Trade winds

Writing for the TSN web site, Darren Dreger predicts a brisk round of trades before and during the draft.

Dreger says San Jose, Florida and Carolina are looking to deal, with names such as Patrick Marleau. Olli Jokinen and Erik Cole in the mix.

Pierre McGuire was making similar predictions on the Team 990 this afternoon. McGuire says the draft will be a barnburner, not so much for the juniors selected as for NHL players being swapped.

McGuire also said the Canadiens probably don’t have the depth to put together a package that would persuade Jacques Martin to send Jokinen to Montreal.

Boo-hoo!

Trade winds

Canadiens figure in two of the deals projected by Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated.

I like one of them.

Can you guess which?

I would include Christopher Higgins in a package only if it brought Olli Jokinen to Montreal.

•  •  •

Today’s Journal de Montréal says the aborted (for now) Wade Redden trade would have brought Patrick Marleau AND Matt Carle to Ottawa.

That’s a bit far-fetched, no?

1. obrien says:

Chips before d agositini.

I, Like many poster, would like to have Chips dressed and Slowlinski benched with Dandy and Breezbois.

O Byrne is going to be dressed, that is music to my ears.

2. obrien says:

Dandy and Begin have no trade value… To trade them will probably cost US some draft picks as well…

As much as I like Begin, he has lost a step or two in the last two year. Used to be our best PK guy…

Sorry guys but the only one that has some trade value is Huet.

3. likehoy says:

well in another positive way. His -16 outstrips ryders -25 and koivu’s -20 from last season. He plays for a weak edmonton team, much weaker than montreal’s. Faceoffs is a stat that can’t be really argued with, and there’s no secret in gainey wanting a competent faceoff man.

4. showey47 says:

yeah i can see dandy being moved. Can’t see getting much in return other than a pick, but it would be a good salary dump since he is also under contract for next season for $1.75 million.

5. Ian G Cobb says:

Met up with some of the gang that was in Mtl Summit. Wonderful time with them. But the game was brutal and the drive home was much worse. Were still not sure if we took the 416 to the 401 or if we were going across country fields. All i know is that the road was nowhere to be found.!

6. G-Man says:

Ah, Florida Sun and the trade winds are blowing in off the Caribbean. I’m thinking a team will want Dandy for depth, and perhaps Begin so we can bring up one of the young guys like D’Agostini.

Gilbert

7. nightmare_49 says:

Stats are great when you use them in a positive way but also tell us about his +/- which was -16 last year and is -16 this year.

8. N.B.habs fan says:

Postie Jim,welcome to the biggest habs fan site around,and if you are a friend of Ians than everyone will like you on here.

9. nightmare_49 says:

Ian – What’s wrong with Cape Bretoners , i’ve worked there and love the people. How was your trip to The Capital.

10. likehoy says:

danny markov wanted 4 mil+ a season. don’t think his stance has changed.

11. tony d says:

Hey Teach
    some of the best recipients of my middle finger drive tractor trailers and damn Greyhound buses

12. Guy21 says:

Nobody in their right mind would trade for Hossa by giving up Higgins , O’Byrne and a draft pick.How does he make the Habs any tougher.He is a perennial playoff bust….no way Jose…
    Besides a real trade is never known ahead of time….just foolishness to keep us posters busy….
    Any players like Shane Corson in the NHL today-boy could we use such a player.

GO HABS GO

13. tony d says:

Stoll for Ryder, giddy up, I’ll take some of that
    as far as the Ollie J wish list, as sweet as that would be, I don’t think it’s gonna happen…..unless Monkeys can fly out of Bob’s backside.
    fyi, had to laugh, just read that the Leafs held a skills competition this morn…. a bit of an oxymoron no?
    thought you needed skills to hold a competition like that….obviously not.
    Go Habs Go

14. sidhu says:

What’s the story with Danny Markov? Is there a possibility a team may take a shot at him for the remainder of the season, or is he committed to playing in Russia for 07-08?

15. MikeMcLaren says:

Why do people refer to Higgins as the future captain of the Canadiens?

Exhibit A: Current captain is Saku Koivu. Alternate captains are Alex Kovalev and Chris Higgins. Two of those fellas are a little older than the third.

Exhibit B: Although the “New NHL” lets the media interview players DURING THE GAME they still haven’t let us into the locker room at crucial times. I think that in this area, from what we’ve been told, Higgins is a leader.

Exhibit C: EVERYONE says he’s the “future captain” so can’t you just accept that? Geeez! {wink}

Exhibit D: He and his dad are HABS fans! Despite hailing from Long Island, Higgy’s a habs fan just like you and me. C’mon, that’s just cool and unusual. It’s something that you can’t just brush aside though. I don’t think it would be fair to trade someone hailed as the future captain, someone who bleeds bleu, blanc et rouge. I just don’t. Same reason Crosby should be playing for us!

Really though, he’s a complete package. I think that the current captain and the other alternate captain have gone through slumps in their career.

I guess another question is why isn’t Komisarek the future captain? Hard to say, but I think it might go to Exhibit B from above.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

16. nightmare_49 says:

24 Cups – The Oilers have a gang of young skilled forwards which most of them play center and Stoll has been in the doghouse since last years meltdown. Stoll can be 3rd line center and also play the right point on the PP (2nd unit). Stortini and Carbo????. The Hossa deal would be nice if he signs ahead but i wouldn’t give up what their saying and i’m down on Higgy now and i adore two way hockey players but he’s begining to be a head case , i’d sqwash that deal. The San Jose deal is all Ottawa media BS as they try to keep up with the Sundin BS. Matt Carle and Marc-Edouard Vlasic are not playing nearly as good as last year but i wouldn’t trade Carle heads up for Redden and forget about Marlow being added though the Sens are looking for a 2nd line center to take the pressure off the top line. Sharks GM Doug Wilson is under a lot of pressure to win the Cup and he’ll be active but he’s not stupid.

17. likehoy says:

daniel alfredsson was a perennial playoff bust…until last year. Players can hit their strides in the playoffs when least expected.

18. The Teacher says:

Sure! But it keeps the trade rumour posts on this page!

19. showey47 says:

and he is paired with harry neale to boot. But the guy who does the tampa bay lightnig is probably the worst of all time. Even worse than the hnic homers

20. The Teacher says:

Most of those driving those tractor trailers and those damn Greyhound buses have no respect for the others on the road. I know from personal experience from the many times I drove back and forth from MTL to Ottawa when attending Ottawa U for two years. When it’s snowy, slow the $%^#$^ down.

21. likehoy says:

I think some things we have to take into consideration with Ryder for Stoll is that Stoll has been relatively productive since the lockout, and he can play the point. I wouldn’t suggest employing a 5 forward powerplay unit all the time (although Carolina does it from time to time) but it gives us an option. At any rate, he would fit nicely beside hamrlik unlike brisebois.

A telling individual stat that stoll can be credited to is that he’d be our best faceoff man at 54.7%, ranked 11th, while koivu is ranked 25th at 53.2%. That alone should tempt Gainey to make the trade. Leadership, scoring, big shot, defensive-awareness, faceoffs. If that’s not a Gainey/Carbo player, I don’t know what is.

22. postie jim says:

Hi everybody in habland.First time posting.Good friend of ian cobb did the driving up to ottawa.Met some other hab fans at local pub and had agreat time.DD thanks again for tickets and nice meeting the rest of u.Just wish it was a better outcome for us.For me the best time of the nite was when they were introducing our players before the game and all the hab fans were cheering.My take on the game was that we just did,nt show up and the other team won all the battles.The return of alfie did,nt help.Huet also was not on his game.I hope that guy driving that tractortrailer that passed me on 416 coming home wasn,t one of u hab fans.CHOW for now.

23. sidhu says:

I would not trade for Hossa unless we can be assured (somehow) that he will sign with us in the off-season. In any case, I think Higgins, OB, and a 1st is too high of a price. I’d be more comfortable trading Fischer (a former 1st rounder for us who reportedly has been struggling) instead of OB.

Instead of the Stoll deal, I would send Ryder and a 3rd round pick for Chris Gratton and Andre Roy. Doing both would give us something like:

AK46-Pleks-Kovalev
    SK74-Koivu-Hossa
    Lats-Gratton-Smoke
    Roy/Begin/Max/Kosto

Markov-Komi
    Hammer-OB
    Cube-Streit

24. 1010 says:

I would never make the Hossa deal without knowing for certain that he would sign in Montreal. Ryder for Stoll: now that’s a possibility.

GO HABS.

25. nick says:

I like the MTL / Edm trade, not as impressed with the MTL / Atl trade.

I feel that the only way Gainey would sign over O’Byrne, Higgins and a 2008 pick is either if Hossa signs immediately long term (not sure if thats possible), or if tehy have some kind of assurance that he’s here long term. Lets face it, it doesn’t make sence to get rid of part of the MTL future for a rental player. Considering how conservative Bob is… i don’t see it happening if we’re only getting Hossa for the rest of the season.

What a bunch of nonsence, none of this is credible.!!!

27. teamplayer says:

what is san jose doing with carle? he was having a horrible season i think he may have even been scratched (not sure) but either way then they sign him to a nice extension and now they want to trade him?

all these rumours just get me going and none of them end up being true, why do i read them then? I dunno can someone get this ball rolling so we can talk about real that stuff. Hey forsberg feel free to sign with somebody anytime now, whats he doing visiting every city and then decides whether or not to cross them off his list?

on another note: malkin loves showing how good he is only when he knows crosby cant do it all, they will both never be hot at the sametime

Mike – I’m assuming you prefer the Edmonton deal. I’m not sure why they would want to do that seeing that Horcoff is gone for the year and they will need Stoll at centre plus Stoll is a RFA and Ryder is UFA. How does that help the Oliers? They can have Ryder for Stortini and a mid level pick.

Hossa? Only if he’s going to agree to a long term contract ahead of time. By the way, I don’t understand why guys on this site refer to Higgins as a future captain of the Habs. I think that once Koivu goes you would have to consider Komi ahead of Higgins. When it’s time to stand up and be counted and lead by example Komi wins the race hands down in my eyes.

San Jose. This is wild. Carle just signed long term and to throw Marleau in would make this deal suicidal for the Sharks. And why would Ottawa want to take on Marleau’s salary for another two years? They also have to resign Meszaros.

The Original 24 Cups

29. Yeats says:

You’re spot on. If Hossa is not locked up, you would be crazy unless you think you have a really, really good chance at taking home the hardware with him. You can’t make a deal under the assumption that he will sign with your team.

30. Ian G Cobb says:

Tommy, I would have prefered to hang out with you guys after but Postie Jim had comitments in the morning. We will have a few at the Hamilton Summit

31. ClaytonM says:

By the way, here’s a question. Why would any GM trade for Hossa? Not only does he have a reputation of folding in the playoffs, but he’s a UFA this summer. Why not wait until July 1st and make an offer then? Getting the player beforehand didn’t help the Islanders sign Smyth, did it?

32. Ian G Cobb says:

It was interesting, Postie Jim’s white knuckles were embedded into the steering wheel.

33. Ian G Cobb says:

First I’ve heard of it,what happened? pile up in front of the net? what?

34. MikeL says:

I want Olli Jokinen. There are only a handful of centers in the league that can score goals like he can. Sundin and Lecavlier come to mind. I’d trade anybody not named Price, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Kovalev, Markov or Komisarek to get him.

35. Chuck says:

On top of that, in calling the Sabres go-ahead goal against a clearly distracted Panthers team, Buffalo’s play-by-play announcer sounded like they had just won the Stanley Cup. Not exactly classy.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

36. Ali says:

thank you!!! until last year the things being said about Hossa now were being said about Alfie and Spezza.

You have to remember that the Senators as a whole sucked in the playoffs when Hossa was there, he wasn’t the only one.

37. P St. Pierre says:

The other thing about the Ryder for Stoll deal is that if he likes Edmonton and decides to sign there, the Canadiens won’t have to worry about him morphing back into his old self and haunting them. He’ll be safely in the western conference.

Timo – The only problem is that you have no one to replace Smolinski with this year (maybe Chipchura). By the way, you and Teach/Timo can add Boullion to your list of guys that are signed for next year and will not be around for a Cup run.

The Original 24 Cups

39. likehoy says:

that’s not why we traded ribeiro??

40. showey47 says:

We could put a zamboni in the race also but it would be interesting who would finish third between lats and perreault.

41. showey47 says:

i would not make this trade, sure hossa has put up numbers with atlanta playing with kovalchuk,slava kozlov and formerly with marc savard. But can he do it here playing with koivu and whoever is playing left wing? Under the pressure of playing in montreal?

Another question would be, would trading higgy affect his best friend komi willingness to play here when he is a free agent after next season. Just a couple of things to consider. I see either higgy or komi as our captain and assistant captain after koivu retires or traded.

42. Wencz says:

Finished the game after he poured blood onto the ice and had to be rushed into surgery. I’m disgusted that his teammates had to keep playing. Shameful.

43. Habs-Kat says:

I feel like crying :(

44. sidhu says:

Thoughts and prayers with Zed and his family. Classy move by the Buffalo fans to give Zed a standing ovation on hearing news that he’s in stable condition.

45. Revolution No. 9 says:

Obviously, the Ryder trade would be great (for both teams, I think). But I’d also do the Hossa trade as well. While Higgins is having a miserable year and will rebound, he isn’t going to be more than 60 point guy with a career year of 70, no matter how much he wants to be the 80 point guy.

For sure we don’t want Hossa as a rental, I wouldn’t give up Higgsy for that but if we could agree to a long term deal with Hossa, I’d do it. I know we had his brother in here for a while but I think this one is a Hossa different colour (oh yeah, I went there).

46. Wencz says:

Scary stuff out of Buffalo. Zednik took a skate to his neck and had to undergo surgery… they say he is in stable condition:

47. howtathor says:

I think Max Pacioretty will be an excellent winger for Higgy and Koivu. He seems to have the finish and the hustle that would give opposing lines fits. So maybe we stand pat this year, do our best and build for the future. Sooner or later the likes of Mcdonagh, Valentenko, Yemelin, Carle, Webber, Subban, Fischer, Stejskal (man, are we deep) will be patrolling our blueline with Pacioretty, White, Chipchura, Wyman, Maxwell, Fortier and who know’s maybe even Trotter will be filling the net with rubber.

48. howtathor says:

I think it’s imperative that we get someone to jump start the Koivu line. As has been stated, Ryder may have a glorious career elsewhere but has really hit a wall in Montreal. I don’t think he is in a place mentally to overcome this slump. No confidence. That being said, I would give up almost anyone to get someone of Hossa or Jokinen’s caliber except of course Komi, Higgy, Markov, Kovy, Pleks, AK46 and Koivu. The rest of the team is fair game as is Hamilton, Cincinatti and wherever else within reason.

49. Wencz says:

I’m beginning to wonder if Ryder will get traded, unless management is sure he won’t resign. Although he hasn’t had a good year, he is a proven 30+ goal scorer who is still very young and would now command much less in contract talks. He played hard on Sat and was one of the only bright spots for the Habs. There’s no reason to think he’ll remain in this slump forever.

P.S. I’m not his mother.

50. howtathor says:

Maybe a buyout? Waivers? He only has less than a mill on the remaining of his salary. Speaking of buyouts, Brisbois please! Bob is going to have to get rid of some of this dead weight if we’re ever going to go over the top.

51. cournoyer12 says:

Still think Gainry may look to Los Angeles or Edmonton for help, if he decides to deal.

52. Andrea says:

so there is no way that I would put higgins in a package for hossa. I am really not a fan of Hossa, he is a -14 and s a chocker in the playoffs. we need a veteran who would lead the team in the playoffs. I would only trade higgins if we would get a elite player. a veteran who was a leader in the stanlycup playoffs or even a leader with their country.

53. nightmare_49 says:

Well you all made it home in one piece , that’s what’s important and the game was no better on the tube. So Ian is in to cross country , interesting. I only did that to get to the pub and it was clear sleding after that.

54. P St. Pierre says:

Like some of the posters below, I agree that Ryder for Stoll would be an awesome trade. The Canadiens lost way too many faceoffs last night and it hurt their time of possession. Stoll is excellent in the faceoff circle, has a gritty style, and also has a booming shot. I think he’d be great for the third line. It is unfortunate that Smolinski isn’t winning the important draws, as he was the player Gainey targeted to get that job done. Now he has a no-trade clause and will be very hard to move.

55. nightmare_49 says:

True their seemed to be some interest 2 years ago but he was available this summer and the Habs didn’t bite. Maybe you just want to see Yannick and Lats in a sprint race.lol.

56. The Teacher says:

Well, He does play with Kovalchuk if I’m not mistaken, so he might have less defencive support.

57. The Teacher says:

Very good post Timo.

At this point, the Canadiens should realize that they have enough depth at the 3rd and fourth line positions to relieve themselves of some depth.

You have to realize that Smolinski has a no-trade clause so he is going nowhere if he doesn’t agree. And would you ask and risk of having him bring sub-par effort and screw with the team chemistry?

Dandy is a tad over-paid so it will be hard to move him. He has improved his play dramatically from last year at forward and isn’t playing that bad.

Begin is the one who has slipped IMO. He hasn’t been the same since he was injured last year. I love the guy but he might get us a decent return if we were to deal him.

However, depth is good in the playoffs, so you have to weigh the matter heavily.

Ryder…Everyone knows my opinion.

58. nightmare_49 says:

Detroit is 1st in most departments and did you ever see a team trade a good center cuz he was bad on faceoffs. As i said faceoffs are important but overstated.

59. Bean says:

Yes, a scary accident with Jokinen!

Last report, he’s at the hospital and apparently in stable condition.

It’s impossible to get back into the game after seeing something like this. My heart was in my throat from the safety of my sofa, I can only wonder what the guys on the ice feel like.

MM – I judge people by what they do not what they say. Right now, Higgins hits singles, Komisarek hits home runs. Time will tell.

The Original 24 Cups

61. TommyB says:

I’ve come to the conclusion that there will be no trade…at least no “major” trade to speak of.

I fell for the “Ryder is sitting to ensure he does not get injured, as he is being included in a deal along with [insert player here] to [insert team here], for [insert incoming player here]“!

Well Ryder played last night, or at least he was in uniform and did take a skate or two around the ice. So, so much for that ruse.

62. likehoy says:

I’m sure ryder can unblock…but maybe not with us.

Theodore and Ribeiro looked to be having fine seasons…so a change of scenery might be what the doctor ordered for ryder.

hate to see him go though.

63. likehoy says:

stoll is a competent offensive forward.

I agree gainey was deflecting matters, but I believe keeping possession of the puck is important and winning a face-off becomes increasingly important per game and situation. Detroit 1st in the league, playing a possession type hockey, have 3 players in the top 12 faceoff men (draper 1st in the league), which contributes to them keeping possession of the puck. Winning face-offs cannot be overlooked…If you lose a faceoff on the power play, that’s 10 seconds wasted.

aside from koivu, none of our forwards are over 50%.

we are rumoured to be interested in yannick perreault too…i much rather have jarret stoll than yanick…at least stoll can still play hockey.

64. habsnyc says:

look around, Higgins is a regular season bust or does one even strength goal in is last 28 games on the first line count as superstardom?

65. TommyB says:

Ian, that’s why we went back to the pub and waited for this morning to head home. Well, I don’t mean we stayed in the pub until this morning….or did we?

Anyway, glad you two got home safely.

66. habitual says:

Who is this SI guy, saying Hossa is one of the best two way players in the game? Hossa is -14. HA!

67. sidhu says:

Oh yeah, Corson or Gilmour….

68. showey47 says:

sorry but i disagree, hockey is a puck posession game and puck posession begins with faceoffs. Detroit is considered the best puck posession team in the league and lead the league in faceoff percentage. Faceoffs are a very important part of the game

69. likehoy says:

guys zednik just got his throat cut in the florida game. lets hope he’s okay

70. Ian G Cobb says:

Postie Jim– Glad to have you on board. I’ve known for sometime that you read this site, but it is great that you have joined ,”The put in your 2 cent worth group”. This is a great bunch of people on here, if you need a hand with anything, just ask ! they will help, even if you do come from Cape Breaton.

Look forward to what you have to say. IAN

71. nightmare_49 says:

Faceoffs are important but not in a major way , Gainey in his lone press conference used faceoffs that weren’t good at the time and he stressed that cuz he wanted to deflect other issues that may of come up and it worked. Saku and Ryder are offensive forwards while Stoll is a two way forward that is not expected to put up big numbers but should be aware defensively. That’s all on that cuz i read last nights posts.

72. Yeats says:

OK, I’m at a loss, where is the supposed scandal? I could have been a violation of team rules for all you know. The coach of Denver one year suspended a guy who scored the winning goal in the semi-finals of the NCAA Championship for the final game for such a transgression. You have provided no concrete examples from NCAA D-1 hockey. Your whole second paragraph is just a bunch of assertions. Believe me, the institutions that have good hockey programs are far too strong academically to be “tainted” by some hockey scandal. Trying to get into a good university in the States is so competitive today, it would take more than one of these alledged scandals to hurt their application figures. Schools that I considered “safety” schools when I applied most kids would be happy to be wait listed by. “there are no shortage of rumours going around concerning “touchy” situations.” Rumours unfortunately are not facts. And, yes, I do know something about these schools. Two of my college classmates are on the verge of copping their respective parties nominations for the Presidency of the United States. That has never before happened in our history. Also, I have worked and played pickup hockey with many guys who have played NCAA D-1 hockey and have been extremely successful in their chosen carrers.

73. cournoyer12 says:

He probably didnt want to wind up teaching or something. There are big bucks in sports, eh.

74. TommyB says:

yeats, I went to the D-1 game at Niagara Friday night and stopped into the coach’s office following the game. I asked about Trotter, and was told that whatever made him decide to turn pro with 3 weeks to go in their season is definitely a very private matter and no one is talking. Obviously, a team’s leading scorer dropping out of the program at such a late date in the season is pretty much unheard of. The one thing my friend was able to tell me, was that Denver’s loss is definitely Montreal’s gain.

I am surprised at the number of experts on the NCAA hockey program that have jumped up here on HIO today. Brian, you and I both know how rigid the rules are for these college players, both academically and representitively, of their schools. You’re right Brian…but you put it a lot more diplomatically than I would. ( Talking out of their bums )

75. The Teacher says:

Sorry Yeats. You might be talking about half of them. The scandals at many universities prove just the opposite.

Ivy league schools, sure. Many others, not so. The schools which have hockey programs are noted for their stress on academics, I will give you that.

I wasn’t comparing it to Major Junior believe me. And I wasn’t specifically referring to Higgins as my shadow seems to indicate.

76. Yeats says:

The coach at the University of Denver is a real hard ass though. I couldn’t believe it when he suspended that player in the NCAA Championship that year. I think they still won, if I remember correctly, but that took brass ones.

Also, I caught Max Pacs last night against #1 ranked Miami, after I threw in the towel on the Habs. He had two last night and three over the course of the weekend. He’s going to make it. They beat Miami 4-2 Friday night and tied 5-5 last night, both games in Oxford, Ohio. Michigan will be ranked #1 when the new polls come out.

Yes, I was being diplomatic. I mean how can you argue with someone that having a 3.2 GPA and staying in scholl is a dumb decision when you are being thrown silly money to play hockey. There is a nice piece in the Sunday New York Times business section about Mark Fusco who played at Harvard with his brother and won the Hobey Baker Trophey. He’s the CEO of a software firm now. Yea, I bet he was a specialist at finding “gut” courses.

77. showey47 says:

isn’t there ncaa guidelines that you have to attend classes and maintian certian academic standards in order to compete for school teams?

78. The Teacher says:

LMAO, guess you’ve never heard of NCAA football or basketball. Those guidelines are a joke.

Pretty easy to maintain a high GPA when you take “Surfing” courses!

79. Yeats says:

You really are talking out of you bum with gusto tonight. Those guys do have to attend class and keep up their grades, especially at the Ivy League schools which do not grant athletic scholarships. (Sure, they do get financial aid, but then pretty much all students in those schools do.) Do you have any, I mean any, idea how many of those guys get degrees and end up working on Wall Street at top- notch firms? Unlike those dudes who opt to play major junior up in your neck of the woods, they have much better alternative job opportunites than driving the Molson truck.

80. likehoy says:

you’ve got to be kidding me? GPA 3.2 and he dropped out to play hockey? With a GPA like that I would have finished my degree first. Hockey should always come second…if Higgins was doing that well he would have finished off his schooling for sure. I read in the Gazette this past year that while he was visiting an elementary school, he refused to tell kids to stay in school because he didn’t want to be a hypocrite cause school isn’t for everyone, as it wasn’t for him.

I’m going to do some reserach on it.

But as Teacher said, there a heady amount of college scandals that are kept quiet…

Higgins must have met the minimum requirements which is usually a 2.3…and You really don’t have to attend class depending your program choice.

81. Yeats says:

Look at the top hockey schools in the U.S. For the most part, they are also fabulous academic institutions. Not just the Ivies. You’re not going to skate academically at a place like Michigan or Boston College for four years. Hell, if you play for RPI, you’re studying to be an engineer. Top firms actually seek these guys out because they know the commitment involved in playing D-1 hockey and getting a degree. Sure, some of the NCAA D-1 guys will bolt before graduating, but they should. If some team is going to throw stupid money at you, why would you risk getting injured. You can always go back to school. I think Mike Richter went back to do graduate work at Yale after his career was over. Also, the coaching in NCAA D-1 for the most part blows major junior away. Remember, you can’t coach an NCAA team unless you yourself have a degree, no exceptions.

82. Yeats says:

See my post above. The economics of leaving early is pretty cut and dry. You don’t have to be Alan Greenspan to figure it out. There are very few guys from their graduating classes at Yale or Michigan who are making the coin Higgins or Komisarek are making. QED

83. The Teacher says:

I think I didn’t state my opinion clearly. I was referring more to NCAA Football and Basketball, not hockey.

Apparently you can’t teach in Quebec unless you have a degree either. But I for one know that it is complete horse-crap and a disgrace.

84. Yeats says:

Forgive me, but aren’t scandals by their very nature public? Also, just throwing that term around without giving specific examples is nonsense. The truth is there are very few scandals in NCAA D-1 hockey. Go ahead cite some for me.

85. likehoy says:

well then my mistake, if scandals are meant for public, then I surely have used the wrong word. Pardon me. But if you wish to discover a scandal, Brock Trotter. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story/?ID=229219&hubname=nhl-canadiens . Here’s a lead, I’ll let you go hunting for easter eggs.

At any rate, there is no blind eye turned towards “academic interventions” from schools to keep their reputation amongst the elite. All schools, let alone universities, go through situations where they cannot afford to release telling information that could taint their reputation as an elite school. I’m not sure how far removed you are from your schooling, and/or my senior…but I’ve gone to private schools, and am now attending a university…and know that there are no shortage of rumours going around concerning “touchy” situations. Some schools just do it better than others.

86. howtathor says:

I wonder what happened with Brock Trotter. To leave the U of D team as the leading scrorer and now in Hamilton? Just what we need, another 5’10 center LOL.

O’Byrne and Tom the Bomb for……

The Original 24 Cups

88. likehoy says:

lets get rid of grabovski while we’re at it…sergei kostitsyn has proved to be twice as good.

89. nick says:

i wonder what will be a bigger surprise…

1- Bob Gainey making a trade NOBODY foresaw.
    2- Bob Gainey doesn’t make any moves before the deadline.
    3- Bob Gainey makes the moves the papers are all talking about (Hossa, Stoll)

I’m going with #3.

90. The Teacher says:

The Jarret Stoll for Michael Ryder is a lot more likely than any of the other two IMO, but it has been around for more than a year.

Yes the Marleau, Carle for Redden is a TAD far fetched.

91. Yeats says:

Man, to go from a future captain of the Montreal Canadiens to an Atlanta Thrasher. Except for the dough involved, I’d just go back to Yale and get my degree.

92. likehoy says:

he never went to class…only reason he was there was to play hockey. Probably wouldn’t be re-admitted if he stopped his playing career.

93. likehoy says:

very interesting article I stumbled upon. I think we should all enjoy the read. As teacher previously mentiond…financial aid is given and they put a nice spin to it.

” While coaches do their best to remind potential students that the school promises to meet 100 percent of their demonstrated financial need” (par 6 line 2-4).

Obviously the spin of the story points towards Yale, but it was good to know Higgins really wanted to go to Yale.

94. Mr.Hazard says:

OTTAWA IS A MONSTER

Ex nihilo nihil fit

95. Xtanstic says:

Montreal sends Michael Ryder to Edmonton for Jarrett Stoll
    “With less expected of him offensively, Stoll could concentrate on being the strong, shutdown presence that Montreal desperately needs for the third line.”

Oh yeah, I mean, if there’s one type of centreman we do need, is a third-fourth line shutdown guy, what with Begin, Smolinsky, Lapierre, Chipchura… That one line blows the credibility of his article out of the water.

96. Yeats says:

The Habs have so many shutdown guys right now, they keep shutting themselves down. Please find someone who can find the back of the net without benefit of electronic instruments, please.

97. I am Canadien says:

I wouldn’t give up on Higgins. He is in the play most games, but just not quite “there” yet. His work ethic is better the n Ryder’s. Ryder for Stoll; let’s do it! At least Stoll works hard!

$$$

98. stephen says:

I have tried and tried, and tried some more, to give Smolinski the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t think anyone can honestly suggest he is fulfilling a shutdown role. So what IS he doing?

I can’t recall if it was someone around these parts who brought this up, but Chris Gratton has been suggested as an alternative for the checking line centre. After checking to ensure that Gratton WAS, in fact, still playing in the NHL (is it me, or does it seem like he has been around, but NOT around, for ages?), it suddenly didn’t seem like such a bad proposition.

I especially like the size he would bring. He couldn’t possibly cost very much either.

Any thoughts?

99. ClaytonM says:

As much as I’d like to see Hossa on Koivu’s RW, giving up on Higgins and O’Byrne seems a high price to pay unless we can be assured Hossa will be here for at least 5 or so years. Hossa is 29 and is at his peak right now. Higgins is only 24, O’Byrne 23, so they have a lot of hockey left in them, and will continue to mature for the next 3-5 years.

Personally if Higgins is having problems scoring on Koivu’s LW, I’d prefer he gets demoted to the 3rd line for the rest of the season, but to play at C. He’s our best 2 way player and can provide a 3rd line with some offensive punch. Have him play with any 2 wingers and let’s see what they can do. He’d be better than Lapierre, who has disappeared once again into a comfort zone. Get him working on face-offs regularly with the coaches, let him know it’s not so much a demotion as having him groomed as one of our future leaders, and give him Ryder and a utility player for wingers.

Giving O’Byrne away for perhaps a rental player in Hossa is the kind of trade our Montreal media would love to hang Gainey with in years to come. If you think he gets too much flak now, imagine a trade reminiscient of Savard for Chelios on his record.

As for Ryder/Stoll, I don’t see this happening. Ryder’s in a slump and so is unattractive. Stoll is someone who would provide what Higgins can as I mentioned above, a 2 way center, but he has a history of concussion problems. Besides, if they decide to trade Ryder it will be for a RW to play on Koivu’s line. Hopefully.

100. obrien says:

This Hossa package is too expansive. It is probably what they are asking, but there is no way we will pay this price. Plus, the whole point of Hossa is to have a decent 2nd line, and I don’t see at this point who would be the LW beside Higgins. Not Tender. Not SK74.

Can you imagine having these lines:
    AK46, Plek, Kovy
    Higgins, Koivu, Hossa,
    Tender, Max, SK74

Add to this a nice Top Four Physical D (what O Byrne would be in a year or 2) and we would have a very dangerous team.

Hopefully, they can settle for less than this…

If that doesn’t go through, Stoll to Ryder would be quite nice!

Finally, it’s too bad we can’t get rid of our “garbage”: Smolinski, Dandy and Brisebois. Anyone knows how many games Brisebois has to play to get his 700k bonus. That would be 700k less under the cap, and although I like the 700k price tag at the beg of year, 1.4M seems like wasted money.

101. Chuck says:

A trade rumour thread! We should be over 100 posts before dinner time!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

102. Yeats says:

We’re just one big deal away from #25. I don’t know what it is, but I’m sure it’s gonna be a cracker. Getzlaf for dinner and a movie in Montreal!

103. Ed says:

Boone, you must be some bored when you give us a link to some writer’s speculation as to trades that could happen. As for me personally, I prefer to read Spector. His analysis of rumored trades is based on common sense and logic, not on trade winds or fairy dreams.

104. Yeats says:

Unfortunately, none of those three lines was the one that needed to be neutralized last night.

105. teamplayer says:

hey guys talking about people predicting trades here is one from the hockey news in the latest edition by Ken Campbell: here is the link – http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=242897983 , copy and paste then go to page 26.

Here is the deal though: montreal gets jarret stoll
    and edmonton gets chiphura and S. kostitsyn, im not a big fan of this trade, would like to keep kosts.

tp – that deal is nuts. I wouldn’t do it in a million years.

The Original 24 Cups

107. nick says:

Sounds like something T.O. would have done not too long ago.

108. teamplayer says:

Senators and Hurricanes just made a 4-player trade

corvo and eaves for commodore and stillman

just heard it on the radio and here is link from tsn http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229406&hubname=

109. Dan23 says:

A good trade for Ottawa in my opinion and it spells real trouble for the Habs’ remaining games against the Senators. I think the ‘Canes managed to shake their team up, but overall I think Ottawa helped itself more than Carolina did.

I have to say I’m kind of surprised that we’re seeing movement of any significance as we approach the deadline – I figured it would be the quietest deadline in NHL history.

110. HabsProf says:

I like the Stoll/Ryder deal, for no other reason than the fact that there really is no more space on the top two lines. We have too many developing young scorers not to consider such a swap.

Also, Ryder is UFA after this season, but Stoll is only RFA. He is currently making about 2.2MM. He might want a raise, but after a down season he will probably bow to the inevitable. We are spending 2MM on Smolinski and 3MM for Ryder, so I don’t see the big problem. A one or two year deal lets Chipchura develop a little longer.