A special night for HIO auction winner

Moishesweb

It was a night Habs fan Caroline Tardif will never forget.

Tardif was the winner of the five-day eBay auction through Hockey Inside/Out for a dinner at Montreal’s Moishes steakhouse with Canadiens players Colby Armstrong, Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges, Travis Moen, Carey Price and Brandon Prust. Tardif, who was joined by her partner Éric Legault, won the auction with a bid of $3,300.

Every penny of Tardif’s bid goes to The Gazette Christmas Fund, which helps put food on the tables and gifts under the holiday trees of less fortunate Montrealers.

“It sounds like an odd thing to say, but I was happy to see how really ‘normal’ all the guys were,” Tardif said about her dinner with the players. “They’re so down-to-earth and easy to talk to. They totally made us feel included and welcome, like we were part of their group, not two outsiders just looking in.

“The strangest thing was to sit with a group of guys you feel you know from their stats and having read about them, watched interviews and followed on Twitter, and they didn’t know Éric and me at all. They’re a wonderful group of guys and we’re absolutely thrilled to have gotten a chance to meet them.

“I’m also happy to think I may have contributed in helping less fortunate Montrealers enjoy a more pleasant holiday season. As for me, my Christmas sure came early this year and I’ve loved every second of it.”

As sports editor, I’d like to thank Dave Stubbs for his efforts in putting this event together, which started with an Oct. 11 challenge Dave threw out to Armstrong on Twitter — that he photograph himself and tweet the photo from an exhibition game that night in Quebec City — and grew into a special night for Tardif in aid of a great cause.

Thanks also to Gazette marketing director Nadia Orobello and marketing coordinator Amanda Di Rienzo for helping put the auction and the dinner together, to Moishes, and to Tardif for her generous bid which will help some needy Montrealers this holiday season. And a special thanks to the Habs players for taking part in the event and providing an unforgettable evening for a Habs fan while supporting a great cause.

You can read Dave’s column on the dinner by clicking here.

Learn more about The Gazette Christmas fund by clicking here.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

1. jedimyrmidon says:

Someone over at the HF boards tracks Galchenyuk’s icetime to be about 20min per game. Is this more or less than a typical top line in the OHL? I remember hearing that top lines often get doubleshifted and that the players get a lot more icetime in junior than in the pros, but 20min doesn’t seem like that much per game.

• He now has 32 points in 20 games. He’s way too good for the OHL. Can’t wait till he’s in a Habs uniform.

• 24 Cups says:

Lots of young players shoot the lights out in junior with seasons that are above the point per game average. Sadly, not all of them transfer that potential over to the NHL. I think that Galchenyuk needs to have that experience (and ice time) in order to re-establish his game and value as a top end pick.

Both Galchenyuk and Eller give the Habs a real chance at shoring up the centre ice position, a chronic problem that has lingered for close to two decades now. Possibly add Sean Monahan next summer and you’ve got a great dilemma on your hands (I am dead set against playing Galchenyuk on the wing).

• Chris says:

I don’t think there is any chance of Galchenyuk playing wing for any length of time in the NHL. He might spend a year there (like Tyler Seguin in Boston) while he learns the ropes and adjusts to NHL players’ speed and strength, but he will then get back to playing centre.

The Habs have a nice dilemma. They’ve got good size in three younger players that all project to the top-6 down the road (Eller, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty). Collberg gives them elite level speed and has great offensive potential.

I would like to see the Habs go fishing for a truly elite goal-scoring forward. I don’t need a point-per-game guy, but a guy who can consistently pot 30-40 goals is a missing ingredient.

I’m not sure that I agree that centre ice has been the problem that everybody makes it out to be. Koivu and Plekanec were excellent centres that can match up against the best in the NHL. The problem in both cases was that they did not have the wingers to compete; Koivu spent most of his career with guys like Michael Ryder (a second/third liner in Boston), Richard Zednik (a second/third liner everywhere else), Martin Rucinsky, Oleg Petrov, Mark Recchi, Brian Savage and Chris Higgins. Of that list, only Mark Recchi could legitimately be considered a true top-line winger.

Habs fans have for years had this irrational size complex at centre ice, but I don’t think that is the elephant in the room. Montreal has not had a consistently elite goal-scoring forward since Vincent Dampousse and Mark Recchi.

From 1980-1990, Montreal got 30 goals or more in a season from Mark Napier (3 times), Mario Tremblay (3 times), Shutt (3 times), Naslund (twice), Smith (twice), Richer (twice), Acton, Mondou, Dahlin, Lemieux and Corson.

From 1990-2000, Montreal got 30 goals or more from Damphousse (3 times), Bellows (twice), Recchi (twice), Muller (twice), Richer, Lebeau and Turgeon.

From 2000 to the present, Montreal has got 30 goals or more from Ryder (twice), Zednik, Kovalev, Pacioretty and Cole.

Basically, you have to go back to the early 1990′s when the team had Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, Corson and Lebeau as forwards to find a Montreal team that was offensively gifted. The 2007-08 Habs were anomalously high scoring, partially because the team didn’t suffer any major injuries and partially because they all had career seasons.

Pacioretty’s progress makes me hopeful, as does Cole’s play (although losing a year at this point of his career is awful for Cole). But Montreal **DESPERATELY** needs more guys that can consistently score goals. With guys who can convert the scoring chances set up by shifty centres like Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk, when he arrives, I think the current crop of centres will be perfectly adequate so long as they all focus on their two-way game.

• Chris says:

Ten years ago, Corey Locke had 63 goals and 151 points in 66 OHL games for the Ottawa 67s under a very good coach, Brian Kilrea. He was also way too good for the OHL. Unfortunately, that did not mean that he was good enough for the NHL.

I don’t think we’ll have that problem with Galchenyuk, but I think the sentiment that he is too good for the OHL is overblown. I think this season will be great for him: he gets a chance to build his confidence dominating that league.

Look back to the last lockout. The 2004 draft was terrible, but many of the famous class of 2003 draft were forced to play a year in the AHL which they probably would not have done otherwise. I think that that year spent in a league that they could develop confidence while becoming dominant top-6 forwards was part of what led to those players generally being so successful at the NHL level so quickly.

2. HabFab says:

SpectorsHockey So, #NHLCBA talks lasted an hour today, no progress made, both sides blaming the other. Same as it ever was. Letting the days go by…
    Guess we’ve reached the stare down portion of our little pissing contest called #NHLCBA talks.
    A deal is there to be made, but both sides are more interested in “winning” than in getting something done to their mutual benefit. #NHLCBA
    I honestly don’t care who’s at fault here. I just want this stupid, pointless, ridiculous #NHL lockout to end. What a bunch of morons.
    Fehr doesn’t see a path to an agreement. Daly doesn’t know where to go. Oh, I’ve got a great suggestion where both sides can go.

• Habilis says:

Agreed. I’m done caring because it’s obvious that these guys have no intention of getting a deal done anytime soon. Too much posturing, too much puffing out of the chests, no foresight on either side.

It remains astonishing to me that the owners and the players of this league -a league which was in 4th place of the 4 major sports BEFORE they decided to cancel games- can be so blind to the future ramifications of their actions. I truly wonder if any single one of them cares about the sport anymore.

• JF says:

Likewise. I’m so sick of the whole thing I can’t even bother reading about it any more. And a season that begins later than the beginning of December will not really feel meaningful. I still think they’ll get it done in time, but they’ll wait until the last possible moment – 21 November or thereabouts.

Meanwhile, there are the junior leagues to watch and the occasional Bulldog game. But what I’m really enjoying are the “classic” games shown on CBC and RDS. The last couple of weeks RDS has been showing the 1987 Canada Cup – absolutely spectacular games where the emphasis was on speed and skill rather than on blocking shots and finishing your checks. Next week they’re showing some games from the Habs-Nordiques rivalry. Watching these games beats the agony and disappointment I went through last year watching the Habs.

Perhaps we should hold an auction to have dinner with HabFab, Fehr and Bettman. THen the winner can watch Habfab literally show those two where they can go.

You tell ‘em Frank! :)

3. commandant says:

Collberg with a goal this morning playing in the Four Nations with the Swedish Junior Team I profiled today.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

4. frontenac1 says:

That’s a nice story on a very emotional day.