40 years later, Tretiak is revered in Montreal

Vladislav Tretiak

Vladislav Tretiak stoned Team Canada in Game 1 of the 1972 Summit Series. Forty years later, photographed here in his Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel suite in January 2012, he’s loved by fans in Montreal, where he enjoyed some of his greatest games.
Allen McInnis/The Gazette

Forty years ago on Sept. 2, 1972, Soviet goaltender Vladislav Tretiak stunned Team Canada and the world of hockey with a brilliant performance to backstop his team to a 7-3 Montreal Forum win over the host nation.

Game 1 of the historic 1972 Summit Series lifted the curtain on the most important hockey series in history.

Dave Stubbs remembers Tretiak’s performance and the lasting impact he’s had on the game and on fans in Montreal, who love him today and welcome him warmly every time he returns to this city.

Below: Tretiak in January 1972, eight months before the Summit Series.
© AFP/Getty Images

Below: Tretiak’s brick in the Canadiens’ Bell Centre Centennial Plaza.
Courtesy Szymon Szemberg, IIHF

1. Wintercount says:

Use the above pic of Tretiak’s equipment as the standard, then we w actually get to see “a great glove hand” again, not a flailing Mitt the size of a “B” ball.

ex nihilo nihil fit

2. Newf_Habster says:

I remember it well that Tretaik wanted to play for Montreal so badly in 1984 or so, but the freaking pinko government did not allow him to get his wish.

3. HABZ24 says:

the owners do own the league so give them 51 %, of the pie, players 49 % ,the rest can be worked out as the season goes on, shows good faith, drop the puck !!

GO HABS GO

4. chanchilla says:

how the mighty have fallen, ovechkin is ranked behind scott hartnell in the fantasy rankings.

• Steven says:

Maybe he’ll surprise a few people this year with a new coach, but it seems Ovechkin’s already on the downswing. Makes you wonder if it would do the Pens any good trying to get him to be the winger that Crosby’s been needing(of course, it would probably cost someone like Malkin or Letang and then some)

• Strummer says:

Hence the term “Fantasy”

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

5. JayK-47 says:

I’m reading up on the NHL 13 online GM mode and think I’m gonna spring for a copy on opening day (or release day, idk)

Anybody interested in starting a HIO league?

Add me on PSN c/o: SavageUSMC

For you older guys, telegraph, pony express and morse code won’t work, has to be online, sorry.

Add a lil “I’m a HIO guy (gal, whatever)” so I know to accept. I’m kind of a big deal on Battlefield so I get a lot of spam.

6. savethepuck says:

Our Canadian boy Milos just lost to Andy Murray. Good that he made the round of 16 in a major though. I don’t think I can remember the last time a Canadian men’s tennis player was ranked 15th in the world in singles

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• BrianSkrudland says:

Murray put on an absolute clinic in picking Raonic apart. I applaud Raonic’s guts. He never stopped battling, despite Murray’s constant displays of dazzling shot-making.

I have not followed tennis – other than the major tournaments – over the past five years, but having a Canadian, like Raonic, on the scene has certainly kept my attention on a more consistent basis this past year.

• savethepuck says:

Ditto, never watch tennis, except the odd women’s game for the wet t-shirt factor, but in any major sport, when there is a top ranked Canadian, I follow and cheer him on. He’s only 21, has the wicked serve and lots of time to improve other points to his game.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• JF says:

Raonic’s game was below par tonight in all aspects: his serve was not as good as usual, he made far too many unforced errors, and he won almost none of his net points. But in general that match showed how much work he still has to do; he needs to be quicker around the court, and his return game is nowhere near the level necessary to really compete with the top players. He has a lot of potential and he’s made great progress over the last couple of years, but he’s still got a way to go.

• savethepuck says:

No secret his strong point is his serve and he has to work on other points of his game, but he’s only 21. He can’t break the top players in the game, but if he works on other aspects of his game he can probably change that. He still has one of the best serves in tennis, which is a major plus. I think every time Murray broke his serve tonight, the wind was in his face. No wind tonight, I’m thinking it may of been a closer match, even though he couldn’t break Murray.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

7. habstrinifan says:

I know I know I should not be reading hockeyyinsiderr but he has a rumour that Pens may be interested in AK46 to play with Crosby.

Leaving alone the merits of hockeyyinsiderr, I find myself hoping that AK46 actually gets a chance to play with someone like Crosby.

We all agree that AK46 is blessed with abundant skills and above average size etc. He has never played with someone like Crosby. It might be a great pick-up by the Pens.

• savethepuck says:

I’ve always been a huge fan of AK. He took a lot of abuse from fans because he was supposedly inconsistent. 20-25 goals consistently in his career is not inconsistent to me. I think the main reason for the fan abuse, to no fault of his own, was he was chosen 10th overall in 2003, probably the strongest draft in recent memory. I personally chalk up the strength of that draft to a lot of players developing later.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• twilighthours says:

Averaged 20 goals over five seasons, threw 100 useless, half -hearted hits, scored in bunches then went weeks without showing up, was brutal in the playoffs.

I’ll pass

• savethepuck says:

Didn’t average his goals/year in his career. I am only seeing:
          07-08 26 goals
          08-09 23 goals
          09-10 15 goals in only 59 games ( less than 3/4 of a season )
          10-11 20 goals
          11-12 16 goals between 2 teams, most of the year on his 1st team, he was in the dog house.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed! So true and so sad.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, this isn’t even a “rumour”, it’s an outright fabrication. You can’t quote this kid’s stuff, you’re playing into his game. It’s not a question of taking his stuff with a grain of salt anymore, the whole site needs to be shunned, starved of attention.

Notice the fabrication involves the Canadiens and Penguins again, two teams that will generate hits, as opposed to the Preds and Hurricanes.

• habstrinifan says:

I understand. I think AK46 going to KHL would be unfortunate though. I dont think the HABS have had a better skilled forward than this guy since maybe Le’Clair. If someone could bring it out.

• Newf_Habster says:

If there is a block or ignore button here, you would be the first person that I will press it.

8. kempie says:

People, I live in Ontario so I can’t, but if you live in Quebec, do your provence and the country a favour and please get out to vote tomorrow. It matters.

9. HFX-HabFan says:

So with Bourque on the shelf, anyone think Bergevin will go after Huselius?

• HabFab says:

Huselius according to last reports has still not been able to resume skating from his injuries last season.

• savethepuck says:

someone else will fill the position while Bourque is out. The 2nd line LW wasn’t guaranteed Bourque’s out of camp anyway. He had to earn it.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

10. JohnBellyful says:

Globe reporting Tiger Woods has become the first $100-million man on the PGA Tour, by placing third in the Deutsche Bank Championship and winning $544,000.
    Now before you make any snippy remarks about his never having to face Bob Barker on the golf course, having his game undone by an indestructible gopher, or getting cross-checked on the greens while sinking a putt, just remember all the miles he had to walk to win those millions.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not a separatist and I loathe Pauline Marois, but if a vote for the PQ is a vote AGAINST the Nordiques, I might need to do some soul searching.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

12. egold98 says:

Hey all,

What’s the odds PK signs this week?

Any news on the Money All Candy Ends?

Tretiak to me is one of the top 5 goalies from the 70’s on. Tournament after tournament he would show up and be brilliant.

Patrick, Martin, Tretiak, Hasek and Dryden. I realize stats may include others, but those were the goalies whom when I watched hockey could absolutely win games virtually by themselves.

• saskhabfan says:

I can’t believe its been over an hour and one of those “realists” hasn’t told you there isn’t a “se’ in halak. Or does this list only contain starting goalies,not backups?

• habs001 says:

The Soviet Union basically had their best players in 4 teams playing a very limited sched and the rest of the time their national team played or practised together all year…90% of their games were vs weak teams…they only played a few games vs teams of any quality every year…

15. JohnBellyful says:

And now for something eerily familiar, from the whoddathunk it file

Rory is killing me right now. Has to find a way to pull this out. Oh Louis just did him a huge favour.

17. ed lopaz says:

I must say that if I was an NHL exec I certainly would not be happy with a PQ win tomorrow.

A PQ win will bring uncertainty to Canada for the next 5 years.

Uncertainty, coupled with some recovery down south, will lead to a significantly lower value for the Canadian dollar.

A lower Canadian dollar makes a Quebec franchise much less attractive.

Its basic economics.

A lower Canadian dollar will put a lot of negative pressure on the revenue Canadian teams will earn and that will hurt the owners and the players as well

• egold98 says:

Wow I never thought of that actually… Although don’t hockey players (Montreal Canadiens) get special treatment if signing here? Like can their kids still go to English schools and they still get paid in American dollars?

I figure most NHL players don’t really care about politics. All the main election issues don’t really affect their lives (I know its an ignorant comment and shouldn’t be accurate, but I think there’s some truth to it). They make a ton of money and probably don’t live in this province year-round.

That being said, hope the PLQ wins and PK Subban signs this week! That would make for a killer week!!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The lower Canadian dollar will be the result of the next global recession, not tomorrow’s sub-national election.

When you consider how unpopular separation from Canada is right now in Quebec (according to some poll I read, but can’t site properly right off the top of my head) a referendum on Quebec sovereignty should end all fears of Quebec separation for the foreseeable future and stabilise the country.

The biggest threat to the NHL economically is the potential for the demand curve in the USA to make a sharp move sideways in the wrong direction.

18. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Yo, just heard over the wire that Hudon hurt himself in a exhibition game this weekend, I didn’t catch any news of it in the comments because I’ve been out of town (and internet service) for the past few days.

Does anyone have an update? Good Lord I hope it’s not his ACL……..

• HabFab says:

It is his ankle, see previous post but not a lot of details yet. Most likely waiting for the swelling to go down to determine damage.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Go back to the previous post, it’s all discussed near the top.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I see now, like I said, I was out of internet service for a few days, I made a post this morning, but did not read the whole page (partially because JohnBellyful had me falling out of my chair laughing)

Either way this sucks, I hope that Hudon doesn’t become damaged goods.

19. otter649 says:

@Dave Stubbs – Heard your radio interview this morning on The Fan590 in Toronto concerning The 1972 Summitt Series. It was an interesting look back at the series hearing it discussed orally rather than written……

20. HabFab says:

Rookie chirps to the vet, who gives it right back;

n8THEggr8 Thanks for the follow @jgorges26 , I got more followers then you tho …

jgorges26 @n8THEggr8 ya I noticed that. Your such a stud who wouldn’t follow you

21. HabFab says:

Gally played in his first exhibition game for the Stingers today. Wore an “A” and apparently played a pretty good game;

Habsfuture RT @RossyYoungblood: Final Score: Sarnia Sting 6, London Knights 2. 3 Stars: 1st Sarault (1G 3A) 2nd Boucher (2G 1A) 3rd Galchenyuk (2A)

22. Un Canadien errant says:

Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated thinks Jean Charest might have been guilty of scare-mongering this weekend, when he predicted a PQ government would stall the return of the Nordiques.

———————————————————————–
    This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• HabFab says:

Only in Quebec would hockey interfere with politics. As in this article and below;

KevMio – So PQ handlers try to convince us that hecklers yelling Canada at Marois were really saying Kanata, home of the Sens. Really?!!! pathetic

• habsfan0 says:

I think at this point in the campaign,according to the latest polls,it is Charest who is scared.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

When Jean Charest suggests that the return of the Nordiques can only happen with a “Liberal” government, does he mean that only they can create/maintain the right economic conditions, or does he mean that the Nordiques could only ever really be a “viable” business proposition if the government gives them a free arena?

• Un Canadien errant says:

No no no Sean, you got it all wrong. It’s not the government giving the Nordiques a free arena, it’s you as a taxpayer giving Pierre Péladeau a free arena, so you can provide him with content for his TV network and cable company, for which he’ll charge you handsomely.

It’s all about perspective.

• frontenac1 says:

Peladeau is a punk. In his Franco papers he stirs up the separatists,in the Anglo press he stirs up the right wing rednecks. Anything for a buck! All you Lads down there in Quebec, Get Out The Vote!! The separatists are counting on you staying Home. Good Luck Amigos! We are with you!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

:) So, Charest IS saying that he’s only guy crooked enough to land the Nordiques. That’s what I thought he was saying.

• ed lopaz says:

double post

23. HabFab says:

PKSubban1 via twitter – Watch me tomorrow morning on Canada AM!

24. showey47 says:

Don’t know if anybody else posted this link but i think it was well done.

25. Thomas Le Fan says:

I remember it well. Tretiak was brilliant and our goaltending was … not. Just like the New Year’s Eve game.

• Bripro says:

For me, the New Year’s Eve game is the best I’ve ever seen, and that includes the summit series and several Stanley Cup games.
      Tretiak was unbelievable in that game (mark 2:50 min) or the Canadiens would have easily won it.

• HabFab says:

Tretiak was unbelievable as was the Hab domination of the rest of that game. They say a tie is like kissing your sister and I have always felt a strong disappointment in the result…”sigh”

• Bripro says:

It was a friendly series, and although they tied, I’m convinced that the Soviet players felt they played a superior team.
          It was such a fun game…..nothing dirty. Hockey in its purest form.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I think of it as the most one-sided tie in history. If not for Tretiak, the Canadiens would have blown them out. Or if Dryden could have stopped a beach ball that night.

• Rob D says:

I liked the Philly mauling of the Soviets better. Habs game was well played but if they’d laid the body on them like Philly did…no contest. It’s a very good game for its time but a tad overrated, IMO.

Rewatch the Philly game some time (youtube) There are a few borderline hits but most of them are clean and hard. Nothing out of the usual for an NHL game and I kinda remembered it differently as a bunch of head shots etc.

(I think ANY of the 87 Canada Cup games 3 game final are superior to almost any other game I’ve ever seen though. GRetzky and Co. took the game to another level rarely reached since. The Russians too..just awe inspiring hockey.)

26. JayK-47 says:

I did until I tried the BF3 demo. You?

27. savethepuck says:

Always thought COD was a fish mainly off of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland

“They don’t hang Conference Ch(Oampionship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price