A Missed Opportunity, a Capital Revival, a Flameout in Calgary

From the NY Times Slap Shot blog:

The N.H.L. has slapped a three-game suspension
on Danny Briere
for this incident from the end of the
Flyers-Islanders game from Saturday night (below), a game in the last minute that had already been decided. Briere
high-sticked/suckered the Islanders’ Frans Nielsen on the faceoff,
whacking Neilsen in the head after they exchanged words before the puck
drop.

Briere received a major penalty for cross checking and a game
misconduct. He had a
conference call with the league disciplinarians
this morning and
that usually means a suspension is forthcoming.

“I sure hope not,” Briere told Tim
Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com
in his public defense on Sunday. “I
didn’t hit him and I didn’t hurt him.”

Well, he may not have hurt him, but he did hit him.

ymh_CrQyvR4

Briere added that Nielsen called him profane names and, “In the
face-off before he did the same thing to me. He came over with his
stick, had me in a head lock, so I didn’t know what he was doing, I just
wanted to keep my hands high and try to protect myself.”

A headlock is not a same thing as a crosscheck, but that’s not the
point. In this era of heightened awareness about the dangers of
concussions and blows to the head, what Briere did is a perfect example
of what the N.H.L. should punish more severely.

It didn’t. And the question is why. It’s hard to fathom that it was
because Briere is a star player while Nielsen is a defensive forward.
Perhaps because Nielsen wasn’t injured, the whack wasn’t worthy of
something stiffer?

The lack of an injury lessening the severity of a suspension has been
part of the supplementary discipline process for a long time. But
making the result more important than the intention contributes to an
environment in which players are less accountable for their actions. It
leads to the lack of respect so often decried by the players when an
incident turns out more serious than intended.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: A Missed Opportunity, a Capital Revival, a Flameout in Calgary

1. VJ says:

Yeah… He was doing it for Cancer awareness of some sort. I can’t remember which organization…

2. Matt_in_TO says:

I’m shocked he only got 3 games.  What a douche move.

- In Price We Trust

3. Chorske says:

Two things.

One, it’s ridiculous that the official making the original call on Briere is NOT the one who dropped the puck. That official is standing right there, and fails to see the slash, or kick Nielsen and/or Briere out of the circle, which would have defused the whole thing. I’ve seen Halpern and Pleks kicked from the circle for less. And how exactly does he not see that attempted beheading?

Two, Carcillo. Anyone physically resisting an official who is trying to clear the ice ought to be hit with ten games.

4. oshawahabsfan says:

For the Hockey Fights Cancer iniative. I caught the end of the story on Sportscentre but I know he was personally effected by breast cancer within his family so it really meant a lot for him to be able to sport the pads in a game

5. oshawahabsfan says:

The one time I would condone fighting: DiPietro clocking Briere with his pink blocker as a part of Hockey Fights Cancer

6. noelsroyce says:

What a cowardly act.

Shame on him.

7. fbkj says:

“I didn’t hit him”

when did briere turn into R Kelly?

8. Mike D says:

LOL. I think it was around the time he pee’d on the Habs and their fans when he chose to go to Philly over Montreal even though we offered him the same contract. Yeah yeah, higher taxes, more pressure, franco “star” scrutiny, blah blah blah. When you’re making over 7mil/year taxes should really factor into your decision. Any pro player from Montreal who (and I’m assuming here) grew up a Habs fan should jump at the chance to play for Les Glorieux, but this Dbag shunned us. I lost all the respect I had for Briere after that. In the end it worked out better for us though cuz I doubt we’d have Cammy or Gio if Fanny Briere had signed in Mtl and I’d much rather have skill guys who ALSO have a lot of heart instead of that classless bum.

“I didn’t hit him”….right. Someone should remind Fanny we live in a world with video replays and highlights packages. Dumba$$

- Honestly yours

9. Mats Naslund says:

Interesting: “Lance Hornby in The Toronto Sun reports that Coach Ron Wilson saw his scoring forwards playing too much on the perimeter and looking for the pretty goals, so he’s shaking up his lines and mixing his bottom six grinders in with his top six skill guys, looking for the ugly goals so things don’t get any uglier.”

Is Wilson taking the Jacques Martin approach? Or was that the Carbo move?

10. shootdapuck says:

Typical bush league from the leaders of bush league hockey!

Philly s nothing but a beer league team with newer equipment!

Late in a 6-1 game and Briere gets brave cuz he has the Philly goons Pronger Carcillo and Hartnell, to fight his battles and they have a 5 on 3 advantage!

Real tough guy! He was never that brave in Buffalo!

“I didn’t hit him”? What Kool Aid is he drinking or is it post concussion amnesia?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

11. JohnnyBEast says:

Thank goodness we never signed that guy. Just a terrible person, remember Price’s first career shut out, who was the guy that threw the game puck away. How do weasels like him get away with this shiit. And he wouldnt even spin the mitts with Rick afterwards. Just gross

12. MTLForever says:

Watched the ending of that game, i wanted dipietro to clock him.

13. Keith says:

Yeah, I’m glad the little puke didn’t want to sign with us. Best move the Habs didn’t make. He has absolutely NO honour and is a coward to boot. He should’ve gotten 5 games imho!

14. HabsProf says:

Two things:

1) It looked like Briere missed him (not sure of that).  That may be why Nielsen wasn’t severely injured.  Nevertheless, he clearly tried to hit him in the head.  It was blatant and deserved a lot more than 3 games.

2) Why nothing for Carcillo?  From what I could see (again, maybe I’m not seeing clearly), Carcillo speared/butt-ended Nielsen high in the back.  This guy has long been a (rhymes with trick) of epic proportions.  I’d love to see someone like the Boogie man in NY clean this guy’s clock.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!