1992-93 Habs season flashback: Flyers dominate Habs at Forum

Lindrosweb

As we wait and hope for an end to the NHL lockout, Canadiens fans can relive the 1992-93 season – the last year the Habs won the Stanley Cup – at HIO as we post game stories from that season.

The Habs took a 12-3-2  record into a game against the Philadelphia Flyers on Nov. 14, 1992. Here is Red Fisher’s story from that game:

Flyers pure magic at Forum; Habs haven’t beaten them there in five years

RED FISHER
The Gazette

FLYERS 4
CANADIENS 3 (OT)

Apparently, there’s no place like home for the Canadiens – particularly when the Philadelphia Flyers are the opposition.

Consider these numbers, for example, in the wake of their 4-3 overtime loss to the Flyers last night, one which brings their 11-0- 1 roll to a shuddering halt.

The last time they beat the Flyers at the Forum was on Nov. 7, 1987. Since then, their record against the Flyers at home is 0-5-3.

Until last night, the Canadiens had been 8-0-1 at home. Their last loss? Yeah, against the Flyers on March 18.

Is that enough to send the Canadiens back to the drawing board? Probably not, when it’s considered that after trailing 2-0 after the first period and 3-1 late in the second, third-period goals by Stephan Lebeau and another by J.J. Daigneault with fewer than three minutes remaining sent the game into overtime – only to have Kevin Dineen put away the Canadiens 48 seconds into the overtime.

He beat Mike Keane to an exquisite setup by Rod Brind’Amour and … ta! ta!

The loss left several of the Canadiens dismayed – among them Patrick Roy, whose lifetime regular-season record is 0-6-6 against the Flyers. Another is John LeClair, who scored the first Canadiens goal and spent most of the night running into Mt. Eric Lindros.

“I guess we ran into each other six, seven times,” said LeClair. “Frankly, I don’t know why, because he’s a centre and I’m on the wing. I guess it’s because we’re both big, but he’s bigger than I am.

“You run into him,” sighed LeClair, “and it’s just like hitting a wall. On the other hand, it’s always nice to knock down a bigger guy, because the crowd reacts.”

LeClair was on a line with Brian Bellows and Kirk Muller, who assisted on two of the goals, including Daigneault’s game-tying longshot. He was there as a replacement for Gilbert Dionne, who wasn’t dressed, and caught everyone’s eye as well as several thundering whacks from Lindros.

The Flyers went a long way toward locking up this game when they scored the only goals in the first period – from Claude Boivin and Brent Fedyk. Fedyk added a second goal late in the second period, after LeClair had scored.

“They played well, but I really thought we were gonna pull it out in the overtime,” said LeClair. “I mean, the other guy (Roussel) made all kinds of stops, didn’t he?”

So he did, among the 33 shots delivered by the Canadiens, including six by Lebeau, who was on the ice for the overtime goal. The reality, though, is that the Flyers deserved everything they got.

“Crazy, isn’t it?” Roy asked. “I mean, how can I go 12 games without beating those guys. I thought I was going to do it tonight, but a lot of things happened.

“Like the goal by Fedyk in the first period,” said Roy. “Short side, right? I thought it was going wide, but there was a big guy named Lindros in front of me. I was really surprised when I looked behind me and saw the puck in the net.”

Did the Flyers catch the Canadiens in a deep doze until the Canadiens caught fire in the third? Was this a matter of the air going out of the balloon after a remarkable streak?

Was it more a case of the Flyers, locked in a skirmish for last place in the Patrick, elevating their game several rink-lengths?

In truth, it was an amalgam of all of them, along with Roy coming up somewhat short against a team which, for some reason, always has represented a formidable challenge.

In any assessment of what happened here last night, the only sure thing is that LeClair and Muller were the best of the Canadiens forwards.

“LeClair,” said coach Jacques Demers, “showed a lot of character coming back with a goal after taking a big hit from Lindros.”

What Demers could have added was that while LeClair and Muller excelled – and more – several of their colleagues missed the team bus.

There’s another one waiting for them tomorrow against the Boston Bruins.

(Photo by Ralph Bower/Vancouver Sun)

1. frontenac1 says:

For anyone fed up with this Fantasy nonsense, RDS is now showing Habs vs “Diques circa 1982

2. JF says:

I think today is the day the players would have received their third paycheque. It is the first whose absence they would really feel, since the one in mid-October would have been small, and the absence of the second would have been cushioned by their escrow payments. There has not been a peep out of the league since Sunday; I wonder if they have been deliberately waiting until after today to suggest a resumption of negotiations or to offer the players any new crumb. Just a thought…. I still think there will be further talks over the weekend or early next week, with a real push to get a deal done soon enough for the puck to be dropped about 1 December. If that attempt fails, then the earliest we could see hockey would in my opinion be 1 January. If not then, then not at all this season.

• HabFab says:

Twitter is saying, league has made their offer and it is up to the players to come back with something different or start negotiations based on that offer. The league is no longer interested in meeting just to meet. The players are saying there is wiggle room but the league is saying they’re not getting that in the meetings.
      In short blah blah blah!
      Harder and harder to remain optimistic.

• JF says:

Agree that it’s hard, but I’m trying! Vincent Damphousse and François Gagnon said on L’Antichambre last night that they thought a deal was near, that the League’s tactics all along have been to raise the players’ hopes and then crush them, and to use any means of heightening their anxiety. Letting days go by in silence at this critical stage would be one such way, especially when one of those days should have been pay-day. This silence is also what happened in the NBA talks last year when a critical point in the negotiations had been reached. I guess I’m searching for scraps of hope….

3. HabFab says:

So the FehrButt Nazis still says “No hockey for you, you OR you!”

4. Kooch7800 says:

Saw this and it it was worth Sharing

From Montrealhockeytalk.com:

I’m not a lawyer, a player or an owner, but I do have a vested interest in the entity that is NHL hockey. For over 35 years, the arrival of the fall season, while marked with trepidation at the upcoming temperature drop, also filled me with joy as it was a sign of the upcoming return of NHL hockey. But now, for the 2nd time in 8 years, this is not the case. The owners, not happy with the financial agreement they put in place, have locked out the players.

Before I get to my solution, I will quickly say the following. I understand both sides of this argument. Yes, the players made every concession in the agreement that ended the ’04 lockout, but they have benefitted GREATLY from that agreement, so much so that they extended it 4 years after that lockout. And yes, the owners are the ones that need policies in place because they can’t control themselves, but is it not the right of the owner(s) of a business to re-evaluate the business model and make adjustments?

All that being said, here is my new 10 year Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for the NHL.

Since the end of the last lockout, the NHL has enjoyed an annual growth rate of over 7%. For the sake of this argument, we are going to assume a continued growth, but at a more conservative 4%.

The players don’t want to lose anything off of their existing contracts, which is understandable. But in order to go from the current 57% of hockey related revenue (HRR) that the players enjoy to the accepted middle ground of 50-50, there will have to be concessions.

Year 1 : 54% of revenue to the players.

In my proposal, the owners will once again have a one-time buyout option of a current contract that will not count against the salary cap. But rather than a reduced amount (currently 2/3), they will have to pay 100% of the value of the contract they want to buyout. This will allow the owners to get below the salary cap while honoring the existing contracts at full value.

Year 2,3,4 : Players share is 51%, 48%, and 47%.

While the total percentage of the players take from HRR slides downwards, with the expected annual growth (4%, stated earlier), the players actual salary should not decrease, and the net final outcome of the first 4 years of the CBA is a 50-50 split of revenue.

Years 5 through 10, 50-50 split.

In year 5, the players get a serious boost as their percentage of revenue jumps 4 points to get to the 50-50 level. This will allow players just coming into the league now to benefit from some long term growth and will allow teams to hang onto some players that they normally might have to part with as a talented young team matures.

The continued split of HRR at the 50% level should allow everyone concerned to be happy moving forward.

This agreement is 10 years long for 2 reasons. First of all, it gives the fans some comfort in knowing that there will be a decade of labour peace, and they can once again put the hearts behind their teams. Second, it lasts one year longer than the current 2 billion dollar TV deal with NBC. So no matter what happens with the next deal, be it up or down, the league has a year to react in the CBA negotiations.

Overtime. 3 quick points

1-With the extra revenue now flowing to the owners, they need to put a better revenue sharing plan in place to help the “smaller markets” keep up with the growth of the larger ones.

2-Don’t limit the term of contracts. Simply make whatever amount the player is being paid in any given year the amount that counts against the cap.

3-A negotiation clause that states both sides must start negotiating, in good faith, at least 1 calendar year before the end of the agreement.

So that’s it. Let’s shake hands and make up, and drop the puck please.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

5. otter649 says:

Ex-Bruin Stan Jonathan charged in death of another hunter while Jonathan was deer hunting near Six Nations Reserve, Ontario……

6. Mattyleg says:

Oh man, I’m so annoyed right now.

I just made the mistake of watching that Lindros video.
    What an absolute clown.
    Doesn’t deserve to be in the HoF.
    I watched the video to see if my perception of him was clouded by youth or other biases, and that perhaps I’d learn to appreciate him now as an older, wiser, better looking person than I was when he played.

How wrong I was.

He’s such a pussy cheap-shot artist who spent long periods on-ice drifting and whining.
    Most of his ‘big hits’ are headshots to people who no longer have the puck, or are clear charging situations, where he’s skating from across the surface to plow someone who is digging the puck out from his feet.

Most of his fights are against lesser fighters, and his punches only start to land once he’s squashed them onto the ice.

The one that really sums him up for me is the cheap pick play behind the net. That’s the Lindros I remember, and the people who admire him LOVE garbage like that.

God I hate that guy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• commandant says:

Lindros was a better player than Cam Neely IMO… much better. He was arguably the best all around guy in the NHL from 1995 to about 1999. If Neely gets in, Lindros should get in IMO.

As for being an asshole, yeah, he is. But there are plenty of assholes in halls of fame for every sport.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I hate to say this about a Bruin, but I would take Neely in my lineup over Lindros any day. Perhaps much of this for me is personal bias, but from the day he forced a trade in Junior to the way he entered the NHL and how his parents acted, I never ever liked Lindros.

He had talent, but Neely was a great goal scorer who brought physicality and an attitude to the Bruin team.

• Cal says:

I always thought a Hall of Famer would have learned to keep his head up, but Eric never did. I loved to watch other players pop that a-hole.

@Burly- He and Chara are the two most despised players in my book. Both are huge and the biggest cheap shot artists ever to play the game. One is gone because of his cheap play and kharma is a bitch. It’s only a matter of time for that other POS I mentioned.

• habsgod says:

cam neeely was a better player! i’m a habs fan i hate the bruins with a passion and hate neely but respect him for the type of player he was he’s the type of player you hate but would love to have on the habs! while lindros was a good player i don’t think he was the best player from 1995 -99 jaromir jagr was he was twice the player lindros is or was.

• Cal says:

And I thought “douchier” was the post of the day. This one easily tops it, Matty! Well done!

• myron.selby says:

My favorite Lindros moment was in the first regular season game Koivu played for the Habs. I had been waiting for Koivu to show up ever since they drafted him. I’d followed all his scoring stats and any other available stories and even had a Koivu Habs jersey before he even got to North America.

The Habs were winning and Koivu had made Lindros look silly on about 3 plays in a row – going around him like a turnstyle. Next play, Koivu tried to get by Lindros in the Flyers zone on the right boards. Lindros absolutely leveled him with the most blatant elbow imaginable – bounced Koivu’s head off the boards.

Koivu leaped up bleeding, immediately retrieved the puck and created a scoring chance off the play. To me that play epimotized exactly who both players were – one a never say die gamer and the other a whiny cheap shot artist, who picked on people way smaller than him.

Lindros was never man enough to carry Saku’s jockstrap. I never thought he lived up to half the hype around him, and that’s not even taking into account his loathsome personality.

7. mark-ID says:

I love how the biggest news right now, is an off-season baseball trade.

All while the NHL sleeps.

8. shiram says:

So Jeffrey Loria, not content with his baseball success in MTL, has gutted the Marlins in a ridiculous deal with the Blue Jays. Miami also paid 75% of the 600 millions it cost to build their brand new stadium, all the while finishing last in their division.

9. jedimyrmidon says:

Must be painful to watch Bulldogs games where they go down 3-0 or 4-0 and maaaybe score a goal.

That being said, people surprised/disappointed that it looks like men vs. boys out there… it sort of is. So as long as the rookies are developing, that’s great.

Man, Lindros was a beast. A jerk but a beast. The only player on Habs that ever came close was MAB.

11. BJ says:

I would like to bring Schultz back up from the ECHL, again we are intimidated and pushed around. I hope this organization will be more aware to this fact than the last BG-PG combo.

• commandant says:

What would a fat and out of shape player do?

The Bulldogs were beaten by a veteran team with more AHL experience, not one that intimidated them. Maybe you missed Beaulieu beating the tar out of Frederic Roy, but that didn’t look like a team that was intimidated.

With Hagel, Stortini, Tinordi, Beaulieu all in the lineup, this team isn’t lacking in toughness.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• BJ says:

Get in shape. And come back to a league he belongs in to start. I saw the Beaulieu fight and he did win that one against a lightweight. I don’t know if you have watched many of the Bulldogs games I’ve seen 8 of them so far. And I’m seeing the same illness that is apparent with the Habs. Not much toughness (Stortini, Tinordi excluded). We lose board battles except Gallagher. Mostly all the same sized smallish players as we have with the big team. These kids need space and they could use a Schultz to create extra space, Stortini is not enough and Tinordi should only have to chip in occasionally.

• Cal says:

Bringing Schultz back sends the worst message to all the Bulldogs. The best thing that happened to Schultz was to be sent down. Slackers are no longer welcome in the Montreal organization, and that’s a good thing.

• commandant says:

Exactly.

I’ve seen a lot of Bulldogs games.

Like I said in my post below, what you are seeing with the dogs is what happens when you have a team full of AHL rookies, inconsistent play and they are beaten by older, stronger, more experienced players. They will lose their share of games.

However the importance is the development. And bringing back a lazy player who doesn’t stay in shape is not the best message to give to the team.

If anyone is called up from the ECHL it should be Fortier.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

12. BJ says:

Game over Rochester (men) 4 Hamilton (boys) 1.

13. commandant says:

Anyone who was expecting a great season out of the Bulldogs hasn’t been paying attention to the AHL.

The AHL isn’t a league where a team full of Rookies (and the Bulldogs have 5 rookies on defence alone, and many upfront as well) can dominate. No matter how talented those rookies are, they are going to struggle and be inconsistent playing against men.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Gallagher, Bournival, Qualier, etc… etc… will all struggle at times.

Losing Leblanc and Geoffrion are big blows for sure. But even with them, this is a team that might be able to barely squeak into the playoffs, not contend for a title this year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kooch7800 says:

They are missing Greg Pateryn on D as well I believe. They are too young on D with weak goal tending.

They will struggle this year but there will be some good hockey being played. Too be honest the lockout benefit is that none of these guys will be called up and they can all develop in the AHL this year. The young D really need it.

I think this Roster when looking at it down the road you will see quite a few of them in the NHL.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

14. BJ says:

Nattinen scores Dogs first goal still down by 3 with 3 minutes left.

15. BJ says:

Look down one from the Galchenyuk article. http://www.hockey30.com/

16. Cal says:

Looking at the image for the Lindros at the dinner table I couldn’t help but think of Joey Elias’ “I like soup!” routine.

17. BJ says:

Re-post: On another note, has anyone seen the Dallas Stars new colors? Blue, blanc et rouge. Gainey’s influence?

18. New says:

I think the worst thing about the lockout is that the Canadiens never get better. Third last overall they stay there. No trades, no evaluations, no bright lights on the horizon. Just mired in the basement.