30 Teams Worth of Questions

From NY Times Slap Shot blog:

All around the world, the puck drops on the 93rd N.H.L. regular
season today, a premiere that stretches across nine time zones.

It was 7 p.m. in Helsinki but noon hereabouts when the Hurricanes and
Wild faced off at the Hartwall
Areena
, home of the famous Finnish club Jokerit.

About seven hours afterward, the puck will drop on the North American
portion of the schedule, the Canadiens skating in Toronto and
Pittsburgh hosting the Flyers. Two more games follow from further west
later on, the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks in Colorado and the Flames
confronting their provincial rivals in Edmonton.

While the N.H.L. start has never been more global — six games in
three European cites over the next four days — this season won’t have
the international component, nor the interruption, that the Vancouver
Olympics provided last year. With so
many claims that last season’s entertaining hockey may have been the
best ever
, the league will be challenged to approach, if not
duplicate, the entertainment and drama that the game produced in
2009-10.

“There will be challenges, but rather than symptoms of a league’s
struggles, they seem to be signs of growing strength,” writes Jeff
Z. Klein in a preview story from today’s Times
, one of a few Times
articles published this week on the new season.

Klein also wrote a sidebar on some
teams to watch
(Coyotes, Sabres, Flyers and Canucks) beyond the
usual suspects (Blackhawks, Capitals, Red Wings, Penguins).

Earlier this week, he looked at the
impact of the rule changes on goaltenders equipment
this season, as
the league tries to combat the Michelin Man Effect that overstuffed
netminders have had on stifling goal scoring over the past 15 seasons.

And we collaborated on a piece in Wednesday’s Times on the retro movement in N.H.L. sweater and
logo design
, a story that was accompanied on The Times Web site by a
illustrative
slide show
, showing pictures of the jerseys and crests in the
article.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: 30 Teams Worth of Questions”>>

1. Thomas Le Fan says:

30 teams with questions that can only be answered by playing 82 games each. On y va!

2. Lazarus_taxa says:

I love the retro jersey designs.  I think there is a general retro trend happening and that’s why we see this movement.  Just ask the guy sitting next to me in class with a mustache only my Dad can rival.   I hope it lasts in hockey, but the general population….not so much.

3. oshawahabsfan says:

Haha I think there’s about .5% of the population that can truly pull off a ‘stache. I find myself laughing at people in Toronto everyday and saying to myself, what the hell were they thinking

4. oshawahabsfan says:

Those Buffalo third jerseys are actually worse than the slug in my opinion. They’re right up there with the ridiculous thrid jerseys of Tampa and Ottawa

5. Danno says:

Those Minny Wild jerseys are a dog’s breakfast of colour and design gone horribly wrong.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. Say Ash says:

Notice Gomez doing a belly flop in the Islanders pic?

7. oshawahabsfan says:

Stu I think you need to inform this Pilson fella that if Montreal were in the Stanley Cup Finals that every TV audience record would be destroyed. He really is naive if he thinks Philly or Chicago would draw a bigger audience

8. Fairfax says:

That would be true in Canada. Not in the US, though… I’m sure he’s referring strictly to American ratings.

9. WarHero says:

Great Season Preview by Eric Engels:

————————————————————————
    Never judge another man’s decision poor until you actually have proof of it failing!!

10. HFX-HabFan says:

I’m not a fan of third jerseys to begin with, but I just don’t understand the teams with little to any heritage who go with the “retro” look.

Florida and Minnesota have very little to be proud of, yet they have these “retro” jerseys…from a different era?  I think it looks stupid and insults the heritage of Original Six teams or other older teams.

11. oshawahabsfan says:

There is a large amount of Montreal fans south of the border, certainly would give those teams a run for their money

12. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, loved that “Angry Animals” trend a while back.

The Angry Buffalo. The Angry Bear. The Angry Horse. The Angry Penguin. The Angry Killer Frikkin’ Whale.

What a stupid, stupid idea.

…angry penguin…