Back to Boston

BruinsLightning1
Boston has played two Game 6s in these playoffs.
They lost at the Bell Centre.
And they lost at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Dwayne Roloson is 7-0 career in elimination games. But he wasn’t spectacular.

Boston was held to 20 shots, only six in the third period (but two went in).

But the Bruins did manage their first power play goal on the road.

The Lightning PP was 3-for-4.

Game 7 on Friday night.

1. mrhabby says:

can the habs sign an enforcer to pound the crap out of horton or lucy…arghhh.

• TomNickle says:

I’d much rather bring Alexander Perezhogin back. Apologies for what I’m sure is incorrect spelling on his name.

• mrhabby says:

lol…after watching those two idiots. i want an animal on the habs for next season.

• TomNickle says:

I’ll settle for a guy who’ll treat Lucic’s chin like a softball perched on a tee. Lucic doesn’t like fair fights, so oblige him.

• mrhabby says:

iam desperate ..i want some revenge from that horrible beating we took from them..don’t care who it is. bruins have taken over the flyers spot as the dirtiest team me thinks.

2. TomNickle says:

What goalie in their right mind throws the puck up and tries to bat it out of the air with less than ten seconds to go in an elimination game in the Eastern Final? Roloson.

3. hansolo says:

Predictably, the gooning starts…sending a message, I guess

4. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Horton and Lucic after the game. go figure.

5. mike3131 says:

Obviously they had to goon SOMEBODY

6. punkster says:

There’s your cheap shots.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. 4m3y2j says:

This is not Lecavalier’s series…

8. 4m3y2j says:

I know the Bruins are in Rolosons head,they have to go with Smith for game 7…

9. issie74 says:

Marchand limps off,I hope it isin’t anything trivial.

10. tote-road says:

Great play by Teddy Purcell. Gets them an O-zone faceoff.

Ah yes, Teddy Purcell. Kind of a poor man’s Rich Peverly (Peverly being sort of a lesser Martin Gelinas).

11. zozotheclown says:

Roloson is really struggling out there, its painful to watch because his teammates are playing great hockey and sacrificing, and all the while he’s fighting the puck in there looking down right terrible.

12. TomNickle says:

The biggest problem with the 1-3-1. Every single defenseman that you throw on the ice must be capable of dealing with a heavy forecheck and must be able to make good coverage decisions and maintain excellent gap control in the process in order for your team to be sound defensively. Tampa is not deep enough to win a Cup with that system.

13. MathMan says:

Something just occured to me, isn’t that the fourth time the Bolts score five goals or more?

14. saskhabfan says:

This tampa attempt at lead protection looks awfully familiar.

15. Duracell3 says:

That has to be Krejci’s first hat trick ever

16. punkster says:

Hey Boone, if that one scares you you have to check this trailer for Troll Hunter. A Norwegian film. Reminds me of a game night on HI/O.
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

17. mrhabby says:

greg campbell such an impact player.

18. Propwash says:

The jawing begins….

19. mrhabby says:

hey cam neely how you like them bolts…boyoooo.

20. punkster says:

The Marty Show! Best game I’ve seen him play and we’ve all seen him play some great ones. And he’s…small. Go figure.

…aaaand, here comes the Boston buffoonery.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

21. mike3131 says:

I know he had no chance on it, but that’s how you beat Thomas… with patience. Just wait for him to take himself out of the play and you have a wide open net.

22. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Great play by Downie. Boucher has really got him to turn his game around.

23. kempie says:

OVER

Cue the idiot show.

24. Everlasting1 says:

Wow. That goal was a thing of beauty.

——————————————————————-
    ” That the Sons of God saw the daughters of man, that they were fair and took them wives all of which they chose.” – Genesis 6:2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

25. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Phew!

26. Propwash says:

MSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Crap!! C’mon Bolts, don’t blow this!!!

28. hansolo says:

Why can St. Louis and Gio (both smurfs) go to the net and Pouliot can’t?

• Propwash says:

Pouliot usually winds up on his belly after crossing the blueline.

• Bugs says:

Poolio is the only guy on the team who doesn’t “go to the net”?
      Cammy goes to the net, Gomie goes to the net, Moen goes to the net…everyone’s goin to the net except him!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

29. Bugs says:

Please premit me to nip sumpin in da bud: Afore any’o’yehs start to castigate Bolter fans for copyin our Olé chant, let the mandate now state that if ANY team is entitled to use it, it’s them, what with their success being borne by our blood and all. (and no, I don’t mean cuz of THIS year; do some homework, observe the annals, peruse the Saga…and YES, I said “borne”)
    The Ste-Flannelle and the Bolters. That’s it. …
    Oh, and the Nords too. Whenever they get their club. What, three years? Four? That sound about right?
    Whatever, point is, little cousin Tamper’s cool, so we lay off and…uhh.., yeah, that’s it.
    Peace.
    (Edit:) But anyone ELSE uses the Olé chant, they’re a bunch’o’copycat scumbag rat bastiches; make no mistake about THAT.
    Aw’ight, I’m out.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

30. Everlasting1 says:

The Bolts really laying the hits in this one, as the Bruins pay for theirs..rightfully so, and about friggin time.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

31. kempie says:

Where does Neely buy those sharp looking suits? Those shots of him are priceless!

32. Propwash says:

Jello in an earthquake personified.

33. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Watch for the dirt-bag Bruins to start with the cheapshots. They’ll want to take out as many Bolts as they can for game 7.

34. mike3131 says:

STAMMER!!!

I hate the Bruins so much.

36. Everlasting1 says:

What a potent pp in Tampa.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

37. Being from michigan,Wiz will replace Rafalski in Detroit.I’m hoping anywhere but the East.

38. sidhu says:

Subbie quotes Oprah… way to give ‘em fodder for trash-talking already, PK.

Cammy, Entourage hasn’t been good for a few seasons now!

39. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ference is a total dirt-bag. just like Horton, Marchand, Lurch and Lucy.

40. doug19 says:

Wow who is that player for the Lightening Bergeron. He is great. Well not quite as great as Higgins and Lapierre for Vancouver! They have speed muscle and size Habs could have used.

• Propwash says:

Yeah, have you seen him play defense tho?

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Higgins and Lappiere suck. They sucked for the Habs and they still suck.

• Mike Boone says:

Oh yeah, Higgins and Lapierre have great size. And the Canadiens never gave them a chance, right?

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• HardHabits says:

Higgins and Lapierre are giants by Habs standards.

As for chances, if the Habs had drafted the Sedins they’d have traded them away after 3 seasons.

• Mark C says:

Just like they did with Price, right?

• Old Bald Bird says:

Hold on! Are you going to lobby for keeping Gomez til the bitter end?

Seriously. I never had much of a problem with Higgins. We tended to expect/want more than he has — as with AK.

Laps seemed to more or less choose to walk. Not that I blame him completely.

— formerly notbigbird –

• HardHabits says:

The Habs didn’t draft Gomez.

As per AK, he is over-paid but the real issue with AK is the Habs could have picked him in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd round. Choosing AK 10th over-all in that deep 2003 draft is worse than the Wickenheiser pick.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Plus!… If we didn’t have Andrei we never would have drafted Sergei, then we would still have Grabovski, and we never would have traded for Gomez, which means Cammi, Geo, Spacek, and Hal Gill never would have signed here and we would have finished last in 2009-2010 and picked Taylor Hall. In conclusion, picking AK46 instead of Zach Parise is the reason we are stuck with Jaro Spacek.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• pat s says:

completely agree with HardHabits-

drafting Ak was the biggest joke of the draft that year and we are still paying for it

41. doug19 says:

It is amazing Boston has done so well with O ZIP power play.

42. doug19 says:

If Canucks play very much like they did in the third period of game 2
    won 7-3 neither Tampa or Boston will succeed. The one problem will be American biased officiating.

43. Propwash says:

M.S.L coming up big.

44. _Habsoloutly_ says:

wow, Seguin should have got one for embellishing. That was just embarassing.

45. Propwash says:

Wait a sec……..Did the CBC broadcast the Nucks game last night?

46. Muckbringer says:

this is true…carey will win more cups than thomas….

i tend to side with the obvious

47. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Does Bettman have any kids that play hockey?? If so, maybe we should draft him.

Vancouver better get ready to play the dirtiest series of their lives. Somebody needs to take out Chara, plain and simple. A Bobby Clarke classic should do the trick.

I normally don’t support this type of tactic but when the league is intent on fixing this thing a clear message needs to be sent to the corrupt NHL head office.

49. hansolo says:

MAB made…a good play!!

50. Bugs says:

Stamkos faking a stick to the face like Hamrlik on that goal…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

51. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Another blatant non-call for Boston leads to a goal.

52. Propwash says:

Oh snap……

53. Clay says:

Teddy Purcell’s play is making me a fan of Teddy Purcell…

__________________________
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

54. Toe Blake says:

This blog lacks the size and grit needed to be taken seriously!

55. slamtherimtim says:

dont matter who wins , vancouver will finallylow someone out ,

lets go habs south

56. Keith says:

Well that was fast! WOOOOOOOO!!!

57. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wow, Purcell is a playoff stud.

58. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Let’s go Bolts! Big game. Gonna hurt them having Bergenheim out.

59. bwoar says:

@ _Habsoloutly_ : Players will not hate Winnipeg like you pretend. Certainly nothing like you’re thinking.

For fun, here’s a good example: Thomas Steen not only stayed, but became an elected politician. We used to see the infant Alex Steen at Bomber games – he didn’t run from the supposed swarm of 10-tonne mosquitoes and broken-bottle slashers.

Most people I met in MTL have never set foot west of Toronto, so I’m not surprised at the ignorance. I trust you won’t die of shock when you learn that players actually like it here.

• HalifaxHabs says:

lol, I love that you are so passionate about your city, I feel the same way about mine.

I’m also going to be very happy for Winnipeg, and all it’s hockey fans.

but, I think a reality for the Winnipeg team, is there are going to be some NHL players(not all), who don’t love the city the way you do.

I know it sucks, but it’s going to be one of those things you may have to deal with now that you’re going to be back in the NHL and all it’s drama and politics.

ps: wtf is up with your profile pic, I love it!!!!

• JD_ says:

Little-known fact that the only reason Winnipeg was granted a WHA franchise in December 1971 was that Edmonton Oilers’ owner, Bill Hunter, had specifically requested the league create an incentive for players to actually want to play in Edmonton.

The More You Know ⃰

• ManApart says:

I’ve been to Winnipeg and I have a feeling it’s most likely the last city in the league, most players would want to play. The only exception is if they were born around that area. I mean Phoenix, NY, LA, Dallas, TBay, Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary (where I lived for a # of years) Boston, Chicago, California teams, my personal favorite Nashville. Who would be happy to hear they have to live in Winnipeg, out of all those cities.?

• Duracell3 says:

I’d take the Winnipeg over Dallas, Phoenix, maybe LA and Chicago, and Nashville. But then I hate air pollution, the heat, and the majority of US Southerners.

• Clay says:

Seconded
          __________________________

• TomNickle says:

I think it’s safe to assume that you’ve never been to Phoenix, LA, Chicago or Nashville. This is a matter of personal taste, and there are certain areas of Los Angeles and Chicago where you wouldn’t want to live, however, if Winnipeg is going to be considered among those others, Dallas is the only one on that list that the majority of people who’ve been to all of them would refuse in favour of Winnipeg.

• solomio says:

Not me bwoar. Lived in the ‘peg a whole summer. Seemed like a lifetime no matter how much I drank. Pestilence to say the least.
      Didn’t have the cash to make it all the way to Vcr, unfortunately.
      I have heard that it is a prerry good place once you break into a clique or circle of friends should I say.
      In any event wouldn’t recommend that place to anybody.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

LMAO. Ok, everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I guess we’ll see how it works out.

60. Habfan10912 says:

My first post but I’ve been an avid reader of HIO. I cannot root for the Bruins. I hope Tampa comes out and utilizes their speed especially in Boston’s zone. Go Bolts!

61. Sean Bonjovi says:

Jim Hughson’s mouthing off right now on Bob McCown’s show. He said something like ‘[western teams beat eastern teams for fun]“. He also said any western conference champion should easily beat any eastern conf. champ and he cited they West’s “57 game over .500″ record v. the east. He also thinks the Bruins play the same style as San Jose. I’m off to research Vancouver’s record v. the eastern conference, and the East v. West records.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• Sean Bonjovi says:

- Western conf. teams had a combined record v. East of:
      142-88-40 – 54 games over .500 (close enough to 57)
      so the east was 54 games under .500 right?
      – Eastern conf. teams had a combined record v. West of:
      128-107-35 – 21 games over .500

Western teams beat eastern teams more often than the reverse, however the statement “The west was 54 games over .500 v. the east” is misleading with regards to the scale of the discrepancy in the quality of teams in either conference.

How did the Vancouver Canucks performe v. the Easter conference in 2010-2011?
      – The Canucks were 11-5-2 v. eastern conference teams. Wow! Start carving their names on the cup, unless they meet an eastern conference playoff team in the final. The Canucks were 9-0-0 v. the bottom seven teams in the east and 2-5-2 v. east teams that made the playoffs.

That the NHL’s western conference is significantly better than the NHL’s eastern conference is not fact. It is an assertion that must be argued.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• Sean Bonjovi says:

There is an argument to be made for the superiority of the western conference using these numbers, but I’m not going to make it.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

62. Bugs says:

Radical change of subject if you’ll permit me. Techies, listen up: hadn’t used my all-in-one printer/scanner (Canon Pixma MP450 if it matters) in over a year cuz the ink ran out and I didn’t bother to replace it since I could get all that jazz done at work.
    So I go to Bureau en Gros today and pick up 56 bucks worth of ink. I get back home, press the “On” button of the scanner…(you see where this is going?)…the LCD comes on a fraction of a second then promptly goes out. Nuthin. Click-click-click…nuthin.
    Unplug, replug, re-install entire setup…nuthin.
    Is it dead? It’s barely 4 years old; please don’t tell me it’s dead. OMG, is it dead???

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• A. Berke says:

Bugsy,

the following is advised:
      1. check your manual if not you can go online for Canon help
      2. Do a deep clean (you have to give the command for it through yr computer,
      3. Soak the intakes of the printer with a Q-tip dipped into Windex
      4. If all fails call Canon help line 1-800-my canon (they’re pretty good)
      5. and a small advice, print a colour page once every two weeks just to get the inks flowing because when the heads go dry it may be difficult to revive the printer again.
      Good luck and Go ‘Nucks for this year so that Lord Stanley’s Cup comes home.
      Cheers,
      Ali B.

Ali B.

• Bugs says:

Oh no, it was dead alright.
        Called Canon and buddy confirmed what I already knew. He added that 4-5 years is the average lifespan of those machines. (Curiously, no manufacturer wants to make a product that lasts forever…)
        Brought my cartridges back to Bureau en Gros, got credit, and bought whole new machine…on sale! All in all, few bucks extra on the cartrdige deal, brand spankin new thing.
        (sigh)
        Still a pisser though…
        Appreciate your troubleshootin however, Ali; much obliged.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Propwash says:

Yeah Bugs, best to purge the printer every once in awhile so your jets don’t clog up.

• GUNKA DIN says:

Of course for the fifty bux, ya can buy a new printer, ink included. Get a Brother for 49.95 and relax.

Nobody is ever gonna beat Henri Richard’s record for Cup rings.

• Propwash says:

Purging takes a tiny amount of ink.

• Bugs says:

Used to purge but hadn’t in about a year. Got a look at the manual too; turns out it was made in 2005, so all in all, I guess I can’t complain.
            New one is sleeker and blacker and super-cool and you just KNOW Batman has it too.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

63. shiram says:

RDS reporting Thrashers to the Peg as a done deal, everyone take out your grain of salt, and wait for the official word!

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Let’s hope the american economy stays in the toilet and the Canadian dollar stays high. Because if it drops the same thing will happen to the peg as happened before. I bet there are tons of NHL players just giddy with the thought of having to live in the peg.

• shiram says:

Average salary in the nhl is upwards of 2 million I think, so they can buy pretty cool winter coats, as far as I am concerned….

• olegpetrov says:

actually, the salary cap era will ensure that this does not happen in a canadian market. As for your comment about winnipeg…have you ever been there? It is a beautiful city and the winters are amazing.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• HalifaxHabs says:

I’ve lived there, and it’s terrible. The winters are ridiculously cold, and last way too long. It has lots of other issues besides weather, but my point isn’t the city… the point is, any player who is making millions of dollars to play hockey, and is whining about the city they have to live in 9 or 10 months/year in order to make those millions, is way out of touch with reality, and comes across like a jackass.

I know a lot of people use the old “players make millions shouldn’t whine” argument for lots of things, and I don’t always agree with that argument… but this is the perfect case for it…

oh boo-hoo, you have to live in Winnipeg to become a millionaire playing hockey at the highest level

• bwoar says:

Cold long winters are great for hockey, mind you.

Taxes are less here than in the Middle East (that’s YOU, Upper/Lower Canada). It’s less crowded and the pace is slower. That’s not for everyone, but for raising a family it’s terrific. Having lived both places there’s a lot to recommend about either city.

I think folks ought to consider how many hockey players come from small places, and how that slower pace of life can often be preferable if that’s what you grew up with.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yes, the players are rich spoiled brats. That being said, it doesn’t change reality. and reality is free agents are not gonna want to go to the peg, and any talented prospects that get drafted will want to leave as soon as they can. I’m not saying it’s right, it’s just they way the world works. It would be wonderful if we lived in a world full of honest, trustworthy people with integrity, but we don’t. and since we don’t, I refuse to spend my time daydreaming about what it would be like if we did.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I have a few friends who live there and they say it sucks. The winters are amazing huh? hahahahaha

• ManApart says:

You have friends lol?

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yes, I’m not a pathetic pos loser like you. Have you moved out of your parents place yet?

• olegpetrov says:

well your friends should leave. i lived there for 8 years. only reason i left is because of school. the city is amazing. there is so much culture and so much going on all the time. the best festivals are there (folkfest). lots of hockey players would be surprised at how much the city has to offer. as for the cold…..GET OVER IT. the winters are NOT that bad. people who can’t handle the winter or whine about it are babies.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• HardHabits says:

I’ve been to Winnipeg. Driving around town left me with a reverse form of vertigo. There are no vistas. It’s all flat. No up, no down. Felt like a rat going through a maze.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

lol. and in the winter it’s like being a rat in a maze of frozen tundra.

• bwoar says:

HH you did it wrong – no one drives through the Peg, there’s a perimeter highway to allow the world to drive right around it very efficiently. True story!

And honestly, who needs vistas…. in a city chock full of Scandinavian and Eastern European-blooded women there are ample peaks and valleys, ya dig?

• HabsFan2 says:

You think that’s bad. Take the TC through Saskatchewan.

Borrring!

———————————————-
            RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• LA Loyalist says:

It’s the wives, man. Of course Atlanta is a dump (yeah I’ve been there) but Winnipeg is cold and has those bear-sized mosquitoes…

• Sharks9 says:

Darren Dreger says not done.

25 before 14

64. nek25plus says:

Hey, anyone ask Ray Ferraro if he now wears Maxim Lapierre pajamas! LOL…must be killing him to see that nasty Max smile each game…and playing on his favorite team!

Some good quotes from this Bleacher Report article. Funny how Berkshire, SF09 and Bugs dismiss this article’s premise because it comes from the Bleacher Report. What’s even funnier is 2 are bloggers and the other is a wannabe blogger. Even though I don’t agree with the conclusion, that an enforcer is needed, (my view is that over-all team toughness, size and grit are needed, not just one enforcer) I recommend taking a look at all the video to see why the Habs are considered to be one of the softest teams if not the softest team in the NHL.

The problem with letting the rulebook do a team’s fighting is that it doesn’t stop the players from being hurt, and it doesn’t prevent players from doing this again in the future.

No player wants to be playing a game in which he constantly has to worry about getting hit hard, but without an enforcer, that’s exactly what a team will play like.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Size and grit. Size and grit. Size and grit.

Do you know any other tunes?

• HabsFan2 says:

“It seems that anyone can do whatever they want to the Canadiens, because they know there will be no response.

Especially when it comes to Bettman or Campbell.

———————————————-
      RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• punkster says:

Rant on!
      Funny how you cling to the article’s premise as being a shining example of the truth. Why, because it comes from a blog?
      Dirty hits like Chara on Pacioretty isn’t hockey. It’s trash. Hits from behind as seen in 3 of those videos isn’t hockey. It’s trash. Fights like the Bruins goons picking on Habs non-fighters isn’t hockey. It’s trash.
      If you believe that overall team toughness, size and grit would have stopped any of those incidents from happening you’re dreaming.

People continue to delude themselves into believing these 3 elements would solve all our problems, make other teams back off, put the fear of God into the opposition and make them quail and shudder in our presence. Have a good look at those videos again HH. Who are the instigators of these incidents? Some of the sleaziest, scum-of-the-earth players in the league. And just how do you think having additional toughness, size and grit will make them cease and desist in their flagrant violation of the rules of hockey when playing the Habs?

Yes, we need additional toughness, size and grit. Every single team in the league can use more. However, what we need more of now, first and foremost and without any question across the board, is scoring. If they come in giant size, meat-headed, fists of thunder, all the better. But they better damn well be scorers.

Take your trash hockey and shove it where the puck don’t fit.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• bwoar says:

Trash hockey is sanctioned by the NHL and the PA. It’s simply mainstream hockey without reasonable protection for those who play it, from those who mostly don’t. How are you going change that by ignoring it?

Bob Gainey was absolutely right. I think he and Ken Dryden would essentially agree on the game and the trash element. But Dryden wrote a great book and in it put some of those thoughts on paper, Bob Gainey built a real NHL team, one that gets worked over a lot. A team that can’t push back with either scoring or fisticuffs. Hard to cheer for unless you’re a die hard. Which we are, I guess.

Folks, I was a purist too for a long time. I relinquished my love affair for the Scotty Stevens highlight reel long ago. But after the NHL ignored Chara’s intentional destruction on Pacioretty, I gave up on this issue. When you have to turn the TV off to prevent your children from seeing the results of a ‘hockey play’, something is badly wrong in the NHL. So, if the ability to push back brings with it some level of trash, amen. Until the game is willing to police itself, casting the CH as the paragons of skilled, no-trash hockey is a losing strategy.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Bob Gainey went out and signed one of the toughest enforcers in the NHL. Unfortunately he had a wonky back and a “code” nobody new about.

• HardHabits says:

Not too mention he discovered Buddha, studied the works of Gandhi, and became a vegan, an animal rights activist and a pacifist.

• LA Loyalist says:

We have to play in the league as it is, not as we’d like it to be.

Letting the NHL protect our players is like letting the United Nations protect little countries – a joke.

Wayne Gretzy had bodyguards his entire career, yeah he had eyes in the back of his head but he had Semenko and McSorley to send mesages.

And if we are going to stay small and soft we are going to keep losing. Sorry, I don’t like it either but that is the truth.

We can deter the rough stuff with a killer power play which hopefully we will have again next season after taking a couple of years off, but in the end, we are too soft as is.

• Mark C says:

Montreal finished 2nd and 7th in PP% in the last two seasons. You need a fact checker LA. And ask Crosby and Savard how they’re bodyguards saved them.

• LA Loyalist says:

are we playing tonight? I rest my case. We’re not good enough 5 on 5 or on special teams.

It’s 2 separate things. Team toughness, and nuclear deterence. We have neither. And Gainey bringing in Laraque proves he knew it, too.

That BGL wasn’t the right guy at the time doesn’t make Gainey wrong.

• Mark C says:

Not playing tonight has nothing to do with the fact that Montreal’s PP has rocked in the past few years.

I’m all for more team toughness, but there is no proof that this idea of a “nuclear deterrence” is anything more than a bunch of bunk. Rupp was dressed when Hedman hit Crosby. Rupp, Engelland, and Asham were dressed vs. the Caps. Savard and Bergeron have had Chara and Thornton protect them, has it worked?

Dr. Strangelove was a more effective nuclear deterrent.

• solomio says:

The thing is..Spacek turtled, the other guy bent over and got his face smashed by an elbow pad etc., etc., At least Pouliot tko’d Kreji. And most players would think twice about taking on the Wiz. God I hope the sign that guy.You don;t need behemoths and bruisers… just kids who know how to and can drop the gloves without getting embarrased and who will fight to protect their goalie and their team mates. Oh yeah and they have to be bigger than 5’7 and 180 pounds.Thats not asking too much. Most Canadian players can do and be that and be talented at the same time.

• bwoar says:

The premise of the article is totally wrong, enforcers don’t exactly prevent these hits. Now, I agree with this:

But at the same time most of those plays will happen whether or not an enforcer is on the team. Only Lucic, who was scared of BGL comes to mind as an example. But an enforcer on the team doesn’t prevent dirty plays, he’s just there to fight the other team’s enforcer 99% of the time. Pointless.

At the same time the CH is far more desperate for goals than protection. Teams with top 5 PP stats DO use the rulebook to great effect. The fly in the ointment, in practical terms, is that you can’t count on refs to do their jobs well game in and game out, so you need a mix of a hot PP and some decent bruisers to counter the players that the NHLPA and NHL head office don’t seem to want to banish from the league. If you can’t beat a Clifford or Carcillo, you ought to get one. I hate that. I hate that it’s true. But I don’t hate acting on the truth.

To be clear then, I think that you need BOTH a strong PP and 4-5 guys from your 12/6 regulars who can bang hard. It doesn’t have to be Chara goon tactics, but what teams are Gionta and Plekanec gonna wear down on the forecheck? None, and that’s not good.

Pyatt? Dawes? Engqvist? DD? Etc.? Bupkis. So ya gotta play the only game that’s there, not the one you think it should be. It’s like the Habs want to sell you just hybrids when the market demands Ford F-150s all day long no matter the price of gas. You’ll have a few nice days but the other guys will eat your lunch.

This is actually one of the better things I’ve ever read on Bleacher Report, far above their average quality in fact.

• LA Loyalist says:

And where do goals come from? Two places, either your skill guys having room to create, or chaos in front of the net and you bang it in.

Toughness complements the skill, and toughness creates chaos in front of the net creates opportunities. Protection and goals can’t be separated from each other.

• DearyLeary says:

Who’s enforcing on the Canucks? The Lightning? The Red Wings? Penguins?

The enforcer is a dated concept that has absolutely no effectiveness in the game today.

• HardHabits says:

Your reply is another example of a person who either skirts the issue or doesn’t know how to read. If this was a book report you’d fail.

Team toughness is enforcing those teams hence the caveat my view is that over-all team toughness, size and grit are needed, not just one enforcer.

I said I don’t agree with the conclusion, that an enforcer is needed, however the premises are correct.

• ManApart says:

I didn’t read the article, but whatever Berkshire and Seriousfan think, there is a huge chance that the opposite is true. For two people that follow hockey so closely, I’ve never seen such bad insight. Not that they’re dumb, it’s just they let their emotions, rather than reason, dictate their reality. Basically everything Habs is great, everything not Habs sucks. As we can obviously see, making that the foundation of your insights will obviously lead to fantasy land, where they both reside.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

As opposed to your views that dictate everything Habs sucks, every other hockey team great.

• saskhabfan says:

As opposed to your opinion everything not habs is great and the habs suck? This coming from the guy if your right/wrong ratio was recorded as wins and losses it would be worse then the 74/75 capitals. Please tell us again that injuries are not an excuse for the habs but are an excuse for halak and his poor season in st.louis. That alone shows where you stand in the HIO food chain. You can’t even breath the same air as the berkshires and sf09’s on this site. I alone have proved you wrong endless times,most often using the words from your very own posts. Which i have to admit it alot of fun to do,but not very challenging.

• ManApart says:

Unlike you’re ignorant posts, I called everything that happened this season a year in advance, as well as lauding what Boucher and Yzerman would do and calling the “nucks for the Cup. Everything I say, people pick up on like a year later, when it turns out to be true. You may not want to admit it, but people like you can’t touch me, when it comes to insight or just plain intelligence for that matter. Just a narrow minded Donkey from Sask.

• olematelot says:

Actually 09 and Berkshire are 2 of the most knowledgeable posters on here, what they post is actual fact and well thought out unlike your totally useless ramblings

• saskhabfan says:

LMAO no kidding. Manaphart actually posted here these exact words ” i feel i know more about hockey then most”. When i read that i virtually spat out my drink about 20 feet from laughing so hard.

• ManApart says:

Lol, ok there. I could right a book showing how many times those guys were way off on their POVs. Especially with SF, I mean it’s unbelievable how many times he disagreed with me and was shown to be wrong. Berkshire just exaggerates everything and twists true events around, hoping you don’t remember what really happened. I never have seen such an inaccurate recollection of events as he puts them. He also will take a particular POV and some months later take the exact opposite view. He is inconsistent in his views, just likes to argue. Obviousy, you haven’t noticed this, so I have to assume your insight is even on a lower scale than theirs are.

66. HabsFanInTampa says:

C’mon Bolts, force a game 7!!! Let the “Choke” mental head games seep into those Bruins’ neanderathal minds.

67. HabsFan2 says:

Posted this on the other thread. May as well do it here.

Edit: Never mind. It’s been posted already.

———————————————-
    RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• habsfansince91 says:

lol he signed up 3 hours ago and already has almost 14,000 people following him

• HabsFan2 says:

I wonder if Mike Richards is one of those followers? lol

———————————————-
        RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Paul Biz Nasty made reference to that in a tweet. He said something like “hey PK Subban, Mike Richards is also on Twitter, you should make him a follower. #Awkward”

Gotta love Biz Nasty.

• HabsFan2 says:

Lol

What’s Richards’ handle…
            @R-E-S-P-E-C-T1?

———————————————-
            RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

68. JayBee says:

This will go to a game 7. Boston will win.

Hopefully the Canucks embarass them in 4 games.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

Things I am hoping for in decreasing order of desirability:

1. Tampa win the next two games.

2. Tampa win tonight to force the Bruins to 7 – help out Van.

3. Tampa lose but Chara, Marchand, Horton and Lucic all suffer minor injuries severe enough to keep them out for 3 weeks.*

* #3 was just a joke.**

** In reality I hope Chara’s injury lasts longer.***

*** I don’t really wish injury on anyone.****

**** Well, except Chara.

70. G-Man says:

Buck Foston- may they lose in perpetuity.

71. joshua94k says:

Happy 25th Anniversary to the 86 Habs! A great achievement by an amazing group of players: Robinson, Chelios, Ludwig, Green, Skrudland, Lemieux, Naslund, Smith, Gainey, Carbonneau, Nilan, Walter, McPhee, Tremblay and young Richer and Roy etc.

I was in the graduating year of high school that year and had the last word to classmates who were fans of the Islanders, Oilers, Bruins and who never had anything positive to say about the Canadiens.

• mrhabby says:

i was at the cup parade that afternoon and fan celebration at the old forum when players were intruduced at night. a sureal moment and one i will never forget.

ps..lots of cars burned the night before..lol.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

What a great time that was in May 1986! I went to the parade and shook hands with rookie Patrick Roy when his float rolled by. It was a gorgeous, sunny 80 degree day. It was to be my last parade. I was already in the USA for the 1993 miracle run.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I was at that parade too. Was Claude Lemieux ever wasted!

• mrhabby says:

very cool habsfan on shaking Roys hand what a great moment . i remember it so clearly like it was yesterday so many happy people and players. when i was a kid i always wanted to experience a cup parade ..i got my wish. the team had a great mix of players but roy was on fire as u know. i lived in montreal that year and saw many games at the forum. Roy was unreal.

• LA Loyalist says:

Thank you. You made my day.

72. Hobie Hansen says:

So is Barnaby’s TV career over ?

73. Malreg says:

For all the twitter users out there, PK is now on Twitter. @PKSubban1.

Biz Nasty had a nice line about it:
    BizNasty2point0 Paul Bissonnette
    Hey @PKsubban1, Mike Richards aka @Mrichards18 is on twitter also. Give him a follow. #Awkward