A milestone year for Habs’ Bouillon

The first-place Canadiens enjoyed a day off Thursday following Wednesday’s 5-2 win over the Maple Leafs in Toronto, which gave defenceman Francis Bouillon a chance to reflect on one NHL milestone and look forward to another.

Bouillon played in his 500th game in a Canadiens uniform on Monday against the Ottawa Senators and next week the 37-year-old will play in his 700th NHL game.

Bouillon told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey that during the lockout he was worried he might never play another NHL game.

“I was really worried during the lockout,” Bouillon said this week. “I have a one-year contract and I thought that if they cancelled the season, I wouldn’t have an opportunity to show that I could play.”

The lockout was just the latest in a series of adversities Bouillon has had to overcome in his career.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Overcoming adversity nothing new for Habs’ Bouillon, by Pat Hickey

Accountability the biggest change with new-look Habs, by Stu Cowan

Carey Price visits celebrity chef Chuck Hughes on canadiens.com

Drouin in contention to be No. 1 pick at NHL entry draft, by Brenda Branswell

1. Sean Bonjovi says:

Test

italics

2. Habfan17 says:

Since Feaster messed up that offer sheet, maybe he will feel the need to make a trade. Maybe Bergevin could trade them Weber for Aliu. The flames just sent him back to Abbotsford. At 6’4″ and 230 lbs, he would be good on the 4th line right wing. He is still young and maybe Therrien can get him headed in the right direction. He did have 157 oints in 207 games in the OHL with 407pims. In AHL/ECHL he has 91 points in 195 games and 285 pims.

Habfan17

3. Buzz Lightbeer says:

When they call Toronto “the centre of the hockey universe”. I’m sure they mean a dark,empty and very cold microcosm of space that few care to see,or even give a damn about, swallow up all that is good and meaningful and spit it out into a parallel universe in the shape of goateed,bigoted old men with 1970′s motel curtains for suits.

4. mdp2011 says:

Looks like Kovalev is done in Florida.

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone else feel like there have been more 3-point games this season than usual?

Wonder if the ‘play for the tie’ problem that plagued OT is now an entire third-period problem…

6. Speaking of the silliness (down below) of ranking division leaders 1-3 regardless of their points, it just occurred to me that this may actually hurt bad teams.

Take Florida — a terrible -24 team that nonetheless finished 3rd last year because of this rule. Do they pick lower down in the draft because they finished higher int he standings? And I guess more teams have a crack at waiver pick-ups before them too?

• Phil C says:

Waivers priority is done by winning percentage at the time of the claim.

• Ah, that makes sense — thanks!

Unless I’m wrong though (entirely possible), Florida suffers come draft time because winning the division guaranteed them 3rd place. Would you know if that’s taken into account?

• Phil C says:

My understanding is draft order is based on points, not standings, while playoff teams are affected by how deep they go in the playoffs. That’s why Montreal ended up with the 27th pick in 2010 because they made it to the ECF. They had to trade up to 22nd to get Tinordi.

You are correct Phil, teams not making playoffs are seeded by point value, then playoff results sort teams the rest of the way with points determining difference between 1st round losers etc….

So no the placement of a team to 3rd because of being a divisional winner with less points does not hurt them.

• That makes a ton of sense — thank you!

• The Juice says:

Via Wikipedia:

“Starting in 2013 under the current CBA, all 14 non-playoff teams would have a chance to grab the first overall pick using the same weighting system format, which eliminates the rule where a team can only move up four positions in the draft.

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.”

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

7. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

On a side note, TSN looks bad for not having picked the O’Reilly waiver condition. Actually, the whole media looks bad. This basically means the whole hold-out was a joke. Without the threat of a match, O’Reilly had absolutely zero negotiating power to get more money.

• krob1000 says:

Brian O’Reilly was using his mind control techniques along smoke and mirrors to preoccupy everyone with everything but the real details!!!!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

You think the media looks bad, how about Feaster?

People here in Calgary are irate! They could’ve (would’ve) lost the guy on waivers had Colorado not matched!! And still lost their first and third rounder!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It has been 24/7 O’Reilly from the start of the season and NOBODY picked this up. These are people whose sole job is to know and use or report the rules. This is just amazing. An epic failure all around.

• Propwash says:

Weren’t the Habs going through a similar situation with Subban?

____________________
          DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• bleedhabs81 says:

RFA hold out, yes.

Possible Waiver Claim, no. PK would have had to play for another league while the NHL was playing.

• If I’m understanding it right, Subban hadn’t played in abroad after the lockout officially ended, so he wouldn’t have had to go through waivers.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Oh, absolutely. Just guess the egg is mostly on Feaster’s face as he was the one who actually sent him an offer sheet. Can you imagine they lost two high draft picks and didn’t get the player?

• mdp2011 says:

O’Reilly’s agent wasn’t aware of it either and he said that other teams who inquired about making an offer sheet presumably didn’t know either.

• The Jackal says:

If no one really knew about this, then I don’t know if this is even funny! Haha, can you believe that? GMs not knowing about a pretty significant provision. Still, just shows how basic the media is, can’t research at all.

I’m sceptical as to believing if GMs and agents were truly unaware of this, it seems like something that would be well-known in the league. Oh well, if this really did apply, then Calgary dodged a bullet.

• The agent may have had something to gain by pretending he didn’t know this, but the Colorado GM would have thrown this in the agent’s face had he known, to diminish O’Rielly’s bargaining power. If Feaster had known, he wouldn’t be looking silly today. : )

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ain’t it tempting to fold Our cards for the year and sell/trade-off Our Team’s assets for a chance at Drouin ? …imagine Gal27 and Drouin on the same line ? …mmmm

…would be sweet

9. Kfourn says:

I don’t know if it’s my Habs bias, but it seems to me that the Bruins have had quite a favourable schedule to start the season. Very well spaced games compared to the rest of the league.

Their back-to-back: Saturday 1pm vs. Tampa Bay; Sunday 7:30pm vs. Habs

The Habs back to back: Saturday 7pm vs. Pens; Sunday 7:30pm vs. the Bruins

I know this is the season of no excuses, but when you have fewer games played than the rest of the NHL and you have favourable back-to-backs there is something wrong.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Habshire says:

Since you brought it up here are the back to back totals:

Total back to back games

BOS 6
      NJD 10
      PHL 10
      STL 10
      CLB 11
      CHI 12
      DET 12

Total games played on 2nd game of back to back when opponent does not play the previous day.

PIT 2
      PHL 8
      CHI 9
      CLB 9
      SJS 9
      TOR 9
      DET 11

Total games played with with no game the previous day when opponent does play the previous day.

LAK 11
      CAR 3
      MTL 3
      OTT 3
      PHL 3
      TOR 2

• Trisomy 21 says:

Maybe this means the last portion of the season will be packed with games and they’ll burn themselves out?

• Propwash says:

It all gets made up later on down the road.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Whatever says:

I’ve mention it before, but my thinking is that Boston “somehow” got an advantage of easing into the compressed schedule after an extremely brief training camp. The advantage is rest, additional practice time and limiting the injury factor. Their schedule gets heavier when they are in mid-season peak form.

Still a very good team, but I always seem to smell a Jacobs.

10. Mattyleg says:

Hey, know what’s effed?
    I’ll tell you what’s effed:
    The way in which the standings are organized.
    Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, and Toronto, all in the same division, have more points than Pittsburgh in 2nd place in our Conference. Actually, Toronto is tied.

To whom does this make any sense??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Trisomy 21 says:

Could you clarify this for me?
      :D

• Matty’s (rightly) mocking a silly rule that automatically ranks division leaders 1st, 2nd and 3rd in a conference. So a lousy team — so long as they win their division because the other teams there are even lousier — is guaranteed at least 3rd place in the conference.

A good example is Florida last year. They finished 3rd in the East despite only having 94 points — ranked on points alone, they should have finished 6th. That team also had an abysmal -24 goal differential. But because the other teams in their division were so godawful (TB, WSH, WPG, CAR), they won the division.

A ridiculous system IMO.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Thanks CO, I was just giving Matty a hard time for an earlier conversation. Biggest point to emphasize the ridiculous system, although it doesn’t happen often, is when a third place team has less points than an ninth place team.

• Ah. : ) Yes, that would be brutal…. Has it happened?

• Trisomy 21 says:

I know I’ve seen it happen at points during the regular season, but I couldn’t say if the season has ever ended like that, to let that undeserving team into the playoffs.

• B says:

3rd place Carolina has 21 points, the same number of points as 9th place Philly. Out West, 9th and 10th place San Jose and Dallas have 22 points. Only 10 of 30 NHL teams have less points than 3rd place Carolina. Time to stop seeding the division leaders.

–Go Habs Go!–

• habs-fan-84 says:

It’s going to be pretty disgusting when a first place team in one of the divisions makes the playoffs with less points than one of the teams in the Northeast.

Absolute nonsense – similar to the idea of “every kid gets a ribbon”. Mickey Mouse.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Some years it looks really skewed, other years it makes a lot of sense.

What if you are playing in a tough division where you play 32 of your games. The teams beat the snot out of each other and end up with less points than a team who is sitting in a relatively easy division (two team division, basically). Should you not get the higher seed if you are playing bettter competition regularly?

• I agree it’s complicated, but you could make the opposite argument too: is it fair that Florida finishes 3rd in the East last for scoring tons of easy points against WSH, TB, CAR and WPG?

As it is, some divisions are stronger than others, and that isn’t fair. But compounding that unfairness with an equally unfair rule doesn’t address the problem IMO.

I wonder though — do we even need divisions?

• bleedhabs81 says:

I completely agree… it changes based on the year and quality of divisions.

Do we need divisions? I guess that depends on the math involved.

If we are to assume you play the western teams twice – 30 games (ir whatever the split will be once they flip teams around)

That leaves 52 games in your own conference. Without divisions, it means you should play each team 3.7 times. well, that won’t work.

So then you play each team 3 times – 3 x 14 is 42 and then play 10 other teams once more.

Depending on who you play those extra games, you might play against weaker oppenents. Without divisional seperation it makes it hard to justify easier schedules for certain teams.

11. If Kadri’s hat trick means he’s on track for the Hall of Fame, Eller’s #81 should be retired league-wide after his four-goal game last year.

• Sportfan says:

Are the leaf morons thinking he’s hall of fame worthy?

• Kfourn says:

Look at Chris1138′s post below, it has a link to the hilarious article.

_______________________________________________________

• Habilis says:

The parade is being planned and Kadri is going to win the MVP, the Selke, the Richard and the Art Ross. Oh, and the Conn Smyth. You didn’t know? ;)

• HabsFansince49 says:

I agree with your statement about Eller, but am flummoxed that you would include Mike Boone’s most stupid quote. If Boone believes that he needs serious counselling. Gainey should be remembered as a solid hockey player but a person who so helped mismanage the Habs organization, it requires the present GM to perform miracles to restore our dignity and make us a viable contender.

• Habsrule1 says:

The quote has nothing to do with Gainey’s success as a GM. It simply staes how Boone feels when around Gainey. Not many tougher sob’s out there.

I should probably let Boone explain, but that’s how I’ve always taken it.

Go Habs Go!!

• Yep, that’s my feeling too. That there is a man twice my age who could beat the tar out of me and my two best friends without spilling his beer. : )

• Boone’s quote is a comment not on Gainey’s GM performance, but on his character.

And anyway, he had some real blunders, but he did take his team to the conference finals one year, and finished 1st in the East in another. Gainey’s big mistake was that he believed all the talk about the new NHL: cracking down on the stickwork and physical play to allow smaller skilled players to excel. He gambled and lost, but his gamble wasn’t a dumb one.

Letting all those free agents walk away for nothing, now that’s another thing altogether…

• Habsrule1 says:

If they had managed a Cup Final that year, would Gainey’s legacy be a little different?

Go Habs Go!!

• That’s my thinking. : ) He built a really good team — just not quite good enough. Making it to the league’s final four has got to be a strong indicator that he did something right.

• Luke says:

Even without the Cup final, Gainey equalled the best Leaf season in the last 46years.

Think about that…

• Habsrule1 says:

If Kadri retires at the end of the season, the leafs will “honour” his number.

Go Habs Go!!

12. Stevie.Ray says:

Calgary is so lucky that Colorado matched. The new CBA states that if a player plays over seas and then returns to sign with a team that does not already own his rights, then he must clear waivers to be entered into the lineup (remember Nabakov). So, if Calgary would have gotten O’Reilly last night they would have given up a first and third round picks, and then would have had to place O’Reilly on waivers to be able to enter him into their lineup. Ofcourse somebody would claim O’Reilly and then Calgary would have gotten nothing and still would have had to give Colorado their picks.

• Sportfan says:

I saw that, it is unbelievable imagine if Colorado let him go. Calgary wouldn’t get anything in the end and Feaster would look like the biggest moron GM since Mike Milbury. Man people in Calgary must be steaming cause of the risk Feaster took.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think Calgary would have had no choice but to sit ROR for the rest of the season

• Trisomy 21 says:

I asked some friends of mine who are fans, it seems they’re so down on themselves they don’t care what happens as long as the Flames don’t suck so bad. As it was said earlier, HH needs to teach them the benefits of tanking.

I find a very different mentality towards the game here than in MTL, but I was pretty young in MTL maybe I’m wrong

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t believe that this is the case here. He played overseas when they were locked out and now he is not under contract. the rule about clearing waivers is applied when the player leaves to play overseas during a season and while under contract. I think! I may be wrong. I don’t think Feaster is that out to lunch.

Habfan17

• The Jackal says:

As someone mentioned here, I don’t think that rule applies in this case, as the player was not under contract and was not playing overseas while under contract during an NHL season, so I don’t think he would have to clear waivers.

Does anyone honestly think that a team’s GM would be unaware of this rule? That the GM does not have advisers and contract lawyers who would notify him of this?

What’s a real joke is that sportsnet published that story as if it was a cold hard fact, just shows how crappy our sports media is – we will watch anything hockey related, they don’t need to invest in quality.

13. Habsrule1 says:

Is having players in the pressbox a normal thing these days? I seem to remember in the past when there was an injury, a team would call someone up from the minors.
    That said, with Bourque, Nokelainen, Weber and Kaberle/Diaz all sitting, is there a possibility for a 3 for 2 trade or something to limit the amount of guys we have in the pressbox?
    Of course I’m speaking more to when the team is healthy.

Any ideas of trades that could happen that reflects this?

Go Habs Go!!

• It’s normal, but not for 0.5PPG defencemen making $4M+ per year. Kaberle’s a great insurance policy on a team with unexpectedly good D, but there have got to be cheaper bench-warmer options out there.

• habsnyc says:

A player on IR does not count for the 23 man roster. According to the Canadiens website, Bourque is now on IR. Diaz is not on IR. Nokelainen is no longer on IR.

Generally the team sends down players who are on two way contracts or playres who need ice time. But there is no savings in sending down Kaberle or Weber and neither would benefit greatly from time in the AHL.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habsrule1 says:

Thanks.
        I’m not suggesting they send anyone down. I’m wondering if they could trade 2 of them for 1 player to have fewer in the pressbox, and if need be, call someone up if there are injuries.

Go Habs Go!!

• habsnyc says:

Sure they could do that, but why would another team want two of those players? The team has 23 roster players and Bourque on IR. Of their roster players, one is injured and one has yet to play this season. If everyone is healthy, someone gets send to the AHL, waived or traded for a non roster player. If Montreal can package two players for one, that would alleviate having to waive or demote a player. But, it is tough to trade two healthy scratches in one move. Why would another gm want to add healthly scratches on one way deals to his roster?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habsrule1 says:

All good points.
            A healthy scratch on 1 team can be vauable to another though. If the Habs were fully healthy, I think they would have to scratch a decent player or 2. I’m not saying the return would be great, but there must be a market for Weber, or maybe White or whoever else would have to sit if Bourque was healthy.

I’m just trying to think if the Habs would be better off with assets or with healthy scratches. If it’s the former, is it too difficult these days to go to the farm instead of the pressbox when injuries occur.

I’m probably confusing everyone, myself included lol

Go Habs Go!!

14. mdp2011 says:

Apparently the Habs and Hawks put in a waiver claim on Tom Sestito.

• habs12 says:

is it confirmed that vancouver claimed him?

• Kfourn says:

Yes it’s confirmed by Dreger on Twitter

_______________________________________________________

• Mattyleg says:

Got a question re: waivers.

I heard that the lowest team gets the player.
      Is that in the current standings, or where they finished last year?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kfourn says:

Current standings

_______________________________________________________

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Damn! If the Habs weren’t in first place they could have got an enforcer… ;)

15. Whatever says:

Come to think of it. When did Gomez start playing for San Jose during their hot start to the season?

16. Whatever says:

Ryan Clowe is having a bad season. Zero goals, 6 assists, suspended a couple of games. All while heading into his UFA summer where teams have to be cap sensitive.

San Jose, after a hot start, are now sitting in 9th with a team that is supposed to be contending for a Cup that was supposed to be won by now.

Buy low???

We are a team that could supplement our roster just with his physical ability alone, while hoping he can pot 20 or so.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

San Jose will wait until the deadline to decide…why decide now if price is low? No matter what he does this year somebody will definitely give him a shot this summer…Bos, Phi, TO, etc.

17. savethepuck says:

Always like to catch up by reading all posts and being current so I don’t repeat anything when I come on here. Today took a lot longer than it should have just to catch up on everyone’s opinion of Ryan O’Reilly.
    Since everyone else has given an opinion, here’s mine;
    -I don’t have an opinion because I don’t watch him play
    -I can’t compare his stats to other players because he just turned 22 3 weeks ago.

Let us get back to talking about a team that’s been 1st in the East for going on 2 weeks now please.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

18. Phil C says:

So as soon as Bourque goes on IR, Nokelainen appears at practice. What a convenient coincidence to avoid putting someone on waivers. ;-)

• Hobie Hansen says:

The one thing Jack Martin did well a couple seasons ago was maintain his system with a lot of injuries.

If Nokelainen gets in the lineup, hopefully the team keeps rolling along and playing the tight defense they are now!

The system works good because when we hop on a turnover we’ve got some guys that are burying the puck!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“If Nokelainen gets in the lineup”…I’d be shocked given White’s play as the fourth line center. Should be dealt if possible…

• Phil C says:

I think Nokelainen has the speed and size to fit well into Therrien’s system. It will be a tough decision who goes when Bourque comes back, assuming no one else is injured.

Another benefit of Therrien’s system; they seem to be healthier (as you point out) – less shot blocking, less chasing dump-ins, more puck possession, rolling four lines and three defense pairings.

• Habfan17 says:

I believe that Nokelainen’s face off percentage is better than the other Habs centres so I would not be surprised if they made room for him and moved White to right wing.

Habfan17

19. Bripro says:

I just read below the comments regarding Pierre McGuire.
    Why this is re-hashed to start off with is perplexing.
    But, let me ask you this.
    Are you the same posters who were talking tragedy when MT was hired as the new head coach.
    There were several putting the two at equal level.
    And how has MT turned out so far?
    So many GMs on this site, it boggles the mind.

• Hobie Hansen says:

90% of people out there were super pissed that Therrien was hired, especially on this site. I was not one of them ;-).

Although, I was pushing for McGuire but I’ve heard an awful lot of him on Montreal and Ottawa radio and I am thrilled he didn’t get the job and Bergevin did.

• I was one of them. I was wrong. I don’t have to like the guy to admit that he’s doing an incredible job — way better than I thought he could. Good thing MB is making the decisions and not me.

• Whatever says:

GMs can do far more damage for a longer period of time than a coach.

• Habsrule1 says:

Good point Bri. I was very concerned when MT got the job, but figured we should see what he can do before we jump on him.
      I feel the same way about PM as GM. I, just like the rest of you, have no idea how he’d do, but I’m not about to bash him for doing a bad job before he even gets the job.

Unfortunately, others bash first and ask questions later.

Go Habs Go!!

20. myron.selby says:

I have to take my hat off to nunacanadien today. Most of the other trolls have retreated since the Habs just keep right on winning game after game. But not nuna – he just carries on telling us how they can’t possibly succeed for various reasons (including salt peter in beer) that I’m sure make sense to him.

So here’s to nuna, persevering in the face of adversity, never letting reality intrude on a good theory.

• ABHabsfan says:

That kind of persistence and blind devotion kinda reminds me of Leaf Nation, or the Branch Davidians

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

21. plum says:

I keep hearing about how ryan o’reilly is such a “character” player. I just wonder if his name had been ryan o’reillyov, would all the so-called hockey experts still be talking about his great character, after holding out so long for more money.

22. billylove says:

Can’t wait for the back to backs this w/e. Once again, we’ll see the Habs surprise those who think we’re not contenders. Maybe a pair of w’s will convince the non-believers! Think it’s not possible? Even without Borque and Diaz, we have a real shot at winning BOTH. Don’t be surprised if MT plays Price at home and Budaj in Beantown. Drop the puck!

23. krob1000 says:

Tsn link from two weeks ago about O”reilly…you want to know how he stacks up…read this…but be careful it may have been written in Neverland and the stats and facts may have been made up?
    Please lick on the “defensive value” and “consistently tough matchups” parts and you will get a sense for his body of work defensively.

24. commandant says:

If the Avs didn’t match, O’Reilly would have had to go on Waivers before he could join Flames. (Flames would have lost him, and also lost the picks).

What a dysfunctional organization in Calgary.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFanSince72 says:

HA HA.

Wouldn’t that have been hilarious?

• Chuck says:

The only way that could have been better would be if the Av’s were sitting below the Flames in the standings at the time he went on waivers; they could have claimed him back and kept the picks. :)

___________________________________________________

• Hobie Hansen says:

If that turns out to be 100% accurate I can just imagine the media in Calgary and the fan base calling for Feaster’s head, more than they are already.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Holy smokes…wow that’s incompetence…Feaster should be fired immediately before he does anything else stupid.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the Avs knew this, then their decision might have been more difficult. Calgary would not have improved so the probability of Calgary’s pick being top 4 would have been increased. The fallout from the bad decision would have started a downward spiral as well.

• bel33 says:

First thing I thought was “Is he doing this as a favour of some sort for the Avs?”. I mean like the Avs wouldn’t match the offer sheet. I saw it as some way to force O’Reilly back on the ice.

Of course it wasn’t… and this is even before you all explained the waiver thing… which is just plain stupid.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I would doubt the league would have allowed that. Wouldn’t they get a chance to review the situation and declare that it is unfair for one team to lose picks for nothing in return? (even though it would be technically allowed)

• Habilis says:

Interesting point. Does the league even have the power to do that? Remember, this wouldn’t have been a trade. I’m not sure if the league has to approve it.

Anyone?

• Habilis says:

Unreal! Thanks for the link, Commandant.

If Feaster lasts another month in Calgary, Ill be shocked. With Howson getting canned, Feaster is now the most incompetent GM in the league, bar none.

Imagine being a Flames fan and finding out that your GM almost put your team in a position of having zero picks in the first three rounds in exchange for a player who would never even play a game in Calgary. Wow.

• Wow. Ben, could he have just stayed out of the NHL til the offseason, and just joined Calgary then with no need to put him through waivers?

25. HAB - Have A Beer says:

Habs is my team but right now I would give the edge to the Bruins who’s the best all around. However the Habs will have to become pretty bad not to make the playoffs. They’re playing winning hockey right now. Show up every game like they did in Toronto and they’re gonna be hard to beat ….

26. Awesome: I just noticed that five of Canada’s seven teams are in playoff position right now. Downside: one of them is Toronto.

Off Topic, but I am in a bit of a nostalgic dog mood these days and think these old baseball cards with pictures of players with there dogs is pretty cool.

28. Chris1138 says:

Here’s a funny headline this morning:

Toronto Maple Leafs Nazem Kadri nets hat trick. Is he Hall-of-Fame bound?

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

• Loonie says:

Hilarious but at least he’s doing something to earn his reputation.

• Mattyleg says:

…he has a reputation…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yes, as a future Hall of Famer.

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!
            I love the concept of having a reputation for being something in the future!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• bleedhabs81 says:

@ Matyleg

Reminds me of when I was in University and you would meet people and ask what they were studying.

“I am pre-med” – so, you are a science student hoping to get into med-school. Good luck, you will need it. If you don’t make it you will be a lab rat or highschool teacher

“I am pre-law” – so you are an english/law major hoping to get into law school. Good luck, if you don’t make it you will have a degree that will allow you to….

says the engineer (obviously I am biased).

• HabFanSince72 says:

If not hall of fame, a raising of the number to the rafters ceremony at ACC 20 years from now. The bar for that is much lower than entry into the Hall.

• Mattyleg says:

Yes, he’ll join the higher echelons already populated by such greats as Tie Domi and Darcy Tucker.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

They are the biggest joke in sports aren’t they?

• Chuck says:

But Domi played 1000 games! Let’s hold a pre-game ceremony and ‘honour’ his jersey number!

___________________________________________________

29. rhino514 says:

Anybody hear anything regarding Bourque or Diaz? With Gallagher it was reported almost right away that he didn´t have any symptoms.
    Total silence about these tow which makes me think they may be out for a while…

30. Dr.Rex says:

Which trade is most likely to happen in the next 6 weeks?
    a) Weber to Oilers for 3rd rd pick
    b) Desharnais and Diaz to sharks for Clowe
    c) Kaberle to Leafs for Liles
    d) Eller to Blues for Chris Stewart
    e) Nokelainen to Tampa for conditional 7th rd pick

Will Jamie Benn get a hearing with Shanahan for this play last night?

• Kooch7800 says:

3 hits from behind in that game as well.

Benn better be careful cause he is trying to play with an edge but someone is going to fill him in real soon. I saw he scrapped thornton a few weeks back. He better be careful out there

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Totally agree, he has made the highlight reels quite a bit lately and most often for not such good reasons, IMO, based on the type of player he is.

• It’s filthy, but not nearly as dangerous as a lot of awful hits that get 2- or 3-game suspensions — or go unpunished altogether. If it were up to me, that’s a misconduct at the absolute most, not a suspension.

32. Dr.Rex says:

In the last 12 months which argument now seems the most ridiculous today?

a) McGuire is the best candidate for GM of the Habs
    b) Torts implying that the Habs were the boring team.
    c) Yakupov is by far the best player in the draft
    d) The Leafs had Reilly as the #1 player in the draft.
    e) Subban was going to be dealt instead of signing

McGuire is the best candidate for GM, sorry couldn’t keep typing that. To me would have set this franchise back years……

• Mattyleg says:

a) Was ALWAYS the most ridiculous.
      e) Was a close second.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

A tie between d and e

• Lafleurguy says:

Will watch what opinions come forward, but I have to say, “Can you put any more pressure on Morgan Reilly than there is already?” So he’s supposed to turn out better than Yakupov, Murray, Alex, and I forget who no. 4 was!

• Habsrule1 says:

b-e are all sorta ridiculous in some ways.

McGuire would have done ok, as much as folks on here can’t wrap their heads around that.

Go Habs Go!!

Paul, I always appreciate and read your posts, but my head will never wrap around that concept. I am sure I have all kinds of hidden bias for reasons, but I just can’t do it. CHeers bud!

• Dr.Rex says:

Maybe he is a big fan of peanuts.

• Habsrule1 says:

I just think McGuire gets a bad wrap. People still talk about the 1 or 2 bad ideas he’s had in the past 10 years, but somehow have never heard any of his good ideas.
          To be honest, I don’t know if he’d be a good GM, but he seems to know a lot about future, current and former players as well as the game itself.
          To be clear, I’m very happy with MB but don’t think McGuire would have been as bad as others think….but hell, I could be wrong!

Go Habs Go!!

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry brother but Molson picked a great GM in MB. I can’t see McQuire been given an honest shot until he actually works for a club and leaves broadcasting and earns his way up.

It is ok if you feel differently though. That is what makes the world go round

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree Kooch. I think McGuire hurts his chances by analyzing games instead of finding a job in the front office of an NHL team.
          Why would a team take him instead of an Assistant GM or Head Scout, for example?

Go Habs Go!!

• Sportfan says:

They are all pretty ridiculous frankly but I give it to A McGuire is a moron he thought trading PK for the E#Edmonton first pick would have been a great trade and would have done it, I am so happy Savard and Molson picked MB. E was pretty overboard to but I say A!

• Habsrule1 says:

This is what I’m talking about. McGuire never said that. I listen every day and he clarified saying he would not make the trade in Montreal’s place, but he would in Edmonton’s case. He said if the Habs wanted the pick, Edmonton should ask for Subban.

Haters gonna hate.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

a) Always ridiculous as Matty says.
      b) Not so much ridiculous as bitchy.
      c) He may well turn out to be.
      d) The Leafs traded up to pick Tyler Biggs remember? Anything is possible.
      e) Not ridiculous but probably incorrect.

33. Lafleurguy says:

I’m going to speak on behalf of all posters and state that Max Pacioretty is a better player than O’Reilly and Max is under contract for a longer term and a more cap-friendly figure (I think).
    Isn’t it “the Code” that Greg Sherman is supposed to challenge Jay Feaster to a fight in a barn anywhere of Feaster’s choosing with Sherman footing the rental cost?

“May you live in interesting times.”

34. Loonie says:

The sky is red even though it’s blue.
    Water is dry even though it’s wet.
    Day is night and night is day.

Such is the conversation about Ryan O’Reilly. The topic wherein the opinions run contrary to the facts.

Like a guy being fourth on his team in PK ice time/game being the #1 penalty killer.

The guy being matched up with opposing team’s top lines even though that’s clearly not the case given that he was fourth on the team in PK ice-time per game among forwards. If he were being matched against opposing team’s top lines, he would be #1.

Can’t he be a good young player who shows promise? I’m asking because that’s exactly what he is and he is certainly not the franchise cornerstone that people are against all logic and evidence claiming him to be.

I think for a more realistic perspective on what O’Reilly is as a hockey player in contrast to the “he’s a pk staple” and “franchise player” we should get Peter Pan and Tinkerbell’s opinion.

• Lafleurguy says:

There’s a poet hiding inside you TN!

• Mattyleg says:

I think he’d be better if he was a Francophone.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

wow Tom…I am sorry O ‘Reilly is making 5 million and is regarded by EVERYONE but you as a a top defensvie/two way center.
      There two pk units Tom….he is on one of them and is pised to tbe the first unit guy with Mcclement gone. You twisted that stat…he was 4th onthe team in time killing penalties..you then chose to make it pk time per game…where was the 4th forward…second center….that is a pk guy…
      He does match against top teams and many project him as a potential Selke guy…at 21 find me comparable assuming that role.
      His 55 points given that he is given the d role is very impressive.
      I hav enot seen anyone call him a “franchise player” …he is a “pk staple”,…that has been proven either way you twist the numbers they support that.
      Find me anegative opinion on O’Reilly somehwere

• Loonie says:

You are ignoring facts, like many others in making your evaluation.

I have never heard the word Selke and the name O’Reilly in the same sentence.

So long Captain Hook.

• krob1000 says:

Read my post out loud..and then you will have heard it.

• Loonie says:

Exactly. It’s a lonely opinion.

One that has no place in a realistic discussion about hockey. An opinion formed based on an evaluation of a player rife with hyperbole and delusional thought.

A blind man describing how something looks.

• Loonie says:

You are ignoring facts, like many others in making your evaluation.

I have never heard the word Selke and the name O’Reilly in the same sentence.

So long Captain Hook.

35. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Budaj will get a start in either game this weekend.
    I think he’s earned one,although if Habs lose game where he’s playing, he might not start another one for quite awhile.

• HABSsince92 says:

I’ve got a feeling that Budaj will start tomorrow against the Pens, he played well last week and I’m sure MT wants to keep him fresh so I see him starting tomorrow night as well as one of the Florida back to backs next weekend.

________________________________________________

PK please sign.

36. jedimyrmidon says:

On a semi-random note:

Some say that Toronto traded two #1 picks to Boston, and that it’s unfair to label the trade Seguin+Hamilton(+Knight) for Kessel. I mean, how could they have known it would end up like that?

Well, it’s the GM’s responsibility to predict what his team will be like and how good they really are, and thus it isn’t unfair to label the trade that way: the intention of the trade doesn’t matter, the outcome does.

One interesting thing about that trade, first of all Burke knew when he made the deal that Kessel was starting the year on the IR, as he was recovering from off season surgery (shoulder as I recall, could be wrong) therefore he would only get a partial season out of Kessel in order to help improve the team.

Secondly, if indeed you don’t add Kessel the team finishes even worse. So how does Burke make such a mistake in evaluating the talent that team had.

Biggest problem with that trade, was that Burke’s arrival bought the Leafs time to rebuild slowly and properly. He made a big mistake evaluating that team and tried to jumpstart the rebuild.

• HabFanSince72 says:

No you have to assess the value of a future pick based on its expected return on average. You can’t say that a first round pick is worth a Stamkos because it might turn into a Stamkos.

• jedimyrmidon says:

More than evaluating its value based on expected return on average, you have to evaluate its value based on where you predict your team will end up in the standings – a GM must do this otherwise you may end up paying far too much a price as was with the Kessel trade.

It’s the GM’s responsibility to be able to fairly assess his team and failure to do so means a failure to live up to what he was hired to do.

37. habs12 says:

nokelainen at practice per john lu.

38. commandant says:

Leading the league in points by a defenceman? Niklas Kronwall.

Max V examines if this could put him in the Norris conversation.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

39. habsfan0 says:

ANOTHER very important set of games for the Habs this weekend.
    Because the Eastern Conference standings are so jammed, they cannot afford the luxury of a losing streak.

Any word on Diaz and/or Bourque and when they might be returning to lineup?

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Rory McIlroy is not gritty.

41. Lafleurguy says:

Aaron Palushaj update: his 2 goals in 7 games with the Avalanche is one more than he scored with the Habs. Hope he has a Tom Pyatt type of surge in offence.

Damien Cox with his views on Feasters plan or lack thereof. Pretty bad when your organization gets compared to the Leafs of 4-5 years ago.

43. Phil C says:

I believe that size is less important for forwards in hockey. If a small forward is quick and smart enough to avoid contact, his size no longer becomes a big disadvantage. After watching Desharnais and Gallagher not only survive, but thrive against a big Toronto team playing a physical game, I am more convinced than ever. This is exactly the type of game in which the DD detractors said he would struggle. Quite the opposite occurred.

But I have always thought size is important playing defense. Longer reach, more mass to absorb the forecheck, ability to defend against both big and small forwards, etc; size is definitely an asset on the back end. Hal Gill is the living embodiment of this.

But the Habs defense are not big. Yet they have been playing so well, I am at odds as to whether or not it is a problem for them being a Cup contender. I wish they were bigger, but I am not sure which defenseman I would take out of the lineup at this point. Subban, Markov, and Emelin are practically untouchables. Bouillon is small, but also tough, strong and playing great, so it would take a really good defenseman to result in an upgrade. Diaz is a puck mover with some upside left and plays the PP, so I would hate to get rid of him yet before we know how good he could get. I don’t think he could be replaced without hurting the PP. That leaves Gorges, who is a heart and soul player who would be difficult to replace as well, but he does get punished at times, it’s amazing he is so resilient. One tough SOB.

So my question is do the Habs need to upgrade their D to be Cup contenders this year, or is this group good enough? Even though I wish they had one more big defender, I don’t think I would take anyone out of the line up right now, so I think I would stand pat unless there are injuries. Maybe one depth guy with size to replace Weber who can play certain games.

I believe the Defence does need to be upgraded, however, I suspect MB’s plan for that upgrade will have time as the impetus for change. Tinordi for Frankie B, Beaulieu for Markov would be two examples of this upgrade. If we want to be a contender this year, yes an upgrade is needed, but I don’t think there is any plan to change the D for this season, unless injuries necessitate it.

• commandant says:

The Habs aren’t contenders this year.

Long term, Bouillion due to age will be replaced, probably by Tinordi when he develops. This will add size and physicality to the back end.

A couple of tweaks up front, and continued growth by Subban, Patches, Galchenyuk, and Eller, and you will see this team become a Cup Contender.

As well as we are playing this is a year to build on. You don’t go from 15th in the conference to Stanley cup overnight, and this is a year to take a step forward, get to the playoffs, maybe win a round, give the kids like Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, playoff experience they don’t have, and move forward down the road.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Sportfan says:

Still would be really cool if we won the Cup this year because then it would feel like we won over night.

• Rugger says:

What does it take to “be a contender”? The Habs are in first nearly half way thru the season, They have lost only two games by more than a goal, give up very few shots, get multi-line scoring. If the Habs are not contenders who in the East is?

• Phil C says:

Why don’t you think they are contenders? They have beaten every team in the top 8 except Boston and had a third period lead against them. Some of those wins have been dominant, even the loss to Ottawa was a one-sided game in Montreal’s favour. They have arguably one of the best goalies in the East. They have one of the most balanced attacks in the East. They are in a position for a top 4 seeding, so they could get a favourable draw in the playoffs.

As for the Western teams, they don’t have to worry about them until the finals, and by then, anything can happen. Vancouver would have trounced Boston if Kesler and Hamhuis had been healthy.

I agree it might be a tad premature to be talking about playoffs, but if things continue the way they have been going, I think they could do some damage in the playoffs, especially if the could tweak their lineup.

• krob1000 says:

As far as I can tell there only 2 teams that really stand out as head and shoulders favourites…Boston and Chicago. Then it gets grey…..Anaheim is off to a great start but they too are a surprise like the Canadiens. IF Pitts is healthy they are a “contender”…but that means nothing anymore.
        The 8th place teams these days do this relatively often…..and if they don’t the next round it is possible too.
        Injuries, goaltenders,streaky scoring,style match ups, etc,etc, ….any team that makes the palyoffs is a contender. Look no further than last year.

44. krob1000 says:

Tom you said he was 9th on the team in pk time…where did you get that? not saying it is wrong but I just googled and found this and it does not agree…this is just a blog but the person looks to have researched it pretty extensivley…where did you get that he was not a pk guy and was 9th

• Loonie says:

Pk ice-time per game, which is the more accurate measure of his value to the special teams unit.

And he was ninth last season.

• krob1000 says:

he was 3rd in forwards using that…and 4th using toi and either way he is a top pker…you are counting dmen…he is a penalty killer and mcclement is gone…he was a top pk guy…

21 and a pk guy, matching against other teams top lines and scoring 55 points is damn impressive…consider he was in the running for the captaincy and everyone raves about him (never heard anything bad about him excpet that his father is a problem)….
        You are trying to compare dd and eller who are 2 and 4 years younger
        As an RFA I agree he was not worth 5…but once the option of losing him becomes a reality…you pay it …..reluctantly …but you just pay it….good decsion for Colorado.

45. krob1000 says:

Just for the record..O’Reilly put up those stats at age 21…is that accomplished on the PK and gets defensvie assignmetns at age 21…that is pretty impressive and being overlooked by many saying how many seasons he has played,etc. He is far younger than DD and even Eller is 2 years older too….O’Reilly is way further along than either.
    MIke Richards….put up 32 and 34 points and did not break out until 22 either.
    Most 2 way players do not have the season he did last year at his age…

• Loonie says:

This is the hilarious part of this whole O’Reilly discussion. You and admittedly many others including the media have referred to him as a staple on the PK.

He was 9th on their team in PK ice-time per game as a third year player.

Media members have mentioned he won’t hesitate to drop the gloves. Yet he has ZERO fights in three years at the NHL level.

Many have offered up the argument that he had sub-par linemates ala Eller.

Yet he played with Landeskog and Hejduk/Downie/Mueller/Olver last season.

Facts: He’s a very good two way player with the potential to be more. But the ceiling for him is where it gets funny in addition to his perceived value today. He’s being called a franchise player. That’s crap. The young guns in the NHL who produce great offense do so prior to their third year in the league. Also, the only thing that’s been great about his defensive ability has been his takeaways, which funny enough are a highly subjective statistics and vary from team to team around the league. He’s called a hitter, he has 115 hits in 167 games. That’s average. He’s been called a fighter but hasn’t fought. A PK dynamo who plays on the second unit sparingly.

He has been overvalued since his contract dispute started with rampant hyperbole and fallacy.

In my opinion you’ve fallen victim to it like many others.

• krob1000 says:

where is this stat you have that has him 9th on the tam? Bytheway anything to8 makes you a valualb epenalty killer as dmen will be considered as well and there are at least 2 pk units per pp? whoa re the top 8 and where are youg etting this…get me a link please

• Loonie says:

Edit: Again with the overvaluing. Big difference between valuable and “A Staple”.

This kind of hyperbole has lead to his alleged and not realistic value as a player.

I don’t pretend to know O’Reilly or how he plays, but those stats indicate he was the 2nd most used Center on the Avs last season in a Penalty Kill role. McClement was the first and is now in Toronto. I suspect O’Reilly quickly becomes number one centerman on the PK, based on basic logic.

• krob1000 says:

flip that to total toi…and he is 3rd for forwards, even using your measurin stick he is 4th amongst forwards..so playing on the top 2 pks and playing behind Mcclement whose biggest strength is his PK and is no longer there….4 forwards paly the pk….he is in the top 4….and misses by seconds in your stat and is 3rd in the other…as mentioned behind MCclement.

• Loonie says:

I agree that it’s likely he will become that guy. But he isn’t right now which again speaks to the wild inflation of his value today.

Galchenyuk will likely become a ppg player. But we aren’t paying him to be one now and aren’t calling him one of the league’s best players at this point in time. Thus the argument.

46. Sportfan says:

Well thats that http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417051
    Colorado match’s the contract and Calgary just looks silly, but they still have their picks!

47. habfan53 says:

With regards to re-alingment WHY do the players have a say?
    They are being well paid to PLAY. If it makes economic sense to the owners (not always the sharpest knife) plus less travel time and less expensive which means more money in the players pockets anyway.
    I can see them having a say with regards to rules, Fines and suspensions but not re-alignment

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

Boullion, Ryder, are back and should have never been dumped over board because of Carbo’s poor coaching. And now I hear rumblings of the return of Mr. S. Koivu as well.
    Mr. Bergevin has returned the classy style that was always Montreal.!!!

49. Habfan17 says:

I guess I will weigh in on the O’Reilly discussion. The way I see it, ther are way more missed identificiations of great players than there have been hits! Daigle was supposed to be a superstar, Bryan Fogarty was the next Bobby Orr! The majority of scouts and GM’s said they would have taken Wickenheiser before Savard. Theodore busrt into the league winning awards, and then turned out to be a middle of the pack goalie. Tyler Myers is having his problems ad hopefully in time will warrant the big contract he signed.

Ovechkin got HUGE money and term and look at him not, Yashin, Dipietro, the list goes on. Then there are players who as another poster put up big numbers or played great, when paired with other players and then could not duplicate them when they got big contracts and changed teams, Komisarek, Stewart, and Rob Brown for those of us that remember. I have met Mike Krushelnyski and he is a super guy, but would he have scored 50 if not playing alongside a guy by the name of Gretzky? Mike was a very solid and valuable 3rd line player.

O’Reilly might be a franchise player or he could end up levelling off and being a solid 2nd line centre. Someone compared him to Plaeks and his $5 million contract, however, Pleks did not get this money until he had a larger body of work to base that one. O’Reilly’s body of work is not enough to pay him what he got, in my opinion. I do not see him as being as skilled or having as much upside and future impact as Subban or Stamkos. If I were GM, I might have taken a risk at 2 years at $3.5 then $3.75 Million

Does anyone remember Jim Carey?. No not the actor comedian!

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

But you wanted to give them Eller, Desharnais, Kristo and a 2nd for him.

;)

• Habfan17 says:

Not Eller! DD and kristo yes, as the Habs are deep on the right side and they need to get bigger at centre. Also because the Avalanche were asking for a boat load of riches for him. I still would not pay him what the Flames offered! ;)

Habfan17

50. Say Ash says:

How far away are Diaz and Bourque from coming back?