A $60-million salary cap would hurt Habs in 2013-14

bergevinweb

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that if a new collective bargaining agreement results in a $60-million salary cap for the 2013-14 season, the Bob Gainey-Pierre Gauthier era could come back to haunt the Habs and new general manager Marc Bergevin.

Hickey notes that the Canadiens already have contracts for next season with 16 players with a salary-cap hit of $60.1 million. The Canadiens’ situation is made more challenging when you consider that filling out the roster involves more than finding cap room to sign an assortment of minimum-wage players.

Among the players who are not signed for 2013-14 are current restricted free agent P.K. Subban and top-six forward David Desharnais. There’s also a good possibility Bergevin will require a spare million to sign Alex Galchenyuk to an entry-level deal.

Read more by clicking here.

The Canadian Press reports that the NHL and NHLPA plan to meet Monday for the first formal face-to-face collective bargaining session between the two sides since talks broke down on Dec. 6. The league and NHLPA exchanged more information Sunday on the latest offer from the owners before the union left to meet internally.

Read more by clicking here.

In his Monday Morning QB column, Jack Todd writes: “So Bill Daly’s ‘the hill we will die on’ was really ‘the molehill where we’ll take a nice little nap.’”

Todd adds: “Surprise, surprise: it appears that Daly was exaggerating just a tad. From the beginning of this little exercise in league-directed madness, the apocalyptic rhetoric emanating from the owners’ side provided enough hot air to propel the Hindenburg across the Atlantic.”

You can read Todd’s column by clicking here.

Meanwhile, Dave Stubbs looks back on some New Year’s Eve memories involving former Soviet goalie Vladislav Tretiak, noting that 30 years ago Monday night at the Forum a touring all-star team of Soviets completed a perfect two-night swing through this province, blanking the Canadiens 5-0 only 24 hours after having beaten the Quebec Nordiques 3-0 at Le Colisée. Seven years earlier, to the night, the Canadiens and Red Army had skated to a 3-3 tie in what often is described as the greatest game ever played.

You can read Stubbs’s column by clicking here.

For the latest news from the World Junior Hockey Championship, click here.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

1. nunacanadien says:

Let’s waste one more year with Bettman and Fehr duking it out, and the best result of this will be that Gomez’s contract would no longer be valid, in fact very few of the roster of this rag tag bunch of wannabee hockey players from the China Doll Markov to the Loose Cannon Cole and Dismal Desharnais, dismal cause he can’t even get to within 2 feet of the net cause he’s so smurfy, in fact, wouldn’t it be great if we could just clean house and start all over again? Get real hockey players and not this sad bunch who argue and fight and are players no one wants. Time to stop this Molson, sign real players for once.

2. frankcasting says:

$60 M must include Gomer’s Pile, si? I’ve heard a lot of reports stating that teams will be offered a one-time buyout opportunity that won’t go against the cap (although it may go against the player portion of HRR). You can bet the mortgage that all teams will have a chance to ditch a dud contract to help with the Cap. And saving Gomer’s pile of dough will go a long way toward PK, DD and Alex G squeezing in under $60 or so, and I’m guessing it’ll be a tad more than $60M.

Loving the Habs since 1965

3. RetroMikey says:

A $60-million salary cap would hurt Habs in 2013-14!
    We all have Bobby Gainey to thank for destroying our once proud franchise.
    It will be 3 or more ugly seasons of dismal hockey for our club before we marginally improve back again to respectability and win back fans.
    Better give Bergevin plenty of Tylenol, he’ll have many headaches once the season comes back to fold to clean up Bobby’s mess!
    “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• HockeyGuy123 says:

Bob Gainey did alot of good things to try and clean up a system void of talent at big league level and minor league level. Not sure I would blame him for everything. be thankful that we had injuries and gave us a chance to draft a good player.

4. Elephant Man says:

1975 NYE game, happy New Year to all!

I am not an animal, I just reproduce that way.

5. Ron says:

BullDogs down 2-0 late in 2nd period against Rochester

6. frontenac1 says:

Looking at that picture of Marc and something is not right. Is there something on his head? Think I”ll slow down on the hootch.Gotta make it to midnight.Saludos Amigos!

7. aj says:

I’m just wondering, if only both the League and the PA would have in fact spoke about this issue before right now (they had the whole month of December, and they chose NOT to speak – w/c is pretty childish or from a standpoint, like a husband and wife fighting for nothing!), would that have been move beneficial than dragging this mess?

What’s interesting, if they’re going to meet-up/have a rendez-vous, they really picked the wrong day (What’s more better, meeting a bunch of ppl. talking about money issues or being with your family and friends?). For crying out loud! December 31st, 2012 – New Year’s Eve? We’re here waiting for a stupid announcement on both the NHL and the NHLPA on whether or not they will agree on a new CBA and kick-start a 48-game regular season, on New Year’s Eve! HAHA!! – What a brilliant Idea from both parties to spend, I’m sorry, “WASTE” their time. Also, the location of this meeting is now taking place in New York City. Rather than being happy bringing the new year at Times Square, their inside a room doing discussions which it seems may go to a cancelled season.

The fact that they may spend a few more days before January 11 to hammer out a potential half-season seems telling that we as fans will hear a lot of bickering between both parties. Now that this counter proposal is presented by the NHLPA to the NHL this afternoon, we’re now keeping our fingers crossed on this.

I’m ok that they’re meeting right now to salvage what is left and possibly get a deal done. But if this drags on till June 2013, i don’t think pro-hockey’s going to be the same in North America.

• otter649 says:

Both sides on more than one occasion said they would meet at anytime – the only ones who are complaining about the negotiations are the media (via Twitter for the most part) who have to work on New Years Eve Day & possibly night…….

8. commandant says:

That arena was loud in Russia today.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

9. otter649 says:

Ovechin has became engaged to his Russian girlfriend & tennis player – Future off spring would/should some good atheltic genes….

10. Price07 says:

60 million cap would make things tighter on the habs (as well as tons of other teams). But when you factor in the amnesty buyout of Gomez its really not that bad. Still doable.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Remember Subban is unsigned as well..

• 24 Cups says:

My understanding is the 60M would come into place during the 2013-14 season. It would be tight but doable.

It might be best for both sides to have a one time cap hit of 63-64M for that year. It’s really no big deal in terms of the new CBA. Maximum cost would be less than 30M and would help some teams retain the core of their roster going forward.

11. Boomer says:

Galchenyuk had a nice one timer goal vs the slovaks today. nhl.com has the game highlights if you’re interested.

On another note I’m really hoping for a canada-sweden final. fingers crossed.

12. Habilis says:

Word is that Fehr is going to ask that relocation and expansion fees be included as HRR. That will not go over well.

• pmaraw says:

well it does seem like its related to hockey and stuff

• Habilis says:

I agree, but the owners sure won’t. Jeremy Jacobs might put a hit out on Fehr just for proposing it.

What I’m hoping for is that this is just a bargaining chip for Fehr, maybe to get the compliance buyout to come out of the owners pockets instead of the players, as has been proposed.

• otter649 says:

When the players start to own teams then they can be part of relocation & expansion fees. Expansion is good for players it creates jobs & extends players careers & relocation saves players jobs as a franchise could possibly fold without moving……

• 24 Cups says:

Boomer – If Fehr holds out for that, then the season is lost.

If I’m Bettman I’d tell him to drop dead.

13. pmaraw says:

lovin’ gally! only junior in top 5 not on team canada for scoring, he’s tied for second with 2 goals 5 assists, im sure you all know that tho ;)

• Hobie Hansen says:

With his play on the ice and his points on the score sheet in both junior and the tournament, it is looking more and more like the Canadiens have hit a home run here.

• pmaraw says:

ya, im thinking that gally is more like crosby, playmaker style while yakupov might be more like ovechkin, takes shots like ovechkin anyways. I know thats a pretty bland comparison, but I’m still getting excited about this kid and he’s looking like a good teamguy too

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think Crosby and Ovechkin have or did at certain points reach superstardom. I don’t think Galchenyuk and Yakupov will quite reach that level but both will be stars for sure.

14. Hobie Hansen says:

The best thing for the Habs and their cap situation would be for David Desharnais to play very well, when play resumes, and trade him for a high draft pick or a good prospect. There is just no room for Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Eller and Desharnais.

I think you have to go with Plekanec and Galchenyuk as your 1-2 punch before Galchenyuk eventually passes Plekanec as the clear cut number one. And you have Eller as the 3rd line guy, maybe bumping Plekanec down a spot one day.

I think Plekanec still has 4-5 seasons of 55 to 70 points in him. That behind Galchenyuk who will hopefully produce 75 to 90 points.

So will Desharnais’ contact due to expire first and the salary cap being shrunken I think he’s the obvious choice to be moved, especially if he plays well. Not to mention that Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller are all better players or will be than Desharnais.

• Boomer says:

I think what will most likely happen is Gally will be on the wing to start and eventually be eased into the C position.

There isn’t a rush to get rid of any of those players down the middle.

Yet.

• commandant says:

I agree Boomer.

Short term I see Gally as the winger.

Long term I see Desharnais moved to the wing as Galchenyuk gets accustomed to NHL speed.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t see Desharnais playing wing…

• commandant says:

Why not?

With the exception of Cliff Ronning, the vast majority of small players in recent history, such as Theoren Fleury, Mike Cammalleri, Nathan Gerbe, Marty St. Louis, Tyler Ennis, and others have all been natural centres who have been transitioned to wing… or like Brian Gionta have been wingers to begin with.

The reason is simple. The Centre has to help out defensively, down low. Which is one area that Desharnais is pushed around by bigger players on the cycle game. Where the Winger is able to stay high in his own zone, defending the point man.

Desharnais home/road split in the +/- stat effectively shows that when given last change, and Cunneyworth/Martin were able to control the matchup he did very well last year, but that his line struggled defensively on the road.

I believe that with Desharnais intelligence he would quickly adapt to being a playmaker off the wing.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

The majority of those players you mentioned have better goal scoring ability than Desharnias.

A good small, play making winger, few and far between. We’ll be small enough with Gionta and Gallagher there already.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The rush is fitting under the cap before 2013/14. It is going to be a very tight squeeze even after Gomez is bought out. But yeah, Galchenyuk is looking very good on the wing for the US and Sarnia, I was going to mention that in my first comment as a possibility.

• The Dude says:

Think Calgary was real sorry they traded Martin St Louis,I DO ! Even though I like a much bigger athlete ,I’d have to say that trading D.D. “who’s making under a million” would be done by a persons my people would call a PUTZ! :0

• Hobie Hansen says:

If he keeps putting up noticeable offensive numbers he’s going to be asking for $3 million or more come 2013/14.

• shiram says:

Flames did not trade him, they bought him out, and then Tampa gave him a contract. I agree with Hobie, if Eller/Galchenyuk live up to their hype, Habs won’t have a need for DD.
        Tricky thing with this is the french stuff….

• The Dude says:

You must be republican cause you have both skirted the question….do you think Calgary was sorry? As in if they knew St.LOUIS would become one of the best hockey players in the world , that they passed on him? And I’m assuming your answer is NO? Which is a spin-doctors answer if ever there was one…or some-ones Trolling the Ol fishing line ,lol…(Note for Habsolutely: Shouldn’t you be looking for a milking cow instead of asking people from other countries to not watch the news and be as ignorant as you? And after it runs dry you can butcher it with your Bushmaster military weapon.) :o

15. aj says:

With time running out of from both league and players, it seems that this new year’s eve meeting may come as a head’s up to most hockey fans: If the NHLPA will eventually present a counter offer, I think it will come down to the cancellation of this season by the NHL itself.

16. mark-ID says:

Our boy Gally is tied for second(with Huberdeau)in tournament scoring with 7 points in 4 games. Not bad considering his points have been fairly quiet ones. He just seems to get the job done.

Nugent Hopkins leading with 11 points.

17. Mr. Biter says:

Word out of Winnipeg TSN Sports Radio that Kane wants out. Would we want him and at what price?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

18. Propwash says:

Heading out to Val Saint Come for a new years party at a friends chalet. Happy new year everyone and all the best to you and yours!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

19. rhino514 says:

The thing about being in cap trouble is always there and always exagerated for any team relatively c lose to the cap. It hardly ever ends up being a problem.
    Remember last season when everyone was wondering how the bruins could survive without dismantling the team, or the devils and the flyers for that matter? The only team i can remember in recent memory that had to give away major assets without getting enough back is the Hawks after their Cup win. And since they won the Cup, which is the goal of every team in the NHL, who really cares? They can rest on their laurels for a few years.
    I love Desharnais, but either he or Eller is going to be traded, with the emergence of Galchenyuk, so I don´t think it should be too hard to get something back which is fair value and less of a cap hit; quite possibly future assets.
    Also, from what I understand, buying out Gomez in his last season, or sticking him somewhere (I assume one of the two options will be available after the new CBA comes into place) could be done without it hurting the team too much.
    I think therev are other clubs who are in a much tighter spot than the habs in this regard.

20. Fake says:

Can the editor of this article please take the “Galchenyuk entry deal needed” out of this column? He’s already been signed. That is really sad the columnist didn’t even know that or research it.

21. Lafrich says:

Timo, I need to quote you from 2 days ago: “Subban Jr. reminds me of Tokarski in 2009 – couldn’t stop a beach ball to save his life. That crazy semi final game against russia where Eberle tied the score with like 8 seconds left – Canada could have coasted to an easy win were it not for Tokarski who let every shot in.

Subban will be/is the same – the only hope that the forwards can score 5 or more goals every game.”

Spot on Timo. Spot on.

So I think the choice for Subban as #1 was the right choice. Having said that, is there any risk that one of the backups should have gotten a bit more gametime just in case?

23. dhenry1234 says:

Here’s something for discussion.

20 Years from now, who will be considered the better goalie? Carey Price, or Malcolm Subban.

24. frontenac1 says:

Yakupov? Canada did its talking on the ice!

While I agree, and I love the win, we haven’t won anything yet. Boys need to keep going with the momentum and disciplined play. The team has shown they CAN be the team to beat, they just need to make sure they dont beat themselves.

CHeers Amigo, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

A perfect game by Canada. They get the much needed bye with only two more hurdles to cross.

Today’s poll question is: which crisis will be resolved first, the fiscal cliff in the USA or the lockout stalemate in the NHL?

Which begs a second question. Who’s the bigger arsehole, Bettman, Fehr or Boehner?

All things considered, it looks like the first week of 2013 should be pretty interesting.

26. accp says:

Good job Team Canada – Bring it Home

27. Fake says:

OKAY. This is really pissing me off, I’ve seen this a couple of times and now in a figgin column… ALEX GALCHENYUK WAS SIGNED ALREADY. Don’t believe me? DO YOUR RESEARCH FFS.

28. Habfan10912 says:

Funny story. Yesterday I tweeted a comment about NY Jet Coach Rex Ryan. I have given him a nickname, Coach Foot Fetish and called him that yesterday. This morning I wake up and my direct message box is filled with picturs of women’s feet. At least I think they’re women’s. Why didn’t I nickname him Coach NiceLegs or Coach boobies or something. Man, I am dumb. CHeers and Happy New Year.

———————————–

29. Blondie says:

Empty-netter from 190 feet, lovely.

Woohoo, this game is over!!!

Canada is still very fortunate for the early major penalty. If we end up facing Russia again, i expect a closer game.

Good Shift there by Yakupov.

Watching Boone Jenner, reminds me of how good our former draft pick Kyle Chipchura looked at the WJC when he played.

33. Mavid says:

McGuires a cheerleader?

Canada has played a strong game. Russia starting to show a little push back here, but the depth of Canada is so impressive.

35. Mavid says:

dollarama..ha..for cheerleaders they are pretty ugly outfits…I thought they were hired for what is on the outside not the inside

First time I really noticed Grigorenko

37. jols101 says:

What a shift by Jenner and his line. Eating up precious minutes by dominating in the Russian end. Awesome.

38. Mavid says:

amen to NO McGuire…

39. Blondie says:

Great work from McKinnon in the corner, took a while but got a good chance out of it.

So, if (huge IF) there is a season this year, what will happen with PK contract, Mr. Bergevin? No problem wasting money signing other useless stiffs, but your best dmen now and for a foreseeable future… what about that guy?

So while I don’t really like Ferraro as a hockey analyst, way better than listening to Pierre MacGuire overhype every single play. Thanks NBC for hiring the blowhard.

Man, how would I have loved to be in Ufa now. Look at the women? Le sigh.

43. Propwash says:

Stupid question, has the Russian goaltender been drafted by any team in the NHL?

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

44. Mavid says:

I was wondering about the costumes too WTF..time to eat before the 3rd…

• Blondie says:

I think masked balls or parties for new Year celebrations are becoming a bit of a trend. I saw a news item yesterday about Toronto area costumers doing big business on masks.