A day off for Habs before heading to Florida

The Canadiens were given a day off Sunday to lick their wounds (and bite marks) following Saturday’s 6-0 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Leafs’ Mikhail Grabovski originally had an NHL disciplinary hearing set for 4 p.m. Sunday after being accused of biting Max Pacioretty during a fight-filled third period Saturday. But the hearing will now be done by phone at 11 a.m. Monday.

“That doesn’t belong in our sport,” Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges said after the game. “If you get in there, stand up for yourself, be a man, drop your gloves, and you’ll have respect. But bite somebody? That doesn’t belong in our league.”

Added coach Michel Therrien: “I saw the bite. You can see that on the video. I’m sure the league’s going to pay attention to that.”

The Habs will practice at 9:30 a.m. Monday in Brossard before leaving for Florida, where they will face the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday and the Florida Panthers on Thursday before returning home to face the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Leafs beat Habs in alley and on ice, by Dave Stubbs

Habs stank the joint out, by Jack Todd

Worst home shutout since 1996 for Habs, by Pat Hickey

No post-game rant from Therrien this time, by Pat Hickey

‘The jokers’ took over in third period, by Pat Hickey

Leafs-Habs ugliness shows hockey’s back, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

James Reimer backstops Toronto, by The Toronto Star

Bite Night for Leafs and Habs, by The Toronto Sun

Maple Leafs enjoying life on the road, by The National Post

Habs tickets were a currency of choice for corrupting officials, by The Canadian Press

1. Mr. Biter says:

UND report for Feb10/13
    Kirsto 2 goals 2 assists
    MacMillan 2 assists

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

2. Habfan10912 says:

So biting is now considered a “hockey play” by the WWE, I mean the NHL. When we saw the Bettman/Campbell hatchet men like Milbery telling the world it was Max Pacs fault we should have known. The league credibility takes another hit.

———————————–

3. homerbowen says:

In my humble opinion the following players could be moved (in no particular order); Kaberle, Armstrong, Gionta, Cole, DD, Boullion, and White. As I see it we are a long way from contending so I would add to that list Bourque, Markov and Diaz at or near trade deadline. The trouble is most teams would not be interested in most and offer very little for the few that they would consider.

4. FlyAngler says:

The NHL Office of Player Safety has determined that video evidence conclusively proves that Max Pacioretty bit himself. It also announced that it declined to hold a hearing regarding Colton Orr since it was not clear to them who was initiating the contact and their position that attempting to injure another player would be completely out of character for a highly skilled player like Colton Orr.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

The league has decided to suspend Tomas Plekanec of the Montreal Canadiens for 3 games for clearly demonstrating the intent to initiate a knee-on-knee collision with Colton Orr of the Toronto Maple Leafs, only managing to reconsider and avoid contact at the last possible moment

• FlyAngler says:

Wow, I am shocked that they are only giving him 3 games! Do you think that they are softening their posture towards the Habs?

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

Perhaps they are!

Had there been a collision and Pleks blown his knee apart (obviously through no one’s fault, but his own) his suspension would have been 21 games, immediately effective once his rehabilitation period ended.

5. shiram says:

Grabo not suspended as per Stubbs twitter.

6. Propwash says:

Grabovski not suspended. Par for the course it seems.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

7. Propwash says:

The team sucked as a whole against Toronto. Hopefully they suck it up and bag a frw points on the road.

It was nice to see a good 30+ people at the rink down the street from me. One goalie showed up and just got bombarded with shots. I skated up to him and thanked him for showing up, goalies are slim pickings in outdoor rinks these days.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

8. John Frodo says:

If the Habs were in the Walking Dead what characters would they play.

9. Thomas Le Fan says:

My that was ugly. As is Mick the Knife and his pretty teeth. I’m not sure what was uglier though, the Habs’ game or the Leafs in general. What goes around, comes around they always say.

10. HabsFan1111 says:

My personal thoughts on Saturday:

1) Easiest 37 save shutout EVER. I love how the TO media is praising Reimer, I’ve never seen so many shots pounded into a goalie’s stomach/chest.
    2) Having more fighters on the team would not have made the loss any less brutal. Yes, we would have won a fight or two, still a 6-0 loss, maybe 7 or 8-0 if we had more ‘muscle’ on the ice.
    3) We need to get in the opposing goalies face, score more goals in the dirty areas and be more defensively responsible.

Prediction for Tampa: Habs win 4-1 (being away from the Bell centre seems to serve us well sometimes)

11. shiram says:

Discipline and better faceoffs would help out this team alot more than John Scott.

12. jedimyrmidon says:

Like others, I am wondering just how bad DD needs to falter before Eller gets the chance to play as an “offensive” center with offensive players instead of grinders.

Cole has also been extremely disappointing. Not much else to say, except that I hope he gets his act together.

• Mattyleg says:

I think that Therrien is moving things around, and that Eller will get his chance.
      I also don’t think that DD has been doing that badly, but Cole’s lack of spark isn’t helping matters. Pairing Eller with Cole could end up hurting Eller’s production more than anything at this stage!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

DD just has not been playing well Matty.
        His point total is based mostly on 2 games and he was greatly assisted by Eller on 2 goals.
        Both Eller and DD are losing out to Chucky who now centers what is the Habs second line. Those 3 can’t all get o-zone starts against weak opponents, right now those are mostly Chucky’s assignement, Eller is showing to be usefull out of those protected start, DD is struggling to play.

• jedimyrmidon says:

It’s true that Cole’s lethargy and clumsiness is hurting anyone who plays with him. I’m also thinking that DD, more than most centers in the league, absolutely needs certain conditions to be productive: he needs his wingers to compensate for his lack of size by being big and fast. In that situation, he can play, but if he doesn’t have those kinds of linemates, then it’s very hard to play him with anyone else, and he isn’t a versatile player either.

• Steeltown Hab says:

The “Eller will get his chance” sentiment just holds no value to me considering how many opportunities have come up where you’d think he would. DDs a defensive liability, his team worst -5 puts emphasis on that. His offensive product this year? Non-existent, time for a switch up it’s that simple.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

13. Whatever says:

Personally I’d rather have Steve MacIntyre beside me in any dark alley rather than Gainey. But, Darcy Hordichuk is available on waivers. He can take a 4th liner’s regular minutes, but won’t scare the crap out of other heavyweights looking to end smaller players’ seasons like MacIntyre would.

How is 24CH going to gloss over last week and more specifically last Saturday night?

15. GrimJim says:

CBC news says Patches had to get a tetanus shot for the bite. Apparantly Grabs had been drinking rusty nails…

16. Loonie says:

I’d rather see Therrien and Bergevin take on Nonis and Carlyle in a tag team match.

I can picture Therrien grasping at Caryle’s ankles and biting them while Randy peppers him with punches to the back of the head while Bergevin punches Nonis out cold and then pokes his pudgy belly and laughs at him.

17. CCL says:

These would have been my lines against Tampa Bay:

Bourque Pleks Gallager
    Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gionta
    Prust Eller Cole
    Moen DD White

Should Eller not be doing good – Switch with DD

18. The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

Enoughof this crap, wasen’t MT supposed to like “tough” hockey??

Because we sure don’t see it, the loss itself sucks, but what sucks more is getting humiliated like we did.

If we had a guy like Derek Engelland (who can play pretty good defence and fight) then that would not have happened at all.

I don’t think this is the real Ghost of John, too many grammatical errors in the first sentence.

Did you receive authority from John for the title?

• Clay says:

Perhaps not a ‘Ghost’, but certainly a ‘shadow’ of his former self. Kind of like the decline of Gomez. :)

__________________________
        ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

Thankfully then he is still receiving the big bucks for his writing prowess!

• Clay says:

lol. I’m sure the real Bellyful could earn a decent living as a writer. This guy might have to go on food stamps.
            Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery – or something like that. Although it is a poor imitation.

__________________________

• Clay says:

So John Bellyful I dead then? Although I held out hope that he survived the incident, I feared the worst – which your username has just confirmed. ‘Tis a sad day at HIO.

;)

__________________________

• Cal says:

I’ve read John Bellyful. I’ve chatted with John Bellyful. You, sir, are no John Bellyful.

19. HABZ24 says:

Its the same players,one game they play hard and win, the next are a no show,dont understand it.maybe terriens going off about one thing or another and the guys are holding their stick to tight afraid to make a mistake who knows. Cole and gionta should be pressboxed. Price shoulda been pulled after 2. We better come out flying a smoke the panthers.

GO HABS GO

• Habfan17 says:

I think Therrien really upset Price leaving him in. I base that on his comment, ” I do what I am told” The last thing we need is another “ROY” situation!

Habfan17

20. Twillingater says:

Cole looks like he is sleeping there in that pic!

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

21. jrshabs1 says:

there’s 2 D-men sitting in the press box every night. Could they not be replaced by 2 enforcers who do nothing but dress when the Habs play a teams that physically intimidates and dominates them? I know it would make me feel better…and I’m sure it would make the 2 rooks feel better let alone 2/3 of the rooster. like it or not..it’s time to put the foil on.

Go Habs Go!!

22. munch17 says:

I see from La Presse that Pac was with the 2 Gals in practice today.
    A step in the right direction.
    Pleks line stays the same and Eller is centering Moen and Armstrong. I guess that leaves DD-Cole-Prust.
    How long before anyone other than this thread figures out that Eller needs to be with Cole is anyone’s guess.
    And DD ?
    I’ve posted enough – not effective at all.
    Last year – top line with top minutes and PP time – on a 28th place team – not really pertinent anymore.
    Maybe Guy Boucher wants him…..

23. shiram says:

Average team with an average coach gets you average results.
    Funny that in a game lost 6-0, what we now need is someone to punch the other team, as if that would have changed the already lost game when the shenanigans started.

Glad to see Therrien make a move on the forwards, let’s hope it works out.

Also this game serves as an example of why I dislike the rivalries, sure we get a good game once in a while, both teams playing good hockey with no non-sense. Most of the time they are boring affairs centered on getting the 4 point. But it always ensures the trolls of both teams come out in force with their stupid shallow insults, reflecting poorly on both fanbase.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Steeltown Habs and Lars Eller.

What’s going on there?

It’s getting close to stalking if you ask me.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

25. HankHardball says:

Why hasn’t Eller gotten a real opportunity to center Pacioretty and Cole?

How do you think it makes the players feel when management once again puts other priorities ahead of a commitment to winning?

26. Habsssssssswin says:

Marc Bergevin is not the second coming of Sam Pollock nor Frank Selke, but I do believe he will take the template they used to improve The Canadiens. You keep making trades and changes that will strengthen their team, even if they aren’t popular at the time. You build a top notch organization manned by the best people at all levels.

“You can never set out to build tradition. You start out to build a winner. If you can perpetuate that winner, you might end up with tradition. But tradition is a by-product. It can only be measured after the fact. But the obvious fact, too, is that success breeds tradition. In the case of the Canadiens, the oldest team in professional hockey, they have been blessed through the years with one or two superstars; they’ve always had the Hall of Fame players. That and the fact that tradition will build up when you’re winning because when you are talking about a championship team, there is a lot more stability than you will have on a losing club. Winning clubs don’t change players, coaches or management as often as losing clubs. That’s where tradition is built up.” – Sam Pollock

• Clay says:

We have no way of knowing if Marc Bergevin is the second coming of Sam Pollock or Frank Selke. Let’s allow him to do his job, and history will decide.

__________________________