A huge win for the Canadiens

394796-carey-price-attrape-rondelle-vol

On a wacky night in the NHL – check that Winnipeg-Philadelphia summary – the Canadiens win the first of six games against their bitter Northeast rivals.
The loss dropped the Stanley Cup champions into last place in the division.
And it elevated your Montreal Canadiens to the dizzying heights of 12th in the Eastern Conference.

Habs show gritty side

Cole finds comfort level

Julien: “I get nightmares thinking about how we’re playing right now”

Price tops Ladouceur report card

Quotes from combatants Subban, Marchand

And in case you missed it, the Ilya Bryzgalov scrum is a classic:

1. ClaytonM says:

Whoever is the brains behind the polls, you’re failing. Why are there only 2 answers to the question: Do you think GM Pierre Gauthier’s decision to fire assistant coach Perry Pearn was justified?

How about C: I’m not aware of all the facts, can’t make an informed answer, so I DON’T KNOW.

Not the first time either. I had to chuckle to the question last week – Why do the Habs suck right now? Management, coaching, players? No option to choose “They don’t suck, they’re just snakebit and have run into some hot goalies early on.”

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

2. Michael says:

Idea for tomorrow’s poll:

“Did you remember to take your Seroquel last night?”

3. Mike11 says:

Habs need to get tougher:
    in the 50’s Bouchard and Richard et al took care of business
    in the 60’s Fergy – did not allow anybody to mess with the players
    in the 70’s they beat the Broad Street Bullies at their own game
    in the 80’s Knuckles Nilan had no fear
    In the 90’s and 2000’s no one comes to mind other than LaRaque
    Habs are a soft team and need someone to step up to stop the intimidation: Georges and PK cannot do it.
    Eller needs to bulk up: he has all the attributes but is not forceful enough: even Beliveau in his rookie year had to fight a few fellas to get some space and respect. Look at what Pete Mahovlich accomplished after he did not back down.
    I like the two new aquisitions.
    Diaz is very fast and plays smart and the D is formidable. Gotta get Emelyn back on the ice – he plays hard and mean
    Gotta get PK back on the PP
    Gomez is not worth the money – a 3rd or 4th line player at best not a top 6: 7 goals for 7 million last year is a disaster and a waste of $$
    AK AK AK – get involved – you always seem to be on the periphery of the action
    Habs will be fighting for a playoff spot come the spring: Leafs are playing hungry, have people not afraid to mix it up and I think will leave the Habs chasing them (I hate to say that)

Mikee

4. The Pickle says:

Wow, I put the phone down for a bit to actually work for a change, and I come back to find Pearned to be tearing up HIO. I tried to trademark it in the first post, but alas I can’t make the little symbol on my phone

5. krob1000 says:

I think people here are underestimating Deharnais and Eller when discussing Gomez’s future. Sure they may not be ready right now although both have looked good when given two solid wingers..not one plus Moen)…but they were rookies last year….by next year one of them will easily be able to play between two top tier wingers and we happen to have an abundance of them which also helps the centers. I liked the combo with Cammi and Cole with Desharnais…Cole gives them some room to find space as he is awesome in the corners and can absolutely fly! Andrei k, Cammi, Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty…..that is about as good of a 5 winger group as there is out there IMO.

Eller can play wing too if another center were to become availablbe…like for instance Zach Parise! Can you imagine that lineup?? We should start lobbying for Zach right now!!! Parise and a Parade! Parise and a Parade!!
    Fans should start bringing signs to the games when the Devils come to town….heck even when they don’t…let’s start a movement to land Parise!!
    For now when Gomez comes back I would use him on every pk possible and in a third line role and move Eller back tot he wing as much as I know he thrives up the middle. But that gives us a dynamic 6 wingers with some size also but Gomez should be logging heavy pk minutes and dessy should get the top wingers at even strength and get the pp time IMO. This cuold do wonders for Pleks if he was the second unit guy as that unit usually has a less difficult job as it usually means the puck is deep in the other end if the pk was able to change so the opposition does not even likely have us in our end yet.

• patience is a virtue says:

Lots of interesting ideas as usual krob. I agree about our wingers – an exciting bunch. We are in for a lot more goal scoring than we have seen in some time, if they can stay healthy!

I also agree that DD and Eller are not quite ready but will be sometime this season or next. In the meantime, Gomez has some rope left to hang himself, or bounce back, with. I expect to see him at #2 with Gio and Patches upon his return.

DD may be scoring more points, but I think Eller is showing more upside on the ice. His puck protection, passing/play making and face offs are all showing regular flashes of brilliance that we only caught glimpses of last season. I expect him and DD to alternate at 3rd line C, with DD getting the PP time and Eller getting the PK time, once Gomez is back. Unless one of them can really step up their face off performance, in which case Nokia might get bumped to the wing or the press box and we’d really see 4 lines rolling…

Parise? Well, we can dream, can’t we?

• HardHabits says:

I see no place for Gomez in the line-up, at least not for now. The game, IMO, has passed him by.

Who knows though? The problem wasn’t Gomez at any rate. Too much confusion and not enough enthusiasm on the back-end was corrected by replacing Pearn with Ladouceur.

However. I think the new focus on fore-checking, especially sending two players in has changed the dynamic of the team as well. It could be that Gomez’ play could see an amelioration when he returns. That is provided that JM and the Habs don’t return to their old trapping ways and the infamous 0-1-4 fore check.

• shiram says:

What’s frustrating to me, is that Gomez still seems to have the tools to be a decent skater out there, but something in him just does not click. He was playing ok in his first 6 games, but you gotta expect more out your top 6 centers.
        Rather they play the kids than him.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

6. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hopefully the play of Eller and DD gives Gomer a bit of a scare. He played terribly last year, but his position was never in question. Now, with the strong development of these two, he’s going to have to really fight for his minutes (one would hope).

Haha. It didn’t take too long but it looks like the latest edition of habsr got his account banned.

Imagine if the Habs hadn’t let Grobovksi and SergeiK go!!

They could’ve had the Grabs two Tits line.

9. Fun game! Typifiying the love between the Bruins and Habs; Subban and Marchand engage in hostilities…

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I was torn between taking Eller or Desharnais in my pool. Took Lars. Curses!

Kyle Turris = mismanaged or overhyped?

11. Grallis says:

Send Gomez to the Hammer, eat his salary, and find some help with the $7 million cap space left ( ahh what a dream that was) or trade him to Phoenix for Kyle Turris….LOL! ( I just don’t want to wake up)

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• mrhabby says:

i think its the biggest issue facing the club..down the middlle is very suspect. habs like other teams have not been able to get the big francshise player to fill that centre position.

• Grallis says:

I agree, but outside of a healthy Pitt team and maybe the Caps, who doesn’t have issues down the middle. My only point is; it took an injury to Gomez ( nice guy not his fault that someone gave him the contract, hey would you turn it down? And if anyone would I’ll call them a liar.) to allow a player like Desharnais to show what he is capable of producing as a top line centre. Same as Lars, since Scotty has been hurt I think the team has looked and played at much higher level.

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yes, because the other time we acquired a top 5 pick who was struggling to reach his potential, it worked out really well….

12. mrhabby says:

lots of talk about gomez…try him on 3/4 line and keep him there. i can just see him going back on the 1st line cause thats what the coach will do…”he is a veteran needs to be on the top line.”

• t1tan5 says:

The most probable move I can imagine is DD moving to the wing.

• Grallis says:

I am hoping that the PG & JM , have come to the same conclusion that I have…haven’t even noticed that he’s not playing…sad but true.

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• savethepuck says:

He was starting to get 3rd line minutes before he got injured. He definitely won’t be on the 4th line, we’ve got 3 grinders on there now and we’ll have a mix of 4 to choose from when White comes back. I’m thinking Lars will move to the wing when Gomez returns because he is a better option than DD due to his size.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• patience is a virtue says:

Correct. Plus, Gom hasn’t hung himself yet this season. Let’s see him back with Gio and Patches for a bit. Notice the captain is a bit lost without his Gomer. And we know the two of them click with Max.

These past two outings have been a great opportunity for DD and Eller to prove themselves. They are developing for sure. But I wouldn’t say they are ready yet, or that Gomez’s absence has been the key to victory. I actually don’t notice much difference in the game the Habs are playing – they are outshooting and outchancing their opponents, just like they were during most of the games they lost but could have easily won (i.e. Toronto, Florida, Buffalo, Colorado).

• Marcusman says:

MaxP and DD play extremely well together…I say put put the Captain, Gomez and Cammy all on the same line. Give them 20 games of 1st line ice time…if we have a losing record after that trade all three.

I still cannot get over Ilya Bryzgalov’s comments. Is Mike Richards laughing in LA right now?

• shiram says:

Reminded me of Pleks playing like a girl comments.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• savethepuck says:

I took it as him manning up like Carey does after a bad game. I think doing it gains respect from your team mates. I’d be surprised if Carey didn’t say something in the room about that stinker in the 1st period for the boys to rally around him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

14. t1tan5 says:

So what’s the plan when Gomez is healthy? Where will he fit in the line-up?

15. Habsssssssswin says:

Great game !!!
    Only downside ….That P.K. didn’t get the K.O. punch..
    Marchand is an obnoxious little puke…
    Saturday night sweep !! ..

16. CHimbote says:

EMELIN need play !!!!!!!!!

Play EMELIN saturday JM that our Dmen are soft.

Waiting EMELIN chance with MARKOV like mentor and translator …

17. joshua94k says:

The Montreal Canadiens have played back to back games against two tough team, the Bruins and Flyers. Those teams are hard to beat because they have toughness, size and can intimidate their opponent.

The Canadiens have beaten both these teams because they are rolling out four lines that are battling hard and using their skating and speed effectively. Their team defense is playing better each game. Spacek blocked many shots last night and was very dependable. Diaz showed improvement. Gill was steady and tough to beat. Weber, Subban and Gorges played their usual strong game.

In back to back games the Canadiens may have saved a season. But injuries nonetheless, the team played with a defense group that had 3 players with less than a season experience in the NHL level before Spacek came back. Subban has only played one full season. They also have several forwards with less than a year’s experience in the NHL. That took its toll.

However the biggest problem for this team is their taking more penalties than their opponents. They have to work on this. A 7 -3 powerplay advantage for the Leafs, a 6-1 powerplay advantage for the Bruins. It is hard to play your game when you are constantly short-handed.

It would also help if the officiating would be steady. Last night it seemed the Bruins were angels with no penalties called against them during the latter half of the game. The same thing happened with the Panthers game.

Once the Habs start to play with fewer penalties against them they will be hard to beat.

Yet, even as the Canadiens lose key personnel, as they get pushed closer to the brink, they seem to somehow grow stronger. – Scott Burnside ESPN

• shiram says:

About penalties, Subban needs to stop looking at the refs pleadingly every time he is hit, refs usually do not respond postively to that kind of behaviour.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, that kinda bugs me too.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ClaytonM says:

Is he looking at them pleadingly, or asking them to do their job?

The start of the Subban / Marchand parade to the box was ridiculous. Subban gets jumped from behind and has Marchand all over him, but they give offsetting minors? Joke

Thornton gave PK a solid hit while the puck bounced around, then came back in seconds later and stuck his legs out on PK, hence the look to the refs, but no call. I wouldn’t mind the non-calls against Boston, but when you see the weak-ass calls made against Montreal, it pisses me off.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

• Habfan10912 says:

Josh I agree with everything you write except what you wrote concerning Gill. He looked awful and slow.

@jimlaplante

18. Danno says:

On the link in my previous post, this caught my eye.

“Inexpensive Selena Gomez tickets are still readily available for the forthcoming concert at Bell Centre in Montreal, QC on Sunday 10/30/2011.”

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time the words “Gomez” and “inexpensive” have ever appeared together in the same sentence on this blog.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Future and Gomez is one until the end of his contract.

So, after that reality sinks in, where is the best spot to use him. ?? I think he must center the 3rd or 4th line. And he will do a great job there.

• shiram says:

Meh.
      I’d still rather have Eller and DD centering 2nd and 3rd.
      Gomez is no 4th line center, and Nokia’s been doing good.
      There’s no more space on the Habs for Gomez I say.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• NightRyder says:

He must be Pearned. And I don’t think he could do a great job anywhere. Unless you consider $7.5M zero-goal men useful. The best spot to use him would be the spot he’s currently in. Or give the fans in Hammy Beach a chance to admire his pretty, pointless rushes.

The sooner we are rid of him, the better.

• krob1000 says:

I disagree……I think the chances of Gomez being with us after this season are slim to none. He becomes tradeable after this season and even at deadline to a cap floor team or a team loking to bolster their run and flip him in the offseason. 4.7 million real dollars still means something! Factor in that DD and Eller look capable of being a 2-3 punch and that Eller can also move to wing if a better opportunity upt he middle presents itself…it is all but over for Gomez after this year. IF…and this is an if I don’t hope to see…we are out of the playoff picture he is gone at deadline. Iw ould be willing to give odds that Gomez is not with us next year….

• Ian Cobb says:

Do you think there is a GM out there that would take him with his now in place contract? No! So he stays on the roster and gets paid or he goes home and gets paid the same.

• krob1000 says:

Over the next two years his real salary is 4.7 million dollars less than his cap hit…to teams financially struggling that would do wonders. There is also the hope he returns to a 50 point guy out of the microscope…..someone will take him…they always do much to my surprise horrible contracts get dealt…this one has a huge bonus to the tune of nearly 5 million bucks….. I don;t think we’ll get much ..but the cap room alone is enough and the cap hit is reason enough for someone else to take him.

There will also likely be the brief buyout period too after the collective bargaining agreement expires

• mrhabby says:

and who do we find as a replacement. its the same old story, the habs are terribly weak down the middle.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Ian, your not thinking about this correctly. He is not going to get paid 7.5M next year although his cap hit will be. Therefore, a team can spend 4.7M but get credit for 7.5M cap hit (or whatever, I didn’t look at his contract). This is attractive to teams that need to get to the minimum.

It is like getting 40% off something at walmart… the product sucks, but your still getting a good deal.

• Danno says:

Too bad Gainey didn’t buy Gomez at Wal-Mart because it’s very easy to return defective items there and get your money back.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• DEANDALLEY says:

Yes, If Bob Gainey went to another team!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Gomez would be a good mascot.

• krob1000 says:

He could help the Mystery, Alaska team beat the Rangers if they wandered up there to play an exhibition game for some strange reason…that would make a cool movie wouldn’t it?

• nunacanadien says:

Why do we still support Gauthier and Martin, the duo who sold us on Gomez to begin with? Get rid of Gomez, Gauthier and Martin and the team we have will be champions!

20. Danno says:

Adoring fans will get a chance to see Gomez play Oct 30th

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

21. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Cole has been our hardest working forward this season.

22. Mutt says:

The genius of Price, “I kind of Bucknered it” comment, is that it aptly describes what happened while at the same time picking the scab off an old Boston wound… nice

Evander Kane denies he wants out of Wpg. (wait till December when it warms up a bit there and he has to walk from Taxi stand to the arena)

24. V says:

Loved the Subban fight. Another shining example of how pointless fighting is.

25. Mattyleg says:

Just got that 403 Error message.
    It’s annoying.

I’m glad we won, it was a great game, got the ol’ heart a-pumpin’, couldn’t sleep for hours afterwards. Great fun.

I didn’t see a definite difference in our approach to the game, except for the fact that we were playing with more confidence and cohesion, and we didn’t have to keep changing things to make them work.
    Once again, the 1st period was a bit messy, but we were able to pull together later, which was nice to see.

Also good was the effort right to the end, and everyone chipping in to do their bit, from forwards feeding each other breakout passes, to D-men covering for Pricey. That’s the kind of everyone’s-got-each-other’s-back play that brings a team together.

Oh, and in the “Some People Are Never Happy” column, came on here last night for a bit of feel-goodery and the first thing I saw was a regular poster’s comment: “Yet another one win game for the SYSTEM” I shut my computer off and kept smiling.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. lavie says:

Habs’ enforcer was born last night: PPPKKKKK Suuuuubbannnnnn! :) :) :)

• Mattyleg says:

Enforcer?
      Whaaaaa?
      Neither of them landed a punch.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ClaytonM says:

Even though I give the decision to Subban because of how he manhandled Marchand in the wrestling portion of the scrap, his hand-eye coordination on those punches was terrible. He looked like he learned all his boxing skills from Nintendo Wii.

Can’t the Habs hire Nilan as a “consultant” or something? We’ve got a few alumni they could ask to show the kids a trick or two. Mario Roberge? Mike Keane?

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

27. NightRyder says:

How long until Gomez comes back and gums up the works? He should be *Pearned as well.

(*I don’t know who deserves credit for that, but I’m stealing it)

• Mattyleg says:

Ha! I love it: You’ve been Pearrrrrrned!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• NightRyder says:

PEARNED: To be unceremoniously dumped, whether a situation was your fault or not.

Potential uses: “Boy, we really nead to Pearn that piece of dung Gomez.”
        “Man, this roster could use a good Pearning.”
        “How can we keep that guy around? I wished he’d just get Pearned.”

Pearning is especially helpful for listless GMs looking to appease a rabid fanbase and media looking for blood after an extended period of poor play.

Suggestion to HI/O for next poll question.

Should the Montreal Canadiens have Alexei Emelin in the lineup Saturday night agains the Boston Bruins? Da or Nyet

29. The Pickle says:

I want Emelin in the lineup over Diaz. Diaz has played well, there are some things he does very well, but he’s too similar to Weber. It’s Diaz’s first year, let him be the 7th D and draw in every few games to rest Spacek.

And for crying out loud, trade Darche for a 12th rounder already, this guy is not an NHLer. I know he works hard. I could work real hard at spinal surgery, but the guy is still going to die on the table. Keep him til White gets back, then politely Pearn him.

DD will stay with Cammy and Cole when Gomez comes back, or he should. His energy and tenacity is exactly what Cammy and Cole needed to get their game going.

The same thing is said for the trio of Plekanics, Patches & Gionta. They should stay together, by the middle of the year they will become one of the best lines in the NHL.

Gomez who I still like for his speed and ability to carry the puck will be a real asset on the third line with AK and Moen, or even on the 4th line.

Eller who is going to be a real force in this league can center and float from the 3rd to 4th line inter changing with Gomez.

The one thing that is bothering me the most is having Pleks on the point on the power play, it takes far to much out of his regular shift playing PP.& PK, .

Just saying!

I had a great sleep last night! The train is back on the tracks it appears. Now if we can keep it heading in the correct direction, we will enjoy the ride.

We held Boston scoreless for the whole game, rather impressive with the amount of undisciplined penalties that we took and how often we iced the puck foolishly.

Price was the difference, even if he teamed up with Plekanics to give Boston their only goal.

New guy #15 (Noke…….??) was very useful on face offs in our end.

32. shiram says:

I was looking to see if DD could keep a decent % on faceoffs on the road, and he did, good on him, his extra efforts might make up for his physical shortcomings. Only Pleks was below 50% at 9-20.
    Still puzzled at Cammy and Gio on the penalty kill, but it worked.

Edit : had to add what a stupid useless boring fight Subban/bRat had yesterday

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• showey47 says:

I went back about 25 games when cammy played for calgary and in that entire time he played a grand total of about 1 minute of PK time. He would play between 2 and 7 minutes on the PP/game obviously depending on how many pp’s they had but never played on the pk. But thats when he got 39 goals and 82 points,thats called using a player to his strengths. Not trying to use a player in a role that he isn’t cut out for. That’s one of the many things that irritate me about JM.

• shiram says:

At least Nokia/Moen/Eller got a good 3 minutes SH time, but I feel Darche should take on more of the PK time.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• 24 Cups says:

Showey – I agree about Cammy. He sucks in his own end. Killing penalties should be Gomez’s first job once he returns. He shouldn’t get an automatic pass back onto one of the top two lines. He plays in the bottom six and earns his stripes.

• shiram says:

But, there’s a clog at center when he comes back, same thing with White.
          How do you use DD, Eller, Gomez, Nokia and White, if they manage to all be healthy at the same time?

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

White is listed as a Center, but plays most of his shifts in NHL especially as a winger. He wont be centering lines unless he can be a stud in faceoff circle.

• shiram says:

So whom of Eller, DD or Gomez plays wing? I would not play Eller on the wing, he needs to get experience playing tough center minutes.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

@Shiram despite last years experiment where Eller didn’t look so good on wing, earlier this year he had some strong games at wing, I suspect he will be the odd man out from Center. Someone earlier suggested Eller/GOmez/AK may be interesting.

• shiram says:

It’s not so much that Elle cannot do good at wing, I’m sure he can, but I’m looking forward and I see this kid being our second line center, behind Pleks. At least that’s the hope.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

Any chance Cammy goes in to JM’s office at some point (offseason or whenever) and says hey coach I want to be a penalty killer and help this team. I recall about 2 seasons ago Crosby did this very thing with Bylsma. No I am not comparing Cammy to Crosby, but is Cammy trying to be a leader? If so JM should have responsed with no, I want to save all your energy for Powerplay and 5 on 5 play where we struggle. But JM loves his veterans.

• G-Man says:

Eller will be the odd center out. Don’t kid yourself; teams do not sit 7 million dollar players.

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• 24 Cups says:

Subban made a dumb play when he got into that fight. We lost our best Dman fo rnine minutes which then only left us with five guys, none of which can hold a candle to Subban.

On the other hand, you sometimes just have to put a guy in his place. That’s why this team needs to have one forward and one defenseman why can take a REGULAR shift while still keeping the other team honest.

• V says:

Not sure how that would have prevented the Subban fight. They were just going to fight with one another – neither one would fight with the other teams ‘fighter’.

• 24 Cups says:

Agreed. I’m not talking about a fighter, that’s why I capitalized the word regular. We need a few guys who play with a real edge so that teams like Boston, Philly, Toronto and the Islanders won’t take liberties with our star players. That’s why Buffalo went out and draft guys like Myers, Kassian and Foligno.

• shiram says:

Subban has great heart, tons of energy and he is very strong for his size, but he clearly showed why he should not be fighting.
        Marchand is alot smaller than Subban, and at best I’d say they had a draw.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

+10

• Ian Cobb says:

Wrong place.

33. mike3131 says:

The Caps had an 8 game losing streak last year but they won the East. They could’ve just as well started 0-8 and win the conference. Just because we had a rough start doesn’t necessarily mean we should miss the playoffs or tank the year. It seems that we’ve turned things around (although I still believe JM or PG should be fired at some point) and there’s still lots of hockey left to be played and with reports that Markov might be returning in November, there’s no reason why we can’t battle for home ice in the playoffs.

34. The Pickle says:

The refs were awful last night, the only thing they did well was they were able to judge when the Bruins dove, which happened quite frequently. Kelly in particular when tangled up with Cole, and Boychuk scored an 8.2 when Desharnais half hooked him with 1 hand on his stick. And they have the gall to call the Habs divers…

• showey47 says:

Blows my mind how the officials could make so many soft calls against the habs in the first then let the bruins do pretty much whatever they wanted to do in the 3rd. That kelly dive was a real piece of work wasn’t it? lol.

35. showey47 says:

I asked this question late last night on another thread. Does anybody know if pleky is the first player in nhl history to score a goal on both goalies in the same game?

• RGM says:

He’s not even the first Habs player to do it. Craig Ludwig once had a “hat trick” against the Blackhawks; unfortunately, two of them were deflections past Patrick Roy.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

JT’s line of the night:

“If I don’t stroke out during a Habs/Bruins game, it’s never gonna happen.”

So true!

37. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Here’s an argument for keeping JM as head coach, despite all his shortcomings: Stability.

Having a head coach in place for a few years is beneficial for the organization as a whole. I once heard the Atlanta Braves successive string of success was partly due to having Bobby Cox serve as Manager for ump-teen years. The players and rookies in their system knew what the skipper expected from them, so when the rookies got called up they were already equipped with the required tools and tactic.
    Similarly, I would argue that Buffalo and Nashville, with Ruff and Trotz respectively coaching their teams for decades it seems, organizations continue to bring up prospects that seamlessly contribute to the team’s success without much fanfare.
    Therefore, love or hate him, keeping JM as head coach is, IMO, more beneficial to the long-term success of the organization than having a revolving door of new, young minds that may be successful for a half season/season, total collapse and repeat.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Stability is JM’s biggest accomplishment and also the fact that he fields a very competitive team in the playoffs. However, I don’t like his personnel decisions and inability to adapt to various personalities. We can’t continue to ship guys out for next to nothing. Hopefully, this will be his last year although the team might be waiting for Boucher whose contract is up after next year, I believe. I wonder if GB is becoming accustomed to life in Florida, or if he would like to get back home?

• nunacanadien says:

JM is a nasty Nun, who breaks Subban’s fingers for showing initiative, who craps on Laraques for wanting to fight and getting penalties and chases the enforcer out of town. In JM’s world, getting a penatly is a crime, especially if it breaks the formula come up by Gainey, let Price stop all the shots and win the game by one goal, the only goal. A bit of a rigid system in a fluid style of play and with a collection of very talented players give you what we had, a team getting hurt early in the season, a team losing to Boston once they figured us out. Flexibility is key.

• JF says:

Ever since Guy Boucher was hired by Tampa, we’ve been assuming that he’d be back some day. While I’d love him to coach the Habs, I don’t see any grounds for this assumption. How do we even know he wants to come back? How do we know he wouldn’t rather live in the sun and do his job out of the limelight (comparatively) than face the daily pressure that comes of coaching or playing in Montreal? As I said, I’d love him back, but at the same time I hope the Habs have their eye on another candidate to succeed Jacques Martin.

• 24 Cups says:

VM – You make a valid point. The other side of the coin is that even though Martin is an experienced coach, he also has to be open minded enough to display some flexibility and innovativeness. The game of hockey is very fluid these days and Martin has to adapt. He can stick to his core values and beliefs (in terms of the game as a whole) but he might also find it beneficial to show his players that he can listen and accommodate change when needed.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

24 Cups and Old Bald Bird,
        I concur with your assessments of JM personnel and coaching decisions, perhaps the best case scenario would be for JM to serve up his contract and then hire a Guy Boucher type, strong communicator/motivator with a more flexible in-game plan, but must remain strict with his/her overall approach to the game to maintain consistency throughout the ranks.

_______________________________
        Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

38. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Don’t know what to think anymore. The speed and pressure from the last two nights is the key. If that’s the idea JM’s been pushing and the players are now getting it, great. If the coaching “change” brought it on that’s great too.

Speed and pressure, make them make mistakes in their own end. I don’t even care if we control the puck in the offensive end of the rink, just be quick to the puck and make the other guy make bad mistakes.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

39. Marc10 says:

Yep. The Habs played a solid road game and they beat a good team that plays physical… and they did it with a D corp that’s more about the first pass and the finesse than laying guys out. Big props for sure…

I agree with our man in Burlington – we’re winning without Gomez. There’s something to it. I don’t know that’s Scotty’s been a liability this year (unlike last year), but he’s been ice cold and so has Captain G. With Blunden and Nokia out there, there’s more size and I like the fact DD, Pleks and Eller are benefiting from the extra ice time. It’s having a positive effect. The Habs are a harder team to play against.

As much as I was hoping the Gomer was going to bounce back this year playing with Max and the Cap, I think we’re better off without him and it’s high time we shipped him off to Hamilton. At the very least, I would hope the Habs do what the Flyers did when Briere was injured and send him down for a conditioning stint so he can get some kind of timing back… But yeah, my preference would be to bury him as Eller and DD have taken his spot and we don’t need another small forward.

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you’re fighting… he’s the biggest man I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t want to fight him.

Achilles: That’s why no one will remember your name.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I’d be interested to see what we could get for Gionta too. We have a history of trading our captains, and as much as we appreciate his heart, I think his contract is as questionable as Gomez’s. He gets decent goal totals, but I can’t remember too many timely goals coming off his stick since he’s been here.

I can’t believe I typed this, it’s like telling your girl you’re done with her. I’m full of anxiety and excitement, but more relieved I finally said it than anything. I will now hide in the corner and prepare to be slapped.

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

While I am happy to have people agree with me, my scenario gives Gomez one more chance.

40. mike3131 says:

I missed the game :( But I heard we played really well. Heard about the beachball price let in – but the guys overcame it as a team and won. That takes character – kudos to them. Not to mention the fact that Price was a brickwall after that and kept us in the game. I’ve read some comments this morning about the PK-Rat fight and I was preparing to see PK get his @$$ handed to him when I went to see it on youtube. I think he did OK but I guess we all could’ve expected PK to dismantle Marchand’s already dismantled face.

41. Turgeon77 says:

Great win last night.

Everyone’s talking about how we’ve been winning since Pearn’s gone. Truth is, we’ve been winning without Gomez.
    Nothing against him personally, but he’s got no leadership, an enormous salary, and he’s out there gobbling minutes while being so predictable because he has no shot whatsoever. He’s got speed and he can carry the puck, but when opposing goalies see him coming, they just look for the pass- he can barely hit an empty net from the blueline.
    Without him in the lineup, Habs seem more focused, hungrier, and more dangerous. Gionta, Pleks, and Pac line was so much better last night than any Gomez/Gio combo. And Cole is looking like da man.
    Can’t wait for Saturday.

42. RH says:

Anyone that wears a Goons jersey is a piece of crap!! Brad Marchand and that nitwit Thornton are at the top of that crap heap. This little tilt between my man Subban and that little twit Marchand goes back to last year when twitface called Subban a disgrace for, allegedly, diving to draw a penalty. Meanwhile, dumbass Marchand is crosschecking people in the back of the head and diving like he’d been shot when the guy retaliates, ( I think it was Versteeg in last years playoffs).
    I’m disappointed that no one on the team stood up for my man Subban like numnuts Thornton did for his teammate. I mean, why weren’t the Habs players running Marchand the way Thornton was cheapshotting Subban in the third?

That concludes my rant for the day.

Lars Eller rocks!

43. G-Man says:

Need the win on Saturday to drown out all the “I still hate JM crowd” here, but it’s sweet to have 2 wins in 24 hours against the so-called “Beasts of the East.” Price’s Buckner observation was hysterical, and his play was sensational afterwards.
    Cole has taken the team in hand and they have followed. 2 dominant games in a row and more in the pipeline. The clouds are parting, and THE STREAK™ has begun. :)

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

• J_P says:

Ummmm I disliked JM since the day he was hired, and nothing short of a stanley cup would ever change my mind.

We have talent, not hard to put it together and string together a few wins. It will take a lot more than another win on saturday night for me to give JM any credit. Truth of the matter is, its a coaches job to prepare his team for the season, and this team wasnt prepared. We’ll only know by seasons end if those missed points come back to haunt us.

JM was probably a decent stop-gap measure to coach a team who was completely comprised of new parts, but I am fairly positive that he isnt the coach that will lead the habs to the promised land.

• TommyB says:

I’ve been thinking long and hard on how to answer this post of yours because I know how you feel. It gets quite tiring. The same thing over and over. I feel that way about the Gomez bashing, but I see that Gomez bashing is okay with you.

I said the other day that I have become exactly the type of poster that I hate on here, due to my stance on Martin. I don’t like to be that kind of poster, but let me tell you this much: Let’s say the Habs have turned the corner. Let’s even go so far as to say they go on to be a top team by the end of the year. It won’t make a difference to me in regards to my feelings about JM. The image in my mind now of Martin is that he is no longer in charge. The whole hockey world was shaking their heads and asking WTF when Gauthier fired Martin’s right hand assistant. It’s bizarre. So in what looks to be an effort to save his good friend’s job, what Gauthier has actually done is emasculate him. It appears he’s given increased responsibility to Cunneyworth and Ladouceur to insulate Jacques Martin. Regardless of how the remainder of the season goes, I will look at Martin as not really the guy in charge. I also think that eventually JM is going to step aside completely. It may very well happen before the end of this season, but I’d be very surprised if he is still the head coach to start next year.

44. TommyB says:

Very happy to see the Habs pull out the win last night, even sweeter that it was on the road and in Boston. Also a gritty effort, however we cannot expect the Habs to play that game every night. They are not built for it. More injuries are likely to be the result. But they did what they had to do last night and weathered the goon storm. Lots of plus things to point to in that victory, the main one to me being that it was a total team effort.

PK: You are not a fighter. I will give Subban full marks for being willing to go, even though Marchand wiggled out of it twice before PK finally cornered him and left him no choice but to drop his gloves and save face on home ice. But I think PK did not fare too well in that fight. Oh sure, you could call it a draw. Maybe some Habs fans would call it a win. Not me though. PK doesn’t look like he knows how to fight, at least not in that one. I’ll admit that both were just hanging on to each other trying to go the distance, but PK kept looking at the officials more than looking at the face he was trying to pummel, and in hockeyspeak that is a request to break it up. Marchand is a little worm, and PK couldn’t get a hand free to throw a good punch. If he would have, I think it would have been lights out for Marchand. I think PK should concentrate on playing hockey, which he does anyway, but next time he has to fight somebody maybe he should forgo the dramatics of the gesturing, posturing, and equipment shedding. Just grab the s.o.b. and start wailing on him.

Don’t like the way today’s poll is worded. Can’t give an accurate answer to that one. Instead, ask if the firing of Pearn “alone” was justified. You look at the last two games since Pearn was canned, and you see more than just a few subtle differences. Is it just me, or are they playing a more offensive style? More crashing. More forechecking. Better D coverage? So, if Pearn was the roadblock to this improved play maybe he should have been the head coach instead of an assistant. Maybe his title should have at least been “associate” coach. That would have put him on the same footing as Martin, and then it would have been totalling justifiable to fire him “alone”. It certainly, to the outsider, seems that Cunneyworth and Ladouceur have been given more responsibility since the firing of Pearn, while Martin appears to be….well, Martin. Why not just put a cardboard likeness of Martin on the bench? After all, he doesn’t look like he has much input on the bench. And looking at the firing of Pearn and the taking over of duties by the other two, a cardboard likeness would do just as well.

• tbovs says:

That was the best they have forechecked in awhile…it seemed to confuse the bruins D…they also played a few different d schemes on the break out but still played the basic collapse D that has served them well…when they cover the right guys….I think blunden, Noki, Darche are a great 4th line with grit and sandpaper, willing ness to hit and be hit…they looked great last night. When we get White back put darche in the box and have white blunden noki for your 4th…young fast and mean….that would be a great 4thline no real heavy weights but two guys i.e. white , blunden that can keep them honest.

45. JoeC says:

JM still has to go, they are not using his system anymore, and its working, but hey, lets keep paying this douche and other coachs do the job, not the head coach like normal.

46. HolyHabs says:

Fire Gauthier
    Fire Martin
    Fire the usherette in section 105
    Fire the guy who makes the hod dogs-no, never fire him
    OOPS the Habs won?
    Just reminding the idiot crowd for next time when you want to bail after a loss or 2

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Fire Julien. Fire Chiarelli. Shoot the waterboy and burn down the rink! Ha ha! Go Habs!

You know Neely wants to fire Julien, I suspect Neely still hates the fact Julien ever coached the Habs. If pouliot doesn’t do anything soon (which I don’t expect him too) I think we will see him outright bought out released etc…

• nunacanadien says:

We need to win a cup. Martin’s style is rigid. Insulating him will not help. You could almost import any real defensive coach, offensive coach, but really the habs have made coaching a freakin bureacracy! Only in Montreal could this mess happen! Bring hockey back to Montreal! Let the coachs do what they do best. Fire JM and his bureacratic style of coaching!

We know Gomez will play when he is healthy. Having said that, these are the first games Montreal is winning with Gomez not in the lineup. I am not a hater of Gomez, I am a hater of his contract and as a result of that contract he will/may never produce enough to satisfy accordingly. I think he can be effective, but he hasn’t proven that since perhaps the Habs run to the East. Conf. finals a couple years back.

The difference now is that if this team continues to win in his absence a complete argument can be made to trade/bury etc. his contract. However, he is not stupid Gomez, he should make sure he is entirely healthy upon his return. Because he must prove to Mgmt/Coaching and most importantly the fans that he is deserved to be in the lineup. If and when he comes back and plays good he can help this team, as an Effective Gomez can be more effective than DD, BUT he has to prove that.

If he comes back and does not prove that, then PG will have the evidence in front of him to explain and justify to Mr. Molson why Gomez needs to play in Hamilton or elsewhere. (Even if he just plays well enough to convince another GM that he can fit on their roster and help their cap issues the next two years…. Hello Florida, Nashville, Phoenix, Wpg etc……)

I am trying to be realistic about this, and I expect posts of Eff you Gomez etc…..

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I agree with you, HiB.
      Fact is the Habs don’t have much depth at the Center position.
      His tangible and intangible contributions in the playoffs are needed.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• tbovs says:

I agree, Gomez hasn’t looked comfortable out there …. looks out osf synch and he has a confidence problem. He needs to be on a team with not as much srcrutiny and move on from there as it just seems he is treading water right now…really not much of an impact on the ice.

HOWEVER, He wont’ be burried in the minors….that wont happen. It happpened to 2 players with that kind of contract and it was a few years ago. It wont happen anytime soon if ever. That is the last last cyanide pill, last resort and more than likely he will be traded first. I can honestly bet you won’t see that happen in the near future and if at all again ever. Trading seems to be the only route other than sticking with him and praying he gets his confidence back…personally i think this is the better route cause in reality when he is playing good he can get 60-70pts like a good 2nd line centre but he needs to get it going…he IMO has been one of the problems snice the start of the year.

• CERF says:

I believe that i am a rare breed as a Gomez fan, i think he can contribute more than what DD brings to the table. With that being said i know he has not played to what he is capable of, so maybe him watching from above and realizing that we are doing well and his job is on the line will light the fire in his arse and he will come back to form. God i hope he will!

Jeeze.. wishful thinking on a Friday

That is how I feel CERF, but he hasn’t exactly played like it. I suspect that injury he had in training camp never really healed, and it was recurring and that is why he is out of lineup. BUt as I said, he must only come back when healthy, there can no longer be any excuses. I am giving him one already this year, which may be too many, but NO more.

• Marcusman says:

DD #51 has 6pts and is our 5th leading scorer…he’s a tremendous play maker and never gives up on the puck. he went into the corner 3 times with guys (twice?) his size and came out with the puck each time. He gets better with every game….Gomez as pinted out is simply way too predictable, has a bad shot and can’t mix it up. Face it we’re paying our 5th center way to much money.

• TommyB says:

Excellent post. I agree with you on Gomez. You can go back through the pages and you won’t find a criticism of Gomez from me. You are so right that he will now be forced to prove his worth. He may not have it in him anymore, but if he has anything left to give he will have to bring it. Talking about how he worked on things, conditioning, whatever, over the summer won’t cut it now. He will have to show it.

• tbovs says:

Conditioning means nothing when your hockey sense is impaired…he is missing that right now..you can see the hesitation…i pray he gets it back but his skill set is still a bargaining chip if and when it comes time.

• G-Man says:

The argument can be made about addition by subtraction. However, Gomez is not going anywhere and Eller, despite his good play, has not produced much. Eller has a lot of potential to tap, but Gomez has the experience. Maybe a line of Gomez, Eller, AK in a week?

_____________________________________________________

When in doubt, blame PP.

That would be an intriguing line. I am not convinced that Gomez/Gio should be automatically put together upon his return.

• nunacanadien says:

How do you say this nicely? Gomez and Gionta when they are paird together are too small. They can’t break into and ambush the net. That is how goals are now scored largely. Gomez does not have a sniper shot. Gionta is hit and miss. I am tired as I am sure many fans are over watching our tiny forwards cough up the puck time after time.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – In terms of your Gomez comments. It’s only been one game but I sense the Habs plan on developing Leblanc as a RW. If that continues, then it will have some implications on Gomez’s future. If Eller can eventually handle 2nd line duty (say in two yers), then the team might just decide to stay the course with Gomez’s contract and have him play on the 3rd line. Maybe he can regain his touch in the faceoff circle and kill penalties. That would take some pressure off Pleks. DD would be the insurance policy or move over to the wing.

I’m not rushing Leblanc (he may even need two years in Hamilton), but it might be nice to have a left side of Cammy/MaxPac/AK46 while Cole/Gionta/Leblanc man the right wing.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Good to see Price in strong form, it can only improve once he adds on his Movember stache.

Speaking of which, I am starting a team at Movember.ca for anyone who wishes to grow it out a bit for Movember. Join McPhee’s Irregulars (In honour of impeccably moustached former Hab Mike McPhee)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

49. Vladdy Mondavi says:

You know what I like best about the 2 straight wins?

The doom and gloom talk of tanking has seemed to have evaporated.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• nunacanadien says:

Actually this is why Montreal will never win a cup, we buy into the Gauthier/Molson formula of cheering for players no one wants and who consistently so far have given us terrible draft position, and always just competitive enough to almost make it into the playoffs. That is all Montreal wants, is first round gate proceeds to make a profit added to the profit for concerts in the Bell Centre. That is all Montreal has become, a team built to just sell enough seats. A team not built to win a cup though. It shows.

• Un Canadien errant says:

nincompoopcanadien, you are reliably off base on your comments. How can there be a Gauthier/Molson formula when Mr. Molson only took over the presidency in July 2011? You could bemoan a Gauthier/Gillett/Boivin Axis of Apathy, but give Geoff Molson a chance will ya? I’ve seen him interviewed on RDS and he said all the right things, about growing up a fan of the team, he plays hockey himself, and drives his kids to practices and games, he doesn’t intend to take an active role in hockey decisions….

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

50. petefleet says:

View from my rec room:

1. Price made the saves when it counted but he may be a little too relaxed in there at times. A win is a win and it won’t refleck luck in the standings.
    2. Cole is becoming every bit the Cole that gave the Habs fits for years. Can’t wait to see him when he gets “better and better.”
    3. Pleks is a monster in every sense of the word.
    4. Brad Marchand is every bit the ‘A’ hole he’s know to be here in Hfx. My only regret is that PK didn’t lay him out cold as a maggot.
    5. I enjoyed watching the ‘small’ forwards skirting in and around the great zedano Chara, who by the way, was largely ineffective last night.
    6. The refs had a good night again last night. It makes a huge difference when the whistle is only used when it’s supposed to be.
    7. Eller is really growing on me. It may not be this year, but he is going to be a solid contributor to this team.
    8. Something changed beside Pearn and pink pads. Attitude I think. Pride maybe. Whatever, I like it.

******************************************
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

***Habs Forever***

51. terrier92 says:

Congrats. Good game last night. I thought Bruins played well. Yes I was there. Price stole that game he played real well as did Thomas. See ya Sat night. BTW PK is a diva but Id take him on B’s

Go Bruins

• Habfan29 says:

should be quite the rematch, I always look forward to these games.

• naweed235 says:

WOW… I really wonder where all this hate for P.K comes from… The kid can’t say a bad thing about anyone in his interviews even after the whole Mike Richards incident last year and after last night’s Goons going after him all night… and he is a Diva…Coming from a fan of the most undeserving Cup champs in a LONG LONG time… If anything the B’s were given the Diva treatment all year from Daddy Campel… but hey , no point beating a dead horse

• CERF says:

can always appriciate a B’s fan whos not a caveman and can give a resonable comment on a game!

Good luck for Saturday!

Not sure the Diva comment was reasonable, perhaps the fact you couldn’t hear the posters knuckles dragging around the cave where he actually found an internet connection was reasonable.

• CERF says:

Well it’s reasonable for a Bostonian comment, not to much over the top but not what most habs fans would not call a positive comment.

But lol @ the whole caveman thing

I agree CERF, just couldn’t give him complete kudos! So happy we won, hopeful we can do even better in our barn and bring back a tradition of Home Ice Advantage to this series when in Montreal.

• Gerry H says:

Actually, I think PK is a bit of a Diva, or at least a bit of a showboat. It’s a fair point.

But I’m bloody glad he’s our Diva.

• terrier92 says:

At the game last night I saw something cool. Male Canadian fan sitting alone with his shirt on quietly observing and enjoying game. Not loud, not drunk just watching his team. Got up and left no comment satisfied Im sure. Man after my on heart. Just watch the best game on earth and root for your team . Internal satisfaction.

Go Bruins

Thank you Carey Price, what a terrific game he played. His positioning and size make saves even when he can’t see the puck. We may not have a franchise player at the forward position but we certainly do at the goalie position.

Mr. Holmgren, not sure how popular you are going to be in Philly the next little while if Bryzgalov continues to play like he says he feels. It is one thing to say you are not playing well, it is another to say you couldn’t stop a beach ball, and that you have zero confidence. How in the world can his teammates view that?

Quite the night for sports quotes, Claude Noel says “Self , you must be sick” in reference to watching his team win 9-8.

Price’s dig at Boston was beautiful crafty. Nothing like stabbing a city with a butter knife and still drawing blood.

Ryan White please heal quickly, Alexei Emelin please be patient you will get your chance and I believe you will be a solid addition for this team.

Perry Pearn good luck in whatever you choose to do next, never knew what your role was but I like the fact this team is now willing to forecheck.

• Bripro says:

Yeah! Price is back baby!
      Whoo hoo.
      We should be good now.

• 24 Cups says:

Price is back but he also let in a brain dead goal and almost cost us the game except that Diaz saved us.

Those are both errors by a young goalie but mental alertness is just as important as working on the high glove side save.

I don’t know how people are jumping on Price for that faceoff goal, yah it was a mental mistake but look how great otherwise he played. Thomas was jumping around like an idiot at the other end but because we didn’t score (take advantage) no one says anything.

Agree he needs to not let that in, but tell me when you have seen a player play a perfect game with not 1 slight mistake, unfortunately this one cost a goal.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – I’m just stating a fact – Price is 100% responsible for the softest goal of the year. I’m not negating the notion that he was stellar the rest of the way but he can’t be making those kind of mental lapses like he did on those two plays (stop farting around behind the net!). They’re a bit more than just slight, they could have set a lot of dominos into play. (BTW, I’m a huge Price supporter).

He joked about Buckner, but the reality is that Buckner cost Boston a shot at winning the World Series.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

These people obviously never saw Ken Dryden play. Famous for his soft goals, he also stood on his head when it mattered and won six cups in eight years. A soft goal in a win is just a statistic. Carey is great! Go Habs!

53. 44har48 says:

I could not be happier that we are winning again. This is fun and feels great! I do wish JM was fired after Saturday’s game and we would have a week to get the new guy/gal in here and get up to speed, implement differant strategy, etc…but JM probably will have his job saved after this :(

This team is fun to watch and can beat anyone when they are forechecking 2 guys and attacking the other team. When we sit back in the trap, and let teams take it to us, we have to scrap without any size and it leads to bad penalties and our goalie having to stand on his head. Thats not fun hockey to watch and its the numero uno reason I hate JM, and the numero uno reason for teh rule changes and teh “new” NHL.

GO HABS GO! …and for christ sakes please play Yemelin!!!!!!! He has been fantastic and is clearly playing conservative to be responsible on Defence and learn the new size of the rink and how to communicate with this teamates who don’t speak his language. I realize he is used to playing only 50 games a year and he will need nights off, but not now.

I also must end by saying Gorges played a decent game last night, much better. I have been critical of Gorges and Gill this year, who have both looked like our worst Dmen by far…

• Malreg says:

I think we all agree that Emelin needs to play, but who sits for him to get into the lineup?

Gorges and Gill will NEVER be made a healthy scratch, Spacek has actually played really well since he returned from injury, and both Weber and Diaz have also played really well, and both are important pieces on our powerplay.

Until there’s another injury, or Diaz has a few bad games in a row, I don’t see how Emelin will get back in the lineup anytime soon.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s all part of being a rookie. I doubt that Spacek and Gill will be back next year so all of these kids will get there chance. Look at Weber, he’s had to bide his time and pay his dues.

Just don’t trade the the kids off at the deadline for a quick fix.

• showey47 says:

I agree,we could also lose gorges and campoli along with spacek and gill over the summer. We are in no position to be trading any young defencemen for a band-aid solution.

• 24 Cups says:

The jury’s still out on Gorges but if he plays well during the next 30 games then a smart GM would give him an extension. Mind you, a smart agent would say screw it and go on the open market where some team is bound to overpay (sort of like us with Cole).

54. Bripro says:

I think we can all agree. Subban has quite the talent, but fighting isn’t one of them.
    And considering how bad we had been on face offs for a few games, Pleks would have to win that one cleanly. Price’s only brain dead play of the night.
    Awesome win!

• 44har48 says:

As ugly as that fight was, I gave them both an A for effort and I can appreciate them both for doing what they did. I also liked that Subban settled down a bit and played smarter last night. Loads of talent but has not been a very good defencemen or at least very responsible this year at all.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I think a result of Marchand and Subban’s long bout is mutual respect. They won’t be going at it again on Saturday.

_______________________________
        Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Bripro says:

He’s been OK, just not Subban of last year. That’ll come.
        One thing though, Marchand didn’t do much after the fight.

55. Chris says:

Wow…give Bobrovsky credit for standing up and taking the blame. Wish he didn’t beat himself up quite so much about it, but that’s the life of a professional athlete.

As for our own goalie, credit to Price for playing a strong game. I actually had to leave the room in anger after he flubbed that faceoff into a goal. That was one of the softest, most demoralizing goals imaginable.

But to stand up and ensure the other team doesn’t score another one (with some help from one of my new favourites, Diaz) negated that potentially devastating play and instead gave the Habs even more confidence in their goalie.

56. Clay says:

Where’s the “I have no fracking idea” option on the poll question?
    Grey areas man! Not everything’s so black and white…

__________________________
    Anyway, I’ve never been captain in 16 years in the NHL. But that didn’t stop me being a leader in my own way.
    Guy Lafleur

57. JF says:

It’s a bit early to be more than tentative about this, but it’s suddenly starting to look as though the Habs might be a good team. How much did the firing of Perry Pearn have to do with the improvement on defence and the penalty kill? At the time, it looked like no more than a move to buy some time while sending Jacques Martin the message that he’d better turn things around quickly. The presence of Randy Ladouceur behind the bench, talking to the players and actively involved, suggests it was more than that. Yesterday morning we were saying it’s only one game; now it’s two, and this one was much the toughest. We spent most of the first period laboriously defending our zone, and it looked as though we might be run out of the building. But Price’s goaltending seems to have returned to last year’s level and our guys, particularly Spacek, were heroic in blocking shots.

There are still some problems. Physically we’re still overmatched, Diaz in particular having a tough time against some of the more thuggish Bruins. I’d like to see Emelin in on Saturday. And, as usual, we took too many penalties, although it certainly seemed that the Bruins got away with the kind of crap they pulled all of last year. But the addition of Nokelainen and the call-up of Mike Blunden means we finally have a fourth line that can crash and bang a bit and create momentum. A lot of positives.

• I’m sorry, but the firing of Pearn didn’t change the PP, and PK. They still use the same system that Muller taught them. Only difference is this. The firing lit a fire under there butts, saying one thing. You play awful, and someone will be looking somewhere else to feed their families.

Cole’s last two games are a prime example.

Man, the way he goes with the puck, and uses the boards to his advantage is exactly what I want to see.

You could almost move Gionta and Gomez in a package right now (it will never happen, just sayin). Because their play is what is hurting this team. They both seem like good people, but I want hockey players who will help offensively.

Sorry boys, you’ve been voted off the island.

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• JF says:

I think Ladouceur’s involvement does make a difference. Until the game against Philly, he was not behind the bench.

Certainly agree with you about Cole.

As for Gionta, he helped set up the winning goal. If you remember, he got off to a slow start last year as well, not scoring his first goal until about 10 games in.

I’m not going to comment about Gomez until he’s back in the lineup.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – I always find it amusing when hockey players get a free pass because they are slow starters (not pointing the finger at you). These guys get paid big coin so they need to be ready to help get some of the October points that will hopefully nail down a playoff spot. Maybe it would be better if Gionta was only paid for the months that he was on his game. In that way, we could deduct $700000 for the month of October when he played like crap and let his team down (while wearing the “C”).

Could you imagine if a surgeon took the same attitude as Gionta and Gomez (another slow starter)? “Hey, we’ve lost a few patients this month but I tend to be a slow starter in the operating room. I’ll start saving some lives once Christmas arrives.” LOL.

• JF says:

LOL indeed, Steve. I’m not really defending Gionta. But the whole team seems to have gotten off to a slow start, including Price and Plekanec. There are suggestions this is in part because JM used the pre-season largely to get a long look at our prospects, even distant ones, rather than to work on lines and chemistry. My guess is they’ll do things differently next year. But everyone on the team has looked better the last few games. Actually, looking back, the only two really bad games were Pittsburgh and Calgary. The Buffalo game was excellent, the Florida game very good, and in both the overtime losses, costly mistakes and less than stellar goaltending were the difference. It’s probably a bit soon to say things have turned around. but there’s a lot more cohesion, much better forechecking, and the team just looks more aggressive and intense.

58. Habs24 says:

Cole has looked very good the past 3 games…nice to have a guy who we can cosider a power forward…I think he has gotten over trying to fit in, he is just making it happen!

Most Bruins fans are idiots…just saying…

Drive for 25!

59. Cam_1 says:

Price is hot (2-0-0, 1.00, .962 in last 2 GPI).

60. Thomas Le Fan says:

I asked this question last week and I’ll ask it again … Who wants to trade places or teams with the LAST PLACE Bruins? Suu-weet!

Go Habs!

• HabFanSince72 says:

2 points in the standings in exchange for the Cup?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

They don’t get to keep the cup and if they stay this bad they won’t be defending it either. However, try to maintain a sense of humour, wouldja? Obviously, using the logic I’ve witnessed around here, The BIG BAD B’s are going to miss the playoffs and should fire their coach, GM and shoot the waterboy. We’re supposed to be enjoying this but you can wallow in misery should you choose. :)

61. Sharks9 says:

It’d be nice to beat Boston again on Saturday, especially because after that we have a 6 day break before a back-to-back with Ottawa and NYR.

25 before 14

62. HabFanSince72 says:

Price is a sly one. Post-game, regarding the goal he let in: “I kind of Bucknered it”.

A nice little dig at Boston fans.

63. slamtherimtim says:

So do we really miss Gomez ? ,

64. HabFanSince72 says:

Couldn’t care less about baseball post-expos, but happy Bush’s team choked.

65. CanadienBoy says:

LAdouceur report card is dead on ,the Dogs won last night Leblanc first AHL game winning goal and 2 as.. for 3 pt. in a 3 -2 win

66. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Three pre-coffee thoughts on this Friday morning:
    1) Somebody forgot to tell the Winnipeg Jets that firewagon hockey days are over.
    2) One hell of a baseball game last night, too. Can’t expect the same excitement tonight but I’ll watch it nonetheless
    3) Awesome win last night, Habs. Let’s do it again Saturday.

_______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

67. Habfan10912 says:

Feeling alot better about the Habs this morning, huh? Two thoughts.We wasted training camp and we were not prepared for the start of this season. We are just catching up now.
    Second thought, I am convinced more then ever that there is no room on this club for Gomez. Maybe that’s out side the box part 2?

@jimlaplante

68. everyone knows his contract, nhl or khl, hamilton is not an option

69. tbovs says:

im not sure about the transfer agreement but i think they can go as they please…albeit i think there is some insurance i.e. cash back the other way….i am not sure how its structured but the nashville player did that and it was a big mess…and nash got compensation..it think it was radulov…i can’t remember the name.

70. habsguy says:

I dont know what Martins problem is with Emelin, anyone with eyes can see there are at least 3 players who should sit before Emelin. It was the same with Cole. I hope he doesnt get pissed and leave.

Interesting question. A team never has a healthy defense where all the players are on the present roster. But it could happen so the team has to be prepared for that scenario (that’s how we lost Beauchemin years ago)

A healthy defense would give us nine players. That’s probably two too many although we could just go with 12 forwards which means we only have to drop one defenseman. Blunden is expendable, especially if White returns.

Markov/Subban/Gorges/Gill aren’t going anywhere. Spacek will probably stay because we need his experience. That leaves Diaz, Weber, Emelin and Campoli. I’d have to check but I wonder if Diaz has to clear waivers. If not, he goes to Hamilton. Weber has to clear so he stays. I can’t see Emelin quitting now and going back to Russia. If he does, so be it. Who needs another Radulov situation? He may also accept a temporary stay in Hamilton now that he is already here in NA. Depends on what his agent tells him. Campoli could also be traded which opens up some cap space if the Habs need a forward at the deadline.

There’s lots of options, it’s just a case of Mr. Gauthier playing his cards right.

72. tbovs says:

See in essence i give blunden the nod over Darche…not that i have anything wrong with darche but he doesn’t hit enough and wont drop the mits..but i know it won’t happen but blunden is a good pick up for a 4th line role. He played good last night and the game before.

73. tbovs says:

no actually i don’t but i see good things within how we are playing i.e. the system and forecheck…and yes JM is the cluprit behind it…I know I know…hes count chocula….but he aint stupid. I honestly think that if the Habs don’t have a crazy streak like they had at the start of the year…JM will hold onto his job for the full year nad we might see something in the summer or the end of his contract…like someone to get the team to take the next step i.e. JM has instilled a good defensive philosophy that will get them to the playoffs more than likely but may not get them cup…then next coach will build on that and push em over hump

74. emelin’s contract is not defined by the standard relationship of the nhl and khl, other players dealings have no bearing since his contract stipulates that he plays in the nhl unless the team decides to send him down, which he then has the right to return to the K

pretty straight forward

75. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

We’re pushing 20 years of the “Stopgap”………

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

76. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

jlgib21, in a glass half full perspective, isn’t each year after we don’t win the cup year one of the new five year plan?

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

77. showey47 says:

I didn’t think there would be a stat,i’m basically going by memory to think if it has ever happened before. I just can’t recall it.

78. TommyB says:

You mean outside of Friday night pickup?

I’m not following, how does he go to Hamilton again?

I’m all for rotation of defensemen, especially when it comes to the older guys. The big problem is that in today’s NHL teams like Montreal have to scratch and claw for every point just to make the playoffs on the last weekend of the schedule. Tough to sit out experienced players in that situation.

Funny things happen at the trade deadline. A team’s needs change and and injuries dictate a lot of moves. Which is exactly why we signed Campoli for an overinflated contract when “no one signed him for free” during the summer.

Need an example? How about Ribeiro for Noneahma? That one still burns my ass.

Agree, and I also think Blunden has provided enough spark, that he should not be dismissed the minute White is back. I would like to see White/Blunden/and NOkia

82. nunacanadien says:

Daryl Sitler I think pulled this feat in a game against the habs if I recall. That was a famous rivalary, Sitler vs the Habs. It used to be great to see the Big Bird shove Sitler and the two pushing and fighting. Now that is defensive zone play, the Robinson style. When the habs have won a few, JM will go back to his punishing five on five and rebuking all the stars on our team for showing initiative and sending the wrong message to rookies that Montreal doesn’t want superstars. Let the boys play as they want to play, let them score and earn the puck the right way. This five on five and holding your ground and getting the puck, doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for scorers to ambush the other net. The league is in ambush net mode, the habs are not. That is why we always lose to the bigger forwards.

83. JeffS says:

Agreed. The aggressive forecheck led to multiple turnovers, scoring chances and allowed us more territorial advantage than the typical stick wave and peel forecheck system that had habs constantly back-peddling, giving up ice, having to defend more and face more shot attempts. This takes advantage of their speed and quickness instead of stifling it.

I see you are still neutral on the Swiss Dmen, as am I jlgib.

If and I say IF we get to a point that we have a healthy Markov, Gill,Gorges, PK, etc….. I would like to see them experiment in specific games how resting Gill or Spacek affects the team. I am thinking based on this seasons results against either the Jets, Bruins or Flyers, the winnable ones.

For the amount of foolish icings on our part, he was very much needed Don. And he never scored once against Price!

87. Thomas Le Fan says:

Kind of my point exactly. How do the same folks who think we’re doomed and should make wholesale changes, think the Bruins are “Champs” and have a good chance to repeat? If they’re the same team that won the cup, we’re the same team who gave them all they could handle on the road to the final. It’s a brand new year for both clubs. Wouldn’t it be prudent to give their own team the same benefit of the doubt? Fans? Sheesh!

88. he doesnt

if the team decides to send him to hamilton, his contract dictates that he can go to the khl instead

@Mofo, you must have known I was being sarcastic by now.

90. @HIB

damn you lol

sorry, i get really serious when people lament his common knowledge contract :P

91. nunacanadien says:

If it takes getting rid of Gionta to get rid of Gomez, that is a price I would be wlling to pay. We may not have any young talent that could make up for the loss. But we have the talent left over to make up for it. It would be worth sending Gionta and Gomez to Winnipeg for nothing. If only to improve our offensive performance and therefore improve our defense.

92. patience is a virtue says:

He has a serious game face on out there and directed his line mates from the face off dot with confidence.

Kudos to PG for 1) giving Engqvist a shot and 2) moving quickly to acquire an affordable veteran face off specialist for the 4th line C position.

93. ArmyFan says:

I like Nokelainen as well. He looks confident and competent when he’s on the ice, and was often able to keep the puck down low in Boston’s end while creating traffic around their net.

Other than potting the odd goal, there’s not much else you can ask for from a 4th liner.

94. savethepuck says:

I agree about giving Enqvist a shot was something that had to be done. Enqvist showed in pre-season when he was getting lots of minutes, that he wasn’t ready yet. That’s why PG got Bett’s, and when that didn’t work out, I knew he was still looking for the right guy to come available. Nok’s faceoff stats look impressive, he’s centering a competent 4th line, which may even get better when White returns and most likely Moen is moved back to 4th like originally planned.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

95. Un Canadien errant says:

Raphaël Diaz is a first-year player and doesn’t need to go through waivers.

Here’s how waivers works:

Also, a quick reference to what our roster looks like can be found on Capgeek. They have info on who is under contract, who is eligible for waivers, who has a no-trade-clause…

96. Un Canadien errant says:

from Pension Plan Puppets:

This is the meat and potatoes of determining waiver eligibility. Three key factors determine whether a player is waiver eligible; age, years of experience, and # of games played..

Age is defined as the age of the player when he signs his entry-level contract with an NHL club. This is used to determine the thresholds for the players’ waiver eligibility. The thresholds are the number of years from signing a professional contract, and the number of professional games played.

Depending on the age as determined above, a player is waiver eligible for a certain number of years from the year in which he signed his first contract, as shown below.

Goalies Skaters
    Age Years Age Years
    18 6* 18 5*
    19 5* 19 4*
    20 4 20 3
    21 4 21 3
    22 4 22 3
    23 3 23 3
    24 2 24 2
    25+ 1 25+ 1

For anyone 20 or older, the year in which they play their first professional game is considered the first year counting towards the number of years they are exempt from waivers.

*If an 18 or 19 year old plays in 11 or more NHL games in a season, then the eligible period drops to 4 years for a goalie and 3 years for a skater, with the first year of that period being the year in which the player played 11 or more games.

(Example: Nazem Kadri & John Tavares both signed their first NHL contract as 18 year olds. However, Tavares has played more than 11 games as an 18 year-old. Therefore, Tavares is now waiver-exempt for 4 years (this year, and the 3 ensuing years), while Kadri is waiver-exempt for 6 (this year and the 5 ensuing, although this could change if he plays next season).

The other factor is games played. Once a player reaches the threshold (again based on the age at which they signed their first professional contract), they are eligible for waivers. The language of the CBA is very clear that while there are two distinct thresholds, this is an “earliest of” scenario. If a player reaches their games played mark before the reach the years mark (or vice versa), they become eligible for waivers.

Goalies Skaters
    Age Games Age Games
    18 80 18 160
    19 80 19 160
    20 80 20 160
    21 60 21 80
    22 60 22 70
    23 60 23 60
    24 60 24 60
    25+ 25+

Professional Games is typically defined as all NHL regular season and playoff games. However, for players older than 20 years of age, the definition expands to include AHL regular season and playoff games, as well as any other professional game played in Europe while the player is under contract to an NHL team but on loan to a European club. A 25 year old or older basically gets his first year waiver eligible and that’s it.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?