Yeah, they’re that good

The Capitals bombarded Carey Price with 41 shots and won their ninth straight against a depleted Canadiens lineup.

Start prayin’ for Plekanec.

1. wd40 says:

Bang on!   At this point, as a GM, you’re not being asked if you think the hit was a suspendable offense as much as you’re being asked if you wish to take a stance which would contradict what the NHL decided.

2. habinypsi says:

If Boudreau doesn’t like Habs fans voicing their opinion, than he can take his team back to DC and forfeit the game.

3. andrewberkshire says:

Boudreau would love it if Crosby stayed away.

4. Graves says:

Damn, those uniforms are hideous.

5. Axeman says:

Not that I wish what happened to Max-Pac on any other player, but I almost cannot wait until the shoe is on the other foot, and a player from ANY team other than the Canadiens falls victim to a similar “hockey play”.  You don’t think Boudreau’s face would be even more puffed up if it was Ovechkin that had been hit into the stantion like that?

6. eyhp says:

I wonder if those GMs would still think that was a “hockey play” if Max-Pac was paralysed or died from the hit. Shameful.

7. C3P1 says:

crosby is out right now because of how terribly his concussion was managed.  not only did he finish the winter classic, he played another full game where he got crunched again and then flew to MTL before he was pronounced out. he and steckel ran into each other.

8. Chorske says:

I still think that we beat the Bruins with finesse and discipline, not by sinking to their level of goonery and thuggishness. But then, I think White did a fine job teaching Boychuk about knee-on-knee contact, and when not to attempt it on Subban.

Any other week, I’d comment on how CRAZY you are. But I ate so much crow last Tuesday (and it cost me a round of Bushmills at Hurleys, too) that I am just going to be quiet.

9. Chorske says:

It’s like a bunch of prisoners tried to dress up as french sailors who play rubgy. It’s RIDICULOUS.

10. shootdapuck says:

He was so thorough that he neglected to speak to the victim!

Just a subordinate making sure he kept his job and his dream of being an NHL GM alive.

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office. Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

11. shootdapuck says:

Looks like what the winner in Bangkok’s most beautiful drag queen contest would be wearing!

With matching sandals!

12. ClaytonM says:

Dirty hits, cheap shots, whatever you want to call them, they had one thing in common besides the head injuries – the non-chalant skate away from the scene of the crime without looking back.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

13. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

yes, its a limited #…. but one player is worth it… just to send a message.

I’d take HENRY over WEBER or PYATT depending on if you’d use him on the 4th line…

just imagine HENRY-WHITE-MOEN

14. Mr.Hazard says:

My mom, who knows little about hockey, heard segments of what he said on radio, and she assumed he wasn’t all there. She was like “But there must be something wrong with him? He sounds completely off his rocker.” She couldn’t believe it when I told her he had a law degree. Her opinion wasn’t based on WHAT he was saying, just the way he spoke. He’s a nutcase.

15. Propwash says:

Btw, Thanks a billion for the shot Chorske!

16. Chorske says:

Consider it a pre-childbirth fortifier. 😉

And a lesson in humility for me… :p

17. jbroderi says:

Stay Puff Marshmellow face is back to yapping off!!   Check the link.

18. avatar_58 says:

That’s rich given what one of his clowns did to Crosby

19. C3P1 says:

you actually think that was a dirty hit? wow.

20. oshawahabsfan says:

It was a well placed “accidental” hit, one where he didn’t try too hard to avoid contact

21. oshawahabsfan says:

He just knows they’re going to lose to us again, so he’s trying to make a statement any way he can

22. Chorske says:

Holy double standard, hero. Like Crosby says, if you have time to line a guy up, you also have time to adjust so you don’t smack his head. It was another example of a player going for a game-changing, intimidating big hit without much regard for the consequences.

23. Chorske says:

We’ll just throw him into the pile with Cherry, Mckenzie, Milbury, Bettman, etc

24. C3P1 says:

I mean there is a huge difference between driving someone into a turnbucke on iterference and literally running into them on a rush up ice. Maybe I have a bias because I’m american and I hate crosby on principle because of the olympics, but as I said below, 87 is out because of how poorly his concussion was managed.

25. C3P1 says:

bob mckenzie tweets:

GMs, BTW, overwhelmingly viewed Chara-Pacioretty as “hockey play” I’m told vote was 24-6 on it as a play that didn’t require discipline

26. oshawahabsfan says:

It was mismanaged no doubt, but the Steckel hit was the one that did more damage

27. JF says:

So in the opinion of all of them, it’s OK to use your arm to drive someone’s head into a metal stanchion at full speed.  God help the players and the game if that’s just a hockey play.

28. DearyLeary says:

What a bunch of malarkey.  The NHL set the standard with the Ovechkin suspension.  Reckless play that results in the injury of another player should result in a suspension.

29. C3P1 says:

fine, but it wasn’t intentional the way chara’s was. I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

30. jbroderi says:

Sather, Tambellini, Snow, Burke, Stan Bowman??(Mister I ride on dad’s coat tails and take the credit for Dale Tallon) Mike Gillis, former player agent, are just a few of the GM who are either out of touch with the game or just plain retarded.

I’m ok with the 6 out of 30 gms saying there needs to be punishment in the Chara incident, becuase that is just the NHL.  That is why there hasn’t been, or will be, meaningful change for a long time.  Most canadians would love a tax cut, but that doesn’t mean that the country will run more smoothly if the government does it.

The fact is, until we make players responsible for their actions, then we will have a very dangerous sport on our hands, needlessly dangerous, I might add.

All these new rules??  Who cares.. Just give guys stiffer suspensions.  Rule 48, in oder to be enforced, can’t give a guy a small 3 game suspension for targeting a head.  make it 10 to 12, and then Kubina and the rest of the league will take notice.  Having more rules won’t help, but strictly enforcing the ones we have with stiff suspensions will!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

31. sidhu says:

The Hilfiger Canadiens jerseys — don’t mess with a classic.  The white sash makes the Habs look like pageant contestants, not members of the greatest franchise in sports.

32. darcy1 says:

Bruce Boudreau says those that don’t like head hits should stay away from the game. Does that mean crosby should stay away too ?

——————-
    ”If you’ve only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It’ll seem like forever. ” Pat Foley (Blackhawks broadcaster)

33. sidhu says:

I wonder how many GM’s were hesitant to openly object to the NHL’s decision AFTER it was made.  It would have been better to ask them before the decision was reached, ‘what do you think should happen.’

In either case, I’m disappointed they didn’t have the guts to take a principled stand, even if it would make them look bad in the eyes of the league.

I wonder if all 6 were north of the border.

34. Lafrich says:

So, there were 6 guys that are GMs of NHL hockey teams that had an issue with it. Assuming the same rate, 120 out of 600 players think it is not a hockey play either. Is that not cause for concern????

35. Lafrich says:

Didn’t even think about the fact this was asked of the GMs post decision. Great point.

36. B says:

If the league is extraordinarily comfortable with their decision that it was just a hockey play, then why are the GMs voting on it? That just doesn’t sound like an extraordinary level of comfort to me.

Steckel made zero effort not to hit Crosby.  A person is responsible for their arm/elbow when skating.  Call it intentional or unintentional, he made his arm/elbow/shoulder hit crosby.  No puck in sight.  The Classic “Hockey Play”.

You are also correct however, that Pittsburgh completely mismanaged Crosby.  100% agree on that.

38. jbroderi says:

It is really simple.  It would only be a hockey play if the puck was in Pathces feet.  if that was the case, I agree that no suspension would be warranted.  Sure, Chara might have tried to do it, and may have been reckless, but the “hockey play” label would stick.  IT WAS A LATE, RECKLESS HIT.  The puck was no where around, it was a violent infraction that, intent or not, Chara has to be responsible for.  Geez, even 3 to 5 games would have been palatable.

Again, the fact that it was really late is what makes this a bigger issue, for me anyway!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

39. Lafrich says:

Perfectly put.

40. C3P1 says:

ok I see your point there. but its not ludicrous to call something that happens literally 50 times a game a hockey play; it is ludicrous to call something that has happened like ONCE a hockey play. thats my point.

41. habsruleworld says:

BOUDREAU Needs to take Gainey’s advice, just shut up and play,

you overfed pig at the trough(I added the last part, it felt good too)

Boudreau did not learn his lesson in the past, he tries to mouth off to create controversy, take the focus away from the game,

never works pudgy boy, HABS WIN!

I hear you, it just seems all these Hockey People have become so desensitized to how much needless contact/cheap shots are going on, and again with this equipment, these little shots like Steckles are not little.

The whole Chara hit, to me is reprehensible and I can’t believe people aside from Hab fans it seems, are so flippant about it.  Disgusts me.

Somehow I doubt Hilfiger was much of hockey fan.

44. habsruleworld says:

Axeman the exterminator executioner,

After all the BS Habs have suffered to the dirty bruins, it;s time for Habs to bring up ScHultz, Henry and whomever else for the playoffs if Habs meet Bruins and really kick the shiate out of those basterds.

Undoubtedly we beat them on the scoreboard quite resoundingly, although I really am convinced the organization will not allow the Bruins to take these type of liberties again, which I am positive they would try to do again, especially if they are loosing

Pouliot needs to skate by the ruins bench and biatch slap Julien’s face with the blade of his stick, SLAPSHOT STYLE.

Am I upset! you freeking right, time to settle a few hundred injustices.

Reminds me of an album I owned, ” Kille Em All , let God Sort Em Out”

45. larisalapointe says:

Totally gross, especially the Miss America sash. Why try to improve on perfection?

46. MathMan says:

I had high hopes, but apparently, someone is still going to die on the ice in the next few years.

47. habinypsi says:

BOUDREAU does this all the time, before a Tampa Washington game he told reporters that Stamkos and a few other players dive everytime any of the caps touch them, then the game comes around and the only divers are in Washington sweaters.  This guys makes Torterella look like a reasonable and well balanced person.

48. G-Man says:

Wasn’t it Spacek that negated Ovechkin’s trademark move?

Boudreau has an opinion? Who cares?

Tommy Hilfiger = hideous crap. Don’t quit your day job. No CH? What a tool.

49. Castor says:

Anyone actually going to the protest tonight?

50. wall2bay says:

Boudreau also thinks Egyptians and Libyans protestetors should leave their countries if they don’t where they’re at.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

51. wall2bay says:

Did he say the same crap when Cooke went knee on knee with Ovie?  Can’t blame Cooke for the speed of the game!

52. B says:

That’s what I thought when I read the comment (about shutting down Ovechkin’s favourite move).

53. G-Man says:

This proves that most GMs are idiots. No wonder they make brain-dead trades and go over the cap every year.

54. avatar_58 says:

Yes? Not even close to accidental.

I guess this means Bob Mckenzie can now take a firm stance on the hit and call it a hockey play with no suspension required.  He is such a blowhard that never actually takes a stand on anything.  A complete puppet to the NHL head office.

56. avatar_58 says:

If I lived there, I would. Someone go for me 😉

Tommy Hilfiger clothes are gawd-awful ugly. No surprise that their remake of the Habs jersey is atrocious.

I’d rather see the Habs jersey redesigned to be more modern, something like the Bulldogs jersey but with the CH on the front instead of the pit-bull.

58. HUDSONHAB says:

Sorry, had to repost this….

CAN WE GET BACK TO PLAYING,WATCHING, AND TALKING HOCKEY PLEASE?!?!?!!!

…Hab4life….

59. jbroderi says:

agreed.  we gave it a good week of discussion, but now I am starting to get the play-off feeling in my bones again.

F*ck Boston

F*ck Chara

F*ck, Milbury, Bettman, Murphy and Campbell

F*ck Kypreos, Doug MacLean and Queen Cherry

Go Habs Go!! We still got a good squad with a good system and hopefully can make some noise.

I am craving pork chops!  I think we should roast the little piggy Boudreau with a 5 1 victory tonight!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

60. avatar_58 says:

NO. I hate vertical stripes. Terrible. Look at edmonton. Yuck…..stick to the classics

61. CBrady12 says:

How far do you think Price can take us in the playoffs?

We have a very solid system that is hard to play against, but the biggest reason for the Habs success is goaltending.

If Price can be at the top of his game come playoffs, I think he can take us as far as last season if not further.

Needless to say hes been one of if not the best goalie in the NHL this season and I hope he can keep that level of play up in the playoffs.

The one thing I’m worried about is him becoming fatigued but hey, hes a THOROUGHBRED !! GO HABS!!

62. mrhabby says:

Price could be very busy tonight.

would be nice if the big dollar players step up…gionta, ak, cams, gomez. all around team effort and no passengers.

63. RetroMikey says:

That’s it!  Drop the friggin puck!  Move forward with this team than backwards!

Gonna be an exciting game!

We got to play with our speed and skill tonight againt a similar team in Washington.

We gotta win at home as well.  Arnott and Backstrom are out and take advantage of this as well.

I

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

64. OneTimer says:

The Habs’ red jersey truly is perfection.

65. OverseasFan says:

The Habs uniform is hideous.
    Remember the centennial horizontal striped shirts that made everyone look ridiculously wide, given how much more padding hockey players wear today?
    So Hilfilger has brought back the WORST of our uniforms and then added a sash.
    It’s like a beauty pagent queen gone horribly wrong.

So Murphy thinks the still shots and slow motion don’t apply.  I guess it never happened.  How can he not realize that slow motion is the detail of what happens in real time.

The article fails to mention what a successful Head Coach he was.  Oh i looked at his record in detail like slow motion that shouldn’t count.   The fact he coached is all that matters….

67. Danno says:

What the f— is wrong with Bruce F Boudrea? I thought he f—ing enjoyed f—ing freedom of f—ing speech?

So, why the f— does he not appreciate others having the right to it?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

68. longtimehabsfan says:

Just listened to clips of Bettman’s comments on Team 990.  I think he’s either delusional, in denial, or both.

69. V says:

Agree with those that are not too impressed with the Hilfinger Canadiens uni… not my cup of tea. But you have to admire the company we are keeping in that article. When you think of the iconic franchises in those four sports, those are the four teams that spring to mind.

Maybe the Canadiens uniform includes underwear with the Leaf logo in the back.

70. Propwash says:

He doesn’t care about nothing but his own pocketbook.

71. HUDSONHAB says:

Back in the day when you could use your farm team to call up players for specific games when you wanted to, this would be a good idea. Now however, there are call up rules and waivers. This makes it hard to make any such moves.

I am not sure exactly what the rules are but there is something about having only a number (4 perhaps?) of call ups after a certain date. I think I heard Burke bitchin about this one day.

….Hab4life….

72. SPATS says:

No mention of the history between the 2. Chara’s temper prominently on display after Max’s overtime winner and how he hunted Max down and was 3rd man in during the melee in Beantown. He even threw a suckerpunch on Max while he was tied up with the other player. Disgusting

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

73. Sakus Evil Twin says:

I wonder if a matching handbag and shoes were designed for that Habs uniform.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.