A return to Bell Centre for Stars’ Cole

The Canadiens, coming off a 2-0 win over the Rangers Monday night in New York, didn’t skate Tuesday morning before facing the Dallas Stars Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Stars will also be playing their second game in two nights, coming off a 4-3 win over the Buffalo Sabres Monday.

Tuesday’s game will be the first at the Bell Centre for Erik Cole since being traded from the Canadiens to the Stars last season. The Canadiens traded Cole to Dallas on Feb. 26, 2013 in exchange for Michael Ryder and a third-round draft pick this year, which turned out to be Connor Crisp.

Cole had two assists in Monday’s win in Buffalo, giving him 1-4-5 totals in 11 games to go along with a minus-3. Cole is playing on a line with Jamie Benn, who scored a goal Monday, and Tyler Seguin, who had a goal and an assist.

Monday’s game was the first in Buffalo for Stars coach Lindy Ruff, who coached the Sabres for 15 seasons before being fired last season.

Ruff will be an assistant coach for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics and will be keeping an eye on a couple of Habs players Tuesday night.

“We’re keeping an eye on all the (Sochi Olympic) possibilities,” he told Montreal reporters Tuesday morning. “P.K. (Subban) and Carey (Price) are a big part of that.”

Ruff added: “If they play bad tonight, I’ll give them a chance.”

Stars rookie forward Alex Chiasson, who grew up in Montreal, told reporters he needed to get 52 tickets for family and friends for the game at the Bell Centre.

(Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images)

Canadiens vs. Stars preview, NHL.com

Stars’ Chiasson will have tough matchup against Subban, Dallas Morning News

Habs’ Budaj blanks Rangers, by Pat Hickey

Therrien delighted by tight, defensive effort, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Rangers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Budaj plays role of substitute teacher, Canadiens.com

Some good news for Bournival (24CH video), Canadiens.com

Habs spoil Rangers home opener, NHL.com

Plenty of history at renovated Madison Square Garden, Stu on Sports blog

Stars win in Ruff’s return to Buffalo, Dallasstars.com

Habs’ Briere makes list of NHL’s Dirtiest players, Stu on Sports blog

1. JM says:

The Team is doing good. Why knock anybody

2. Luke says:

I must say, it sure is nice to see the Habs trying to add more players that are in excess of 1.8 metres tall and weigh over 91 kilograms.

3. New says:

I can only imagine how well Cole would be doing this year with DD at center. Man he lit it up with DD as is center. DD got buckets of points as Cole’s center. I hope Montreal doesn’t panic and do something stupid like trading DD to Dallas for some homeboy like Chiasson.

According to RDS Murray is in today. Probably no changes to the lineup other the Price’s in.

5. Steeltown Hab says:

Was it only me or did anyone else not mind what they say from Murray ln? Don’t get me wrong he looked raw but his mobility looked better than it did in pre-season (not saying much).

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

6. Luke says:

Hello my American friends and Friends living in America:

Can you pass this around to everyone else?

• HabFab says:

It is the considered belief of the Tea Party that the introduction of the Metric system in the USA would just be a precursor to the feared Death Committees of the Canadian style Medicare proposed under Obamacare…. so good luck with that!

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for that Luke and I surely will share with others but I’m afraid it will do little good.

I joke all the time to my Canadian friends, of which I’m fortunate to have many, that we attempted to learn the system in school during my youth but we were not smart enough. Speaking for myself, that’s probably true. You could probably add lazy to the mix as well.

CHeers

7. Ozmodiar says:

Hypothetical scenario….
    ____________________
    MB manages to trade Briere and Desharnais for Joe Thornton in the upcoming weeks. Big Joe contributes but the Habs fail to win the Cup.

In the off-season Joe signs with another team, and MB uses the available cap space to bring back Tomas Kaberle – 5M x 2 yrs. Heck, make it 6M!! They let him wear #19, pulling it out of the rafters during the opening ceremony.
    ____________________

In this scenario, was the Briere + DD for Thornton trade a good one??

I say yes.

Was the Ryder for Cole trade good, despite the bone-headed Briere signing??

Yup.

• Mustang says:

I don’t know about your hypothetical trade but no one will ever wear # 19 in Montreal again and Kaberle sucks. Just my opinion of course.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

So you’re saying MB didn’t trade Cole for Ryder, knowing that he would use the cap savinigs to sign Briere? I thought this was all part of a sinister plot by MB to trade away all our power forwards to sign smallish, injury prone french-canadians in an effort to completely destroy the Habs, at which point MB would become GM of the Leafs and win the Stanley Cup 4 years in a row! Was I ever wrong.

• Ozmodiar says:

Well….. Briere was plan D or E.

Plan A: sign Martin St. Louis – ooops, not a free agent
        Plan B: sign Ryder – he refused to be the torch bearer
        Plan C: sign Vinnie – he wanted more term, and was afraid to come here

Enjoy the game everyone, have a good night!

9. joeybarrie says:

Phaneuf at 7 million a season…………
    STUPID. MONUMENTALLY STUPID.
    Leafs have 22 million in order to sign 9 players next season…
    After Phaneuf takes 7 million they will have 15 million to sign at least 8 players including:
    -Cody Franson
    -Dave Bolland
    -James Reimer
    -Nikolai Kulemin
    -Jake Gardiner

You would think after Komisarek, Grabovski, Liles, etc, etc they would have learned…………

PK deserves a big contract at a decent price. We are much smarter than the Leafs.

10. Roy_s_WINK says:

Gorges will be your next captain.

MB will dump the Briere and DD contracts.

Max will get 35 goals this year.

Budaj will win the William M. jennings.

• Stevie.Ray says:

DD maybe. Briere no way. A two year deal with a NTC in his home province. He’s here to stay until next season at the very earliest.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

What’s his status now anyway?
        I would hope feeling better but putting his career and the rest of his life into perspective. There,you got to don the might CH and all that other childhood hoopla. Now go outside and play with your millions of dollars and enjoy your family before your brain is turned to unrepairable mush. Not trying to sound cruel,just a win win situation for everybody.
        Maybe RDS is hiring.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Sorry Gorges, just no, does a great hockey interview, but truly is a 4-5 D man at best.

Briere NMC so he’s not moving can’t even be sent down. DD I really don’t think any team would take him on unless we got an equally bad contract coming back.

Pacioretty it’s certainly possible.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

Matty hasn’t been around today… I assume he is having a baby finally?

Has anyone seen what the practise lines looked like at practise today? Curious if we see Crankshaft in the game again tonight.

13. frontenac1 says:

I’m in favour of snuffing posts. Especially mine.

• habcertain says:

now that’s funny!

How exactly are you posting right now? Figured you were standing in the water with a glass of scotch in one hand (Like Julian in Trailer Park Boys) and a cohiba in the other while staring at the deck while your son lifted it out of the water. I thought that was how you described the process to me Friday night, granted I may have gotten the story confused….

14. Bill says:

It’s funny how a vast majority of those here think the Cole trade was a good deal, according to the poll results.

He was essentially traded for cap space, which was used on Briere. I’d rather have two years of Cole than two years of Briere myself.

Bergevin is in the early stages of his GM career, but he hasn’t done anything of note yet. Won’t be able to judge for years, but he’s made some questionable decisions already.

What’s really funny is how good most Gauthier’s moves are looking these days.

• Timo says:

Ironic, isn’t it? As a huge supported of Bergevin myself, I am stunned.

• thorandresson says:

The Cole move was good simply because he was on the decline, 18 points in his las 58 games, 12 points in 39 games since he got traded to Dallas, he’s lost his mojo. Ryder was way more productive so that was a win right there, unfortunately Briere has looked pretty bad…

Agree on the Gauthier comment…goes to show how quick people are to judge, especially with trades, which should always be judged a few years down the line…

• Marcusman says:

I think he was crap in the room….from what I saw on 24 ch he doesn’t seem too bright and then there was that shot of him covering up the camera’s …he came off as baby lala….

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

At the time i thought everything made sense. Cole was under performing,there was rumblings of “locker room rifts” and what not,and the thought of what could be done with that nice chunk of cap space made me giddy.
      Then along came Ryder racking up the points and i thought “genius”.
      Then Ryder disappeared,first figuratively,then literally. And along came Briere getting torches handed to him. Now in hindsight i look back and say, “doh”!
      I believe you were the first and loudest to bemoan the deal last year Bill. I would say you nailed it.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I would like to make it known for the most part I supported most of the moves Gauthier made, and defended him at the time.

I thought the Cammalleri deal was good.
      I thought the Halak deal was good in relation to most goalie trades (although I would have liked to have gotten an established NHLer along with Eller)
      I liked the O’Byrne trade.
      I wasn’t a fan of the Kaberle trade but realized it was the only QB option on the trademarket.
      I recognized that we have been one of the more injured teams over the last 5 or 6 years.
      I emphasized that we were in a rebuilding phase while not completely tanking.

• VancouverHab says:

On Halak, I have the contrary view: to get Eller I would trade Halak AND a current roster player (DD or Briere of course would be addition by subtraction, so they don’t count here….)

• alestar says:

I mentioned in a previous thread how I thought Holland looked pretty good on the PK last night and was solid the shifts he got on the 4th line…

XXIV…and counting

• CH Marshall says:

Or you can look at it this way: he got rid of Gomez only to divide that into two contracts with DD and Briere. But I do have to say if it wasnt for the Goat, we wouldnt have Chucky..

If DD is able to get scoring again, I believe he’ll be traded next year or following. If not, well, then we are stuck with another Gomez….

• christophor says:

The Cole trade was good and the Briere signing was bad. They didn’t need to both happen and so we shouldn’t analyse them together. We can say that Bergevin wasted the opportunity he gave himself by getting rid of Cole. Signing Briere was one of many possibilities.

I do agree that the net result of the two moves is bad. I’d rather have Cole.

• bwoar says:

Nothing wrong with the Cole trade. The fact that MB went and signed Briere doesn’t change my view of the trade itself. Just that he’s iffy at signing free agents!

“thoroughbred”

• mount royal says:

Sorry, but Cole had lost it. He was a power forward with no power.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I was with you until your final sentence when madness clearly overcame you. Gauthier will always remain one of the worst GM’s of all time.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• dr. gesundheit says:

+1,000,000,000…thank-you…finally…someone who makes some sense. I agree that the jury is out on MB based on what we’ve seen to date. (some puzzling moves, yet encouraging and hopefully we can chalk some of it up to lack of experience)

re Gauthier…how soon we forget…his influence during the Gainey years culminating with his short term @ the helm during the 2011/12 season says it all (and a 28th overall record with undeniably the softest, smallest, most vulnerable lineup imaginable).

If he was so great why has he not resurfaced as a GM?

• John Q Public says:

He’s got a ring on his finger.

Why’s MB given more time than him ?

It’s a conspiracy I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!

• dr. gesundheit says:

Aye Carumba…Chicago’s Stanley Cup ring?…Yah, and we all know how much he contributed towards getting that one.

He had all kinds of time to wield his influence as an Assistant to Gainey. (and at least from all accounts, he certainly did).

He finally took over with Gainey as an Advisor. (to reap the benefits of his amazing decisions/moves)…and we all know how that ended. (28th place, I believe last in the conference…yee-haw…the rookies and our goalies shell-shocked, lacking confidence and confused, rookies and veterans beaten up/humiliated every game until he applied a temporary piece meal band-aid in Brad Staubitz…(don’t get me wrong, Staubitz did all that he was paid to do and more)

yes, I’ll concede, he made some good moves. (but they pale in comparison to his overall poor management decisions)

One of the worst GMs of all time.

• JohninTruro says:

Bill, I think we need to see what, if anything, comes of Connor Crisp before we can seal the deal on this one.

15. Johnny9 says:

@smartdog

1. Who cares
    2. He’ll put him with DD for now, but I’d like to see chucky at center and Paches on his left.
    3. Tinordi
    4. Bulldogs don’t suck
    5. DD, Gionta, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon, drewiske, Briere

• Luke says:

Do you post from a phone? Just curious b/c of structure of some posts and replies.

Re: Galchenyuk at centre. I agree with you and then I see him in a game like last night getting pinned in his defensive zone and realize that centre may not be the best place for him *yet*

16. Johnny9 says:

*contracts like Clarkson’s

17. SmartDog says:

FIVE QUESTIONS
    1. Who had a better game last night: LL or Murray?
    2. If Patches came back tonight, what line would you put him on?
    3. Who is likely finish the year in Montreal: A. Tinordi B. Beaulieu C. Both
    4. Headscratcher: How is it that we have so many near-NHL ready guys on the farm… but the Bulldogs suck?
    5. Name as many players as you can, that the Habs could lose for nothing and not miss them.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• thorandresson says:

the Bulldogs are 4-2-2, how do they suck?

• Timo says:

1. Murray… he cranked it.
      2. On the Pleks line instead of Gionta
      3. I think neither. With Emelin coming back it leaves only 3 potential spots on D. Therrien is too much in love with his pets Gorgers, Diaz and Bouillon to take them out. He may occasionally rotate them with Murray, so barring additional flood of injuries, both will stay in Hamilton.
      4. Coach?
      5. Is this a trick question, Doggy?

Murray – Considering he played no meaningfull hockey prior to last night this season.

Patches I would put with DD and Bourque.

Beaulieu, assuming Emelin/Murray healthy. If not then Tinordi.

Not sure we have that many, and the ones we do have all been called up at least once this year.

Loaded question, Briere, Drewiskie, and possibly DD.

• twilighthours says:

I just can’t take you seriously when you’re mugging like that.

Bring back the dog avatar.

• Cal says:

1. Even 2. Patches with Pleks and Bournival. 3. Actually- neither.
      4: Bulldogs are ok (so far) 5. DD, Diaz, and Moen.

• Luke says:

1) Ummm.. neither. Both were fine. Both had string moments and weak moments. So I say: It’s a wash.
      2) W/ Bourque & DD, I guess. But that’s the easy answer. so: Galchenyuk – Eller – to the MAX!
      3) Beaulieu. (no reason, just a feeling)
      4) Because being near NHL ready doesn’t = career AHLers. That’s what the Bulldogs lack. Guys like Zigomanis and whonot.
      5) (of established guys… no Holland etc) DD or Briere, DD, Murray or Boullion, White or Moen, Parros, Budaj.

• SmartDog says:

You can’t include Budaj. He’s gone 10-1-1 in his last 12 starts and has been a great teamate. Couldn’t replace him with better.

The rest I agree with…. though I wouldn’t toss BOTH Murray AND Parros. We need some of that.
        ————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Luke says:

Hey, he’s done well, no question.
          But he’s a back up goalie. We wouldn’t really miss him. Another Back up would be fine. Maybe not put up crazy #’s like PB’s are, but they’d be decent enough and I don’t think he’d be missed.

I also wouldn’t go looking to replace him. Most of the guys I picked were people I consider to be redundancies.

And I agree: If you pick Boullion over Murray, you have to keep Parros.

• Hello SD, when you get a chance could you send me a copy of that picture you took of me at the game? Thanks, plus I have a little sholi2000 Canadiens package for your little fella.

Nice to see you again!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

18. Johnny9 says:

Habs would match any offer for PK. Leafs should watch out with all their stupid Contracts like contracts they’re going to be in cap trouble and if anything when Kadri or someone else becomes and RFA for them we can screw them if they do that.

@Timo
    Iam more concerned of Julien being a team Canada coach than Ruff.

@i forget who
    I would trade DD for a bag of pucks and to clear the cap space, don’t care if we get nothing in return!

19. frontenac1 says:

Phaneuf is tough? He’s a punk and a pussy!

20. frontenac1 says:

Air temp 2C,Water Temp 5C. Waiting for my son to help me get the Dock out of the water. I heard it’s not good to have alcohol before you go in cold water? Screw it! They are both liquids,if I’m going to freeze my nuts off I’m going to do with a smile.Saludos!

21. habsfan0 says:

The Stars new unis are a big improvement over what they were wearing the last couple of years,but still are nowhere nearly as imaginative as the uniforms they were wearing when they won the Stanley Cup in 1999. I wonder why they got rid of those (the ones with the big stylized star) and why they won’t or can’t bring them back again.

22. thorandresson says:

That Bournival is such a good kid, by far the biggest surprise of the year, what a steal from Gauthier, and yet everyone here kept complaining about losing O’Byrne at the time…

• habcertain says:

he looks good, but has only been 10 games, I seem to remember a certain Gui, who looked pretty promising at the start of his career. let’s hope it continues.

• thorandresson says:

True, but there’s a big difference in their styles and they were they were brought up. Bournival has speed, hockey smarts and a great work ethic, whereas Tender was big and talented, with average to below average hockey smarts and a poor work ethic…

23. Lafleurguy says:

Louis Leblanc, Alex Chiasson, and Chris Kreider are all from the same draft year. Colorado scored Matt Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly in the first two rounds that year which must be the main reason why the Avalanche are playing so well this year.

“May you live in interesting times.”

24. TheDagger says:

Those sure are some fugly jerseys the Stars are sporting. Gross.

25. Say Ash says:

Are we facing former Habs great Dan Ellis tonight?

26. Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and for the discussion on the topic I raised. I certainly didn’t expect everyone to agree with me, but I am gratified that you all took the time to read and consider my post and reply thoughtfully and respectfully.

The original post that raise my ire, which wished injury on a specific player, has been removed, so we’ve got that going for us.

Is this what you guys did at the Summit, hold HalGillquin Tables on various issues relevant to the Habs and HIO?

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Timo says:

It looks like they did not have enough hand cream at the Summit. I am not going to venture a guess as to why.

• secretdragonfly says:

Sure, that’s exactly what went on, we, uh, just forgot to take pictures of the, um, serious discussions. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• Garbo says:

I went back to read your post. You make some good points. But … (there’s always a but, espcially on here) I think its easy for many on here to feel a sense of ownership over this community or website, when it is important to remember you don’t own it, nor does the happy majority of posters, nor do the trolls you refer to.

This is an open forum and all should be allowed to participate. If you get your enjoyment out of it from making nice with everyone that is great. Others may find enjoyment out of posting more provocative posts and getting a rise out of people. That’s their perrogative.

Bottom line is, no one owns, there are certain rules to participating, and as long as those are followed, people are free to post as they please. The purpose of the site is what each poster makes it for themselves. It’s not going to be the same for everyone.

Don’t get me wrong. I think your posts are some of the best, and agree that the posts you refer to are largely useless drivel. But its not my or your place to police or censor them.

And if we don’t like it, anyone is free to leave and even start their own blogs, which we know has been done in the past.

27. SteverenO says:

Gallagher as I posted inan earlier thread has done a great job of improving his defensive play. Last season despite being tremendous offensively he was among the worst of Habs forward with one goal allowed per every 20 minutes of even strength ice time. This season he is among the best having been on the ice for only 2 goals against in 150 minutes, an average of 75 mins per Goal against! He is becoming an excellent two-way player, and we are lucky to have him in our line-up.

It was nice to see Gallagher rewarded with some time on the penalty kill yesterday. Hopefully that will continue and even more importantly, I hope that his PP time will start to be reduced.

Here are some PowerPlay productivity numbers:

Gallagher: 30 :43 PPTOI – Team PP Goals = 2
    AVG- 1 PPG every 15 minutes 21 seconds

Bournival 4 : 40 PP TOI — Team PP goals = 2
    AVG- 1 PPg every 2 minutes 20 seconds

Pacioretty: 7:48 PP TOI – team PPG Goals= 3
    AVG= 1 PPG every 2 minutes 36 seconds

Briere: 16:39 PP TOI – Team PP goals- 3
    AVG 1 PPG every 5 minutes and 33 seconds

Desharnais: 22:39 PP TOI – Team PP goals = 3
    AVG= 1 PPG every 7 minutes and 33 seconds

Gionta; 22; 22:38 PP TOI Team PP goals = 5
    One PP goal every 4 minutes and 31 seconds

Somehow, Gallagher keeps getting top PP minutes.

regards,

Steve O.

• John Q Public says:

There’s no one to replace him right now.

• SteverenO says:

6 forwards requied for twoPP lines:

in no particular order:

Gionta, Plekanec, Bourque, Galchenyuk, Eller, Bounival, Desharnais. makes 7.

Upon return form Injury you have Pacioretty , & Briere to make 9 players who could, and should play on the PP unit ahead of Gallagher. 10 if you count LeBlanc and maybe 11 if you include Prust

regards,

Steve O.

• Habcouver says:

I’m just amazed with Gally’s ability to take a beating. I hope he gets some protection soon.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Luke says:

The Habs (Marray) should start welcoming visitors to their crease as heartily as opponents welcome Gallagher.

I’m sure the refs wouldn’t call one and not the other.

(PS I thought the refs were as bad for the Rangers last night as they were for the Habs vs San Jose)

28. Bill says:

Hard to believe there is only one team in the Western conference with a sub .500 record. Less hard to believe that the club is Edmonton … something to think about for the tankers out there.

By comparison, right now there are nine sub .500 teams in the East. One of them (Carolina) is tied for seventh in the conference.

Full Breezer 4 Life

29. I’d like to see a convincing win tonight, something similar to the Ducks game this past Thursday. Maybe Seguin will be too tired to play like Getz and Perry!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Habcouver says:

I’m hoping the team gives support to CP who has been great this early season!

Waiting patiently for #25

• I’m not concerned about Price one bit, he is everything we all knew he was and will be. But these guys are hard to watch, it’s NJ hockey and that’s not good for fans. Can’t wait for some key guys to return. Makes for a better game. G mentioned it this morning with the return of Max, Brandon, and Yummiman, this team will be fun to watch again.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Habcouver says:

Thanks Shane. I always appreciate your insight.
          I just want to make sure that CP increases his chance of being #1 at Sochi and bring home Gold.

Waiting patiently for #25

• He’ll have to thunder pretty hard to not be number one. Stevie Y loves the guy and the others are good but the numbers don’t lie. Only Varlamov and Rask look better. Then again what do I know, I’ve only cheered for his success since two seconds after he was drafted, just like all Habs fans do.

Same thing for Desharnais, I hope he can turn it around some how because hockey in the NHL won’t wait forever on him.

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Summit Member 1.29.31.33

30. Strummer says:

According to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet Leafs have begun negotiating with Dion Phaneuf.

Starting point is 7 years / $50 million.

Looks like PK will benefit from this type of contract- if he wasn’t already in line for a whopper of of a contract

Chilling scenario- Phaneuf walks and Leafs make a pitch for hometown boy PK

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Luke says:

PK: 8 years @ a heck of a lot.

• Strummer says:

that’s the Habs advantage – the 8th year.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habcertain says:

if that’s his starting point, PK will be the highest paid D-man easily, wonder if MB is re-thinking that bridge contract, under estimates PK, and over estimates DD…..hmmm.

• Habsrule1 says:

Who’s to say PK performs the same way with a long-term contract in his back pocket? I was all for giving him the long term contract, but MB may have done the right thing. He saved money in the short term and the cap is going up. PK is earning every penny of his next contract.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

Phaneuf for $50 mil. Wow, and we think $14 mill for DD is a lot too much. That deal would be about $40 mil too much.

• That’s crazy money for Phaneuf. He’s a $5M guy in my book. Subban is more like $7-8M.

Phaneuf:
      6’3″, 214lbs, 51 points over the last 2 seasons, on track for 41 points this year, 28 and already slowing down.

Subban:
      6′, 217lbs, 74 points over the last two seasons, on track for 75 points this year, 24 years old and his peak still ahead of him.

Sure Phaneuf is a bit bigger, and tougher. But they’re both physical, and PK is better in all three zones.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Morenz7 says:

That really spells it out nicely. My sense is that teams are working harder to contain PK, so I won’t be surprised if his production slows a bit. But he’s surely worth more in term and dollars than Phaneuf.

God help us if the Laffs go ahead with this idiocy.

31. Propwash says:

This made me laugh, Chuckies soccer goal…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

32. db says:

Well I was happy when Cole was traded because that freed up some cap space but honestly if given a choice between briere or Cole, I would prefer the power forward… I get the feeling he was tired of this place though.

33. Max_a_million says:

Doesn’t it seem like Prust is being a big brother to the kids like Galchenyuk … very impressive to me. Really has to help team chemistry.

34. Max_a_million says:

Full Health Habs lines
    Plekanek – Gionta – Bournival
    Galchenyuk – Gallagher – Prust
    Eller – Pacioretty – Bourque
    White – Moen – Parros

Desharnais in when there is an injury. At least he will take the heat off of other players being the whipping boy.
    I don’t think Briere is coming back :-(

Markov – Emelin
    Subban – Gorges
    Bouillon – Diaz/Murray

• Luke says:

Argh, the dreaded: Centre – Wing – Wing set up. I was all “gionta as centre!?!”

As much as some may not like it, DD and Briere are playing in a ‘everyone’s healthy roster’

Hopefully they keep Markov and PK together. Play Emelin w/ Diaz.
      Markov and PK is a heck of a combo.

35. Un Canadien errant says:

Oh, and Timo: salami with mayo, not mustard? Really?

36. kalevine says:

Cole’s style and strength are definitely missed. It would be tolerable if we had used the saved cap space for a younger player with similar attributes. Instead we have Briere

• Max_a_million says:

Even a PA Parenteau … he’s not big and nasty like Cole. Yet not a shrinking violet either

• I would have loved Morrow or even Gagne instead of Briere, but I didn’t think the signing was crazy at the time. I was surprised, though, at how little he added to the team before his injury.

37. Fransaskois says:

I’m very excited having Leblanc in the lineup. If he plays well, I’d expect to see management make a move to make room for him. From being over-hyped in his draft year to being totally forgotten about and under-appreciated this year and last, he’s been on quite the journey.

• knob says:

It would be nice to see LL make the jump but who do you move? Bournival has earned his spot, for now. It is possible that Briere is going to be out for a long time so might not need to move anyone. I don’t see any trades happening unless they involve Gionta, who has a no trade clause.

• Fransaskois says:

Dale Tallon’s been sniffing around Montreal and has long been rumoured to potentially be interested in DD. It’s a long shot but I think it’s reasonable to believe he’d be willing to take on the contract if he sees something in DD. That’s the only trade I see as a real possibility.

Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
        Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
        Bourque-Galchenyuk-Leblanc
        Moen-White-Prust

• habcertain says:

I like those line, was thinking the same thing about Chucky between Bourque and LL, DD needs to go, take Diaz with him. they get pushed off pucks by a stiff breeze.

• AliHaba says:

Bourque is definitely tradeworthy.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Unfortunately Fransaskois, the Habs shot themselm in the foot by signing Briere and Desharnais. When everyone’s healthy there’s no room for Leblanc at the moment? There’s no way possible to trade Desharnais or Briere.

I didn’t understand the Briere signing at the time, still struggle with it. Having said all that, he didn’t look sharp from day 1 of the reg. season, but appeared a bit better early in training camp.

I am going to try remain optimistic and assume he was injured in preseason and was trying to play through it. Ed had mentioned early on how recalled seeing Danny take a shot in the head and how from that game forward he was not the same.

Perhaps he had a minor concussion (I realize wrong term, not sure what else to call it) and was hoping to play through it. If indeed the case, and he does rest until 100% he is a clutch scorer, and if he finds that touch, even at the end of reg. season heading into playoffs he can be an asset.

It’s a frustrating scenario, but there could still be light at end of tunnel. Having said all that, you have to wonder about him coming back, he has had a few of these concussions and he probably needs to worry more about living a normal life after hockey.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I have a feeling there’s an outside chance Briere pulls a Chris Pronger and rides out the season and maybe his entire contract on the LTIR. I wish him the best and if he comes back I hope he lights it up.

• habcertain says:

it wouldn’t surprise me if he packed it in, I sense his concussions issues is something he wouldn’t gamble with.

• Un Canadien errant says:

So many things I don’t understand about that signing. Sure, if he’s healthy, which is universally agreed is a big ‘if’, he brings goals. But there are so many other stumbling blocks.

1) Why add a small quick player on a team that already has that angle covered? Some would say there was already a surplus of this type of player in today’s NHL.

2) If we roll the dice on him being healthy and chipping in twenty-five to thirty goals (minimum production necessary to justify his addition to the roster), fine, let’s have him as a one-year stopgap. But why the two years on the contract?

3) If we justify this as a way to acquire an asset for free, then why allow the No Trade Clause and turn that asset into a potential anchor? If we had the flexibility of trading him when the time was right there would be fewer objections to the contract.

38. twilighthours says:

Regarding the discussion of moderation, previous thread:

UCe, beauty post. I also agree that newbies need to earn some credibility. It’s way too easy to create an account only to troll.

With broader strokes, the Gazette can choose to moderate any posts it wants (discussions of censorship by a news organization be damned). But the Gazette is not moderating the posts – fellow posters are. And sometimes for unknown reasons. My wish: no anonymous moderators, and explanations when moderation occurs.

• knob says:

I agree. Sometimes comments get taken out of context.

• Habfan10912 says:

Not only do I wish I could write with the elegance and intelligence of UCE, I wish I could think like him. I could not agree with his post any more.

• Max_a_million says:

Couldn’t you have a positive negative rating like they do on ebay?

Then again some people will hate people for just having differing opinions, even if the discussion is harmless.

• Yup. Some posts merit deletion, but transparency in the decision-making process can only make this place better.

I can’t see the Gazette team actively troll-hunting though — both because of the time it would take a paid staffer to monitor the site more closely, and because trolls, like all of us, generate clicks that feed the site’s ad-based funding model. Trolls in particular help pay the bills, if they can lure enough of us into replying, re-replying, and madly refreshing the page in anticipation of the next opportunity to correct the fellow.

• Ron says:

It would be possible I would think for the “anonymous mods” to send an e-mail to our contact info to let one know why something gets booted. Sometimes posts that are free of language, personal insults etc get wiped. Mods do have access to be able to perform this type of action but need the site operators to ok such an activity.

• twilighthours says:

Or to just have a little star or icon (think flashing “mod” text) next to the user’s name. Then we all know who the mod is, and when someone gets booted, that mod can say “I booted the user because….”

If that were done, I could see a flame war starting everytime someone is modded, it would be a free for all of comments targeted at the mod. I don’t have an issue with how the mods operate presently, I do wish however, we knew which exact words cause our posts not to show up. Some of them are normal terms which on their own have no negative meaning.

• twilighthours says:

You’ll feel differently when you get modded for the first time, Burly!!

I’ve been modded Twi’ and I was out of line and deserved it.

• twilighthours says:

I’m sure you did! But if you didn’t feel like you deserved it, wouldn’t it be nice to see the face of your accuser?

I feel little sympathy for these troll-bots, but they should at least know who’s pulling the strings.

Not sure why, but the anonymous thing really doesn’t bother me.

• Luke says:

I’m not sure I agree with the concept of new posters needing to “earn credibility”. I’m not sure how you’d even quanitfy it.

Like joining any new social group, the new person decides on how they want to introduce themselves. Some come in banging a drum and some come in quietly neither of which is wrong.

The post count and age stamp on an account shouldn’t really criteria used to judge an opinion. I’m sure are some long time posters that others here feel they still need to earn credibility.

Just a simple drinking game Luke, just to find out how well they hold their booze is all. ;-)

• Luke says:

If that’s the case Burl, There’s a good chance I’m one of the most credible posters here!

• Just a Habs Fan says:

If the number of posts reflect a person’s eligibility to comment on something isn’t that kind of like defeating the whole purpose of having a forum to discuss. Surely there are dead-beat/juvenille posters on here…too many maybe….but boy if you apply the rule that you have to earn credibility by the number of posts you make…well in my opinion that’s a huge flaw. 500 poorly thought out post doesn’t add up to one decent post. I think if you post commonsense and well thought out opinions then your credibility will take care of itself. I know I have posted probably 10 times in 6-7 years or so since becoming a member…I already look for a few of the posters here and quickly scroll by many…..credible posters are interesting and give a person a different angle sometimes…UCE MRon are two of my favorrites…there are several others also. I don’t have to agree with their pitch but I enjoy reading their pitch. Just my thoughts on it. Oh forgot I always look for Timos posts.

• Habcouver says:

“Earn credibility” should not be warranted for this type of forum. New posters and old alike will have their opinions that are supported (or not) by other HIO readers. We choose to read and respond as we may; I believe if one has a reasonable and respectful view/response, the others will reciprocate accordingly.

If the poster chooses to post outrageous comments, we can simply choose to ignore them. Simple.
        I love this Site for gathering information that I do not know and reading how others express their passion for hockey.

Waiting patiently for #25

• twilighthours says:

That wasn’t UCe’s nor my point. How about this? You have credibility by default, but if you choose to troll, then you lose it and are booted.

Once you’ve established a healthy relationship here in the community,then a big rant can be excused (I’m thinking Maritime Ronn’s rant a few months ago).

• Propwash says:

There could always be a “report post” button, but that could be abused as well.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• habcertain says:

and pray tell, who would be deemed to be the credibility guru? this is a public forum, if you don’t like what one has to say, ignore it, censorship is never a good thing.

• Habcouver says:

Waiting patiently for #25

• Luke says:

Sort of agree.

“Censorship is never a good thing” I’m not agreeing 100% with you on…

• habcertain says:

I was putting in context to Twi’s original post, referencing another post about what is deemed acceptable banter. there appears to be a group that feels others are interfering with the “community” (as it is referred to), and I don’t believe this site is the place for that type of blogging, this is a public forum created to further the agenda of the Gazette, Facebook type sites, are better suited to those who want to develop communities, where membership is granted. imo

• twilighthours says:

You don’t feel that this site is/should be a community? I’d say about 200 summiteers would disagree with you.

• habcertain says:

I wasn’t the one complaining, you are, about the 100s of others in the original post about credibility. this site what you want to make of it, if its community; great, if not; great also. the whining about those who do not conform is misguided, just say’in it is a public domain.

• twilighthours says:

I re-read everything I wrote on this topic and couldn’t find the place where I was complaining.

• twilighthours says:

The credibility gurus are already determined: the anonymous moderators.

• habcertain says:

credibility and censorship are 2 different issues, you’ve just posted that if you have credibility, its ok to get away with an acceptable rant, makes no sense and applies different criteria, like NHL refs.

• twilighthours says:

Dude, all’s I’m sayin’ is that this place is better without idiot posts.

Most of the time, those get deleted (and sometimes sensible posts get deleted, too). The people in charge of deleting said posts have already been determined by the overseer of this web community.

I do not labour under the illusion that this website should represent some utopian censorship-free environment. To be honest, I don’t feel that any value is added to my life by being forced to read Jimmy09’s posts (or The Dude’s, etc).

So if moderating these posts is censorship then censor away, you crazy mods, you.

Reminder to all in Canada that TSN will be carrying the Habs/Stars game on the main network tonight. Not sure who the broadcast team will be.

40. Max_a_million says:

Funny at the beginning of last season there were a lot of Eller doubters. I haven’t read one comment this year questioning him. He is a clear second to Plekanek in terms of forwards and ice team. He is playing physical and putting up some points. After the playoff scariness too.

Super impressive from Eller. Interesting how we fans turn and turn about looking for whipping boys. Present company included.

41. Had to remove the videos from the facebook page but here is a new link for you all to enjoy. Needless to say Burly is faster than a the energizer bunny and that lady is HabfanLady16954. Bu the highlight is Front and yes he is a real boy! Lova you man!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Timo says:

Wow! This is NOT how I imagined Front. Nice to see you there, amigo. :)

Matty, you as well. Great to know what you look like.

And for a second I thought GrimJim looked like Jim (Laplante)

Cole was a beacon of light 2 seasons ago when there was virtually nothing to cheer for during that season. I understood the trade, as it seemed something was amiss with Cole, like the lockout killed his desire to play.

I wish him well, but really hope his Hab Killing days are behind him. As knob points out below, he always played big against us.

• Max_a_million says:

Even when Cole is off, he is checking people with ferocity and clearing space. When Briere or DD are off, you are left with nothing at all.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There was something going on with Cole and Habs management behind the scenes. He didn’t buy into what they were selling and they booted him out of town. Too bad.

• Timo says:

Ummmm… bacon!

• Luke says:

It was an awesome 1st season. Odd… That line had so much success, but the team floundered.

Also odd how Cole’s next season was such a polar opposite to his first, including the team’s success.

This season… 5 points, 1 goal, 11 games… – 3. Not much better… But, as said… he’s a Hab killer, those stats could jump up tonight.

A great return on a UFA signing, and a well timed trade.

Tonights prediction: Habs need 4 goals to win.

43. Luke says:

This marks the first time Cole will play in Montreal since before the lockout.

(Sly, winky, Emoticon…)

Did I read this right? Ruff will be one of assistant coaches in Sochi?! WTF is wrong with Hockey Canada?

45. Whoops, posted this to the end of the last thread.

XKCD comic relevant to our discussion: http://xkcd.com/386/

And on that note, an equally relevant quote from Mark Twain: “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” :)

46. TheDagger says:

Heh… good one Ruff.

47. Max_a_million says:

Amazing Bournival is getting minutes. He deserves them, but it’s odd for MT to be giving them to a rookie.

48. Bob_Sacamano says:

These polls are always so dumb, it hurts. Of course Leblanc can earn a regular spot this season. What a stupid question. Will he earn one? Probably not.

49. Max_a_million says:

I miss Erik Cole, a real power forward.