GIBBONS WILL BE BACK AS JAYS MANAGER

Epic fail.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

18. JohninTruro says:

With respect to Berkshire (can’t believe I am typing about him too), any smart business person trying to drive sales or their business does not bite the hand that feeds them. Trashing another site which with the 1,000,000th post just recently and some absurd stat on traffic, is classless, and more importantly for his “business” assanine. Here is a place he could be receiving countless hits from, but rather says childish remarks. Very needless, and not smart on his part. But he is blogger, not a business person after all…

19. Lafleurguy says:

Berkshire was highly entertaining when he literally argued with Rangers faithful for hours when Pacioretty escaped suspension after boarding fellow Hab 2007 draftee, Ryan McDonagh. He did this on one of their websites, no less.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

• Luke says:

I recall that… and yet he complains about trolling…

• doc359 says:

He has he personaility of a cheese grater. I don’t mind reading some of the articles there, but god does he try his hardest to destroy type of community that is built there

• Hobie Hansen says:

More free advertising, he’s loving it! You guys are making him famous! He loves you guys!

• Ron says:

Whether its making him happy or not with the exposure he is getting here Hobie the fact is Normand brought that article here for us all to digest and yes everybody is. It would appear the little fellow Andrew has some very poor remarks about the site and people on here. Maybe if people see that fact they will stay away from it. Maybe we can all put up with it here today so people can avoid his site in the future. Its crap anyway IMO.

• krob1000 says:

I actually like reading all of those fancy stats….some info can be extracted but thinking of stats as the be all end all ina game as complex as hockey….that frustrates me.

• neumann103 says:

PHYSICS!

Gold, absolute gold

“Et le but!”

20. Lafleurguy says:

Ku just called Klux racist. They shouild form a clan.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

21. krob1000 says:

I was thinking of drafting Corsi Fenwick of the Washington Statisticals in the first round in my keeper pool this year. I cannot decide whether or not he will be there in the second round but I am currently accumulating information on my fellow pool members to determine their effectiveness in different ends of the room we are drafting in. There are some pluses and minuses to opting for him of course. His WHIP cream is 0 zero percent fat (had no idea this even was possible but Corsi Fenwick is a special player) and his Sour Cream is often 1 percent or under. Part of that worries me but his chewing percentage and sodium levels were adequate. This is a very basic advanced stats system I have in in place to help me in these situations but it should in general ensure me of his likely output based upon the aformeneitoned range of factors(when used in combination with some other worldy influences including tide, dust cloud monitoring and solar trajectory as measured from inside pyramids throughout the world).

Nevermind..I just made my mind up…Corsi Fenwick is a second rounder. How could I have even considered him that high?

” You might also like… The Hottest 30 Female Canadian Celebrities”

Yes, yes I would like.

23. Hobie Hansen says:

Regarding Andrew Berkshire and “Eyes on the Prize”.

You guys have done EXACTLY what he wants. Since Douglas Murray was acquired last week his sites has been mentioned on here a hundred or so times.

Good or bad, the more times his site is mentioned, the more attention it will get. We all know it’s garbage so let’s stop talking about it already.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Soccer is great. It’s still a sport that rewards invention and skill – the way hockey did ca. 1976-1999.

Unfortunately hockey has been going downhill ever since Scott Stevens got the Conn Smythe for knocking out Eric Lindros.

25. Un Canadien errant says:

Just so we know, lots of HIO’ers torch Andrew Berkshire and his website, but it appears they think equally highly of us. And Robert Rice is seriously not a fan any more.

Kind of awkward for me to comment, but this is getting silly. Do we really need to have these factions?

Copied from the comments section of this page (http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2013/8/26/4658750/welcome-mike-obrand-to-eyes-on-the-prize):

Its about time!
    Mr. Obrand, you just simplified my internet browsing, one stop shop for all my habs needs, next up merging your articles with the comment sections at hockeyinside/out…

by Sonny M on Aug 26, 2013 | 7:31 PM up reply
    Andrew Berkshire
    “next up merging your articles with the comment sections at hockeyinside/out…”
    Noooooooooo thanks.

Managing Editor of Eyes on the Prize – noted pointdexter

by Andrew Berkshire on Aug 26, 2013 | 7:46 PM up reply
    Okay then just the quantity…?
    by Sonny M on Aug 27, 2013 | 1:03 AM up reply
    Asking for HIO to have either of the two Q’s of EOTP (quantity/quality) is asking for hell to freeze over.

by Thomasjb on Aug 27, 2013 | 2:05 AM up reply
    Chocolate On Vanilla
    Why not? Nothing wrong with that community over there.

by Chocolate On Vanilla on Aug 27, 2013 | 6:35 AM up reply
    Andrew Berkshire
    Everything is wrong with that community. It’s a garbage heap.

Managing Editor of Eyes on the Prize – noted pointdexter

by Andrew Berkshire on Aug 27, 2013 | 11:13 AM up reply
    Chocolate On Vanilla
    Would that be every poster, or most, or just some? That’s a pretty broad statement.

by Chocolate On Vanilla on Aug 27, 2013 | 11:38 AM up reply
    Andrew Berkshire
    It’s a broad statement that’s meant to be broad. It’s a crappy community that’s gone downhill in a huge way in the last 4 years. There will always be diamonds in the rough, but the average is horrible.

Managing Editor of Eyes on the Prize – noted pointdexter

by Andrew Berkshire on Aug 27, 2013 | 12:07 PM up reply
    Chocolate On Vanilla
    Interesting outlook.

by Chocolate On Vanilla on Aug 27, 2013 | 12:09 PM up reply
    Robert Rice
    I’m of the same mind. Andrew and I are HIO veterans and it’s where we know each other from. That place has tumbled far, far from where it used to be as every troll alive has congregated there.

Free Agency Makes players rich, Drafting wins Cups.
    by Robert Rice on Aug 27, 2013 | 2:03 PM up reply
    Andrew Berkshire

Not to mention that the quality of the output has taken a huge tumble since Boone now only does the liveblog and ABL.

Managing Editor of Eyes on the Prize – noted pointdexter

by Andrew Berkshire on Aug 27, 2013 | 2:28 PM up reply

• Cal says:

Since Robert Lefebvre left HOTP to write his excellent books, that site has become a stat head’s wet dream. If the sport were baseball, their bs would hold up. As it is, I must of corsi make fun of their over-exposed fenwicks.

• Luke says:

Meow!

(Edit after the re-read):

Y’know, I was a lurker back in the glory days RR and AB refer to and while at times this place can derail (Game Night Live Blog!), I think it is a much more diverse & accomodating community today.

I also think there is very little trolling here. There’s some. It’s the internet, there always will be. (I’ve been accused of it a time or two… which is fine. I’m probably guilty of it on occassion).

But back in the “Day” it seemed to me that people either agreed or were run out of here pretty quickly. It wasn’t much for discussion, rather, it was a place to agree with each other, or get out.
      That’s part of the reason why I lurked instead of posting. It was very clique-y & I don’t think I would have fit in, or enjoyed it.

There were some people I really enjoyed reading from those days that have stopped posting here. There were some I thought were awful and am glad they moved on. There’s one of each in that EOTP comment section.

I’m sure I’m generalizing (but so are they). I’m sure there were some battles, but the ones I remember most were personal battles and petty bickering. Not the intelligent discussions about conflicting Hockey Opinons we see here today.

The place evolved and I think some people felt they lost their priority seating and went off looking for a new place to be king.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Who is Andrew Berkshire?
      How many Pro rooms at any level has he sat in?
      How many?
      How many Pro teams has he worked for?
      How many?

• Ron says:

Berkshire had a little snit with a few on here and got his panies in a knot and departed (yea). Robert Rice is a very good blogger and although he also has parted for his own thing he still puts out a good blog. As far as how many Pro rooms or Pro teams they are part of or worked for, the answer is I believe, nil. But you can say the same thing about the people on here that advertise their blogs as well, nil. Their all in thier own element looking for hits and followers, the name of the game. IMO Berkshire comes off as a whinny little creature.

• SmartDog says:

There are other things to say about Andrew “Corsi” Berkshire.

First off, I applaud anyone who takes the time to put their thoughts down in a structured (or entertaining) way, who invests the time to put it out there.

Second, I abhor those who crap on people who don’t see eye to eye with them, for no real reason.

And Berkshire did both. The first was good – he had some ideas, he put them out there. But a lot of people disagreed. For example, he had some funny ideas about… a certain…. player from…. Alaska, and that no-one was seeing how awesome this player REALLY was. And defending that untenable position became very difficult. And perhaps he snapped. Or something. But he wasn’t very nice.

A lot.

And that’s not cool.

He’s kind of an ass.

• neumann103 says:

Norm,

I agree with your sentiment that these warring factions in the Hab Fan community are unfortunate and unnecessary.

And then we get multiple comments here (in line and above) taking your rather neutral statement of regret at unnecessary schism and venom as a launch pad for name calling and straw men arguments against the EOTP crowd.

I participate in both of these communities and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I do have to say that I agree with the general statement that HIO has slipped, but that probably has to do more with the retirement of Mike Boone and his daily focus on making this site work than anything else. But the features written by the amateurs at Eyes on the Prize blow the doors off the current Gazette contributions placed at the top of these threads by the Pros (although I can’t evaluate how many rooms they have sat in).

Some of this is just the dog days of Summer where the content of a series like EOTP’s “Top 25 under 25″ is more compelling than our HIO “countdown to training camp” or “best pizza memories” (mmmmmm…Pizza!). But that will change when the boys of winter return. Some of the excellent posters we have here also don’t show up as much when there isn’t actual hockey being played. I have a short list of maybe a dozen members who I always look forward to reading (you among them) and I look forward to seeing three or four who only return when the ice does.

I usually watch games with a couple of browser tabs open and always have HIO and EOTP among them (along with some stats pages: burn me as a heretic!) and while – again – I really value the contribution of Boone, I increasingly found as the season wore on I was paying more attention to EOTP than HIO, mainly for a couple of reasons:

The signal to noise ratio there is undeniably better.

The fights at EOTP are much funnier.

I think both sites have value. I agree that some participants at each can be a bit ummm ….prickly. While I have for years bemoaned the baseballization of sports it is actually more a complaint about standard classical stats being misapplied as determinative. I think advanced stats are an interesting adjunct to more subjective evaluation. But if I had to pick between Fenwick and “sign anyone who is over 6’3″ and 220 pounds” it would be a pretty short (Smurfy?) consideration.

The kids may be too young to remember Rodney King’s plea for unity when he asked “Why can’t we all just get along?” but really I think Monty Python captured it best:

“Et le but!”

26. mark-ID says:

In regards to the Kristo for Thomas trade, I find it odd that so many people are calling it a bad trade. Kristo may be more NHL ready because he is two years older then Thomas, but Thomas has a full year playing against better competition in the A.

Thomas scored 19 goals in his rookie AHL season. While in 9 games for Kristo playing with the Bulldogs…..he failed to score a goal.

Kristo may also come with some character issues, especially if he told the team that drafted him that he didn’t want to play for them.

Personally, bring on Steve Thomas’ son any day. Can’t wait to see him with the Bulldogs this year.

27. krob1000 says:

Been reading several scouting reports on Collberg to brighten the day…wow…a couple pegged him as the best offensive player in his draft after Galchenyuk and Yakupov. HE has top line potential….if his release and knack for finding open space are anywhere near what they project he should have a field day with someone like Galchenyuk.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Krob. Many of the folks who I respect see him as a potential STEAL of that draft. Fingers crossed that they are right.

• 24 Cups says:

Rob – I would add Forsberg, Grigerenko, Hertl and Teravaninen to your list which still has Collberg coming in at #7. Not bad for the 33rd pick overall. Edmonton may well regret taking Mitchell Moroz at #32. I realize the kid is from Alberta but still….

• krob1000 says:

Not sure Forsberg has the same offensive output potential although he is a complete player in the making, and Grigorenko is good but more of a playmaker …not much speed but great puck possession guy and great vision…work ethic scares many..talent is not all that is necessary in the NHL. There are comflicting reports on that part of his game too though I must keep in mind…the fact some have Collberg as being better than Grigorenko from an offensive persepctive is what really caught my attention as I like Grigorenko’s game (from what I have seen…but he is known to have AK like stretches). The only real knock on Collberg is his size…his comparable it seems is Jeff Skinner in skill level, determination and offensvie ability…that would be great!

• Luke says:

Living close to Buffalo and listening to their sports radio instead of Toronto’s for sanity’s sake, I can agreed with the concerns expressed about Grigs’ work ethic.

Many people, including Sabres’ staff, commented on it. The recurring theme seemed to be that Grigs was so good in junior that he didn’t have to work that hard to dominate. When he got to the NHL he wasn’t prepared in terms of his fitness or work ethic to compete.
          That was why they kept him around for such a long period of time and burnt that 1st year. They wanted him working and preparing as a professional, not going back to junior and falling into the same bad habits.

28. B says:

Why would Kristo sign with Montreal only because they agreed to trade him this summer? If he simply waited a little, he could sign where ever he wanted to instead of having to go where ever Montreal trades him.

–Go Habs Go!–

• SmartDog says:

That is way too intelligent for this board.

So smart, you should be banana’d.

• Habfan10912 says:

B – I agree. Folks are just reaching for a reason why this move was made. The only logical assumption (and it’s an assumption) is the organization had some serious concerns about some of the off ice issues we’ve heard about. They found a partner in NY who for whatever reason, was willing to part with Thomas. At first glance this looks like a wash. Who knows.

• Luke says:

(Edit out my jibberish, to only leave my final point):

Perhaps they thought Thomas had developed into a better prospect and NYR came after Kristo… so that’s who they asked for.

Perhaps it wasn’t a Montreal initiated trade.

• B says:

There does seem to be some lingering questions here. Perhaps it is as simple as a trade came up where both teams thought they were getting an upgrade?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

One reason was that by signing in the spring and playing for the Bulldogs he knocked a year off his Entry Level Contract and is one year closer to arbitration. I’m not saying that he did or didn’t want out, but there would have been advantages and disadvantages to signing with the Canadiens or waiting until August 15. He chose to sign with the Canadiens, but it’s reasonable to question whether it was a marriage of convenience, on both sides.

• Luke says:

No fair.
        This is (basically) what my rambling jibberish that I edited out was trying poorly to state!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(Have to say this:

that was a beautiful split-infinitive evasion there, Luke.

Also, if a comment like this doesn’t get banana’d, no wonder EOTP feels the overall standard has dropped! Apologies all!)

• B says:

So perhaps Kristo is more concerned about money than where he plays? Of course that is well within his rights.

Are deals like the one you suggest copacetic and permissible by the league and CBA (or is it contrary to the “spirit” of the CBA)? In other words, is it something creative and clever, or manipulative and underhanded?

–Go Habs Go!–

29. HabFanSince72 says:

Is there anything about this website:

that isn’t lame?

• HabFanSince72 says:

The reason I bring it up as that the co-owners of MLSE, Rogers and Bell, are apparently trying hard to convince Canadians that cellphone competition would be bad for us. Yeah, real bad.

These are the people, via their media outlets, trying to convince Canada that the Leafs are Canada’s Team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

How these two ‘competitors’ were allowed to team up to buy MLSE I’ll never understand. In what way does this benefit Canadians, that two great oligopolists drop the pretense and actually collaborate to milk the public held hostage with a cultural institution? Wouldn’t it have been better if they were involved in a bidding war, and one side ‘won’ and got to package the Leafs ringtones with its products, and the other actually had to compete, by, you know, maybe offering better service and lower prices?

———————————————————————–
        … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Strummer says:

What’s really lame is calling your soccer team FC Toronto.
      FC stands for football club.

It’s called soccer in North America and they play in the MLS not the MLF.

Maybe SC Toronto ?
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habs-fan-84 says:

No, they got it right naming the team Toronto FC.

• Luke says:

(Hee hee … MLF ;) )

Toronto FC isn’t as bad as Real Salt Lake City.

Real. Spanish for Royal. Two things Salt Lake City isn’t.

Yet, this is still better than the Ottawa DifferentColours.

• bel33 says:

The one I was confused by was CD Chivas USA. What? Where do you play? Is this an alcoholic beverage?

Apparently they play in Carson California.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Real Salt Lake’s name is an homage to the founder of Mormonism, Joseph Smith.

Smith was affected by intense emotionally powerful visions, which shaped his theology. It was a vision of a Great Lake in the Sky, and a message from God to seek out this lake, that led his followers to settle on the banks of Salt Lake in Utah, a lake that resembled Smith’s descriptions of this vision. There they founded their most important outpost.

Years later the soccer team called themselves ‘Real Salt Lake’ meaning: not the hallucination, the real one.

Nothing to do with Spanish royalty.

• Luke says:

Hmmm… While an intriguing story, i feel its a bit of a strech. Plus, I’m gonna have a hard time disassociating it from Real Madrid especially since the two teams have a co-operation agreement.

I can be a cynic though, so I’m assuming they adopted the recognizeable European name to appeal to the pre-existing soccer fans and then created the backstory to appeal to the local population and blend in the history of the area.

• Cal says:

Houston Dynamo? Really?
          How did they think that European names like that would actually take off in the US? Another reason why soccer (football in North America is a different sport altogether) will take forever to “catch on” and become a major league.

• bel33 says:

They aren’t the only ones in MLS to do that… Dallas FC and Seattle Sounders FC as well.

The MLS and the majority of the new teams in the league… are trying to draw on soccer fans’ love of the Euro leagues etc.

I get what you’re saying though.

• Chris says:

It is called both football and soccer in North America.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Football: I can’t believe it’s not soccer!

Now with 10% more Real!

Catch the fever!

The Simpsons encapsulated soccer perfectly in a 90 second clip:

Here’s my take on it, should have been posted on a Friday rant thread:

• Hstands4Hockey says:

…….they haven’t even reported on the big Ryan White signing yet.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Sportfan says:

All of these dumb soccer names add to why I dont like it lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Is there anything in particular that prompted all these Simmonds discussions? Are Habs rumoured to be interested in him? Is it CONFIRMED?

• Hstands4Hockey says:

AllHabs.net (Which from what i can see is a guy in his basement that has a website) reported “rumblings” (i.e. nothing) Montreal has asked about Simmonds (i.e. they didn’t). (Source: None)

It’s still more credible than an Eklund HockeyBuzz rumour though.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Un Canadien errant says:

Every team is interested in Wayne Simmonds, in the Age of Goonery. Not many can afford what it would cost though.

31. junyab says:

Simmonds is a dynamic complementary player. He can do just about anything on the ice. He knows his role when playing on the third line, first line or PP. He scraps, goes to the dirty areas, puts the puck in the net. Basically what Gallagher will be, but bigger and fights.

32. Whatever says:

If we didn’t sign Kristo, would we have got a compensatory pick like with Fischer? Or, is that only for unsigned players picked in the first round?

I’m not currently moaning over Kristo, but I would have preferred a pick instead of Thomas if that were the case.

33. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the Danny Kristo thing.

From here, and until they make several glaring player personnel mistakes if ever, perhaps we should all cautiously begin to start trusting our ‘only starting 2nd year’ management team.

Yes, we have been burnt since the days of Serge Savard – and embarrassed for some years, yet these guys deserve a well-earned shot at making the Habs great again.

GM Bergevin:
    1271 NHL games played. Cup ring in Chicago.

AGM Dudley:
    608 NHL and WHA games played. Played in Cup Final 1975 and big part of the Tampa build to the Cup and Chicago.

AGM Carriere:
    394 NHL games played. Played in Cup final 1975 and was a long time AGM for Buffalo including a Cup Final in 1999.

DPP Mellanby:
    1567 NHL games played. 388 goals/893 pts and 2699 penalty minutes.

All these guys were tough, character, team players….and let’s remember what Kenny Holland once said, even if Habs fans want miracles in 1-2-3 years:
    ” It takes 10 years to truly evaluate a GM’s record for all facets of the job.”

Perhaps we can give our management team maybe…3 years?
    They’ve done a great job so far!

• Eddie says:

Not sure what this post means, Ron. Even the best and brightest managers make mistakes in ALL areas and industries.

So you want us (me) to not question any of Bergevin’s decisions for 3 years?

Sorry. That’s not happening.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Eddie
        You can question as much as you wish, but these guys deserve some time to put together what they believe will make the Habs competitive not for 1 Hail Mary year, but for several years.

Look what they took over just 1 year ago.
        Look what the Habs have now.
        Than let’s see what their player personnel moves accomplish this year along with their draft picks moving forward.
        All of that takes some time….

• Ian Cobb says:

Ron, So far, the new management has stuck to it’s guns. They said they were going to grow this club through the draft and development program, and fill in holes along the way with short term contracts, without giving up on our kids to early.

I love the long term approach!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Maritime Ronn says:

Ian

As you well know, the hardest thing in Montreal is not to panic – to stick to the plan, regardless of media/fan pressure.
        What this gang does this year/ at the trade deadline and before, will be all telling.

We might not like the short term ‘cod liver oil medicine’, yet I seem to remember several on this site last April at the trade deadline that wanted to sacrifice at least one 2nd round pick for Douglas Murray (The Pens gave 2/2nd Round picks for him)…and now we have him and it cost ZERO assets.

34. Bripro says:

I don’t know if it’s been posted yet or not. Apologies if it has.

Here’s Carey Price, talking about his wedding, and today in Calgary.

• Eddie says:

it would not shock me if Kristo scored 15+ goals for the Rangers this season. he’s making the team in October, that’s for sure.

“Danny’s a little older. He’s a little more experienced playing a lot in college,” Rangers director of player personnel Gordie Clark told the team’s website following the trade. “We have a situation where Hagelin and Callahan are going to be out [with injuries], at least in the beginning. We feel he has a good chance to fill in one of those roles.”

• Bill says:

Still a bizarre trade to me. Just a head-scratcher.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

He never wanted to play in Montreal, and so Bergevin got what he could for him. Seems he could have gotten more, though.

• Eddie says:

I’m not sure he “never” wanted to play for us. I believe he made that decision in the spring when he realized he was heading to Hamilton.

I had him making our lineup with Gionta out to begin the season – and I posted that here several times.

He has great offensive talent – elite speed – and a real offensive threat.

• twilighthours says:

I’m just speculating Ed. You know I know squat.

• pmaraw says:

McDonagh 2.0?

• Luke says:

Fortunately, there are more Valentenko 2.0s out there than there are McDonagh 2.0s

• Eddie says:

Valentenko was drafted in the 5th round, 139 overall.

• Luke says:

OK. Higgins’.

I just meant the impactfulness of the players. It’s still LeClair’s shadow looming… sadly (for us, not him) McD looks like he’ll be really solid player for a long time. But, the number of brutal trades with stars sent for zero return are pretty few.
            That was more my point…

• Sportfan says:

He would be lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• junyab says:

If Kristo turns out to be a solid player (like Ryan McDonagh), we really should stop trading with the Rangers.

35. Luke says:

Tangent Alert:

I had forgotten how great a song (and album) Graceland is.

• habsfan0 says:

One of Paul Simon’s best efforts.

• twilighthours says:

The man is a legend. His arrangement of Bach into American Tune is nothing short of a masterpiece.

• Bill says:

Absolute classic. Every track is great.

It wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste, but I also recommend the cover version of “Graceland” by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Cal says:

Graceland is Paul Simon’s greatest album.
      It is an eclectic blend of Zydeco, rock and roll and world music provided by the incomparable Ladysmith Black Mombazo.
      The lyrics and the music chosen for each song work so well together. Awesome is too base a word to describe Graceland.

36. Maritime Ronn says:

An RDS reporter that was in Calgary yesterday reported these were the Defence Pairings that were on the ice…oops, I mean the floor.

This is in no specific order here, yet what does it mean…if anything?

Duncan Keith-Shea Weber
    Marc Staal-Drew Doughty
    Jay Bouwmeester-Alex Pietrangelo
    Marc Methot-Kristopher Letang
    Karl Alzner-Mike Green
    Marc-Édouard Vlasic-Dan Boyle
    Dion Phaneuf-Brent Seabrook
    * Dan Hamhuis-P.K. Subban

• mrhabby says:

means zero..thats how i view this whole process. Face it there are some locks like crosby/doughty etc, etc but the majority will be picked on how the first 3 months of the season go.

• JUST ME says:

The only sure thing is that this time Canada needs to put his best skaters and more mobile players to cover the big olympic rink. This is their main disadvantage against the other countries. So although in theory the olympic team is made with the best of the trade, still they will have to sort them according to a different criteria.

• junyab says:

It means that their defence pairings will pair up a defensive guy and an offensive guy…and if you happen to be both, then your first line pairing.

• Timo says:

PK is not white enough. Back of the bus for him.

37. Mark C says:

Jedi – I always liked Kristo’s game but if he’s a teams top prospect that teams system is in a bad place. If he was still here, at best, he’d rank 3rd behind Nate the great and Tinman. I think most observers would have Collberg ahead, and many would have Hudon and a few of the new guys ahead of Danny as well.

Personally I’d rank Kristo interchangeably in the 5-10 range in Montreal’s pool. This is also where Thomas ranks for me.

• Whatever says:

I never had much interest in Kristo. Seems like very poor character and spent enough years in college that he should have dominated with better stats. We shall see, but I didn’t shed any tears.

• commandant says:

Yup, Kristo would have have been fourth (just like Thomas), if the trade never happened. I’d have Beaulieu, Tinordi, Collberg all ahead.

That said, I didn’t have kristo #1 with New York, I had Kreider and JT Miller ahead.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

38. jedimyrmidon says:

NHL’s 30 in 30 series examining all NHL teams, including prospects.

They list Danny Kristo as the Rangers’ top prospect. Is this just a sign that their pool isn’t that strong?

EotP has Bozon ranked as #11 on their Top 25 under 25. Not sure I am in agreement: he’s placed over McCarron, De La Rose, Thomas and Fucale (who is waaay down at #22).

• HabFanSince72 says:

Or a sign that they shafted us.

Again.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hope not. Though I’m not sure if Kristo ever really wanted to play for the Habs. Yes, he did sign a two year ELC, but it almost seems that Bergevin was shopping him around as soon as he signed it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The notion that a rookie, drafted in the 2nd round, who has never played in the NHL could demand a trade is not realistic.

Like all rookies he was indentured to us. If he wanted to play pro hockey he pretty much had to play for the Habs.

• jedimyrmidon says:

In Kristo’s case, he spent 4 years at UND, meaning, if he remained unsigned by mid-August, he could have become a UFA. So, yes, he could have walked, which is why him signing a contract was an encouraging sign.

• Eddie says:

absolutely he could have walked away from the Habs and the reason why he didn’t is probably because they literally promised to trade him this summer.

• habstrinifan says:

I think Commandant’s site (if I recall correctly) recently ranked Danny Kristo as Rangers 3rd top prospect and Rangers as #12 in team rankings. Both seemed high then and this #1 ranking is more surprising.

• commandant says:

Team Rankings aren’t released yet…

But yes, we had Kristo as third on the team.

Team Rankings come at the end…. the Rangers got published when they did cause I’m going by draft order (with no trades).

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

OH NO!! Damn we sure need a skilled, undersized forward!

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

39. Sportfan says:

Check out my article, I talk about my great experience in Vermont experiencing minor league baseball. I really enjoyed it and hope to do it again soon.

40. Bripro says:

Attention HabinBurlington.
    Hey Gerry, did you get my email regarding Corey Crawford’s VIP dinner?
    Please get back to me.
    I sent you another one this morning.
    But I don’t have the other email address you sent me.

41. Cal says:

Have to wonder how many calls a day that Chiarelli and Holmgren get regarding trades for Lucic and Simmonds?
    These players are very rare. No GM would trade them unless they are receiving a Crosby or a Malkin type player in return. Last I looked, the Habs don’t have either of those to offer up.

This isn’t the good old days when Pollock could screw pretty much every other GM out there. Some of them actually have hockey acumen. (Of course, I have to exclude Milbury, but, then again, he is long gone from destroying the Islanders.)

42. thebonscott says:

It is not so much that wouldn’t trade gallagher for simmonds, but I would try not too, how about that thomas kid, and diaz

Habs Fanatic Since 1984

• Luke says:

A ‘B’ prospect and a 2nd tier offensive Dman with ‘questionable’ defensive talents for a proven NHL Power Forward who is as tough as they get with a very team friendly contract?

Yes, If I was Montreal’s GM and Philly proposed that deal I’d accept it without hesitation.
      I’d also wish Holmgren “good luck!” in his upcoming job search before I hung up the phone.

• thebonscott says:

okay, okay…….easy. I wonder who was involved in the discussion???
        And regarding Holmgren, he traded the current vezina trophy winner for a backup goalie, and signed bryzgalov, if that doesn’t get you fired nothing will.

Habs Fanatic Since 1984

43. Summit Tickets arrived.

Section 304 Row FF Seat 1

Thanks Ian!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

44. Say Ash says:

You guys seriously wouldn’t trade Gallagher for Simmonds straight up? Wow.

45. JTT says:

Simmonds – you’d be getting size – Right now he’s nothing more than a 3rd liner …

46. Cal says:

Good morning, crew.
    I hate to wish days away, but (since I have a nasty cold ) I can’t wait for training camp and some real Habs hockey news.

47. commandant says:

The Top Shelf Prospect Report you’ve been waiting for.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habfan10912 says:

Really getting excited about this Colberg kid. Have read some very positive things about him. Nice work Ben.

No Ron, that’s not part of my contract. (insert smiley face)

• 24 Cups says:

Here’s a question. Thomas is listed as the team’s 4th best prospect. Would you trade him for Leblanc or Hudon? Are these guys not better prospects?

• Eddie says:

It seems that Leblanc and Hudon will need to get past injuries first before we can judge their talents.

I confess I have seen little of Thomas, pardon the pun.

I know he’s a scorer but we already have Gionta, Briere and Gallagher don’t we?

Will Thomas be happy waiting out the 2014 and 2015 season until Briere and Gionta are both gone?

Because that is likely why Kristo wanted to be traded.

• commandant says:

Thomas has the highest potential of the three, and is the best player of the three. He has the most trade value as well.

However, because of our abundance of small, skilled, right wingers…. Gallagher on the team, Collberg, Lehkonen, he might be a redundant piece.

Leblanc is more likely to be able to play a two way role.
        Hudon is also more likely to be able to play a two way role and is a LW.

So to our team he is more redundant, but I rank on who is the best prospect not on what guys are redundant. So I think he’s the best prospect of the three.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks for posting Ben. Good read. I really like our D in the next few years. Nate B I think is going to be a good one.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habstrinifan says:

I am tired of asking everyone to acknowledge Bournival. I know many here wont admit it but I was doing the same as far as touting Gallagher when people were placing Le Blanc and Atsvin or others in front of Gallagher.

We shall see.

Shane and Sherri,
    I will e-mail you both a list of members that are going this year.
    Bare in mind that I only have the purchaser’s name. Some bought as many as 6 tickets for family and friends.!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

49. thebonscott says:

So Bergevin was talking with philly about wayne simmonds according to allhabs.net, and also tried to trade up with them for Morin, and apparently troy brouwer is available, hmmm what would brouwer OR simmonds cost?? White and diaz??? a draft pick??
    Nevertheless, i like how MB is thinking

Habs Fanatic Since 1984

• Habfan10912 says:

I like how he is thinking as well. With Prust, Parros and Murray we’ll now be able to answer the bell if teams are so inclined.

I still think the teams success will hinge greatly on the play of Price. The weakest part of the team – at least for the time being – is on defense and Price is going to have to be very good on most nights. Average won’t cut it. The team will go as far as Price’s play warrants.

• doc359 says:

It would have to be good package to get Simmonds out of philly, and brouwer would need atleast a top4 Dman you figure.
      would you trade Gallagher straight up for simmonds?

• junyab says:

I think you’re extremely undervaluing Simmonds. It would take a BOAT LOAD to get him out of Philly. You’d be looking at a young roster player with talent, a prospect and a high pick.

50. Good Morning My Peoples

The 2013 Summit Name Tags are almost ready for print.

I require all who are attending Hurley’s on Friday night to send me their ID and name so that I can have them ready for print.

You can list your info on facebook, or private message me on facebook.

The Summit, Where Great Fans Come to Play

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

51. Mavid says:

Weed Wacker Gramda Smurf

52. twilighthours says:

Being up this early would be great if I could actually get out of bed and do something productive

The fact you got a coherent post out that early is productive, you can continue as you were. Morning Twi!

• Chris says:

I know the feeling…with the students return just around the corner, I wish I had more get up and go! You must be looking forward to the return of classes.

• Phil C says:

Bah, you teachers need to recharge the batteries. Spend the day playing Mariocart in your underwear, or maybe something really productive like a binge Netflix session, perhaps three seasons worth of River Monsters. You’ll be getting up and going soon enough.

• Chris says:

Problem for universities is that summer isn’t a time to recharge the batteries. Research, conferences, course design, experiment building…that’s the stuff you finally have time for in the summer, so you’ve got to get it done while you don’t have to worry about interrupting students.

The big difference is that the students we teach **want** to be there. I can’t emphasize enough how much of a difference that makes. I could never teach high school…those teachers are equal parts educator, counsellor, babysitter and police officer at times. They deserve every second of the summer break they get before their professional development activities start up in earnest before the school year.

53. Habilis says:

So a couple of hours ago, Bobby Ryan tweeted about sitting next to Patches at the team USA dinner:

“Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9
    My new rival Pacioretty is the assigned seat next to me at USA dinner… Is it ok to kick his chair out as he sits down?”

Our new resident enforcer responded:

“George Parros ‏@GeorgeParros
    “@b_ryan9: My new rival Pacioretty is the seat next to me at USA dinner. Is it ok to kick his chair out as he sits down?” Play nice bobby”

BAHAHAHA! How can you not love this guy already?

54. SmartDog says:

Chris had a good post below where he compared some players, the point being that we forget about the prospects that excited us in the past, and are assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this team is THAT much better.
    His “now versus then” comparisons are:
    1. Subban/Markov
    2. Gallagher/S. Kostitysn
    3. Eller/Plekanec
    4. Tinordi/Komisarek

I would say that while Chris has a point, the upside in EACH current case is potentially higher. Subban at his prime may be a better player than Markov at his. Gallagher to me is the one that is most likely to far outdistance his comparator. Of course SK74 had issues that probably hurt him – and yes he did look good for about a year. As much as I like Plekanec, if Eller continues the road he is on, his size and strength may make him a better contributor too. Komiserik/Tinordi is an interesting comparison. Who could have guessed how far Komisaurus would fall? No-one really. So Tinordi really should have the easiest battle, being a large solid 2-way shut down guy without the pressure of being a top 10 pick or people buzzing about his future captaincy.

So i guess my point is, that while Chris has a lesson for us, the grass may ACTUALLY be quite a bit greener here. And then as Chris pointed out you have Galchenyuk who looks like he could be the best forward we’ve seen in a generation. And then there’s Price.

Serious potential here. What I find most positive is that the team seems to have a solid plan, and stable hands at the wheel. And that may make all the difference.

I’m looking for a big step forward from Galchenyuk. He’s going to be the face of this franchise by 2015.

• VancouverHab says:

I love Eller, but you’re under-valuing Pleks to say that the former has potential to exceed the latter.

Eller in the best case (as I hope & believe that he will become) will equal Pleks.

• SmartDog says:

Well… Pleks is my favorite Hab. Has been for as long as he’s been one.

And you’re probably right…. but I watch Eller when he’s at his best and he shows crazy potential. So as much as I appreciate Pleks, I’m hoping… and maybe being foolishly optimistic, that Eller will have more offensive upside, and play a similar D game quite well too. But yah, it’s a hill to climb.

• savethepuck says:

I am also a huge Plex fan, but I think Eller could possibly be better. When I compare players, I compare them to how they were both doing the same # of years after their draft year, and if you compare these 2 players, they have comparable stats. I think the advantage that Eller has, is that he is bigger and appears to have more skills or a better scoring touch ( I base this on his shootouts ).

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• SmartDog says:

I’m hoping you’re right – and as I’ve said I think you could be (I want to agree).

But though Eller has been good in some shoot-outs, there’s no-one on the team I’d rather have get a break-away than Pleks. He seems to create chances for himself and to do well when he does.

• Habfan17 says:

When you compared, did you take into account when they made the NHL?

Pleks made it at 23 years old, probably would have made it at 22, but they had the lockout. His first year he put up 29 points in 67 games. His second season he put up 47 points in 81 games, and his third year, he put up 69 points in 81, then in his 4th year dropped to 39 points, -9, in 80 games. Not sure what his TOI was to be fair

Eller, was playing in the NHL at 22, had 17 points in 77 games with limited ice time and being played out of his natural position, his second season, he put up 28 points in 79 games, again with mostly 3rd line minutes and some shuffling around. His 3rd season, he had 30 points in 46 games, was plus 8 and again had limited ice time and hardly any power play time. I would say he is a bit ahead in his development than Pleks was at the same point, and in my opinion, has more upside. The biggest diffrence to me is that Eller seems more willing to play physically. Pleks is not small at 5’11″ and 200 lbs. Gallagher is smaller and hits with more impact than Pleks.

I like Pleks and what he brings, but I give the nod to Eller for now. This season will let us see if he is for real and can get better.

Habfan17

• twilighthours says:

Agreed, vancouverhab. That’s rare for us. I like it.

• junyab says:

Eller’s size makes his upsize slightly better than Pleks.

• GrimJim says:

Now think about the secondary characters. PAtches is already ahead of Ryder. Emelin has a higher upside than O’Byrne. We didn’t have a comparable to Beaulieu, nor Ellis nor Nygren, in years past. The question marks, though are still on the forwards. Can Bournival exceed Lapierre? Can Leblanc match Higgins? We’re still two or three years away from Collberg or De La Rose or Andreghettio being in the mix but even there the long-term has more promise than in previous years.

• Chris says:

Beaulieu, Ellis and Nygren have to make the show first. Chances are, only one of them will.

In 2008-09, we did not have Beaulieu, Ellis and Nygren. We had Subban, Weber, McDonagh and Mathieu Carle. Which list looks better to you?

Now we look at Bournival, Leblanc, Collberg, De La Rose, Lehkonen and Andrighetto. In 2008-09, the forwards looking to break onto the team were Latendresse, Pacioretty, Maxwell, White, Kristo, Quailer, and Chipchura. Only one of them reached his potential (Pacioretty), with Kristo still a possible threat to do so.

My point was that people keep talking about potential of today’s guys, but forget that when we were talking Habs five years ago we did the exact same thing with the exact same hopes. The reality is that half the prospects on our current list will have as much impact on the team as Ryan White, if they are lucky.

Even Timmins, who has one of the best batting averages when it comes to the draft, has basically only found 19 regulars out of 70 draft picks from 2003-2010. That is 27%. So take the current crop of prospects and figure that 1 of 4 will be a regular, or 1 of 3 if you think he did exceptionally well.

• 24 Cups says:

Well said, Chris. My point, exactly.

• habstrinifan says:

I stand adamant that you wont find a post of mine championing any of our recent ‘past prospects’ as I had done with Gallagher and am doing with Bournival.

And if Hudon had some size and the proper body type I would be championing him too above LeBlanc and Thomas and all the others I see being ranked so highly.

The only two prospects who have come out of the system in the last few years and achieved or surpassed their draft pedigree and ranking have been Gallagher and Subban.

Price’s career in my opinion has fallen short of his draft ranking and heralded status.
          Pacioretty is close.
          Galchenyuk is too early to call.

Just my opinion of course.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think you are right on all counts, and I sure don’t remember Markov ever being close to a Norris.

• Chris says:

Compare Markov in 2008-09 to Subban in 20012-13 (which I will prorate over an 82 game season:

Markov:

78 GP, 12 G, 52 A, 64 PTS, -2 , 35 PIM, 7 PPG, 61 Hits, 111 BS, 16:17 ES TOI, 3:10 SH TOI, 5:09 PP TOI,

Subban:

72 GP, 19 G, 46 A, 65 PTS, +12, 97 PIM, 12 PPG, 87 Hits, 84 BS, 17:05 ES TOI, 1:27 SH TOI, 4:42 PP TOI

I would argue that Subban’s Norris Trophy season was offensively similar to Markov’s best full season, but much weaker defensively. The difference? Subban won the Norris, while Markov finished 6th.

Subban basically had a relatively weak Norris Trophy field. He was tremendously fortunate that Erik Karlsson was felled by injury, as Karlsson would likely siphon away some of the votes that go to the highest scoring defenceman. He also benefit from Letang’s injury, as this prevented Letang from running away with the scoring race (he would have) while playing behind the stacked Penguins offence.

Where he was REALLY lucky was that Shea Weber didn’t have a full 82 game season to get going. Weber had 1 assist to show for his first 12 games, adjusting to life on the second worst offensive team in the NHL post lockout (only the 2010-11 Devils scored fewer goals per game than the Predators put up last season). But Weber turned it on for the rest of the season, posting quite respectable offensive numbers (9 G and 27 PTS in his remaining 36 games) to go with his all-around defensive game, which is the best in the NHL.

• habstrinifan says:

So Subban would have wilted and Weber prospered if there were a full 82 game?.

For a post that started out on a foundation of comparative stats this conclusion destroys your conclusion.

• Chris says:

No…Subban would not have wilted. I never said that.

Weber got out of the gate very slow, but was back to his perennial Norris Trophy form. Unfortunately, the abbreviated season meant that he didn’t have enough games to smear that poor start out the way he would have with an 82 game season.

Prorate Weber’s numbers over the rest of the season.

He was playing at 2 points every 3 games. Over 70 games, that would have seen him post about 57 points, even with that brutal start for the remaining 12 games. Weber finished 9th in defencemen scoring, but only 4 points out of 3rd. He was making up ground like crazy, but ran out of track. In a full 82-game season, Weber probably finishes 3rd or 4th in defencemen scoring, and he becomes a much more serious candidate for the Norris Trophy based on his reputation, leadership, toughness and defensive acumen, all of which are perceived as greater than Subban’s.

Subban would still beat him in offence. He would have finished somewhere around 70 points in an 82 game season. Maybe Therrien finally grows a brain stem and uses Subban on the PK, improving Subban’s candidacy.

Subban was very consistent. Weber was very consistent after the 12 game mark. But those 12 games represented 25% of this shortened season, instead of 14% of the full season. It is hard to overlook sub-standard production for 1/4 of the season.

I do think it is a fair question whether Montreal would have wilted. Subban earned some votes by being the top defenceman on a top team. Would Montreal have stayed at the top for another 30 games? We’ll never know. They absolutely make the playoffs, but I’m not sure they had the depth to hold off some of their challengers.

55. Small_Town_Boy says:

Carey Price will make many people in the Hockey World eat crow this season. Carey will have a great season. Will he be the Starting Goalie @ the Olympics? I don’t know. But he will be the #2 …

• SmartDog says:

My math ain’t too good. But I’m figurin’ if Price is number 2 goalie, then he probably ain’t number 1 goalie. Ergo, Fargo, he’s not the starter goaler.

• Sportfan says:

I agree Price will have a great season!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Price will be a middling steady goaltender who will give the team a chance to win every night they have a two goal lead. His stats will be fine but he will continue to be an honest guy who doesn’t steal games. Against the elite goalies in the league, he will be a solid second, but if the team in front of him scores, he will be have a good record.
        If we expect that, we will have no reason to go berserk all season long. It’s what we’ve seen, and what I expect we will continue to see for the rest of Price’s career.
        It’s time to focus on the rest of the team – goaltending is not the key to a strong habs season. The less important Price becomes to this team, the better the team and the season will be.

• Timo says:

Will he make them eat crow in the playoffs?

56. Eddie says:

reading this piece about Jacob de la Rose made me think back to the old days and a young man out of the Peterborough Petes.

57. jeffhabfan says:

Just got my Ticket today White Section 305 Row FF Seat 11.Thanks again Ian.

ONLY 6 HIO SUMMIT ROOMS LEFT !

SUMMIT HOTEL RATE AGREEMENT
    Hockey Inside Out
    REQUIREMENT
    Arrival : Friday 25th, 26th October, 2013 – check-in 15:00
    Departure : check-out 12:00
    Housing Procedure: Individual calling
    Deadline: September 25th 2013
    Method of Payment : Individual
    Although the hotel is not blocking any rooms, it guarantees the below rates until September 25th 2013.
    After that date, the rates are no longer guaranteed
    Tarification
    Single Double Triple Quad
    $119 $119 $144 $169
    Phone.-1-866-861-6112

59. twilighthours says:

I’m enjoying this new timo. He’s got a sense of humor that is not all caustic, hateful sarcasm.

I love it.

60. habs11s says:

Toews for Captain Canuck!!

_____________________________________________________________

Have fun at the summit game everybody who is going. I’ll see y’all at Hurley’s afterwards!!!!

62. Thurston says:

If it hasn’t been stated and if there are those awaiting this info, Douglas Murray will wear #6.

• L Elle says:

The consensus seems to be, it’s Luongo’s job to lose, and who cares anyway, the final decision will be made months from now. The Talking Heads are baaaack. :)

• on2ndthought says:

“If one were to get into the heads of Team Canada’s management and coaching staff, they’re hoping dearly that Price bounces back and shows that he’s ready for the job. He’s the guy I think they feel can really grab this. ”

good for us if he does. nice comments on the pressure cooker that is Montreal. Carey will be solid in Sochi.

“a cannonading drive”

63. punkster says:

Wait…these aren’t my glasses…I can’t see anything past my nose.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

64. JohnBellyful says:

Has anyone seen my glasses?

65. punkster says:

Tickets arrived!!!

304
    FF
    Seats 5 and 6

I’m fat.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

Big Thanks to Ian Cobb, just got my tickets for Summit.

67. Un Canadien errant says:

Steve Simmons on the Team Canada roster:

Here is my breakdown, purely personal, of Canada’s Olympic hockey team, with absolutely nothing being established at this weekend’s rather meaningless and overblown training camp without skating.

The 11 sure things Bob Nicholson talks about but doesn’t name by my count: Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Claude Giroux, Eric Staal, Steven Stamkos, Carey Price.

The closest to sure things: Kris Letang, P.K. Subban, Alex Pietrangelo, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Logan Couture and the hottest Canadian goalie in the first three months of the NHL season, whomever he may be.

The bottom of the roster: Mike Richards, Martin St. Louis, Marc Staal (if healthy), Brent Seabrook and Jordan Staal.

The last spots: Roberto Luongo, Taylor Hall.

For now.

———————————————————————–

• 24 Cups says:

Jordan Staal? I hope not.

Canada is going to have to score some goals and that means Taylor Hall. This guy is about to go nuclear. He’ll be a great pick in your hockey pool.

Kris Letang? What does this guy bring besides offence, something Team Canada will have plenty of on the back end.

• Mike D says:

I don’t give too much credibility to Steve Simmons, but even then I wonder why he concludes that Eric Staal is a “sure thing”.

Has anyone even seen him play since his knee injury? He went down awful hard and looked like he was writhing in pain (didn’t look ‘fake’ either)…..and it was what, a sprained knee or something like that?

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny
      The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Eric Staal suffered a third-degree tear of his medial collateral ligament (MCL), which didn’t require surgery; such a tear on an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) necessitates reconstruction surgery. So he got off kind of lucky, he just had to do tonnes of rehab this summer. And yeah, Alex Edler’s move was bush league.

I suffered a 2nd to 3rd degree MCL tear snowboarding, and was back on snow in a month and a half, and my knee has been fine ever since, so I would think he has a good prognosis, and shouldn’t have any problems. I think I read a report out of Carolina that he’s good to go.

• on2ndthought says:

Can’t remember the poster, but a few threads back someone was touting Eberle. This generation’s Henderson?

“a cannonading drive”

68. Un Canadien errant says:

Keith Bulluck needs to have a chat with Patrick Kane.

Let’s say that Team Canada goes with Doughty/Weber/Seabrook on the right side. Fine. Let’s also assume they go with three lefties. Fine. Is there anyone left on either defensive side who would be better than Subban in terms of selecting a 7th Dman?

I still think this comes down to Subban vs Pietrangelo.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2h
    Your RD possibilities are: Doughty, Weber, Petro, Subban, Letang, Boyle, Seabrook, Hamonic, Green.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2h
    Your LD possibilities: Keith, JBo, M Staal, Vlasic, Hamhuis, Methot, Phaneuf, Alzner.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2h
    Couple of things to keep in mind: who plays LD and who plays RD. This coaching staff wants at least 3 LD, maybe 4.

• Chris says:

It really depends on who is left out. I think people are too quick to write off the chances of both Letang and Green. They are not Subban’s equal offensively, but they have a proven track-record of knowing how to play with superstars.

Subban’s major strength is the power play. But if Canada likes its chances with Doughty, Keith and Weber (with Seabrook as a very capable 4th PP shooter), Subban’s value plummets if we’re looking at the season he just had.

With so many offensively gifted players there already, it is easy to see that they might be looking for stalwart shut-down defenders to fill out the blue line. Stephane Robidas was an alternate to the 2010 Team Canada for that reason, and the same logic can be used to justify the candidacy of players like Hamhuis, Vlasic and Staal, all of whom are widely considered among the top 5 to top 10 shutdown defencemen in the game.

Subban’s got to show he can create offence 5 vs. 5 and it would be great if Therrien could give him a chance to strut his stuff killing penalties. We all know he is good at it. But the league’s scouts might not remember that far back in a “What have you done lately?” competition.

• 24 Cups says:

Letang was one of the reasons that Pittsburgh failed in this year’s playoffs. He did not excel in all facets of the game. To even consider Green as a remote possibility is a total joke in my eyes. He’s couldn’t tie up Subban’s skates.

I’m not being a homer here as I try to stay away from all the Go Habs Go crap. However, Subban is an elite skater, a very strong, muscular player who is able to hold his own in his team’s end. He can certainly handle the big ice surface and has enough raw talent and natural skill to move over to the other side if injuries hit Team Canada. He would also be highly motivated in terms of putting on a great show to help land a super nova contract.

In September, it will be time to start listing ways the Habs need to improve. But I can tell you right now that MT needs to up Subban’s TTOI by three minutes and also increase his PK time. It’s a total no brainer in terms of enhanced team performance for 2013-14.

• Eddie says:

Just as some didn’t see Subban raising the level of his game to win the Norris, some might be underestimating him again.

Subban will be chosen. Subban will play marvellously.

Subban will emerge this season as one of the truly great athletes in the game.

5 on 5, PK, PP, 3 zones, physical play, dynamic, mobile play, it doesn’t matter.

• on2ndthought says:

“a cannonading drive”

• Chris says:

I agree with everything you say. All of it.

But I still think he’s got an immaturity to his game that he needs to to clean up in these three areas:

1. Decision making:

He often makes brain-dead rushes, wasting energy on 1 vs. 4 or 1 vs. 5 rushes at the end of a shift instead of making the smart play. This has been a complaint of mine for the past two seasons…you simply can’t keep doing that if you’re playing 25-30 minutes per game.

2. Way, way too many stupid penalties.

This is the one and only thing that I could see keeping him off a Mike Babcock team if he maintains his level from last season. Compare the number of minor penalties taken by the major candidates:

Subban – 21
            Phaneuf – 20
            Doughty – 18
            Bouwmeester – 11
            Beauchemin – 11
            Green – 10
            Weber – 9
            Seabrook – 9
            Keith – 8
            Vlasic – 7
            Pietrangelo – 5
            Letang – 4

Then you get the playoffs, where Subban took 8 minor penalties in 5 games, as compared to Doughty (another notorious hothead dating back to his Guelph days…he’s got a long fuse, but a wicked temper when it goes off) taking 4 minors in 18 playoof games.

Subban’s penalty total is way, way too much for a discipline-first coach like Babcock, who was talking yesterday about how guys that want to make the team MUST avoid taking bad penalties and giving the puck away. Those are two areas where Subban still has some trouble.

3. Passing

I’ve said it before, but the one area where I think Habs fans drastically overrate Subban is with his passing ability. When clearing the zone, Subban is more likely to try to skate the puck out of the zone then pass it to his wingers. When he does make the pass, it is often a half-second too late, squandering their momentum or opportunity to beat their mark.

In the offensive zone, there are times to shoot and times to pass. And when you make those passes, they should be to the tape of the teammate. Subban is hit and miss: some days he is an absolute brilliant passer, but other games his passing in the offensive zone was very weak. He frequently put it into Markov’s skates or missed the tape, taking away the shooting opportunity as his teammate had to scramble to maintain possession.

With the forwards he is likely to share the ice with, not putting the pass into the wheelhouse of a shooter like Stamkos can cost the team goals.

This is of course a ton of nitpicking. I could do the same for every other defenceman on the above list, and in many cases the list would dwarf that of Subban.

My darkhorse is Francois Beauchemin. He finished 4th in the Norris voting after an absolutely stellar season last year. He shoots left (the weaker side), he’s a veteran that plays all situations well, he’s an exceptional shot-blocker and he’s got a great team to boost his profile if he can continue his fine play of this past season. If anybody has cause to feel slighted from all these pundit polls, it is Beauchemin, who is rarely if ever even mentioned.

70. Mikey_39 says:

I’ve just moved to Burlington (VT) and I remember that there are a couple of people that live there. Would anybody be able to suggest any sports bars that would show the habs games?