1992-93 Habs season flashback: Halloween win over Rangers

Leclairweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 6-3-2  record into a game against the New York Rangers on Oct. 31, Halloween night, in 1992 at the Forum. Here is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Keane gives Canadiens big assist(s)

RED FISHER
The Gazette

CANADIENS 4
RANGERS 3

Mike Keane, who has merely been splendid thus far this season, insists he can play better.

Stephan Lebeau, who has been Keane’s playmate for the last six games – all part of a 6-0-1 roll by the Canadiens – adds this:

“I think we can play better,” he was saying after last night’s 4-3 victory over the New York Rangers.

Keane could be right, when it’s considered that he played in only three training camp games and has missed some practice time with a four-day suspension. Lebeau is partly right – at least where last night’s game is concerned.

Translation: the Canadiens, as a team, can’t play better than they did in the first period against the powerful Rangers. They outshot them 19-9, got goals from Lebeau and Kevin Haller, and Keane assisted on both. They also can’t play better than they did in the early minutes of the second period, when they padded their lead on goals from Brian Bellows and Mario Roberge.

“I think I can shoot a little more,” said Keane. “I think I can help the line more – Lebeau and Big John (LeClair) when he gets his marbles together again.”

LeClair left the game with what management later described as a slight concussion after going the Razor Ruddock route following a squeaky clean, shattering bodycheck from large-sized Jeff Beaukeboom.

“Slight concussion?” asked Keane much later. “Let’s just say that’s gotta be a misprint. He doesn’t remember the last month!”

The reason Keane was talking this way was because of the way LeClair talked. For one thing, he asked Brian Skrudland a number of times why he wasn’t playing, which is a strange question to ask someone who hasn’t played since the 30-second mark of the season.

“Anyway, when John comes back, we should have a good line going,” agreed Lebeau. “We should also have the whole team going well, because everything about this team has been so much better this year. The atmosphere is good. I’m having fun. All of us are having fun.”

So did most of the audience, even though the Rangers rallied for two goals from Mike Gartner in the second period, and Darren Turcotte raised a few hairs on the napes of a few necks after beating Patrick Roy with fewer than three minutes remaining.

For now, at least, everything about this skirmish at the summit has to do with the Canadiens coming together as a team. It is one thing to hold off the Tampa Bay Lightning, as the Canadiens did on Wednesday, or handle Philadelphia, 7-6. This, though, was no mere stroll in the park – and against a quality team which last season finished No. 1 over-all. What it was, for the first 25 minutes, at least, was outright domination. The Rangers had no part of this.

Not, at least, from the time Lebeau worked overtime to beat John Vanbiesbrouck a little more than two minutes into the game, and onward to Haller’s goal, on which Lebeau contributed a considerable amount of industry.

It was no less one-sided in the early minutes of the second period (how’s a 26-9 margin in shots five minutes into the period?). It was during the early minutes of the period that Bellows and Roberge (yeah, Mario) lifted the Canadiens into a 4-0 lead before Gartner scored the first of his two goals.

If there was an unsettling note in the game, it was that the Rangers were allowed to get back into it with the Gartner goals. For more than 25 minutes, the Rangers still hadn’t left the team bus. Then, for some reason, the air went out of the balloon.

Was it a matter of the Canadiens falling into a defensive shell, as they have in other recent games? Did the Rangers finally report?

“I didn’t think we went into a defensive shell,” said Mathieu Schneider, who now appears capable of turning on offence and defence almost at will. “Maybe we got a little too fancy now and then, got a few penalties we didn’t need, but I thought we had our scoring chances.”

In the final analysis, it was probably a combination of both. Give the Rangers some room, and they’ll bury you. Blink an eye at Gartner, who’s now No. 9 on the all-time goal-scoring list, and it’s curtains.

Happily for the Canadiens, their condition wasn’t terminal, although the collars may have tightened somewhat when Turcotte beat Roy.

Piece of cake, eh?

(Photo by Denis Brodeur/NHLI via Getty Images)

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m a Blackberry loyalist, not an Apple syncophant …but admired Steve Job’s undeniable influence in modern industrial design

…Steve had been working on the design of a super yacht for his family before his death …it was recently, finally, launched in Holland

…anyOne here interested in naval architecture and unique memorable design may be interested in this http://www.onemorething.nl/2012/10/jacht-steve-jobs-te-water-gelaten-in-aalsmeer/

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

2. AceMagnum says:

“Playmate”?

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

3. Bripro says:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Hockey Frustration Song no. 18

Cue the music!

‘Nother non-hoooockey night and someone evil’s lurking in the dark
    Skating by moonlight, you see a sight that almost stops your heart
    You try to scream but Bettman sucks the air before you breathe it
    No ice to freeze as horror of no hockey’s no longer a surprise
    Game’s paralyzed

‘Cause it’s a killer, gameless night
    And no one’s gonna save you from the Fehr about strike
    You know that killer, game-breaker guy
    You’re fighting for our game against that killer Fehr, tonight

Bell center’s doors slam and realize there’s nowhere left to play
    You feel the cold stance and wonder all the Habs are gone away
    You close your eyes and hope that this is just imagination, men!
    But all the while you fear Bettman leaving all of us behind
    We’re out of time

‘Cause it’s a killer, gameless night
    And not a player saved yet from the Fehr about strike
    You know that killer, game-breaker guy
    We’re fighting for our game against that killer Fehr, tonight

The league is calling; the players don’t want to go along with this charade
    There’s no escaping the jaws of the alien this time
    (His jaws open wide)
    This is the end of their dime

They’re out to burn you, hockey’s demons closing in on every side
    They will possess you unless you change those season’s tickets for a while
    Now is the time for fans and I to huddle close together, yeah
    All through the night I’ll save you from the terror behind the scenes
    I’ll make you see

That it’s a killer, gameless night
    And not a player saved yet from the Fehr about strike
    You know that killer, game-breaker guy
    So let me help enlight’ and show the
    Bettman, devil, no-Fehr, gameless tonight

‘Cause it’s a killer, gameless night
    And no one’s gonna save you from the Fehr about strike
    Time to, open our eyes
    So let’s talk of this new league and rid the killers, Bettfehr, yikes!

(I’m gonna thrill ya tonight)
    No hockey played across the land
    The CBA hour is close at hand
    Bettman’s out in search of blood
    With no inkling of how hockey’s good

I’m gonna thrill ya tonight, ooh baby
    Players suitin’ tonight, oh darlin’
    Hockey night, baby, ooh!

The foulest stench is in the air
    The NHL is here for our demise
    ‘Cause our new league would spell their doom
    Want to make sure we have no room

And though we fight to stay alive
    The enemy starts to shiver
    For no mere mortal can compare
    The evil of the Bettfehr!

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

You are currently writing songs at a clip Lennon and McCartney could never achieve in their prime! Whatcha smokin’ these days to get all this lyrical genius?

• Bripro says:

No more than usual, buddy! ;)
        I just missed my calling.

*********************************************

4. HabFab says:

Habsworld takes a look at the European prospects;

SUMMIT NEWS!.
    I have had a couple of calls pertaining to refunds from a couple of members that had missed this notice!

Summit News! LOCK OUT,
    I have instructed the Bell Center to not refund my visa account, but to hold on to our money and replace all the tickets purchased with the same seats at a date of our choosing.
    They are going to do that for us.

It would be a nightmare for me to get everyone’s mailing address, pay for money orders U.S. and Canadian, stamp envelopes etc. for a hundred and fifty people.
    I am just not going to do that.

Anyone who could not make the new date next year, we will help you sell your new tickets to other HIO members that would like to go on the new Summit dates.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

Sure hope this works for everyone.
    Ian

Thanks Frank, excellent read. Can’t help but cheer for this kid, his slow development may be just what benefits the Habs. Chances are Calgary didn’t think a great deal about him at the time of the trade, or at least that is possible.

If he does turn out, do we have to say thanks PG?

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…watching Hardy’s hit on Mike Keane, reminds so much why I love hockey …and miss it so

…like someone below mentioned, watching Keane jump up to get back into the play without looking for immediate pay back with His fists reminds Me of the heady, intangible contribution He provided Our Habs

…the Roy trade included Keane …basically ‘the heart’ of Our Team

…Corey, Houle and Tremblay …the 3 Stooges of a sad era

…what a low-point to be a Habs’ Fan

7. LesHabs says:

If it would take the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup this year to bring hockey back, I say let them win so I can watch my Habs!

8. commandant says:

I’ll admit it, I was always a big fan of Stefan Lebeau. Loved his speed.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

9. L Elle says:

Welcome to my nightmare
    I think you’re not gonna like it
    I think you’re gonna feel you belong

A season ending vacation
    An unnecessary sedation
    You wanna feel at home ’cause you belong

Welcome to my nightmare

Welcome to my CBA breakdowns
    I hope I didn’t scare you
    That’s just how they are when greedy clowns

We sweat and pay and scream here
    ‘Cause life is just a hockey dream here
    You know inside you feel right at home here

Welcome to my breakdown, ohh
    You’re welcome to my nightmare, yeah

Welcome to my CBA nightmare
    I think you’re not gonna like it
    I think you’re gonna feel you belong

We sweat and pay and scream here
    ‘Cause life is just a hockey dream here
    You know inside you feel right at home here

Welcome to my nightmare, ooh
    Welcome to my breakdown
    Yeah!

• Bripro says:

Good job L!
      Alice Cooper, one of my favourites!
      Everyone here has a halloween tribute today.
      Way to stay in the spirit!

*********************************************

• Cal says:

Superb, L Elle! Is the next one “Alice and the NHL Season go to Hell?”

• L Elle says:

Or,

Well we got no choice
        All the girls and boys
        Makin all that noise
        Cause they ain’t got no toys
        Well we can’t salute ya
        Can’t find a Habs’ flag
        If that don’t suit ya
        That’s a drag

Hockey’s out for winter
        Hockey’s out forever
        Season’s been blown to pieces

No more live blogs
        No more pucks
        No more coaches dirty looks

Well they got no class
        And they got no principles
        And they got no innocence
        They can’t even think of a word that rhymes

Hockey’s out for winter
        Hockey’s out forever
        Season’s been blown to pieces

No more live blogs
        No more pucks
        No more coaches dirty looks

Out for winter
        Out till fall
        We might not go back at all

Hockey’s out forever
        Hockey’s out for winter
        Hockey’s out with greed
        Hockey’s our need

Nice job Rocker Queen!

10. Bripro says:

OK I’m nitpicking.
    1) the picture at the top is John Leclair, correct? Because they’re profiling Mike Keane….
    2) In the tribute to Keane, although he spent almost half his career here, there is little in terms of visual tribute to his time with the Habs. There’s a Bob Cole snippit of his winning the cup here, but not much more.
    He played….what…4 years in Dallas? You’d swear he’d spent his career there.
    That video must have been a Bettman-approved video, because there’s little reference to a Canadian team (no offence to my American friends – unless you’re Gary Butthead).

*********************************************

11. Chris says:

Watch that Mark Hardy hit on Mike Keane. Hardy absolutely obliterates Keane and….nothing happens. No melee. No Keane getting up immediately looking to fight. No teammates rushing to “defend” their teammate.

Just recognition that it was a hockey play, and you need to keep your head up out there.

One of the scourges of the past 15-20 years in the NHL is that nobody can take a clean, hard bodycheck anymore without a fight starting. It is absolutely disgusting.

• Luke says:

Hardy also doesn’t leave his feet or target Keane’s head.

Good clean hit all around.

• commandant says:

100% agreed Chris.

It drives me insane to see fights after every big hit.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Chris I heard some interviews with some players from the OHL this year, and it is those specific fights that are starting to be eliminated from the game with the new fighting rules/measures.

Good to see, a clean hit is a good hit. Players take a number and hope to deliver one back is all that should happen.

• Chris says:

They’ve got a LONG way to go. Junior hockey is just full of absolutely pointless fighting as players do anything they can to get their “passion” and “grit” noticed by scouts.

A junior hockey game can often turn into a complete gong show, as I found out on Sunday watching an inept crew of officials lose control of the Guelph Storm – Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds game. Andrey Pedan from the storm will almost certainly be suspended (I’m guessing 5 games) for kicking another player, while Soo forward Mark Petaccio is getting at least 3 games for abuse of an official following a fight. Overall, the game had 9 major penalties called: 3 fights, plus two slashing majors and the already mentioned kick. And all of it was of the completely unnecessary variety…just juvenile schoolyard stuff that was laughably stupid.

12. Chris says:

Personally, I miss all the birthday threads… ;)

So Tomas Plekanec is 30 today, and my personal favourite all-time player, Mats Naslund, turns 53 today.

And if we’re going way back in time, one of Montreal’s original scoring heroes, the great Newsy Lalonde, was born 124 years ago (in 1888). From 1910 onwards, Lalonde had the record for most professional goals for nearly four decades until his career total (in all leagues, as his career spanned the beginning of the NHL) was beat by Maurice Richard in 1954.

Considering we have zero new hockey news, it is amazing that the thread count here on HI/O is going to be higher than that of the finest Egyptian Cotton Sheets!

14. punkster says:

Incredibly worthy cause…

As some of you know, former HI/O regular JD partners every year with the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation during the month of October to raise funds for underprivileged youth.

Since its inception in August 2000, the Foundation has donated upwards of $13.5 million to 450 charitable endeavours from across the province of Quebec. This winter, the Foundation expects to unveil its fifth hockey rink in Montreal, a facility where underprivileged children will be able to borrow equipment and skate out onto the ice to enjoy this amazing sport.

The fundraising effort is built around JD’s Halloween home haunt located in Kirkland, QC. Although cash donations are accepted on Oct. 31st, a $5 donation can also be made at any time by texting “Habs” to 45678.

This is a slideshow of this year’s display.

***Subbang Baby!!!***