A Grand Homecoming and a Questioned Suspension

The Canadiens home opener against the Lightning is perhaps the most compelling game on the NHL schedule tonight, in part because of the number of Quebec-born players on Tampa Bay, and in part because it’s the first visit to the Bell Centre by Guy Boucher (last year’s AHL Coach of the Year as boss of the Habs Hamilton team and a McGill grad) as an NHL head coach.

So in a St. Petersburg Times story that’s mostly about the Lightning’s Simon Gagne, Damian Cristodero quotes Renaud Lavoie of RDS saying, “There’s a lot of people saying
Tampa is the No. 2 team in Quebec. If (the game) turns ugly, the fans
could cheer for Tampa to put pressure on Montreal.”

In the Tampa Tribune, Erik Erlendsson talks about the media frenzy surrounding the Lightning’s visits to Montreal and quotes coach Guy Boucher saying, “I don’t want to make this a big fuss, I really have to focus our team
and our players. I think (the Canadiens organization)
are great people, they have given me a lot, it was the first
organization that gave me my first pro chance and I will always respect
that but at the same time I want to make sure I don’t focus on that
going into the game.’

Boucher’s innovative approach to guiding a hockey team is a theme of this
profile by Nick Williams in the Tampa Tribune
(one of many Boucher
has inspired for this game) in which he writes, “Since he stepped onto
the ice as the Lightning’s new coach, Guy Boucher
has preached to his players the importance of crowding the net to look
for deflections, tip-ins or rebound goals. With such a strong offensive
showing in Saturday’s 5-3 win against the
Thrashers, the Bolts proved they have absorbed and executed what their
coach is teaching.”

“Eighty percent of the goals come from the
involvement of defensemen,
whether it’s a shot, or pass, or rim or anything,” Boucher said. “We got
four of those five goals right off defensemen touching it. It’s exactly
my 80 percent (philosophy), so obviously the players see it, but
they’ve seen it before. They want it, they understand it, (and) it’s
just a question now of enforcing it and the players are enforcing it
right now.”

Cristodero in The St. Petersburg Times adds that Boucher preaches short shifts for his players, Forty five seconds is too long in his world. “I strongly believe that if you’re full-out out there for 30, 35
seconds, you’re dead (tired),” Boucher said. “So, if you’re having
one-minute shifts and 45-second shifts, it’s because you are not
(playing) full out.”

Any player or coach’s first game in Montreal can be overwhelming, but Boucher is quite familiar with this setting. In a story on NHL.com, Dan
Rosen
notes that Boucher is no Bell Centre
virgin, having coached the AHL Bulldogs here twice last season.
“There were 17,000 people there, so I kind of have a sense of how it’s
going to feel,” Boucher said. “I know the environment.”

Here’s the game preview from the Lightning’s website with the info that “Tampa Bay has gained points in eight of its last nine contests
against the Canadiens and has also gained points in three of its last
four games played in Montreal, posting a 2-1-1 record. Though the teams
have split their last eight meetings, Tampa Bay has lost once in
regulation during that span with a 5-3 defeat at Montreal on Mar. 9,
2010.”

*   *   *

The NHL suspended Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson two games for this hit from behind on the Sabres Jason Pominville (video) in Monday’s game. Pominville was stretchered off the ice and has been diagnosed with a concussion. His streak of 336 consecutive NHL games will end tonight when the Sabres play the Devils.

The Canadiens travel to Buffalo after tonight’s game and play the Sabres there on Friday.

Pominville is a big part of the Sabres special teams, quarterbacking their power play, a key penalty killer and a guy coach Lindy Ruff often put on the ice in the last minutes of periods. He’s also a top line forward. So Ruff is going to have to manipulate his personnel to fill those holes.

An emphatic Sabres goalie Ryan Miller reacted strongly to Hjalmarsson’s hit (audio, and it’s worth hearing the whole thing), calling for league action, saying, “It absolutely needs to be punished. I don’t care if
it’s unintentional. That’s what we have to get away from in hockey right
now. Its’ the culture of ‘I was trying to make a play, therefore it’s
not my fault.’

“A hockey hit is to separate a man from a puck, not anticipating the
puck getting there, hitting from behind and driving him into the boards.
You have two things right there; the puck wasn’t completely there, it
was anticipation of it, there was no separation, it was a hit from
behind.

“It’s completely something where I don’t even know if there was enough
made of it because Jason was walking out with just stitches. What if
Jason has a fractured neck? We don’t know if it’s going to have an
impact with concussions.

“I just think no matter how badly Hjalmarsson feels, no matter if it’s
unintentional, we have to change the culture of it if we’re ever going
to change the situations we’re seeing – with guys laying on the ice
bleeding and missing time with concussions.”

It raises the question of whether two games is enough of a punishment. “Personally I don’t think it is,” Ruff said earlier today (video). “If I had to play commissioner, I would have went more. Two games
isn’t a long time sitting in their case. They play a couple games this
week and it’s over in three days.”

Quoted in the Buffalo News (and on video) Miller was more diplomatic saying, “It’s good they did something about it. It does set some
sort of a tone. It’s some kind of discipline, a step towards making the
players responsible for decisions they make on the ice. We’ll see how it
unfolds in the coming weeks and months, if guys are really going to pay
attention to what they’re doing on the ice. “

For TSN’s Pierre McGuire, it was not enough. Speaking this morning on Ottawa radio Team 1200 (audio), McGuire said he was surprised it was only two games, but thinks that the league used the Alex Ovechkin hit last season on the Blackhawks Bryan Campbell (video) as a comparable and Ovechkin got two games for that one.

But McGuire expressed surprise that it was only two games and agreed with host John Rodenburg that a much stiffer punishment would be appropriate, suggesting 10 games would send the right message.

“It’s a different mentality they have in Hockey Operations,” he said. “I really can’t explain it. I don’t know.”

The Sabres and Blackhawks play again on Saturday in Chicago and Hjalmarsson will have served his time and be should be back in the lineup for that game.

“Each game has a new feeling to it,” Sabres captain Craig Rivet said in The Buffalo News. “I’m sure the next game
is going to be heated. The most important part is to get the two
points. We’ll see what happens.”

Miller added, “People will be talking about it and there will be some
emotion surrounding it but you’re not going to condone a donnybrook and
go old-school or whatever your guys are talking about. I’d like to
think the game has evolved a little bit.”

1. HabsProf says:

Don’t you mean the Nets-zsche?

(Groan.)

_____________________________________
    “Deserves” got nothin’ to do with it.

2. light_n_tasty says:

Jean Perron said on CBC radio a couple of weeks ago that Gagne’s agent asked Gauthier if there was a spot available for him on the Habs, as that was Gagne’s preferred place to play.  But Gauthier said there was no room because of the cap.

Don’t know about the other two.

3. nunacanadien says:

Lecav and Gagne would be great with Cammy though….

4. sholi2000.com says:

Now I have to look for puck’s picture lol!

They Call Me Shane

5. Bob Barker says:

Some have called him the Nietzsche of the hockey world.

6. Bob Barker says:

Lecavalier > Gomez

Cammalleri >>> Gagne

St-Louis > Gionta

If Lecavalier wasn’t signed until 2110 I probably would.

St-Louis is a lock for point-per-game +.

I think Lecavalier will crack 80 points this year.

Cammalleri is the only one of the three Habs mentioned that I see putting up more than 70 points.

7. Chuck says:

Hey, I didn’t say that I’d eat there sober.

If Schwartz’s was a convenient walk (stumble) from my hotel and was open at 4am, I’d be the first in line!

8. Say Ash says:

Really? That’d be the reason? Because Boucher in his third game ever was a wizard?

9. SeriousFan09 says:

The guy is a fan of the team that worked the hardest to drive interest away from the NHL, not hard to dislike his opinions at times.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. andrewberkshire says:

Well Wyshynski looks like Patton Oswalt so he’s definitely never played hockey before.

11. sholi2000.com says:

Question should be.  Would those three in TB play here?  I believe the answer is no.  :)

They Call Me Shane

12. sholi2000.com says:

I listen to him on XM ch 204, he just grinds my gears with his one way opinion.  I bet he never played a game of hockey in his life.

They Call Me Shane

13. HFX-HabFan says:

Too much Devils/Caps/Penguins focus a lot of the time; it’s basically the NHL on NBC in blog form.

14. VancouverHab says:

Brilliant way to phrase that.

(That’s HI/O-speak for “I agree entirely with what you wrote & wish I’d said it myself.)

15. HFX-HabFan says:

No worries, I only skimmed it myself!  It was Habs-related though, so I thought some here might be interested.

As SF09 mentioned, Puck Daddy is only good for the Puck Headlines (though Twitter is a way better way to keep track of the best bloggers/writers out there), and Bourne is kind of like Engels is to Eklund’s crap site.

Besides being a Devils fan, Wyshynski’s a Yank, and they can’t write about hockey as well as Canadians, can they?  ;)

16. Man Dingga says:

Looking forward to a great game tonight.  Would be a great win for many reasons but if we lose I believe it will be due to being out coached.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Puck Headlines provides some good daily links I find and Justin Bourne gives a great, frank inside view of hockey player life in his pieces for them. His Devils homerism is a bit much at times but they are generally a well-balanced group.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. sholi2000.com says:

Puck Daddy is the biggest NYPOS there is!  There’s a reason he writes for yahoo, because he is one.

He’s a devils fan I believe, and normally has nothing good to write about in Mtl.  So I decline your offer to read the link :)

They Call Me Shane

19. adam76 says:

I love being right – only one to take laps.

20. sholi2000.com says:

Get Center Ice Ian!  You’ll never leave your house again haha.

2.43/Habs game, you can’t beat that.

They Call Me Shane

21. krob1000 says:

This article just had me dreaming of ultimate hockey irony….if there are hockey Gods this will happen….how great would it be if the Tampa Bay Lightning franchise had to fold and …moved to Quebec.  All those Franco stars pretending after they sign elswhere that they really wanted to play in Quebec …Vinny having an NTC in Quebec, all those players going from no income taxes to the belly of the tax beast in Quebec.    Ahhhh……what a day for a day dream….

22. habrez says:

I bet this has been asked before but I wonder how many people on this site would trade straight up Cammalerri, Gionta and Gomez (18.3 million/year) for Lecavalier, Gagne and St Louis (18.6 mil) at their current contracts.

I wouldn’t.

23. JD_ says:

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck…

The only thing smoky about Dunn’s “smoked meat” is whatever’s spewin’ out the stack at the Dow chemical plant.

It’s Schwartz’s or nothin’, man.

C’mon.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Boucher’s innovative approach to guiding a hockey team is a theme of this
    profile by Nick Williams in the Tampa Tribune
    (one of many Boucher
    has inspired for this game) in which he writes, “Since he stepped onto
    the ice as the Lightning’s new coach, Guy Boucher
    has preached to his players the importance of crowding the net to look
    for deflections, tip-ins or rebound goals

Hold on. That’s his big innovation? Going to the net?

Ladies and Gentleman. A Genius!

25. Mark C says:

Don’t worry too much, all teams preach short shifts. Plus, his players didn’t seem to listen during the first game, as not one forward averaged less than 36 seconds per shirt, and the big four averaged between 48-51 seconds a shift.

26. Chuck says:

I love going to Dunn’s after a late night bender. There’s nothing like sopping up the extra alcohol with a pound of smoked meat at 4am!

27. _Habsoloutly_ says:

too late,  i’ve already paid for it.

28. observer says:

Canadiens win 5-2 or 5-3 tonight.

29. nickster13 says:

damn the thing about Boucher making his guys work their butts off for 35 second shifts just scares me, if they drive like boucher wants them too, im afraid, since i then think about jacques martin’s coaching style

30. oshawahabsfan says:

I just got a rogers box this week and centre ice has a free preview this month, it should be viewable tonight

I get it here free until Oct 23rd. Boone put me onto it, he gets it in Mtl also I guess. Everywhere I think, it is a promotion.

32. Kooch7800 says:

on Rogers?

CENTER ICE PKG. IS FREE TONIGHT FOLKS<!

34. fbkj says:

not a fan of dunn’s but anybody else at work salivating over the burger in the ad?

35. Kooch7800 says:

I hope Price shuts the door tonight and we finally get our power play rolling.  It will be a tough game tonight but I think we can do it.

Tampa has no goaltending and there Defense is not that great.  They just have a lot of power up front.

36. Barts says:

Ha! Thanks for the laugh… well done.

37. newbrunswick troy says:

Ya but your arm-pits still stink!!!!!

joking…great post, thats funny like when my dog runs his ass across the carpet, and my wife freaks out!!!just pricless

38. newbrunswick troy says:

Well said young Mikey>>>>I as well am a big habs fan…and am only able to speak english!!that being said i personaly have loved many french, euopeans,and russian hockey players over the years for the habs….they didn,t have to be english for me to like them…THEY JUST HAD TO WEAR THAT C.H

All that said i do realise its only natural that minorty culture (french) in a big vast land like Canada , is going to naturaly want to preserve its roots!!!!!this is not only the case with french hockey….ask the Jewish community or Muslims, ETC, ETC

39. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That’s beyond stupid. Yeah, let’s get Briere over Cammalleri and Gagne over Gionta.

When will SOME fans realize that ethnicity is not important. A team full of French players won’t help us win a cup.

I have nothing against French players, but it’s like saying an all around Russian team is what we need to win a cup.

40. Mikey_39 says:

I was reading some of the comments on the RDS site, and I can’t believe how ignorant and pathetic some people are.  They call themselves HAbs fans, but when a few Quebec players role into town, they support the Bolts? These people are so desperate for french players, and personally I can’t understand how they could only be faithful to their team if they’re predominantly francophones.

41. TomNickle says:

I would expect so.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

I was at one of those games, it was pretty mild compared to a Habs game’s volume.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. spoonfullofjelly says:

Forget about that. We should have just swipped Babcock straight out of McGill.

44. spoonfullofjelly says:

I’m not going to lie I don’t like JM. Borng hockey.

To tell you the truth I don’t know if Guy Boucher is a good coach or not. But I like the mans theories.

45. surprise says:

WOW!! that was hilarious! hahahahaahha

You took a commercial.. and then instead of the real words you put in words about a message board!

brilliant!

Just look around the league and count how many Managers and Coaches came through our Franchise.

47. TomNickle says:

I love how Boucher says that he’ll be ready for the environment because he coached the Bulldogs at the Bell Centre last season in front of 17,000 people.

If the Habs were your team growing up and you took the Hamilton job in hopes of landing the Habs job, and you come to the Bell Centre to face the team who gave you a professional start as a Head coach for the first time.

There’s nothing you can do to be prepared for the buildup to that game and for the environment you’re going to be in when that game starts.

The butterflies must be pretty surreal for Boucher right now and the weight of the world is on his shoulders.

This is going to be a good game.

48. Mikey_39 says:

loll, now that’s a clever post

49. surprise says:

50. light_n_tasty says:

Here’s another repost (not mine) that suits yours perfectly:

Look at your Post. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn’t mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate crap it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re scrolling through posts, finding the ones that your post could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It’s a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY POST IS NOW DIAMONDS. Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. I’m on a computer.

51. habfan53 says:

I take anything Perron says with a grain of salt  about as credible as Rejean Tremblay.

52. TheDagger says:

Yes, we all saw that last time you posted it.  Good for you.

53. light_n_tasty says:

I remember near the beginning of December last year you even began to promote “tanking”.  Those were dark days indeed.

54. light_n_tasty says:

Be careful.  I was recently lambasted for questioning the change in attitude with respect to Mr. Boucher.  Same applies with respect to Cedric Desjardins.

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Your girlfriend when you started dating compared to your girlfriend after she dumped you.

(Not you specifically you understand.)

56. surprise says:

I can’t wait to cheer for our hometown heroes.. the Bolts.

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Shiny new toy symptom with Habs fans, last coach/GM sucked, the new guy could be a ton better. Went through a hard season last year and everyone wanted a quick-fix solution (including myself).

I think Boucher can be a very good coach in the NHL, maybe great but I think he’s getting blown out of proportion for suddenly being able to mold TB into a Top 10 NHL squad.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

58. sholi2000.com says:

Interesting.

They Call Me Shane

59. sholi2000.com says:

I would have to say it’s the “enemy factor”.  He’s not a Hab anymore.  Personally I could care less about him either way.  I never followed him when he was a part of the org, and now he’s a Lightning.  A coach in the worst division of all time.  ( I hate hockey in the South, well until I move to Florida in 40 years)

They Call Me Shane

60. habfan53 says:

Out of curiosity Why was Guy Boucher the greatest coach since Toe Blake and everybody wanted him here last year and now because he is with Tampa he is a know nothing rookie coach??

61. habfan53 says:

I miss BEN’S

62. light_n_tasty says:

Great question.

Even though I like Gammy and Gio, I’d do it.  Lecavalier’s had injuries the past 2 seasons, but I’m guessing he will crack 90 pts at least a few more times.  I don’t really care that he’s on a 10-year contract…who knows what will happen after the next collective bargaining anyway.  Plus, in 10 years, the cap’s gonna be like double what it is now, and he’ll be a steal.

St. Louis is a lock for 80+ pts.

Gagne’s injury prone, but is equal to Cammy skill-wise.  The other two pieces more than make up for that.

63. MTLForever says:

I have to watch tonight’s game while in class, but I will be at the HSBC arena friday for the game in my Habs jersey, 6 rows up from the ice!

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Know what you mean, only crowd I really saw was the Game 7 of the Stars-Dogs Conference Finals and that was pretty much because P.K. put on a show in the playoffs and he was in that game. First time I ever really lined up to buy my ticket.

I’ve been in the Bell Centre, going to Copps… feel like I’m at a Midget game where the team is 0-15-1 to start the season sometimes.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. Kooch7800 says:

When they won the calder cup a couple of years ago they were giving away tickets for the upper bowl just to have fans there to celebrate.  it was crazy.

the first couple of rounds in the playoffs there was no one there.

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Saw Games 2 and 6 of Round 1, I know. It’s quality hockey for a 25$ ticket and it is at a cost where you can bring your family, you wouldn’t think they have to drag people out to the games.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. notbigbird says:

I don’t suppose that Hamilton is exactly a hot bed of Hab’s supporters. That must have something to do with it. Once upon a time I live near London when they had an AA baseball team, but the only times I went were when the Harrisburg Senators were playing (Expos farm team).

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Toronto Marlies have crap attendance as well, AHL hockey is just not popular in Canada. It’s all about the CHL or the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. Thomas Le Fan says:

So “Quebec South” rather than “Habs South”. Works for me. Let’s separate them from two points and first  place in the Southeast Division. Go Habs!

70. avatar_58 says:

Huh? Am I missing something? Tampa is Tampa. A southern expansion team. They are not, nor ever will be, the Nordiques. Anyone who cheers them because their team is doing poorly is a bandwagon jumper.

I am lost as to why Boucher inspires this much insanity. Most of you never even watched him coach in Hamilton

71. HabFanSince72 says:

There have always been fans of “other teams” in Montreal. Sometimes it’s because of a French superstar (e.g. Isles in 1980s, Pens in 1990′s), sometimes kids came of age when the Habs were poor and some other team had a dynasty, sometimes it’s the younger brother of a Habs fan who decides to cheer for the Bruins, or other times the person is just a contrarian.

This aint Tronna.

72. dh says:

Renaud Lavoie of RDS saying, “There’s a lot of people saying Tampa is the No. 2 team in Quebec. If (the game) turns ugly, the fans could cheer for Tampa to put pressure on Montreal.

Can anyone here imagine the fans at the Bell Center cheering for the other team?  Just because some of their players are from Quebec?

73. fbkj says:

its happened before… plenty of times

Sure! but they are not Montreal fans. We do applaud great players around the league though, because we know the game better than most fans.

75. habs365 says:

This game is about which team can score the most goals and the rest is just media talk

76. dh says:

I don’t mean booing the home team.  I mean cheering for the other guys?

77. fbkj says:

oh i know what you meant and my comment still stands lol

78. D-Habs says:

I agree. I was at the game on Dec. 23rd 1996 when the Habs lost 6-0 to a really bad Sens team. By the end of the game it was like we were in Ottawa.. every time a Canadiens player touched the puck, the crowd booed. When the Senators scored their 4th, 5th and 6th goal, it was like they won the Stanley Cup.. it was the most bizarre thing i ever witnessed.

79. fbkj says:

ive been to one or two simmilar ones lol

80. JerryMcgoo says:

Same here, I was at one where I think we lost 5 or 6-1 against the Lightning, and the cheers started after the 3rd goal lol.  The only good thing about that game was the free food, as I was in the Dejardin section (I think it was the Air Canada section back then).

81. dh says:

Guess I haven’t been around here long enough…

82. derfab says:

The 30 second shift is part of what has diminished the beauty of the game. If that’s what Boucher is about, all it really amounts to is dump and chase with a dose of opportunism thrown in.

83. habs youngtimer says:

there are french canadian players on all of the NHL teams. it’s not a big deal.

franco media will do anything to stir the pot.

84. fun police says:

i now hate tampa, not leaf hate, but getting there.  rds broadcasters will be wearing tampa jerseys, brunet will have his lecavalier jersey all ready to go.

85. JF says:

I’m starting to feel the same way.  I’m tired of hearing about how great Guy Boucher is.  I often watch the pre-game show on RDS, but tonight, even though it’s our home opener, it’ll be all about the Lightning, so I plan to skip it.

86. dh says:

I thought that I heard that Benoit Brunet was being cut and that Joel Bouchard was going to do the commentary with Pierre Houde? Last game I was switching constantly between CBC and RDS. I can’t take Bob Cole with his Crosby love but then I can’t take Benoit Brunet either.

87. krob1000 says:

Hmmmm…..the suspension topic is interesting….I wondered before about the two games until the last couple of lines where Buffalo and Chicago meet again Saturday …after having served two games.  Surely Hjalmarsson will have to answer the bell with someone…..and maybe this is a round about way of letting the players police themselves?…..NAH….it is just pure incompetence but at least this set of circumstances will lead to a heck of a hockey game and some high ratings as everyone will likely know about it….hmmm.   Should have been minimum 3 games, probably 5 but then the teams wouldn’t play until next year…..I sure hope the Sabres overlook their tilt with us thinking bout Chicago…

I have to tell you Stu, that last year I watched a Mtl. Tampa game in Tampa. I have been in a lot of rinks and seen a lot of games at many levels. But this spectacle of a rink and game was the worst dollar that I have ever spent on entertainment anywhere in my life. First, Mtl. lost, second, they only had about 1500 Tampa fans,  And there was about 2000 Mtl. fans at the game. It was unbelievable.

Both teams played like they were still on the beach or on the bench if you prefer. No atmosphere what so ever, no head on the beer and I dumped it. It was a disaster from entering the whole property until we left. No wonder they can’t sell hockey in the south. Heck there was a larger crowd looking at the basket ball game in the hallway while the hockey game was being played.

I have no idea how players can perform in such an environment there. That is why we need to take care of our business here at the Bell tonight.

The Tampa players are going to go nuts in our barn tonight. They will probably think they are playing in the NHL tonight. Better hang onto your hats boys and girls, there is going to be a heck of a show in a few hours.

89. Kooch7800 says:

there is nothing worse than watching a game with no atmosphere. I go to the bulldogs games quite a bit and they get about 4500 fans in an arena that holds 19,000.  Makes the place seem like a ghost town.

It sucks because it is really good hockey.