A day off for Habs before heading to Florida

The Canadiens were given a day off Sunday to lick their wounds (and bite marks) following Saturday’s 6-0 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Leafs’ Mikhail Grabovski originally had an NHL disciplinary hearing set for 4 p.m. Sunday after being accused of biting Max Pacioretty during a fight-filled third period Saturday. But the hearing will now be done by phone at 11 a.m. Monday.

“That doesn’t belong in our sport,” Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges said after the game. “If you get in there, stand up for yourself, be a man, drop your gloves, and you’ll have respect. But bite somebody? That doesn’t belong in our league.”

Added coach Michel Therrien: “I saw the bite. You can see that on the video. I’m sure the league’s going to pay attention to that.”

The Habs will practice at 9:30 a.m. Monday in Brossard before leaving for Florida, where they will face the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday and the Florida Panthers on Thursday before returning home to face the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Leafs beat Habs in alley and on ice, by Dave Stubbs

Habs stank the joint out, by Jack Todd

Worst home shutout since 1996 for Habs, by Pat Hickey

No post-game rant from Therrien this time, by Pat Hickey

‘The jokers’ took over in third period, by Pat Hickey

Leafs-Habs ugliness shows hockey’s back, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

James Reimer backstops Toronto, by The Toronto Star

Bite Night for Leafs and Habs, by The Toronto Sun

Maple Leafs enjoying life on the road, by The National Post

Habs tickets were a currency of choice for corrupting officials, by The Canadian Press

1. Chris says:

Sometimes, I like being right. (Okay, I’ll admit it…I love it!)

But sometimes, and I hope this is one of them, I really hope that I’m wrong. I’m still hoping, even though the smoke is rapidly approaching a definitive declaration of “Fire!”.

I just wanted to point out that many of us were musing about the possibility/probability of a slow start by Cole and how people would react. I would say that people should relax a bit…Cole will get it going as he always does.

And if he doesn’t, it wouldn’t be the first or last time that an NHL player has a forgettable season. And the same goes for Desharnais. People are basically calling for him to be dumped for nothing, just like they were the year after Plekanec had his big year with Kovalev and Kostitsyn. Plekanec obviously brings a lot more to the team than Desharnais because of his defensive play, but I hate how quickly Montreal fans turn on every player that has a bad year.

If Desharnais gets traded or dumped, it should be because they are making room for Galchenyuk, not because he “isn’t an NHL centre”. He is.

————————————————-

Chris
    JANUARY 12, 2013 AT 7:28 AM

Erik Cole popping off about his future was, in my opinion, an incredibly stupid move on his part. Not because I disagree that he should re-evaluate after each season whether his heart is in it…I think that should be a given for a married player with children.

Instead, why go INTO a season musing about whether it is your last when you are as young as Cole and after a very ugly lockout where you were one of the most vocal players in attacking the NHL owners, Gary Bettman and the league itself?

Cole is a notorious slow starter. People forget that after the first couple of weeks last season, there were already whispers of “bust” going around because of his lethargic start. Through the first 7 games of the season, Cole had 1 assist to show for about 15 minutes of ice time per night. What people see is a 35 goal scorer, but they forget that he had a ridiculous hot streak to close the season (12 goals in 14 games) to vault up the scoring charts.

What happens if Cole gets off to another slow start? Are Montreal fans going to recall that he does this every year? Or are a lot of less plugged in fans going to see a 35 goal scoring forward who had expressed unhappiness with his lost pay suddenly slump?

Cole set the bar very high last season by tallying the highest goal-total of his career. In his previous four seasons, he had averaged 20-25 goals and 35-50 points. I’ve always felt that Cole was a very good candidate to regress this season. I treated last season as a unexpected bonus, and I would be equally happy to see him pot his usual 25 goals.

But with all the bitterness out there amongst the fans, I don’t think musings about retirement and the unfair concessions he is giving up are going to resonate much with the fans. All these comments can do are paint a big fat bullseye on him if he has any early season struggles.

I’m hoping that the magic of Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole carries through to this season, both for the sake of the team and the sake of Cole himself. But we’ve seen hot lines at the end of one season not carry through (Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev, anybody?).

• Loonie says:

Two problems with that line independent of Cole himself.

Pacioretty is still visibly hurt and Desharnais doesn’t move the puck quick enough for a player his size.

The idea that they would come into this season and continue to find success without each player making necessary adjustments(Cole doing something other than driving wide, Pacioretty doing something other than shooting from a step inside the blueline and Desharnais doing something other than the little semi circle while holding the puck and dishing it off) was foolish.

Cole isn’t fooling anyone when he drives wide, goalies are expecting Pacioretty’s excellent shot from anywhere on the ice and Desharnais’ being denied time and space and doesn’t have the speed to evade checks(hence the move the puck quicker adjustment).

They may need different linemates to produce more offensively because they each have a go to tendency that makes them vulnerable.

• Chris says:

Agreed. I also think Pacioretty has slowed considerably after adding more bulk in the off-season. But it could be a matter of conditioning, as he was battling an injury that sent him home from Europe and then had the appendicitis. I don’t think we’ve seen the real Max Pacioretty yet this season.

• Mr. Biter says:

He rushed back for the Appex injury. Give himn credit for that but prehaps a week off might have helped us more.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Phil C says:

According to this article, Pacioretty’s trainer was very careful to make sure he didn’t add body weight. Maybe the Habs should hire this guy. Increasing strength without gaining weight is impressive. Quote:

“His intensity was still very high. We focused on Olympic weightlifting and plyometrics for power, and sled-training for speed and strength. This way, we were able to continue to maintain his body weight at a steady 218 pounds and keep his strength levels very high.”

But, hey, you can’t be right *all* the time. ;-)

• twilighthours says:

Nice!

• Chris says:

And then he had the appendix surgery and couldn’t work out. I’ll be happy to admit that I’m wrong on this one, but Pacioretty looks significantly bigger this year than he did last year. I noticed it in the first few games, but then really noticed it when he came back form the surgery. He looks like a tank out there.

By the looks of it, Pacioretty came into the 2011-12 season at 208 pounds.

• twilighthours says:

I assumed this was an “I told you so” post and skipped it.

2. Bill says:

Thanks Octopus, first and last time anybody on this site ever called me “insightful”, haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. NightRyder says:

Would cost next to nothing. We need one in the organization. Sporadic spot duty at best. Worth the investment.

• chemic says:

lets start the tank-mode, bring on one or two useless goons, trade Cole und Kaberle for Kirk Muller or DD for Guy Boucher and wait for the bright future………

• NightRyder says:

Tanking is never acceptable. Show me someone wishing for a loss and I’ll show you a loser.
        Plus, any team that misses the playoffs has a shot at the top pick anyway.

4. the Octopus says:

does anyone think that we could get Ryan Malone from Tampa for DD and a 2nd rounder?

5. the Octopus says:

A hevyweight is cheap, does not play every game and i used only when needed, If one is the 13th forward, then nothing is wrong.

6. Loonie says:

Ron Wilson,

The King of the modern day bag skate at the pro level had exactly zero playoff appearances with the Leafs and his Sharks players threw a party when he was fired.

7. Loonie says:

Worry about Colton Orr when you’re winning by 5 goals, not when you’re losing by that much.

• ProHabs says:

Gorges shouldn’t have to worry about fighting a 6ft5 goon and Gionta nor Bourque shouldn’t have to worry about dealing with Orr. We should have a heavyweight in place to deal with that. EVery team in the NHL gets that except Montreal. It is a joke.

• Loonie says:

Nope. Not every team feels they need a “heavyweight”.

I don’t necessarily disagree with having a big guy who can fight and fight well against anybody. But winning on the scoreboard is the first priority.

• ProHabs says:

When you are losing on the scoreboard and getting pushed around like a bunch of cream puffs, and there is absolutely nothing the players on the team can do about it, it is pretty demoralizing.

• Loonie says:

McLaren laughed and Orr sucker punched.

I don’t dispute that they were roughed up in the thuggery department. I’m saying worry about the scoreboard, not the fightcard.

• Mr. Biter says:

I’ve been posting for a heavyweight for 3 years , was happy when Habs signed Staubitz, upset when they let him go for Prust (who I do like now as he protects the Gally boys but he’s just a little smaller than Staubitz. But just think back to Sat night Prust, White and Staubitz on at the same time. KAPPOOO.
            Also we had a big mean d-man and never re-signed him in Wiz.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• CCL says:

We have talent. But the talent is getting old. Our problem is we don’t have enough tough Guys with talent. This new NHL if you don’t have four or five tough guys with talent. you’re not gonna go far. we’re OK against soft teams but have a hard time against the tough ones. it was proven last night. We had the skill. very little toughness and when we tried to be tough. We got man handled that’s why we’re not gonna do good.

They keep losing games. They’ll be watching Hockey in April Not Playing.

• Loonie says:

Rene Bourque can fight very well.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a guy like Ryan Malone who can play well and fight. Ryan Clowe’s another good example.

But I’d focus on having a guy who can fight really well take the place of an Armstrong or Moen instead of a Gionta or Cole.

Their slow starts are being blown way out of proportion by people who will be singing their praises in a couple of weeks.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I don’t see many scenarios where Orr or McLaren will be useful to the Leafs. It would appear that blowing out the other team and gooning it up is when they’re most noticeable.

Indeed, I don’t see why the Habs would view that as a priority.

8. Mondou6 says:

We were the 3rd worst team in the NHL last year, and we have 95% of that roster back again this year. The results look pretty much the same as last year. After last night, and yes, even though it’s just one game, I’m 100% into “tank mode” again.

Look on the bright side, in February last year, we were all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Thanks to the lockout, we can pretend we are a playoff team for that much longer this year.

In either case, making the playoffs with this roster of crap would be a negative. We need more high draft picks.

Next year, we’ll be clear of Gomez’s cap hit. Maybe we can trade Gionta, Markov, Eller for a scrap here or there.

The future is brighter this year than it was last year, but we still stink. We have very little talent compared to other teams.

• ProHabs says:

I agree. I would be willing to sacrifice a 48 game season in order to get another top 3 pick. I don’t agree about trading Eller yet. He was one of the best players on the ice last night for the Habs. I think he could be a really good third line center a la Sutter in Pittsburg or what Stall was in Pittsburg. He is only 23.

• chemic says:

isn`t it sad that the bright future always seems to come next year?

tank mode…..really? like those Oilers and Islanders who will have bright future too next year……or the year after, or whenever.

• ProHabs says:

OIlers and Islanders have no goaltending nor defence. We have Price, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu on the way. We lack more scoring and toughness up front and on D. A top 3 pick will get us that scoring.

• JUST ME says:

I agree that the team looks like last year`s but the changes made on and off the ice already show. The results cannot be as bad as last year`s and many players do not have a big step to reach to have better results this season even if it is a 48 game season.
      That being said, the habs are not stanley cup bound and maybe not even playoffs bound. That was to be expected and thinking otherwise would be unrealistic. This team finished 28 th ,went through hell and back ans have a new face this year. When Marc Bergevin took over as G.M. he said he was going to take a long hard look at what he has. That meant he would take the season as a buffer to better things. He saw the up side of the team and now the down side. I do not think that he will juge the team with saturday`s game nor will he with the team that got 6 wins in the first 8 games. There will be tough times again but good times also. Let`s not shoot the messenger…

So Orr gets nothing for his knee? No “hearing” from papa Campbell?

• commandant says:

He didn’t connect.

The CBC replay showed it… Pleks dove out of the way and Orr never actually hit him.

Sad to say but the NHL suspends for actual injuries and actual hits, and things like this “clear intent” with no result get brushed under the rug.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• otisfxu says:

Again, everyone is missing the point,,,,,forget about the league getting payback,,,the team has nobody to get payback.
      Don’t need to settle these things in the principle’s office like a bunch of Poindexters,,,,,,have somebody on the ice that keeps the other teams from doing what they want to your players.
      Brendan Shanahan isn’t going to win a cup for you, unless he was still playing,,,,nobody pushed him around.

• Chris says:

As much as we’re complaining about the Orr on Plekanec, the Habs were not innocent.

What the hell was Brandon Prust thinking when he threw the head-check on Cody Franson? The puck was not there, and Franson certainly didn’t have it. That was a pretty blatant shot to the head that looked an awful lot like a forearm shiver at normal speed.

Orr never made contact, and the league has never suspended for intent. The best way to get revenge on that is to go and destroy them on the score-sheet the next time the two teams play.

• Clay says:

Prust clearly left his feet too…

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• shootdapuck says:

Expect any different?

Papacito is preoccupied tonight!

He’s concocting the defence for his kid: major, misconduct and a game!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

10. habsnyc says:

The Leafs circled this game after Gionta interfered with Reimer in Montreal on October 22, 2011. Reimer suffered a concussion on the play. The Leafs won the game in OT to move their record to 5-1-1. After that game, they were not the same team.

MT clearly did not realize this was a revenge game for the Leafs. Maybe Prust and Armstrong did not realize it either. Montreal was caught off guard. They fell behind early and the Leafs had motive and opportunity to take liberties. It was not surprising Orr ended up chest to face with Gionta.

The answer is not to add more goons. The answer is for Subban and Emelin to keep up the physical parts of their games. The team needs to hit, not fight. But, the coaching staff needs to realize when a team has circled a game against the Habs. On those occasions, the team needs to be prepared with the right players and the right frame of mind. This game was an organizational failure to prepare.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• commandant says:

There have been 5 Habs/Leafs games since that game.

And this was the one they circled for revenge?

Really?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• shootdapuck says:

Not to forget the season finale last April!

A better candidate for revenge !

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

How did I know that these losers were going to get a day off. Therrien is still a good coach – yes? I mean, I see hell of a difference between him and JM. 10 more games it will be night and later that night.

I think I am going to come to work tomorrow, just keep my feet up all day long, screw up a few things here and there and then go tell my boss that I will be taking a day off while the rest of the crew has to deal with my eff ups. That will go over well for sure.

This organization continues to be a joke in every way possible.

• Loonie says:

If it’s so terribly flawed how could it be screwed up?

• Chris says:

The CBA basically mandates a certain number of off days each week. Not much the teams can do about it.

• Timo says:

I take it that Saturday did not count as a day off?

• Chris says:

Sadly, no.

I don’t know why, but after the first goal I just knew that game was going to turn into an embarrassment. The Habs have always had a really strong tendency to lay eggs in four cases:

1) Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday nights.
          2) Tampa Bay Lightning any time
          3) New Jersey Devils any time
          4) the two weeks starting around December 20th.

The lockout meant we got to dodge the horror show of #4.

I was taking a perverse pleasure in seeing just how badly they could stink on Saturday. And let me tell you, that egg was a work of art. It isn’t easy to be that completely dominated in every aspect of the game. :)

• commandant says:

Yup 4 days off a month.

I would have bag skated them today and given them Monday off though.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

Bag skates at the NHL level are almost pointless.

In the old days, they might have carried some weight. But with millionaires who dictate their terms so thoroughly, it is nothing more than punishment detail.

Given that a big part of the problem was some questionable coaching, it is hard to punish any one group. Everybody on the team failed in that one.

Might as well dust off and move on to the next game.

• Loonie says:

Thank you.

Their punishment is having to look at each other and a camera after that game.

The bag skate works from minor hockey through junior hockey, not at the pro level.

• Say Ash says:

Yup. And then your manager will reward you with a day off, followed by a paid trip to Florida. It’s a nice living.

• shootdapuck says:

Not to mention chartering an aircraft for your convenience!

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
        “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

• Mr. Biter says:

Yeah , pity the poor players in Florida. Getting top $$$”s to play there, Sunshine and your fans don’t care if you win or lose. Now that the lifestyle to live.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

12. WhatUp says:

jrshab1: i agree with most of what you say. the liberties teams take on our more skilled players is sickening (boston beatdown followed by the Pax hit the next game) – last night etc. goons are a waste of space but you have to look at them as an insurance policies (allbeit with some holes – not full proof) but this taking liberties has got to stop. it;s getting to be an embarassement for this once proud franchise.. as we start rebuilding with new young kids it;s important they feel safe – my 2 cents

13. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Now that the shock has worn off for some, let’s take a more sanguine look at what happened.

Focusing on fake fisticuffs when a game is already lost is a visceral reaction but misses the whole point. Tyler Bozak didn’t turn into Pavel Datsyuk last night because he knew late in the game his 4th liners would beat up on players outside their class, weight or otherwise.

From the drop of the puck in the first game, Carlyle had a far better game plan than MT. The Leafs forechecked aggressively, forcing turnovers and at the other end, easily short passed by the late forecheck.

Forget about the red herrings of lack of effort, team toughness and more pugilists – this was a coaching failure and until they teach some face-off wins, and better in game adjustments, games like this will occur more often than will feel comfortable.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

14. jrshabs1 says:

goons are useful…the leafs used them quite well when they beat the crap out of the Habs last night. we should know by now that the league is going to do nothing via protecting the smallish Habs from the goonery of other teams. so, the Habs need to fight fire with fire..I for one will embrace the change because I’m sick of seeing what I saw last night, shades of the bruin beat down all over again. how can the Habs ever win anything being as soft as the are..like it or not the bruins are the example and so far the leafs are the only team that noticed. Brandon Prust is a good middle weight fighter that can play…the Habs need 2 goons who do nothing else than to make sure Mike Kostka doesn’t fight Brandon Gallagher. Those 2 kids need to be sent down if they are not going to be properly protected. Evaluation time is over. do the Habs need Gionta.. Deharnais..Diaz and Gallagher playing pivotal roles? Gallagher is the only one worth keeping long term..Deharnais is a good player but he’s way too small and Gallagher has more upside than him. Diaz has no physical presense on the blue line and therefore not really useful when push comes to shove in front of the net. Gionta’s time is up..he’s part of the old regime and he did his job well but is way too small to be a truly effective captain. Can’t forget about Kaberle, Armstrong and Webber..all useless. There’s 6 spots opened up. 2 spots ready for the toughest guys the Habs can find and the other 4 spots are for big body players…(the league is full of them honest)..only way to play in our own division.

Go Habs Go!!

• Loonie says:

Trevor Gillies is the only goon I’d be on board with. He’s so bloody crazy that his presence is probably the only one in the NHL that scares the bejesus out of opponents without him being on the ice.

• Trackpants says:

Name one so called “goon” on Boston that can’t acutally play hockey? Thorton scores from time to time alot more then Drache or Blunden ever did. There isn’t one player on that team who’s only role is to fight? If Boston is the model then I think you need to mention that they have their fair share of talentent players: Krechi, Burgeron, Seguin, Peverly to name a few. Boston’s tough guys aren’t goons, they are guys that can fight and guys that can play hockey. Picking that type of player up isn’t so easy.

=TP

15. Steven says:

Legitimate question: How much of the 3-game losing streak has been blamed on Subban by the media?

• JayK-47 says:

PK “The most HATED man in hockey” Subban? Just a little bit.

• Steven says:

Totally forgot about that. Completely ridiculous assessment, in my opinion. It’s been said a ton of times before already, but some really reprehensible characters on that list and Subban is first because he’s flamboyant. Go figure.

I’d personally guess Raffi Torres should be #1

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the three most indelible memories I have from last night’s game are: first, how slow I came to realize Markov has become; …two, the saves Carey didn’t make; …and, three, McLaren holding off Josh and laughing

…hopefully, both Markov and Cary will ultimately redeem Themselves in My eyes (as well as Cole, who has been sucking since the start of the season)

…a further 3 impressions, to Me, resulted from the Gorges/McLaren tilt: …first, the initial ignominy of McLaren laughing in Gorges’ face (I seethed for retribution); …second, I was reminded of what courage and heart Josh Gorges has and how proud I feel that He is a Montreal Canadien; …third, after My initial instinct wanting retribution be handed McLaren, I now realize how easily McLaren could have ended Josh’s career if not His future effectiveness by beating Josh to a crisp …McLaren did not hit Josh like he could have, he held back actually, out of sincere respect, for Josh Gorges

…We ignore the law of the jungle at Our peril

• TheLogician says:

i agree that mclaren really, and thankfully, held up. i cringed every time gorges attempted a new “flurry”, thinking it just might trigger mclaren into losing that restraint.

and as maddening as the smiles were, i’m guessing he was doing it for the sake of the replays/hockeyfights.com, to head off any claims of “wow, mclaren couldn’t even beat down/knock gorges??”. much preferable to let them know he could if he wanted to via smiling rather than actually doing it.

17. Loonie says:

Thoughts that may run contrary to the panicking that’s been happening.

1. The Habs weren’t physically dominated in the sense that the Leafs are stronger. They were terrible with puck support both offensively and defensively. They rarely had two men on the puck at any point in the game while the Leafs did at nearly every turn. That’s a recipe for disaster regardless of who the bigger or stronger team is. Kadri had the only “wow” hit of the game for the Leafs. The Habs had a little more than a half dozen.

2. I don’t want to overreact to a slump but David Desharnais is coming very close to proving that he’s average at best when Pacioretty isn’t with him and playing at a high level. He’s lost defensively the majority of the time, he’s trying long cross-ice passes that aren’t getting home and his only positive impact offensively has been as a presence in front of the net. Lots of talk about Cole, Gionta and Markov not being able to produce offense due to their age, but Desharnais has been the least effective if you lump those four into a group in my opinion.

18. otter649 says:

People talk about bag skates & taking away a day off but I believe in The New CBA the players have a guarantee of so many days off in a month not counting travel days……

• Loonie says:

Bag skating a team after a humiliating loss does about as much good as putting washer fluid in your oil tank.

• Twillingater says:

What would U suggest to do with the lot of them?

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

• Loonie says:

They didn’t support each other on the puck the entire game. That should be the focus in my opinion.

If a team of professionals needs to be bag skated, there’s a big problem with the leadership of the team at both the coaching level and with the veteran players.

I don’t they lacked effort, I think they lacked intelligence.

• Mike D says:

They did lack intelligence, but they clearly lacked effort too. Big time.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Loonie says:

We disagree on the effort. Enough players on the team brought enough effort that a well played game would have changed the result in my opinion.

• Max says:

They should all be given hugs and cookies.

• boing007 says:

PG hid them all in a locked box at an undisclosed location.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

19. Twillingater says:

Price’s stats took a major hit last night. That loss was not on him at all.

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

20. Say Ash says:

Questions I need answers to:

1) What day this week are they going bowling?

2) Will MB have a heartfelt stroll along the waterfront with Cole?

3) If someone gets thrown in jail for purse snatching, should we leave him there this time?

21. Sportfan says:

What would your ideal trade be? Who would you trade and who would you want to get for that player or players? Just random fun.

22. Psycho29 says:

Gregory Campbell gets the instigator, misconduct and a beating from Patrick Kaleta tonight….

23. Habsrule1 says:

Now that some of the commentariat has gone to bed, I can say this:

The Habs have had 2 bad games out of 11. Granted, they were really bad, but it’s not the end of the world. Had they pulled off the win against Boston, which could have gone either way, and White hadn’t had a brain fart (or they managed to kill both of his penalties), there would be far less of you on the ledge right now.
    The other problem is managing expectations. This team finished 15th in the East last year. If you’re being honest with yourself, you’d be happy to see them improve to 10th (draft pick notwithstanding). I personally still think they can finish between 6-8, so that would be an amazing improvement.
    I know it’s asking alot but think things through before you come on here and rant….or not……whatever.

Go Habs Go!!

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t have the numbers, but the just concluded portion of the schedule has been predominantly ‘home games’ …and from here on in for quite awhile, it will be predominantly on the road games

…sometimes a team comes together/gels when away …a bonding

…I guess, We can hope for that

25. Dudley the Dog says:

Goons are useless — I agree we should get someone like Boyle or Clarkson who are big, tough but can really play.

• bus driver says:

did you not see the game last night, its needed

• Trackpants says:

The best way to beat a goon is to add another minus to his stats sheet. Keep doing that and you’ll see alot less of the goons. Pretty sad when you can’t score against the other teams 4th line.

The Habs weren’t built to rumble they were built to razzel dazzel in the words of the great Bubble Gum Tate.
        And they did neither razzel or dazzel on Saturday night.

Bomp, Bomp Hiss….
        =TP

• showey47 says:

What is needed is competing right from the opening faceoff. The goon show didn’t start till the game was 4-0 and was over. You want to keep the cement heads on the bench,compete and stay in games. Orr and mclaren played about 8 mins combined,most of that probably in the 3rd. You think if the game was close anything like that would have happened? Of course not.

26. Trackpants says:

Well guys I have no choice but to come on here and vent b/c my wife is sick of listening to me.
    The Habs stunk it up, no doubt about it. Then to add to the misery decided to man-up and fight a team that they have no business fighting.
    I hear a lot of reaction, we need fighters… bring up so and so… trade for this guy. The reality is the 4th line of the leafs is a joke, they get to play limited minutes on the best of nights, but when it’s a blowout… let’m play.
    Here is my point, if the habs were in the game, it is doubtful we would be seeing the “3 amigos” at all. Thanks Don, because we all know it is the fighters that are winning games for the leafs, when they had rosehill, orr and brown and didn’t win; it was just because they didn’t have enough fighters?right Don?
    The reason this team can’t compete isn’t the fact they have small players, or too small forwards.. it doesn’t help, when you’re playing the other teams game and spending all your time grinding in the corners.
    The Defense on this team has been the giant Erectile Dysfunction elephant in the Canadiens organization for far too long. Don’t get me wrong, I like Georges and PK they are top 6 defensemen.
    Markov is amazing at times, but it a liability on the injury front to say the least.
    We need to develop trade or sandbag… It doesn’t matter how, but the bottom line is we need start over on the blue line.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the last Dmen we had that were true blue liners where Spacek and Hammerlik? Squandered cap space via, Gomez and Kaberle deals have left us with no wiggle room to pursue UFAs. Not to mention left us without Ryan McDonagh… ouch.
    It doesn’t matter what they do with the line combinations upfront, if you can’t get the puck out of your end, or clear a scramble in front of the net, you’re not gonna win. Case and point Buffalo game last week.
    Size isn’t everything on the blueline, but when you’re trying to move a guy like JVR out from in front of the net, I little extra size/grit couldn’t hurt. You gotta be a real mean SOB to be effective on defense… even a tab bit dirty, remember that Pronger guy? Right now we have none of the above.
    This team will continue to struggle until the gaps on the blueline are filled with quality defensive defensemen.
    Thank you for letting my vent, I feel better already.

“Defense wins Championships”
    =TP

27. Mike D says:

A couple thoughts:

– Don’t be disgusted with the team. Feel free to be disgusted by the last game and the team’s effort, but the team itself isn’t as bad as we saw yesterday. We’re also not as good as the 6-2 record we sported there for a bit. Step back from the ledge and temper expectations accordingly.

– This team has needs and it appears toughness/size is one of them. That said, the ‘answer’ isn’t in guys like MacIntyre, Stortini, Petrecki, etc. since those guys can’t actually play hockey worth a damn. By all means, let’s get bigger and tougher….but with guys who can take a regular shift and contribute something else.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

28. mrhabby says:

Taylor Swift sucks like alot of American music….end of rant.

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the problem with being fast and skilled is what do You do when Your opponent is faster and even more skilled ?

…lose ?

30. NCRhabsfan says:

The Habs need to shed a surf or two. You just cannot play a physical game with 4 or 5 guys that cannot see above their opponents waists without a boost. I don’t care how good they are, you cannot have that small a team. Either Gionta or DD has to go. Gallagher looks like a keeper; he is cap friendly and has way more ceiling at this point than either of the other two. He also works harder than either of the other two.

I hate fighting in the NHL, but since apparently like guns in the USA it isn’t going anywhere, you have to have at least one guy that can actually play that can take care of business too. Gionta should be able to fetch that.

31. Willy the bum says:

So… did Pacioretty get a vaccine shot after he got bitten by a rabid Grabovski, or what?

• boing007 says:

He should get a tetanus shot. Human bites can be lethal.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Marc10 says:

And bites from feral Belorussians … well that’s like getting bitten by the walking dead. Thankfully Max is The Wolverine. Lucky for Grabo his claws were retracted.

Might I suggest Max do a spot of MMA training. It will help round out his skills for the new NHL where anything goes. There’s a decent gym in town called TriStar…

32. Sportfan says:

If the Canadiens under perform again like they did last year then I agree with some people trade some of the veteran guys away for new parts and get the kids playing try some new guys that are in the AHL ETC, but maybe just maybe that was our bad week of the season and we go back to normal and play good hockey. It was a bad week but lets not count them out just yet.

33. temekuhabs says:

Ozmodiar:
    Exactly!!!

34. temekuhabs says:

Idk what’s going on with COLE, but man, he’s mailed er in the last few games. He’s done squat.
    Vodkov looked old and slow, in the 1st minute when that no name Laff blew by him

35. Twillingater says:

Wow! The team stank something awful & were rewarded by a day off? So what were the repercussions of the worse home game in over 16 yrs? NOTHING! What else in there to say?
    “Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing”

36. deuce6 says:

Geez, little bit of knee jerk reactions in here, eh? lol

I know it hurts to lose in that fashion to the Leafs, but it happens..One bad game doesn’t warrant blowing up the team..We are a work in progress..This year is essentially a trial year for Bergevin to evaluate his team that he inherited..

We have bright future with a young core with a pretty good farm..Not to mention 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds of a deep draft..If we make the playoffs, its a bonus…

My suggestion is take your lumps from this game from the Leafers and move on..There is absolutely nothing we can say to rebut that debacle that went on last night..One of the worst butt kickings I have ever seen in my 30+ years as a Habber..That was unacceptable..I hope the boys feel the same way..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

37. the Octopus says:

Good evening ladies and gentleman, I am “The Octopus,” a long time reader, first time poster. I’m not as funny as JohnBellyfull, not as insightful as BILL or Commandant, and not as crazy as NUNACANADIEN, but I hope you grow to appreciate my contributions.

It is very obvious that this years team is tougher than last year’s Habs (which is not saying much) but not quite tough enough…..

Here’s the problem: Prust is IMO the best middleweight fighter in the NHL, but he lacks reach, which puts him at a disadvantage against bigger guys, plus he can’t do it all by himself. White is more of a pest than an enforcer, and Moen and Armstrong are S*it.

The solution: Trade Weber, and a 3rd rounder to Washington for John Erskine, trade Kaberle to Edmonton for Pekham and a pick.
    Trade Gio (it pains me to say it, I love the guy and wear his jersey frequently, but he would be better off elsewhere), DD, the rights to Kristo, and a second rounder to the Sharks for Ryane Clowe.
    Trade a minor prospect to the Pens for McIntyer.
    Trade Cole to Carolina for Semin, then immediately trade Semin to the Blues for Chris Stewart.
    Swap Moen for a 3rd or 2nd rounder.

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Clowe

I stand corrected:
    A CLOSER LOOK
    Corey Perry

Nickname
    “Perrs”

Favorite NHL city to visit
    Vancouver. The atmosphere around there is pretty cool.

Favorite NHL team growing up
    Montreal Canadiens

39. habstrinifan says:

Late to the party but Commandant’s item #1:
    “1) Shop Gionta. Look I love the guy. But he’s an older RW (a position of depth amongst our prostpects and is UFA after next season). I’m not giving him away, but if I can get prospects/picks for him at the deadline, I’m doing it. I want good talent though, because Gionta still has value to this team.”

I repost my reaction:

Shop Gionta? Are you kidding? Therrien says he WILL coach this team through GIONTA!

• commandant says:

I’m just looking long term Trini, and it pains me to shop Gionta, but the more I look at this team, he’s the guy i think gives us value at the trade deadline and is expendable.

This team isn’t winning the cup… and our 34 year old captain will be UFA in just over 1 year.

I’m looking for similar value to the Rivet trade. (Josh Gorges and a 1st rounder (Pacioretty).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

40. chemic says:

so now we are talking names like Sortini, Blunden and any other big guy who cant score but who looks tough, trade the whole team bla bla bla bla makes no sense at all.

exactly a year ago we beat the leafs 5-0 in their own yard…….so what now, were we better last year because we beat them badly? i dont think so…..

common sense, patience and more chillin, sometimes this site needs more of that. less bitchin too…..

41. temekuhabs says:

I would trade Gionta, Cole near the trading deadline when we are in 14th for picks. Try and sign Clarkson, draft a BIG CENTRE
    Perry?? I don’t think he would come to Montreal
    Build through the draft

42. Habfan17 says:

Someone had posted here that San Jose had waived Nick Petrecki. The only news I see is that he was assigned to Worcester for conditioning. It does not looke like they have waived him.

Habfan17

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens/Habs+tickets+were+currency+choice/7944930/story.html#ixzz2KXnIcDd2 ; SIDHARTHA BANERJEE, THE CANADIAN PRESS

‘MONTREAL – Hockey’s most storied franchise has had a regular shift at Quebec’s corruption inquiry.

The probe has repeatedly heard how Montreal Canadiens tickets were a currency of choice when it came to corrupting public officials.

A half-dozen employees from the city’s engineering department have testified and every single one of them has admitted to taking free hockey tickets whenever they could get them.

They were wined, dined and bribed by construction bosses. Some took gifts ranging from golf vacations to free home renovations. Some accepted money, some said they refused it. One witness said he drew the line at prostitutes and declined to accept the paid company of young women.

But nobody said no to Habs games — the hottest ticket in a hockey-mad town.’

… :))

• habstrinifan says:

Saw that.. pretty disgusting stuff. But it does show Molson really can just sit back and rake in the dollars.

• HabFab says:

I believe the reporter Sidhartha was one of the original creators of HIO along with Boone & Stubbs.

Giving hockey or any sporting tickets to clients is normal business practice. Believe my corporation has season tickets for every NHL team in Canada.

44. Steven says:

Whether the last 3 games are any indication of anything or not, the whole season has revealed a few things.

Cole doesn’t seem to care anymore. He’s legitimately been mailing it in practically every game this year. I hope some of his guys have been calling him out, because, if I’m someone like Plekanec or Bourque, who have been busting their asses basically each game this year(speaking of that, good on Bourque. He’s been pretty good), I’d be tempted to. If he just wants to cash in the cheques, let him do it somewhere else. There will be takers.

Whether it’s due to lack of effort or not, DD has not worked this season, other than that one 3-goal weekend. I would be tempted to move him down a few lines, or to the wing, where his lack of size will be less significant.

Eller has been our best forward for the last 3 games, and has played pretty well for most of the season. He’s earned the C position with Pacioretty. I’ve heard a lot of Pacioretty – Eller – Cole, but I’m not sure Cole mailing it in should be rewarded with an even better Center. Returning to the last point, a line of Pacioretty – Eller – DD could be interesting, if only for a few shifts.

Gionta’s having a dismal start to what initially appeared to be a promising season. He scored 2 in his first 2 games or so and hasn’t gotten anything since. Is he mailing it, too? Maybe. He still has value, though. I would get him off Pleks line, as he’s not working there and he really hasn’t made that line better. Maybe Pacioretty – Eller – Gionta could be worth a try.

45. jedimyrmidon says:

For everyone who wants guys like Orr and McLaren in the lineup, yesterday’s game is probably the ONLY time they’ll be able to “enjoy” their role on the team, i.e., in a 6-0 blow out where actual hockey didn’t matter anymore so they were both free to run around looking for trouble/someone to injure.

46. durocher says:

My fantasy moves and lines:
    – DD and Moen to DC for Chimera, Erskine, and Galiev (mid-level prospect)
    – second round pick to LA for Jonathan Bernier (Budaj ain’t cutting it, plus he’s a UFA at season’s end)

Bourque-Pleks-Gio

– Cube and Army are UFAs and won’t be re-signed
    – Tinordi and LL make the big club
    – Trade Gio to NJ or another club for a mid-round pick
    – We throw good money at David Clarkson to fill the RW slot
    – We make Gorges “C”

47. durocher says:

The biggest problem last night was not a lack of strength or toughness, it was a lack of effort, and just a few examples:
    – Markov giveaway, failing to get back on the first goal;
    – Cole failing to check his man, leading to the second goal; and
    – PK coasting back on a Leafs 2 on 1, which lead to another Toronto goal.
    If we outhustle and use our speed around the ice, the need for fisticuffs will be less necessary. We lost battles, the score got out of hand, and only then were the “jokers” free to run our players and take liberties.

Though we were shut out, some players skated hard and looked like they gave a crap — Eller, Bourque, Gallagher, to name a few. Others, however, most notably Cole and Gio, looked disinterested or disheartened.

With over a quarter of the season in the bag, I think it is time to consider who may lead us to the playoffs and thereby deserves more ice time, and who is not helping and thereby deserves less ice time, a trip to the press box, or a ticket to another club. Cole surely belongs in the latter category.

48. temekuhabs says:

Ian, yeah cant dare bag skate or make today’s players “work” like the old days. The NHLPA would have a fit

49. temekuhabs says:

Do it right?? What is that?? Cower in the corner of the rink?? No need to acquire anybody, we have guys down on the farm

• commandant says:

Stortini is NOT a good fighter. He is more of a big punching bag, then real intimidation in fighting back.

On top of that though…. Our two best fighters (prust and moen) were off the ice when Plekanec almost got kneed. Which is why Gorges and Bourque had to fight.

Thats the thing with the way the NHL rules are, you can’t jump off the bench, you can’t instigate a fight. So you really can’t react to any situation as it happens, you have to do it after the fact.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ozmodiar says:

If we have someone like Scott sitting on the bench then I’m guessing Orr (Carlyle) thinks twice about taking a run at Pleks. The Leafs knew there would be no consequences for what Orr did.

The Habs never have an answer when games get a bit ugly.

50. temekuhabs says:

I don’t like the goon shite hockey, but we got pushed around last night. Orr tried to take out Pleks knees, he roughed up the Captain. McClaren laughing at Gorges ( at least he tried to stand up) but c’mon!!

51. commandant says:

I think we just all have to realize a team is never as good as they look in their best moments or as bad as they are in their worst.

Are the Habs as good as the 6-2-0 start? No
    Are they as bad as they were last night? Nope.

This team is what it is… a team that will have to fight and scratch and claw if it wants to make the playoffs. A team that will finish either just inside or just outside the playoff picture.

We are not a true cup contender this year.

That in mind, here is what i do

2) Trade Kaberle if at all possible. Even for a mid round pick. I’ve defended Kaberle a lot, and I still think he’s a good PP specialist. But with Markov healthy, Subban signed, Diaz improving, and Beaulieu about 1-2 years away we don’t need a PP specialist, especially as our 7th defenceman at his price tag. Deal him, take what you can get.

3) If trading Kaberle is not possible, then trade Weber.

4) Play the youth, and if we miss the playoffs; so be it. Let the rebuilding team develop.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…number 4, especially, gets My vote Ben

• boing007 says:

Me too. Number Four. Time to clean out the barn. Send the underachieving veterans to Hamilton and bring up the younguns.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good points. Doesn’t Gionta have a no trade clause? And who would you bring up? After watching Gallagher’s desire last night, I would not mind giving Dumont a shot.

• commandant says:

Leblanc has started to turn things around this week. If that continues (and I don’t think we are trading Gionta til closer to the deadline), then its him.

Also consider you might get a winger prospect in your trade out of Gionta… who knows?

Dumont, I just think he’s another small forward, which is one thing I want to remedy with moving Gio (1 small guy on each of the top 3 lines).

And Gionta does have a no trade clause, but he wouldn’t be the first guy asked to waive that.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I agree with the limit of one small player on each line which is why I would look to move DD also. I was thinking of Dumont on the 4th line as an energy player who is a right handed centerman. I was hoping Joonas would be that guy with his size but I’m unsure. They both can’ t possibly be worse than Nokia…

• frontenac1 says:

Dumont may be small, but he is much tougher than LL. Check out how he KO”d Colbourne earlier this season.

• Mike D says:

Good post, Ben. I would also add injecting some toughness into the line-up, with the caveat that the guy can actually play hockey. Someone mentioned Boyle down below and that type of move could be a good one. Adding goons who can barely skate is useless. Guys suggesting Carkner, MacIntyre, etc. need to give their head a shake.

WRT trading Gio, I could get behind that too for the right return. A young prospect or pick would be ideal, but I would also target upcoming FA’s who might not re-sign with their current teams. At the moment, I’m looking at Corey Perry. He and Getzlaf did an interview recently and when asked about re-signing in Anaheim, Getzlaf seemed giddy at the idea while Perry was very ho-hum. He’s also having a pretty bad season at the moment furthering lowering his value. I’m not suggesting Gio for Perry straight up is a possibility, but if Anaheim is going to lose him for nothing in the offseason, the asking price might not be overly high. The Ducks are doing well right now though so I don’t know if they would make a major personnel change at this time.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• mrhabby says:

The asking price for Perry would be very high….anaheim would never do straight up for gio…almost laughable.

• commandant says:

On the toughness…. I agree 110%. I don’t want a 4 minute per game goon. He’s never on the ice to police things when shit happens. So there is nothing he can do. You need a guy who can play. Boyle is a great idea.

On Gio, i agree, don’t give him away but try to get something back that is useful.

I think if Anaheim sells Perry they are gonna look for the same type of things we want for Gio, picks and prospects. Except of course that Anaheim will want better picks, and better prospects and more of them.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mike D says:

Right now the Ducks look they will make the playoffs and I doubt they would move him before the deadline if that’s the case. If Perry doesn’t want to re-sign there, I wonder what it would cost to get his rights in the days leading up to July 1st.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

52. temekuhabs says:

You expect us to go and play them again, and not have any deterrent in the lineup?? You want Orr and McClaren to run our players?? I don’t

53. Danno says:

Would all the defenders of Grabiteski (on this site and on HNIC) be so understanding and forgiving if it were PK Subban who was in a similar situation and decided to bite the opposing player?

I doubt it very much.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• twilighthours says:

Would never happen. pK is on his way to being a better person.

• Habfan10912 says:

Can you imagine the stuff we’d hear? Oh boy.

———————————–

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…speaking only for Myself Dan, I wouldn’t care who it was

…Pax next time will be smarter, and grab whomever by the throat :)

• Chris says:

I defended Alex Burrows when he did it, and Jarkko Ruuttu and the other guys that have responded to a guy shoving his hand into their mouth.

Maybe its because I once saw somebody get fish-hooked so bad that it ripped his cheek about 3 inches and he was gushing blood (at an ultimate frisbee game, of all places), but if you stick your hand in my mouth for any reason, you had better be willing to give up your fingers. There is absolutely no reason for that.

If you’ve got such a bear hug on me that your wrist is in my mouth and I can’t remove it with both my hands, then I’m sure as hell biting down on you.

54. temekuhabs says:

Zack Sortini (with the Bulldogs) along with Blunden will be playing next time we play the Laffs

55. smiler2729 says:

lol Reimer didn’t have to make any saves, the Habs shot 37 times into the logo on his chest…

#making’emlookgood#irrelevantLeafs

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

56. Marc10 says:

MB has to step down into the dressing room. If the talking heads in the media are to be believed Moen and Cole all voluntarily returned to the bench before the scheduled end to their shift and basically hung their teammates and the coaches out to dry. Cole was especially transparent in his lack of effort.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cole wanted to return to Carolina. Now that the Canes stacked up front and his eldest wants to pursue her schooling south of the border, our beast on the wing might want to take a page out of the Cammalleri playbook and phone it in for a couple of weeks until the Habs are forced into a trade. I don’t know that Semin fits, but he’s on a one year contract and he’d obviously be coming the other way.

I don’t really want to see this happen, but after hearing Cole earlier in the year talk about possible retirement and his kid needing to go to school south of the border… and now seeing a stunning lack of commitment, I could think of crazier scenarios.

This could make for an interesting 24CH episode…

• twilighthours says:

Marc, what’s all this about voluntary short shifts?

• Marc10 says:

Apparently Cole, Moen and even Gio voluntarily ended their shifts. Cole didn’t even attempt to go to the door and hoped over the bench and sat his butt down at the end of the bench.

It was a non too subtle shot at the coaches saying this ain’t working and I’m too embarrassed at my own lack of effort to even make eye contact with you…

Just reporting what I’m hearing. It’s doing the rounds. Moen was in heavy discussion with Don Meehan. Make what you will out of it, but I didn’t see Travis fighting out there last night.

Price was saying there was a lot of complaining in the room. I’d imagine he was referring to veterans like Cole and Moen as I don’t imagine the kids or the newbies would be whining.

Something’s up. I wouldn’t be surprised if MT and co have worn out their welcome already. I’m fine with that. If you can’t bring it every night and don’t want to be part of a rebuild, you should be shipped.

Therrien was brought in to change the culture and bring back accountability. So far the ones who are thriving under that regime are the younger players and some the older vets are struggling. Pros like Pleks who still have their foot speed are fine.

Smells like a ‘tanking’ kinda of year all of a sudden. We’ll know what’s up against Tampa Bay. Either we get killed or the universe comes back into order.

In other news, the DD bashers will be happy to know the French press is pulling the plug. They’ve seen enough. And after the TO pasting, even the most anti-fighting among them now agree we need a heavyweight that will fight… And we need it now.

Again, that’s just what’s doing the rounds on the usual channels. Make of it what you will… If this goes south, I suspect Cole, Gio and Moen will not finish the year. Therrien and MB will though.

57. remi_10069 says:

I want a D man who is good, tough and can scrap. Carkner would have been good, Erskine would work, hell I’d take Souray back. The opposition have already figured out that they can bitch slap us despite prust, armstrong (?), boullion…

Moen, Cole, Gionta, Markov…too old and slow

DD too small

Armstrong plain sucks

Emelin looks like he’s on the sauce

pipes

58. Le Jadester says:

Any thoughts on going after Jay Rosehill ?

Habs, OLE !

59. frontenac1 says:

Ok Amigos. Let Marc handle the situation , pour a nice cocktail and watch the final round from beautiful Pebble Beach….Life is Good. Saludos!

60. temekuhabs says:

So, after stinking the joint out last night, they get a DAY OFF??!!???? Dick Irvin, Toe Blake must be rolling over in their graves..

61. Hockey Bob says:

Yes I can’t stand khadri guy been running people all season because he has the Leaf goons to back him.

62. chanchilla says:

bag skating a team that has played 7 games in 10 days is dumb. it’s not gonna help, they could use the rest.

63. Habfan10912 says:

Boyle a healthy scratch again for the Rangers. I love this guy. MB should make a call.

———————————–

I posted this a few days ago. I think it’s worth mentioning again.

Let’s not kid ourselves, the top line so far has been the Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta line, and the 2nd best line has been the kid line of Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher.

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line up to now appears unable to capture its past magic and looks like it won’t capture it again. To say they are struggling is an understatement. So why continue keeping them together?

I see Eller with Cole and Pacioretty as a much better and more lethal combo, and with that combo added to the other productive lines the Habs would have 3 very good scoring lines.

IMHHO, Eller is above Desharnais on the depth chart and I suspect Galchenyuk is too. There’s no doubt about where Plekanec places.

I think Desharnais has proven that he belongs in the NHL, but I am skeptical that it is as a bona-fide 1st line centre and with the depth of centres coming up in the Habs system I already see him dropping down the chart and pretty soon he could very well fall off of it altogether.

• mrhabby says:

A bit premature ( hate that word) to write off the cole line forever..it’s a team sport …stuff happens.

• HardHabits says:

Name me one recent Habs top line that has been effective for more than one season. I can list off 4 lines that were very, very good but only for one season or less:

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
        A. Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
        Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
        Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole should be broken up, but putting Desharnais and Gallagher on the same line is the wrong direction, putting Eller or even Galchenyuk with Pacioretty and Cole is the way to go.

• mrhabby says:

I dont know…you have it figured out. Just saying it may turn around and it may not.

• HardHabits says:

I’d love nothing better than to see Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole turn it around and start scoring as that would open space for the two other lines. I just don’t see it happening. Cole is playing uninterested, Pacioretty’s timing is off, but it is Desharnais that is routinely getting out-muscled and out-hustled. I think Eller has shown some real creativity and puck handling, he enters the zone but has nobody to feed it to. IMHHO, Eller would wake up both Cole and Pacioretty.

• Sportfan says:

Why is it when we ave a good year with one line the next year they aren’t as good like AK AK and Pleks

• Habfan10912 says:

I hate to sound so pessimistic but juggling lines with the current roster is like rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. I’d like to see the kids given an opportunity to grow. The focus should be on developing our young players even at the expense of wins and losses. Do I sound like a tanker?

———————————–

• showey47 says:

I agree. Barring a trade or a ufa signing by next season i feel we are better with pleky,galchenyuk and eller as our top 3 centers then with DD in the mix. I feel he would be better served as a winger where his lack of foot speed and size are less of a liability defensively. With DD being a rfa this year i can’t see MB tying up and money or term in him. Quite frankly we are one lottery pick away from making him expendable all together.

65. mrhabby says:

Bag skate does nothing as far as iam concerned…get on with the trip.

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m no fan of Grabowski, in fact I am usually hoping he is whacked at every opportunity

…but if You had Your forearm mashing My mouth and nose, torquing My head while I am dealing with an adrenaline moment,especially as Grab was stepping in for a young player that Prust was going after, I would have chomped into Your arteries as well

…try putting Your finger in My mouth and You better count Your digits afterward

…but Orr must be suspended for blatently going after the knee of Pleks

67. habstrinifan says:

Bankof Canada spent $476,000 to hire a market research firm to help the Bank decide how to illustrate its new series of polymer $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills. And they ended up resorting back to the tried and true nature and animals.

I coulda told them for five bucks.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the link. I liked this part.
      “Special mention goes to Greg Pateryn, who also put up good numbers this week. He scored his first career AHL goal on Wednesday against Toronto, and added the game winner yesterday against Texas. He’s another player who’s season was hindered due to injuries, but maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.”

There was a poster earlier asking about Pateryn. Maybe he was on to something. Can’t hurt to give the big fella a try.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that was humble old Me Trin :)

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks.. I think with this shortened season moves should be made to stir the pot and find out about our ‘paid empoyees’ in Hamilton. I know there are issues re waivers etc but gotta go for the playoffs this year without trying to make a homerun trade if possible. And this guy is big.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Pateryn is not a kid like Tinordi and Beaulieu …He came through NCAA, and more mature than those two

…whether He is ready for the step-up technique-wise I can’t say …but ‘mature-wise’ He is more ready than The Tinman and Beaulieu I would think

…anyways, I think this a development year anyway …and testing these Kids of Ours at occasions like these are part of the process

• Sportfan says:

I see what you did there haha In all honesty I hope everything works out for Leblanc and that he just keeps on trying and becomes a top player. I saw him at Fairview Mall in the summer and thought he looked kinda tiny, but this might have been before he was adding the weight.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…how ’bout some ‘up from the Farm’ news Frank ??? :(

_________________________________________________________
      Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw

_________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PK !!! :)

68. The Cat says:

Im not advocating biting, but dont put your hands/gloves in peoples faces. Id have done the same thing. A guy cant just let another guy do that, could rake the eyes etc

69. Bogie Man says:

After that performance last evening the boys need some time off. Whatever happened to bag skating?

• Mike D says:

I was hoping they’d get a bag skate too, and then a day off tomorrow. Not sure why they were given one today. As Max said below, didn’t they have last night off as it is?

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Habfan10912 says:

Mike & Bogie, I keep flip flopping on the bag skate. My initial reaction was to punish such a poor effort. After some thought I ‘m not sure it helps. The team has flaws and bag skating won’t do anything to solve them.

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

I really think (and this is just me.. I have nothing to go on but what I think I observe). Let the first word “I” clue you in to it being an opinion, which I dont care one @ar**t what your opinion of said opinion is.

That this team is operating under a pretense of being on the same page. When what has happened is that some players have sat in meetings with the coach-management and convinced the coach and GM that they(those players) have done the introspection and have affirmed to themselves that chemistry was bad last year and it affected the ‘collective’ performance etc. And those players , being veterans, have advised/avowed that if you correct the waywards you will get better performance from themselves. Something like show me a ‘salt of the earth’ type of guy (like myself) and I will show you a guy, together with whom, I can break boulders and forger rivers.

But while there may be some truth there, the deeper more fundamental truth is that these veterans over the past two to three years have not ‘upped their game’ to where they have delivered. They have not paid the price mentally and physically to be better.

No need to name names.

Additional practices where only the coaches coach ( they have a big enough staff) and EVERY FREAKING PERSON works the same and is worked the same and is treated the same will bring this team to the true stage of being in this together. Right now (and remember my warning re this being my freakin opinion) I get the sense that there is a subtle hierarchy group, the members of which are walking around in comfortable shoes assured of their stature after having inhaled from the urns of sactimoniousness, from which only the approved and accepted can get a sniff.

A plain old fashioned practice. A bit of proletariat kick-ass where the mighty and the humbled, the good and the challenging, sweat together, side by side, in the communism of common toil will reap a fuller harvest.

Among the observations which brought me to this conclusion was the public wailing when one of those thus sanctified was cast out and some seemed oblivious that , hockey results wise, he was a Pharisee.

Show me a Crosby on this team and I’ll make an exception. Although a Crosby wont accept one!

• habsgod says:

you hit the nail on the head bogieman i couldn’t agree more! reward them for that disgraceful performance with a day off? therrien is an idiot, scotty bowman would’ve bagged skated these guys until they dropped!

• Bogie Man says:

MT appears a bit soft. He talks tough but actions prove to be soft. I am a Competitive Midget Hockey coach and I still believe in bag skating because it proves that no one person is above the team. One or several guys do not bring play well the whole team suffers. The message this morning by not practicing is going to bite MT in the ass, that I guarentee. Also I would have had a discussion with Ryan White about selfish play but would not penaltise the team by not playing him. He knows he screwed up, the chances are that he will not do it again and we could have used his toughness in the game Saturday night. Again the team does not need to suffer for Ryan’s nonconformist act and lets face it that one penalty did not make us lose the game. MT should have benched a whole lot of other people if that was the case!

70. habsfan0 says:

How the Habs bounce back in Florida after their worse defeat of the season will tell us a good deal about this team.

71. Max says:

I thought the habs had the day and night off yesterday.

72. Chris says:

Gorges’ quote is annoying because Grabovski WAS standing up to a much bigger guy. It was Pacioretty that came in and was grabbing Grabovski from behind. Shouldn’t Pacioretty also be told to be bit more of a man about things?

• Mike D says:

It’s hard to reply to this without sounding like a homer who automatically absolves his own team, but I’ll give it a shot. In a typical hockey scrum, everyone in one jersey generally grabs someone in another jersey and the pile of bodies builds up. I don’t think players necessarily ‘target’ anyone on the opposing side. I think they just get in there and try to pull an opponent off of one of their teammates. What Grabo did by biting Max is ridiculous and I back JG’s comments.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• twilighthours says:

That’s the first rule of hockey scrums – pair up. Second rule is grab the third guy if he’s got your bud.

Looked to me like it was Prust and #47, then Grabo was in there as the third, so Patches grabbed him.

The arm-around-the-neck/face thing happens 5 times a game, not sure why it’s so wrong now that Patches did it.

• Chris says:

Pacioretty was taking it to a bit of an extreme. I’ve definitely seen it plenty of times as well, but Pacioretty was really torquing on his head. I just didn’t like the play when I saw the replay.

I am no fan of Grabovski’s…he’s a bit of a puke. But I thought it was excessive.

73. twilighthours says:

This scenario happens all the time, yet biting is a once-a-season occurrence. So it’s not so much “what would I do?” but more “what do NHLers do?” And what they don’t do is bite each other.

74. mrhabby says:

He has that smug face….disturbs me.

75. frontenac1 says:

Agreed.Biting and scratching is for girl fights.

76. Habfan10912 says:

Or a movie.

———————————–

77. Danno says:

golf…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

78. commandant says:

Moen’s fought once this year which is about his average of 1 fight every 10 games or so in the NHL going all the way back to his time in Anaheim, he would be at 7 or 8 fights a year.

What was he supposed to do yesterday? He was sitting on the bench when the incidents occured. By the time he got on the ice, Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren were in the penalty box/dressing room. So what was he supposed to do?

Hecnce the problem with a goon. What good are they in terms of protection, if they aren’t on the ice when your player is attacked?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

79. Habfan10912 says:

Or a night on the town with frontenac. :)

———————————–

80. boing007 says:

Indoor golf.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

81. twilighthours says:

I’d bid in that auction item.

82. Max says:

Budaj is the least of this team’s problems.Wouldn’t be a great way to treat a guy who from all accounts is a solid teammate and backup who signed here as a free agent.

If anything they should play Boodaj more often. The Tank is up and running and playing Budaj will only accelerate the arrival of the bright future.

84. shootdapuck says:

Budaj is a problem!

He’s paid for performance not fraternity!Same as Gomez,Cole,Gionta!

Quite frankly Budaj is a liability! Shootouts, get real!

At best send him to Hamilton to sharpen his game, if possible.

BTW how many non performing FA signings are regularly called out on this website and in the local media?

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
    “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

85. Habfan17 says:

I respect your opinion and I was attempting to put the defence in their natural positions. You are right, Gorges with \markov and Emelin with Subban would probably work better.

As far as Plekanec goes, my logic is, Eller is showing he can be at worst a very good 3rd line centre, at best a strong two way 2nd line centre, He is 6 years younger than Pleks who has maxed out his potential. Galchenyuk will be the 1st line ceentre, and then there is LeBlanc, Bournival, Nattinen to name a few that will be ready as early as next season. I love Plaks but his value will probably never be higher than this trade deadline and would bring the best return of any player the Habs have. If you are building for the future, you have to make some sacrifices. The way I see it, Trade DD and Pleks and maybe Weber in a package to get a power left wing and a big shutdown D-man. Tinordi may be ready to make the jump, but why rush him and chance something going wrong. Bozon is the best bet right now for 2nd line left wing, but realistically, he is at least 2 years away.

Habfan17

86. Phil C says:

“Markov and Subban would nullify the offensive gifts of whichever one had to be the defensive defenceman.”

I have always believed that putting talent together multiplies it, not nullifies it. Look at Weber without Suter, one assist so far. I personally like the Subban-Markov idea as it should result in getting more offensively out of Markov 5-on-5, and Subban has the wheels to back him up defensively.

Emelin may be fine if they leave him on the right, but I would rather see him on the left as well. Gorges proved when he played with Gill that he can play the right side effectively, so they should use that talent.

87. Mr. Biter says:

No, PTM, don’t turn into a Timo.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

88. habs-hampton says:

That game was his reward for giving Buffalo the win on Thursday night.

You beat me to it.

It would also help if Montreal’s Dmen played like defensemen when in their own end.