Ugly!

The Canadiens hadn’t given up more than five goals in a game this season.

Tonight: Eight.

They can’t play wide-open hockey.

And they were out-gooned.

1,249 Comments

1. Cool Ice Price says:

The only time I smoke is when the Habs lose … LOL

2. Wayne says:

Emery’s not that good anyway. Ottawa squandered those fat years of great teams but never had anyone decent between the pipes.

3. Gormdog says:

I listen to him muck it up with Melnyk every day after work on the drive home…

It really grinds my gears the way he bashes the Halak deal… He keeps saying we should have held on to him, and traded him at this upcoming deadline… “maximize assets” as he puts it…

Several factors go into how off, and, annoying his analysis is:

1. Take a look at Halak’s numbers right now. Take a look at the fact that there are talented goalies (see Emery, Ray) out there willing to work for peanuts. Who is he to say we would get more? I’m pretty sure “sell high” is the way to go in cases like these. What would we get now for Halak and his “gives up 4 goals a game” trend of late? (yes, i realize St louis has injuries, but no Markov and no Gorges yet Carey still has stellar numbers)

2. Is there nothing to be said for Carey Price? And how well he’s played? It is supremely clear that Price is thriving in the role of #1, that platooning with another talented youngster was NOT the way to go. Now that you see the results, Halak “had” to go. Keeping around on the roster until now clearly would have hindered Price. He learned his lesson last year, watching the ECF run.

3. His claims to know “two GM’s who needed goalies who never got a call from PG before the Eller deal”. First of all, I question Mcguires ability to discern who needs goalies. He was talking about how bad of a fit Price would be upon getting drafted, and cited how great Huet and Theodore were. Fail! Secondly, just because they got no call before the Eller deal, does not mean the teams had not previously spoken. If, in talks, Gauthier gets offered a 4th round pick and nothing more for Halak… Why would he go pull his hair out to negotiate when the opponents undervalue the asset? I agree it can come off lazy but everyone supposedly “knew” Halak was on the block. You dont think a team that valued his worth at, say, two first rounders, wouldn’t have taken the time to call PG?!?

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vLwX8CnLt0&feature=related – nuff’ said.

I tip my golf hat to Mark Recchi.  What a wonder at 43.

5. jbroderi says:

Be nice to see the power play get back on track tonight.  If they can get Thomas flopping around early and get in his grill, we might get him off his game.

I still think I would rather see defensive help at the deadline.  Sure, I would take a big winger, but I think if this team is going to have play-off success, we are going to need a step up from some of the wingers. We can count on Cammy, Gomer (maybe), pleks and Gionta.  We just need AK, Eller, MaxPac and/or pouliot to step up.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

6. heartandgoal says:

Drop the puck already.

7. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

No thanks.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

8. likehoy says:

laffs trade beauchemin back to anaheim..

Cue in RDS saying how we could have traded lars seller for beauchemin.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

9. InGaineyWeTrust says:

Biggest game of the season. No question, no argument.

Doesn’t matter who is and isn’t playing for either team tonight. This is a game that both teams NEED to have. Whoever’s in better be up to playing their best game of the season. There isn’t a better night for it tonight. This is the game that you earn your paycheque in.

Four hours to game time and I’ve already been waiting two days too long for this. Bring it on already. I already need a pacemaker and guys are just tucking in for their catnap. C’mon now, this ain’t right.

Go big or go home. This is where we find out just what kind of a team this team is. If there’s a defining point to this season, this is it.

10. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Amen brother. Gut check time!

Wear’em down and frustrate them, then let them beat themselves like they usually do against the Habs. But we gotta come out to play to make that happen!

11. Hockey Socks says:

Remember when Pierre McGuire was hammering the Canadiens for not acquiring Beauchemin two summers ago?

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Part 2 of my examination of Pierre Gauthier’s first year as GM.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. RJB says:

Patches hat trick, I’m feeling it!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo Baggins

14. Desi says:

LOL — “Puck drops when Rene Rancourt finishes ‘singing…'”

That may be the first time that quotation marks have made me laugh out loud!

You are so right, Boone.  I’ll be at this game tonight and will bring earplugs for Rancourt’s crooning.

Let’s hope the Bs play as badly as he sings.  Dogs howl all over downtown Boston every time they play a

home game here.  I feel sorry for the local residents!

15. SLYDER says:

beauchimen sucks

16. arcosenate says:

What about the Halak vs. Price rivalry?

Just joking.

Nice to win this one, stay in their brains…

17. Gormdog says:

That being said…. I bet you he would do a pretty decent job with the Sens if he got the chance. Although I feel like I’m in the minority!

18. DearyLeary says:

Yeah, I defy Pierre to find a better return for a goalie.  Goalie markets are always iffy, not just last year.

19. Jdub1985 says:

Boone: it’s ducks/kings btw … but who cares

20. avatar_58 says:

The grim reality is, and I say this as a big goalie fan, only an idiot would pay top dollar for a goaltender in todays NHL. There are so many young rookies that are NHL ready, older “still got it” goalies like Roloson/Sanford/Raycroft and guys Emery/Nabokov that are wildcards. All willing to work for next to nothing.

About the 20th transaction:

The significance of letting Boucher go is over-looked IMO and too often slagged rather than appreciated. I’ve also noticed that the integration of call-ups has been much more fluid because of the coaching change in Hamilton. Long term it appears at any rate that the Habs are building a complete development system, and one that is on the same page from the top to the bottom.

22. likehoy says:

I gotta say that although gomez is overpaid, I’m glad we didn’t end up with chris drury.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

23. matraque says:

Can’t wait for René Rancourt fist pump!

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

24. Wayne says:

Puck drops when René Rancourt finishes “singing”, about 7:10

I caught that. He’s absolutely horrendous and his little arm wag at the end makes me wanna shit!

Throw in Redden and ask yourself how Sather keeps his job after taking three called strikes.

Is the game on TSN by any chance? Taking my little one to grandma’s for dinner but grandma only has basic cable.

27. avatar_58 says:

I wouldn’t mind Kaberle, but I am going to be pissed if they give up prospects. Especially since he’s unrestricted next year. I have news for you Gauthier – this isn’t the year. Not with this lack of scoring and major injuries on defense. Kaberle won’t automatically solve this. Don’t mortgage the future.

Same goes for Philips.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m right on board with you there.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. Wayne says:

Chris Nilan is 53? Wow, thought he was older than that… he’s only 4 years older than me… that’s nuts.

30. Chuck says:

^ ^ ^ Hmm… I’ll have to try that. I’ll let you know how it works out.  😉

31. Wayne says:

“Cause RDS thinks Beauchemin can front the new edition of Offenbach, too.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m always in favour of theft in a trade but I don’t think Burke is going to be the Best Buy security guard that believes we’re taking a 65″ LCD for cleaning.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. avatar_58 says:

If you had a decent team (ie one that doesn’t sit there and allow 60 shots on their tender ala the habs) would you pay 5mil for Halak or .5-1 for Emery? A smart GM goes with Emery and spends the rest on forwards/defense.

However if the goalie MUST stand on his head then yeah – Halak all the way.

But let’s face it – other teams aren’t like the habs and understand the goalie can’t play the whole game himself. Ask philly how much their AHL goalie is hurting them.

34. Wayne says:

It’s “otherworldly”, really.

35. Wayne says:

Hope PG stands pat ATM ’cause the Habs aren’t ripe for a deep run…. Simple.

36. avatar_58 says:

That being said – if Gauthier could somehow fleece Burke into taking St. Denis or Carle plus a 2nd for Kaberle….

37. kevin m says:

We all remember what we got for ROY when he was traded in 1995

38. Big Ted says:

We’ve seen so many hits like the Paille one over the past few years, some of which have been punished and some of which have been ignored by the league’s so-called disciplinary committee. The fact is that this is exactly the type of hit the NHL wants to get out of the game: a guy leaving his feet and targeting the head of a player who can’t clearly see where the hit is coming from. I think it’s greta that the commentators agreed that was the case and I think it’s even better news that a guy like Ference had the courage to stand up and tell it like it was. I’m sure Paille’s seen the hit on replay himself, so for him to come out saying he made shoulder-to-shoulder contact is absurd. And for Shawn Thornton to have come rushing in after the incident trying to start a fight with a Dallas Star’s player who was just standing there was just as ludicrous. Players like Paille and Thornton haven’t learned anything in the least about what it is to have respect for an opponent. CFL and NFL football players play the game hard, but if a guy goes down, you don’t see everyone fighting about it; rather, you see guys huddling and praying together for his safety. Now I’m not saying we need to see that in the NHL, but at the end of the day, NFL players seem to show that they respect their opponents and the physical suffering they all go through to play the game at such a high level.

When Crosby came out against Steckel, I was among those who questioned why he had such a double standard, and frankly, although I agree with Sid, his words wer empty knowing that he had said little when it was his own teammate who had bene the one targeting heads. Obviously, Cooke still hasn’t learned because he was just suspended again for a dirty hit; the league hasn’t learned because 4 games isn’t a serious enough punishment for a repeat offender; and Crosby hasn’t learned because where is he now to comment on his teammate running someone into the boards from behind? I realize Ference’s comments go against the unwritten code of showing a united team front, and maybe he should have waited until after the suspension was decided upon so as not to make things worse for his teammate, but the fact remains that players have not altered the way they play after seeing concussed players speaking out nor after seeing 3-4 game suspensions for such hits. Ference’s comments have at least sparked some discussion and maybe this will be an extra step that makes Paille think twice the next time he tries to line someone up.

As for Cherry, for a guy who so vehemently opposes touch-up icing and supports improvements in equipment, his comments are once again misplaced and potentially harmful. Cherry should be encouraging players to take a stand against these types of hits and as Ference said, show that their position is not dependent on whether the culprit is one’s teammate or not. If that’s what it takes, then safety should come before everything else and players making those hits should realize a guy like Ference is being a better teammate by trying to protect all players in the league. Paille, on the other hand, made a dangerous hit that, having watched two of his teammates suffer through major concussion issues of late, he should have known was illegal. And that to me, means he made a selfish play, following through on his hit despite the risk of suspension. Any way you look at it, that makes Ference the better teammate than Paille or Thornton, and it certainly shows some responsibility to the players, the game, and kids who are playing the sport and idolizing the guys in the NHL. Cherry on the other hand has shown he has no place being on the air.

39. darcy1 says:

Yes, TSN

——————-
    ”If you’ve only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It’ll seem like forever. ” Pat Foley (Blackhawks broadcaster)

40. PeterD says:

Yes…on TSN

41. darcy1 says:

You sure about that? he sure got fleeced on the kessel deal

——————-

42. darcy1 says:

——————-

43. jbroderi says:

bravo!!

You made several good points.  You correctly criticized the double standard that can exist between players, teammates and others, you pointed out how blatantly incoherent the NHL is in its punishments, and you said that Don Cherry shouldn’t be on the air.

I agree fully!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Very good post, 100% agree.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

45. RGM says:

On Crosby, he said this the day after the Cooke on Savard hit:
    “At some point there’s got to be a clear indication from the league because we’ve seen this so many times now,” Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said. “You don’t like to see anyone, their own teammate or an opposing player, lay on the ice like that. That was scary.”

Was it an epic diatribe about it? No but too many people say that he was silent until it was him. It’s just not true.

As to where he is now, he’s in Nova Scotia convalescing from his own concussion and isn’t doing any interviews. He can’t do much of anything because the symptoms are still so strong. He can’t work out. He can’t fly. He can’t get on the ice. Chances are he probably can’t do much in the way of speaking to reporters to dish the latest opinions on his scumbag of a teammate.

46. topher5468 says:

Mr Boone, Im not disagreeing about the Rivalry but the islander/Ranger rivalry is a pretty damn good one IMO, Having grown up in NY i know it first hand and 2, I believe Ryder lit us up in the Playoffs one year, maybe your not counting playoffs.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

47. jbroderi says:

hahaha

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

48. thebigguy says:

On whether or not Gauthier should stand pat, consider this. Will our team be better next year than it is this year? Are we a team on our way up or down?

PK, Pacioretty, Plek, Price, Weber (if we don’t trade him) and Pouliot are all players who are expected to continue to improve. Our forwards are largely set for next season it’s our defence that’s going to have a huge turnover. Personally, I’d be open to trading Weber for a more experienced D, especially with the hope we could sign htem next year.

49. Mr.Hazard says:

Would it be going out on a limb to say this game will depend a lot on the goaltending?

50. VancouverHab says:

Don Cherry disagrees with you on this point — maybe he’s correct and you are wrong.

51. christophor says:

It takes a long time for players to get used to JM’s style so rentals just don’t make sense. If at all, then not deadline rentals (see Moore and Wiz), so they have time to fit in a bit better.

A similar case is what happened last year in NJ with Kovalchuk. The trade hurt them in the short run, not in total talent, but in how the team played as a whole. I think in the end they might be better for it if Lou can reconfigure around or incorporate Kovalchik (though people have been ragging on NJ all year as doomed for a decade – not so).

No deadline trade makes sense unless what’s coming back is staying and will be a benefit in the long run.

52. Wayne says:

Thanks, back to therapy for me.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Beauchemin would be the perfect D partner for Markov.

Yes, asking him to be the top guy is a recipe for disaster. But asking him to play Bad Cop, if paired with a believable Good Cop, will work.

54. HabFanSince72 says:

Kubina for Exelby

55. Cool Ice Price says:

I stayed home from bowling to watch my Habs tonight. When I have to go out I always PVR the game. But most times when I PVR it the Habs usally lose & I don’t want the Habs to lose tonight.

SO LETS GO HABS ….

LET’S KICK SOME BROON A$$ …

56. Rugger says:

I’m for standing pat unless we can get this season help for draft picks or AHL players that wouldn’t in all probability not become a Hab (i.e. Carle).  Nor likely to happen, so stay the course (Damn I hated when Bush said that)

57. Ayan_SB says:

Unlike the Boston/Montreal rivalry though, the Islanders/Rangers rivalry isn’t relevant anymore, in large part “thanks to” Mike Milbury.

58. Wayne says:

Shirley MaClaine agrees with you so you might be onto something.

59. rhino514 says:

Don´t agree about Weber. He is a weakness on defence and always will be -a below average nhl defenceman.  He´s a good fill-in which is what he´s doing now, but he won´t crack the top 6 next year. Heck he won´t crack it this year if they go out and get another defenceman.

60. Wayne says:

…. and don’t go to the dep for smokes either, you stay put.

61. jbroderi says:

Don Cherry hasn’t been correct for decades.

I watched a PeeWee hockey game the other night before my rec league.  The kids can barely make a tape to tape pass, but they are all going for the big hit.  I think the culture has to change.  I know that hockey is a tough game, but that boat only floats so far when there are kids losing their ability to function in normal life because they kept their head down.  It’s their fault though, you know, playing a man’s game!!  It is getting too serious to brush under the rug any more.  What happened to hitting a guy to remove him from the puck?

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

62. Mr.Hazard says:

Surely you must be joking!

63. topher5468 says:

You are right about the relevancy in the standings but trust me, it still matters to the fans. I live with it everyday. I don’t know why Mike Millbury still has a job in Hockey, hes like a shock jock, he only there because he’s got a big mouth

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

64. Wayne says:

Habs better go on the attack quick, hard and fast or prepare to weather the initial storm. They’ve been getting burned for 1 or 2 goal with their tepid starts lately.

65. SeriousFan09 says:
    Claude Julien on RDS: Good guy. He’s done a good job in Boston.

Except for managing the worst playoff collapse in 35 years of course.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

66. Wayne says:

I Shirley am…

67. VancouverHab says:

Except Don Cherry is no advocate of PeeWee hitting — and said not three weeks ago that kids through Jnr should ignore their coach if he tells them to block shots & they aren’t comfortable doing it.

68. jbroderi says:

the don cherry comment stands on its own, the rest is just my opinions.  I don’t know where Don stands on the things i mentioned

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB