A more positive take on “striking” Price

Renaud Lavoie of RDS talked to The Franchise’s agent last night and Tweeted: Getting
closer but still work to do on the Carey Price contract talks. More
talks to come this week. Both sides hope to have a deal soon.

And this just in from the B.C. rodeo circuit. Hey, is all that riding going to stretch his five-hole?

• Arpon Basu looks into the salary cap crystal ball and wonders how hard it will be to re-sign Josh Gorges

Bill Guerin’s agent tells La Presse there have been no talks with the Canadiens

• James Mirtle’s updated free agent list – including you-know-who atop the RFAs

• Michael Farber on Chris Chelios, a “true original”:

In the summer of 1990, general manager Serge Savard was being
pressured by upper management to move Chelios because, well, in its
estimation, the defenseman was not exactly a choirboy off the ice. Denis Savard, whom the Canadiens had passed on a decade earlier to choose Doug Wickenheiser
No. 1 in the entry draft, was a local darling who seemed to have at
least some miles left on his undersized chassis. With an old-fashioned
Chelios-Savard straight-up swap all but set — a deal that favored the
Blackhawks given the relative ages of the players – Chicago coach/GM Mike Keenan called owner Bill Wirtz,
who doted on Savard, to inform him the deal was ready to go. Wirtz
didn’t want to make the trade, but finally relented, telling Keenan, “We
need to get more.”

And Chicago got it. Incredibly the Canadiens added a second-round draft pick to make the deal.

Damien Cox: The whole league is waiting to see what happens with the retooled Kovalchuk contract

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Chelios and the 80s, 90s guys were moved were already great for the most part. Chelios still holds a probably unbreakable 55 assist in his rookie season among the team’s own player records. Everyone praises Serge Savard for the 23rd and 24th Cups, but he significantly weakened the clubs with poor drafting after the mid 80s and a series of weak trades.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. sholi2000.com says:

Vokoun always comes to mind.

Can’t keep em all.

They Call Me Shane

3. madmat411 says:

I always thought personally, getting rid of Chelios was a bad idea..like our curse, people we trade away always turn out good! Go to the Canadiens website and SEE who were once habs, even for one game….I know when i looked, i couldn’t believe some of the guys we had, who became big name stars after trading them (tho i still think sergei will be an exception)

4. Seppo says:

IMO it’s an attempt from that guy from CBC to get some fame. Even CBC at least last night even reported that ”news” (well last night, i dont know if this morning they mentionned it anywhere).

my take on it in french : http://tinyurl.com/28pdrud

5. JD_ says:

Joke?

I’m 99% certain the Habs haven’t communicated with Whitney Houston’s agent, C.

6. derfab says:

I guess, since the habs invested so much in them, you don’t approve of deals like the Higgins, Ryder, Chipchura, Latendresse and Kostitsyn ones.

Manage my summum bonum.

7. Chorske says:

Funny. Funny.

To quote Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

8. Chorske says:

I LOLd, but to be nitpicky, the Whitney Houston joke works even better if you use someone whose name is kinda french but isn’t actually french at all, as in Selon nos excellentes excellentes sources, le Canadien n’a toujours pas approché Michael Bublé.

9. nunacanadien says:

In all fairness to Bob Gainey and Carey Price, but, wouldn’t it be funny if Price was Gainey’s titanic in the near future?  The goalie who couldn’t sink cause he was made outta steel forged in Hamilton…..funny in more ways than one….and Price’s not signing makes the same news as the Titanic….and Halak was the Iceberg…

10. punkster says:

The resemblance is striking.

FREE TIMO!

11. Chorske says:

How could you!

12. Caper says:

Agreed. That’s the thing about Savard he made some brutal trades but the Muller/Richer trade was a good one. One his first trades was Acton and Napier for Bobby Smith which was a decent trade as well.

13. punkster says:

That’s right, I completely forgot ;)

FREE TIMO!

14. Caper says:

Heard him as well. Hawerchuk without a doubt.

15. observer says:

for potential? — Yes -  Gainey and Gauthier are obsessed with Price’s “potential” that is why they kicked the 4th best goalie in the NHL, the best in the playoffs Halak out of here. AND now they are trying to nickel and dime the thoroughbred.

16. JD_ says:

Absent the trade’s genesis, you wouldn’t be here to opine on it, Andrew.

After Roy-Keane/Larry-Curly-Moe, I still see Chelios/Savard and Lemieux/Turgeon as neck-and-neck on the all-time WTF list.

17. 123456 says:

looks like one of my new york laws migrated north, sorry about that.

secret mod

18. Thomas Le Fan says:

Well, yes, and Chelios was wearing a golf outfit at the same time, IIRC. Players get injured. Are you saying that Savard had no effect on the outcome of the ’93 season because he was behind the bench at the end? He was not far off of a point a game that season before his injury, again IIRC.

19. avatar_58 says:

Wouldn’t that be the same as trading Markov when his tendon was sliced?

20. ooder says:

well at least your roads don’t resemble Baghdads’

——————

88 is the new 23

21. Mark C says:

If that was the case then only certified Scott Gomez haters would dislike his contract.

22. Chuck says:

I just had to have my Honda done, too. Granted, it’s a 2001, but some of the emissions were so low that they barely registered on the test. But at least the Government of Ontario kept me from spending that $35 on something frivolous… like groceries.

By the way, when you back up, do you call it a re-Versa?  :)

my not worth it method is very powerful

BlowHardHabits

24. Sheldon says:

Just adopt The System Ian and put the coaching on autopilot.

There are a ton of unsigned players left to offer a contract yet. Heck, I could ice a team that would make the play offs if I could pick up these guys.

Of coarse I would have to be behind the bench to make it all work.

Great list of UFA and RFA, thanks for putting it up.

26. RGM says:

As a player who isn’t on an entry-level contract and who isn’t over the age of 35, Carey cannot have “performance options” on his next contract.

CBA 101, folks.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

27. andrewberkshire says:

Hawerchuk had 89, 98, 96, and 86 point seasons the 4 years after the Chelios trade, and after that he was done. Probably would have been a better trade than Savard.

28. RGM says:

As I check and play around on capgeek.com I see that the $6.66M deal for Kovalchuk would put the Devils over the cap by just a shave under $3M so they will definitely have to move somebody. Depending on what kind of penalty, if any, the League imposes it could get really fun. Zubrus at $3.4M is a likely target to trade or bury in the minors but if the NHL imposes a financial cap penalty, well then you’re getting up into Arnott/Rolston/Elias territory unless they can dump a couple of smaller salaries in that range.

It still amazes me that after 5 years and all these supposed “capologists” that teams employ seemingly every team is in some form of salary cap hell.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

29. HABZ24 says:

3 million for potential? because his past performance wasnt outstanding consistantly enough. its been what? three years now how much longer do we wait for this guy to shine? not 3 mill thats for sure, no more then 1.75 with performance options.

30. habaddict_andy says:

True, if only his cap hit could be cut 2mn, or even 1.5mn would help.

31. The Cat says:

Aah Dale Hawerchuk, the greatest player Ive ever seen play in person, but at the time of that supposed trade, I think he was close to being damaged goods.

32. punkster says:

That search was called off again yesterday due to the impending arrival of a couple of hurricanes. Looks like they’re in for another 40+ years of futility.

FREE TIMO!

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Hawks also ran into the mini-Dynasty Penguins, Ron Francis, Jaromir Jagr, Mario Lemieux,  Kevin Stevens, Larry Murphy and a few more. Chelios and company tried, but honestly, they were good and screwed facing Lemieux in his prime.

It only runs 2nd to the Roy trade.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. andrewberkshire says:

One of the worst trades in the history of the franchise.

35. smiler2729 says:

I was listening to Chris Chelios on FAN590 yesterday afternoon and he was talking about the trade to Chicago. He said he was very upset leaving Montreal cuz he said he wanted to spend his whole career on Crescent, er, I mean on the Habs but was elated that it was his hometown of Chicago and added that Serge Savard told him it was either that deal for Denis Savard or another he had in place to Winnipeg for Dale Hawerchuk.

In 1992, would you have rathered having Dale Hawerchuk or Denis Savard for Chelly? Bottom line, the Habs won the Cup with Savard (mostly injured) and the Hawks lost a final with Chelios, so how do you grade that trade?

36. avatar_58 says:

I love the Cammy one. Shame it’s not 1920×1200 though. I also wish I could get it sans-calender, I love the art

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Drafting was pretty bad after 87 as well and between 1985 and 1993, the only thing Savard can hang his hat on the 1st round is “Montreal Canadiens select Saku Koivu”. Savard did not stuck the cupboard that well for Montreal, lot of garbage following 87 and he traded away one of his best picks ever in Claude Lemieux for nothing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hey guys, check out these awesome September wallpapers featuring Hal Gill and Michael Cammalleri.

39. Sheldon says:

According to a buddy of mine, Louis Leblanc would not sign with the Montreal Juniors until the coach promised to hand out a summer reading list to the other guys on the squad. Although the specific titles included is a closely guarded secret in the Q, the list evidently did include some graphic novels in French.

40. mrhabby says:

love to be a fly on the wall during those conversations.

41. Natrous says:

I’m in the same boat – a 4-cyl honda accord that needs to be certified every two years after having been driven for 4? What a cash grab – I wish I could charge the ministry for my time.

42. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

“Price on strike” is complete BS.

If he doesn’t sign under 3 M, then I would be surprised.

43. Natrous says:

One thing people haven’t mentioned about the Chelios trade is that he suffered a pretty significant knee injury towards the end of his time in Montreal (limiting him to 53 games in his last season as a Hab) and team doctors thought he was beyond repair.

Clearly they were wrong, but if you look at it in that sense, Savard was clearly trying to get something back for a young but injured defensive gem. Since hindsight is 20/20, it’s easy to say that it was a brutal trade, but at the time it wasn’t so easy.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Another joy of Ontario, apparently my 2008 Nissan Versa is a massive smog hazard and a danger to every other vehicle on the road, seems I need a safety and emissions test on my car to get before officially registering my vehicle in the province of Ontario.

How about I write in the margin “Car not manufactured in 1974 and since I probably had to brake a few times before I got here, pretty sure the brakes work.” and skip it?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. Mark C says:

Gomez is a fine player and worth a lot of money, just not $7.357M his contract is counting against the cap. Wasn’t trying to state he was underperforming as a player performance, just that his value is less than his cap number. I think pretty much every team in the league has a few players like this, it really isn’t a big deal cap dollars wise that Gomez is underperforming his contract.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Another classic :)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. madcap_habsfan says:

Speaking as somebody who had the misfortune of meeting him, he was a smug prick

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

48. avatar_58 says:

It’s not against the rules, it just doesn’t sit right is all.

49. avatar_58 says:

There is that of course, I hadn’t taken it into consideration. However I argue they could have simply dumped their entire 3rd 4th line first and replaced them with rookies. Or not who knows, I’m not the one holding the chequebook.

50. Mr-T says:

Empty space is a relative term to a human organ.

Support Carey Price       “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

51. JasonM says:

20 days till training camp!

52. habaddict_andy says:

Good play maker, he had the most assist in the team.  Good two way player.  Stating Gomez underperformed is an overstatement.  Yes he has that much cap hit.  But his wingers have more opportunity to put up points because of him.

53. JD_ says:

Best reference is to read the text of Bloch’s rulin’.

54. pic1983 says:

As always, an entertaining read JD!

55. habaddict_andy says:

“by butt” not Kim’s.  Sorry to ruin your fantasy.  ;)

56. SLONCOLD says:

u can only be on strike when you’re supposed to be working. still have some time to get this done

57. cautiousoptimist says:

That’s the thing though — those numbers are irrelevant.  The only number that matters is 6.7M or thereabouts, which is how much he’ll count against the cap each year.  I agree that they need to change the CBA, but there’s nothing wrong with this deal or the original one under the current rules, and the rules that actually exist are the only rules we should be judging them by.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  58. SLONCOLD says:

numbers game. maybe if they had it drop to 2mil a season they felt it was no different from the original contract, so the 3-4 mill at teh end was something the nhl liked? who knows we’ll find out by 5pm today

59. HabFanSince72 says:

Even better evidence of a slow news season: the Gazette’s Mike Boone posts two headlines implying that Carey Price is on strike, when it’s clear he isn’t.

Good old Gazoo.

60. SLONCOLD says:

what’s the big deal with paying him 3M anyways? He’s your future in regards to goaltending, so get it done already…

61. Chorske says:

Well, don’t say it to me, I’ve been calling Price signing for less than 3 since last year. ;)

62. JD_ says:

* No better evidence of a slow news season than La Presse’s Richard Labbe wastin’ 2,548 perfectly good keystrokes on a story lettin’ us know who the Habs have not talked to. Tomorrow’s breathless headline: “Le Canadien n’a pas approché Whitney Houston.”

* Chris Chelios peels Louis Leblanc’s onion, “For the past 27 years I’ve been a member of the NHL, and I’ve always told people I never took it for granted. I appreciated the opportunity and never took it for granted one day of my whole career. I knew how lucky I was and how fortunate I was to be in the NHL and how many people try to live their dream like I have.” Damn right.

* Sportsnet.ca’s Chris Nichols poses these questions in a piece on Loafs C-bearer, Dion Phaneuf, “Speaking of Kaberle, will the fact that he wasn’t dealt before his no-trade clause deadline kicked in hurt Phaneuf’s chances for offensive success this season? Or will Phaneuf’s presence negatively impact Kaberle’s output?” I think a better question would have been, “Speaking of Komisarek, does the fact Finger’s bloated contract will have him spending the season with the Marlies suggest Kessel won’t know Bozak’s mp3 playlist? Or will Giguere’s new goalie pads negatively impact Grabowski’s helmet?” Safe to say, the Sportsnet.ca’s editorial staff’s alertness level is not quite to the standard found in a nuclear missile silo.

* There’s a certain twisted logic behind the suggestion Kovalchuk’s greedy if he goes ahead and accepts the money the Devils are offerin’ him. If this is the notional value they place on purchasin’ his services, then so be it. Its Vanderbeek’s money and he can spend it as he sees fit. If anythin’, the way I look at it is Kovalchuk would be crazy to turn the cashola down. Even if you don’t agree with me, you can’t argue you’d rather be crazy than greedy.

* More from Chelios, albeit a few years ago, “That’s the most obscure place you could have it. Most players won’t go. I think he set up to discourage as many people as possible from going.” Not sure what Chelly was talkin’ about at the time, but I’m guessin’ it was the basement of Brian Burke’s home.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed™. In other news, on this date in 1985, a U.S.-French expedition located the wreckage of the Titanic on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, some 650 kms off the coast of Newfoundland. Several months later, Loafs GM Gerry McNamara would put the same crew under contract in an effort to locate the team’s Stanley Cup prospects, also believed to be lost on the ocean floor. The search continues.

63. TorontoHabsFan says:

Those brutal trades were, if I recall correctly, salary dump trades in the pre-salary cap, pre-Uncle George, pre-economic parity with the US era when Montreal was actually one of the struggling teams in the league.

64. habstrinifan says:

Oh yes I remember those goals especially… my lasting image of LeClair especially that goal from the left side of the crease. I figured then we had a star in the making… oh well!

65. pic1983 says:

I still maintain that this whole kovalchuk ordeal isn’t Lou.  Im positive it is ownership pressure.  This is so out of character for Lou, and also, his body language on the day they rejected the deal didnt seem like a guy who was surprised or disappointed.

66. BJ says:

Luongo for Price would be another Savard for Chelios. Give the kid a chance.

67. pic1983 says:

Well said.  Apparently, on the current deal, the devils will have to trim 3-5 million in payroll to be cap compliant.  Can you imagine how much payroll they will have to trim if the league imposes a cap penalty on them?!

Ive heard people say the devils will have to shed players like travis zajac, whos their best young center.  Not like they have any other trading chips.  No one is taking Elias $6 million salary, or zubrus’ $3.4 million.  Not to mention that in trading zajac, they would be making another team a heck of a lot better.  All this and we havent even gotten to zach parise who will surely be looking to more than double his current salary after this season!  I would pay Parise $7million/yr long before I would pay kovalchuk $7million/yr.

68. avatar_58 says:

I don’t understand half of those trades. It’s like they just randomly threw out players and grabbed whatever the first offer was. Didn’t matter how many points they brought, just toss em away and bring in a new face. It would be like trading Cammalleri for Versteeg, Gionta for Cooke…..just random stupid nonsense by a GM that was bored.

While losing Halak hurt at least we can say – hey finding money for 2 goalies is tough. They didn’t just throw him away randomly because they were bored one day. A tough choice is a tough choice, but there was ZERO reason to trade Chelios, Carbo, Muller et al. Sorry, there just wasn’t. All guys who loved the team and would have stayed as long as they were asked to. You know – the kinds of players we keep wishing we had – like Plekanecs and Markov?

Also it’s damn funny how some of the returns are french. Almost like what the hell – who cares if the trade makes sense so long as the return is a frenchman. Ugh. Reminds me of all the Vinny rumours, he’s not worth what was claimed. He just isn’t. If Vinny weren’t french many wouldn’t have given it a second thought.

69. joeybarrie says:

I just wanted to say I TOLD YOU SO, when he signs for under 3 million… I was busy yesterday and couldnt sign on…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

70. mrhabby says:

I remember those trades and salary dumps so well. i was left shaking my head many times .guys that wanted to stay and it seemed we just threw them away.. however , none of these come close to the Roy fiasco..that set the organization back 10 years at least and has to go down as one of the worst ever in hockey history.

71. Mr-T says:

You stated the committed differential for the 6 players to be 60% of the cap. What is that compared to Montreal, 60% to 50% for 6 players. That is in your view to be far less well-managed. Now to evaluate the six vs six players, in your opinion is there a small or large discrepancy there. Which team has the better value per dollar. Is a better group of prospects an financially cheaper one, therefore cost-effective or an inferior prospect as opposed to a good one. Since when have the Habs become a contender, surely you are not implying for the Stanley Cup or anything even close to that level. It is a act of futility to try to predict or envision the potential prosperity of a team based on the hypothesis of a predicted valuation of a player, that may or may not come to fruition.

Support Carey Price       “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

72. joeybarrie says:

A series of BAD CHOICES led to this team decline. Those bad choices included these players…

-CHRIS CHELIOS

-KIRK MULLER

-GUY CARBONNEAU

-ERIC DESJARDINS

-JOHN LECLAIR

-MATHIEU SCHNEIDER

-PATRICK ROY

-DENIS SAVARD

These players are among the best the NHL has ever seen. We simply did not get enough back for them. We replaced Chelios with Savard and then we ended up with nothing for him… Savard didn’t even help us with the Cup that year as he had a broken leg. Muller left for Turgeon and he had one GREAT season with us, but then was gone too and also for next to nothing. Almost 100 points, and they give us CORSON back. Carbo for Jim Montgomery???? Then after 5 games we released him… Desjardins and Leclair for Recchi… I like Mark Recchi, but this is one lopsided trade. I will say to this though, bad luck. Leclair had not done nearly as well in MTL as he proved to be. Schneider for Malakhov was a bust, as Schneider in my opinion is a much more valuable player. Really hurt us in the leadership part of our game too. I dont need to say anything about Patrick Roy. That was just pure stupidity.

Say what you will about Serge Savard. He made some good moves, and was fairly successful as a GM. But in the end he was in charge when we had some of our WORST trades. Then to make matters worse, we let Houle ruin the rest of our assets. Losing Recchi, Damphousse, and Turgeon for nothing.

To make the matter worse, our Drafting between 1994-2000 was pretty miserable getting lucky on Markov. Not a single first round draft pick playing for our team.

In the end I am happy that our current management as we are at least replacing our talent. Drafting seems to be going better, and it seems to me like we are back on the way up. In the last 6 years we have done pretty well and attracted a good number of career Canadiens. CANNOT WAIT FOR OCTOBER…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

73. pic1983 says:

Its almost as good as the rule where the play is ruled dead when the referee “intended” to blow the whistle and not when he actually blew it…Doesnt get much more grey than that!

74. StevieRay says:

Could be ” BC” boys… Just nice that they’re all so approachable a willing to get involved .