Canadiens stink out home opener

Moss-Price

It started festive … but that didn’t last.
The Flames outhustled a listless home team and romped to a dismayingly easy win.

Bad D.

Popgun power play.

30-plus shots and one goal to show for them.

Nowhere to go but up.

1. 123456 says:

kovalchuck and parise both scored nice goals for NJ in SO against the kings.

2. Mavid says:

at least McGuire is gone…so losing is not nearly as annoying as it used to be…OK time to mount the big comeback….i

second place is just the first loser

3. Chuck says:

Tow periods into the home opener and already with the Chicken Little sightings…

4. sreuel says:

Fans pay how much money to watch a game but our team never shows up has to be something wrong

5. Mondou6 says:

I really can’t believe we re-signed Markov.

Even if he ever skates again, which seems doubtful, how durable is he going to be? 2 games, and then he has more ACL/MCL surgery? Really, this is beyond ridiculous.

All of our most expensive players are either unable to walk or absolutely useless on the ice.

6. Jdub1985 says:

which francophone replaced Muller

just curious

7. stephen says:

Here is the Asham histrionics. Is this what the league is about?

• Muckbringer says:

thats good stuff right there

“The gesture was there, but it’s like wrestling, … They do all kinds of stuff and there’s kids in the stands. It’s entertainment. Even one game (suspension), I thought, would have been too much. But I guess they’re trying to give a good image. I can’t do anything about it. I have to be more careful next time, I guess.”

• Chuck says:

Gary’s NHL.

8. TomNickle says:

Okay. Who hid the panic button?

9. Muckbringer says:

so how many games left till the playoffs?

im locking myself in the freezer, please wake me in april

10. habstrinifan says:

OK… so THEY KNEW that Markov wasnt gonna be ready. And THEY KNEW that White’s injury was more than ‘day to day’. And THEY spent the PRESEASON camp doing NOTHING and day before sent down almost EVERYONE they had invited to camp and managed to lose Jeff Woywitka (not a star but certainly you do not lose a big body like this on waivers knowing your injury situation) and made some questionable signings..

This management is F’iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ridiculous!!!

And this coach looks helpless. We may have lost more than we know when we lost Muller. Early yet but the players are showing signs that they are LOST.

• Muckbringer says:

im thinking they’re waiting till after the all star break. its a long season, not to mention the playoffs. but hey, im no JM

• Jdub1985 says:

welcome to Montreal with an accent gue on the e

11. tom13 says:

Nothing left on that d

12. durocher says:

OCCUPY BELL CENTRE!

13. MikeL says:

If I have to watch many more games with Plekanec at the point on the powerplay, I may lose my mind.

Clearly it isn’t working. He lacks the big shot, and it’s a total waste of his skating and passing skills having him sit back there. Not to mention his lack of shot makes covering PK much easier.

Put Weber or Diaz there and stop this nonsense.

14. stephen says:

Aaron Asham knocks out Jay Beagle (Capitals) cold in a fight and does his best WWE impression with a ‘nighty-night’ gesture afterward.

Cherry must be wetting himself.

15. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I cannot believe that people aren’t back in their seats by the time the period starts. Time for a sit-in, wrestle those seats back from the people who don’t deserve them

16. Muckbringer says:

they have capitalised, we look shellshocked.
    i feel bad for carey, if i didnt wish i was him

17. Propwash says:

That Moss guy is playing a heckuva game.

18. The Dude says:

Thank-god we’re playing the Flames,could you imagine what would happen if this team played Boston or Philly.It’s stupid to single out Martin cause Gauthier is just as responsible! Clean house Molson bro’s!Lets get the cup plan 213 next…so who’s next years Wonder-kid cause it looks like we’re gonna get a good shot at him!

• Muckbringer says:

ifs and buts dude. by that imean we might actually fight

19. Propwash says:

Nothing like a L to bring out the entertainment.

20. avatar_58 says:

Wonder if Hamrlik has a giant smirk on his face knowing how terrible the D looks this year. Or are we still kidding ourselves that the D has one too many glaring holes?

21. Jdub1985 says:

here’s to another year of protecting one goal leads and playing from behind

JM juggle hockey at its finest!

• habstrinifan says:

You’re WRONG there re protecting one goal leads and they dont look to have the gumption to ‘play’ from behind. Everything I have seen from DAY 1 of the 2011-2012 season frightens me into thinking that unless something drastic is done early, this WILL be a disastrous year for the team.

22. topher5468 says:

I hope Cole plays better because I can’t watch him suck this bad for 4 years. One Scott Gomez per team is enough

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

23. HabFanSince72 says:

Blame Gauthier not JM.

He signed Cole (for ridiculous money), a journeyman 32 year old.

He signed Markov with no plan B should his knee fail.

Etc etc …

24. Chuck says:

Pure and simple, they’re being out-hustled.

25. Habbu says:

Don Cherry says it best…..PUKES!

26. Mondou6 says:

So looks like we’ll be in the mix for the 8th playoff spot for the 3rd straight year.

My prediction is we miss the playoffs this year, and JM is finally fired. Not that any coach could do much with this roster.

27. durocher says:

Night changed when Gio took two penalties in a row

28. riddler says:

Wasn’t Cole brought in 2b that traffic ?

29. nova scotia vees says:

1. Line changes are horrible. I would love to hear what Scotty would say about this foolish 35 second shift nonsense. We spend more time racing to the bench than attacking!
    2. This team is not in shape. I couldn’t believe it when I read that Cammalari said that he didn’t do “any cardio all summer”, and that it is over-rated!! Does he also think that the earth is flat? Who is their fitness trainer…Fire the lot of them.

• solomio says:

I agree..JM’s line changes always do seem to be at the wrong time. I disagree…Cammy has looked in real good shape.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

30. DEANDALLEY says:

Habs management won’t get rid of Martin cause it is considered a success just to creep into the playoffs yr after yr …

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

31. 1010 says:

Getting whipped like this, by one of the leagues’ inferior teams, on your home opener, is a very bad sign. Early in the year or not.

GO HABS…

32. Mavid says:

Ottawa is looking for fans…as a matter of fact my husband is at the game…someone gave him free tickets in one of those nice sky high swanky boxes….give them a try…lots of seats..free tickets…nice quiet building in the middle of nowhere…super duper special team with top players like Chris Neil…

second place is just the first loser

33. Muckbringer says:

again…

“amnualll meat’n?…”

“WHAT WE NEED IS A WAR!!!”

34. kempie says:

/plekanec point nonsense
    /end

• solomio says:

True… and very obvious..except of course to the coach

35. stephen says:

Cole is going to quickly discover that no shift goes without intense scrutiny in Montreal. He’s really going to hear it for that last goal.

• Chris says:

Yep.

My biggest worry is if he has a 4th straight season with a slow start, the boo birds are going to shift the target from Gomez (well, not entirely…) to Cole.

• solomio says:

Ya..at the end I really thought he was going to drop his gloves, cover his face and start crying.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

It isn’t like we have seen this over and over for the past two years.

37. habsfan0 says:

So who will be the next French speaking coach of the Habs? My vote is for Don Cherry. I hear his French is impeccable.

38. canadiens26 says:

There needs to be some traffic in front of the net on the PP.

39. 123456 says:

pleks looks good but dont like him on the point – AK flashes but also two terrible turnovers….. is anyone else on the ice?

40. phillyhab says:

did Gomez drive the net?

41. riddler says:

Habs made Kip look good.

• solomio says:

Kip IS a Very good goalie

42. Mondou6 says:

Can they please just take Price out already. The game was over at 3-1, why waste him.

43. LL says:

A message from the team. “You think we suck? You people on this site suck more. So there.”

44. Chris says:

Have to hand it to Kiprusoff…he’s had a good game tonight. Grr.

45. riddler says:

Shhotin’ more blanks than a track meet starters gun.

46. tom13 says:

It’s a home opener

47. JIMVINNY says:

Man, Tommy K just can’t win. Even Patches tosses him around.

48. durocher says:

Amazing Pleky shift

49. Propwash says:

Dooooooooooooooooooooomed I tellz ya!

50. topher5468 says:

I think Cole will soon will be my new whipping boy, he sucks

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

51. Muckbringer says:

price, pk, and gio (maybe skillzy) are the only habs on the ice now.

flames have had some help tonight,

oh how we made kipper look good

“The gesture was there, but it’s like

52. zak says:

We gotta put up with Cole for 4 more years and gomez for 3 more years

53. TheMock780 says:

Very poor execution and Calgary is fighting for this, the Habs aren’t. Absolutely no jump since the call on Darche in the first.

54. Danno says:

Thanks Boone. You’re excused. You may go now.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

55. habpunk says:

let’s take a poll:
    how long before JM is fired?
    i say 25 games.
    I want to give him enough time to hang himself.

This team is not even close to a NHL caliber team. They do not deserve my time. We have the talent but we have no one to put this talent together.! Martin has to go.

• solomio says:

Just don’t think anymore that the preseason is meaningless.
      Habs took much too much time with young non caliber players and failed to develop any cohesion with the main team. Don’t tell me it doesn;t show.

57. JIMVINNY says:

How have the Flames not been called for one single interference penalty? Ever after the puck is long gone, Gomez is getting slammed into the net, with no call. WTF is that?

58. AH says:

This must feel like a practice scrimmage to the Flames…..

59. danhabsfan says:

Well… I think we better enjoy the 82 games we’re guaranteed, More play like this and that will be all she writes.
    BTW, can anyone tell me how this team is suppose to be better than last years? The only improvement was Cole, yet still big holes left.

60. JD_ says:

Wow. That last sequence was just br00tal. You’d think the whistle had blown five seconds before the goal.

Passin’ game – both short and long – is waaay off. Looks like Eight Ball Deluxe out there.

Not one for the books.

61. Maksimir says:

Is this karma kicking the Habs in the balls for ruining the Jets historic home opener?

62. durocher says:

Relax everyone, it’s only preseason

63. Ferg says:

Gonna give them a pass since they haven’t played in a while, but they are sure throwing up all over themselves. Absolutely everyone looks bad. Even the girls in the crowd are ugly.

64. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Who was the loser that chastised me for saying they had no jump or spark in Winnipeg?

About the same, maybe worse tonight but without the good bounces.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

65. HABSsince92 says:

It’s like last season never ended………….NO OFFENSE AT ALL!

The Scott Gomez line………..where wingers go to die.

66. habstrinifan says:

When sane people note dthe PRE-SEASON disorganization, lack of focus and preparation by the coaches… the ‘rose coloured’ crowd sneered.

I have rarely seens a team as rudderless as this one this early in the season.

• punkster says:

Sane?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chris says:

I’ve seen it. About 1/3 of the teams in the league look terrible for the first couple of weeks. Some of them never pull out.

Some of them win the Stanley Cup. :)

• punkster says:

And by the way those vaunted Bruins, winners of the Stanley Can last season, are what? Blazing their way to a 1-3 start.

I said it earlier today. Good teams who start slow and bad teams who start fast, happens every season to some.

The Bs won’t go 20 – 62, the Loafs won’t go 82 – 0 and the Habs, as so many have predicted, will likely finish in a playoff spot.

Of course, being a rose coloured glasses and certainly not sane means that nothing I say should be taken seriously.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

67. habsfan0 says:

Why can’t the Habs play the Winnipeg Jets every game?

68. Propwash says:

So, Cole is the latest and greatest social pariah?

69. NLhabsfan says:

This team us in a coma.

70. Mondou6 says:

Ok, so we have a top 3 goaltender, a bottom 5 offense, and a bottom 5 defense.

Wow, this should be an entertaining year!

71. Jdub1985 says:

Markov signing lookin fantastic!

72. TomNickle says:

Jacques Martin,

I was critical when you were hired, turned the page and accepted and appreciated your efforts with this team for some time now and am currently back on the fence. Pierre Gauthier has given you some toys. Lars Eller, Erik Cole, David Desharnais. And you have some leftovers at your disposal like Andrei Kostitsyn.

So with that in mind, please put Travis Moen where he belongs, in the press box or on the 4th line.

Thank you.

73. duffy says:

SURE GLAD WE SPENT $$$$ 18,000,000.00 ON COLE.

74. 1010 says:

Fans are doing well not to be booing this gong show.

GO HABS…

75. durocher says:

We could try to change the momentum by fighting someone, but….