Go Canucks!

4840435

Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images

Stop me if you’ve heard this before:
Nathan Horton scores to win Game 7.

Let’s be honest: The better team won.

And maybe that will be the case in the final.

•  •  •

Faceoffs were 35-26 Boston.

The team with the faceoff edge won every game of the series.

•  •  •

Anyone remember a playoff game with no penalties?

That dooomed the Lightning, because Boston was the better 5-on-5 team.

•  • •

Hey, props to Horton.

Came back from a big hit and an injury.

Sweet pass by Krejci, who was brilliant in this series.

1. Toe Blake says:

Who gives a shit? I mean really, who gives a shit? The Montreal Canadiens by all measures that matter to us suck! They suck! Stop spankin’ that monkey!!!

2. Sal says:

Too true. Cherry pointing out linesmen tossing out players on faceoffs. Affects the game! Linesmen affecting the game in a way they have no business doing. How can the NHL not put a stop to it? Bunch of morons..Bush League

Sal from the Hammer

3. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Let’s go Bolt’s!! Send these cro-magnon men back to the stone age.

4. bob says:

I THINK BOSTON’S STICKS ARE TOO LONG

RClavel

5. arcosenate says:

let him come back aim for the ribs.

6. Exit716 says:

Switched over to watch the end of Iron Chef instead of the Village Idiot and his fart catcher…Let me know when he’s done.

7. arcosenate says:

hate to see horton getting hurt like that…

8. lavie says:

MAB is awful. Boucher just plays him too much.

9. HabsFan2 says:

Cole: “Get it out of the net, then get it out of the zone.”

Huh?

———————————————-
    RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

10. Keith says:

What a save!

11. JayBee says:

MAB you suck

12. Keith says:

Gonna let them play apparently. Just don’t call a chintzy one.

13. Exit716 says:

Recchi’s injured? LMAO. Probably faking it. Call Dr. Mulder, Markie. Karma baby, karma.

14. Keith says:

I can almost see this game going to 6 periods. Both teams evenly matched.

15. Exit716 says:

Tampa’s back end is pretty average.

16. Hobie Hansen says:

Roloson is a big game goaltender!

17. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Boucher seems like a really hands on coach. He’s always talking to his players and his assistants. Compared to JM who stands around like a deaf/mute guy.

18. Keith says:

Good Game7 so far. Come on Tampa!

19. JayBee says:

Tampa better hope they get a bunch of PP’s…they can’t hang with Boston 5 on 5.

20. Exit716 says:

Attention Dr. Recchi….Two words for you…Hair Weave.

21. _Habsoloutly_ says:

wow, the Bruins crowd really looks like the shallow end of the gene pool.

22. Sheldon says:

Screw these bastards!!! Go Bolts Go!!!

23. JD_ says:

Most important reason the Broonz need to be eliminated tonight?

If it doesn’t happen, prepare for the post-goal “Woo!” for every single home goal over the balance of the playoffs.

24. Exit716 says:

Thomas gets pulled in the first period. 4-0 Tampa after one.

25. JD_ says:

Boone beat me to the MacLean is a dork observation.

That Paul Revere bit would be grounds for dismissal in any real organization.

26. JayBee says:

3-1 or 2-0 Bruins. Just hope we get to witness a great game tonight.

27. _Habsoloutly_ says:

At least Hughson will get the names of the players right.

28. _Habsoloutly_ says:

CBC sounds firmly in the Bruins corner.

29. Keith says:

Just woke up from my pre-game nap. Hard week at work, but I couldn’t miss this game. GO BOLTS GO!!!

30. Toe Blake says:

What’s great about having no skin in the game anymore is that I can just get into a groove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfXo4Lzvps!!!

31. TorontoHabsFan says:

Outside of getting some otherworldly goaltending, can anybody realistically see either of these teams beating Vancouver? Watching these two series’ on opposite nights really drove home for me just how superior both Vancouver and San Jose (and Detroit too) were to their Eastern counterparts.

This one might be an extremely one-sided Finals…unless of course Bobby Lu (Lou?) pulls out one of his patented cold streaks :)

32. JayBee says:

So who still wants Vinny? If you hate Gomez’s contract, I don’t know what you’ll say about Vinny’s.

Plus, Gomez’s cost was McDonaugh Higgins and Valatenko. Vinny’s was Pleks, Gorges, Subban and a 1st. Oh and your golden boy Gainey agreed to this.

Imagine if this deal went through. Lecavalier would probably already have asked for a trade. $10M salary that drops to 4M in 2018. That deal would have crippled the Habs far worse than the Gomez deal has/would.

Why people trust that management will be able to make moves to make this team a cup contender is beyond me. Luckily Timmins has done a good job drafting.

33. HabFanSince72 says:

Email I just got from one of those US job recruiters. Notice anything missing from the list of attractions of the greater Phoenix area?
    ————

Dear Dr. HFS72,

Arizona – MD Position

One Hours Drive- Phoenix and Scottsdale (75 Miles)
    - Professional Sports-Football / Basketball/Baseball
    - Spring Training / Theater / Symphony / Arts / Museums / Universities
    - World Class Golf / Spas / Shopping / 5 Star Dining

• shiram says:

You are just flaunting your Dr title, Doctor HabsFanSince72.

• LA Loyalist says:

That’s hilarious. Also no mention of the 120 degree summers, the highest kidnapping rate in the US (due to the drug smuggling wars), etc.

By the way, how was your dinner last night? We need a review!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Very nice. Started with a Manhattan (bartender made it with Jack Daniels which I believe is incorrect but I don’t mind), then a ceviche of mixed fish, and finally the grilled hangar steak, which was perfect. Most enjoyable. Almost forgot that the Bruins might still win the cup.

• Jim Edson says:

110 degrees maximum but no earthquakes, or freeway road rage like the LA sewer!

And unlike the mid-west and southeast no Tornadoes!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

• The Cat says:

I been to Phoenix extensively, the people are crazy from the heat I reckon, also note youll be ready to sell an organ for underground parking eventually lol

• shootdapuck says:

If its 75 miles to Scottsdale its nowhere in the greater Phoenix area!

Maybe Goodyear not Phoenix.

Get a map!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

34. HabFanSince72 says:

Dear Ask H I/O,

I keep reading that trading Gomez is out of the question.

But what is this question that trading Gomez is out of? And why is the thing that does not contain trading Gomez even a question?

Yours,

Puzzled in Mtl

35. HNS says:

Not thaty I hate the Booins but I feel one coming on now. F U BOSTON !!

36. HNS says:

Not that I hate the Booins but I feel one coming on now. F U BOSTON!!

37. CHsam says:

Im going to take flak for this, but I think we can still go far with Gomez. He’s no St-Louis, but he still has wheels and if he can adapt and change his game, then that’s one bonus for the team, regardless of salary

• G-Man says:

I am with you. Eller and Desharnais are not ready. Gomez is the vet with the big salary and the 1st or 2nd line minutes and power play time. We wouldn’t be so Gomezed out this summer if his wingers put those empty netters he set up for them in. But, at HIO anyway, he is the ultimate evildoer that can do nothing right.
      Oops, forgot. He’s also the laziest player on the ice and doesn’t tip well at restaurants. He’s been known to smile while he is on the bench playing the game he loves, but his team is losing. For Shame!

• habs03 says:

I don’t know why people are so upset, Gomez had an off year, but I think people expect too much from him, the guy is a 50-60 point guy who scores 10-15 goals max, take him for what he is, even his play-making skills are overrated. But the guy is a winner, I don’t mind having here for one more year and trading him when he salary goes down to 4.5M. Its kinda crazy to but when he retires he’ll be able to say: “I was rookie of the year in the NHL, I played a big part in winning 2 Stanley Cups, and I my team made the playoffs every season I was on them.

• Exit716 says:

Yeah Gomez really helped us in Games three through seven.
        Any guy that has to apologize to his teammates for sucking isn’t worth the bothter.

• D Mex says:

You have to view Gomez and the contract separately, he is not a major concern in my book. Moves the puck and distributes it quite well in my view and gains the offensive zone on most carries. Compete level is inconsistent and he needs work on faceoffs, him and how many other NHL centermen … Anyone unhappy about the contract should direct the poison at Sather, Gainey, Gauthier, or all of the above.

Eller is a keeper in my book. Has good (not exceptional) size and skating ability, and will continue to improve with experience (can’t wait ’til he starts to shave :-).

I am not sold on Desharnais, and will admit it is due largely (no pun intended) to his stature. Appears to play with plenty of heart, but it is just too easy to keep this kind of player on the outside when (literally) push comes to shove.

For me, the priority is a winger with decent size to help share the load with Pacioretty and, if he sticks around, Moen. White has earned a shot at full-time CH employment IMO, but I would be OK seeing Gionta or Cammy (preferably Gionta) go, and I say this despite viewing Gionta as the consummate pro and Cammy as a potential ego problem – he can and does score.

ADD one D-Man with size, toughness and the proven ability to play in ALL situations and in ALL rinks, ditto an upgrade on Auld, and I’m good for the start of the next season.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• eric says:

IF IF IF…. If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle

• Sharks9 says:

He can still be good, but not worth 8 million dollars good. We can get someone way better for that kind of money.

25 before 14

• Kooch7800 says:

Unfortunately, you cannot overlook such a huge salary in a cap world with lack or production/effort. Gomez hasn’t had a good season in three years.

If Gomez does adapt his game he may be more useful but I don’t ever think we will be able to Win with him and Plek’s as our top two centres. Plek’s is a number 2 centre at best, and a damn good one but calling Gomez a number one centre is a farce. He isn’t currenlty good enough to be a third line centre, he can’t win a face off, is poor defensively and doesn’t contribute on offense.
      Unfortunately, you have to call a spade a spade. If Gomez was going to change his game don’t you think he would have tried by now?

• LA Loyalist says:

Sigh.

What kind of example is Gomez for Eller and DD and the other young guys?

Careening into the offensive zone, and dumping the puck at the first sign of resistance. Back checking by waving his stick one-handedly as someone blows by him?

I don’t want him near any of our kids, I don’t care if we have to pay him $8M to sit in the press box.

I know we’re stuck with him, but at least lets give the kids his minutes so they learn under fire. That’s a much better plan than pretending that “Oh, this year he’s going to try harder.” Boy are we fools if we fall for that.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. What makes this year different then any of the last three seasons? Nothing. If he was motivated it would have been last year when it was his first year as a hab and he played with gio and Cammy. He still didn’t even get sixty points. If that is the ceiling for him now then he has to go.

Everyone keeps saying that they are worried about having the kids play….reality check guys, the kids are the only reason we made the playoffs this year. Cammy stunk, Gio was off, Gomez…well. DD was our best player in the second half. Subban was one of if not our best defensemen. Max Pac was while he played our best winger. Don’t be so quick to knock the youth on this team. Our Vets really choked lsat year and we would have missed the playoffs without the kids.

• LA Loyalist says:

Not to belabour the point, but if the kids aren’t playing serious minutes they should be in Hamilton. What do they learn sitting on the end of the bench and getting punished if they make a mistake. Mistakes are how humans learn.

• shiram says:

There is difference in playing the AHL and NHL, and I guess they can learn alot more about the speed of the game, and the little tricks that separate a carreer ahl’er from a true nhl playerm, if they play in NHL.

Also if you only learned in your life by making mistakes, well I pity your education system! :p

• eric says:

The A didn’t hurt Pac. He played quality minutes. Like he said ;he’d mrather play quality minutes in the A than playing 5 minutes with JM and getting benched if he made a mistake

• issie74 says:

CHsam I agree,but you and I a minority of 2,and I hate the fact he takes the flack for all the teams woe’s.

38. CHsam says:

Thinking back to Gomez’ playoff efforts and his season, I think it’s reasonable to say that he lost focus. I think he has yet to play up to the quality that he is capable of I hope the organization is working on trying to unlock something that is preventing him from being a huge contributor. Maybe his salary is a distraction point for him, but I hope he spends the summer preparing for next season…..and practicing shooting! My god you’d think a guy like him would have a better shot.

• Exit716 says:

He has more money than he’ll ever be able to spend. He’s won two Cups. Where the hell is the rest of the motivation going to come from? I know the answer. Being sent to Hamilton for a month next year.

39. boing007 says:

Richard R
    The season is too long. Seventy games max. Like the Habs team that finished 60-8-2. Start beginning of October, finish beginning of April. Pay the players less. Reduce ticket prices as well. No more back to back games. More time for golf for those teams that don’t make it.

40. Psycho29 says:

I want the Ruins to lose, so I did some reverse psychology and bet $5 with a co-worker that THE B’s would WIN.
    I have never wanted to lose a bet so badly!!!

Did I read a rumour somewhere that Colin Campbell will be reffing the game tonight????

41. Hobie Hansen says:

Why don’t the majority of my post show up? anyone?

42. Hobie Hansen says:

All I can say is those damn Bruins are dead meat come next season!

With Markov, Pacioretty and Gorges in action, a few moves over the summer…we’re going to smoke them.

Only thing we’ll have to put up with is getting beat up in fights and roughed up all regular season…unless Gauthier brings in some backup for are talented players.

We’ll beat’em on the scoreboard but it would be nice o beat’em in the alley as well.

Looking towards next draft, here’s some news that should make E1 worry. The Blues don’t have a 1st round pick this draft.

Here are teams that have two 1st round selections:

Edmonton Oilers 1st and 19th
    Colorado Avalanche 2nd and 11th <– this is sweet
    Ottawa Senators 6th and 21st

Honourable mentions:

Florida Panthers 3rd, + 2 picks in round 2 and 3 picks in round 3
    New York Islanders 5th, 2 picks in round 2 and 2 picks in round 3

Habs by comparison:
    17th, no 2nd round picks

Bruins pick 9th over-all (tyvfm BB)

IMO the Habs need to get more aggressive in the future for subsequent deep drafts like the upcoming one and do their best to land multiple 1st round selections as we saw in 2003 with Philadelphia and Anaheim. Edmonton and Colorado could prove to be power houses in a few years, however Ottawa needs to tank harder and a few times more. Florida will no doubt tank another year or two.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NHL_Entry_Draft

• TomNickle says:

I’ve been saying for weeks now that the Habs should trade out of their pick to acquire a late first rounder and second rounder. They can either take Nicklas Jensen at their current pick or trade out and hope to get a steal late in the first. Thing is, some players are going to fall to them that might be difficult to pass on at #17. Then again, some teams may get aggressive in trying to get somebody at that pick. So we’ll see what happens.

• TomNickle says:

It is possible to acquire picks without tanking. Moving down in the draft is the best way to do it. There are always good values in the draft, having the brains to identify where they’ll be and the guts to move out of your pick are difficult.

• GrimJim says:

Just to be complete, the Loafs also have two 1st round picks, 25th from Philly and either 27 or 29 from Boston.

• punkster says:

Just a friendly question. Do you think Ottawa and Florida “tanked” in that they purposely played poorly to get higher draft picks? Or did they just have crappy management, coaching, players, attitudes, injuries or some combination of those 5 and other ill fortune?

I ask this in all seriousness. Do you believe an entire organization would purposely throw a season to get higher picks?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

Pittsburgh did it for close to a decade Punkster.

• punkster says:

Wait. The Pens subject has been discussed to death and the assumption that they purposely tanked all 10 seasons is pretty hard to swallow. That was one crappy organization back then. Until they got Lemieux they were a joke and it was only the end of that ’83-’84 season where they admittedly did their best to finish last.

I’m asking about Florida and Ottawa this past season. I don’t see it there as there are no earth shattering picks.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mr. Biter says:

If the Habs ever “Tanked” this website would go down after every game. God help the players and/or management if that ever happens and many computers who would melt down.

Mr. Biter

• kazmojo says:

Doubt it. They did hold a fire sale to get best value on expiring contracts. That enabled them to a get a good look at some of their youngsters. Better draft standing was just a side benefit.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Ottawa didn’t tank. Unfortunately, they won quite a few games after playing and signing that new goalie (Anderson?). If they had played him less, they probably would have lost more and “earned” a higher draft choice.

– formerly notbigbird –

• HabFanSince72 says:

Price for Parise and NJ’s 1st (Huberdeau).

We also draft Zack Philips with our original pick, and sign Vokoun to tend goal.

• Mike D says:

Do you honestly dislike Price? This is the second time in less than a week that I’ve seen you post an armchair GM trade involving him.

- Honestly yours

• HabFanSince72 says:

No. I like him. Great guy, good attitude, tremendous ability.

I think it is better to have two very good forwards than one very good goaltender. Goaltending is over-rated. Ask Bobby Clarke.

Don’t assume I’m “trading Price” ’cause I dislike him. TomNickle just traded Scott Gomez after all…

• SeriousFan09 says:

Bobby Clobber? The guy whose team hasn’t won Jack and **** in over 30 years b/c they ignore the goal position? Clarke wouldn’t have a single Cup ring without Bernie Parent.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Serious Fan09 beat me to it.

Exactly what he said. Without Parent, Clarke has no rings. Without a goalie of his calibre since then, the Flyers haven’t won, even though they have a stacked team at forward.

Goaltending is important. When you have a goalie like Price, you hold onto him, unless you get totally blown away with a trade offer and you have a suitable replacement in mind. And no, Tomas Vokoun is not a suitable replacement.

• SeriousFan09 says:

2011 is in fact not a deep draft HH, it has not been considered by any leading scouting minds to be a deep draft but an average one, more akin to a 2007, or 2002 draft, some very solid names at the top but not brimming with star potential all up and down the first two rounds like the ’03 or the ’08 draft.

Habs could use another pick in the early rounds certainly, but this is not a class that should be mentioned in the same breath as 2003.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• GrimJim says:

After the trade deadline, Jay Feaster was on Calgary radio and said that the Flames scouts were advising him to not trade any 2012 picks because that was going to be a very deep draft, much deeper than this year’s.

• HardHabits says:

Then the Habs should be jockeying for position, via trades, to move up and into more than one 1st round selection.

• punkster says:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they did so. Now given even a good draft has very few guaranteed or ready for prime time stars PG would likely have to offer up some pretty premo shiznit to get a top 5 pick. Like really good stuff… knowaimsayin?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• LA Loyalist says:

I think your analysis shows we are not out of the woods yet. It will take 2 or 3 more years of sound management to restock the pipeline.

In the interim we will have to look for late round and “project” players and hope some of them come around – which can happen, of course, we have a decent record in that.

44. Sources: Don Meehan and Pierre Gauthier haven’t made big talks as of yet.
    Hoping they will soon…

Habsnation is still standing.

45. The Bruins are going to do something that will either hurt Steve Downie or piss him off, either a hit to the head, hit from behind or a face wash leading into a 2min penalty for Goons and 2 min for TB. Trust me its gonna be one of those games.

Habsnation is still standing.

• TomNickle says:

Trust me it won’t. The Bruins won’t act stupid in game 7 of the Eastern Final unless they’re out of the game in the final minutes. Remember how timid they were in game seven against the Flyers last year?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I wouldn’t put it passed the Bruins for taking a dumb penalty but the only problem is they get away with penalties and suspensions, more than any team in NHL history.

They should have had 100s of penalties and a handful of suspensions by now…

46. shiram says:

Is there a reason why when I try to post, I hit submit comment, the pages loads up, and no comment shows??

And it did not post it, no errors anything.

47. shiram says:

I tried to type : Wishful thinking.

And it did not post it, no errors anything.

I hope the Lightning win by a score of 7-3 and the Bruin fans boo their team off the ice.

49. TomNickle says:

Scott Gomez to the Florida Panthers for Shawn Matthias, Alex Petrovic and a 2nd round pick in 2012.

Sorry if I sent people racing to tsn.ca, just bouncing the idea.

• Mike D says:

Reporting or speculating? Don’t get me excited for nothing.

- Honestly yours

• davecessna says:

Bunk, bunk I say.

• shiram says:

Wishful thinking!

• jimmy shaker says:

Don’t make me sing Tom. Gomer is harder to trade than Gretzky was back in the day. I can’t see him leaving to go anywhere after a season like this past one!

Shaker

• TomNickle says:

Not as hard to trade when you look at the cap numbers going to next year. Floor will be around $45 million and the Panthers have $17 million committed to next year’s payroll with only Vokoun due a big contract……if he stays. Dale Tallon isn’t shy about acquiring big money players either.

• Sharks9 says:

Plus he wouldn’t need to give up anything too important to get Gomez. And with 8 million in cap space we could get a 2nd line center easily.

25 before 14

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sorry, Talon is trying to rebuild the team into a winner. and you don’t win with Scott Gomez.

• TomNickle says:

Sorry, but he has to hit the cap floor and doesn’t have more than one notable salary to replenish on his current roster. In addition, this is a weak ufa class where only Brad Richards will attract big money. He has to add $30 million dollars to his payroll for next year. Vokoun could eat up $5 million of that, maybe. Say he gets the other good ufas, all of them. He gets Connolly, Ryder and one of the good defensemen, out of that group he’s only going to be adding another $11 million, tops. So that $11 million in addition to $5 million for Vokoun, under a best case scenario for him, still leaves $14 million THAT HE MUST ADD to be cap compliant. He’ll be adding a big money player by trade, it’s no certainty that it will be Gomez but he’ll have to take on an underachieving big ticket player if he doesn’t want to give up a lot of those rebuilding blocks.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

OK, keep dreaming he’ll get Gomez. He has all this cap space because it’s his strategy in rebuilding. He’s not gonna trade for Gomez. But keep wishing it so and maybe it will happen.

• TomNickle says:

You go ahead and tell me who he’s going to add that can make up for $30 million in cap room when 29 other teams will be in on free agents he’s pursuing. Tell me what big salary player he’ll be able to add without giving up his prospects that he’s building with. I’m waiting. Funny thing about all of this is that my scenario, that I was floating, is more likely than your opinion that he doesn’t have to add big salary. You do know there’s a cap floor right? He must spend $45 million(or more) next year to ice a team.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

He doesn’t have to just sign UFA’s. You understand that right? You do understand that he can make a few trades. Are you really trying to tell me that the guy who just built a stanley cup winning team created all that salary cap room and picks just so he could be desperate and trade for Scott Gomez??? hahahahahahaha like I said, keep dreaming if it makes you feel good.

• TomNickle says:

I guess our conversation here is over Habsolutely. Again, I’ve asked you for an alternative to Gomez in terms of what players Tallon could reasonably add without giving up prospects that are key to his rebuild. You’ve yet to cite one. $30 million just to get to the cap floor in a sub par free agent class and teams that are less willing to do hockey deals than they were ten years ago. And again, if the goal is to add good expensive players, what players fit into that category that don’t cost Erik Gudbranson, Dimitri Kulikov or Jakob Markstrom? He has no choice but to add at least one highly expensive player. And we’re talking in the $7-$10 million dollar range in terms of a cap hit. There’s no way in hell he’ll be able to add Wisniewski, Bieksa, Erhoff, Pitkanen and Kaberle. He’ll be lucky to add two of those five. If you think he can just dip into the ufa crop and make great trades where he acquires high priced stars without giving up building blocks, I’d say it’s you who’s dreaming. But keep dodging every logical point I make and call me a dreamer. It makes your argument that much stronger, in a dreamworld.

Oh, and by the way, Byfuglien and Ladd are Thrashers because of a $7 million contract that Tallon gave to Brian Campbell.

• Mike D says:

Tom, you raise good points and an overall good argument. While I still don’t see it happening, it’s A LOT more plausible than I would have thought othewise. To contribute to your argument, I will add that Gomez’s decreasing salary also makes him more appealing for a non-profitable franchise, and because he only has 3 years left, if doesn’t handcuff the team long term as they go through a rebuild. If anything, he gives tham a veteran cup-winning presence.

On the not-so-obvious other hand, I’m not sure the Habs want to trade Gomez right now. Not saying they definitely don’t, but saying they might not want to. The reason: ATM the Habs don’t have an adequate replacement for 1st or 2nd line centre. Yes, DD and Eller could share that responsibility, and Gomez’s play this past season was hardly that of a top-6 guy, but the fact still remains that they don’t have a guy that can for-sure take his spot and succeed.

- Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

Thanks for pat on the back. ;)

I was going to mention the decreasing salary but that really wouldn’t come into play until this coming season has concluded. At what he has left on his deal the average salary for Gomez is just a touch under $6 million. Still pretty expensive. But I just don’t see how Tallon can add enough salary and refrain from giving up important pieces of his rebuild. It’s also worth noting that he can really only add expensive talent via the ufa market on defense and he already has four defensemen under contract for next season. At best he can add three. He can’t avoid trading for a high priced player. He simply can’t. Unless of course he pays the league maximum to Brooks Laich, Tim Connolly or Michael Ryder. LOL

• Mike D says:

re: Gomez’s decreasing salary

You are correct and I knew that Gomez’s salary doesn’t really drop until after next season, but look at the averages…

Avg. over next 3 seasons – 5.83mil (7.5, 5.5, 4.5)
            Avg. over final 2 seasons – 5.00mil (5.5, 4.5)

The difference is only 833k which even for a cap floor team like Florida is fairly negligible.

Still though, it’s still a bit of a stretch that this is likely to happen, and again, I raise the point that Mtl. might want Gomer for another season. It’ll give them time to evaluate if Eller or DD can do the job as they get another year of development. Also, I’m sure PG knows he’ll have more suitors for Gomez as early as the trade deadline and certainly next summer when Gomez’s salary becomes more appealing to cap floor teams. I also think he’s hoping/thinking Scotty will have a bounceback season and play the whole year with Gio and Max-Pac, thereby raising his value in a trade for a better return.

- Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

I think that between Eller and Desharnais you can find what you’re looking for out of a #2 centreman. And on the off chance that neither one fit into the role, you can move Cammalleri to the centre position. My insistence on moving Gomez out isn’t an indictment of him at this point, my opinion is that Eller or Desharnais are ready to fill the role.

• issie74 says:

I have been saying Gomez is trade bait for a log time now,especially if the team only has to swallow 5.5 and 4.5 cap space and the NY Rangers continue to pick up half his salary.

• bwoar says:

I’d take Matthias straight up. I’ve always been high on him and I don’t think FLA is very good with young talent.

• LNev says:

Maybe Gomez and a 2nd rounder for a 4th rounder and a spare part.

And that’s how you get rid of Gomez… but i don’t see a floor team picking him up until 2012-2013 when his cap hit exceeds his paycheck.

• LA Loyalist says:

Scott Gomez to the Panthers for a bucket of sand, some broken sea shells and some Presidente Dominican beer – damn cold, to celebrate.

• Duracell3 says:

I’d just take the 2nd round pick. Or and 8th, whatever really.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Crime of the Century happened on this day in 1993, Kerry Fraser’s missed call on the Gretzky High Stick. It was this singular event that cost the Loafs a Stanley Cup.

Well that and a Game 7 they couldn’t get in the Semis. Oh and facing a Canadiens team in the Finals backed by the best goaltending performance anyone had ever seen in the playoffs and was pretty much invincible in overtime. Other than that, shoo-ins!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

51. D Mex says:

Just saw a piece on Horton throwing a water bottle at a Tampa fan after game 6.

Any word on how Campbell intends to sidestep, overlook or justify this one ? After all, when it comes to Greg’s team, boys will be boys …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• TheThinker says:

Campbell is too concern with his 4th Liner son to justify anything

• Mike D says:

C’mon Mexy, that’s an easy one. At most he’ll get a fine (and no suspension) with the league citing no physical contact from player to fan, and fan instigation for throwing that clapper at Krejci. The latter is what they’ll use as their excuse for differentiating it from the Tortorella incident so they can avoid using it as a precedent.

- Honestly yours

• LA Loyalist says:

Horton will get a bigger punishment for throwing a water bottle than Chara got for nearly killing Patches.

52. RJ says:

If you have ANY doubt that humans evolved from apes, look at Nathan Horton in his playoff beard. Neanderthaler…

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

53. TorontoHabsFan says:

Has Pierre McGuire ever given a second’s pause before blurting out the first thing that comes to mind? This Boston-Tampa series has been fun…but there have been at least two other far more superior series’ in these playoffs. CHI-VCR and DET-SJS were instant classics. Especially DET-SJS. I haven’t seen a finals that intense in years (decades?)

• RJ says:

Not to mention his MAN CRUSH on Loose Lips…

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

• Kooch7800 says:

Pierre Mcdumb dumb is waste of air. Apparently he didn’t see the Vancouver vs Chi town series or the San Jose vs Detroit series. He wonders why he can only get work as a broadcaster and no longer in the NHL….he is a tool.

Makes me laugh when I see people posting him as a good fit for the habs GM. He would be worse than John Ferg jr.

54. issie74 says:

There was a very good 1 hour program on the discovery channel last night,it dealt with concussion and post concussion issues,it started with Sidney Crosby and went on to teaching kids how to hit and still respect for your opponent and yourself (by Wendell Clark) I am sure you can download the program today for a very informative read.

55. RJ says:

I want to see sore loser Bruins start some crap at the end of the game when they lose and skate off the ice again without saluting their fans. First class operation from the top down.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

56. Mike D says:

If anyone’s interested you can vote for Carey Price against Cam Ward for TSN’s POY. There’s about an hour left and our boy currently has about 72% of the votes.

- Honestly yours

• GUNKA DIN says:

Done! and voted Price.
      He’s so good he even did it one handed, and in French!
      The cool part is how he avoided waving the puck in over the goal line, something Cam Ward didn’t have to do.
      A five minute review in Toronto to confirm the stop if I remember correctly.

Nobody is ever gonna beat Henri Richard’s record for Cup rings.

57. jimmy shaker says:

MAB brings the botls to the finals with 2 big pp howitzers……..and the cub karma finally comes back to bite these jabroni’s in the arce. All the illegal cheap shots, the spears, the highsticks, the punch’s to the face after the game, the crying and complaining to the media about the refs, the opposing teams centreman always getting tossed out of the face off circle etc etc etc etc………..C’mon MAB, light em up!

Shaker

58. TomNickle says:

Could the Habs lose their Head Coach in Hamilton to an NHL job in back to back off-seasons?

Guy Boucher received a lot of credit for getting players like PK Subban and Yannick Weber ready for the NHL. But under Randy Cunneyworth, Palushaj is blossoming, Dawes didn’t miss a beat after being acquired, Klubertanz had a breakout year by AHL standards, Brendon Nash got an NHL call, Pacioretty, White, Desharnais and Engqvist all got calls too and three became NHL regulars and potential core members of the big club.

• habs03 says:

The management of the team gets a lot heat for “letting guys go” but they need to be given a lot more credit for hiring guys like Boucher and Cunneyworth.

• TomNickle says:

My thoughts exactly. It would be nice to retain more talent but with the market these guys operate in they attract more attention and get favourable media coverage when things are going well. Like they say, too much credit when they’re winning and too much blame when they’re losing. That’s the nature of the beast though.

• TommyB says:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Cunneyworth lands a job in the NHL. His name was being bounced around even before he was named head coach in Hamilton. And you don’t hold anyone back if you are an organization with any class. Boucher, and now maybe Cunneyworth too. The guy who really got screwed was Don Lever. Lever wins a Calder Cup and he was definitely in line for the “big job” until he recieved a phone call telling him, “we’ve decided to go in a different direction.” Life is not always fair in the ranks of professional coaching.

• TomNickle says:

Lever had a long NHL audition viewing the game upstairs. His opinions were requested and apparently not well liked. There’s more to the Lever story than he was successful and got screwed.

• TommyB says:

I guess it depends on who you talk to, doesn’t it.

• TomNickle says:

Of course, but I don’t think Bob Gainey’s ever been accused of giving someone a raw deal or unfair treatment.

• TommyB says:

Tom, you are assuming it was Gainey’s call to make. When you say there is a lot more to a story than meets the eye, you are correct.

• Morenz7 says:

I believe it’s considered bad form within the league to block a manager or coach from moving up (I’ve never quite believed this business of Jim Nill being “under contract” in Detroit, and therefore ineligible to take a GM’s job; my guess is he likes it where he is). You have to think about the future, and teams that are known to nail the shoes of talented people to the floor will suffer in the long run.

In Boucher’s case, Mtl could hardly offer him an apprenticeship as Martin’s assistant and expect him to stay. The only option was to kick Martin upstairs or buy him out. Expensive, and with three years left on the guy’s contract, that too would have seemed bad form.

• habs03 says:

I believe the story with Jim Nill is that his kids are in school in the area and he wants to spend as much time as possible with them, but they are graduating very soon..

• LA Loyalist says:

Could? We may well lose Muller AND Cunneyworth following up Boucher.

I’ve decided it’s all a fiendish plot to maximize posts to H(abs)IO.

59. cournoyer12 says:

Montreal fans are simply jealous of Boston because theyre in it, and we’re not Le Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

60. Hobie Hansen says:

It is pretty amazing how the Bruins have walked the line and gotten away with numerous violations over the regular season and into the playoffs.

Giving the crowd the finger, spraying water on fans, smashing people face first into a beam, punching people in the face after the final buzzer in the third multiple times, hits to the head….

• TomNickle says:

That isn’t walking the line Hobie, that’s pissing all over it. And with the league Patriarch keeping his hand on their shoulders it just goes to show that they became well aware a long time ago that they weren’t accountable to anyone. Which is why they’ve been pulling this crap for more than a year. They are policed by no one. When teams fight back and drop the gloves, they’re given instigator penalties. If you can’t fight them and the league won’t take action, they become bigger than the league itself, and that’s a product of Campbell’s desire for his son to have a Cup.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Gregory Campbell.

More likely, the NHL appears to want to use violence to sell the sport in the US. This may be because the two mostly influential members of the NHL board are the owners of the Bruins and Flyers.

Also, the American lawyers, who run the sport, have a natural affinity for thuggery. Bettman sounds like nothing more than a mafia lawyer.

• TomNickle says:

Jeremy Jacobs can surely influence GM and Board of Governors meetings. But they don’t need to sell the sport in Boston and this type of game doesn’t attract fans in their strongest southern market…..LA. Saying this is all being done, or not done as it were, because of the father son relationship is a stretch that’s unfair for me to point to. It is perfectly fair however for me to say that a former goon with allegiances to teams in the league running disciplinary action for the players and coaches is unacceptable. The inconsistency in handling of 29 teams and obvious favourtism toward one team are reason enough to go in a new direction. But nothing will happen until more is made of it through the media. Ron McLean, bless his half witted soul tried his best when the Campbell emails came out, but he needs some support.

• LA Loyalist says:

Ron McLean gets a bit of a pass as he damaged from having had to work with Grapes for so long, don’t you think?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree totally!

And unfortunately, that’s why I wouldn’t mind if montreal went out and signed a Thug!

The NHL is happy when it gains attention through dirtly plays, fights and controversary.

So if that’s the way its going be…we better have a couple hired guns to step in draw the brunt of the attention from the goons and dirty players from the other team.

I could do without fighting but I can’t sit there and watch the Habs get beat up and cheap shotted.

The NHL either has to clean up the game or montreal needs a couple goons….

• RJ says:

It has EVERYTHING to do with Gregory Campbell.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, it doesn’t set a good precedent.
      It’s a shame that the league hasn’t been tougher on them.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• secretdragonfly says:

Wonder what would happen if little Gregory got traded before the start of next season?

• Mike D says:

LOL – doubt that will happen. While he’s nothing special as an offensive player, 1.1mil for a bottom 6 guy with sandpaper in his game who can kill penalties well, be a good checker, drop them once in a while, and pot the occasional goal isn’t a bad deal. Especially when you consider the family ties.

Wonder if Boston will feel any obligation or pressure to give him an undeserved raise when his contract runs out? Wouldn’t it be hilarious if he was a highly sought-after FA after next season?

- Honestly yours

• Mike D says:

It’s completely ridiculous that a “professional” sports league can allow such a conflict of interest to even be possible.

Thing is though, most people don’t see the favouritism at work. A friend of mine is a huge Red Wings fan and knows his stuff when it comes to hockey, but when I brought this topic up to him, he said he didn’t think the Bruins were getting any advantages. I was baffled that a guy who knows hockey as well as he does would say that. I think we’re more aware of it cuz we’re Habs fans and because we’ve seen it first hand, we’re naturally more sensitive to spotting other occurences. On the other hand, I suppose an argument could also be made that we’re seeing something that isn’t there because of our fan-allegiance.

I doubt many (if any) of us had these same thoughts when little Greggy was playing for the Panthers though.

- Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

Anyone who bothers to tell me that I’m sensitive about it gets pointed in the direction of video clips showing Lucic cross checking Dominic Moore in the face(when Moore couldn’t see it coming), sucker punching Freddy Meyer(and even more appalling that the NHL rescinded the match penalty assessed to Lucic after the game). Julien wasn’t fined once all year for countless late game brawls when his team was losing. The list goes on and on.

• Mike D says:

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir my friend. I know the favouritism exists too, but showing non-partisan examples to someone is largely pointless if it falls on deaf ears.

- Honestly yours

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Cambell was sending emails to refs about his son when his son played in Florida.

• Mike D says:

Habsolutely:
            He sure was, but that got swept under the rug so fast you’d think Colin had leverage/influence/dirt on EVERYONE….the league, all the media outlets, etc. Thought it was gonna become a big scandal and 24 hours later it wasn’t even getting coverage.

- Honestly yours

A trip down memory lane lets us reflect on who we were, as well as who we are today. A great read that’s much more than just a concert review.

I had the good fortune to attend many of Lightfoot’s Massey Hall concerts. I also saw Dylan play at Massey Hall when he first went electric. His back-up band was the Hawks, the same group that played with Rompin’ Ronnie Hawkins.

• TommyB says:

The Hawks went on to become The Band if I am not mistaken. There’s a classic line in the film “The Last Waltz” where Band members talk about being recruited to play with Ronnie Hawkins back in the day. Hawkins told the boys “you won’t make much money, but you’ll get more ***** than you ever dreamed of.” Ah, the good old days of rock and roll with Canadian roots. Wonder if anyone ever said that to Bieber?

62. TomNickle says:

There won’t be fair supplementary discipline in the NHL until a former on-ice official is doing the job and is surrounded by other former officials instead of the position being held by a player who was a goon during his career and is surrounded by people looking to settle old scores(see Murphy and The Los Angeles Kings).

• GrimJim says:

That’s a good option. My first thought for a replacement for Campbell would be Paul Kelly, the former head of the NHLPA. Former prosecutor (excellent understanding of what a professional justice/disciplinary system should be), hockey savvy but not an obvious insider (less likely to protect the status quo), safety oriented (from his comments during his NHLPA stint) and no ties to an one organization. Of course, probably not a chance in hell under Bettman.

63. JayBee says:

The reffs will have their fingerprints all over this game.

64. Greg says:

Hey Boone,
    I thought that negotiations between Gauthier and Meehan re: Markov were supposed to be taking place “late this week”. Friday sounds about right. Any word on that?

65. since1988 says:

So do the Bruins get an advantage in the PowerPlay tonight by a large margin to keep Colin happy??

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    - Mathieu Darche

66. Mike D says:

WoooHooo!!!!! I can finally post again!!!!! Damn spam filters.

Mr. Boone – thank you for your assistance!

- Honestly yours

67. Mattyleg says:

So tonight we get to see if TB are one game better than the Habs!

And for those who say that because they are further in the series they are better than us, I say we could have beaten, with our eyes closed, any team they played. Pens? Caps? Been there, done that, against better versions of the two.

Beating the Bs is what counts, when comparing the teams.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. JohnBellyful says:

NEW YORK – Police are looking for a mugger who roughed up a senior citizen and stole his wallet and walker before fleeing down Second Street last night.
    Three men witnessed the assault and gave police a detailed account of what happened
    “The guy slapped him three times with his left hand and then shoved him to the ground as he pulled out the victim’s wallet. He was six-foot-two, white, with dark, shoulder-length hair, and wearing a Mets cap and leather jacket and blue jeans with holes in the knees,” said one of the witnesses at the scene.
    “Yeah, that’s right, and he had a scar on his right cheek, a ring in his left ear, and a tattoo of Albania on his neck,” said the second man.
    Both men, who declined to give their names, said the assailant ran with a limp until he was able to figure out how to use the walker. They also said he spoke with a heavy Orkney accent.
    The third witness couldn’t confirm the description provided by the other two, saying he was horrified to see the little old man drop a gum wrapper, in violation of the city’s anti-littering ordinance, which he drew to the attention of the police.
    “It was Dubble Bubble. Unfortunately, the wind blew it away before I could seize it for evidence,” said the man, who wouldn’t identify himself, saying NHL referees have no interest in seeing their names in the newspaper.

69. 44har48 says:

Oh good god…Pierre McGuire again. (sigh) The epitome of unprofessional journalism.

70. G-Man says:

GO BOLTS! Grind the bucking fruins into the ice!

If the Stanley Cup goes to a 7th game, it will be played on June 15th. That’s just a few days shy of the US Open, golf’s second major.

I love hockey, but a season that begins the first week of October and runs to the middle of June is a bit much.

Rumour of the day is that Manny Malhotra continues his remarkable recovery and will play at some point in the Final. Just having him in the face-off circle will be a bonus for Vancouver.

72. HalifaxHabs says:

If only Roloson could play a solid game tonight… he’s been so up and down this series.

73. Haligonian-Hab says:

GO TAMPA! MAB ON PP ONLY. Look to Moore for winner!

74. HabFanSince72 says:

Owen Sound lost in its tie-breaker against Kootenay. They had to play the game without their captain and their star attacker. Both were suffering from concussions sustained during the tournament.

Sounds like the kids are learning how to win.

The NHL has, by its actions (or inaction), made injuring opponents a part of the game. Shame on them.