A road W!

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

About last night …

All-Star game adds to Price’s workload

• Arpon Basu on Benoit Pouliot

• Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

Before Travis Moen and James Wisniewski were teammates:

1. fbkj says:

takes a while to update

2. fbkj says:

yeah, the origin of their name makes me smile

3. Everlasting1 says:

Opeth are truly in a class all their own. I like The Gathering (early).

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

4. jennifer1984 says:

can someone tell me why when i change my picture, after a few minutes it goes back to my super old one?

it’s under the size requirements and is driving me nuts!!

5. Jordio-oh says:

agreed. I’ve recently started to build up a respectable collection. I robbed my Dad of a bunch of his old stuff to get a good start. Plus, who is going to turn down free, high quality,  original pressings of Pet Sounds and Born to Run?

6. Mattyleg says:

There’s nothing worse than everyone laughing while you’re trying to be serious, eh?

Man, that must really suck for you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. jennifer1984 says:

interesting. never saw that one.

i do love Of Montreal though.

8. Mattyleg says:

…aaaaannd point Smartdog.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. jennifer1984 says:

this is true.

most of the stuff we have is pretty early, thats why.

what i’m afraid of when buying vinyl is getting the new stuff.

we have a copy of Them Crooked Vultures on vinyl and the sound isnt great……sucks.

so im always nervous to buy the new stuff

10. jennifer1984 says:

i have to say, i did think it was funny. made me chuckle

11. Strabo says:

Lars Eller stats in the AHL last year, he could use more time. It’s not like he lit the joint up there.

Peoria Rivermen-AHL

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

12. twocents says:

The mono over stereo thing is not always straightforward. It’s a matter of which mix the artist paid more attention to. For example you can get a mono mix of “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” but you’d be missing a large chunk of the artistry involved in making the record. In fact, most rock records released after ’67 were designed for stereo and sound better that way. ’67 and before, the Mono mixes are usually better, though not always for ’66-’67. Before that, it is straightforward mono were the better recordings.  Anything that is electronically enhanced stereo is garbage.

13. joeybarrie says:

Pyatt brings alot to this team, so i wouldn’t think he will go down. As Krob pointed out, Boyd will have to go thru re-entry waivers to come back up so it’s doubtful he is an option either. I think Eller and DD will probably fight for the extra spot until the end of the season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. Bugs says:

I thought it was funny…

Forwards climbin over Gill’s body to get outta the ravine; I can picture it.

You’re bein harsh with the Pup a bit, I think.

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

15. fbkj says:

japanese metallica beatbox ^_^

16. habs4ever2894 says:

Wiz Khalifa

Mac Miller

Kid Cudi

Kanye West

J Cole

Chiddy bang

Lupe Fiaso

17. shiram says:

Yup its metal, and I cant believe i left off Opeth on my list, a great prog metal band!

18. SmartDog says:

Since you like it so much, next time you’re around let me know and I’ll give you that kick in the groin.

19. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

What would be wrong with the Habs bringing Boyd and White up and sending Eller and Pyatt to Hamilton ? Eller needs more minutes to develope and he will not get it with JM at the helm.I like Eller but feel he would be better off in Hamilton. Just a thought…

20. SmartDog says:

Is that metal?  I don’t know ANY of it.

21. shiram says:

too bad its blocked here…

22. fbkj says:

green day and tool are of the same era dude

you have to know… sober…

23. SmartDog says:

I’m mostly stuck in the late 70’s-early 90’s when I had more time!

Newer music needs to reach me through friends or happenstance to get through.  I “discovered” Green Day on a diner booth jukebox in the late 90’s, one of my favorites now but I never listen to the radio so wouldn’t even know them without that.

24. jennifer1984 says:

really? i did not know they sold a song to them. mmmm now i want a bloomin onion!

25. Malreg says:

They landed in Montreal at 1 a.m last night/this morning.

26. jennifer1984 says:

a lot of the music i listen to is a lot of indie stuff.

MGMT are my fav……but not the “anthems” like kids and time to pretend which most people know.
    and i enjoy reading articles about how cocky and rude the band is. My siste and I met them earlier this year and they were the most chill, down to earth people i have ever met. we were chattin and their manager was taking pics of my sisters one tattoo, tellin us stories about how the came up with stuff, pretty rad.

oh and listen to Mumford and Sons….british folk rock. absolutely amazing. Little Lion Man was their first single. Check out songs like Roll Away Your Stone, and The Cave.

let me know what you think.

27. twocents says:

I never stopped either. Still the best way to hear and enjoy recorded music.

28. twocents says:

“Who Knows Where the Time Goes” is matchless.

29. jennifer1984 says:

my boyfriend and i are buying vinyl.

for christmas he found me a mint copy of the beatles- rubber soul (original)
    we have a vinyl book that gives us values of the records and stuff….we only buy originals, no reproductions and prefer mono over stereo.

nothing beats the sound of vinyl…..nothing

30. 23 HABS 23 says:

I was trying to get a serious response … I tried to laugh (even smile) at your post … but it came up miles short … the post was about as useful as a kick in the groin!  Thanks for nuthin’ SmartDog!  Keep the jokes coming though … I think you might get top line minutes if you keep at it and give it your all!

Again, thanks for your poor attempt at humour!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

31. Everlasting1 says:

More recently..

Keep Of Kalessin

Children Of Bodom

Lacuna Coil

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

32. fbkj says:

how could you not know tool?

or of montreal’s snappy song they sold to the outback steakhouse?

33. Rugger says:

I agree with you, Sandy Denny, God rest her soul, was, is and always will be the greatest female vocalist ever.  One of the highlights of my live music experiences was seeing Richard Thompson join Fairport at the Newport Folk Festival in the early 1990’s for the first time on this side of the ocean since he left the band.

34. SmartDog says:

Until you get to the White Stripes, I don’t know any of that.  What in there is most like my list?

35. SmartDog says:

Did you miss the news?  Cammallerri was traded!

And the bus driver had a heart attack, Price had to jump behind the wheel but they went over a cliff.  Gill had to let the forwards climb down his body to safety.

It’s been quite a morning!

36. SmartDog says:

Did you see The The at the Specturm with Jonny Marr?   Great show.  Matt Johnson is so dark but without the melodrama of similar stuff.

37. SmartDog says:

Yeah, good list.

38. bigjames says:

the the still an all time fav of mine. no ipod here, i am still buying vinyl!

39. fbkj says:

also a great site to dl wavs to turn into bitchin iphone ringtones

40. twocents says:

Huh, Rugger, I remember exchanging comments with you about Neil Young a couple of years ago. I love him. It’s interesting to see how much crossover our tastes have. From that list I share an appreciation for Dylan(very much so), the Byrds, some Wilco and most interestingly British folk. I don’t meet a ton of people who like that stuff.

I think Fairport Convention from “What We Did on Our Summer Holidays” to “Full House” are amazing. Sandy Denny is one of the greatest female vocalist ever. I love the first 5 Steeleye Span records, the first best, I think . Pentangle is dazzling, “Cruel Sister” being my favourite. Select Richard Thompson records knock me out, specifically “I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight”. I love John Martyn. I like Nick Drake. The Incredible String Band. I also enjoy any solo stuff I’ve heard from Bert Jansch and John Renborne.

I also like a ton of other stuff that’s totally different.

41. 23 HABS 23 says:

Sorry guys … was out this morning … any word on whether the HABS were able to make it home for the Penguins game?  I read some stuff about Cammi out for optional skate … but he stayed home … please let me know … if no game … I will go in to work on OT.  Thanks guys!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

42. Da Hema says:

Where/how do you find sites like that?

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

43. joeybarrie says:

The Sens don’t have very many forward prospects. I have to say their cupboard is bare in that regard. This season will help however, I fully expect them to secure a top 5 draft pick (hopefully at Toronto’s and Boston’s expense).

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. shiram says:

Eller to Hamilton as soon as Cammy is back on the ice? I think it could happen, and it could do some good for Eller. Yes its probably not a great feeling being sent down, but then he would at least get to play legitimate ice time, and probably get used on pp and/or pk.

With the injuries we have, the lacking offence and the tightness of the race for the playoffs, JM tries to play a mistake free game and with our lack of offence we cannot allow too much chances for the opposition to distance themselves from us on the scorecard,  Eller was told to watch out and avoid the bad penalties, and he goes and gets one when on the top line, you just can’t reward that…

Eller is a project, and he will surely evolve into a much better player with time and experience. He is only 21, and kinda like MaxPac last year, the time in the A could do him tons of good. But beyond that it is up him to step it up, work hard and make his way into the gameplan of the coach.

DD shows some flash of greatness, but you gotta wonder, can the guy really be a top 6 forward? Some more games are in order for him, let him get as good a chance has Eller had.

AK46 well, he did seem to like playing on the third line, that could be a revelation…

45. jennifer1984 says:

does it for me!

46. Hobie Hansen says:

The best scenario for the Habs and Benoit Pouliot is if the team were to go out and acquire a couple more bodies. In my opinion, Pouliot is a great 3rd line player so he should stay where he has a little less pressure on him and where he can continue to do his thing.

Montreal has tried turning him into a top six forward and he always seems to have mixed results. If you play him on a third line with a couple other guys around his talent rage I think good things could happen.

All of us HIO dudes have talked about the Habs getting nastier to play against for the 4 years I’ve been a member here, and it continues.

The Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings of the 1990s come to mind when speaking of that issue. In the Rangers case, they added Glen Anderson to their top six and a few grinders, Stephane Matteau, Brian Noonan and Craig MacTavish to complete their team.

The Red Wings acquired the total package, Brendan Shanahan to put them over the top.

I think Montreal either has to go the Detroit route and acquire a top quality power forward that can change the face of a team or a bunch of grit with a bit of scoring touch like the Rangers.

47. avatar_58 says:

Cammy gives you a buzz in your pants does he?

48. fbkj says:

rds app just buzzed in my pants, cammy is at the optional practice

49. Propwash says:

The Sens are just a trainwreck. And I thought Toronto was bad, well, they still are.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

50. Bugs says:

Corey Locke’s been called up to Sens.

Go get’em, kid…uhh.., I mean, man.

Happy New Year, signed

51. Storm Man says:

I will just list the bands.

Iron Maiden. what the hell else do you need when you are at the gym.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

52. jennifer1984 says:

i like what you’ve got there!

53. jennifer1984 says:

i have so many songs in my 3 ipods it’s not even funny….but as for what i listen to most…..i’ll list the bands

passion pit
    mumford and sons
    of montreal
    florence and the machine
    amazing baby
    vampire weekend
    french horn rebellion
    white stripes
    bob dylan
    elton john
    katy perry…oh yes i do

i could continue……..there are a lot.

54. Rugger says:

Dead, Dylan, CCR, CSNY, Byrds, Canned Heat, lots of British Isles Folk music, & British Blues (John Mayall, early Fleetwood Mac) more recent stuff includes Norah Jones, Wilco.

55. shiram says:

Can I just list bands? I will just list bands…

Faith no more
    The Gathering
    The Devin Townsend Project
    Strapping young lad
    Iron Maiden

56. Everlasting1 says:

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

57. SmartDog says:

What’s in YOUR IPod?

I’ve been listening to Plek’s selections. I love the player, thought I’d check out his music, some of it’s excellent, (some too whiny for me but he seems to like radio stuff).   So thought I’d post my list.

I put the newer stuff first (there’s a lot of older stuff). I’d be VERY surprised if anyone knows it all….

100 Years – Five for Fighting
    Don’t You Forget About Me – Simple Minds
    Basket Case – Green Day
    Kate Bush – Hounds of Love
    Madness – One Step Beyond
    Perfect Day – The The
    Over the Hills and Far Away – Led Zeppelin

Don’t be shy!  What’s in YOURS?

58. joeybarrie says:

What is keeping me from thinking of him as a first line player is exactly that. He is struggling to be a full impact player. However he has the ability, and a player like Pouliot might just take a bit of time to find consistency. He has yet to play a full season, so that doesn’t help. I think his move here to Montreal has been a good one, and he now is showing he understands there is more to his game than producing goals. He is getting good coaching here and help from his teammates. I think he is 2nd line material. Not first.

I do not think we will see Pouliot fade away again this season. I don’t think he will be a point a game player for the rest of the season, but as he gets more time on the ice, he will be a positive for us. We do need to be realistic. EVEN AK has learned that his low production doesnt mean he cant play a defensive type of game.

I know we really think poorly of JM, but he is a coach who makes players understand they have different roles to play and he teached them to have defensive responsibility. Sometimes that hurt the production a bit, but it help the player in the long run. More responsible and less dumb mistakes.

Try to understand too, we have had Pouliot for 2 half seasons and one Playoff. This isn’t enough to judge where his career is going. Lapierre had more ice time than Pouliot did during the playoffs. Moore had more than AK. Thats the type of coach JM is, he wants something specific and gives you time when you do it correctly. Give Pouliot till the end of the season to find his game. Most players, even underacheivers, find their game at his age, and with regular consistency. He has won JM over with his play so far this season, as he has not been scratched once. He is doing something right. He also has top two line points on this team and he is doing it with 3rd line minutes.

ALL GOOD SIGNS FOR THE FUTURE. Will he be a 30+ goal a season player and consistenly put up 60+ points? I doubt it, but he wont be far off. And thats still pretty good.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

59. habs63 says:

good fight

I like the announcer. “now they’re in a full blown debate” lol

60. krob1000 says:

exactly my point…..if you are young…and ahave the inevitable off games…you get demoted…if you are gomez, gio, cammi, etc or Spatch, Hammer, Gill on D…you are autmoatically assumed to get top minutes and the best linemates, situations,etc.  I was happy to see JM throwing out the workers who were working…he has done it on this last stretch and has been rewarded…maybe it is finally hitting home? I hope so..but history tells me not to get too excited about it.

61. jimmy shaker says:

I don’t mind Pouliot on the 3rd line, and I also think Pouliot doesn’t mind as well.  He just goes out and plays without the pressure of having to produce every shift.  I think by him on the 3rd line, he doesn’t have to face the top 4 d-men of the opposing team shift after shift, and that actually insulates him and helps his game.  I think JM should keep him on the 3rd line, give him some PP time and everyone will be happy.  I say smart move, one of JM’s very very few!

62. RS says:

Sure, everyone should be able to agree that Pouliot still has potential upside. But, part of having realistic expectations is not to crap on him when he has the inevitable weak games (or drastically reduce his icetime or sit him in the pressbox).

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Another example of stats failing to tell the whole story.

64. avatar_58 says:

I think by forcing him to work for ice time he’s staying focused. Simply giving him top 6 minutes didn’t work before

65. adamkennelly says:

for a team that is almost dead last in the league in Fighting Majors – I seem to see a lot of fight videos on HABS inside out.

I’m just saying…

maybe they should start posting videos of our guys yapping and skating away or our skilled guys getting run…

66. Bugs says:

Three-game winning streak now, all come-from-behinders. It’s wonderful to see the boys leaving it all out there. Good tidings for the near future, ask me.

A great lady once said that we should just give it up, get on down, and that little by little, we’d turn it around.

Wiser words, my friends, wiser words…

Happy New Year, signed

67. krob1000 says:

or like Gomez having a god ten game run despite everyone knowing he is a 12-15 goal guy and about a 60 pt guy…or Gio who is a 20-30 goal guy….wait that si what Ak is.  The interesting thing is Pouliot is young, big and has never had a consistent season with pp time, top line minutes….so we don’t know what his ceiling is.  That is thepoint I think people are making…Pouliot had a great run last year and got Gomez going , actually for a while there whatever line POuliot was on was our best line. Let’s also remember Pleks can make anyone good too….so why not see what Pleks can do with Poulit…we know that AK is about a 25 goal guy with Pleks and pp time…he cuold go as high 35 IMO if things go well.  We know where everyone else is…I want to know what POuliot is…especially given his status as an RFA, his age, his size, he plays physical as well and while not a fighter…..he definitely stands up for himself.  I am not basin this on two games…I have been whining about this since he poured it on earlier in the eyar…he came out oft eh gates trying to earn top minutes and opportunity….and in my mind id..but Halpern got the credit somehow.

68. RS says:

I like Pouliot. I really do. I hope he becomes a consistent top 6 guy, maybe first line material. That would be sweet. He does show flashes of that ability.

But come on folks, he plays well for two games and people are thinking that he is finally becoming that player! As Arpon points out, we have seen this before! It’s like when AK tantilizes us with a couple good games in a row. Pouliot is periodically great, then regularlly gets in a funk. Based on past experience, Pouliot is due for maybe 1-3 more strong games before fading more into the background. You know, right now, that’s not actually too bad. We just need to be realistic.

Don’t pile excess expectations on the guy!

69. krob1000 says:

you’re crazy…but yeah…that’s dumb

70. shiram says:

Auld left one softie in, and I was thinking about Mike G’s post wanting Price in, I was starting to think, we won’t be able to come back, we can’t keep coming back. But we did, and Auld stopped everything else, not a huge load of work, but the made the important saves. This is probably a boost of confidence for the player, they know they can play in front of Auld, and still win. Good for Auld, and good for the Habs, as he must play some more games.

Great to see Pouliot coming into his own, hopefully he can keep it up, as we desperately need that secondary scoring ( we need primary scoring too ).

Hopefully the plane delay, and last night’s game wont have tired out the team too much, alot of players got alot of ice time, while some got just about a night off.

71. SmartDog says:

Great artcle by Basu on Pouliot.   I like his player articles – always an insightful take.

I didn’t know that Pouliot is our leader in points per 60 minutes.  Wow.  So he hasn’t earned Martin’s confidence why?  I don’t get it.  A bottom-six player is your leader in points/time at the halfway mark…. and he doens’t deserve a chance at steady top-6 minutes.  Call me crazy, but I think that’s dumb.

72. SmartDog says:

I had a friend in high school whose family was from Scotland – he introduced me to Brit rock… the Jam, the Clash, Specials, The The… stuff that only trickled over here.  Great stuff. I’ll absolutely check out those names and let you know! ——-