A heavy week continues

The Canadiens are on Long Island tonight, where Alex Auld gets his first start of the season.

And one more sleep till the return of Andrei Markov.

• He’s big, he’s bald, he’s starting

Dave Stubbs on Auld

• Red Fisher on big goals

• Sean Gordon feature on Geoff Molson

• Bertrand Raymond is not a Scott Gomez fan

• Réjean Tremblay on Guy Lafleur

And Christie Brinkley loves Islander hockey

1. J Haul says:

Holy smokes that was awful man. It was actually a campaign. If you hunt around the web you’ll find a few more ads like that one.

2. RTC says:

Thanks, I thought it was something like that.

3. J Haul says:

Firefox + adblockplus ftw!

4. Storm Man says:

Jordio you had to bring his mother into it.

5. mike g says:

Alright, I’m outta here…

It sucks because today’s a gameday, but I’m not gonna waste my time talking about the H-word and the Gomez contract. It’s just not worth it.

If you guys switch subject later, I’ll be back.

Have a good one…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. mjames says:

Raymond makes some very compelling points although he could have pointed out other implications to the Gomez signing.

(1) Gomez’s salary has impacted the team’s cap in a negative way. Because of cap inflexibility Halak had to be traded as they could not have signed both Pleks and Halak. I happen to think that, given the situation Gainey put the team in, Gauthier made the right decision in signing Pleks and trading Halak.

(2) Concerning the trade, Gainey’s moves also had an impact. Gauthier could not take back a top six forward in exchange for Halak  as he could not accommodate such a player under the cap. Instead he took back a prospect. Although Eller may eventually be a good top six forward, cap inflexibility prevented Habs from maximizing Halak’s value.

(3) I feel Pouliot is getting a bum rap for Gomez’s play. Maybe we should drop Gomez and go with a line such as Pouliot, Gionta and Eller.

Although I may be accused of nit picking given the teams’ performance, you have to wonder how much better this team could be if not for Gainey’s inexplicable moves and specifically the Gomez signing.

7. Storm Man says:

Must be a slow day at team 990 or happy hour.

8. Bugs says:

Agree. Gotta send Gio down too.

And I’ll add: bring Poolio back up.

Decadently yours, I recline as

9. nick says:

You can’t give the title best goal tender in the world after he has a hot season. Sure Halak played well one season… Brodeur has been doing it for years.

10. joeybarrie says:

Explain to me why, IF NO ONE ON THE 2nd LINE IS PRODUCING, you send down Gomez.

You gotta send down Gionta too. He has LESS points. Gionta is supposed to score the goals and Gomez passes. It drives me crazy that people are SO blinded by Gomez’ contract you actually think Gomez is the only problem on that line…

So BIASED.  I have yet to hear any type of argument Gomez is SOLELY responsible for the lack of production on the 2nd line.

Sending him down to the third is just a stupid idea. It makes no sense. Like putting KOVY on the 4th in Ottawa. Yup WORKED GREAT FOR THEM… Useless.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. nick says:

I think it’s a little early to call top goalie honors after 8-9 games… But thats just me.

12. Bugs says:

Twice in 3 years, not 2.

Decadently yours, I recline as

13. OverseasFan says:

I use Firefox and I never get it either.

But maybe it’s also because I’m overseas and many ads are targeted based on where you are.

14. JD_ says:

Losers don’t wear tinfoil hats.

Crazies do.

15. Jordio-oh says:

Too bad for St Louis because they won’t get a sniff of the cup this year. In fact, Vegas odds site have the habs and blues at the same odds to win the cup, ‘which is what it’s all about’.

And you need to give your drug dealer a raise because thats killer bud he’s giving you if you think Halak is the best goalie in the world.

16. jrshabs1 says:

Remember the sandwich and Ferrari….it was a hot young Christie Brinkley

Go Habs Go!!

17. forskis says:

Um…with the way you are phrasing it, it was Glen Sather who signed Gomez to that contract, not Gainey.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

18. slapshot777 says:

1) It’s toss up for me between Price and AK46. Both players have had bad seasons last year. But now Both are shining Brightly. Price has something to prove and AK46 doesn’t have the weight of his brother on his shoulders, so he can now concentrate on hockey. Doesn’t hurt a contract year either.

2) Pouliot, I know he is not producing point wise yet, but he is getting chances so it’s only a matter of time.

3) Moore, just for an answer. But really I don’t see much in the way of a blunder. Let’s just see at seasons end. The players we are talking about, their teams are playing good right now, which usually leads to scoring chances and they are making the most out of them.

4) Roman Hamrlik, only because Hammer started with a bad knee and his age is getting to be a factor. I just see him not really finding a comfortable groove. He will play his minutes, but from time to time will have brain cramps.

5) Doesn’t make a difference. The team is playing well in all aspects except for the powerplay, but that will change in the next little while. As a team you should never be concerned about your opposing starting goaltender. Your objective is still to score and that should be your main focus.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. forskis says:

You mean the one where the guy gets crushed?  I always thought the looks of horror in that commercial did not look as bad as it would have if it occurred in real life…there would have been hysteria.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

20. forskis says:

The comparisons will be coming for a while especially if Halak continues to do well (and good for him for doing so), it was an important piece of business that had to be done one way or the other…as long as Price is holding up his end of the bargain and continue to get wins and play well, that is all that matters for the team…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

You just getting your last shots in before you have to delete your account?

I said it last year and I meant it. Halak has not peaked yet which means it is my opinion that he will get better. However, he is not the world’s best goaltender. If you want to look at numbers alone that would be Tim Thomas. :)

Price has made by far better and more difficult highlight reel saves than Halak has so far this season. Another thing. What has Halak won in his life besides regular season games?

I watched the Preds versus the Blues game last night and it was as exciting as watching paint dry. I can’t wait for the game against St.Louis.

22. habs365 says:

It was Gainey whom brought Gomez in and gave him the big money, nothing we can do about it we have to live with it til his contract runs out and it will hurt the team until this happens, nobody is gonna take him that’s why the rangers got rid of him, I can honestly say he works but he doesn’t produce

like someone said earlier, put him on the third line even though he’s getting a top six players wages the people running the team right now don’t have to feel embarrassed they had nothing to do with him being in montreal, put Eller and Pouliot with Gionta and see what happens

I think Gomez would be a perfect fit on the 3rd line with Lapierre and maybe Halpern, Boyd Or Moen worth a try 7 million on the 2nd line or 7 million on the 3rd line what’s the difference, the way he’s been playing he’s not a top 6 player. jm go for it.

23. Psycho29 says:

I really have a problem listening to that guy. He should stick to a subject he knows like soccer.

He was saying on Wednesday that Bruno Gervais was benched against the Habs and he was wondering if it was because he was on L’Antichambre the night before past 10:30 and maybe he missed curfew. I never saw that mentioned anywhere else, he’s just trying to create news and gossip….

24. Chuck says:

Tyler Seguin scoring against the Leafs + Phil Kessel not scoring against the Bruins = Hahaha!

I’m pretty sure that in the 3rd period when the camera panned past Tim Thomas I saw him sitting with his feet up, whittling.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

25. jennifer1984 says:

yeah i don’t know what you people are talking about.

i use firefox always (much better than IE) and never get pop ups anywhere.

26. Xtrahabsfan says:

Hey habfan…your just going to deal with the fact that the Habs organization traded the worlds best Tender for a couple of prospects! It has nothing to do with anything but the race to the Stanley cup,which is what it’s all about?

27. Chuck says:

It’s still not as disturbing as the workplace safety add that was airing during last season.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

28. 123456 says:

i see no other better alternative than G&G together. while more goals and points is always preferred, gomez is not hurting the team.

29. Chuck says:

It costs more to see the Bulldogs. But then again, the hockey is better…

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

30. 123456 says:

call the show and ask them if they prefer price and pleks or halak and ____ . the ___ would have been someone we signed to replace pleks… someone who was avaialable at the time. halak is a good goalie – heck he may be a great goalie.. but i think price is great too and whie the long term verdict is still out on halak and price – the verdict is in on pleks – he’s our best forward.

31. OverseasFan says:

I’m totally rooting for him. He seems to be taking a good attitude to the game. And I’m glad they’re playing him. You wouldn’t want him to get rusty.

Let’s make it 7-2-1 and reclaim our spot on the top of the league!

32. shiram says:

It’s about cigarettes, and how company dress up dangerous products so they are appealing to kids. They compare it to dressing up a grenade to make it pretty…
    I find it a bit weird, as cigarette packs are always half covered with rotten lungs,  diseased mouths and whatnot.

33. OverseasFan says:

Aw, don’t pick on Christie Brinkley. She’s still so pretty!

34. Habfan29 says:

what browser are you using, I never get it.

35. slapshot777 says:

We, as in the Habs didn’t give Scott Gomez the big contract, They took on is contract via a trade, but are not responsible for signing him to it. That was “brain child” Glen Sather.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

36. Mattyleg says:

Hey Booner!

Are we going to get a cut of the advertising profits from having to suffer through that freakin’ Lotto ad that pops up every time you change or refresh this page??

I downloaded a program to block it, but I still get the green bar and have to close it!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

37. Mattyleg says:

I can’t remember the exact subject of the ad, but the message is that things that are dangerous to kids get dressed up to look more appetizing and interesting to them.

Maybe it’s for alcopops or something. I can’t remember, like I said. I just shut that crap out.

Another reason ads don’t work (LIKE THIS STUPID LOTTO AD!!)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. Rugger says:

1. Plex

2. Don’t consider him in the doghouse, but Poulet

3. None are blunders

4. Hammer

5. Both, as whoever starts will be run out by 30 minute mark.

39. Habfan29 says:

Here we go again Marinaro on team 990 saying that Halak is on the same level as Ryan Miller and he is the best goalie in the NHL, what a putz, Halak has had 1 good half season and a playoff. Last night he got a shutout and had only 2 real scoring chances against. I can’t stand it when someone who has never played the game or nets makes these assinine comments. Get over it Halak is gone, not coming back…..

40. Clay4bc says:

You’re correct – Gomez does exactly the same thing every time, making him extremely predictable and easily stoppable. Biggest waste of salary ever.

But I see you chose to ignore the “winky” face…

Ignore the smiley face at your peril.

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

41. Mattyleg says:

Scott Gomez to 3rd line, Eller and Poupou to join Gio.

I don’t know why people are saying that we have to handle him with kid gloves. I just don’t get it. We gave him a big contract, okay, we have to deal with it. BUT, he’s still a player on the team, and should have to answer like most other players on the team.

This was one of the reasons that Kovalev’s last season with us was such a poisoned chalice: his status merited him a top-six position, but his production did not. We can’t get stuck in that kind of mindset with Gomez. The quicker we demote him and show him that he’s no different from any other (veteran) player, then the easier it will be in the future.

What’s the worst that can happen if we put him on the 3rd line? His production drops? IMPOSSIBLE!

If there was the possiblitiy that bats would fly out of his a$$, or that it would snow blood on Mount Royal, then okay, but…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. RTC says:

I don’t speak french but watch all the games on RDS and I have noticed a commercial with a grenade that runs during the broadcasts, can someone please explain what the commercial is about?

Thanks in advance.

43. TomNickle says:

Not really Clay.  It’s a pretty simple concept.  Gomez takes the puck wide into the zone and either looks for somebody going to the net or takes the puck behind the net and looks for somebody in the slot.

Plekanec is a threat to score from anywhere on top of what he sets up passing wise.

44. joeybarrie says:

1. MVP, Pleks, and Price. But like the playoffs there are many jeys to our success.

2. I think and HOPEFULLY ….POULIOT.

3. I think Lats is the worst of all, however Pouliot is a much more complete player. Lats is very one dimensional. I think LIKE AK Pouliot will find his rhythm and it will come with experience.

4. I think all 3 of these players bring in things to the team that most don’t recognize.

5. DiPeitro. The way Rollie stared at Pouliot last game makes me think he will want to stick it to us Brodeur style…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. Psycho29 says:

Those of you still with the annoying Loto Quebec pop-ups I found a way to get rid of them…

Click on Tools—>Popup Blocker—>Popup Blocker Settings

Then set your Filter Level to “High: Block all popups”

I changed mine from medium to high, and haven’t had any since…

46. SmartDog says:

Yeah, and?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

47. SmartDog says:

Then if we had TWO wingers who’d “figured that out” that line would have a whopping 3 goals instead of 2.   😛

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

48. Clay4bc says:

I think you have Gomez confused with Pleks!

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought). spos080808 is a coward and an idiot.

49. LNev says:

1) MVP = Plekanec.  The guy does everything very well.  His play forces teams to concentrate on him, allowing AK to have more room and time.  When Teams start to key on AK, then Pleks will benefit from that time and space.  Those two (and Cammy if he settles down a bit) could have a pretty epic year.  (A point per game player now a days is pretty epic in the eyes of tyhis long-time habs fan… what? like one in the last 10 years?)

2) Pouliot.  He’s a pretty solid player and contibutes in more ways then O’B does.  Its also easier to tolerate a winger’s mistakes then a Dmans.   When a wingers screws up, the dman can cover.  When a dman screws up, it usually ends up with a great scoring chance!

3) None of the 5 players are a blunder… Lats had what? 2 goals when they got rid of him after three years of rather uninspired play?  Dags looks like a career “interchangable part”.  like moore, boyd, halpern etc… the league is half made up of players that could be switched around and no one would notice.  People get traded and personnel get moved… you only have a few roster spots and have to maximize the position.  If the Habs had kept Lats and he was still scoring 12 – 18 goals a season would that be fine?  1 year of Pouliot at 15 goals is fine.  The 5th year of Lats at 15 goals is not…

4) Gomez’s contract will always make him look like a waste of cash… BUT I don’t think he is.  He contributes in more ways then points on the board.  Although poits on the board would be nice too!

5) DiPietro.  As hockey fights cancer month ends, i’d really like to see the pads.  I was at the Leafs/Isles game a few weeks ago, and he was benched… benched against MTL… c;mon NYI, let’s see the gear!

50. sholi2000.com says:

1.   Plekanec and with honorable mention to Price for the amount of pressure he’s had to put up with.

2.  Pouliot will put together a 30 point season.  That’s good enough for me.

3.  In my eyes, none of them.  I’m the type of fan who’s happy with what we have.  For the record, I was a big John Leclair fan, that was a blunder of a trade.

4. It will always be Gomez.  Nothing he does makes people happy.  For me, I’m happy he’s here.  Someone has to play second line, and it looks like no one else was willing to play in Mtl.

5.  Dipietro.  Hockey Fights Cancer. Any goalie willing to wear pink gear is ACES in my eyes.

They Call Me Shane

51. Clay4bc says:

I’ll take a stab at them…

1. Plekanec

2. Pouliot – but that depends on how you define “good”, because I don’t think there will be a lot of goals, but rather solid two-way play.

Scott Gomez

5. Either/or…as long as we win, I don’t care.

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

52. TommyB says:

Lay off of Clark.  Cousin Eddy seems to be the bigger loser these days.

53. TB says:

1. everyone before the year said Price would have to be the team MVP for the habs to win so I would have to say Price

2. would have to be Pouliot – unless our D gets decimated by injuries I am not expecting to see too much of O’Byrne this year

3. Don’t see any blunder here – glad we have gomez and gionta over those three – anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy

4. so far looks like it is going to be Spacek

5. I predict we face both – Dipietro will play the first period – make an awkward save and hurt his knee again forcing Rolosan back in the net

54. TommyB says:

For as little as $19/game?  I don’t think I could get into a Junior B game here in Ontario for that price.

55. smiler2729 says:

Allan Walsh is a dog

56. nick says:

Same here.

I think with the absence of Markov last year, and Hamrlik filling in for the most part just about killed him.

He was playing too many minutes for too long. Harmlik and Spacek have to be used as a 3rd line D through out the regular season in order to keep them healthy / alive for the post season.

57. smiler2729 says:

Scott Gomez has never heard of Bert (sounds like a fart in a bathtub) Raymond.

58. smiler2729 says:

1. Jacques Martin

2. Benny Pouliot. O’B can’t turn in a good season if he never gets to play.

3. Guidoune

4. Hamrlik, unfortunately, his age has caught up to him. Love the guy, though.

5. DiPipietro. Roloson would rise up in revenge.

Tonight’s fearless predicted score: NYI 4, MTL 2

59. fbkj says:

shit i forgot to put the smiley face for tone :/

60. Shiloh says:

1. AK46 and Pleks – tie

2. Pouliot will carve out a niche as a fast 2-way player who’ll also contribute 15 goals

3. Gomez by far – his astronomic salary is forcing the team into personnel decisions that might otherwise be their second or third choice – the tail wagging the dog

4. Gomez. Hamrlik is in his last year so we may see some waning, but he has been a fair acquisition averall. Spacek’s 3.85 million is high but that’s what a seasoned defenseman was costing a couple of years back (Leafs – Finger – 4 million!). 7.35 million for Gomer is crazy – he might have a hard time signing for 3.5 now.

5. No preference as to the Isles goalie tonight – hope Les Boys skate hard and get their chances. It would be nice to see Auld have even an average to good game – he’s probably a bit rusty.

61. TomNickle says:

Had you considered for a moment that the reason Brian Gionta has had prolonged success with Gomez over the years is that he understands how to play with a player like Gomez?

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that all you have to do is drive the net on the rush and back into the slot when he goes down low to end up with scoring chances.

62. SmartDog says:

I used to love Hamrlik… but he seems to be unable to play consistantly at the level that he did.  Too bad.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

63. SmartDog says:

Thanks for not giving into your neurotic fear of Gomez questions.

Interesting article by Raymond about him.  As he points out, a center should adapt to the players he’s with…. you shouldn’t have to go through ten guys to find one that the center likes.

A friend of mine from New York told me that when Gomez was there he was once described as “he looks like a gourmet chef, but no-one wants what he dishes out”.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

64. TomNickle says:

If Alan Walsh was Carey Price’s agent, would we want him?

65. HFX-HabFan says:

1- No one true MVP, though AK46 has proven that when he comes to play, he can be a game-changer

2- Pouliot will have more opportunities

3- Although I wish we could have kept Moore, I’m fine with how our current roster stands

4- Hamrlik’s contract has been rough…great second pairing guy but not for first-pairing money

5- Roloson will likely start, but if DiPietro started he would probably tweak something anyway

66. TomNickle says:

1. Andrei Kostitsyn.  His dumbfounding well rounded game has been the perfect compliment to Plekanec and Cammalleri and has produced what’s sure to be a #1 NHL line.

2. Pouliot will have the last laugh.  There are enough teams desperate for offense around the league that if he doesn’t work out here he’ll end up on a team that allows him to thrive.

3. Latendresse was easily the Habs biggest blunder.  For a number of reasons.

4. Hamrlik.  He can only put together 1 good game for every 10.

5. I don’t want Dipietro because he can play the puck quite well and with a soft forechecking team like ours that spells trouble.

67. Chuck says:

Christiie Brinkley? Pitchin’ for the Islanders? Makes sense, since she has a history of having a thing for losers… Clark Griswold comes to mind.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

68. fbkj says:

although normally i avoid your 5 questions because i feel that it would make me an enabler to your neurosis.; ill give it a crack

1. pleks

2. pouliot

3. id have to say lats but i dont consider any of them to be a blunder

4. spacek

5. dipietro

69. fbkj says:

first, install a better browser (safari or chrome) then install ad block pro

70. dh says:

Anyone figure out how to turn off these flash adds in IE8?  It set the flash addon to not allow * and it blocks the content but then I still get the big green bar.  Only now, since there’s no content, there’s no close button.

I wonder how many people see this annoying crap and then rush out and buy something…

71. HFX-HabFan says:

Anytime the owner is truly a fan of the game, it bodes well.  The investment made goes far beyond finances.

72. SmartDog says:

1. Your Habs are in first place. Who has been the MVP of the Habs so far this year?  Carey Price, Andrei Kostitsyn, Plekanec, PK Subban, or Jacques Martin?

2. Which dog-house Hab will have the last laugh by turning in a good season: Pouliot or O’Byrne?

3. Dagostini, Lats, and Moore, playing with other clubs all have more goals than Gomez & Gionta combined.  And for just pennies on the dollar. Which of these five players represents the bigger Habs blunder?

4. So far this season, people have dumped mostly on Spacek, Hamrlik, and Gomez for under-performing. Who do you predict will end up looking like a bigger waste of cash
    this year?  Jaro Spacek (3,850), Roman Hamrlik (5,500), or Scott Gomez

5. Rollie the goalie was having a great start until he ran up against
    the Habs. Who would you rather face tonight, Rollie or Dipietro?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

73. Rudy says:

Really nice write up on Geoff Molson, you can tell he loves the team and will take good care of it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

74. avatar_58 says:

Bulldogs game tonight (yeah….missing the habs, don’t know why I agreed). I hope they play better than they did vs Toronto last time

75. SeriousFan09 says:

In related news, Bertrand Raymond’s only fan is himself.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

76. Mattyleg says:

Although I agree with him about Gomer, he is a terrible griper.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Christie Brinkley – another love of my life that got away.  “Uptown girl, livin’ in your uptown world….”

Steve! did she say she would sit on your knee for only $19.?  I thought she would have paid you more than that!

79. JohnBellyful says:

NYI: Long Island – Tonight’s episode: ‘Auld Lang Syne’ – A formidable foe from Canada, known as Habs, who victimized the NYI team earlier in the week arrives in town to complete his work and ice the Long Island crew. Veteran netminder makes a guest appearance. Spoiler alert: Foe returns home with two points in tow.

PK Subban meets Jimi Hendrix.  Truly brilliant photo-shop artwork.

Hey Joe, are you experienced?

81. avatar_58 says:

I may need to swap out my avatar…

This morning your Montreal Canadiens are in 2nd place in the 30 team league. 1 point out of 1st over all.

This is the year folks! Great management the past 6 years for sure.

The Summit in 1 week boys and girls.!! Going to be a lot of fun.

See everyone at Hurleys next Friday night.

83. Psycho29 says:

Ian! What is with the positive talk? Management has been inept since Sam Pollock! Haven’t you been reading the posts here????

With talk like this the townsfolk will be chasing you through the streets with torches and bats!!

(Actually I agree with you….I like this team and I see potential)

84. LizardKing1967 says:

Ian, I couldn’t wholeheartedly agree with you more. I don’t write on here often, but I follow you all every day. I am one of the faithfull who, for the last 5 years, has pleaded with everyone to be patient with Gainey, as he was, is, and always will be a brilliant hockey mind. Now, it’s only 9 games into a very long season, but we are starting to see the fruits of his trees. I can only imagine what this team wil look like in two or three years when Price, P.K. and MaxPac are flourishing in the prime of their careers. They will surely be known at that time as the “killer P’s” or the “Triple P Threat. I cannot wait to see how good our beloved Habs do this year and shut the detractors up once and for all. AND, to all you loud-mouth Price blasters, some of us have been lamenting all along that he only needs to grow up and we’ll see his true NATURAL talent take over. I have stuck by him through the years, unlike most of you turn-coats (and you could check some of my previous rantings to see confirmation), and I am so happy for the young man, that he is finally getting the last laugh. Remember (might be old and tired this saying, but it fits so perfect): “HE WHO LAUGHS LAST LAUGHS THE LOUDEST!” And I am sure Pricey is laughing right now.

So, when the cup finally comes home in the next year or two, all you Gainey/Price/Plekanec/Gomez/HABS blasters can…….well, I’m too polite.

Thanks for the space, and I wish you all a wonderful time at the Summit next week. I’ll be watching the games and cheering for MY team.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

85. Mattyleg says:

Goddamnit, got my dates effed up. Thought it was tonight!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

86. secretdragonfly says:

A small dose of schadenfreude to start the day –

“There’s a new chant at the TD Garden: “Thank you, Kessel.”   That’s what 19,000 strong were chanting after Tyler Seguin helped lead the Boston Bruins to a 2-0 win over the Leafs on Thursday night.”

87. Instant Karma says:

Hahaha that is great! Nothing better than having the crowd really get into chants, especially against the leafs!

88. joshua94k says:

From the same article:

And just like in Philadelphia last week, the Leafs dominated territorial play but couldn’t get their shots on net.

Last night the Leafs had 20 SOG and 0/5 on the PP. Against the Flyers thay had 14 SOG and 0/3 on the PP. You call that dominating the game. The Toronto media keep feeding their fans that the Leafs have so much potential but lose only due to unfortunate events.

In Montreal, despite being 2nd overall in the league, the media correctly point out areas of concern such as their powerplay, 2nd line scoring etc. The fans and media will never let the Canadiens feel complacent and suger coat their efforts.

Like Wayne Gretzky said during the 93 Stanley Cup Finals “…look around here, you don’t win 24 Cups for nothing…

89. LizardKing1967 says:

“Haven’t you been reading the posts on here????”

Are all these posters on here smarter than actual paid and employed hockey general managers? What makes any of the posters smarter than BG? I don’t see any of you with his or PG’s job.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

90. Clay4bc says:

Too subtle, eh?

Whoosh………..that was the sound of it flying right over your head.

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

91. LizardKing1967 says:

Dave, any way to stop this crazy Loto QUebec pop-up at the bottom of the page everytime it refreshes. It’s getting annoying. And if I see it one more time, I might be tempted to give away my money to them.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

92. Clay4bc says:

Use Firefox with add-ons NoScript and AdBlock Plus…

That’s what I use, and I have never seen a pop-up or even an ad on this site because of them…

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

93. Castor says:

Take it and suck it up. That’s what I’m doing. I got to let it out at bit after the ECF last year. Boy it felt great….but they still say it was a “FLUKE” so they still have their flapping gums. Hopefully this year our Habbies will do well again so we can officially move into “good team” territory rather than “fluke” territory.

94. Habfan29 says:

Typical, I was watching the game and Millen says that it is terrible that the leafs are playing better then the bruins and out chancing them and still losing, he sadi this during the 2nd period whne the leafs enjoyed 4 shots on net to Boston’s 11. I guess Greg Millen and Joe Bowen were watching another game.

95. SmartDog says:

In my survey below, the majority of people said they don’t see the loss of Lats, Dags, Moore, and the aquisition of Gomer a blunder.  (Among those that see  blunders here Gomer and Lats lead.)  While I don’t agree, it’s good that many people see the glass as half full becuase you need to be honest, but you also need to be positive.

So one more POSITIVE question for Mike G….

1. What are the most POSITIVE moves the Habs have made (people, coaching, whatever) in the last year or two?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

96. punkster says:

1. Signed Gomez

2. Signed Gionta

3. Signed Cammallari

4. Hired Martin

5. Re-signed Plekanec

97. SlovakHab says:

1. re-signed Tomas Plekanec

2. drastically improved the team: Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu for Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez. Halpern for Metropolit. Boyd for Sergei.

3. kept the right goalie and obtained not one but two excellent young player for the other goalie

4. has always been classy and never coplained about the refereeing or other things

5. improved the team in general. it plays well in defense as well as offense. beauty to watch. the coaching isn’t as bad as it looked the last year. seems like it all has had its direction

98. mike g says:

What’s up, dog…

Positive moves:

Letting Guy Boucher go: Now don’t read this the wrong way. I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, he’s probably a good one. All I know is that when he came to Hamilton last year, the Habs made a judgemental mistake. Maybe there was a misunderstanding between his expectations and management, I don’t know. Maybe he used the Habs as a stepping stone to the NHL, I don’t know. All I know is that when you sign a veteran coach to a 4 year deal and bring a highly touted coach like Boucher onto the farm, your goal is to groom him slowly and bring him up. I guess he was ready earlier, or took an offer that was too hard to pass up. All I know is allowing him to pursue  his career in Tampa was a good move for Boucher, and the Habs showed class by doing this. Also, there was no way they’d fire Martin and bring him in already, following our performances last year. Good move for both parties. Keeping Boucher locked up in Hamilton wouldn’t have made him a better coach, so that was a smart/nice move by the Habs.

Signing Pleks: I was worried it would be too much money, but so far he’s proving he’s worth that and some. The Habs obviously took their time to get to know every inch of him, on and off the ice. And they made a great move by keeping him. If Pleks was 3 inches taller, he’d be everyone’s favorite player.

Keeping Kirk Muller: It’s not because I don’t like JM, but man am I ever anxious to see Kirk hopefully as head coach of this team one day. What a model that guy is. Shows emotion when needed. Love it.

Being Patient: The same way this management group evaluated Pleks, they did the same with Price. They saw a bright light at the end of the tunnel, and didn’t step on the gaz too much. Time and patience is what has made Price the goalie we see today compared to the past 2 years. Same goes for Markov, there was no need to re-sign him last summer. Wait it out, watch how he plays this year and responds to the injuries, and then pitch a deal forward. Also getting Halpern was a nice move over Moore at 2 mill per year. Halpern was a little cheaper, is a right handed shot, and great on faceoffs. Also, he’s got a great attitude in interviews and you can tell he’s a smart veteran and respected by the players in the room.

Throwing SK in the garbage: no explanation needed.

Trading Halak: Same as Guy Boucher. H was ready for a full time load, and the Habs were confident in Price being able to do so also. They probably said they’d rather spend the money on Pleks and Price over Halak and someone else. People forget Josh Georges is due for a raise this year, and AK’s looking like a 30+ goal scorer. Guys in that category get 5 mill, so the Habs must have planned to have additional cap space for this by trading Halak.

The Molsons: I think it’s really important to have owners who care about each and every aspect of this franchise. I’m not talking about taking control of everything and going on a power trip. But being able to offer the best product and services, because deep down inside they know how imporatnt it is to us.

There are so many more, maybe even more important, but I’m not behind the scenes so maybe I missed some. Maybe a deal was gonna be done, or a signing of a certain player and it didn’t get done. Sometimes the moves you don’t make are the best ones. So yea….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

99. Rugger says:

1. Pleks

2. Martin

3. PG (I know I will hear it on this one!)

100. Sakus Evil Twin says:

When Scott Gomez was a free agent – I was one of the folks that hoped that Gainey would sign him… He opted for the big money in NY and who can blame him for that… I doubt there is a player in the cosmos who would look at that contract and  objectively say “Oh no – I’m not worth that – offer me less. Surely my team’s salary cap will be knackered”.

As much as most don’t want to understand it, a player is not his contract… the contract is owned by the team that signed it and the player is signed to do what he does… He doesn’t become a 150 point scorer based on what a GM thinks he’s worth.

I think that Gomez has been pretty solid defensive zone through neutral zone, and something seems to inhibit his play once he crosses the blue line. He is a guy who needs options, and it’s fair to say that his options have not been great.

He could definately take a look at Pleks and follow his lead, as I think they both have some of the same attributes: – be more direct, take the quick shot when he has the opportunity, be patient… blah blah blah… and he’s gone on record stating that he’ll do just that…

As Ian says below, he showed up at the right times, and I think that still rings true… he’s involved in every game… and he is still skating well… I’m not worried (yet) about the points…

Alex Auld? *shudder*

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

101. pic1983 says:

Clearly me and you arent watching the same hockey team.  Ive barely noticed Scott Gomez for the whole season.  Now, barely noticing a player isnt a bad thing when they are say…a defensive defenseman, but when you dont notice a big-money, top-line forward, thats not exactly encouraging.  Every time I have noticed him, it’s been for the wrong reason.

This guy needs to get his s**t together, because to me, every game he looks like he’s just going through the motions.

The HIO Jaroslav Halak fan-club 10 Commandments:

1) I am Halak, your Goalie, who brought you to the land of the Eastern Conference Finals; do not have any other Goalies before me.
    2) You shall not make for yourself an idol of Carie Price, whether in the form of anything that is a bobble-head, or a hockey card, or a bookmarked web-page.
    3) You shall not recognize his wins or brilliant saves; for I Halak your Goalie am a jealous Goalie.
    4) You shall continue to make use of the name of the Halak your Goalie, for the Halak will not acquit anyone who misses a chance to mention his name.
    5) Remember the day of June 17th, 2010 and keep it holy.
    6) For six years you shall moan and complain.
    7) And if by the seventh year Halak, your Goalie hasn’t won the Cup; you shall not have any parades, your sons and your daughters shall still be Habs fans though.
    8) Honor Guy Boucher and Brian Burke so that you may join with the rest of the Habs haters and trolls in the worship of Halak your Goalie.
    9) You shall not bear true witness in favour of Carie Price.
    10) You shall not covet Carie Price even if he wins a Cup before Halak, your Goalie.

103. SmartDog says:

Yeah, whatever.

Can we still hang with loose wome and covet our neighbours swimming pool?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

104. TomNickle says:

Well done.

A Habs v. Blues Stanley Cup Finals sure would be interesting.

Some people around here would surely show their true colours.

105. avatar_58 says:

You know what I hope F’ing happens when the habs play the blues? Price gets a 50 shot shutout and Halak lets in 5 goals on 5 shots getting pulled in the 1st period.

THEN this shit will stop. (and by this I don’t mean you, but the idgits who follow the commandments 😉 )

106. Matt_in_TO says:

Gotta say, that’s PRICEless.

– In Price We Trust

107. Slovak says:

“Halak was terrific Thursday in notching his second shutout in a row turning aside all 24 Nashville shots he faced. The stoic Slovak was especially strong through the first half of the game when he stoned Patric Hornqvist, the Predators’ scoring leader last season, on a breakaway.

Halak has now beaten in succession the past two Stanley Cup champs (Chicago and Pittsburgh) and the last team without a regulation loss. Through his past three games, Halak has stopped 78 of 80 shots he’s faced.

“He’s such a fun goalie to watch. It looks like he’s not even trying he’s so effortless. I mean all his motions, there’s no wasted energy with him. We feel so confident with him back there he’s so cool, calm and collected,” Johnson said.

“He’s been a great, great asset for us,” he said.”

108. observer says:

Commandment #1

Thou shalt never use the name Halak in vain.

109. formerexpo says:

I didn’t read all the posts, so I apologize if someone pointed this out but in the Islanders commercial, right around the 17 second mark. Is it just me or did they not promote a head shot by Brendan Witt that the league is trying to crack down on? Good marketing!

110. Say Ash says:

Was that Jagr?

Good catch. The hypocrisy is dumbfounding.

112. otter649 says:

Also had MAB in the commerical – I believe……..

113. JD_ says:

Watched a clip of Claude Julien after his Broonz squashed the Loafs last night, like the skitterin’ little douchebugs that they are. He was commentin’ on the absolutely hilarious way the Broonz fans were chantin’ “Thank you Kessel!” over and over after Seguin popped one.

Julien noted that the Broonz have really great fans who support the players that are there and taunt the ones who were once there but are now gone.

I had to laugh at the fact that hard-core hockey fans are all cut of the same cloth. Yeah, Philly has a heavy penchant for knuckle-draggin’ and T.O.’s more interested in the chicken wings and nachos but, at the end of the day, most if not all pull the same crap when the ex-pats come to town.

Even better, as when Hab fans blitzkrieg the Nassau Bell Centre Coliseum, the show goes on the road. The Cirque du Soleil‘s got nothin’ on us, biznatches.

Speakin’ of coaches, Ron Wilson had the followin’ to say prior to last night’s drubbin’, “Well Phil Kessel’s got seven goals, Tyler’s [Seguin] got what, one?” Ron’s math is bang on. Havin’ said that, I dunno, but I gotta feelin’ the numbers are gonna become a whole heck of a lot more challengin’ in, say, just about a year from now, you know, when Nugent-Hopkins/Couturier/Saad/Landeskog/Puempel starts lightin’ it up in the big leagues, for some team other than the Mopey Loafs. And then there’s the year after that, and then the followin’ year, etc…

114. lavie says:

Be patient with G-G line. We have all witnessed their colors early this year.

115. Matt_in_TO says:

That is a great article on Geoff Molson.  It’s nice to see that the team is in great hands and that we have ownership that cares and wants to win unlike a certain teacher’s pension plan.

– In Price We Trust

116. Bugs says:

The Nova Scotia teacher’s Plan?

Listen, I hear they’ve been goin through some little difficulties, but they want their enterprise to succeed just like anyone else’s. I don’t even know if they’re invested in hockey in any capacity either, sooo, what’s the point?

Decadently yours, I recline as

117. SmartDog says:

You’re putting Gomez first to taunt me. 😛

It’s okay… taunt away.  To many, it takes away from the crediblity of your list though. :)

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

I agree but it is traded for Gomez.

I’ll also add traded for Eller.

119. punkster says:

No, not to taunt. Read what I said below.

Let’s stop pussyfooting around with the Gs. Fire them. Sit them in the press box for the remainder of the season. No demotions to lower lines, no demotions to Hamilton and the waiver issue crap, no trades because NOBODY waould ever pick up their useless contracts. Just press box them.

Because that’s where you’re heading with this whole anti-G thing (whether it’s your ongoing Gomez or your about-to-be-newfound-anti-Gionta campaign). You’re head is stuck in the same close-minded mode with Gomez and you won’t be shifted. So press box him and his little friend.

Now, who do you call up as replacements? Who do you bring in who will keep us in first, or at least top 5, place? Cause you can’t trade them, right?

Who SD? Who?

120. TomNickle says:

They won’t stop.  Halak gave up 9 goals on 50 shots in a 7 period time span against the Capitals and he’s still the hero that carried this team through the first round.

He’s the same goalie who cost us a game against the Penguins and let in the soft goals that Price gets ridiculed for against the Flyers.

If it weren’t for him crapping the bed early in the series we easily could’ve won it in 5 games instead of 7.

121. observer says:

Halak is currently on a 153 minutes and counting shutout streak.

122. TomNickle says:

Yep.  He sure is.  And we’ve seen it before.  So when the bloom comes off the rose and he lets in 10 in 2 and a half games does that make you fair game?

Can I come at you at that point and say Price is a Vezina candidate and that Halak is a bum?

123. mike g says:

Take a guess who owns the longest shutout streak in NHL history?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

124. TomNickle says:

Brian Boucher?

125. mike g says:

Correct, Tom!!

So tell Halak and his 153 minutes to go f-himself.

It means nothing, cuz in the end Brodeur and Roy are/will be better than Halak and Boucher.

And you too OBSERVER, go you know where…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

126. Habfan29 says:

who cares this is a habs site go over to the blues site “troll”

127. RiverviewCanadien says:

You’re right it means nothing, Brodeur and Roy are/will be better than Price as well n’est pas?

You are one to talk, you cheer for the Flyers. Do they have a FIO site yet?

128. SLONCOLD says:

u really dislike halak lol he was our best player in the playoffs last year.

129. mike g says:

I don’t cheer for the Flyers you child..

Habs are my team, and I follow Philly cuz of my favorite player Mike Richards.

And you don’t see me here all day posting comments about him being better than Gomez, cuz I don’t spew shit onto this site.

I watch Philly’s games when I can, and I shut my mouth.

Now go drink milk from ur mom, ok.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

130. TomNickle says:

I don’t dislike Halak, and I’m sick of having to qualify every piece of his play that I analyze.

I look at the good and the bad, with everyone.  I can give you a rundown on what my scouting reports for every player on this roster would be if you like.  And there are flaws in all of them.

Halak has been inconsistent throughout his career.

131. TomNickle says:

Haha…..last time I was at an adult entertainment venue a friend of mine spilled a drink on a fellow and I offered to buy his party a round.  He declined so I had the barmaid take him a glass of milk.

Thanks for triggering the memory Mike.

132. SLONCOLD says:

so what’s your view on price’s play? i have to say his game has flaws and he’s a few “unlucky goals” from last year. he’s going down way to early and being caught deep in his net… a bunch of posts has helped him out. the overall numbers say he’s playin well but i really hope they r working on his game. good shooters will just wait for him to go down and not shoot at his pads.

133. TomNickle says:

I don’t think he’s been too deep in his net but I think he’s struggling at finding pucks through traffic.  Guessing far too often when he should be setting up in areas where the puck can potentially get through.  He leaves too many holes when hugging his posts too.

Going down too early?  Meh.  I really don’t focus on that with him because he takes away so much of the net that it really doesn’t matter and being a tall goalie he’s better off going down a little early instead of a little late.  In the long run being down early leads to more saves than going down late does.

134. boneheadslanger33 says:

Watch your language please Grumpy, there are children that read this drivel

135. SLONCOLD says:

well you’re being fair. my issue with the going down early is being overcommited to the shot. it’s much easier to reposition while on your feet then while in butterfly with left/right pushes and displacements.

i still have seen a great improvement in his ability to reading plays although like u said u don’t want to guess the play eaither ( ala fluery)

136. TomNickle says:

He has incredible strength from his knees and moves post to post with remarkable quickness.  I don’t think he’s overly committed to the shot when he goes down.

137. Everlasting1 says:

Whatever. I remember the pps, the heavy traffic in front, the screens and deflections. All were factors.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

138. observer says:

why stop using price while he’s hot and team is winning? another dumb move of gauthier.

139. Storm Man says:

The coach made that call.

Ah Tony. Where’ve you been?

First of all its Martin’s decision.

Secondly the Habs play tomorrow night. Even your boy Halak has had a few games rest.

141. Bugs says:

Who the heck is feeding this thing?

It’s gettin huuuge!

Decadently yours, I recline as

142. avatar_58 says:

What do you care your team isn’t even playing tonight?

143. punkster says:

Missed you man. Hey, wade in on the Gomez discussion with SD will ya? We need a rational observation there.

Its not the GM,s call. Coaches move. And a good one at that.!

145. SmartDog says:

This is what KILLS ME!!!!!  That the people on here who think Gomer is great are watching the SAME GUY THAT I AM. I don’t get it!  He’s barely visible…. sometimes I cound how many bad plays he makes in a row and it’s easy to get to 3 or 4.  Gains the zone, loses the puck, gains the zone, passes to someone in a crowd, lost puck, tries to gain the zone, oops, doesn’t get in.  The guy REALLY SUCKS!!!

When I watch Gomez I see a guy who’s playing pond hockey.  He flies around and you don’t want to drive to the net because you might hurt someone and it’s just for fun anyway.  He plays his winding game no matter how unsuccessful it is.  Why Martin doesn’t bench the guy kills me just as much.  GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR….  and another thing!!!  LOL

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

146. TomNickle says:

I have not seen a single post since the start of the season from a person saying that Gomez is playing great or even good hockey right now.

If there is one, please show it to me.

You don’t need to fabricate opinions to make your point.

147. punkster says:

Now you’re stretching.

I’m withholding all cookies until this discussion calms down 😉

148. G-Man says:

You are like my friend who only see the negatives of a player, so it’s fair to say you are biased against his contract. Everyone around here says to shut up about Price and Halak and it’s time we shut up about Gomez’s contract. If you were offered a raise that was that great, you would say no?

149. joeybarrie says:

What kills me is that PEOPLE DONT GET IT… Was he invisible during our best playoff run since 1993 ???

Was he invisible while getting the most assists on our team last season when we made the Playoffs with HUGE injuries?

Was he invisible while playing with GIONTA to his best 3 seasons ever?

Bench a guy who makes the most passes on our team to a guy who has the most shots on our team??? I mean isnt that just plain dumb?

Bench a guy who successfully brings the puck out of our own zone, and into the opposition. Tough for a team to score when Gomez has the puck in your own zone.

I would be happy with a guy who set up a game winning goal, and scored one of his own. Responsible for 4 of our points and one third of our wins.

——–GOOD POST—————

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

150. TomNickle says:

You can quote ESPN all you want but I watched the first 55 minutes of that game and your saviour only had two scoring chances on him in that time period and both came in the first period.

I thought you were done here?

151. RiverviewCanadien says:

Yes yes yes, the almighty “Weak saves” excuse.

I am very happy with Price and confident thus far, but come on already, every save Price makes is not INCREDIBLE and every goal that goes in, is not UNSTOPPABLE!

EDIT: btw, you did tune in to watch the first 55 minutes of that game, why? There were other games being played….LOL

152. Storm Man says:

Like most cockroach’s he can live without his head.

153. TomNickle says:

I wanted to see Nashville and how brother Sergei looked and I never miss the chance to watch Shea Weber.

Not week saves.  Week shots that my dog could’ve stopped with no equipment on…..how’s that?

154. SLONCOLD says:

i watched the game and thoguht his positioning was very solid. preds do have offensive issues though.

155. RiverviewCanadien says:

Man, Halak is doing great so far (but hey I knew he was going to be a.o.k), what a team the Blues are becoming. That was just to piss of the Price lovers. Some people really need to chill out because someone is a fan of a hockey player that does NOT play for the Canadiens.!

Habs are just fine, Price is doing great himself this year, a very happy time to be a Hab.

156. shiram says:

Hey i wish Halak all the success in the world, unless he’s facing off against the Habs…
    I mean here is a player that we formed in our organization, and that now thrives, so that reflects positively on the Habs.

157. 23 HABS 23 says:

Yes, Halak is doing well … the team in front of him helps (’cause they can score on a regular basis) but it has also been the soft schedule the Blues have that has helped Halak out.  He should be sharp and getting shut outs with 4 days rest between games … I am interested to see how he will do when he has 4 games in a 7 day stretch – then Halak’s weakness will be exposed – he can not handle a heavy workload (and I am not talking about facing 40+ shots – I know he can do that – I watched the playoffs last year).  Anyway, here’s hoping Auld has a great game against the Islanders tonight!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

158. rocketsglare says:

It will be curious how this team will respond to Auld in net given that their is a belief that this

team plays well for one goaltender over another ( of course I am making a joke). But seriously,

the team will adapt to Auld in net and play well because the trend out of the gate so far is solid

team play and regardless of who is in net will benefit. Auld will do well and Carey deserves after

9 consecutive starts a well deserved rest. Good to see this team in 1st place.

159. observer says:

i remember when sports used to be played by real men. a pitcher pitched 9 innings and a nhl hockey goalie played every single regular season game.

They play more than 50 games a year now old-timer. Look at Brodeur. He’s one of a few who played most games a year. The other is Hasek. I guess you forget when Roy and Hayward owned the Jennings trophy for 3 years straight. Best Habs team since the 70’s right there.

Today’s athletes are ten times in better shape than your old-timers and the game is faster today. Take another nap or sit on the bowl for a few hours trying to push that little pebble out because the pressure is getting to your head.

161. Storm Man says:

Having flashbacks are you? Next time say no to LSD.

162. shiram says:

The seasons we’re shorter back then as well, the game was slower too.
    So the game changed, and now you have to rotate some players to keep them in top shape.

And it would be interesting to see you go up to Price, and tell him he’s not a real man…

163. otter649 says:

And when was the last time a NHL hockey goalie played every single regular season game ?

Habs play tonight my friend.

Now it is plated by smarter men. Keep everyone sharp in case of injury.

Habs play tonight and tomorrow sir.

I meant that with Habs having two games in a row in a 4 game week and after playing 9 games already Price can use a rest.

167. rocketsglare says:

It’s O.K. to be a Halak fan but not on March 10th of next year when the Habs play the Blues in

St. Louis. Then all fans should wish for a blow out win. Go Price!

168. PrimeTime says:

News Flash: “Critics Criticize”….WOW, what a revelation!! It’s who they are and what they do so. For as long as this site exist we will continue the banter of what does not make the Habs the perfect model team for all eternity to bow and grace it’s genius. For the most part, the banter is friendly with each side repeatedly and redundantly argueing their points. Fortunately for all site visitors and Boone, the Habs nor any other team, player, coach, or gm ever be perfect in everyone’s perspective. Some just enjoy to remind the others of weaknesses and then enjoy defending their points of criticism. Nobody is right or wrong until the fat lady sings…..and even then the infinite differences of opinion continue. Even the Trolls who are treated as univited guests to the deal make this this site an enjoyable ongoing discussion about out beloved team.

Boone’s last ALN piece pretty much nailed the identity of this team….fast and smart. It is what the architects envisioned when forming this group. Other architects like Burke and Lou have different design ideas. Fans too have different likes and dislikes of what the their team identity should be. But only time will determine the outcome. Today, this team is exciting and entertaining to watch with as many sub-lines as the critics and trolls offer. We are a forunate bunch!

169. Propwash says:

Hopefully it won’t be a repeat of last year when Price fell into a funk after sitting out a game at the beginning of the season.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

170. krob1000 says:

I am a huuuge believer the gomer deal was terrible…that being said he does do many good things away from the puck, he takes away lanes, heis speed is dangerous on the forecheck, he is postiionally super sound…..Pleks is all of those and more thuogh…but the point is guys can help inother ways.  Subban, I believe is far more valuable then his oofense as his speed makes him virtaully unbeatable to the outside, he is trong enough to not let beat inside, he is smart and takes away space.  His blunders witht he biscuit are far outweighed by the postivies with it and without it.  I think sometimes people focus too much on points and “production”…bt an average NHL player has the puck for less than a minute a game…..so well over 90 percent of their game is played away from the puck…..this is crucial to understand how important smarts are.  Poeple need to understand how they can influence the play without a puck…taking away a lane, steering a guy to one side or into a trap, screening,picking, pressuring, switching for someone out of position,etc…..  http://www.smarthockey.com/philosophy.php

At the same time there is a ton that can be done with a puck….faking like Cammi did to create his own shot, shoulder fakes, look aways, changing the position of your stick, carrying it in a triple threat position (pass, shoot or make a move….this is where Gomez fails BTW…he stickhandles side to side in front meaning he can only go left or right…BIG DIFFERENCE between he and Pleks.  If Gomez were to make that adjustment and keep the threat of a shot in play he would be a serious weapon …like Pleks is)  the angle of your shot or pass, zone entry, puck possesion, passing it to a space your other player may not be aware he is going ..but you put the puck there and away they go….so much that is not accounted for in goals and assists. Does Gomez help our team…you are damn right..unfortunately his cap hit is waay out for whack…but the guy can play and despite that twice a game pass into nowhere he still makes us better…now there are other players of les value who could do the same…100 percent true but when arguing aboutt he Scott Gomez deal or evaluating any player for that matter…it is imperative to look at mre than g’s and a’s.

Gomez can play and the contract for the 20 millionth time is not his fault…he isn;t going to become better because someone paid him more….he is what he is…and he helps in other ways…he is overpaid but that isn’tgoing to change…so as long as people honestly assess both sides …then fine.  Dn;t attack Gomez …attack the move that brought him here…which to open another can of worms is ..partly responsible for the Jaro trade as well and us bringing in Eller…..if you don;t think him being a Center with size with top 6 potential and his cap affordability were huge factors….Anyway..I like Scott Gomez…his name unfortunately is asscoiated with cap dollars and tehy are super important but Scott Gomez is one heck of a hockey player…taht much is true no matter what he makes…..first , line, second line, third line, who cares…his contract is here now…I’ve accepted it….so it is possible …he does brings many, many positives that aren;t measurable on a scoresheet.

Chantal has been traded for Christie Brinkley. Who won the trade? Discuss.

172. matraque says:

We have to admit…. Halak is playing amazing these days and he’s for real… Price is for real too so far (BIG RELIEF).  So at the end of the day… Habs would be at the same spot with either goalie at this point of the season.

To bad… PG could have worked just a little harder, we could have got a lot more for Halak IMO.  So far, i’m not that convinced about Eller… All i see is hype.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

I agree. There’s some great material here not just insight!!!

174. joeybarrie says:

Posts like this is what I have a problem with……..

You’re right on both counts.

How some fans, who claim they watch the games, try to defend Gomez’ play is beyond me…

game he’s just going through the motions.  Doing his own thing.
    Terribly frustrating because you know he has more talent than that.

his salary way over his capabilities? Absolutely.  However, least
    season he barely played like a forward worthy of $5 million, nevermind
    $8 million.  This year? He’s playing like someone who should be a
    healthy scratch.

Gomez and Pleks should have their salaries switched because Pleks play could more easily justify the $7.3 million cap hit.”

Gomez had 14 pts in the playoffs. Pleks had 11. Gomez had 90% of his points in games we WON. Gomez had more ice time.

Gomez is just going through the motions???? Then why does his line mate have the most shots on the team? Turnovers???? JUST PLAIN DUMB… You think a guy responsible for over 1/5 of our goals is BARELY worth 5 million?

I don’t know about you, but the guy who has the most ice time in the playoffs, and the team goes to the Conf Finals, MIGHT BE A VALUABLE GUY….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

175. matraque says:

You want Higgins back?

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

176. TomNickle says:

But Joey, he’s overpaid.  He’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid, he’s overpaid.

And……he’s overpaid.

177. TomNickle says:

You want insight?  I think Halpern was signed to give Cammalleri a Jewish companion on the team.

Considering that both have bounced around a fair bit and that Cammy had a bit of a locker room pain in the butt label it wouldn’t shock me.

No, no, no. The Habs could’ve entered the Kovalchuck sweepstakes if Gomez wasn’t on the books. Or maybe signed Gaborik.

179. TomNickle says:

Who needs Subban, Weber, Leblanc and a 1st rounder next year anyway?

I would’ve done that deal in a heartbeat.

180. fbkj says:

true, look at what chicago got for niemi

One enigmatic Russian experiment wasn’t enough.

The Kovalchuck contract looks like the Yashin contract resurrected.

182. TomNickle says:

Lecavalier too.  We should have given up Gorges, Subban, Price and Plekanec for Lecavalier.  That would’ve worked out well too.

Oh, and Hossa……..and Briere………and Pronger.

Yeah, they have no clue what they’re doing in the office.

183. krob1000 says:

Last year is last year….if that is the case then you are setting up the why trade Jaro, why let moore go, why let metro go,etc.  If you try to use stats to justify Gomez you then you have to consider his salary…and it is nearly impossible as he is overpaid, overpaid,overpaid (for you Tom).  Stay away from the stats Joey….focus on the positives he brings, leave the slaary out because it can;t be justified ina cap world….however, management has miraculously gone and built a team despite the restrictions and Gomez is a key component…approach it from that angle and most if not all can agree…..try to use Gomez stats  or compare him to Pleks…whom I am sure even Gomez would conced is a more complete player right now and you are not going to win. Gomez does a ton of great things…..I have laerned to accept the deal given the other moves management has made…part of a plan? who knows…but they have changed the culture around here, they are showing sings of success and most importantly they have FOR THE MOST APRT…worked around Gomez’ deal for now.

In the future there may still be adverse affects but for now…the contract has become as acceptable from an organizational standpoint  as it could possibly ever be….but there is noone out there who can actually say that given todays cap, that Scott Gomez, despite teh wonderfult hings he does….is worth that money…he just isn’t…..but that doesn’t matter as much right now…it sure as hell did at the time but we never expected Subban to be this good, we never expected to get an Eller, we never expected the kids to improve, we never expected at the time for PLeks to sontinue to grow as a player…and grow he has.  the move itself…..horrid….the teams results since then…stellar….does the Gomez move deserve the credit eitehr way…not really as it is a team sport and that move was just one of many…..when isolated I tend to think it sucks donkey arse….but now seeing the whole recreation of the squad…I am qutie impressed so I just accept it as a cost of doing sbusiness….the business of rebuilding the team on the fly…and that job has been rather well done…better than I thought possible on June 30th.

184. Storm Man says:

Bertrand Raymond says no deal, Brinkley is not french.

185. TomNickle says:

Acquiring Gomez was a stop gap measure.  No fluke that they selected Leblanc less than a week before trading for him.

186. krob1000 says:

Hossa…would still love to have him…and at the time of that deal…i think it would have bought us a trip to the finals…I am 99 percent convinced tf that…and Gasiney was too….he thought he made the deal but Mario wouldn’t get off the phone with Waddell so Waddell had no choice at that point…..Hossa I would have done. Vinny…at the time nobody could have predicted Gorges would be waht he is, Pleks was struggling statistically but was doing everything else great,and Subban was a wildcard…..Price was never part of it as far as I new…if no cap restrictions…at the time I probably would have done it…..but with his cap hit/injuryies starting it was too much but management still tried to make a deal of some sort.  Pronger is a beast….and is IMO in NHL playoff play as sure thing as there is …he alone is good for 2 or 3 playoff wins IMO…he is a beast…..a ferocious, gigantic, smart, dirty beast…..Briere…..also beat us.  The only guy on that list that didn’t make it further than our teams is Vinny….Briere has beat us out twice, Pronger last year, Hossa has been in the finals 3 years running…..

187. TripleX says:

You stated that Gomez earns his salary since he AVERAGES 73 points a season.  In 10 NHL seasons he has had THREE seasons at 73 points or better.  Just saying.

If Gomez EVER scores 73 pts. in Montreal I would be ecstatic.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

188. habfan53 says:

This is the first and LAST time i hope to get into the Halak vs Price issue . What I will try to do is put into a little perspective of one recent case and one from a time long ago.

First case:  During the 1996-97 season Montreal played 5 goaltenders They traded the one with only 20 minutes experience they kept: Jose Theodore, Pat Jablonski, Pierre Sevigny and Jocelyn Thibeault.  The next year we had Theodore, Thibeault and Andy Moog.     The goalie let go    Tomas Vokoun

Second case: During the 69-70 season Montreal has just come off their 4 th straight Stanley Cup win they have 2 holdovers in net Vachon and Worsley and a young rookie . MONTREAL misses the playoffs and lose the rookie goalie and I mean LOSE they got NOTHING in return, the goalie was Tony Esposito and the General Manager was SAM POLLOCK arguably the best G.M. ever  Bye the way they kept Phil Myre over Espo as well.

Would Montreal have dominated the late ’70’s with Esposito instead of Dryden  maybe

All I’m saying is that  you don’t know until everything is written.

189. TomNickle says:

I agree with Hossa.  Great player.  Finally showed up in the playoffs.

I wouldn’t do a deal for any of the others.  Brad Richards I would pull the trigger on too and I’m on record saying the only way the Gomez deal is bad is if we could’ve had Brad Richards instead.

Higgins is simply a bum, Valentenko won’t make it and McDonagh could be David Fischer.

If we had given up picks, I would have a problem.  Sather got hosed.  I’d much rather have Gomez than Drury.

190. habfan53 says:

Sorry you got it wrong    it WAS Rejean Tremblay that said no deal because she was’nt French

191. CanadienBoy says:

Hossa is hurt again ,Plek. is just coming on i am glad we did not trade him for keep braking Hossa.

192. Storm Man says:

Same family tree.

193. krob1000 says:

Hossa since that trade has been to three finals in a row with 3 diff’t teams…..so not sure a 2 week injury means that much….but ok. Hossa has endured 3 straight seasons with 4 rounds of playoffs….pretty impressive bud

194. OverseasFan says:

The word “Halak” has been used 34 times on this comments page — and I’m just looking at one page out of 5 on this thread.

We all miss him, but he’s gone already. Let him go.

Being here is like listening to some boy whine about a hot ex-girlfriend who’s left him!

Forget Halak for now. How about discussing Price? Or even Auld — you know, the guy who will be in the net for us tonight?

Go Habs go!

195. TomNickle says:

I don’t miss him.  He wanted out, so he’s gone.  End of story.

196. matraque says:

He never asked for a trade per say…

He said he wanted to be a no 1 goalie and wanted to play.

It’s like you aren’t accepting the fact that he brought us to the final conference and stole tons of games during the playoffs

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

197. Slovak says:

For Tom…I will be around until you admit Halak is next Roy…:)

“I was sitting in the first row last night and let me tell you that it was one of the best hockey games I’ve ever been to. Tight checking defense at its finest, neither team could penetrate the other’s system to generate a lot of good scoring chances all night. Even when they did the two goaltenders were there standing on their heads. Halak was perfect, there is no other word I could use to describe his play. Johnson wasn’t as good overall but still got the job done, he cannot be faulted for the OT winning goal.

The Blues have something special going for them this year, their defensive system is brutal to play against and Halak is the real deal in net. Up front they have a great core of young players that generate tons of energy and bust their asses to make plays happen. Frankly I’m happy we got a point last night, there is no shame in losing in a battle of attrition when the other side is clicking in every way.”

198. TomNickle says:

That person has limited hockey experience Slovak.

Like I said before, I watched that game as did many others here.  Exciting is something it was not.

I’ll admit that Halak is as much of a team player that Roy was.  How’s that?

199. TripleX says:

I think Halak is a good goalie and has the potential to be very good and perhaps lead a team to the Cup.  I guess I have always appreciated the underdog who can overcome situations and maximize his abilities, through the shear strength of his mental toughness.  I like him and will always folllow his exploits and make no apologies for it.

I think Price is a good goalie and has the unlimited physical gifts to be something very special.  I was a bit sour on Price because I perceived special treatment and a player who was a bit lazy and unappreciative of his gifts.  Having said that I  believe he has matured a great deal and will have a tremendous career.  If Price can harness his talents he can be one of the greats.

I always said trading Halak and keeping Price was the smart move and that won’t change.  This is not as much a Halak vs Price thing, as some people make it out to be.

oops major error….now corrected LOL

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

200. TomNickle says:

His agent said more ice time or a trade.  That’s an ultimatum wherein the consequence is a refusal to play.

Counterproductive to a team philosophy.  I don’t see Lars Eller, Benoit Pouliot, Dustin Boyd and Ryan O’Byrne having their agents request trades.

201. Gil says:

If he was perfect he wouldn’t have let in the OT goal…or any goal 😛

202. Bugs says:

How about “management didn’t want Halak to be the num1 goalie despite outplaying their thoroughbred and so traded him for peanuts” end of story?

Why can’t we do THAT end of story instead?

…halak wanted out and that’s why he’s gone…

That’s not why “he’s gone”, Tommy. Don’t take us for fools, please.

Decadently yours, I recline as

203. TomNickle says:

Ok Tony……I mean Bugs.

So management wanted Halak gone before he requested a trade at this time last season?

Take the hook out of your mouth.  Alan Walsh has you reeled in pretty well doesn’t he Bugs.

204. TripleX says:

That same agent is making similar comments with regards to Martin Havlat dude.  Why do you insist on stating it was Halak who got his agent to make the request?  So Havlat is a bad egg and should be traded as well?

How do you know it was an ultimatum not to play?  That would be an unreasonable demand for a player under contract.  How do you know what any player requests of his agent?  That really is garbage and pure inflammatory speculation.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

205. SLONCOLD says:

i’m sure u wished obyrne’s agent asked of a trade:-p

206. TomNickle says:

The player is the agents’ employer.

That’s why.

207. TomNickle says:

Don’t have to wish for that one Mike, it’s coming anyway.

208. TripleX says:

Forget it Bugs.  Tom has the same emotions based and unreasonable hate on for Halak, that he accuses others as having for Price and Gomez.

He has been stating as fact the same baseless claim that Halak demanded a trade since last season.  He thinks management traded Halak to do him a favour.  :)

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

209. Slovak says:

Nice try but not enoug Tom :) By the way this comment is from Pens fan commenting Blues VS Pens game…

Respect your knowledge about hockey, you are an intelligent person… and that is why there will be a moment when even you will admit “halak is a monster” – I mean Price is good but halak is something else…

On another note – It is fun to watch habs offence – fast and smart are right words to describe it, I have great time watching them. Price is good but he is also a little lucky they are able to score more goals than oponents – habs VS Islanders is a prime example. I have strange feeling blues and habs will meet in playoffs…

210. SLONCOLD says:

the way i see it is the story was told to rue frontnac from gainey. Walsh made no direct mention to the public prior, although we all new what he was thinking.

imo, the only was price got shipped out last year instead of halak is if the return on price was extremly high; like immediate impact player with a high draft pick.

211. matraque says:

I would be interested to read that somewhere… care to share that?

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

212. G-Man says:

No point spitting against the wind- all you end up with is a mess. Besides, with all that wind howling, I am not sure the one intended to hear will. Or that he will listen at all.

213. notbigbird says:

Halak-Gomez, Gomez-Halak

Blah freaking blah.

It really gets tired.

214. Bugs says:

You mean, “requested a trade in DECEMBER when he had a winning record but Price was STILL in net losing every game” this time last season?

And forgetting the “NEVER requested a trade AFTER he was FINALLY given the num1 job he dutifully DESERVED and which management had been ROBBING him of” in January? A full 5 months of HEROICS before he was traded for peanuts in order to stake Carey at the job? That part doesn’t matter, right? No, it all boils down to “Halak wanted out and that’s why he’s gone”, right? Phew! Good thing we got rid of’m, eh? He never woulda given us his all, cuz he wanted out, yes? He hated it here. For no particular reason, he just hated it here. Especially after he was finally given num1 duties, boy, did he hate that.

Please, Tommy. C’mon.

And what’s with the suddenly trite and juvenile “Tony… I mean Bugs” bullspit? You’re better than that, Tommy, aren’t you? You’ve always played fair and square so far in our debates; so please don’t be like that. I get enough childish retorts from other posters as is. So, please, ok? Thanks.

Decadently yours, I recline as

215. mike g says:

Halak is next Roy?

Ok seriously kid, what the f’uk are you saying? Do you even watch hockey, do you even know who Patrick Roy is and what he did in his career?

4 Stanley Cups my friend, something Jaro and no other goalie in the next 20 year will do. With the salary cap and 30 teams, 1 goaltender will not win 4 Cups in his career.

Remember how good Halak was last playoffs? Well, just to let you know if Roy was there we probably win the Cup, because Roy doesn’t fall apart in the Flyers series.

Patrick Roy is a legend, arguably the best goalie ever. Be very careful how you throw around his name.

Childish to have him and Halak in the same comparison. Childish…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

You are simplifying things and it’s disingenious. The Habs got more than peanuts. I supposed Halak was worth Kopitar or Crosby or Malkin, maybe Carter or Richards. Get real. Sometimes you come off as an intellectual simpleton.

The Halak trade got the Habs Eller and Schultz. Eller is still young and raw but he’s looking like he can moulded into being a very good centre for the Habs, definitely top 6. The Habs got a 1st and a 3rd pick for a 9th pick. And they have the best once a goalie prospect now a young netminder in the league. Your colourful banter is fluff. No substance.

The only time you actually come up with a half decent argument is when your are defending French.

217. Say Ash says:

Well said. I’d add that Roy is the only three-time Conn Smythe winner. That’s three more than Brodeur, who’s considered the greatest goalie by crazy people.

218. mike g says:

Yup, nice addition to my argument….

Though I think it shows just how bright this fella is when we have to explain to someone why they shouldn’t compare a HOF legend to….Halak.

But anyways…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

219. Slovak says:

Well we will see… but you know what – on the begining of everything what turned to be extraordinary, there were some people saying: it is impossible, it is childis to think it, it will never happen, there are too many obstacles etc. I simply believe we see that extraordinary begining based on my subjective observations of Jaro´s play…

PS: I did put a smile beind the sentence about Roy in my first post… of course Roy is only one…

220. SeriousFan09 says:

You’re referencing Bleacher Report? Do you have any idea how many plagarists and absolute homers write those articles? It’s not a professional site by any means, I can be a contributor tommorow without any creentials.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

221. RiverviewCanadien says:

Just to start an argument with Mike G. Yes I guess that is trolling, but hey, it is on the site day-in and day-out. I think Boone even does it since he posted the stats of Halak.

I don’t cheer for the Flyers you child..

Habs are my team, and I follow Philly cuz of my favorite player Mike Richards.

I watch Philly’s games when I can, and I shut my mouth.

Now go drink milk from ur mom, ok.

I thought everyone knows that the Flyers are your 2nd team, and seriously how old are you?

Anyways show me where I have said Halak is better than Price

The problem I have is that because Halak is some people’s fav player, they are crucified for it on this site, or for even mentioning his name (they are told to go to the St.Louis page and cheer), maybe that is because Jaro is doing great and people are still afraid he will have better stats than Price? I don’t know and I don’t care, because Price is playing great and the team is winning.

But seems you are allowed to have Richards as your fav and are not ridiculed for it, why is that? Maybe you should go to the Flyers forums? Make sense?

222. mike g says:

No it doesn’t make sense…

95% of the time people post something including “Halak” in it, it’s either to troll or to fuel an argument. It’s a topic of converstaion that never ends well, and all it does is create pages and pages of garbage on HIO.

This place is a great site. There’s no need to always have to read about how Jaro this and Jaro that. If people wanna bring it up occasionally, fine. Everything in moderation is and should be accepted…

But that’s not the case right now. People on this site have a privilege, and they abuse it. Were allowed to post for free, and write wtv we want. And because of that, everything involving Jaro wastes pages of our time.

And notice how I’ll never bring up my favorite player or the Flyers. Never, unless someone is talking about a Flyers issue already or about our series with them last year. Why?, well because I know that you guys would rather talk about the Habs cuz that’s who we really love deep down inside. There’s no need for me to come here and say that their whole team is better than Gomez, and that Richards is gonna smash this and that. Nope.

I’d rather talk about Pleks, Price, Cammy, or whoever. But it’s enough with the useless Jaro talk. We know he’s good, we know. No need to keep on bringing him up.

If this site would’ve existed when we traded Roy, would we have posted comments about Patrick winning 80% of his starts with the Avalanche, and 2 Stanley Cups?

I don’t think so.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

223. Bugs says:

Eller might be “looking like he can moulded into being a very good centre for the Habs” but Halak is an NHL num1 NOW. So that “in the future” doesnt mean doodly-squat no matter how you wanna interpret it. Two or four or 18 bathplugs doesn’t equal an all-world NHL num1 goalie, whether an “intellectual simpleton” (oxymoron there) says it or not.

Why couldn’t we ask for Brassard or one of their REAL defensive “prospects” instead of a kid we never heard of 4 months ago? “Whoa, hey, whoa, Halak isn’t as good as Derrick Brassard?” Bullspit. There’s your “fluff” right there. Eller equal value for Halak…please.

When we traded Roy, we shoulda asked for equal value THEN too and asked for Sakic. But hey, Rucinsky sure “moulded himself into being a very good palyer for the Habs” though, no? And that’s what counts the most.

Another fair deal that one too then?

We got peanuts in the Halak trade because we didn’t want to haggle; we just wanted to give the num1 spot to Price. Eller, Shmoe, or Billy Cotton-picker wouldn’t’ve made no difference.

Decadently yours, I recline as

224. Everlasting1 says:

You like A Flyer who isn’t an ex-Hab?? A good ole fashion draconian beheading among a throng of hab fans looking on is in order hehe.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

225. LA Loyalist says:

Roy is unique, no one is arguing that and that horrific trade has cursed us to this very day. I can still see him chewing out Ron Corey in front of my eyes like it was 5 minutes ago.

But to say that Halak “fell apart” in the Philly Series is right out of the PriceBot(tm) handbook from last summer page 13. (I bought one on EBay).

There are 3 main reasons we lost to Philly.

1. Everyone was just gassed from 2 brutal 7 game series, that’s at least 2/3 of the reason, and we were not a deep team (and still aren’t).

2. Halak was getting run and screened by large tough Philly players who actually know where the net is, unlike most (not all) of our forwards who think “net” is what you have left after Quebec taxes (did you know Gomez is “zemoG” spelled backwards?)

3. No Markov, and no Rick Green/Larry Robinson type who would leave anyone who messed with our goalie up against the boards like an extra coat of paint wondering what hit them.

Certainly Price has an advantage in games like that as he is bigger and possibly crankier, but to say Halak “fall apart” is utterly inaccurate.

As to how Halak will do, well, he’s just run 2 shut outs in a row, so you might want to actually let the cards get dealt before you make your bets.

As for the Habs, we are doing pretty well, beating the teams we have to beat. But the Islanders in October are not the Phlyers in April, we are still too small and too soft to play a team like Philly and beat them 4 times out of 7.

And there’s no reason to insult the guy for having an opinion. You wouldn’t like it, would you?

“Preparez vos mouchoirs”

226. LA Loyalist says:

The reason Price/Halak will continue to be a topic even if Price does great, is that the better Halak does the more we will scrutinize Eller, for whom he was traded.

And obviously that won’t be answered for a while yet.

So settle in for a long winter’s night :) watching hockey! That’s what we waited all summer for, right?

227. HFX-HabFan says:

It would have been hard to ask St. Louis to give us Brassard, considering he plays for the Blue Jackets.

228. Bugs says:

Sorry, I meant David Perron.

Decadently yours, I recline as

229. HFX-HabFan says:

Eller was one of the best rookies in the AHL last season (not to mention a first-rounder in ’07 and along with Boedker the finest offensive prospect to come out of Denmark); if you hadn’t heard of him before last season, that’s your own fault.

230. LNev says:

Ya, but who hired the coach?

This thing goes right to the top!

Why not? You do all the time. In a vain attempt to slag the Habs.

232. SLONCOLD says:

lol he can’t handle a heavy workload? really? seemed fine to me in the playoffs. but then again you’re of the type that if a goalie has a bad game he must be tired right?

233. TomNickle says:

Seemed to be fine in the playoffs.

Mike…..what happened to Halak at the end of the regular season, Olympics and playoffs.

The argument that he wears down is very justified.

234. TripleX says:

That could easily be stated as true for Montreal as well.  I am holding off speculating just how good this team and Carey are until that first big Western swing.  See how they do against the BIG BOYS.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

235. SLONCOLD says:

thought it was a team game Tom? Do u expect a goalie to steal every game? having a bad game is not an indication that a goalie is tired; been something the media just ran with and it has stayed. if price loses 2 or 3 in a row are we going to say it’s beacause he’s playing 9out of ten games? Price has only played 50+ games in teh nhl once (twice in the ahl) how do we know he won’t tire out?

236. TripleX says:

Then the observation that Price is weak to the high shot to his glove side is just as valid.  Perhaps even more so since your arguement on Halak is based on ONE season.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

237. TomNickle says:

We don’t know.

238. TomNickle says:

Price has issues with his glove side.  He’s got great quickness but has trouble squeezing it.

Just like Halak is down too early on almost every shot.  Flyers were able to exploit that obviously.

239. SLONCOLD says:

i always hated that line. “he is weak on high shots” lol that’s how u BEAT ALL GOALIES. lol

shooters rarely shoot to open areas on a goalie( if they do it’s usually a goal). a good goalie generally covers the bottom of teh net very well and with proper angles, the side and top part of the net too.  so shooters shoot to spots that will open up as the goalie goes down in the butterfly position

240. habfan53 says:

Price NEVER played 50 games in a season in the AHL as a matter of fact he has only played a total of 34 games in the AHL of which 22 are in the playoffs.

241. TomNickle says:

“The Perfect Shot”

Is a shot that goes overtop of the goalies’ shoulder around the collarbone area.  Impossible to stop for a goalie from 15 feet in or so.

242. SLONCOLD says:

especially on the blocker side

243. SLONCOLD says:

my mistake i meant in the juniors with tri-city