1992-93 Habs season flashback: Game 11 win over Lightning

Royweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 5-3-2  record into a game against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Oct. 28, 1992 at the Forum. Here is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs’ big line gets untracked; Bellows strikes twice against plucky Lightning

RED FISHER
The Gazette

CANADIENS 4
LIGHTNING 3

The word, Kirk Muller was saying in paragraphs, is tempo. Turn it up.

“We’ve got to go at a high tempo,” Muller said in the moments after this throat-grabbing, 4-3 victory over the plucky Tampa Bay Lightning. “We – the line has to play that way, or we’re not doing the job.”

The line Muller was talking about is the Million Dollar gang, which also includes Brian Bellows, who scored his seventh and eighth goals, and Vincent Damphousse, who assisted on both.

“We’ve been talking about it the last few days,” said Muller. “We couldn’t understand why we weren’t working together as a line. The talent is there, but the results weren’t. We’d be getting points, but not as a line, and that didn’t make sense.”

What Muller really was saying about The Line was that nobody noticed it as a line. Its members have been a step behind. There was very little eye-catching about it – until last night.

They dominated during the first two periods, which produced goals from Patrice Brisebois and Eric Desjardins and the pair from Bellows. Brian Bradley had scored a first-period goal for Tampa, and just when it appeared that the Canadiens would run away and hide, the Lightning struck for goals from Rob Ramage and Chris Kontos in the final period.

In other words, a scary ending, particularly when it’s considered the Canadiens were outshot 10-3 in the final period after outshooting Tampa 24-12 in the first two periods.

The Canadiens, no doubt, will be looking hard at films today to determine what it was that let the air out of the balloon in the final period. For one thing, they were outworked, but they can gain some solace from the fact that last night, at least, the big line came out to play.

“In other games, we weren’t moving the puck,” said Muller. “We were hanging on to it. Damphousse and I are shooters, but looking back, we could see that instead of shooting, we were passing it off. We were always looking for the other guys. Tonight’s the first time we’ve connected as a line.”

Good thing, too, because the Canadiens, as a team, had their hands full, although they should have suspected the night wouldn’t be an easy one. Earlier, for example, Lightning coach Terry Crisp had provided a quick mini-assessment of his bunch: “They listen,” he said. “They can’t sit back and tell me how good they are. They do what they’re told.”

In other words: they work. Also, they don’t quit, and to understand it, all that’s necessary is to chart the team’s conduct in the final period, when they got those Ramage and Kontos goals.

Going into the period, they trailed, 4-1. The best they could do was a goal from Bradley in the first period and a meagre total of 12 shots at Patrick Roy. In other words, the third period was a time when everything pointed to the Lightning capitulating without a whimper.

Work, you should know, also is something the Canadiens have been bringing to the arena.

Such as: Denis Savard delivers his umpteenth excellent individual effort of the season, Gilbert Dionne has one taken away from him, but he’s sufficiently alert to catch Desjardins with a short pass. Desjardins, in one of his rare dashes deep into the opposition’s zone this season, beats Jablonski.

Then, there’s Bellows snapping a shot at Lightning goaltender Jablonski, who was a hair slow closing off the corner. Jablonski got only a piece of the puck – and that was enough for coach Crisp to toss a rope around his goaltender – for a little while, at least. He was yanked in the eighth minute of the second period, but was back for the start of the third, a formula coach Crisp often used behind the Calgary bench.

Jablonski was out after 16 shots and three goals, Wendell Young was in – and there’s Bellows getting his second of the night from during a power play.

“We weren’t on the same wavelength for a long time,” said Muller. “Now we are. Now, we’ve got something to build on.”

1. Bripro says:

Hockey Frustration Song no. 16

Cue the music!

Out where the river froze
    The Sherwoods and Koho folks
    Mini-summits and boiling tempers
    Steamed in frozen pond degrees

The time has come
    To say fair’s fair
    To pay to scale
    To pay their share
    The time has come
    A fact’s a fact
    Give it to them and
    Give us hockey back

How can we dance when the rink sits empty
    How do we sleep while it burns our belly
    How can fans prance while the rink’s still empty
    How do we rest when there is no hockey

The time has come
    To yield to fame
    To pay the players
    To play our game

Bettmans scare is all for you
    Hockey deprived, regardless who
    The entire league with no release
    In frozen pond degrees

The time has come
    To say fair’s fair
    To pay the boys
    Who earn their share
    The time has come
    A fact’s a fact
    Give it to them and
    Give us hockey back

How can we blog when the rink sits empty
    How do we sit while it burns our belly
    How can fans prance while the rink’s still empty
    How do we rest when there is no hockey

The time has come
    To yield to fame
    To pay the players
    To play our game

The time has come
    Bettman’s a hack
    The game belongs to us
    We’re gonna take it back

How to pass time when the rink sits empty
    How do we rest when there is no hockey

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

2. Hobie Hansen says:

So I took in the majority of the Dogs’ game yesterday afternoon. Obviously Blake Geoffrion had a good game with his goal and assist. At the same time, he clearly looked like the most NHL ready player on the ice for the Dogs. He seemed the strongest on the puck and had the most swagger of any forward. Mike Blunden also makes his presence felt on most shifts.

Brendan Gallagher has looked better lately but he and Mike Bournival seem a ways away with their overall games. Gallagher is letting shots rip on occasion but is being knocked off and stripped of the puck a lot of the time I’ve watched him. Gallagher has gotten a bit better in each of the games I’ve seen him play.

May favorite, Jarred Tinordi still looks a bit uncomfortable out there. He was on the ice again for the only goal against and there could have been another two goals against where Tinordi would be partly responsible for, if Rober Mayer doesn’t stop a breakaway and a point blank shot. Tinordi seems to be chasing guys around and getting out of position. He did throw a couple of big hits yesterday and he’ll eventually settle down and get used to the league I’m sure.

Thumbs up to TVA for showing a bunch of Dogs games this year. Again, I’m just as happy watching our future players as the regular Habs. Maybe if the Habs were contenders it would be a different story but they won’t be until most of the good young players on the Dogs and Galchenyuk are NHL ready.

If we miss an NHL season when the Habs are probably going to miss the playoffs I can easily survive watching the AHL. GO DOGS GO!

3. HabFab says:

Gionta and Moen are also now attending the Steak dinner.
    Not sure if it’s because of the reason that one poster put out over the weekend, they are in need of a free meal.
    On the other hand, the winner will have to be careful not to criticize the players argument in the CBA negotiations…definitely out numbered and muscled on this one. Stubbs could be busy.

What a crappy a$$ day here in cowtown. Holy moly.

5. arcosenate says:

Larry goes to Finland:

In other news, quickly becoming evident that Canada is a very boring place without the NHL.

No excuses remain for guys to not watch terrible chick flicks on Saturday evenings. See Garner, Jennifer.

• Cal says:

There’s always the minor car repairs excuse. Hang out in the garage with a few cold ones.

Of course, there’s always museums and restaurants and theater and cinema and clubs, but whatever. ;)

6. commandant says:

News from Toronto. Burke says he couldve made the playoffs but he didn’t want to. http://m.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1278614–feschuk-fans-can-only-hope-brian-burke-allows-leafs-to-make-playoffs

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. Kooch7800 says:

Hope everyone had fun at the OHL game yesterday. I was wishing I could have been there.

it was great seeing everyone on Friday night. Had great company and cheap beer with the best thing in the world HOCKEY.

It was great meeting everyone. Thanks for a good time

8. L Elle says:

;)

We’re caught in a trap
    we can’t walk out
    Because we love you too much hockey

Gary, Why can’t you see
    What you’re doing to me
    You don’t listen to a word we say?

You can’t go on together
    With suspicious minds
    And you can’t build our teams
    with avaricious hearts

So, if Gary stops by
    with a deal Donny,
    Would I still see suspicion in your eyes?

Here we go again
    Another lockout
    You can’t see these fears are real
    You are annoying

You can’t go on together
    With suspicious minds
    And you can’t build our teams
    with avaricious hearts

Oh let our season survive
    Or dry the tears from our eyes
    Let’s don’t let a good thing die

When Gary and Donny you know
    All you do is lie
    Mmm yeah, yeah

We’re caught in a trap
    we can’t walk out
    Because we love you too much hockey

Chorus

And the talents of HI/O posters continues to ooze out here. Well done L, did you write that on the drive?

• JohnBellyful says:

I figured it out! The L stands for Lisa! Or is it Lovechild?
      And the Elle is obviously short for Elvis (actually Ellevis cuz, like, you’re a girl).
      I thought the resemblance between you and EP was striking Sunday morning, especially when you ordered a peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich for breakfast. Three times!
      Well done, Lisa. I mean, L.

• L Elle says:

:) Very clever JB. You have figured me out.

Now about that 50 you found, by mistake, in my purse………

• JohnBellyful says:

According to Ontario law, federal statute of limitations, local custom, and universal finders-keepers, losers-weepers protocol, not to mention legal advice from the same firm that once employed Gary Bettman, I believe I am within my rights to retain said amount until such time as remorse dictates a course of action hitherto and henceforth otherwise not contemplated.
          I hope that answers your question, assuming, of course, ……… is French for ?

• L Elle says:

……… is French for, keep the 50 JB. That’s a pittance for all the entertainment you provide.

I have to go now, i have to show your “lawyers” to the door. ;)

• Cal says:

Elvis has NOT left the pages of HIO. Great job, L Elle! ;)

9. JohnBellyful says:

1992-93 Habs season flashback fantasy diary – Oct. 29

God, what a great week it’s been, with the team going 5-0-1 over the last six games.
    Roy’s been fantastic, our third line of Pacioretty, Desharnais and Cole has played like our top line, and the guys are finally starting to accept me as their head coach.
    I understood why they were skeptical of me, a nobody, being named bench boss, but the players realized something radical had to be done because this team hasn’t won in six years – six years! – not since ‘86.
    And that Cup win was seven years after the last one before that, in ‘79.
    It’s pretty obvious this team has been on a slow, steady decline and needed to take drastic action to stop the slide. (Drafting David Wilkie, Valerie Bure and Keli Corpse in the first two rounds were real steals but it will take awhile before they begin making a difference.)
    If the championship drought continues and we don’t win this season, you can bet there will be riots breaking out all across the city.
    We Hab fans aren’t the kind to accept a team going 8, 10, 12, 15, gawd, 20 years without winning it all.
    Everybody knew team chairman/president Ronald Corey had to act quickly to turn the ship around.
    However, like so many others, I was surprised he decided to hold an open competition to find a replacement for Pat Burns, and invite fans to write in explaining why they would make a good coach, in 1,500 words or less.
    It won’t be easy taking the place of a guy like Burns, him being a Coach of the Year, but when he left to join the Leafs, I think it threw Ronnie for a loop. He threw caution to the wind. Lucky for me I was on the receiving end.
    The hardest part about the competition was keeping it to under 1,500 words. Some of the plays I have in mind – the flying wedge, the whirling dervish, pre-game and mid-game beers, the cherry picker – alone required a bunch of words (and twice as many diagrams), but I still managed to come in under the required number.
    I’m going to introduce one of the new plays tomorrow. I know I’ll get some funny looks at first – training camp all over again! – but I think the guys will come to love the Pyramid Attack, although it will take some convincing to get Gionta to stand on the shoulders of Muller and LeClair.
    However, seeing as we’re winning, they should be receptive to new ideas, which I’m writing down all the time in my little notebook while I’m behind the bench.
    (I’m really impressed with how much Muller is a student of the game. I let him read my notes since he’s expressed a strong desire to become a coach some day. When I caught Kirkie trying to learn how to say a few words in French, I told him don’t bother, focus on becoming a coach. Carbo’s the captain and speaks fluent French, he can handle the media. Let him do all the talking for the team. You wanna become coach, your first and only concern is winning. You do that and the fans won’t care what language you speak. Look at me, I told him, I speak only English and I get along fine with the French media. And I am picking up a few words. Every time they call me Merde, I tell the fellas, hey, there’s no need to be so formal, you don’t have to call me Mister, you can call me JB. But they insist on calling me Merde. Wonder the French word for Mrs. is? Merci?)
    Well, practice is about to start, I’d better go. Game tomorrow night and I gotta figure out who to start in goal, Roy or Price? They’re both playing so well. At some point I’ll have to decide who’s number one and I better do it soon before it becomes a goaltending controversy. Like it has in Toronto with Potvin and Fuhr.
    I try to keep it low-key when the guys ask me who’s starting and if I’m ever going to pick a number one. I told them, well, if either one lets in 10 goals in a game, he’s outta here. They both laughed. It’s good they both have a sense of humour.
    Maybe if I compose a few lyrics it will help me decide:

Patty and Carey were goalies
    Oh, lordie, how they could play
    One’s no better than the other
    Who’s first, it’s hard to say
    Each is swell, and they’ll do me no wrong

Gawd, what was I thinking! Writing a hockey song? No one’s tried that since Stompin’ Tom did his 20 years ago. With good reason. Hope this isn’t a sign of me cracking under the pressure.
    Maybe I’ll have them do a coin flip

• Mattyleg says:

Hey, when I was head coach of the Atlanta Flames, I used to put the sticks at center ice and divide them into 8 piles – 3 forward lines, 3 d-lines, starting and sitting goalie.

It made the players consicious that it’s a team game, and that they’d all have to pull their weight in whatever situation they found themselves in. Willi Plett moaned a bit every time he had to play goalie, but he hit his stride eventually, and even managed to get in a couple of scraps while he was at it. Heck, even Tom Lysiak made a good rushing D-man with only a bit of defensive downside (a reluctance to backcheck).

That’s my advice to you, JB. Mix it up.
      Hey, it can’t hurt, right?
      I’m so right.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Matty, I always thought you got a raw deal in Atlanta, them letting you go the way they did. From the top of the Omni Coliseum. No golden parachute for you!
        Was that any way to treat a coach whose team finished the season with a winning record and 83 points? Sure, you lost in the preliminary round to the Rangers in four games but I think some of the moves you made that series could have revolutionized the game, if anybody had actually been watching. Having the players wear mini-flame throwers on their gloves was brilliant. For the refs to call that unsportsmanlike conduct told me the fix was in.

• Habfan10912 says:

Such is life as a NHL head coach Matty. One year you win the Jack Adams trophy ( which by the way it should be named the Toe Blake Trophy) the next year you’ve getting fired.

———————————–

• Cal says:

Matty, the night Sheman rolled into Atlanta was one for the ages. Hope you weren’t burnt! ;)

• Habfan10912 says:

JB, I hope someone takes video of the pyramid play you’ve designed. :)
      Great meeting you and glad you made it home safely. CHeers!

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Jim, it was a pleasure to have met you and your son, Chris. How was the trip home? I was wondering about the two of you when I didn’t see you post early this morning. Hope all’s well and the storm doesn’t turn out as bad as they’re predicting.
        Always good to hear from you.
        Hope F and B — effin’ B — get a deal done soon — talk about your fantasies! — and there will be a season AND a maxi-summit, when we can meet again.
        Cheers.

• Cal says:

Now, JB, this is a true mish-mash of fantasy and reality. Good thing it’s Monday or I may not have been able to handle it. ;)
      Hysterical as always!!! :D

I guess the drive from the Hammer to home got you to thinking JB, cuz those are some good thoughts worth reading. Cheers bud, always good seeing you again and keep up the good work Coach!

I see a nice fedora in your future, would suit you behind the bench.

• JohnBellyful says:

Burl, a fedora sounds good. Got a picture of me wearing one when I was a young lad. Looked just like Der Bingle.
        If I run into any problems with this coaching gig — okay, let’s just say, hypothetically — I hope I can count on you to help in a pinch. And if that doesn’t work, a poke. (Some of the players are hard to get through).
        Enjoyed the get-together. Hope to see you and the gang for a Stanley Cup celebration.

• Bripro says:

OK John?
      You’re a funny man. No question.
      But I think you need help. ;)

*********************************************

I think you are right Bri, get over to JB’s place now and start typing for him, he could produce way more material if he had a proper Stenographer there to help him. :)

• Bripro says:

I think he’d make me look bad Gerry.
          Sounds like you guys had a blast. I’m envious and jealous all at the same time.
          I think I’ve been trying to emulate Bettman too much!
          You know…. short and rich.

*********************************************

• JohnBellyful says:

I need help being funny?
        Bri’, that cuts to the quick. See if I ever offer you any advice again on how to deal with customers. :)
        BTW, how did it go with the client Friday? Is your new address Easy Street?

• Bripro says:

Easy street? Is there such an address? My GPS certainly can’t locate it.
          My friday customer has turned into a two-fridays-from-now customer.
          Back in Brampton. So I think I’ll be on my own, unless you guys decide on another quick-fix mini-summit.
          And it’s not customers I need advice with. It’s family. Especially a 19-year old.

*********************************************

• Mattyleg says:

I’m sure your 19-year-old has plenty of advice for you…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Nov. 16th/17th is Bulldogs Marlies home and home series Bri. Get your customer onboard for that weekend and we got some hockey to watch!!

10. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!

1: All HI/Oers in the Northern States, stay safe, batten down the hatches and keep your spirits up! We’re all pullin’ for you up here; we’ll be getting ours later on, though not nearly as bad.

b: I was at Frankie Boullion’s charity ball-hockey tournament this weekend; it was a block away from my house. Bit of a disappointing turnout… not a lot of people, but there was a good buzz. I got there late, and didn’t see Begin, and Frankie wasn’t playing, but Max Lapierre was playing.

Max kind of confirmed my suspicions of him – probably a nice guy, but can’t seem to shake that “I’m a rockstar” attitude. Didn’t come across that well. Frankie, on the other hand, is true class. A really good guy, you can just tell by looking at him. Soft-spoken and sincere. I gave him a pat on the shoulder and told him how happy I am that he’s back in Montreal, and he seemed happy to hear it.

iii) Going to start checking out tickets for the Armada de Boisbriand, if for no other reason, than to get a chance to meet Joel Bouchard ;-) Gotta get my hockey on.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Goid morning Matty. Bathtubs filled. Potential projectile’s secured. Phones anf flashlights all charged. Pets inside and dry. As prepated for Sandy as can be.
      Glad you got a chance to meet Frankie and Max. Sounds like a great way to get your hockey fix.
      Be safe all!

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Get your fireplace stoked, and the generator running. Can never be too careful.
        It looks like you had a great time on the weekend Jim.
        I hope you enjoy the rest of your week as much.
        Take care down there!

*********************************************

• Cal says:

Fingers crossed for you and yours, Jim. Be safe!

11. I don’t get it… Hockey fans are starved for action, locked out of NHL games and yet, the Dogs get only 2,405 fans out of a stadium that has over 17,000 capacity? What’s up with that? Is Abbotsford that bad, or the Dogs so unworthy?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Mattyleg says:

I guess that’s what happens when you put the Farm Team over 700km away from the NHL team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

There was a pretty decent crowd Friday night. One other point, they do not sell seats in the upper bowl so I think the capacity is much less then the 17,000. Still 2,400 is not good, eh?

———————————–

The poor Dogs teams the past couple years really hurt momentum in the area. Also you have to remember that while there are lots of hockey fans in the area, many more are Leaf fans more than Habs.

Sunday Afternoon, a grey rainy cold weekend and not as many of the Hab faithful made the trip (I for one guilty as charged).

If the team can continue to improve, I believe attendance will rise, but will never get to constant sellouts. Also they have tarped off the upper deck at Copps, otherwise even with 9,000 in the building it feels empty.

I hope it improves, I know I will be at many more games this season.

12. Cal says:

Here’s a Monday morning lockout tune.
    Please leave song suggestions in the comments section.
    All will be considered.

• JohnBellyful says:

Cal, Cal, the Music Man
      If he can’t write lyrics
      Then nobody can.

You, sir, have the songwriting fever. Don’t see a doctor. :)
      Your self-prescription seems to be working just fine: six or more verses in the morning.

• Habfan10912 says:

Nice work Cal.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

On the money again!
      I met the band at Bourbon Street North in St Sauveur some years ago.
      Much better studio band than live, but I love your selection.

*********************************************

• Cal says:

I read somewhere that they did this song for a movie- their agent suggested it would be good for their career- but they did it as a parody of themselves. Of course it became their biggest hit. :D

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Price joining the table at Moishe’s should add another $ 2000 to the final bid :)
    …if I was in Montreal, and also could be accompanied by My son and 2 daughters, I would not sweat $ 5000
    …as I know I would be in the Good Books of My daughters for the rest of My existence :)
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton until this f*&%^g lock-out is over !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

14. ProHabs says:

Hey Commandant,
    Do you know anything about a prospect named Brandon Prophet who plays for Saginaw in the OHL. Does he have a chance at the NHL.

• commandant says:

I just looked him up because I don’t have him in any of my notes.

After looking him up, I know why… He’s a rookie, just drafted in the 2nd round of the OHL draft, and has only played 5 games for Saginaw. I haven’t had the chance to see him yet. Ask me again in a month or so, and hopefully I’ll have seen a game of his or two.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

15. Cal says:

Congrats to Dave Stubbs for getting that charity dinner done. Maybe the league will be back on track by the time that it is held…..Nahhhhhhhhhh! ;)

So NBC/NBCSports has secured the rights for EPL (English Premiere League) for the next 3 years starting next August. Given the money paid for 3 years 250Million, seems they are pretty committed to this. THe NHL needs to be careful, or the opportunity they had to be the one of the foothold sports enterprises on that network could be jeopardized.

• commandant says:

EPL games will never replace NHL games due to the time zone differences, and the times the games are played.

Lets also not forget that Comcast owns the controlling interest of NBC now, and the man who owns the controlling interest of Comcast is Ed Snyder.

Seems to me this is to get more content on a network that needs content right now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I agree with you on weekdays but not on weekends. Traditionally in the U.S. the biggest hockey games of the week are played on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. This is also the same time when the EPL has their biggest games. From 10am until 3pm you can watch EPL games. If indeed the EPL takes off from a fan perspective these games could become the feature games on an NBCSPorts channel as opposed to a Washington versus Pittsburgh game.

I am not saying it will happen, but it is something the NHL needs to be wary of, if indeed they decide to have this lockout go an entire season or even worse beyond.

• commandant says:

What time is the last EPL game over by?

I would think they would do double headers with EPL at noon or 1:00 and NHL at 3 or 4.

Seems to be the American way of doing Sunday/Saturday sports.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

17. punkster says:

As some of you know, former HI/O regular JD partners every year with the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation during the month of October to raise funds for underprivileged youth.

Since its inception in August 2000, the Foundation has donated upwards of $13.5 million to 450 charitable endeavours from across the province of Quebec. This winter, the Foundation expects to unveil its fifth hockey rink in Montreal, a facility where underprivileged children will be able to borrow equipment and skate out onto the ice to enjoy this amazing sport.

The fundraising effort is built around JD’s Halloween home haunt located in Kirkland, QC. Although cash donations are accepted on Oct. 31st, a $5 donation can also be made at any time by texting “Habs” to 45678.

This is a slideshow of this year’s display.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

18. Gally is now only 3 points back of first place in OHL scoring…and every player ahead of him was born in 1993…he was born in 1994. Not bad for a kid who also missed an entire season and is playing on a ‘bad’ team.
    Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

19. savethepuck says:

What’s with the comments off on the next thread? I wannt to say how classy our players are for donating their time to a good cause. Guess I just did anyway.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

I am guessing that Stubbs is listening to the posts where it was felt that new threads stunted discussions which were going on. This way he provides us the information, but the thread discussion continues. If that is the case, “Way to go Stubbs!”

• Dave Stubbs says:

Exactly right, HabinBurlington… that’s precisely why I disabled comments on the post above. I know the flow of comments among readers is disrupted when we add “too many” posts during the course of a day and I’ve heard your suggestions about that. But my hat is seriously off to the players who have taken one silly tweet of mine on Oct. 11 and turned it into something that will help many needy Montrealers during the holiday season. A very classy gesture on their part.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
        Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
        • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
        • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

This Cowboy Giants game is a wild finish!

21. JF says:

Great game by the Bulldogs tonight. Mayer was outstanding, as was Bournival. Goals were scored by Geoffrion and Palushaj (on the powerplay). Penalty killing was excellent, even though the Heat came in with a powerplay scoring at 28%. It was great to see the kids hanging on at the end, although the play was mostly in their end and Mayer had to make a couple of excellent saves.

To be fair to the Heat, they were playing their third game in three nights. They’re a better team than the Dogs, play a tight checking system and make good precise passes. They moved the puck well all night, whereas our kids tended to dump and chase it. But the victory feels good (especially when contrasted with the third-period collapses that were a regular feature of last year’s Habs’ performances).

• jedimyrmidon says:

Man, I really hope that the system isn’t to always dump and chase it. Seems to kill creativity. Imagine if Galchenyuk ever plays in the AHL and that’s what he’s told to do.

In fairness this current Bulldog team doesn’t have alot of offensive creativity or perhaps better put, highly talented offensive puck carriers.

They are young and the strength with the current roster will be the Dmen, but the forwards are more a combination of hard workers and decent offensive skill.

A player like Avtsin is probably one of the most offensive creative puck carriers they have, and he appears to be struggling the past seasons to adjust to AHL Pro hockey.

I think for now this roster, needs to play a simple gameplan with heavy forecheck and make opportunities around the net and score goals from the dirty areas.

As more skill arrives, perhaps they then can play a more puck posession style.

• savethepuck says:

But I was under the impression that the Bulldogs would be playing the same system as the Habs, as has been the case for the past couple of years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• JF says:

That’s exactly how they scored their goals tonight and at least two of the four they scored against the Marlies the other night – hard work, driving to the net, unrelenting pressure in the offensive zone. I think the dump-and-chase is less a matter of strategy than a result of the team’s youth and inexperience, as well as (as Burlington pointed out) the fact that they’re not all that offensively gifted.

Hey, it feels good to be actually discussing a hockey game instead of the f—ing lockout!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah I understand… It just seems that such a system would best work with big players, and I don’t think the forwards on the Bulldogs are all that imposing. Seems like they would lose most battles along the boards.

Also, last season on the Habs, it often looked like they couldn’t complete passes, like they’d lost all accuracy because they were dumping the puck so often and getting nowhere.

22. jols101 says:

Grigorenko did not dress today for Quebec, anyone have the scoop?

23. Shadow8 says:

Sweet, nice win Dogs. Team looking better defensively.

24. Cal says:

Bulldogs win 2-1 over Abbotsford. :)

25. Ron says:

Nice win by the Dogs. 2-1. Puck in Dogs end for most of last min and half.

26. jols101 says:

Is the weather terrible in the GTA ? Doesn’t look like there is a whole lot of support for the Bulldogs in Hamilton. On my TV it looks like the stands are 70% empty…

Okay its NFL Sunday and it seems the Giants (Sorry Chris and Jim) appear to be crapping the bed after what should have been a blowout for them in the first half.

28. HabFab says:

Very,very interesting…..

DarrenDreger; According to airport spies, Don Fehr managed to get on the last flight out of Laguardia to Toronto.

29. Haborama says:

LOL u guys, TONNES of great prospects in the 2013 draft, I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would definatly be worth tanking this season, if there is a season at all.

if we were to get any two of Barkov, Monnehan, Erne, Mantha, Carrier, Harper, or that gigantic Russian kid on London then we would be that much better.

and thats just the icing on the cake!!!

Theres this Russian kid playing for Baie-Comou whose name escapes me that is supposed to GREAT, they say that his stock has risen lately. Does anyone know any more details on him??

and of course there is McKinnon and Jones, but I dont think that we should be THAT bad…………….

with a good showing at the 2013 draft, our future would be that much brighter.

30. SlimDiggity says:

Attended the Sarnia vs Erie game last night and I have to second commandant’s comment about Sarnia’s team. Gally finished with 0 points last night but could easily have had about 2 goals, 3 assists.

There really is no other offensive talent on Sarnia. Zero creativity, zero anticipation. Could not get the puck to Gally consistently; couldn’t finish his setups.

31. Ron says:

Bulldogs 1 – 1 in 2nd period. Geoffrion scored goal

Edit: now 2-1 Dogs 2nd Palushaj
    Edit: 2-1 Dogs end of 2nd

Seems to me that Fehr is missing the point with regards to who is in the drivers seat regarding this negotiation. Whether right or wrong ( and I do think the owners are not right) the owners are the owners. Fehr’s job as head of the NHLPA is to find the best deal possible for the players. Seems Fehr is more interested in inventing the best deal for the Players.

When the NHL makes an offer negotiate off of their offer, rather than create a complete different offer which you expect them to negotiate off of.

I am now thinking no chance of NHL hockey this season unless the players tell Fehr to start trying to make a deal with that mule of a prick Bettman.

33. JF says:

Anyone watching the Bulldogs? The game is on TVA. No score after one.

34. smiler2729 says:

F***ing NHL players… do my job for a week, you whining sacks of shite… keep bitching over who gets the billions and don’t be surprized how many ‘fans’ don’t come back to watch you a-holes…

damn right i’m pissed.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• fun police says:

derek roy tweeted a picture of his, i think it was a ferrari, that sets off car alarms as he put it. hard to take their part in this as well. they are both screwing the fan.

35. Shadow8 says:

Another three points for Gally today. Now tied for 5th in the league.

15 games 21 points

• commandant says:

I went to the game… .Its ridiculous how bad the rest of that Sarnia team is. Galchenyuk could easily have had 5 or 6 points if his teammates could bury a puck in an open net, or could properly execute a give and go, and put the puck back on Gally’s stick instead of in his skates… or worse 4 feet behind him.

Reid Boucher made a particularly big whiff with an open net in the second period.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Hey Ben, good to hear Galley can put up the points he does without help. If indeed the NHL season is lost, I certainly agree with you and others in hoping he gets traded to a contender.

Have a good day.

36. Ron says:

Looks like the players are starting to hurt and looking for food, lol. The charity dinner Dave is auctioning for the great charity the Gazette puts on has added a couple more players looking to get some eats. Along with Armstrong, Darche and Gorges add Price and Prust. Great auction though, up to $2800. Good on the guys to get on board.

37. JF says:

According to a link (Flyers talk on Comcast Sportsnet) posted on the last thread by HabFab, the NHL has to make a decision next week about the Winter Classic. If they intend to cancel it, they have to do it almost immediately to avoid financial penalties. My guess is they’ll do it, and the rest of the season will follow it down the drain before too long. It’s almost inconceivable that an entire season could be lost because of a difference of a few hundred million spread over thirty teams in a league whose revenues and salaries reached record levels last year, but it seems to be about to happen. It’s clear Bettman was not serious when he said ten days ago that he still hoped for an 82-game season; otherwise he would not have dismissed the PA’s counter-proposals so rapidly or refused to meet them last week. The whole thing was a media show; and, because the so-called negotiations have become a showdown between two egotists neither of whom will back down an inch, we’re going to lose our season. I just hope the fans desert in droves when the NHL condescends to start up again, and that the games are played in half-empty arenas. All we can do to have an impact is to not give the league our money.

38. smiler2729 says:

Pathetic…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

39. frontenac1 says:

F*ck the NHL. Anybody else like the Steelers uniform today?

• habsfan0 says:

The Steelers’ “prison” unis today looked almost as horrendous as the Habs’ “barber pole” unis.

I am glad I can’t remember the day when the Steelers wore those as their regular uniforms (1934 for those wondering). Unfortunately the Steelers will be wearing those Chain Gang outfits again in mid November against the Ravens. Such is the penalty of a team celebrating its 80th year in a league. We Hab fans remember some of the pajama outfits our players came on the ice wearing a few years back.

40. AceMagnum says:

Let’s trade Bellows to Tampa while his stock is high for Marc Bureau!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

Plus ça change…

It’s not like HIO hasn’t been dedicated to wallowing in past glories and reporting about that which is disconnected from reality since I first logged on here.

42. Psycho29 says:

Call me crazy…..I know it’s only October 28th…..but I have a feeling that this team could go all the way!
    Remember that you heard it here first!!!

43. ProHabs says:

Premier. Merci.

44. frontenac1 says:

Nice! Singin” from Frontenacs Hymn Book Amigo!

45. frontenac1 says:

Nice! Cohibas and Cognac.I like your style Amigo. Singin” from Frontenacs Hymn Book.