58 players head to Habs main camp

The  Canadiens announced today that 58 players will participate in the 2010-11 training camp. Players will report for physicals and medical exams at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard tomorrow.

The Canadiens first on-ice session will take place at the Bell Sports Complex on Saturday. The training camp will run until Wednesday, October 6, and include a stay in the Charlevoix area from October 3-6, in preparation for the season opener against the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Center on Thursday, October 7.

Fans will have first-come, first-seated access to Bell Sports Complex stands for scrimmages Sept. 18, 19 and 20.

1. nunacanadien says:

Excellent post!  Move the old away and start anew.  The negotiations are largely done, so what other choice do we have but with the players we now have.  Turn on the ignition key and hang on for the ride of your life as they say, or lack thereof as only Pierre Gauthier is driving the habs bus.

2. DD says:

Great post HH, it takes a brave man to admit when he is wrong and then, even more balls to correct it. I often wondered why some people chose to spend so much time spouting negative comments. Although I tend to lean towards the ‘glass half full crowd’, it’s probably because I’ve always believed that if something drags you down, you get rid of it, before it encompasses your whole life.

Now if we could find a way to spray Tony242 with a giant dose Kwelada.

Thank you.

4. Mr. Biter says:

Well Jimmy B should make some of the pre season games interesting however can he skate without tripping over the blueline? All kidding aside has he ever played any games at the NHL level (beside pre season)? I am however looking forward to the upcoming season. I think we have become a very good team starting from the playoff run and with some of the additions made over the summer we look pretty solid all the way down the lineup. i’d rather have Moore or Metro (does anyone on the site know what his contract demands were and why no one else picked him up during the off season?) than Darche , but I guess you can’t have everything you want. It will be hard for anyone from the Dogs to make the Habs at the start of the season compared to last year were if my memory is correct we started the season with 3 or 4 “young guns” all of who ended up back with the dogs. This year it seems we have a full NHL lineup where any “young guns” will have to work their butts off to unseat a NHL level player and work their way on to the team instead of being given a spot to lose.

5. Aerobiz says:

Great post HH. And good on you for putting yourself out there and wanting to a source of honest positivity as well as positive honesty.

I’m looking forward to posting with you and our fellow H I/O’ers next Wednesday.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

6. Dr-Watson says:

Well, I guess when you can only pick and choose something that will make your case, it is nothing more than another desperate attempt at trying to be creative. It just reflects your usual mundane and frivolous posts.

7. joeybarrie says:

Good post. I had wondered what happened. I said to myself, isn’t this HH, the guy who agrees with tony??? Yet all of a sudden your posts were interesting and had some good points. You were somewhat agreeably to the things I thought and for awhile I studied the response for sarcasm… So you threw me for a loop.

I was a big big supporter of putting in Price towards the end of the Wash Series since Halak was getting nowhere. However they stayed with him, and he won the game. At that point I was simnply hoping the Habs would make it close so I would get some people here in DC worried. I was so happy after that 2nd win. My point of all this is the previous evening I had put out a post that was pretty negative and was asking for an explanation as to why Price would be given a chance.  Next day I made fun of myself because everyone remembered my post and how incredibly wrong I was. For the whol series I jokingly put out a post calling for Price before each game. It worked cause we won.

Your change reminded me of myself in this case. Kind of funny how crazy we get in here…

I am glad that you are wise…..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. Malreg says:

Physicals are tomorrow.

He still looked better as a Hab. 😉

10. ShangaDoo says:

omg, that got me soo excited. I cannot wait!

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Wasn’t very nice of him to steal them from Desharnais though…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. Born in a Bad Year says:

I was just noticing in the Vancouver papers that David Fischer, who was invited to their camp, was just released.  Not signed to the Moose, just released to the ether.

Funny how a former first round draft can just disappear like that.

So I’ve decided to come clean about my transformation as your friendly neighbourhood HH (troll baiting aside).

Many of you might remember me as the person who wanted the Habs to turn the page on the Koivu era two season’s ago (that’s to put it nicely). At that point I had read these pages for a while before posting but lost it during that great meltdown™ which led to the great purge™.

I was at first pretty offensive and got constantly hammered by the commetariat. After realizing that I was perturbing to many posters I lightened up a bit. Yes I became a tankologist™ for a while but that all ended when the Habs made it to the 3rd round. I still laced my posts with acridity and chose to follow a path of provocation in the written word.

Then a funny thing happened on the way to posting something very negative. I read a Tony242 post. I realized then my friends, even though it was an idea that had already been brewing within me, that negativity on its own has no legs to stand on. In fact it is merely a downward force falling down, worse, crawling into the earth, not unlike a slug, reaching lower and craving the murky and soiled depths.

I looked at this Tony242 creature, who was latching onto my posts, not unlike a slug or a parasite, and felt an immediate need to douse myself in a virtual Kwelada or disinfectant, to cleanse myself of the wretched creature that was attempting symbiosis. It dawned on me that balance was required, that positivity was also by contrast an upward moving tendancy, reaching for the heights, an honourable and noble trait, to create and bring forth a building, a re-building, a chrysalis, as a pheonix rising from the ashes, ideas that sought to enliven and enrich.

This was of course in contrast to the Tony242 posts which sought to do the opposite.

Now, in no way do I support any type of blind adherence and still cannot stomach overtly cheery blue-blanc-rouge colored glasses points of view, especially when they lack any connection to reality.

The bottom line is that the troll phenomenon that occured after the Halak trade made me a better person. I looked at how people were mis-behaving and saw a more enlightened approach to doing things.

A fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Yes, Tony, you have helped me along the path towards wisdom. I thank you!!!

14. RiverviewCanadien says:

I think it helps this year…it had to be tough at the end of his brothers career, I mean you want him to succeed (being family and all), but you still have to focus on your own.

I agree, it became a distraction at times.

15. Chuck says:

Hopefully, with his brother not around to be a distraction, he’ll really be able to focus himself this season.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I wantr to see him just dump some Loafs on their butts on Oct. 7th, upending Staal in the playoffs like he was nothing was awesome.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. ooder says:

ak46 is a freaking rock.

when he applies himself and tries he is practically unstopable

88 is the new 23

18. SmartDog says:

Good post.  I think Miller would be the one guy I would say is a true star money goalie today.   To me Luongo and Fleury are jokes.  So over-rated it’s not funny.   But Miller… that guy is money.   Who knows, Halak could be the next Miller.  Or Price.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

19. RiverviewCanadien says:

That was a good one! Thank you for posting that link. Could have used some Pleks though =-)

Seriously, if Andrei Kostitsyn can lay out hits like those, and still have hands this season…he has one of the best releases in the East (IMHO). I hope he has a good one this year. Kostitsyn

20. Chuck says:

Lifts in his skates?  😉

21. Bill J says:

Well then there is ONE exception to your #2 looks good in Montreal

Red Light!

22. scrowe21 says:

That was pretty damn good

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Pouliot wasn’t at rookie camp though, he’s going to get them with the rest of the squad I imagine. I doubt Engqvist grew an inch either, he was 6’4″ when he signed as 21-year old I’m pretty sure, hard to grow after you’ve hit 21.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

You can’t count the years prior to 1979. I should’ve said since Patrick Roy.

25. Bill J says:

physicals are tomorrow.

26. likehoy says:

are you sure they haven’t all gotten physicals? are they doing that on monday?

the rookies definitely have their physicals done…subban’s weight has been updated and engqvist has apparently grown an inch.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

27. HabFab says:

Ian, there are only 32 forwards on the list.

Goaltenders – Champion and Delmas fighting to be 5th goaltender.

Defenseman – Ellis,Stejskal and Tinordi back to Junior and College. Bisaillion and Desnoyers don’t see much future as we already have 15 D under contract.Would have to really shine to get a contract for either. Basically 7 per team with Picard as the swing man.

Forwards – Gallagher,Leblanc and Lefebvre back to Junior. Leaves 29 signed forwards. Eller is a bit of a question mark to start with Montreal but if healthy should make it. Darche can be replaced only by a real strong camp from MaxPac or White. Maxwell may have a crack if Eller isn’t ready, Max hopefully may have picked up some of the “learning how to win” thing Gomez said that our young players learned in last years playoff run.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure these playing weights are from last season’s camp, only some players have had new weights entered in, they should all have new ones after their physicals to kick off camp.

Pouliot said he gained 11 pounds this off-season, pretty stupid thing to say if the scales are going to prove you wrong at camp.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. Chuck says:

See: Bunny Larocque.

In the four Cup-winning years as a backup, he won 79 games, lost 13, and tied 15… with 10 shutouts.

30. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Off topic…BUT SO GOOD!!

AHHH that’s the best habs mash-up I think I have EVER EVER seen.

31. likehoy says:

in comparison to what’s listed on TSN.ca…

andrei kostitsyn lost 6 pounds

pacioretty gained 12 pounds

pouliot gained and lost 0 pounds….fail.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

Two Rosters to fill—Montreal and Hamilton. Who will make which Team?

13 Centers

13 Right Wingers

!9 Left Wingers

45 forwards total

6 Goal Tenders

8 Right Defence

12 Left Defence

20 Defence total

33. Bill J says:

So true.

Dryden and his famous pose, was as a result of the team in front of him being so damned good… He was bored!

Apart from Patrick Roy every other goaltender the Habs had and that moved on was never as good as they were with the Habs. Think about it. Huet and Theodore are glaring examples. Why is that? Something about being a back-up in Montreal that makes a goalie better as Montreal’s #2 than being anybody else’s #1.

Anyways a goalie is supposed to be a saver not a saviour!

35. Habhopeful says:

James Neal (sigh) & Matt Kiskanen Sign…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

36. Bill J says:

Hey if the two prospects are Erik Johnson & David Perron.

Buh-Bye Markov.

37. Dr-Watson says:

PG, traded him along with a 2nd round draft pick, to St. Louis for two prospects and a 6th round draft choice.

38. BJT says:

Agree completely. I wanna see Pyatt-Boyd-Eller as the third line and Moen-Halpern-Laps as the fourth.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Lapierre had a 15-goal season in 08-09 and has very underrated hands, he can play with Eller.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Chips says:

Should be a helluva camp!!!! Go young guns go!!!!

25 in 2011

41. newbrunswick troy says:

A while back , someone talked about so many teams needing goaltending  (i agree )  and upon thinking about it, i noticed that there are no “real” superstar goalies in the league right now…..Luongo —i think not!!

Brodeur..past his prime , although he was definitly that last true blue chip

It seems to me ( and Ken Holland, RedWings) that a team should not invest too much into Goalies…maybe send that money to a good centerman….Why,  because the “Tenders” of today seem to be streaky, a great year or so, then they fade away..Look at Chris Mason…top of the world , but for how long?////Remember Huet…good long enogh to get the big contract,then what, ride pine ??

The Leafs were sure they had studs a million times over….so did the Sens..It seems all the Good goalies are just that..good for example  Lundquvist…good but not going to win cup good!!!

Yes upon thinking hard about this i can,t help but wonder how “crappy of a year”our very own Halak is do to have!!!!  That said don,t expect the world from Price..he like every other goalie can,t compete against these new composite sticks and tweeked rules to favor goal scoring!!!!At best he can hope for a year or so of good luck, like every other so,so goalie in the league>>.and hopefully the Habs don,t jump then to sign long term or they may just end up with a Vancouver type problem Luongo..10 more years at 8 mil.   all fore average numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats just my opinion>>>>Equal time has been set aside by this broadcaster for yours  (vote green)

42. mike g says:

He skates like I do, very choppy…

Not a silky smooth skater like some are, he really diggs his skates into the ice. And you lose speed and energy when you constantly do that.

Lapierre is the same, so is Hamrlik.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

43. solomio says:

Why do I keep seeing this combination being named: a line of Moen-Eller-Lapierre ?

Eller is meant to be a goal scorer. Why would you put him on a line with those 2 block heads?

I would like to see 3 lines being definite scoring threats and a hammer and nails with outstanding defensive capabilities 4 th line.

I would also like to see OByrne get more ice time allowing him to develop into the punishing defenceman that he can be.

44. The Cat says:

You know what Gauthier said: “No one’s job is safe!” OMG lolz

45. Malreg says:

Isn’t that the Flying V from the mighty ducks? :p

46. SeriousFan09 says:

He also needs to become a better skater to break the NHL. Love the heart he has, he’s got some good skills but when you’re 5’6″ with your skates on, you need to be lightning-fast and Desharnais doesn’t have that.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. mike g says:

I have a feeling he’d make the team as a winger…

Too bad he’s a centerman. The kid has a ton of talent, but his frame might just be too small to be a top line centerman in the NHL.

If he’d convert to the wing, he’d have a real good shot.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. punkster says:

I’d love to see him make a strong impression and get a shot this year.

49. mike g says:

I’m really pulling for Markov…

I hope he makes the team. He will miss camp due to his injury, but I hope the Habs can see past that and keep him with the big club.

He’s a good player, you guys will all see, and he deserves to play in MTL and not in Hamilton.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. adamkennelly says:

not aggravating enough apparently for say 85% of NHL GMs.  Last time we brought back an injured and old former NHL caliber tough guy.  I’m not even advocating that type of player but at least lets find a few guys who can take care of business and play a regular shift.  You think Darche taking up a roster spot adds more value then say a Scott Thornton or Chris Neil or Brandon Prust.  I still say Habs have a fantastic team if they were playing in Europe..this is the NHL and most teams- if not all teams in the league are ahead of Habs in terms of addressing this portion of the game.

P.S.  I would bet a weeks pay that if you took an anonymous survey of current Habs players (think Cammy, Pleks, Gio, Gomez) they vote close to unanimously for improving that dept – only disenters would be the guys losing their jobs.  anyone who has ever played competitive hockey knows how little fun it is to skate outgunned and intimidated.

51. HabFab says:

Bonneau is signed to an AHL contract with Hamilton. Neilson was not resigned, possibly medical but not sure.

52. Say Ash says:

Justin.tv worked last year

53. bostonantifan says:

Does anyone know if preseason games are streamed anywhere on the net?

54. Bugs says:

C’moooon, Desharnais!

Make me a believer, baby!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

55. John Q Public says:

New Strategy The Big Arrow

Big 3 go clear the way,

Little package follows,

Price w/ puck upto the center line

& let the fun begin!

56. mike g says:

LOL, thanks for the link…

But I still can’t understand what’s up with AK. Man that dude looks stoned 24/7, his face looks soo busted in the picture!

And his hair, lmao….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

57. petrov14 says:

but for extra fun have Gionta and Desharnais on defence!

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

58. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m not 100% certain, but I think the Toronto Raptor was the first one to do the “eat the cheerleader” thing.

59. John Q Public says:

I smell a new forward line.

Perhaps we put O’Bryne-Gill-Tinordi together fore some pre season fun.

Nobody would say we were small then!

60. petrov14 says:

Does Boone do a pre-season Blog to get himself into game shape?

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

61. Harani says:

There are some really nice pics of the guys at the Golf tourney today up on the Habs Facebook page. Spatch rocking the turtleneck, Pouliot and his 100 000$ Nissan GT-R, Gio and his hummer, Pricey looking good, everyone getting a cheap group deal on the T-Shirts, Ryan O’Byrne, Tom Pyatt looking lost, Price’s bromance with Youppi, Gomer starting the controversy off by wearing a San Diego Chargers cap that looks sooo much like the Sabres. Check it out!

“It must be love!”

62. Danno says:

Totally unrelated, but maybe Youppi could learn a trick or two from this guy

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

63. Chorske says:

What’s aggravating is the notion of clogging up a roster spot with a one-dimensional bruiser.

I keep thinking back to the last time we brought in a NHL-caliber tough guy. And how well that panned out.

64. adamkennelly says:

why is Jimmy Bonneau invited to training camp?  Where is Eric Nielson?  why don’t the Habs concentrate on finding an NHL caliber tough guy who can play regular minutes instead of worrying about who will be taking care of that role in the AHL.  Ryan White, Alex Henry and Ian Schultz will all likley end up being in Hammertown – leaving the parent club with literally no one on most nights barring the token call up after the team get smacked around.  Its aggravating.