Canadiens stink out home opener

Moss-Price

It started festive … but that didn’t last.
The Flames outhustled a listless home team and romped to a dismayingly easy win.

Bad D.

Popgun power play.

30-plus shots and one goal to show for them.

Nowhere to go but up.

1. rogieshan says:

Enough with all the longing for Roman Hamrlik – he is not a difference maker. This is about the Martin’s antiquated system.

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ll give it another 5 games before I panic

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

3. habstrinifan says:

So when is the next game. Hope it’s tomorrow. Please no more ‘extended’ off period practising “sh&%%$%%^ ALL” under JM at Brossard!

4. vic says:

I hold Martin responsible for the team comming out flat.
    Does he inspire players with is lousey system.
    The only reason we got in the playoffs the last two years were the goalies. Not coaching,

5. phillyhab says:

Well, let’s look at the positives:

6. dre1744 says:

Cole had 6 hits!!!!!!!!

• deuce6 says:

Where? He fell down 3 times trying to get the puck out before getting scored on…If you count both knees HITTING the ice, then yea, I agree…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

7. slapshot777 says:

One of the worst games I seen them play in awhile. If the Habs game is skating with precision passing, then neither was showcased tonight. I’ve seen better plays from a pee wee team.

The shots may have been thirty something but a lot of those shots were just wrist shots from the perimeter. I could have stopped those and I’m not a goaltender. I doubt Kipper even broke a sweat.

If the Habs to a man are pleased with this kind of effort, then they should start looking for another profession. I know it all starts from the back end, but tonight from the goalie out looked like they were in a daze.

Price looked week, the defense from skating to passing could do f**k all. When the D did manage to get a pass off the forwards couldn’t handle it. They played the puck as if it was a grenade. Cole better play better hockey then what I’ve seen tonight.

He looked tired, weak on the puck, definitely not the player you want carrying the puck into the zone. Subban trying to do way too much and ends up doing nothing. Desharnais better skate or he might as well go back to Hamilton, without his speed he cannot contribute nothing.

I know I have named a few players, but the team completely sucked as a unit. Best player for the Habs tonight if there was one was Pleks.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

8. Lafrich says:

And that is why ticket prices should be dropped.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree
      that is why I won’t spend the crazy bucks on them anymore….for games just like that. TV is way better to watch it anyway. You can buy a 50 tv and watch the game for the same price as a pair of tickets

9. theflower says:

So once again watching from Spain, it’s 4:30 am and I have to wonder what made me stay up this late to watch us play like Jackie Martin, slow, dumb, listless and stupid! Wow, I guess we did not want to play tonight, just watch Calgary play, nice….I hope the Molson’s of new want to be like the Molson’s of old and say in 10 games if we are still crap, Jackie Martin and his not ready for primetime players can hit the road. Apparently his intermission speeches aren’t even listened to anymore, because nobody seemed to care and few came to play. Anybody on here who keeps talking about Gomez going to be better this year, ya right, I hated the deal from day one and still stand by that. This guy is done send him to the minors please if you can’t trade him.

10. Muckbringer says:

who else could use a good laugh?

friggn hartnell….

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.

Nelson Mandela

11. gumper says:

Couple of observations.
    1. Next year might be a good idea to spend at least some of the pre-season getting ready for the real season. You lose a lot of ground using the first ten games to “gel”.
    2. This defence just isn’t NHL calibre.
    3.Gill -2, Pleks, Gio, Subban, Cole -1. Only Pleks gets a pass IMO since he spent most of the night on the PK. Gill and Cole were godawful.
    4. I think I need a new hobby.

12. HNS says:

JM is on borrowed time.

• theflower says:

I really want to believe that, I really do, but….I can only hope the new Molson’s don’t want their image tarnished by this buffoon and want to be like the old Molson’s who won all the cups. If they do, there is hope, if not well…….Jackie Martin and his band of lost souls will still be here next year.

13. jimmyjams says:

Well I guess the one plus is we got through a game without someone getting injured…

14. habpunk says:

this team makes me cry!
    maybe Phoenix will move here, so we can get an NHL team.

15. RS says:

Roman Hamrlik played 21:07 tonight for the Caps. Do you think we could trade Gill and Gionta for Hamr?

16. rogieshan says:

As I said after the Winnipeg game, Moen just had his one and only offensive outburst for the year.

This baby formula is way past its best-before-due date.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, watching this game, and listening to the Calgary SportsNet play-by-play was like watching paint dry
    …but was impressed how the play-by-play guys were respectful to Our Habs, Our Fans and the atmosphere in the Bell Centre
    …always respectful and admiring

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

18. deuce6 says:

3 games..2 losses…Lay 2 eggs..

We let Muller and Boucher go for this twerp? Never liked JM since he was hired…How he is still employed by the Montreal Canadiens is beyond me….

Our special teams suck..That is a coaching problem..and for the love of god, get Plex off the point on the PP….We need his skill down low..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Muckbringer says:

bring the nords back and let habs hockey be what it was meant to be!

Nelson Mandela

• theflower says:

Don’t get me started on Jackie Martin, between him and Mario Tremblay I don’t which one I would punch harder when I saw them. Talk about destroying our franchise with these inept guys. It sickens me to know Muller and Boucher are gone!

• Mark C says:

Guy’s team lost 5-1 to a crap team, why would he be better?

• theflower says:

Jackie Martin has not won anything in a long and very mediocre career, with some very talented teams. Guy Boucher has a history of winning and will continue to win at this level too. If Jackie Martin had ever amounted to anything more than average or less over all of his years of coaching then maybe there would be a reason to be optimistic, but let’s be honest, he has lost the room, his tactics do not work, his style of hockey is boring and at the end of the day he has nothing to show for it. Is that the guy you want leading you into battle every night? Not me. At least Boucher has some fire, some creativity and innovative methods of teaching, what does Jackie have? I’ll bet you right here Mark C, Boucher wins a cup before Jackie wanna bet?

19. Fabio D says:

I’ve seen this movie before. Same old uninspired passionless play. No fire, no jump, dinosaurs playing out the ends of their careers. A coaching change is needed. Someone with fire. God help me but I’ve got to say it…… bring back Michel Therrien….

20. naweed235 says:

another 10 games like this and hopefully the owners realize that the only person behind the bench who was keeping the team rolling is now coaching somewhere in the juniors… Maybe they’ll hire Muller? not likely…
    Also is this Ahole Bourque becoming the new Cole of the Habs… seems like every time we plat CGY he scores atleast a couple…

21. cheezboie says:

Glad I didn’t pay over a hundred bucks for a beer and ticket to this one – Even our stars (PK, Gio, Price etc…) stunk it up. I can’t handle too much more of Martin’s passivity.

Different year, same problems – Gauthier/Martin/Gomez/Kostitsyn/Spacek

22. rogieshan says:

Is it wrong to question Gionta’s lack of discipline and leadership for this mess tonight?

23. RS says:

Gill was brutal. Gionta helped dig a hole with his two first period penalties (Darche got a bad call).

Engqvist is way down the list when looking at the problem tonight.

24. Gerry H says:

Bag skate.

Brutal, endless bag skate.

Disgraceful.

25. durocher says:

ZEROES: Gio, Gomez, Gill, Cole
    HEROES: AK46, Pleks, Eller

An embarrassment. Plain and simple. The theory that Gomez is different can be put to rest. We have no energy, and no way to create energy by crashing and banging.

26. Chuck says:

Ugh.

Too many guys looking like they were out for a leisure skate tonight, being out-hustled for the majority of the game.

1 goal scored over two of their games, and that one was a gimme bounce off the end boards. That ain’t gonna cut it.

27. Mondou6 says:

Well that was inspiring.

28. Chris Higgins says:

Seven tilts left until the massive gellin’. The System knows all, sees all, is all!!!

29. The Dude says:

The Habs home opener from hell!!!!!

30. phillyhab says:

Patches, Plekanec in flashes, otherwise, what an abysmal performance. Cole is useless. Also, Fire Martin.

31. NLhabsfan says:

Back to what ever drawing board they have.. This game was poorly played by the Habs.

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

…has anyOne seen the commercial for the BMW i ?
    …whoa ! …I WANT one !
    …I’m turning 65 soon …but, bet I even would have No Problem cruisin’ for babes in THAT
    …not available in showrooms ’til 2003/2004 ???
    …well, motivation to hang ’round a little longer :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Muckbringer says:

i still say its concept….

Nelson Mandela

33. Chris says:

Sole positive for me…I’ve been pleasantly impressed with Palushaj tonight.

34. habstrinifan says:

I hear Boone say Moen/Gomez/Gionta…. and I gotta hold my head and cry like a baby…. I gotta find a hobby this winter else I’ll go bananas.

35. Mondou6 says:

Our two big off-season signings: Cole and Markov.

Bodes well.

36. cheezboie says:

No passion or grit – A game White could have helped us with. When’s Martin’s contract up?

Same sore spots as last year – Gauthier/Martin/Gomez/Spacek

37. stephen says:

It seemed to be widely understood last year that Muller was the communicator on the bench.

I don’t know much about Cunneyworth or Ladouceur as coaches, but are either of them similarly proactive with instruction or corrections?

38. JIMVINNY says:

Eller crosschecked in the head, no call.

39. JD_ says:

Diaz gettin’ booed?

Two words: Vanilla Sky.

40. Mondou6 says:

>3P 7:05 I can’t take 82 games of Engqvist.

How about Gomez?

41. habpunk says:

can habs decline all future pp’s?

42. durocher says:

An injured Blair Betts would probably show more grit and heart than some of our forwards.

This is embarrassing.

43. stephen says:

Boy, the producers at L’Antichambre must be wracking their brains for conversation after this one….

Oy.

44. 1010 says:

The Habs go down on a four on two and by the time Gomez shoots no one (except maybe Gionta in a round-about, lazy sort of way) is driving the net. You’re down by three goals and you’re on the powerplay.
    What’s wrong here?

GO HABS…

45. habstrinifan says:

Has JM written in his little notebook yet?

46. Propwash says:

I sense bagskate tomorrow

• punkster says:

God, I hope not. Somebody will pull a groin or something.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• habstrinifan says:

If JM bagskates them expect some sullen players next game. They have no confidence in JM.

• punkster says:

You’re on the mailing list? You have access to their email accounts? You work for the team as a masseuse? Tell us how you know?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• zak says:

Do you have confidence in JM and his note book

• habstrinifan says:

OK punkster.. you tell me this. Take into account last year. And you have at least 3 days between games and you have to replace Cammy.
          So what would a good coachcdo, with last year’s faliures there for him to see.
          He would make a line and drill them and drill them and have them practise plays and shots and tenancity as a line form all over the ice. So when the damn game starts.. you DO NOT END UP with Moen/Gomez/Gionta as a line… at no time in the game.

That’s why the players may have no confidence.. the coach has no strategy or solution except aimless line-juggling.

• punkster says:

The “team” wearing the CH tonight was no team. They came out like gang busters and caught Calgary napping. Then they spent the remaining 58 minutes outhitting, out shooting and winning more faceoffs than Calgary yet when it came to chances they had no finish.

I didn’t see any players consistently trying too hard. Nobody played well because as a “team” they failed tonight and all the miracle, behind the bench magicians in the world couldn’t make them win this one.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Propwash says:

I remember it happening during the beginning of the season last year. The team showed more heart after that.

• Mark C says:

How the hell can a coach matter so much that a team would have no confidence in him after three games? Last they saw JM he was their coach when they lost to the Cup winners in OT in game 7, now three games later, they have no confidence in him. How’s that work?

• TomNickle says:

It works to suit agendas Mark. I’m not a big fan of his. But this is hilarious.

• Mark C says:

I’m pretty iffy on JM, that said I feel only great and poor coach’s really matter. There are only a few of these, JM is not one of them. All other coach’s are interchangeable. In addition, I think, a team can win a Cup with one of these middling coach’s, such as Boston.

JM gets a rough deal around here. Guy The Great, who everyone whines about losing, got blown out 5-1 by a crap team tonight.

47. Stuck_in_To. says:

3P 9:45 Almost a shortie. That would have been perfect

by mboone 9:54 PM

Are we watching the same game because that was so badly handled I can barely type.

48. durocher says:

Why is Darche on the PP? Why?

And why is Pleks still on the point?

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…could use a good fight or brawl right about now
    …not much else to get excited ’bout :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

50. Chuck says:

Ok, time for their best half-period of the season.

51. Mondou6 says:

Haha, oh my god, even the TSN announcers feel bad for us tonight. That’s when you know we’re bad, sympathy from TSN.

52. JIMVINNY says:

That’s just ridiculous.

53. Chuck says:

They’re getting pucks past Kipper, but they’re either hitting the post or rolling six inches wide.

54. solomio says:

Oh Jeez they just showed Gainey at the game. No please no no…ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

55. HABSsince92 says:

Mr. Molson should give discount vouchers to anybody who brings a ticket stub from tonights game to the box office for a future game with the way the Habs played tonight in front of hard working people who wasted their money on watching that effort.

The Scott Gomez line………..where wingers go to die.

56. Mondou6 says:

That Asham fight is why this league has second class status. Any other pro sports league, and that guy is suspended/fined for a big chunk of the season.

In today’s NHL, it’s marketed and encouraged. Effing embarrassing.

57. Say Ash says:

What’s the worst home opener you can recall?

• Muckbringer says:

5-1

“The gesture was there, but it’s like wrestling, … They do all kinds of stuff and there’s kids in the stands. It’s entertainment. Even one game (suspension), I thought, would have been too much. But I guess they’re trying to give a good image. I can’t do anything about it. I have to be more careful next time, I guess.”

58. Chuck says:

If they make it through the game without sustaining a major injury, I’ll consider tonight somewhat successful.

• Muckbringer says:

roger that

• HABSsince92 says:

LOL, great post Chuck.

The Scott Gomez line………..where wingers go to die.

59. neumann103 says:

This is excruciating.

Other than Plekanec, the best player on for the Habs all game: Lars Eller, and is the one with an excuse to take it easy. What is everyone else’s story.

I am the last person to find the silver lining, but seriously: Lars Eller. Give the kid his props

“Et le but!”

60. punkster says:

On the bright side…spent the second period preparing 2 delicious carrot cakes. In the oven now. Icing tomorrow.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

61. durocher says:

A key deficiency in our team: we don’t have bangers to hit everything that moves to help change the momentum and get the fans back in to it. At least guys like Begin would do what they could to get things back on track.

• Muckbringer says:

odelein/leclair combo would hit the spot right now.

i may just go down on a law man to have spvoda back at this point

62. Muckbringer says:

when will i stop playing proline…

habs never tie when i play, and 2$ is too much

63. zaq007 says:

Haven’t watched much of the game but at least Eller is looking good for first game back

64. Propwash says:

Wow, Eller! Better trade him while his value is still high!

65. danhabsfan says:

Simple basic hockey, how come no one ever goes to the net?

66. danhabsfan says:

Where’s Muller… he was a real coach, and we are worse without him

67. DEANDALLEY says:

WTF … Keeping Price in the net!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• Muckbringer says:

its no 9-2 here. this match is a friendly by now methinks

68. what ever says:

we’re the same team up front as we were last year. can only score against the weak teams and PG made our defence weaker. on paper this team looks great. on the ice not so sure. I looked at tonights line up and I said this looks great, unless something happens in the 3rd period am I ever gonna be wrong.

• solomio says:

Yeah you’re right..same team. Seems they all forgot the system over the summer. Looks like they’ve never played together.
      Very strange

• Muckbringer says:

gainey got creative forwards and handed the helm over to PG/GM for “the system”

come april we will remember why again.

Nelson Mandela

69. habsfan0 says:

The odds of the Habs winning this game are about the same as the odds of Quebec’s construction industry being corruption free by end of year.

70. 123456 says:

Big Comback Time – BCT

71. Bill says:

Pretty lame effort.

Full Breezer 4 Life

72. danhabsfan says:

Boy did he ever go down easy

73. Jdub1985 says:

there has to be more behind the Markov signing … its too obvious of a bad decision to believe it was a legitimate move

74. durocher says:

Beagle fight mentioned below:

Not cool at all for Asham to make those gestures after beating Beagle. Low class move for sure.

75. Sean Bonjovi says:

Eller looks pretty good tonight though.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    – Sean Bonjovi