Who are the real Canadiens?

We’ll take this version, eh?

1. HFX-HabFan says:

Very sneaky strategy by Laps to give us some momentum via the PK.

2. Keith says:

PK nails Kaleta good!

3. HOGGIE says:

good hustle by Pyatt,Miller’s vezina was not a fluke the guy is good

4. Danno says:

Pyatt can’t buy it!!!!!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

6. Johnny_D says:

Dammit how do we deserve Bob Cole ?!?

7. andrewberkshire says:

Who gets to be Spider-Man though? Pleks?

8. HOGGIE says:

national anthems boring tradition i wish they would take em out i wanna watch hockey not some random display of patriotism

9. Keith says:

Hope the good Habs show up tonight and not the evil twin.

10. zozotheclown says:

Its the goblin ears, tell spiderman to run

11. andrewberkshire says:

Especially Lecavalier? Not a chance. Stamkos is more mature at 20 than Lecavalier has ever been. He’s gotten so good so fast because he’s dedicated to becoming an elite player, and thus works his tail off with Gary Roberts every summer. St. Louis helps from a play making perspective, but from the games I’ve seen, their point totals are mutually beneficial, neither would be as good as the other.

12. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Moen has Cup experience and provides some of the “Grit” you speak of.  However; Moen does not have the skill set for 2nd line duties, not with the Habs, or any NHL team.

Ryan White has potential for bottom six duties in Habville and may even be a future upgrade to Moen, as he has grit, solid two way play, a right hand shot, and can take draws when necessary. Currently injured.  Keep in mind Ryan would be a bigger Cap hit playing with the big club than Halpern, Boyd, Pyatt, or Darche.

Shultz is just trying to find his way with the Dogs at this point. Not sure anyone could project his potential today.

Pax – happy to see him get an eventual call-up. Would prefer JM / PG wait a bit longer, at least until Pax is dominating not only the Dogs, but the entire AHL. Will he fill that glaring 2nd line hole and offer the Habs power forward skills? Maybe a huge leap, as we see players like Pouliot and Eller not even getting a sniff of 2nd line duties.

13. Danno says:

Do we? Will he?

Stay tuned…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

14. andrewberkshire says:

Who the *** is Mitch Peacock, and why does he look like Willem Dafoe.

15. Exit716 says:

Friedman asked him about Kaberle asking him to come to Toronto as a free agent, but Pleks said his heart was always in Montreal. Maybe this summer, Pleks can get Kaberle to come to Montreal.

16. topher5468 says:

We all know Gomez is not this bad, I think he will have a good performance tonight.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

17. scrowe21 says:

damn I just missed it..hope it gets put up on youtube or something

18. Cape Breton says:

I never heard of him until you said so, but he sure looked the type last nite in his  burraaaw with PK. THanks for the update.

19. topher5468 says:

Really liked it. Screw Kaberle, Pleks is ours

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

20. ShangaDoo says:

Man, I love Pleks. He’s such a down to earth guy. What a leader

“They say you can’t buy experience,and it’s really true.” -Carey Price

21. Mike Boone says:

Bogosian is not a goon.

22. Cape Breton says:

Right on buddy.

23. Cape Breton says:

Hey Ian,Another is  Yankee Stadium # 1  for being the center of the universe. I saw Derek Jeter and A-Rod and they clobbered Boston in a doubleheader. What a blast.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Well since Carey’s making him look like a senile fool he has to hang on to something.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

25. gmd says:

Feature on Plecks coming up on CBC

26. Cape Breton says:

Grapes is gonna bring it up though because he bad-mouthed PK last week. And this will make him feel justified. And Cherry loves feeling justified.

27. Exit716 says:

That Ron Wilson comment is classic.

I saw this up, so I posted this up top, before I saw it here.

24 Cups—Yes the forum was all of that. For me, it was the only place.
    It was the center of my home province and yes my country. It was the
    center of the universe, even mentioning the name, FORUM,brings goose

You are right there, Gary!!

30. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I remember going there for rock concerts, and it still felt like hockey. The Bell centre is a corporation’s dream, but the Forum was a hockey nest.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh he’ll likely get on it, you’d swear PK pulled a knife on the guy with some of the venom I’ve read since last night. Gloves are off, keep your guard up!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

24 Cups—Yes the forum was all of that. For me, it was the only place. It was the center of my home province and yes my country. It was the center of the universe, even mentioning the name, FORUM,brings goose bumps.

33. likehoy says:

BP had his shot for 4-5 games to start the season

he wasn’t great, but gomez and gionta weren’t shining lights either

maybe reunite them? I don’t know…

I’d like to see BP or eller play with pleks and AK

putting the little 3 back together.

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

34. likehoy says:

I’m not that big of a stamkos fan

He’s not overly physical, or defensively aware…I would pick crosby and ovechkin before stamkos…but stammer would prob be in the top 3 or 4 depending on malkin

I think what stamkos benefits the most is that he has veterans like st-louis and lecavalier to help him out

especially lecavalier who was a former first overall as well

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

35. Cape Breton says:

Referring to Mike Boone’s Over/Under re Coaches Corner on Luke Schenn’s fight. How about O/U re Cherry on PK’s supposedly late sucker punch last nite vs. Atlanta’s goon guy? In fact, the Atlanta broadcasters were comparing it to Avery’s cheapshot on the Edmonton guy a week or two ago.

36. Ayan_SB says:

Crosby is just on another level right now. And as much I love Stamkos, he doesn’t have a Marty St-Louis playing on his wing.

37. HOGGIE says:

i agree its been tried and its proven not to work time to move on

38. showey47 says:

As much as i like the guy,18 moens would be hard pressed to win 30 ahl games.

39. Barts says:

Love that Dave Hodge quote. Thanks for sharing. I grew up going to the Forum, and he captured the essence and importance of the building so well in that paragraph. One other thing I would’ve thrown in is the memory of those cold winter nights, the wind and snow whipping down the main and there were the glowing crossed hockey sticks, warm and inviting, and the air electric…miss that place.

Another poignant quote about the Habs from Hodge during the Centennial season that has always stuck with me:

“Never mind that other teams have been more successful in recent years, because there’s only one team that every team would like to become. It takes 100 years and it takes a certain feeling, beyond words spoken or written, to become.”

40. mrhabby says:

Crosby scrores 3 in a 4-1 win against the flames. The oven gets turned up another notch on sutters.

41. le_vrai_jacques says:

42. Willy the bum says:

It would be the same if the Habs were to Miller, then what?  Besides, we do have the home advantage.  When is the last time Habs lost on home ice? …oh, nevermind… let just win!

43. joeybarrie says:

How did we outscore Philly 5-3 between 2 games, and manage to beat Boston and Vancouver?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. mrhabby says:

My first game at the old Forum was against Pittsburgh . I don’t remember players names. Other games were Philly in 06/07, Buffalo, Boston, Vancouver , Hartford ,Calgary,Chicago, Washington, Rangers. The games were like an event like no other i have experienced..Bell Centre coming close.

I bought a blue seat from the old place when the Forum closed. I should have bought 2. The seat sits proudly in my basement beside TV..

45. christophurrr says:

great stuff. he totally nailed it. i had the pleasure of going there three times as a kid (Gretz and the kings, Leafs, a Russian team, can’t remember which).

great memories (despite the fact that i forget which russian team it was).

46. fun police says:

i disagree with your stanley cup formula.  brian burke has tried that very same thing with the leafs and they can’t even make the dance.  i’ll take tough skill like gionta and cammy any day.  18 moens wouldn’t win 30 games in the nhl. i do agree with pax and white playing, but at the expense of who?

47. jbroderi says:

for success tonight, we just need to stick to the same blue print as last night’s game.  If Price can hold the fort for the first 30 minutes, Buffalo will fall completely asleep with boredom and we can throw a few in the net.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

48. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Time for the LITMUS TEST:   Is BUFF fast? yes…. are they dirty goons? no….

Result: Habs have a very high probability of winning tonight…. yes its that simple.

1:The N.A.G. (North American Grit) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2: Give me 18 MOENS and I’ll give you the Stanley Cup. 3. ..call up WHITE/SHULTZ/PAX now.

49. habsruleworld says:

Mike Boone

While the Riders are weight training and Banged up Barrin simpson and other lineman practice cold ice bath therapy coupled with warm jacuzzi therapy,

The allouettes have nothing. Literally speaking!! not even a meeting room to fit the Team!

Brian Chiu said yesterday, how much Football players are creatures of Habit, and the CFL dropped the ball.

Unfair advantage rules are guarded against in  all sports, except the CLF We guess.

As Cohon slaps himself on the back, and the CFL goes out of their way to accomodate and make life grand for the Riders,,,

I say not too quick Cohon still alot of work to be done,

Let’s start with the blatantly rotten, BORDERING heavily on corrupt CFL officiating.

Carey Price gets a shut out!  and yeah still upset about yesterday’s habs game, abandonniong of Auld,

“And then there was the Montreal Forum, which felt like the home of the Stanley Cup, and was our overwhelming Hodgemail winner. It was a place to behold when it was empty. It smelled like hockey — the apple-red seats seemed freshly-painted for every game, and the ice glistened like no other. And when the Forum filled up and the hot dogs were steaming and the sounds of hockey came in two languages — you felt more than glad to be there — you felt privileged. In saying goodbye to the Forum during a TSN broadcast of the final game in March of 1996, I had the feeling that hockey would never be the same. But surely no arena was ever that important to the game, or maybe the Montreal Forum was.”

Dave Hodge discussing some of his favourite arenas from the past.

51. JD_ says:

Well, that wasn’t even close. Rouge et Or romp to victory.

Gotta stop lettin’ the guys at Team 990 fill my head with possibilities.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Why I hate MTL’s road trips through the sunbelt, OHL teams have better ice than they do.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

One of the things I did notice, even though I had a head full of whiskey last night, is there was this grizzly old dude in the stands first row behind the bench who looked like he’d rather be watching fishing or bowling.

The other thing was the ice, if you want to call it that, was sluggish to say the least.

54. Robert L says:

There are in the same boat as many similar franchise, in that they have to make a good playing showing, win a round, to have something to build. I totally agree with you, if this doesn’t happen soon.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

The long-term implications of what those signings would have done to the roster is the question though, how long does ownership with a half-full building sink money into the team? I can’t see ATL spending to the cap and having 7-9 million sunk into a single player would have likely upset the team balance a little.

I just don’t see a real future in the franchise anymore than I believe Dale Tallon will make something out of the Panthers.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

56. Robert L says:

It’s tough to say, they were willing to sign Kovalchuk and Hossa long term. The trick will be to make players want to stay there by building a promising team. That starts with good extension to Kane and Bogosian in a year or so.

57. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re still in NSH territory, they won’t be able to afford their talent long-term because of their lousy financial status. They’re improved with what CHI sent them but how long some of that talent stays there is another story, wouldn’t be the first time they had to give up players to afford their internal budget with Ladd, Byfuglien and Bogosian as RFAs next summer.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

58. Robert L says:

Habs looked like they played their game in a packed shopping mall!

I have to give a nod to Tom Nickle, who last season pointed out what a good GM Rick Dudley would be for whoever signed him. Very astute signings over thesummer. Atlanta is not done improving.

59. sidhu says:

From TSN, our projected lines for tonight:

Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Gionta
    Cammalleri – Gomez – Moen
    Pyatt – Halpern – Lapierre
    Pouliot – Eller – Darche

Personally, I think Benny and Eller should be getting more ice time, they compete and forecheck like nobody’s business.  I don’t know why Benny isn’t playing a top-six role — he is a scorer, not a checker.  He played well with Gomez and Gio last season.  I think Benny’s stock slipped big time in the playoffs, when JM took him off the top six and has kept it that way since.

60. yathehabsrule says:

I did something less frustrating and did some shopping in a packed mall . Nearly got me knee taken out by someone pushing her kids stroller.

But like atraffic accident, I watched the replay on GameCenter…I want my two hours back!

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

61. yathehabsrule says:

The Sabres graded for us by Mike Harrington (Buffalo News)

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

After reading last nights comments I am glad that:

a) I went to a poker game last night, barely watched the game and certainly didn’t participate in the HIO commentary mental breakdown

b) I came home 100$ richer