A Habs-free Saturday night

What to do?

PVRed Canadiens games?

• Gorges calls road trip “come together time”

Canadiens a dirty team?

Red Fisher on the Caps’ woes

Red’s notebook

Anti-Habs bias on HNIC

• Stu Cowan on flamboyant hockey

• Sean Gordon on the art of winning faceoffs

• Eric Duhatschek on Ovechkin’s leadership test

• Pierre LeBrun’s Top 10 Trade Bait

1. J Haul says:

You can keep up the condescending schtick as much as you like, but it must be stated that just because you aggresively imply something to be true doesn’t make that the case. Nothing has been proven, other than the fact that you’ll skirt around an issue by going on the attack with “witty” wordplay.

You talk of logic and then ramble on in nonsensical prose, hurling insults along the way. Where’s the logic in that? It’s getting old Bugs, but as I’ve already said, I don’t care enough about what you think about me personally to let it bother me. Keep up the great work.

I made a simple statement in response to a question posted on an open forum. You didn’t like my take on the issue and look at the huge issue you’ve turned it into. People aren’t always going to say what you want to hear. Get over it, much like I’m over with this conversation.

2. Bugs says:

Yeah, it COULD be considered trolling, Jay, that is, if one didn’t know what the word “trolling” meant, sure.

It could also be considered, say, “spellunking”, if one didn’t know what that word meant either.

But to those who DO know what those words mean and how to apply them, uhh, no, the manner of my posts could never be considered to be trolling (or spellunking). So hopefully, this is a case of you not knowing how to apply a proper word instead of a case of desperate name-calling to support your (proven) illogical initial post.

If it’s the former, I forgive you cuz that’s the school system’s fault and not yours; if it’s the latter, well then, I know where you stand, don’t I?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. J Haul says:

…and posting in the manner you did could be considered trolling, that is, if I didn’t already take certain posts with a grain of salt. No reason to get huffy with me because you haven’t learned the rules of posting here.

(chuckle chuckle chuckle)

FYI, there’s no “Jay” in my name. Thanks though.

4. Bugs says:

Your logic fails to hold up again, Jay. This post would’ve been deleted too if your proposition held any water.

Keep chuckin, ok? Somethin’ bound to stick someday.

(chuckle) …over and over…yeah, TWICE. Nicely done, Jay.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

5. Exit716 says:

PJ Stock doesn’t have the talent to be on the air, outside of taking someone’s order at a drive-thru. He stammers and stumbles on the air like some nervous kid in first semester at some broadcasting college. He hasn’t progressed as a broadcaster and doesn’t really have any talent or ability that would warrant him having that CBC position. There are probably a good 500 or so other people in Canada that could easily fill his role that have honed their craft professionally, but are being ignored because PJ allegedly had an NHL career. The fact he still is employed there despite his complete lack of talent is an absolute embarrassment to the CBC which used to have high professional and ethical standards. In short, he should be fired for his lack of ability.

6. J Haul says:

Likely because posting the same thing over and over is considered spamming in some circles.

7. ClaytonM says:

One can only dream of having the same quality broadcasting for HNIC as we get from The Passionate Eye. That’s the Gold Standard for journalism.

By the by, whatever happened to the CBC not showing commercials due to their public funding? Did that last even a year?

8. Hagar says:

Once Scotty nails 113 pts, he’s my new favourite Hab.

9. Bugs says:

Peejay is more a mischievous spit-disturber with a bit of a (understandable?) gripe against the organization than a die-hard hater, I think.

Milbury has pictures of somebody. Honestly, I…I don’t know. It’s the only…I mean…gotta be. Cuz…dang.

Just to be clear, since I was never no geolotician but Boston is in the US and Montreal is in Canada, right? Will NESN be inviting Guy Lafleur and Guy Carbonneau to do THEIR games? How does this work is what I wanna know.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

10. DearyLeary says:

Watch at around 18 minutes in, just after Cooke shaves his moustache off.

11. Bugs says:

You think Cherry’s suits come off the rack???

Custom-made, tailor-fitted, buddy.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

12. CHsam says:

you know? I used to have sympathy for the CBC’s cause.. but they’ve managed to shoot themselves in the foot with mistake after mistake.. Including things like the Anthem.. and changing CBC Radio 2’s programming… and forever Don Cherry and his preaching pulpit….. so when Stephen Harper comes running threatening to cut the CBC and scaring the crap out of them, I’m actually not so sympathetic…..

Comments using the words ‘cockroaches’ should be reserved for criminals, not talented hockey individuals who play with an ethic to win.

13. adam76 says:

The CBC cost 2 billion dollars a year to run.  Unreal.

14. Johnny_D says:

Absolute hooray for Boone’s article about the disgusting CBC conduct during the last Habs game.

15. Bugs says:

Guy doesn’t get a fair shake seems like sometimes, but numbers don’t lie.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

16. Hammer says:

I remember Guy firing at that Block head, as I was actually watching the game! The only problem is that he missed ( on purpose). As for Stock, useless as a player a piece of garbage as a commentator.

17. _Habsoloutly_ says:

He has a tramp stamp?

18. bigjames says:

actually i think i hate nesn more then the bruins themselves! i lived in boston for 3 years and was disgusted by them. derek sanderson…omg!

19. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Thank you for the great article Mike =)

20. punkster says:

I, for one, am happy to see at least one media outlet reporting on the stunning reversal of fortunes for Gomez. Those projected year end numbers are nothing short of astounding! Great work by the boys in the basement Bugs.

21. punkster says:

Enjoyable read Mike.

(Aside: I’m not an anti-CBCer though I cannot stand the HNIC broadcasts. Their news programmes are good and CBC2 radio is excellent.)

22. novahab says:

I will certainly write thanks for the link.

23. Mattyleg says:

Sock it to ’em Booner, I wrote my email to David Masse complaining about Milbury.

I didn’t talk about their bias, just about Milbury’s ‘crazed-hockey-dad’ attitude, and what a bad example he is.

Anyone else want to put in their two cents and put pressure on the Ceeb, write to david.masse@cbc.ca

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I will certainly join the chorus of those who approve of Boone’s article. Well played sir. I got a great kick out of reading it.

25. DearyLeary says:

Ovie’s got a lower back tatoo!!! hahahahah

26. Jbird says:

They also now have it on NHL.com

27. ooder says:

yo Booner… great article!

88 is the new 23

28. Danno says:

Note to Milbury. Daffy said it best.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

29. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Living in the States, I rarely get an RDS broadcast (only 2 this year, both 3-0 losses, odd.)  Most of my hockey is provided by HNIC or FS.  I think Carolina does a decent job.  NESN is embarrassing as was NESN North during the last Bruins game.

Well done Boone for calling it out.

30. thorandresson says:

Great article Boone!

31. Mattyleg says:

The worst thing about this whole ‘dirty’ thing is that it shows how poor the Booins are at analysing themselves.

They weren’t skating on Thursday night. They were all standing around watching us skate circles around them.

It was funny to see, actually, and they looked like they were trapped in quicksand.

Then for them to turn around and blame US for their poor play shows a very immature attitude.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. sidhu says:

Gomez has hired soem WikiLeaks hackers to police the Habs I/O comments section

33. Rugger says:

Too many greats to just pick one side, Need to fit Dryden, Bobby Smith, Damphousse…even Richer for that 1-2 years.

34. Malreg says:

For any one who doesnt get HBO, the first full episode of 24/7 Penguins and Capitals is now on youtube.

35. idle says:

It is rather odd isn’t it.  You would think that if there was a Canadian team vs a non Canadian team they at least would be nutral if not supporting the Canadian team.

36. Bugs says:

Umm, anyone know why my Gomez post was deleted? Booner, what gives?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

37. DearyLeary says:

It’s still a publicly owned company.  You’d think their cheerleaders would at least cheer for a Canadian team.  Not so in CBC’s perverted dimension of reality.

38. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thank you.

39. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thanks, will definately be tossing back a few Black and Tans tonight.

40. N.B.habs fan says:

Happy birthday james may you and your wife have a great night..CHEERS!

41. idle says:

Have a happy B’day : )

42. habs001 says:

my line up for the habs if we can take players from 1976 to now…may not all be the best players but i believe would be a pretty good team

goal roy,price

d  robinson,savard,lapointe,markov,chelios,langway

f    shutt  lemaire  lafleur

gainey carbonneau tremblay

naslund plecks  cournoyer

camm  koivu  c. lemieux

many other considerations…

43. idle says:

@ Boone

The only problem I have with your article on the CBC is that you brought up the fact that the CBC is supported by taxpayer money.  Not true when it comes to it’s hockey telecast.  HNIC makes profits.  You could argue that it lessens the load that taxpayers pay because it brings more money into the network so less of a shortfall.

I’m not wanting to argue here whether we think there should be a public broadcaster but most fans who rant about the CBC on here act like the only thing they show is hockey and Little Mosque On The Prairie.  The benefit of the CBC is programs like Fifth Estate, Passionate Eye, the National and other more traditional journalism which may be more deserving of public money (more then hockey at least).

It’s easy to argue against publicly funded news but if the alternative is FOX or (closer to home) CTV then I’m not so sure the CBC is such a bad idea.

44. sidhu says:

Just read Boone’s excellent article on the lack of objectivity on the CBC broadcasts — the use of the words “buffoons” to describe Milbury and Stock could not be more accurate.  Keep it up, Boone!

45. tony d says:

Good article Mike on the HNIC bias, pathetic clowns for sure. As for the Boston paper calling our boys despicable, dirty and little, they got 2 out of 3 right. Sure we’re little by NHL standards, and the urban dictionary defines dirty as ‘sick’ or ‘awesome’ which we usually are (except on nights when we don’t play a full 60) But as for despicable, well that’s a taunt that’s usually reserved for Daffy Duck or any other whiny cartoon character.

46. sidhu says:

Good for OB — he’s playing lots and is +11 already with the Avs.

47. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sucks not having a habs game on a saturday night, but it’s my birthday, so going to go out for a nice dinner with my beautiful wife.  Then we are off to see Tron @ the Imax.

48. mon_chums says:

company party!

49. joeybarrie says:

To add to Smiler’s post below. I don’t know if it’s biased or if they are planning something. But if anyone has seen the HBO 24/7 on the Winter Classic, you probably noticed how GREAT the Pens come off, and how poorly the Caps come off. My wife was trying to figure out why the Caps seem to hate themselves and everything. But the Pens are looking great. I think as the Caps come back to winning HBO will show the other side to them as well, so it will be a fuzzy warm X-mas miracle for them….

But right now, they look pretty bad.

OH YEAH, Great article BOONE… Incredible how CBC ignores (trying to be nice) alot of its Canadian teams in preference for American teams, when the channel is supposed to be for THE PEOPLE of Canada.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. Number31 says:

I don’t mind biased commentary but not for a NATIONAL broadcast. You expect biased commentary if you’re watching NESN or FS(insertnamehere). The thing I do mind is when you have “the Bruins alumni” on Hockey Night in CANADA (not Boston) basically show their stripes and take it personal. It’s the national broadcast, and as a hockey “analyst” you need to take the objective equal view on the game. Kelly Hrudey at least does this…because he’s analyzing segments to show people how something happened and why. PJ Stock’s is more of an act, and he looked a little embarrased as the show went on, whether he has a grudge or not is semi-debatable as the Habs traded him for Gino Odjick (who is an awesome guy and I love what he does now with the kids from Native communities). But Bob Gainey already put him in his place once upon a time at some gala so whatever. Milbury, however, is a bitter tool angry the Canadiens had the Bruins number every single time. He results to name calling and insults, wants players to fight over clean hits (when many a panel agree that’s the stupidest thing ever) and to injure each other.

Now Brad May chimed in, basically repeating the same crap. This is the same guy who said Olivier Fortier should have been in the box for fighting because one of the three Marlies mauling him should have made him fight for going after a loose puck in the crease…like everyone is supposed to do when the puck is loose. Also laughable, Brad May said the Bruins have the Habs number. That was pretty hilarious. Tell that to any Bruins fan and they’d also laugh at that comment.

RDS (and the special TSN channel) is the official Habs broadcast, but even they are less biased than the CBC. (Actually their bias seems to be angled more towards Francophone players than just the Habs, which is OK considering it’s for the Francophone market despite how annoying it is to see them salivate over Briere, Giroux, and Bergeron).

If you look at NHLN On the Fly, they’re pretty balanced. Usually they focus on the team that wins the game in the end because their panel is on rapid-fire.

CBC kind of makes me wish we had Versus. Only just a little =p

51. NoTinFoilCups says:

Let  the CBC hang itself with its own rope. In the meantime I will be watching any other feed available.

52. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thats for sure. She probably has a higher IQ than those two schmucks combined.  I also wonder how the hell Milbury get’s away with that crap on a broadcaster that operates with Canadian tax funds.  I’m beginning to think they may be grooming Milbury to take over Cherry’s spot when the old coot finally get’s dragged off the air.

53. novahab says:

Well don’t give Milbury to much credit he not smart enough to think that up himself.  He got that from listening to Cherry and Richards.

54. DearyLeary says:

Probably scores higher on an IQ test to boot.

I mean… Millbury made no attempt to hide the fact that he wants people to premeditatedly attack an opposint player.  How on earth do you get away with that.

55. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I just sent the CBC an email saying I would rather they hire Maggie the monkey from TSN rather than Milbury and Stock.  I said even though she is from Toronto, she would have more professionalism and journalistic integrity when reporting on Habs related news than those two buffoons.

56. J Haul says:

It’s so nice to see someone other than disgruntled fans pointing out the HNIC deficiencies. Perhaps with members of the media calling them out they’ll finally be forced to at least pay attention. There’s no way the CBC can give the respected writers of a paper like the Gazette the same old BS form letter that they give every upset hockey fan. Good stuff Boone. Don’t let them off the hook!