A therapy day for Pacioretty, Gorges before Habs head to Philly

Coming off their 6-0 loss to the Los Angeles Kings Tuesday night at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens practised Wednesday morning in Brossard before heading to Philadelphia to face the Flyers Thursday night (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Max Pacioretty and Josh Gorges took therapy days and didn’t skate Wednesday, but are expected to play against the Flyers. Gorges, who played in his 162nd consecutive regular-season game against the Kings, is the Canadiens’ current ironman. Andrei Markov is second on that list with 90 consecutive games played.

Rene Bourque, who has missed the last four games with an upper-body injury, skated before practice but will remain sidelined until next Monday.

Brandon Prust spoke to reporters after practice Wednesday about the loss to the Kings.

“You definitely want to learn from it, but you also want to forget about it, too,” he said. “We get back to work today and try and forget about it and focus on the next game.

“Sometimes after games like that you wished you played the next day. You don’t want to sit around for too long. You want to get right back at it. We got back to work today and we’re our normal selves out there, just trying to hold our heads high. Stuff like that happens. We didn’t have it, we didn’t have the bounces, we didn’t play well, but we will next game.”

The Canadiens will be resting Wednesday night in Philadelphia while the Flyers play the Blackhawks in Chicago (8 p.m., TSN2). The Kings are back in action Wednesday night in Toronto against the Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS2).

After Thursday’s game, the Canadiens visit the New York Islanders Saturday night before playing a rare 6 p.m. Sunday game at the Bell Centre against the Florida Panthers.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Prust-Plekanec-Gionta
Bournival-Desharnais-Briere
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-White-Parros

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Bouillon
Murray-Diaz

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Brandon Prust’s next fight will be his 100th, by Dave Stubbs

Habs Notebok, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews, Canadiens.com

Gionta says Habs lost focus, by Pat Hickey

Goalie Jones shines as Kings crush Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Kings’ rookie netminder makes history, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens vs. Kings photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

What does $71-million cap mean for Subban talks, TSN.ca

Inconsistency on calling goaltender interference, TSN.ca

Flyers vs. Blackhawks preview, NHL.com

1. Bill says:

HabFab: I still say that lockout was bogus.

2. punkster says:

Gotta love those loafs.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

3. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

151 straight minutes of shutout goaltending by Martin Jones. And counting. Le goalie goal bien.

4. punkster says:

I like that the boys were loose and in a playful mood at the practice today (TSN showed a couple of mock tussles between Prust and Chucky, Prust and Sooby). They’ll be fine.

Of course those tussles could well turn out to be the beginning of a dressing room rift of epic proportions. Surprised nobody here has worked that angle yet though I expect “trouble in the room” will be a topic of discussion before midnight tonight.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

5. Plekasuares says:

Who was better: Orr or Gretzky

IMO Orr

6. HabFab says:

Some of Prust’s fight stats over the years. His next fight is his 100th NHL one;

Dave Stubbs – Hockeyfights dot com gives #Habs Prust 46 wins, 34 losses, 19 draws. I told Prust this. Reply: “34 losses? No way. That’s B.S.” Hilarious

7. strangestsensation says:

while it may be easier to target the players I felt Therrien did a horrible choice of selecting players for that game. It was like he was trying to re-do the Smurfs movie. Murray would have done better than Bouillion, where was Parros? and why is Tinordi back in the AHL. Habs were out muscled all over the ice. LA for some reason was just nice in the 3rd period. I don’t like Therrien. I wish we had Roy. Therrien is no better than JM and like JM he has no idea what players to put on the ice and he’s great at riding a wave. Only thing he’s really missing is the notepad. I really hope Therrien is gone next season.

• 24 Cups says:

Come on, man. There were only two other options. Murray for Bouillon and Parros for whomever. Would Parros have scored? Would Frankie have kept the score lower?

The Habs were in the game for the first ten minutes. Once they couldn’t score on three power plays, it was goodnight, Irene.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Murray possibly could have helped,maybe we only lose 4-0 :P Tinordi has been less than stellar with the Dogs this year and probably would have looked the fool and Parros 4 minutes of ice time would be little help against a team that can roll 4 lines of bruisers that can actually play hockey.

Big or small we just plain sucked last night.

• olematelot says:

Seems his player decisions for the previous 10 games were pretty good.

I just saw Melanie Collins, the sports reporter. All I can say is that she would be a huge upgrade on Cowan, Hickey, Stubbs and the Headmaster.

9. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I’m sure this has been said, but Pacioretty and Gorges took psychotherapy days, right?

10. Dunboyne Mike says:

Timo, are you seeing this You Might Also Like?

“Habs’ Cammalleri on Markov’s Injury”

11. DickandDanny says:

A little late in posting this, however what I still don’t understand about the Kings game is why was Boullion playing in place of Murray? Murray was very respectable in the two games prior and secondly you DON’T change a winning line-up. Also, why not play Parros and Bourque in that game against a very big rugged team like the Kings? The whole game I just sat there listening to the commentators say we need to be bigger, and stronger on the puck, meanwhile three of our biggest assets are sitting out. Makes no sense to me, especially Murray not playing. I’ll never understand the Habs decision makers.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

12. JohnBellyful says:

I’m sure this doesn’t apply to any of the posters here who golf

• Timo says:

Especially to the poster whose name starts with a P and ends with unkster

• bwoar says:

Eh, it’s SHOE! Man I haven’t read a physical paper in so long I’d forgotten about the comics page. Fun stuff. Unlike golfing, which for me is more like “legal drinking and driving of motorcarts between more drinking on foot and many swings of a metal stick.”

“thoroughbred”

13. SmartDog says:

Can anyone tell me about buying tickets to the Futureshop family section?

I need five if I’m going to buy any at all… and I got an email about them going on sale but can’t find ANY info about whether there’s a limit etc.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

So did anyone catch the Victoria Secret fashion show last night after the game?

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

Don’t forget: we shut out the Kings in the 3rd.

16. krob1000 says:

Great…Leafs get the Kings after the Habs let them punch themselves out…

17. Bill says:

Storman, hilarious on Briere’s mail! You’re on a roll buddy.

18. Storman says:

Danny Briere very upset today to find out he will have to go into the corners to pick up his mail,

On RDS they are talking whether it’s time for Briere “gouter de hot dogs”

Like.

20. SmartDog says:

Another suspension today (Cowan) on a play that the refs didn’t penalize on.

Reffing in the NHL is (pick one):
    A. A great place for seeing impaired persons to find work.
    B. A nice hobby that pays well and gives you exercise!
    C. A job that no one intelligent wants.
    D. Something the NHL BoG should consider implementing.

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

21. Storman says:

During Last night’s live blog I commented after watching a TSN segment on how I thought Randy Carlyle made me think of Archie Bunker coaching the leafs, well I just googled Archie Bunker and Randy Carlyle and it seems I am not alone

22. Luke says:

Randy Carlyle on Bernier: “He’s geared up to seize the opportunity, seize the job & he hasn’t disappointed”

James Reimer just did a spit-take.

He must be thinknig “I need to stop paying attention mid-shift and let in some brutal goals, too”

23. Luke says:

Can anyone tell me if they are planning an Achorman 2 movie?

I’ve been looking around for any sort of marketing and I cannot find anything. No interviews, promos or special appearances.

I remember ages ago they were thinking about it, but since then it’s been super quiet.

Very odd.

(or: Enough already Willy Farrell & the media whoring).

• habs-fan-84 says:

Funny, I actually said to my fiance just the other day that with all this publicity/promo stuff they’re doing it might end up backfiring.

By the time the movie comes out, people may just be sick of Ron Burgundy and his schtick. Anchorman was a bad movie and no doubt the second will be worse.

Note: I actually can’t stand most of Will Ferrell’s movies and characters – with the exception of a few.

• JohninTruro says:

Anchorman was a fantastic movie.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Yours and my definition of a “fantastic movie” differ.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

84 and Truro!

Interesting polarity here!

Never saw the original, but soon after it came out I was urged and URGED to see it by people who believed that it was simply the best thing in all Creation. They were my Grade 10s.

Actually, it was a similar constituency that also urged me to see The Hangover. Any correlation? Bill, want to come in on this?

• Bill says:

Yes, 16 year-olds absolutely loved Anchorman, and probably will again.

For anyone who is an adult, spoiler alert, it’s actually only sorta funny.

I strongly suspect that people who love Anchorman also love smoking ganja. I have no problem with that, but it’s worth considering that potheads (and teenagers) think EVERYTHING is hilarious.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers, Bill.
            Perhaps one of those movies for which careful management of expectations can work wonders…..

• Alex From Ottawa says:

I agree, one of my favorites for sure. Although I think it has a certain target audience that does not appeal to all

So did Habs have another quality practice today? I am almost afraid to watch the results tomorrow.

25. Bripro says:

The edit button still isn’t working.
    D*mn monkeys!

26. Storman says:

Here is a tough one Erik Cole, Michael Ryder or Danny Briere,
    My choice would be the order i have them listed in..

27. krob1000 says:

Briere….everyone cites his 30 pt playoff year as being very long ago..it was quite a while ago in hockey terms..4 years. However, 3 years ago he put up 7g 2a in 11 games…and then 2 years ago he got 8g and 5a in 11 games. THen he missed most of last season and then was hurt for a good chunk of this one. At his age that is a lot to recover from…..he too will need time to get going…I suspect right now he is just trying to get into game shape…once he gets his legs he has proven to be able to find openings in the tightest of games…he is actually a legit ppg player in the playoffs….with 109 pts in 1-08 playoff games…very, very impressive. YEah he may be old…but I am sure he will amp things up when needed.

28. Bripro says:

Changing the subject, but staying with sports
    Scott Boras, the most powerful agent in baseball, is quoted as saying the Montreal would be the ideal location for a relocated Rays’ team.
    Is baseball coming back to Montreal?
    It’ll never be the same without the kid.

29. Maritime Ronn says:

GM Marc Bergevin is on record with the following quote:

” I believe you have players that get you IN the playoffs, and you have players that get you THROUGH the playoffs.”
    ———————–
    That stated, who are the Habs players GM Bergevin was referring to that would. ” …get you THROUGH the playoffs?”

Before even considering a Western Conference opponent, consider playing against a healthy Bruins, Wings, Pens, and a physical Leafs-or offensively talented Stamkos lead Tampa team as opponents.

Which/Who are Habs players that can get the team “THROUGH” the playoffs?
    And who are not?

30. HabFab says:

HabsWorld’s top prospects for November;

• Storman says:

The most wonderful time of the year WJC , i love that tourney,
      Hab Prospects to watch
      Team Canada: Charles Hudon, Zachary Fucale
      Team Sweden: Jacob De la Rose, Sebastian Collberg
      Team Finland: Artturi Lehkonen
      Not sure about Martin Reway if he is on either Team Slovakia or Team Czech or not playing , or still injured

31. Storman says:

How bad is professional sports officiating.
    I think the speed of the NHL and NFL is way beyond the capabilities of officiating, it is way past time to make much better use of available technology.

I think a way to take advantage of NHL officiating is to try and take 3 or 4 early penalties, get some keys saves or as PJ Stock would say have your goaler goal bien to kill the early consecutive penalties , and then you know you can play anyway you want because they wont call shiate against you the rest of the game.

32. Bill says:

Storman, hilarious joke.

Here’s one, it’s pretty old, but maybe someone here hasn’t heard it:

Guy is lost in the desert, dehydrated, ready to die. He sinks down and collapses in the sand. Just as he’s about to pass out, he feels something in the sand. He digs around, and out of the sand he pulls this old metal oil-lamp. “No way,” he thinks, and then he gives it a rub. Sure enough, as soon as he rubs it, a magical genie appears, and says “Thank you for freeing me. I will now grant you two wishes”. And the guy says, “Two wishes? I thought it was three”. The genie replies, “Yeah, that’s what they all say. Stop watching Disney movies. It’s two wishes, take it or leave it”. So the guy thinks about it, and says “Ok, well, first of all, I could really use a glass of ice-water”. The genie says “Done”, and a huge glass of icy-cold water appears in the guy’s hand. Gratefully, he drains the glass and sits down, relieved. “And what is your second wish?” The genie asks. The guy ponders, then says, hey, y’know, I have always wanted to visit New York, but living here in the desert in Africa makes that difficult. I’m afraid to fly, and I have a phobia of boats. How about you make a bridge between Africa and New York so I can ride my camel there?” Well, the genie shakes his head , and explains that while he is indeed a powerful genie, a whole bridge across the Atlantic Ocean is a pretty big deal, and just way too much for him to be able to do, even with magic. The genie asks the guy if there’s something else he would like. So the guy thinks, and then he hits it. He says, “Ok, well … my wife is always getting mad at me, and I never understand why. I never see it coming. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I just don’t get it, and the constant conflict is really getting me down. How about if you give me the ability to understand women?” And the genie looks at him and says, “Did you want that bridge to be two lanes, or four?”

33. frontenac1 says:

See that Gal washing the car in the photo? I think she’s the best out of all 15.

34. Danno says:

Has the team been blown up yet, and if not what are they waiting for?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. Bripro says:

OK so are all of you losers going to buy me season’s tickets or not?
    “No Excuses!”

• Luke says:

Yup. They are waiting at the box office.

Just hop down there on Sunday and pick ‘em up.

• Bripro says:

Geez Luke. That’s awfully nice of you. Make sure to collect Bill’s portion. Up until now, he’s the only one who committed.
        I’ll be by the Bell Centre on the weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• Luke says:

Oh yah, no worries bud.

But knowing Bill’s dry sense of humour, I wouldn’t be surprised if tried pulling a prank on you. Something like having the staff tell you that there’s nothing there.

Don’t believe them.

Just a raise a fuss until they actually give in.

They’re probably recording it for that Just for Laugh’s thing… so you don’t want to look like a sucker on TV who get’s tricked by the old “We don’t have any tickets in you name, sir” gag.

• Bripro says:

THE GAZETTE – Monday, Dec. 16, 2013
            HEADLINES:

Half-man, half-monkey survives fall from Champlain Bridge claiming “It’s the suit that saved me!”

Fan named Matty gets thrown out of Bell Centre during game after Geoff Molson pointed out that he was an HIO member who always brought loss to the team.

Also at Bell Centre, short bald man gets thrown out of the ticket office onto Saint Antoine. Witnesses heard him screaming “But they have my season’s tickets!” before being run over by a bus.

36. Storman says:

Getting better every day,,Connor Crisp has only 1 assist in his last nine games, but he has 11 points in that same stretch and is a plus 4 over the same 9 game stretch ..

37. The Dude says:

So now that we know that a play-off series against LA would be a 4 hour blow out what is MB going to do?

Thank god Miss Congeniality is on with Miss Congeniality 2 to follow.

39. JM says:

Gionta says they weren’t focused. It was because they played a better team and they weren’t allowed to get focused.
    These Guys and their excuses. Must think we’re all stupid or can’t see. Maybe both. A theraphy day for the injury prone.

• Timo says:

Everytime Gionta says shit like “we are not focused” or “we were not prepared” or “our legs were not moving” why wouldn’t anyone ask a very logical question “Why?”

• krob1000 says:

because noone would believe he reason is as simple as they are human…..that is when people chime in with “well if I made that much money,etc,etc”. Doesn’t matter how much you pay people they are still people. It wasn’t everybody at first….the first period went well other than the scoreboard…but once that 3rd goal went in it was over. Why? Because they got demoralized like normal people after palying 23 minutes of decent hoceky and being down 3 goals to a recent cup winning team who hasn’t given up more than 2 goals in nearly two months. They realized they blew it….then they went through the motions…like people. In the third they were a little better but the old adage is too true…once you turn it off it is very hard to turn it back on again.

• Eddie says:

Timo, it’s important to keep in mind that athletes have good days and bad days, just like the rest of us at work.

Even talented players can take to the ice with the best attitudes and the best of intentions, and Still suck.

Have you ever arrived at work feeling great when the day began, only to have the worst possible day?

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I’v has days like thst but I was not making the kind of money that hockey players in the NHL were and I still in some cases got to hear about it in no uncertain terms. The mistakes are in the way the salary os paid…..should be paid by what you produce…assists and goals….plus/minuses etc. There has to be some way to set that type of pay system up so that it would provide incentices….well maybe not…you have to get the players to agree and that ends that idea. Imagine making millions a year ( most of them ) to play hockey. I have heard about the hardships of making it to the NHL the players go through………and boy I’ve yet to meet a person who didn’t love the game if they played any at all. Now maybe the parents go through hell…I know my daughter has a son in hockey and she almost lives at the rinks and it costs huge money.

• frontenac1 says:

Gio can’t give away all his secrets amigo.

• donmarco says:

What do you want him to say?

40. Forum Dog says:

Could have used Murray in there last night to slow down some of the Kings forwards. Also thought that the Markov-Emelin pairing wasn’t all that effective. Must have been a bit tough for Markie to adjust to someone who does not carry the puck half as well as Subban.

This is also a personal gripe of mine, but when you have a young player with the type of potential that Eller has, why do you not give him the opportunity to succeed? Why is it more important to get Desharnais going than to let a guy like Eller develop his offensive game? DD is 27 years old. He is what he is – a small centre with some playmaking ability and a good personality. He is never going to be a true top-nine forward. He is a power-play option who only puts up points when his winger(s) are going strong. If Pacioretty isn’t driving to the net and playing the power-forward game that he is capable of (but doesn’t always play), DD becomes a non-factor.

Eller, on the other hand, has the potential to be a legitimate 2nd (or – with the right wingers – a 1st) line centre. He is big, strong, skilled and creative with the puck, wins draws, plays physical, etc. Therrien has looked smart by moving Gallagher onto the Pacioretty-DD line, but it has definitely short-circuited Eller, especially with Galchenyuk jumping around the lineup.

Anyway, would just like to see them show a little more confidence in Eller and give him the tools and opportunities he needs to develop. Pouring all this time and money into Desharnais’ is a bit misguided IMO. If they don’t like Eller’s game and are going to roll with Desharnais as their PP and 2nd line option for the duration of his contract, then perhaps they should consider trading Larry for something that can help them now.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Desharnais isn’t even particularly good on the PP which is what kills me, Eller and even Briere look wayy better when out there.

Not sure why Desharnais is the pre determined only option to center Pacioretty.. the “chemistry” is just funny…put Eller between Pacioretty Gallagher and that line just got worlds better.

Crazy idea…try rolling Plekanec – Eller – Galchenyuk/Bournival/Briere as your top 3 centres for more than 1 game against the best team in the league.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• frontenac1 says:

You must have missed the Guys on L”Antichambre go cross-eyed and cream their pants when DD got the first star the other night.

41. Storman says:

The year is 2019 mail delivery is a thing of the past, fighting has been eliminated from the NHL, leaving players like Colton Orr looking for ways to make money.

Colton finds work at the Toronto Zoo as a janitor, The Zoo has recently acquired a rare Amazon female Gorilla. The Gorilla has become very agitated of late, having no male Gorilla to help calm her down staff management ask Janitor Colton if for 1000$ he would mate with the Gorilla, Colton says sure under 3 conditions..
    1) No Kissing
    2) No Media or pics/videos etc..
    and
    3) I will need some time to raise the 1000$

PS thanks Habfan10972 the light just went on Ban-#ned

42. Bill says:

I never said they SHOULD trade PK. I actually said I wouldn’t. I was just saying, you could get a really nice return if you did. Three excellent young players is not out of the question. Actually, if the Panthers dangled Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Matthias, I’d have to seriously consider it, and probably I would do that trade. So hopefully Tallon doesn’t propose it.

• GrimJim says:

Earlier in the year, I think it was MacTavish said that the Oilers were so bad because of their poor defense and that he would be willing to listen to offers for their 2014 first round pick. So I was wondering, would trading Markov to Edmonton for their first round pick be a good deal?

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I’v has days like thst but I was not making the kind of money that hockey players in the NHL were and I still in some cases got to hear about it in no uncertain terms. The mistakes are in the way the salary is paid…..should be paid by what you produce…assists and goals….plus/minuses etc. There has to be some way to set that type of pay system up so that it would provide incentives….well maybe not…you have to get the players to agree and that ends that idea. Imagine making millions a year ( most of them ) to play hockey. I have heard about the hardships of making it to the NHL the players go through………and boy I’ve yet to meet a person who didn’t love the game if they played any at all. Now maybe the parents go through hell…I know my daughter has a son in hockey and she almost lives at the rinks and it costs huge money.

43. Cal says:

Ok, ok, just so we Hab fans feel a little better: The Habs in their last 10 games at 8-1-1 are the best in the league. There! Feel better yet?

44. Bill says:

Sportfan: You were at the 5-0 comeback game? Lucky! I remember it well, HabsInsideOut went insane.

• Sportfan says:

Yeah I was very fotunate enough to go to that game, my friend got 4 tickets from his dad. We sat in the reds near the home goalie I can still see Kovalev falling in the distance and the whole building going insane was a fantastic night. Also I stand by the rule you never leave a game until the very end and a few people had left by the second period lol.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

45. Habfan10912 says:

I see some “trade PK” discussion below. If you trade PK you better get a PK in the deal.

I’m reminded of an episode of Family Guy where Peter has won a boat. The salesman then offers Peter a deal. Trade the boat for a mystery envelope.
    Peter says. Oh yeah I’ll take the envelope. I could even win a boat!

46. Bill says:

Know what I hate? Games against crappy, fake teams like the Panthers. And ironically, the only game I will get to see this year is against the Panthers. They better win.

47. CH Marshall says:

I take solace in knowing we didn’t give up assets for DD or Db. Imagine if we kept those 2nd rounders that BG and PG gave away like candy.. Or mcdonaugh. Watching the Kings made me realize you need to have solid bottom 4 D and bottom 6 fwds who know their job is to win battles. As for an elite scoring fwd, hopefully with the cap rise we can lure or pry a talented player away from another team. But overall, not too disappointed about last night. Sometimes you just Gotta hold the crap in until you get home..

• Mattyleg says:

Using last night’s game to evaluate the Kings is not very useful.

They looked very shaky early on, their PK was brutal all night, but we underplayed them into the game.

We would have done the same to a team that didn’t show up.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• slyCH says:

After buzzing around the net like angry hornets and not scoring on that 1st PP it took the wind out of their sails. Can’t believe they didn’t score. Put that one under hot goalie.

48. Bripro says:

OK now the edit button isn’t working…..
    Hello?
    Somebody feed the monkeys, please!

49. Storman says:

Couple of Thoughts:

When you say I have a bad feeling about this game eventually you will be right..

Briere time to put up game coming up, you think he would want to put his best effort to date against his former team, that also bought him out, or maybe he is saving that for next year after we buy him out.

• Kooch7800 says:

Briere should be making around 2 mill a season not 4 mill a season. i still don’t know what MB was thinking on that deal other than a marketing ploy. The dream of him being still a playoff performer I think is just that ….a dream. He is not the player he was a few years ago

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Briere was not a good signing and almost every poster on this site has and did express that opinion while the rumors were flying around this past off season. He is small, fairly old for his accredited style of play and has a declining set of skills. What could MB have thought he’d do to help the yeam…the BS about playoffs is just that…you have to make the playoffs and that is where Danny boy will hurt this team. I guess MB rolled the dice and hoped with all his might……a bad signing no way to put it other than that. I also wonder why he says the team needs to get bigger and needs to improve in character and still signs a little forward with a reputation for being soft and no defensive commitment at any time in his career. Wonder too how MT feels about keeping Briere on low playing time seeing he was a signing by MB…probably is uncomfortabole for him

• Kooch7800 says:

I have been a bitter betty about that signing since the beginning as I have never been a Briere fan. I was for keeping Ryder at the same dollar figure but he isn’t doing so hot either and neither is Brandon Morrow. I guess there was not a lot of options out there at the time but Morrow is making a heck of a lot less money than Briere and is on a 1 year deal.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

50. Bill says:

Bripro: I’ll chip in if it will help the team. My own record seeing the Habs is a terrible 2-7-0. I’ve seen them lose to the Leafs at the Bell three times. Horrible. Except I was in a luxury box for one of the losses … the free food, drinks, and cute servers took away a lot of the sting for that one.

51. Bill says:

Sometimes a team just doesn’t play great, the other team gets breaks, and you don’t. It happens. Anyone who is viewing last night’s game as representative of the team’s overall ability is really cherry-picking. When was the last time they lost in regulation? Teams will lose games. It will happen. They could even drop four or five in a row. It doesn’t mean they suck. That’s just how sports go.

• Bripro says:

You mean like the platter the Oilers served the Avalanche’s butts on?
      And Roy didn’t even pull his goalie.

• GrimJim says:

Roy didn’t pull the goalie because it was the first game of a back-to-back and he said he didn’t think it was fair to Giguerre to have him play half a game one night and a full game the next.

• Mattyleg says:

As my 2.5 yr-old has been saying recently in as wise a way as possible for a lil’ one: “C’est pas grave, c’est des choses qui arrivent…”

(trns: “It’s not serious, these things happen…”)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. Bripro says:

From what I’m reading, not too many posters here can bring our team luck when they attend a game. Mat, Jim, Chris…
    But I’ve always been lucky at watching them win, except of course when I was in the company (at the summit) of Mat….. Jim…..Chris….
    So I suggest the following.
    To guarantee a victory, the HIO community should put together a collection for 2 season’t tickets, and you can get my address from Ian and mail them to me. Yeah… that works.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ahem, I remind you that Chris, Burly, L and I attended the pre summit game against the Ducks in which the Habs dominated. Its not us! Its Matty!
      Everybody get him!!!!!

• Bripro says:

OK, you’re messing things up here.
        There’s an ulterior motive, and you’re ruining it!
        Stop with the Jiminisms! :)

• Mattyleg says:

HEY!
          I was there in ought-eleven, and we beat the Rangers 4-0!!

… but it’s probably me.
          I gave away my ticket for the Stars game, and we beat them 2-1.

I’ve been to 6 games and seen 6 goals. 4 in the Isles win, one in a 2-1 pre-season loss to Carolina, and one in a 2-1 loss to the Preds.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mavid says:

with exception of one beat down 7-2 ( I think) every game I have gone to (against the Sens) they have lost, my hubby says I am his good luck charm..I refuse to go to any more…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Sportfan says:

Hey I’ve only seen them lose three times out of twenty! Sure it was a 3-0 loss with Thibault against us and the game O’Byrne scored on his own net and OT against the Blues where Janesen and Carey almost fought lol. BUT I was at the 5-0 comeback so I’ve seen many games that were better than those three loses. So give me some to :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

I’m 1-5-0 for habs games. My only win was a 5-1 drubbing of the bruins at the Bell Center so that makes up for the 5 embarrassments i have seen out west. I’ve stopped buying tickets until trends reverse themselves out here. I will be flying back to beautiful Montreal IF we make the playoffs this spring though.

53. Bill says:

Bwoar: Such a gamble to trade for a potential 1st overall pick. No telling if the team you trade with will finish last and even if they do, that lottery thing is dicey.

Oh, and I can’t browse the WWW site on my phone. It won’t let me. All I want is my lousy paragraphs back …

• bwoar says:

The only scenario would be a draft-day deal. I doubt there are too many GMs who would make a blockbuster during the season in this day and age.

I’ve watched a fair bit of Florida (sigh.) I like Barkov actually, not that high on Huberdeau as most, and Gudbranson to me is a real good #2 guy. Kulikov, the jury is still out on his consistency. Since his junior days I’ve been a fan of Shawn Matthias and have often brought him up as the guy I’d like to get from the Panthers. But no combination of those guys would make me part with PK (it’s unlikely they’d offer 2-3 of them in a package in any case.) The chance to build a franchise on a kid like McDavid – I would have to listen.

It’s weird you can’t get the WWW site on your phone. It should be a choice; that’s problem #1. If they can’t get the app right, at least leave the option there. As a once-and-sometime-still developer, decisions like that are ugly and stupid.

“thoroughbred”

54. frontenac1 says:

So Price gets rattled in his own paint again? Now you know why he likes”Dougie” eh?

55. RH says:

I didn’t catch the 1st period and I missed half the 3rd period. But, I did see that debacle of a second period and what I saw was just laziness on the part of our Montreal Canadiens. Everyone was floating, not just a few players. While they may still have lost last night, had the effort been there, it wouldn’t have been so embarrassing.
    I look forward to the game in LA in March and expect the Habs to show up and give full value for the money.

56. Maritime Ronn says:

There has been a only a few dumping on Carey Price for last night, yet to those few, here is something to ponder if he loses another – or even 3-4 in a row and doesn’t look stellar.

The question becomes, what should almost be expected of an elite goaltender in a full 82 game schedule?

Looking back on the last complete 82 game season in 2011/12, Henrik Lundqvist won the Vezina Trophy.

Lundqvist appeared in 60 games, and while he had many great performances that would be expected from a Vezina winning year, there were also some less than great runs:

– Twice during the year, Lundqvist recorded 3 losses in a row.
    – In one of those 3 game consecutive losses, he gave up 10 goals.
    – 4 other times, Lundqvist recorded 2 losses in a row.
    – To start the year, he posted a record of 2 wins-6 losses(3 OTL)

– TWICE, Lundqvist had 5 game stretches of 1 win-4 losses.
    – In 1 game, Lundqvist had an SP of .765 giving up 4 goals on 17 shots.
    – In 14 other games, Lundqvist had a Save Percentage between .842-.897.
    – His record in those games was 5W-9L, and in those 5 wins, the Rangers scored a bunch of goals – at least 4.

Therefore, if Carey has a bit of a bad stretch, perhaps we should remember the above from a Lundqvist Vezina winning year.

Of course most Habs fans will be patient….luckily Carey never gets judged on 1 goal or 1 period or 1 game…

57. Storman says:

Wow really cant figure out what word is causing my Colton Orr joke to get modded, holy crap

So who sits when Bourque returns? I hope Briere cause is has been Wee Davey useless. Desharnais is back to floating. When will Habs every be so lucky to not have these guys in the lineup?

59. Mattyleg says:

So I was at the game last night.

It wasn’t pretty, but it wasn’t the most frustrating/annoying thing ever either.

It was simply clear that nothing was going right, so I just sat back and watched. The third period was great because of all the room I had! I could really stretch out.

Meh, bad day at the office. We’ll bounce back against the Flyers, and it’ll all be fine again.

Oh, and p.s.: That ‘improves’ my record to 1-5 for the season, including all three home shutouts. Go me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Home sick today. Daytime TV sucks.

61. Habfan10912 says:

Happy birthday to my friend GrimJim. Many more sir.
    As for the question about reviewing goalied interference calls, we need better officials. No excuse for missing that call last night. None. And there was another bad call last night resulting in a disallowed goal in Buffalo last night. No excuse for that either. Just horrible calls.

62. Bripro says:

So MT had the EGG line back together this morning.
    If it ain’t broke…. well it wasn’t, but he tried to fix it anyhow.
    Hopefully, it will repair itself and these kids will dominate again.

63. Sportfan says:

Should the Refs or Toronto be allowed to go upstairs when a goalie is interfered with?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

64. Maritime Ronn says:

Repost for discussion

Bill (Kirk Muller) says:

Let’s say the Habs DID trade Subban … they could get a pretty amazing package in return…..a Subban trade is probably the one way to do a substantial roster change quickly.
    ————————–
    For some Habs fans that could/would be considered pure blasphemy, yet Bill does bring forth an intriguing thought certainly considering ALL the factors involved at this time….

Please know I am not advocating for a PK trade – just some thoughts with the Habs best interests at heart.

If we park ‘ PK-Emotion’ for 1 small moment, what do we have in the Big Picture?

First off, we all know that PK and clan (Don Meehan-Newport Sports Agency) will most likely want something north of $8M – or 8 years and possibly $70M.
    There is also a possibility that an ugly Arbitration fight could also be on the horizon.

No one really knows how this will play out…and what IF Subban only wants to sign for 4 years.
    What IF there are still ______ questions in the Habs org. moving forward concerning other items we all are NOT privy to?

Now let’s say you are Dale Talon in Florida.
    Your team is in a desperate need for a shake-up, and you also desperately need a ‘Marketing Star’ and wonderful hockey player to somehow push start your franchise…or you’re out of a job.

What does Florida have on its Roster?
    Forwards:
    21 years old local born Jonathan Huberdeau, and 18 year old Alexander Barkov.
    Dmen:
    Ottawa born 6’5″ Erik Gudbranson and 23 year old Dmitry Kulikov.

Let’s say GM Bergevin could pry Huberdeau and Gudbranson (Markov mentor) for Subban….or some other combo, yet those would be the main characters.

Do you do the deal?

Then the business of hockey.
    Those Florida 2 are still on Entry Level contracts and the next ones would be the Bridge.
    This would free up even more several millions of dollars to spend in other places to upgrade the Habs.

That is just 1 single example of potential trading partners.

The question becomes:
    Are the Habs better in the long term with PK, or are they better with a Monster return in a PK trade when his value could not be any higher?

• Timo says:

Subban is a franchise player, so if you are going to trade him you better get likes of Kopitar, Malkin, etc in return and not some unproven youngsters with “potential”.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Define ” Franchise Player”
        On the ice?
        Off the ice?
        Combo?

Huberdeau won the Caldar Trophy last year.

• Ozmodiar says:

PK won the Norris at a young age and he’s still getting better. He’s an impact player. He’s a top 3 d-man in the league, and will eventually log 30 minutes a game at playoff time (maybe not this year, but in the future). Outside of a bonafide superstar (Ovie, Sid, Stamkos), D-men like this are the hottest commodity in the league. They’re more important than a top goalie.

You don’t trade away a guy like that for potential.

Yakupov, Hubes, Hall, RNH, Sequin, Galchenyuk – these are good players, but will have to get a lot better before having the same impact that PK has.

• Lagerhab says:

I would say all of the above for Subban, imagine what he means to the team off the ice, his charisma, charitable work, memorabilia sales. He is franchise on and off the ice for sure.

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree with Timo. Huberdeau won the Calder, but so did Tyler Myers, Jeff Skinner, and many others I would not trade PK for.

I would only accept one of the perennial top 10 players in the league for PK…but that’s just my opinion.

PK is a proven star…not an up and comer or a potential. I really have no interest in trading PK at all, but for a Superstar, I’d listen.

Go Habs Go!!

• Lagerhab says:

Interesting, but site the case where this type of trade, where a superstar or future superstar was traded and the time that traded him for multiples won the trade? There may be cases but I can’t think of any at the moment?

• Casanova says:

Maybe the Lindros trade from Quebec to Phili…

• Maritime Ronn says:

A Superstar, or future Superstar, would be considered a shoe-in for Team Canada.

Even when foreign born players are peeled off from what is considered the Best NHL Dmen, Subban is still seen as a bubble choice for the Team Canada Executive and Coaches.

You can argue with them….although most have played or coached at elite levels.

Here is understanding and respecting Subban’s Norris Trophy, yet perhaps some perspective.

Last year was 48 games, and all were played inside the Conference.

The Trophy is voted on by the NHL Professional Hockey Writers Association.

Question:
        Did Helene Elliott of the LA Times actually see Subban play last year, or did she call her good friend Eric Duhatschek and ask for some help/advice once she saw that Subban was the leading Dman scorer? (actually tied with Letang, and Letang played 7 fewer games)

After last night – and if she witnessed the game, would her vote be the same this year?
        Would she choose Subban over Doughty for Team Canada or the Norris?
        Keith?
        Pietrangelo?

• Habsrule1 says:

If you don’t see PK as a Superstar and/or superstar in the making, I understand why you might think this is a good trade.

I thijnk many would disagree, but that’s what this site is all about.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

PK is the type of player the Habs luck into once every 10 years or longer. I will not trade him. I will give him the deal he is seeking and gladly pay him. The business side- selling jerseys and shirts and caps with his number and name on them will likely make up for about half of his salary.

• bwoar says:

Repost for Connor McDavid or GTFO.

“thoroughbred”

Following on Bwoars idea (which is excellent), trade him to Islanders for Tavares and their 1st round pick in the McDavid year draft.

• Nakasuga says:

Only if Gomez is also thrown in the trade……

Apparently there were lots of scouts last night… for their sake I hope they were scouting LA Kings players.

66. bwoar says:

It’s great that Markov is #2 on the Habs ironman list right now.

“thoroughbred”

67. Habfun says:

Actually, I was first (just like the ref that had the intention to blow the whistle before disallowing a goal) I had the intention to be first! lol
    Last night hurt, but let’s get up and brush ourselves off and get back on the horse.
    We will deal with the west at the trade deadline (if needed).

It\\\’s all about the CH

68. Lagerhab says:

It will be interesting to see if we bounce back against Philly. Does Price go back in for this one?

69. Bash says:

Competitive table tennis (ping pong if you wish) is extremely athletic and is actually the second most popular sport in the world (after soccer). It is widely regarded as the fastest ball sport. The world championships involve 150+ teams including Canada who are better than the middle of the pack and improving.

Drop in to the national team training centre in Ottawa (Louisa Street) and you will get an eyeful.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

70. frontenac1 says:

If they had those Victoria Secret gals playing, I’d be a customer.