A heavy week continues

The Canadiens are on Long Island tonight, where Alex Auld gets his first start of the season.

And one more sleep till the return of Andrei Markov.

• He’s big, he’s bald, he’s starting

Dave Stubbs on Auld

• Red Fisher on big goals

• Sean Gordon feature on Geoff Molson

• Bertrand Raymond is not a Scott Gomez fan

• Réjean Tremblay on Guy Lafleur

And Christie Brinkley loves Islander hockey

1. J Haul says:

Holy smokes that was awful man. It was actually a campaign. If you hunt around the web you’ll find a few more ads like that one.

2. RTC says:

Thanks, I thought it was something like that.

3. J Haul says:

Firefox + adblockplus ftw!

4. Storm Man says:

Jordio you had to bring his mother into it.

5. mike g says:

Alright, I’m outta here…

It sucks because today’s a gameday, but I’m not gonna waste my time talking about the H-word and the Gomez contract. It’s just not worth it.

If you guys switch subject later, I’ll be back.

Have a good one…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. mjames says:

Raymond makes some very compelling points although he could have pointed out other implications to the Gomez signing.

(1) Gomez’s salary has impacted the team’s cap in a negative way. Because of cap inflexibility Halak had to be traded as they could not have signed both Pleks and Halak. I happen to think that, given the situation Gainey put the team in, Gauthier made the right decision in signing Pleks and trading Halak.

(2) Concerning the trade, Gainey’s moves also had an impact. Gauthier could not take back a top six forward in exchange for Halak  as he could not accommodate such a player under the cap. Instead he took back a prospect. Although Eller may eventually be a good top six forward, cap inflexibility prevented Habs from maximizing Halak’s value.

(3) I feel Pouliot is getting a bum rap for Gomez’s play. Maybe we should drop Gomez and go with a line such as Pouliot, Gionta and Eller.

Although I may be accused of nit picking given the teams’ performance, you have to wonder how much better this team could be if not for Gainey’s inexplicable moves and specifically the Gomez signing.

7. Storm Man says:

Must be a slow day at team 990 or happy hour.

8. Bugs says:

Agree. Gotta send Gio down too.

And I’ll add: bring Poolio back up.

Decadently yours, I recline as

9. nick says:

You can’t give the title best goal tender in the world after he has a hot season. Sure Halak played well one season… Brodeur has been doing it for years.

10. joeybarrie says:

Explain to me why, IF NO ONE ON THE 2nd LINE IS PRODUCING, you send down Gomez.

You gotta send down Gionta too. He has LESS points. Gionta is supposed to score the goals and Gomez passes. It drives me crazy that people are SO blinded by Gomez’ contract you actually think Gomez is the only problem on that line…

So BIASED.  I have yet to hear any type of argument Gomez is SOLELY responsible for the lack of production on the 2nd line.

Sending him down to the third is just a stupid idea. It makes no sense. Like putting KOVY on the 4th in Ottawa. Yup WORKED GREAT FOR THEM… Useless.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. nick says:

I think it’s a little early to call top goalie honors after 8-9 games… But thats just me.

12. Bugs says:

Twice in 3 years, not 2.

Decadently yours, I recline as

13. OverseasFan says:

I use Firefox and I never get it either.

But maybe it’s also because I’m overseas and many ads are targeted based on where you are.

14. JD_ says:

Losers don’t wear tinfoil hats.

Crazies do.

15. Jordio-oh says:

Too bad for St Louis because they won’t get a sniff of the cup this year. In fact, Vegas odds site have the habs and blues at the same odds to win the cup, ‘which is what it’s all about’.

And you need to give your drug dealer a raise because thats killer bud he’s giving you if you think Halak is the best goalie in the world.

16. jrshabs1 says:

Remember the sandwich and Ferrari….it was a hot young Christie Brinkley

Go Habs Go!!

17. forskis says:

Um…with the way you are phrasing it, it was Glen Sather who signed Gomez to that contract, not Gainey.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

18. slapshot777 says:

1) It’s toss up for me between Price and AK46. Both players have had bad seasons last year. But now Both are shining Brightly. Price has something to prove and AK46 doesn’t have the weight of his brother on his shoulders, so he can now concentrate on hockey. Doesn’t hurt a contract year either.

2) Pouliot, I know he is not producing point wise yet, but he is getting chances so it’s only a matter of time.

3) Moore, just for an answer. But really I don’t see much in the way of a blunder. Let’s just see at seasons end. The players we are talking about, their teams are playing good right now, which usually leads to scoring chances and they are making the most out of them.

4) Roman Hamrlik, only because Hammer started with a bad knee and his age is getting to be a factor. I just see him not really finding a comfortable groove. He will play his minutes, but from time to time will have brain cramps.

5) Doesn’t make a difference. The team is playing well in all aspects except for the powerplay, but that will change in the next little while. As a team you should never be concerned about your opposing starting goaltender. Your objective is still to score and that should be your main focus.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. forskis says:

You mean the one where the guy gets crushed?  I always thought the looks of horror in that commercial did not look as bad as it would have if it occurred in real life…there would have been hysteria.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

20. forskis says:

The comparisons will be coming for a while especially if Halak continues to do well (and good for him for doing so), it was an important piece of business that had to be done one way or the other…as long as Price is holding up his end of the bargain and continue to get wins and play well, that is all that matters for the team…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

You just getting your last shots in before you have to delete your account?

I said it last year and I meant it. Halak has not peaked yet which means it is my opinion that he will get better. However, he is not the world’s best goaltender. If you want to look at numbers alone that would be Tim Thomas. 🙂

Price has made by far better and more difficult highlight reel saves than Halak has so far this season. Another thing. What has Halak won in his life besides regular season games?

I watched the Preds versus the Blues game last night and it was as exciting as watching paint dry. I can’t wait for the game against St.Louis.

22. habs365 says:

It was Gainey whom brought Gomez in and gave him the big money, nothing we can do about it we have to live with it til his contract runs out and it will hurt the team until this happens, nobody is gonna take him that’s why the rangers got rid of him, I can honestly say he works but he doesn’t produce

like someone said earlier, put him on the third line even though he’s getting a top six players wages the people running the team right now don’t have to feel embarrassed they had nothing to do with him being in montreal, put Eller and Pouliot with Gionta and see what happens

I think Gomez would be a perfect fit on the 3rd line with Lapierre and maybe Halpern, Boyd Or Moen worth a try 7 million on the 2nd line or 7 million on the 3rd line what’s the difference, the way he’s been playing he’s not a top 6 player. jm go for it.

23. Psycho29 says:

I really have a problem listening to that guy. He should stick to a subject he knows like soccer.

He was saying on Wednesday that Bruno Gervais was benched against the Habs and he was wondering if it was because he was on L’Antichambre the night before past 10:30 and maybe he missed curfew. I never saw that mentioned anywhere else, he’s just trying to create news and gossip….

24. Chuck says:

Tyler Seguin scoring against the Leafs + Phil Kessel not scoring against the Bruins = Hahaha!

I’m pretty sure that in the 3rd period when the camera panned past Tim Thomas I saw him sitting with his feet up, whittling.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

25. jennifer1984 says:

yeah i don’t know what you people are talking about.

i use firefox always (much better than IE) and never get pop ups anywhere.

26. Xtrahabsfan says:

Hey habfan…your just going to deal with the fact that the Habs organization traded the worlds best Tender for a couple of prospects! It has nothing to do with anything but the race to the Stanley cup,which is what it’s all about?

27. Chuck says:

It’s still not as disturbing as the workplace safety add that was airing during last season.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

28. 123456 says:

i see no other better alternative than G&G together. while more goals and points is always preferred, gomez is not hurting the team.

29. Chuck says:

It costs more to see the Bulldogs. But then again, the hockey is better…

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

30. 123456 says:

call the show and ask them if they prefer price and pleks or halak and ____ . the ___ would have been someone we signed to replace pleks… someone who was avaialable at the time. halak is a good goalie – heck he may be a great goalie.. but i think price is great too and whie the long term verdict is still out on halak and price – the verdict is in on pleks – he’s our best forward.

31. OverseasFan says:

I’m totally rooting for him. He seems to be taking a good attitude to the game. And I’m glad they’re playing him. You wouldn’t want him to get rusty.

Let’s make it 7-2-1 and reclaim our spot on the top of the league!

32. shiram says:

It’s about cigarettes, and how company dress up dangerous products so they are appealing to kids. They compare it to dressing up a grenade to make it pretty…
    I find it a bit weird, as cigarette packs are always half covered with rotten lungs,  diseased mouths and whatnot.

33. OverseasFan says:

Aw, don’t pick on Christie Brinkley. She’s still so pretty!

34. Habfan29 says:

what browser are you using, I never get it.

35. slapshot777 says:

We, as in the Habs didn’t give Scott Gomez the big contract, They took on is contract via a trade, but are not responsible for signing him to it. That was “brain child” Glen Sather.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

36. Mattyleg says:

Hey Booner!

Are we going to get a cut of the advertising profits from having to suffer through that freakin’ Lotto ad that pops up every time you change or refresh this page??

I downloaded a program to block it, but I still get the green bar and have to close it!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. Mattyleg says:

I can’t remember the exact subject of the ad, but the message is that things that are dangerous to kids get dressed up to look more appetizing and interesting to them.

Maybe it’s for alcopops or something. I can’t remember, like I said. I just shut that crap out.

Another reason ads don’t work (LIKE THIS STUPID LOTTO AD!!)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. Rugger says:

1. Plex

2. Don’t consider him in the doghouse, but Poulet

3. None are blunders

4. Hammer

5. Both, as whoever starts will be run out by 30 minute mark.

39. Habfan29 says:

Here we go again Marinaro on team 990 saying that Halak is on the same level as Ryan Miller and he is the best goalie in the NHL, what a putz, Halak has had 1 good half season and a playoff. Last night he got a shutout and had only 2 real scoring chances against. I can’t stand it when someone who has never played the game or nets makes these assinine comments. Get over it Halak is gone, not coming back…..

40. Clay4bc says:

You’re correct – Gomez does exactly the same thing every time, making him extremely predictable and easily stoppable. Biggest waste of salary ever.

But I see you chose to ignore the “winky” face…

Ignore the smiley face at your peril.

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

41. Mattyleg says:

Scott Gomez to 3rd line, Eller and Poupou to join Gio.

I don’t know why people are saying that we have to handle him with kid gloves. I just don’t get it. We gave him a big contract, okay, we have to deal with it. BUT, he’s still a player on the team, and should have to answer like most other players on the team.

This was one of the reasons that Kovalev’s last season with us was such a poisoned chalice: his status merited him a top-six position, but his production did not. We can’t get stuck in that kind of mindset with Gomez. The quicker we demote him and show him that he’s no different from any other (veteran) player, then the easier it will be in the future.

What’s the worst that can happen if we put him on the 3rd line? His production drops? IMPOSSIBLE!

If there was the possiblitiy that bats would fly out of his a$$, or that it would snow blood on Mount Royal, then okay, but…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. RTC says:

I don’t speak french but watch all the games on RDS and I have noticed a commercial with a grenade that runs during the broadcasts, can someone please explain what the commercial is about?

Thanks in advance.

43. TomNickle says:

Not really Clay.  It’s a pretty simple concept.  Gomez takes the puck wide into the zone and either looks for somebody going to the net or takes the puck behind the net and looks for somebody in the slot.

Plekanec is a threat to score from anywhere on top of what he sets up passing wise.

44. joeybarrie says:

1. MVP, Pleks, and Price. But like the playoffs there are many jeys to our success.

2. I think and HOPEFULLY ….POULIOT.

3. I think Lats is the worst of all, however Pouliot is a much more complete player. Lats is very one dimensional. I think LIKE AK Pouliot will find his rhythm and it will come with experience.

4. I think all 3 of these players bring in things to the team that most don’t recognize.

5. DiPeitro. The way Rollie stared at Pouliot last game makes me think he will want to stick it to us Brodeur style…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. Psycho29 says:

Those of you still with the annoying Loto Quebec pop-ups I found a way to get rid of them…

Click on Tools—>Popup Blocker—>Popup Blocker Settings

Then set your Filter Level to “High: Block all popups”

I changed mine from medium to high, and haven’t had any since…

46. SmartDog says:

Yeah, and?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

47. SmartDog says:

Then if we had TWO wingers who’d “figured that out” that line would have a whopping 3 goals instead of 2.   😛

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

48. Clay4bc says:

I think you have Gomez confused with Pleks!

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought). spos080808 is a coward and an idiot.

49. LNev says:

1) MVP = Plekanec.  The guy does everything very well.  His play forces teams to concentrate on him, allowing AK to have more room and time.  When Teams start to key on AK, then Pleks will benefit from that time and space.  Those two (and Cammy if he settles down a bit) could have a pretty epic year.  (A point per game player now a days is pretty epic in the eyes of tyhis long-time habs fan… what? like one in the last 10 years?)

2) Pouliot.  He’s a pretty solid player and contibutes in more ways then O’B does.  Its also easier to tolerate a winger’s mistakes then a Dmans.   When a wingers screws up, the dman can cover.  When a dman screws up, it usually ends up with a great scoring chance!

3) None of the 5 players are a blunder… Lats had what? 2 goals when they got rid of him after three years of rather uninspired play?  Dags looks like a career “interchangable part”.  like moore, boyd, halpern etc… the league is half made up of players that could be switched around and no one would notice.  People get traded and personnel get moved… you only have a few roster spots and have to maximize the position.  If the Habs had kept Lats and he was still scoring 12 – 18 goals a season would that be fine?  1 year of Pouliot at 15 goals is fine.  The 5th year of Lats at 15 goals is not…

4) Gomez’s contract will always make him look like a waste of cash… BUT I don’t think he is.  He contributes in more ways then points on the board.  Although poits on the board would be nice too!

5) DiPietro.  As hockey fights cancer month ends, i’d really like to see the pads.  I was at the Leafs/Isles game a few weeks ago, and he was benched… benched against MTL… c;mon NYI, let’s see the gear!

50. sholi2000.com says:

1.   Plekanec and with honorable mention to Price for the amount of pressure he’s had to put up with.

2.  Pouliot will put together a 30 point season.  That’s good enough for me.

3.  In my eyes, none of them.  I’m the type of fan who’s happy with what we have.  For the record, I was a big John Leclair fan, that was a blunder of a trade.

4. It will always be Gomez.  Nothing he does makes people happy.  For me, I’m happy he’s here.  Someone has to play second line, and it looks like no one else was willing to play in Mtl.

5.  Dipietro.  Hockey Fights Cancer. Any goalie willing to wear pink gear is ACES in my eyes.

They Call Me Shane

51. Clay4bc says:

I’ll take a stab at them…

1. Plekanec

2. Pouliot – but that depends on how you define “good”, because I don’t think there will be a lot of goals, but rather solid two-way play.

Scott Gomez

5. Either/or…as long as we win, I don’t care.

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

52. TommyB says:

Lay off of Clark.  Cousin Eddy seems to be the bigger loser these days.

53. TB says:

1. everyone before the year said Price would have to be the team MVP for the habs to win so I would have to say Price

2. would have to be Pouliot – unless our D gets decimated by injuries I am not expecting to see too much of O’Byrne this year

3. Don’t see any blunder here – glad we have gomez and gionta over those three – anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy

4. so far looks like it is going to be Spacek

5. I predict we face both – Dipietro will play the first period – make an awkward save and hurt his knee again forcing Rolosan back in the net

54. TommyB says:

For as little as $19/game?  I don’t think I could get into a Junior B game here in Ontario for that price.

55. smiler2729 says:

Allan Walsh is a dog

56. nick says:

Same here.

I think with the absence of Markov last year, and Hamrlik filling in for the most part just about killed him.

He was playing too many minutes for too long. Harmlik and Spacek have to be used as a 3rd line D through out the regular season in order to keep them healthy / alive for the post season.

57. smiler2729 says:

Scott Gomez has never heard of Bert (sounds like a fart in a bathtub) Raymond.

58. smiler2729 says:

1. Jacques Martin

2. Benny Pouliot. O’B can’t turn in a good season if he never gets to play.

3. Guidoune

4. Hamrlik, unfortunately, his age has caught up to him. Love the guy, though.

5. DiPipietro. Roloson would rise up in revenge.

Tonight’s fearless predicted score: NYI 4, MTL 2

59. fbkj says:

shit i forgot to put the smiley face for tone :/

60. Shiloh says:

1. AK46 and Pleks – tie

2. Pouliot will carve out a niche as a fast 2-way player who’ll also contribute 15 goals

3. Gomez by far – his astronomic salary is forcing the team into personnel decisions that might otherwise be their second or third choice – the tail wagging the dog

4. Gomez. Hamrlik is in his last year so we may see some waning, but he has been a fair acquisition averall. Spacek’s 3.85 million is high but that’s what a seasoned defenseman was costing a couple of years back (Leafs – Finger – 4 million!). 7.35 million for Gomer is crazy – he might have a hard time signing for 3.5 now.

5. No preference as to the Isles goalie tonight – hope Les Boys skate hard and get their chances. It would be nice to see Auld have even an average to good game – he’s probably a bit rusty.

61. TomNickle says:

Had you considered for a moment that the reason Brian Gionta has had prolonged success with Gomez over the years is that he understands how to play with a player like Gomez?

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that all you have to do is drive the net on the rush and back into the slot when he goes down low to end up with scoring chances.

62. SmartDog says:

I used to love Hamrlik… but he seems to be unable to play consistantly at the level that he did.  Too bad.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

63. SmartDog says:

Thanks for not giving into your neurotic fear of Gomez questions.

Interesting article by Raymond about him.  As he points out, a center should adapt to the players he’s with…. you shouldn’t have to go through ten guys to find one that the center likes.

A friend of mine from New York told me that when Gomez was there he was once described as “he looks like a gourmet chef, but no-one wants what he dishes out”.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

64. TomNickle says:

If Alan Walsh was Carey Price’s agent, would we want him?

65. HFX-HabFan says:

1- No one true MVP, though AK46 has proven that when he comes to play, he can be a game-changer

2- Pouliot will have more opportunities

3- Although I wish we could have kept Moore, I’m fine with how our current roster stands

4- Hamrlik’s contract has been rough…great second pairing guy but not for first-pairing money

5- Roloson will likely start, but if DiPietro started he would probably tweak something anyway

66. TomNickle says:

1. Andrei Kostitsyn.  His dumbfounding well rounded game has been the perfect compliment to Plekanec and Cammalleri and has produced what’s sure to be a #1 NHL line.

2. Pouliot will have the last laugh.  There are enough teams desperate for offense around the league that if he doesn’t work out here he’ll end up on a team that allows him to thrive.

3. Latendresse was easily the Habs biggest blunder.  For a number of reasons.

4. Hamrlik.  He can only put together 1 good game for every 10.

5. I don’t want Dipietro because he can play the puck quite well and with a soft forechecking team like ours that spells trouble.

67. Chuck says:

Christiie Brinkley? Pitchin’ for the Islanders? Makes sense, since she has a history of having a thing for losers… Clark Griswold comes to mind.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

68. fbkj says:

although normally i avoid your 5 questions because i feel that it would make me an enabler to your neurosis.; ill give it a crack

1. pleks

2. pouliot

3. id have to say lats but i dont consider any of them to be a blunder

4. spacek

5. dipietro

69. fbkj says:

first, install a better browser (safari or chrome) then install ad block pro

70. dh says:

Anyone figure out how to turn off these flash adds in IE8?  It set the flash addon to not allow * and it blocks the content but then I still get the big green bar.  Only now, since there’s no content, there’s no close button.

I wonder how many people see this annoying crap and then rush out and buy something…

71. HFX-HabFan says:

Anytime the owner is truly a fan of the game, it bodes well.  The investment made goes far beyond finances.

72. SmartDog says:

1. Your Habs are in first place. Who has been the MVP of the Habs so far this year?  Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Plekanec, PK Subban, or Jacques Martin?

2. Which dog-house Hab will have the last laugh by turning in a good season: Pouliot or O’Byrne?

3. Dagostini, Lats, and Moore, playing with other clubs all have more goals than Gomez & Gionta combined.  And for just pennies on the dollar. Which of these five players represents the bigger Habs blunder?

4. So far this season, people have dumped mostly on Spacek, Hamrlik, and Gomez for under-performing. Who do you predict will end up looking like a bigger waste of cash
    this year?  Jaro Spacek (3,850), Roman Hamrlik (5,500), or Scott Gomez

5. Rollie the goalie was having a great start until he ran up against
    the Habs. Who would you rather face tonight, Rollie or Dipietro?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

73. Rudy says:

Really nice write up on Geoff Molson, you can tell he loves the team and will take good care of it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

74. avatar_58 says:

Bulldogs game tonight (yeah….missing the habs, don’t know why I agreed). I hope they play better than they did vs Toronto last time