1992-93 Habs season flashback: Game 3 tie with Penguins

brunetweb

With no end to the NHL lockout in sight, we’ll let Canadiens fans relive the 1992-93 season when the Habs won the last of their 24 Stanley Cups by posting game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 1-1  record into their home opener on Oct. 10, 1992 against Mario Lemieux and the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Forum.

Here is Red Fisher’s story from that game

Habs fight back to tie Pens; Brunet scores two as Canadiens get act together

RED FISHER
The Gazette

CANADIENS 3
PENGUINS 3

The way Patrick Roy was telling it, there he was sitting by himself between the second and third periods – and asking himself questions.

Such as: what can I do to play a little better?

The reason hockey’s best goaltender was talking to himself is that at the time, the Canadiens were trailing the Pittsburgh Penguins, 3- 1, which is not a very good thing to do.

“My role,” Roy was saying after the Canadiens had rallied for goals from Brian Bellows and Benoit Brunet in the third for a 3-3 tie the hard way, “is to make the key saves. I thought we should have come out of the second period with something better, but (Tom) Barrasso had made a lot of big stops.

“It was important for us to come back,” said Roy. “I felt I had to do my part.”

“What it comes down to,” added Kirk Muller, who delivered 100 cents on the dollar looking after Mario Lemieux, “is that we’re happy with the point. They got three power-play goals, we got a big one (from Bellows) to put us back in the game.”

It was a big one, all right, considering it was the Canadiens’ first of the season – on their 21st crack at it. So, too, was Brunet’s goal with fewer than six minutes remaining. He also scored the Canadiens’ first goal after Kevin Stevens and Larry Murphy had provided the Penguins with a 2-0 lead in the second period. Lemieux re-established the two-goal margin seconds after the Brunet goal.

The Canadiens team which burst out of the starting gate and rallied last night in no way resembled the shabby gang which fell to the Ottawa Senators 5-3 on Thursday.

Forget, for a moment, that neither team was able to put anything on the board in the first period. The reality is that the Canadiens had come to play on this night, outshooting the Stanley Cup champions 10-4 in the first period, and 37-31 on the game.

They also killed off a four-minute penalty to Denis Savard in the last two minutes of regulation and the first two of the overtime.

The rap against him was an attempted spear on Ulf Samuelsson, which obviously didn’t land, since referee Kerry Fraser ruled it nothing more than an “attempt.” So why did a double-parlez-vous swoon by Samuelsson go unpunished, since there’s now a minor penalty in the books for diving?

Canadiens general manager Serge Savard, a polite soul, put it this way:

“I didn’t think it was a good call.”

Nice call, Serge.

Pittsburgh goaltender Barrasso was, as Roy noted, the difference in this game. He was exceptional at times, but so were several Canadiens in their valiant attempts to beat him. Muller was a bulldog in his pursuit of Lemieux.

“All I can say,” sighed Muller, “is that I wouldn’t like to play back-to-back games against him.”

Another plus for the Penguins, along with Barrasso, was their power play. Put it this way: the Penguins may not have the best power play in the National Hockey League (Buffalo was No. 1 last season), but they’re surely the scariest.

Roll these names on your tongue: Lemieux, Stevens, Rick Tocchet, Murphy and Ron Francis … and Jaromir Jagr hasn’t even been mentioned yet. Anyway, it was Stevens who lashed a shot beyond Roy early in the second period for the game’s first goal. And while Stevens was putting one on the board, wasn’t that Barrasso taking one away from Stephan Lebeau only a moment later – after saving brilliantly on Brunet directly off the faceoff?

The Penguins have reached that point in their development toward mini-dynasty status where they’re supremely confident, patient – and deadly on offence. They don’t hurry with their scoring opportunities and surely don’t panic whenever the opposition is in control.

So there’s Murphy beating Roy with yet another power-play goal late in the second. And while Brunet got that one back seconds later banking a short shot off Barrasso’s skate, Lemieux re- established Pittsburgh’s two-goal margin with (sigh) a Lemieux-type goal.

Should anybody be surprised by any of this? Of course not, when it’s considered that the Penguins haven’t lost a step or anybody of note since locking up their second consecutive Stanley Cup. If anything, they’ve improved.

The Penguins are big, strong and indifferent to the game’s highs and lows. They control the flow. In other words, they have the talent to turn up the volume.

NOTES – Canadiens fans have class: they gave Lemieux a standing ovation when he was introduced in the pre-game ceremony… . Henri Richard, who was on a record 11 Stanley Cup teams, was part of the official face-off party. Richard will be introduced as honorary captain of the Wales Conference all-star team at a Tuesday press conference. He’ll be joined there by Frank Mahovlich, who’s honorary captain of the Campbell team for the All-Star Game, which is being held in Montreal this year.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…speaking of living journalistic legends, for You ‘fans’ of Jack Todd, this one I actually enjoyed from the said pompous, sanctimonious a-hole:
    …”Lies, rumours &&&& vicious innuendo: Your Monday Morning Quarterback got sucked into watching Felix Baumgartner’s remarkable parachute jump from space on Sunday. I’m not sure what the point of the jump was, or even why I watched it — but when he stood up on that platform and jumped, all I could say was “holy $&*#!!! …” ”

2. Chuck says:

Just read the game story above. What’s a ‘tie’?

___________________________________________________

So meetings resume in Toronto tomorrow. What happens if both sides show up only with U.S. dollars in their pockets, they won’t be able to order coffee or doughnuts from the vending machine, it accepts loonies and toonies only. I don’t see tomorrow’s meeting going well, this could be a logistical nightmare tomorrow. :)

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Stubbs and Hickey are paid, essentially, to be beat reporters for hockey and the Montreal Canadiens …am I close to being right ?
    …Cowan, I’m not quite sure what He’s being paid for at times
    …remember the dayz when the Fergusons, the o’ Brian’s, the Fishers and all the great Gazette and Star sports writers would have investigative copy ready for Our breakfasts each and every morning ?
    …I know this is the age of the Internet and there is a much different playing field out there for any professional journalists, let alone sports hacks, but there is such a vacuum today in the quality of sports journalism in Montreal today, which is quite sad and frustrating for Us older coots that experienced excellence in Our younger dayz
    …the only current writer I can half-way bear to read is Dave Stubbs, and even He leaves Me yearning for the good ol’ dayz
    …it’s a sad state, for Me, when I go to learn an insight or opinion on hockey or My Montreal Canadiens I find much better reads from Vancouver, Ontario and Alberta-based journalists
    …Mike Boone was the last Montreal sports journalist I anticipated a provocative and insightful morning read on the Canadiens …not necessarily because Boone is/was a great investigative journalist, but because He ‘connected’ with Me as ‘another ordinary Fan’ with a gift to write a 100 times more eloquently (and more humorously) than I or most other Fans
    …if Boone still has the writing fire in His belly, I truly hope Boone will be brought back to manage and be lead writer for HIO full-time or on a contract basis

• The Dude says:

Christopher, the best thing bout Boone was he was a reporter and a fan of” Les Glorieux ” WHOM WASN’T AFRAID TO NAIL BAD HABS TEAMS OR UNDER-PERFORMING PLAYERS and I feel it led to his demise……..

• Bripro says:

If that were the case, they would have canned Jack Todd a long time ago.

*********************************************
        “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Cal says:

It’s called budget-cutting forced retirement. No demise; just a glorious ride into the sunset.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m sure The Gazette can afford to ‘contract’ Boone to manage this site, HIO
          …and, I would be surprised if Boone would not enjoy doing so

…contracting Boone, without the overhead, would be a win/win for the Gazette and Boone ……and Us suffering HIO members

_________________________________________________________
          Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Cal says:

All true, but I think the Gazoo is on its last legs. Digital subscription with ads on all their web pages do not equal anything like the money they used to make selling advertising. The paper has lost about 70% of its revenues.
            The young do not feel they have to pay for information. Therefore, the quality of reporting has dropped like a stone while many in media play the “let’s be first” game. More and more information-based companies will find it hard to continue operating with such poor numbers.

• Mustang says:

Cal I agree with you. I continue to subscribe to the Gazette but on some days I wonder why. They dropped the Sunday edition and there is very little to read on a couple of other days. Since there is no hockey (thank you to Bettman) the only thing I can really count on every day is the Sudoku and a few articles that I may, or may not, have already seen on TV. I wonder how much longer the morning paper will be around.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…this is happening because of lack of creative leadership as well as the understandable realities of the market and demographics
          …I will stick to the subject of HIO as a potential asset, …maybe one of it’s best potential assets
          …HIO is ‘a gathering place’ of thousands of Montreal Canadiens Fans strewn over the continent and even internationally …if creatively designed, serviced and managed, it could be at least a fiscally sustainable asset for The Gazette
          …there is so much more that can be experimented on, commercially, in HIO
          …for instance, I convinced Boone to give Robert Rice space to write on Our prospects a couple years ago …I feel, though,HIO could have given Him better support to maximise Habs Prospects, by giving Robert a separate daily platform, rather than His weekly feature
          …there is this fellow flogging daily His Teliopost.com site, and Ben’s (Commandant’s) excellent site on prospects …why can’t The Gazette’s HIO instead incorporate like-minded features within to become a hockey and Montreal Canadiens’ aggregation site, and sustain itself on the resulting eyeballs and advertising that will result ?
          …it takes initiative and creative internet talent which apparently The Gazette lacks in the extreme at this time
          …but, it is My opinion, HIO has more potential to be a profit centre for The Gazette than is being presently realized

_________________________________________________________
          Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Cal says:

What’s killing newspapers (and soon the digital ones) is that many do not want to pay. Collecting 1/50th of a cent per pair of eyes on the site works only if millions hit the site. My AdBlock rids me of the ads I don’t want to see, but it may also cause the demise of the site.
            Creative leadership isn’t so easy either. With no budget, everyone is asked to contribute more without being paid for it. Folks here have to make a choice. Either we support the site and pay for a subscription or watch it die. The choice is ultimately ours.

• Bripro says:

in 2010, Postmedia Network Inc. became The Gazette’s owner via its purchase of Canwest newspapers. When it was a division of the Hollinger Group and even Southam (before that), I liked their structuring. Since the last purchase, everything is changed. They belong to a huge newspaper empire that centralizes as much news as possible, in order to cut in those departments regionally.
            I don’t like their format, I don’t like the substantial quantity of Leafs hockey reviews (when there’s hockey).
            It’s a Montreal paper that reads more like the National Post.
            But, it’s the only local english daily….. so I keep reading it!

*********************************************

• Ron says:

Both Teliopost and Ben ( Commandant ) flogg their blog here on a daily basis. There is a spot on the right hand side of HIO that contains a Blog Roll. HIO might make better use of this item and open it up to more bloggers and benifit from more traffic coming here if the number of enteries multiplied. I’m not to sure whether the Gazette has intentions of keeping this site open. The lack of coverage lately may be the begining of its end.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ron, I’m being outspoken only in the hope to prod someone at The Gazette to wake-up and take the bull by the horns to save this site …because I too believe the way things are going it will soon be a past memory
            …I don’t want that to happen
            …I think the only hope for HIO is the return of Boone, because these other Guyz are just running it into the ground

_________________________________________________________
            Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Ron says:

HIS, I don’t think it is a matter of the other remaining guys running it purposely into the ground. Since the many staff cut backs within the Gazette have taken place, the few writers ( good or bad ) left to perform the many duties have created a vacumn where something has to be let slip. Since this is a side bar to the actual paper it unfortunatley is taking the hit. Until this crap lockout gets settled I can not see much happening to enhance the graphics etc of HIO. It appears that stop gap measures have been in play with the simulation of games which in my opinion might appeal to the kids on here but as a retired senior I find it wasted effort. Stubbs has put forth quite a bit of player reaction to the lockout as well as their progress with their European lockout teams of which I personally like. If hockey were up and running right now none of us would be having these type of conversations. Instead I believe HIO staff would be all over the games. Mike would be live blogging as well. We’d all be arguing what was good and what was bad, you know the old HIO from last year. I believe that this is the way it is till the start up of the league. Hope its not much longer.

• habsfan0 says:

Why doesn’t Boone live blog an NFL game or two?

5. shiram says:

Well with this lockout at least it keeps the trolls away…

• Habfan10912 says:

Not quite Shiram. Two are still around.

———————————–

• The Dude says:

After being a fan of the Habs for 50 years and faithfully watching every game for years now I’d rather be a realist whom wants the Stanley Cup back in Montreal where it belongs and a big tough team with players who are worth they’re paycheck and called a Troll, then to be a brain-dead Gomez loving, lover of a last place franchise who has “NOTHING”to offer but insults the true fans on this site or any other…. you fenwick /corsi loving picked the wrong goaltender S.O.B.!

• shiram says:

You’re no troll The Dude, just not very Dude-like either.

Dude, I may not often agree with you, but you will never be called a troll, at least not by me. You are as passionate a fan as any on this site, perhaps moreso.

We may not see things the same way, but it is obvious you just want to see the Habs be the best in the NHL.

As for the goalie comment, well that is prime example of where we disagree, and we are all free to do so here.

CHeers Dude!

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…did I hear (read) right ??? …Sir Gerald Of Burlington say ‘nice’ about My Packers ???

…pinch Me !!!

• Bripro says:

Yup. Saw that quick reference too, Chris.
      You’ll notice he tried to slip that one in there unnoticed…. hmmm.
      I’m still waiting for a compliment regarding my Pats, but …..
      It’s like waiting for the NHL season to start. ;)

*********************************************

Your Packers indeed played well and showed why they are still a contender in the NFL. I fear my black and gold have become pretenders.

Argh. I hate Bell. (I hate all telcos).

Took them almost a month to drop sports package. Sheesh.

• Bripro says:

I still hate them, but at one point, I stirred up so much poop that I’ve been connected to “an executive” since then.
      If you need his email address, just let me know. ;)

*********************************************

• Bripro says:

“Compromise”?
      With two egos, the size of Manhattan?
      Yeah…. OK… (insert second sarcasm icon here!)

*********************************************

8. HFX-HabFan says:

I like how for the story about the ’92-’93 season, the picture of Brunet is from ’97-’98 (at the earliest).

9. 100HABS says:

You want to end the lockout – SUPPORT THE KHL!!

If the K gains popularity and pulls people away from the NHL, they’ll make more money, offer better contracts and steal players from NHL. It’s a potentially vicious circle the NHL has to prevent.

This threat did not exist in Bettman’s previous lockouts. They should show full KHL games on RDS/TSN – that’ll get them negotiating.

• JF says:

The time-zone difference would prevent KHL games being a big draw. And North American fans don’t have any allegiance to those teams.

• 100HABS says:

1 – NHL has many fans in Europe and sell a lot of merchandise there.

2 – I agree for Canada/US that the time zones are a barrier. That said, they’re playing all kinds of old games now. Replace that with last night’s KHL games (featuring such players as Emelin, Malkin, Markov, Ovechkin…) you’ll get a favourite and allegiances will be formed…

• Malreg says:

And the fact that the KHL, for the most part, is boring as hell!

Detroit 2 yanks 0
    Wonderful!

• Hobie Hansen says:

An All-Star comes to the plate for the Yanks at almost every at bat and they barley score any runs this post season. I love it!

How anyone can be a fan of the Yankees, who buy their way to the playoffs every year, is beyond me?

Their heart and soul is no longer playing (Jeter), i have no empathy for that team and am currently enjoying watching A-rod have that ridiculous look on his face as he continues to strike out and appear to not care that he is paid to produce. Funny how without Steroids A-Rod seems to struggle….

• Lizardking89 says:

After the Expos left town my interest in baseball went with it. A-Rod is a supreme choke artist batting just .103 in the playoffs.

• Bripro says:

Sounds pretty accurate.
      But why do they insist on adding his mug in every article?
      Kinda ruins my lunch…..

*********************************************

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning you two! Sounds like something JB would write.
      I heard yesterday that a few logistics needed to be worked out and the lockout will be over. Phew! (Insert sarcasm icon)

———————————–

• FormalWare says:

I thought Norman (“Hanging”) Chad was just a poker analyst! The Washington Post, no less!

Thanks, Burly!

11. punkster says:

In other news…pleased that my Giants whupped the 49ers… not expecting this to be their best season but they show a bit of the old spark occasionally…which is more than I can say for certain sports media outlets these days…video games and recycled articles…really?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bripro says:

I have to admit….the Giants have been trying to lure me in for a few years now. Theirs was the most entertaining game of the night.
      For a little guy, Bradshaw plows with the best of them.
      And Cruz was showing some sweet hands as well.
      It was better than watching my Pats crash and burn, with the game in their pocket. Brutal.
      The entire AFC east is now at 3-3, and none are too dominant.

*********************************************

Hmmmm a couple of Patriots losses and their “most loyal” supporters are already jumping off the bandwagon. Fitting indeed.

My steelers may suck, but i stay a fan Bri! ;-)

• Bripro says:

Naw naw naw…. don’t go putting words in my mouth now, Gerry.
          I love my Pats. But giving up a mid-field TD with barely a minute left….
          Two uncharacteristic interceptions. Then, the hail-mary to Rice… yuk!
          No wonder Carroll was jumping all over the place!

*********************************************

• Habfan10912 says:

This is life in the NFL. One week teams look great (Giants, Packers). The next they stink up the joint. I think the key is being healthy and playing well at the end of the season. Would not give up on the Pats quite yet but they don’t seem to be able to stop the pass.

———————————–

I hear ya bud, just having some fun. Uncharacteristic indeed of a Bellichek coached team. (of course not having video anymore doesn’t help ;-) )

• Bripro says:

To see TB go for another 300+ game, and yet the D couldn’t muster much.
            And inside their 50 eight times, yet, not a point…. oye!
            Have to say, the Packers played very solid as well.

*********************************************

Nice pre-steroids photo of Brunet.

In this article is a pretty funny story involving goalie Jeff Glass and Alex Frolov and a bet they made during a KHL game.

14. otisfxu says:

Appreciate the try guys, but reading 20 year old game reviews doesn’t cut it,,,,,,,,,,nor does the fantasy/simulated games,,,,,,,save the energy and talk about something that is at least happening now – be it hockey or other sports.

15. centre hice says:

The season has just started and Dalton Thrower has already been suspended a couple of games by his coach and now a league suspension. This kid seems to be a wild one. I think the Habs could use that.

Galchenyuk, Vail, Bozon, Hudon are among the leading scorers in their leagues.

Man, how does Timmins do it?

• geo_habsgo says:

Timmins seems to have really stepped up his game. This last draft has been ridiculously successful for him thus far. He has been selecting quality players for years but this seems like the first year that he has hit home-runs throughout the draft. I think that we underestimated the depth of this draft year.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Getting Pacioretty, Subban, Weber and MacDonagh in 2007 will be hard to beat.

• geo_habsgo says:

That is pretty impressive. I’m not sold on Weber but then again, he can play a role on an NHL team for sure. Timmins just has a great eye for talent and he seems to look for the special ingredient which is strength of character. He tries to pick players who he thinks are also fundamentally good people with strong work ethics. I think that is what really sets him apart from the other professional scouts.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Weber *can* play in the NHL – and not many prospects make it that far so even getting to the NHL is an accomplishment.

There was an article last year (or was it this year) saying how the Canadiens have drafted the most prospects that made it to the NHL in the past little while (e.g. Latendresse, SK, Grabovski, D’Agostini). Now, finally under Bergevin, they might have the developmental team to help with retention instead of the sink-or-swim approach from before.

Thrower is young, seems to be talented and has an edge. If at the end of this season the same issues are continuing to occur, I may worry a bit. At this stage of his career, I am okay with him going through some learning curves.

The other beauty is we have people now hired in our organization to go watch kids like Thrower and have conversations/mentoring sessions what have you, with them.

Under the previous regime I would have some concerns, but I think we may finally have a organization which can work through such growing pains.

As I recall Chelios had quite an edge, I am not trying to compare Thrower to him, but having a rugged dman with an edge can be very beneficial.

• rnnoble says:

I agree that I love the new mentoring system. I’m concerned about how the lockout affects it, though. Thrower isn’t under contract yet, so it’s okay with him, but does anyone know if Brisebois, Lapointe and Mellanby are allowed talking to guys like Galchenyuk, who are under contract?

• Bripro says:

“And all the answers to our prayers
      Ain’t the Fehrs, baby ”
      You nailed it again, my friend!

*********************************************

16. geo_habsgo says:

Gazette needs to start thinking of new angles for articles. Let’s cover the prospects at least. Send a writer to Sarnia for a couple of weeks and another to Hamilton. We are getting better reporting from the fan blogs (Which are excellent) than from the Gazette that has press privileges.

17. otter649 says:

Benoit Brunet wearing #17 so he must have been injured at one point in that season……lol

18. commandant says:

Saskatoon has started to turn it around. Darren Dietz with 1 goal and 3 assists tonight for the Blades in a win over Medicine Hat.

Dalton Thrower was suspended tonight for his check to the head last game. Its unknown how long the suspension will be.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

19. showey47 says:

I was at game 4 of the 92/93 season at the old aud in buffalo,it wasn’t a good outcome. I even got to watch andre racicot start instead of roy. Serves me right for missing a practice to go to the game.

20. adirondack_hab says:

I was 5 and living with my grandparents and but I remember grandfather and uncle went to a game that season. They came back with junk from the concession stands but I still have the floor hockey stick they brought back for me… taped up with worn out red hockey tape from when we would go in the living room and use a tennis ball and laundry baskets as nets.. ever since I got that stick I have been a Canadiens fan. I have seen them in Boston and Buffalo and finally plan to make it to Montreal to see a game this year. Heres to hoping there is a season.

21. commandant says: