Total suckitude

The Canadiens played their worst game of the season against a tough, physical, up-and-coming team.

Three more against Atlanta.

Ain’t none of them going to be easy.

1. Les-Habitants says:

This makes me happy.

But the sad thing is they are still gonna beat us for as long as Brodeur is in nets.  The guy puts aside the sticks he plans on using when he plays the Habs!!  It’s NOT FAIR!!!

2. Chorske says:

I wouldn’t even go there. Talk about a black hole in the locker room, always asking for love and attention. Urgh. The thought of it makes me nauseous.

I really like the way this team has found its chemistry. I see no reason to regress or to look to the recent, not-so-pleasant past for reinforcement. In fact, I see tons of evidence that turning that page has been awesome for the whole team.

Andrew – I see it both ways which I think is the crux of the dilemma that G&G (and Hab fans) face.

A short term deal is best but as JD stated, Markov has to look after Markov.  There’s also the new CBA to consider which may or may not help the situation.  A sticky wicket, indeed.

4. MikeMcLaren says:

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

5. Former Jets Fan says:

Off-topic, but a big “Ha-Ha!” to the Devils, who are so bad, they’ve been shut-out by the lowly Islanders.  Yes, the
    Islanders, they of the finally-snapped 14 game losing streak.  Somewhere, members of the
    1980-1981 Winnipeg Jets are readying to uncork the champagne, as their
    epic 30 game winless streak will live at least another year in the
    record books ;)

6. Bugs says:

You had heard of Eller before the trade, Berkie?

If he’s such a blue-chipper, I think I woulda heard of’m too, but you’re absolutely right: my ignorance isn’t a good supporting argument.

I cannot deny that his work ethic on the ice as well as his courage is beyond reproach. His vision is also very enticing. Hopefully, his production will reflect that at some time to the point where he gives equal value for what we gave up for’m.

7. Chorske says:

Steve, if there was a like button, I’d be clicking it frantically

8. Chorske says:

Madness. MADNESS.

This is like saying, MAN, that Jackson Pollock, what a gifted artist, let’s invite him into our house and pay him to not paint and act mercurial and fly planes and shit. Screw that. I am done with sitting around waiting for someone to choose to express their so-called greatness. It was fun while it lasted, and adieu.

This koveylove is a pathology.

And: “one of the most talented players ever to play the game”?? Maybe a few years ago. Not any more.

Sorry, Bugs, the house cleaning is complete and we’re not taking Kovy back for even the league minimum.  I realize he’s one of your favs, but G&G didn’t take us this far to then turn around and go back down the road from which we came.

10. jbroderi says:

if he was my agent I’d tell him to shut the hell up

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

11. Les-Habitants says:

No, he doesn’t fit in with the work hard, defensive mentality that JM has implemented.  I loved L’Artiste, but I don’t know if he’d make us a better team at this point.  When he is on, he’s on…but he is so maddeningly inconsistent!

Conversely, what about bringing back Koivu to be our 3rd line center?  If the Ducks were looking to shop, he’d be affordable enough and it’d give us a great option down the middle.  He is still tops in the leagues in terms of faceoff %, has really good hands and has been one of the Ducks’ better forwards.  It’d also be awesome to have him retire as a Hab.

12. WarHero says:

As much as a love the guy, no way, unless his contrat included a clause stating that he could be released for sucking and playing with no heart.

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Live Blog & HockeyBuzz

13. MikeL says:

Not a chance.

He is the complete opposite to what Martin and the current Habs lineup now represents.

14. sholi2000.com says:

Walsh screwed Halak big time with his tweets.  You don’t mess around with management, it’s a sure fire way to get outta Dodge!

Then again, odds are Halak was leaving town no matter what.

I’ll take the Bigger Younger Canadian Kid any day.

Like Scotty Bowman said “Don’t trade Price”.

They Call Me Shane

15. Chorske says:

Feck no.

I have moved on. So long, thanks for being in my life. DOn’t call me, I’ll call you.

Why? Why? I don’t get it.

16. Robert L says:

Oh I was just trying to make you smile Mike, I know what an acronym is!

17. MikeL says:

Good points. Not to mention potentially losing Hamrlik this year.

18. andrewberkshire says:

Hope that’s a joke. Kovalev did nothing to deserve a jersey retirement.

19. fuhgawz says:

Habs should retire #27 to the rafters.  Bring Kovy back to retire !!! get it done PG

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Although I’m obviously a fan, I have a hard time seeing where he would fit in at 38 years of age.

21. notbigbird says:

If you’re still here, which I doubt since we’re on page 2, I say I see your point, but it’s an alternate scenario. I’m just saying, given what happened and what is the present reality, what I presented is a reasonable way to look at it. If it had gone down differently, there would be another way, perhaps yours, to look at the situation, and it would also be a perfectly legitimate viewpoint.

22. Max_a_million says:

1 year maybe … there is talent coming down the pipe fast and hard to take jobs at the top level.

Does Gomez, Kovalev, and Kostitsyn work as a line?

23. Da Hema says:

Bugzed: I’d pay Kovalev $2.75 million to stay away from this team….

You are travelling full throttle through fantasy land, my friend. Kovalev will never play another game for the Montreal Canadiens.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

24. Wayne says:

“SNAP”

Ok, my bad.

25. fuhgawz says:

Bugs — If it was only for Kovy to comeback and retire even i would say hell yes.  Then man BELONGS a hab always will be in my eyes.  This is where he should hang em up. !

26. TomNickle says:

Hey, it’s refreshing news when it happens, not of the every day variety.  But NHL franchises don’t appreciate taking orders publicly from a man who represents a tiny percentage of the league’s players.  And every time Walsh goes off on a tirade about his clients’ icetime, he’s crapping in the living rooms of the organizations for which his players play.  It may very well be good business for him in that more players will want a representative who goes to bat publicly for them, then again, if he continues down this path players will be hesitant to hire him because there will be teams who refuse to deal with him.

Either way, it shows a severe lack of class and etiquette to act like you know more about how to build a successful hockey team than the managers who have your client as an asset.

If you were a dairy farmer and a mason told the local media that you didn’t know what you were doing you would probably have a problem with that.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Unless he’ll sign for a million, no dice. Can’t invest too much in an aging enigma.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. andrewberkshire says:

No. Maybe for 600K.

29. punkster says:

Sigh…the 14 year olds on this site really elevate the discussion.

30. Former Jets Fan says:

No.  Next season (if not sooner), either MaxPax or our boy Benny (my choice) should have a firm handle on the final top-6 wing spot.

I might, however, be inclined to accept him for 4th line duty and patrolling the half-boards on the PP at, say, 1 million.

31. andrewberkshire says:

If what Walsh says on twitter was said in private instead, no one would hate him, because he’d just be a regular agent. Instead he airs dirty laundry publicly, so he’s a douche bag. No matter where he happens to have been born.

32. Da Hema says:

Good post. I think, though, the most difficult decision for Gauthier was already made: trading Halak. I am not certain re-signing Markov has all the risk that many posters suggest. One thing that hurt Markov over the past few years was the bullseye on his jersey–teams would forecheck him heavily to shut down the transition game, a rational strategy. That exposed him to higher probability of injury. That said, I have noticed since Subban became a regular that our opponents are no longer heavy forechecking to disrupt our defencemen–such a strategy is too risky now given how quickly Subban can move the puck our of our end. Indeed, I have observed when Subban gets the puck deep in our end that our opponents already begin retreating to prevent odd-man rushes. Subban has single-handedly changed our opponents’ strategies–the mark of a really good defenceman.

In short, the kind of team Markov would return to–were he re-signed–would be a different one. There would be less pressure on Markov now because the team has realised it can win without him. And there is evidence Markov will take a home-team discount, especially given his negotiations with the team for the current contract. I would sign him.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

33. sholi2000.com says:

He’s made himself look like an ass more than once on twitter.

They Call Me Shane

34. timkbryant says:

Unless he’s willing to come back for close to the minimum, no.

That ship has sailed.

35. fuhgawz says:

yes — PP time and 3rd line with Benny some top 6 time if needed …. cant be top 6 full time anymore i dont think he has enough speed.  But him on the PP …. always a thing of beauty.

36. The Teacher says:

Sigh, so misguided, so sadly misguided :(

37. HabFanSince72 says:

That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

38. Bugs says:

Yahoo, he was traded before he got his second pad off last game of the season. St.Louie was WAITIN. There was NOBODY else. His name was NEVER out there. There was NO auction.

Philly or Chicky or SJ (or whoever) couldn’t've or wouldn’t've antied up on ELLER? For a num 1 goalie???

I find that hard to believe. You may be right, Yahoo, but I personally find that hard to believe.

39. Bugs says:

The Artiste. Next year. 2.75-3mil. 1 year.

Yes or no?

40. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t understand this idea, why would you ever want a skilled fighter? If a guy is skilled, you want him on the ice, not in the penalty box. And a defenseman is the last person you want to fight, because you want 6 guys available as often as possibly.

41. twocents says:

You can eat whatever you like, but by my measure both jumps are about the same distance… unknown.

42. Bugs says:

Folks forget that the Artiste was inches away from re-signin. Heck, he didn’t get a penny more in Ottawa. His mistake. Shoulda fired his agent. Bad play. He woulda been captain. He was never as magical as he was here. Why? Cuz of the Love. Jagr said it “You want to motivate the Artiste, you show him Love.” Boom, that’s what we did and that’s what Ottawer refuses to do. So screw’em. Not our problem if they don’t get it. The guy is an artiste, you gotta treat’m like an artiste; it ain’t complicated. We know how to do that here. Take’m back next year in a second. (plus, the price has probably gone down)

As for the Markov Decision, question is: Can we win the Cup without’m? Yes or no?

43. HabFanSince72 says:

drop his gloves and stand up for a teammate

Fighting is no longer a relevant part of the game.

44. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t see it that way at all. I see it as Williams finally getting over his injury troubles, and for all we know Markov might also be through it after this as well. I think it’s far more risky to give up a player we know is brilliant in a Habs uniform, a well liked leader in the room, for two unknowns. I really don’t see it as a tough call, because any asset we give up in a trade isn’t as big of an asset as Andrei Markov. Letting him walk for nothing (impossible to trade him while he’s injured and a UFA), would be far more disastrous than if Markov gets injured again next year and we have to trade a few prospects and a pick for a replacement. I see Markov as being a high impact player for 8 more years, which is something I can’t say for any pick or prospect for sure, unless it’s a lottery pick.

45. andrewberkshire says:

The guy’s meaning was probably a bit more discernable in person.

46. Mike Boone says:

An acronym (pronounced AK-ruh-nihm, from Greek acro- in the sense of extreme or tip and onyma or name) is an abbreviation of several words in such a way that the abbreviation itself forms a pronounceable word. The word may already exist or it can be a new word. Webster’s cites SNAFU and radar, two terms of World War Two vintage, as examples of acronyms that were created.

Back to retirement with you, Robert.

47. mbplekfan says:

Hamrlik is a physical, bruising defenseman there is no doubt about that. But when idiots crash our crease and abuse our smaller players Hamrlik isnt going to drop his gloves and stand up for a teammate. We need a player with skills who can also fight a little. We currently only have one in Moen.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

Price stole that series against Boston

You, sir, have just outed yourself.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Olympic Titan? Where’s his medal? Oh right, it’s around Kiprusoff’s neck, the goalie from that Medal Game who didn’t blow a 3rd-period lead for his team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

50. secretdragonfly says:

Totally unrelated but on a lighter note, read about Guy Lafleur’s first car purchase.  Boy, those were the days.

51. Hockey Socks says:

I feel like Walsh is just like any other agent except he’s more up-front and public than most have been. He’s a pioneer of sorts. His job is to represent and protect his clients and that’s what he does. He’s not a coach, a player, or a GM. He can say what he wants because in the end he’s not directly related to the operation of the team. Agents always badger teams if their clients are unhappy. Personally, I like getting a glimpse into that side of hockey.

52. Bugs says:

Hear, bloody, hear, man.

53. habstrinifan says:

So many reason to have dumped Samsonov othe rthan his agent.

54. HabFanSince72 says:

Thanks Max. That’s another reason to like the guy. He’s playing for another team but he clearly  wishes he could still be a Hab.

55. andrewberkshire says:

Bugs, just because YOU didn’t know who Eller was, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a high profile player. Your own ignorance isn’t exactly a good argument to diminish the kid. Bottom line is Eller is a bluechipper, a future top 2 center on this team, and he was called the best european prospect not in the NHL last year.

56. fuhgawz says:

i just had a kovygasm man i miss the guy.  like some of the other posters i agree he was a treat to watch and one of the only reason to watch the habs a few years ago.  but hey …. i am liking our team now as well.

As far as Kovy goes i would take him on my team anyday.  even if i know he won’t show up for half of the games i know that when he would i would get to witness one of the most talented players ever to play the game do his thing like NO ONE else can.

Andrew – The Williams comparison basically states that you shouldn’t sign an injury prone player.  One year in four isn’t good enough for me, especially at the money Markov will command.  As well, being on LTIR really isn’t as positive a factor as people think.  It’s true you save the cap space, but where and HOW do you get the replacment?  It’s just like us right now.  There are no un-signed players to grab and if we make a trade we still giv e up asets in order to bring in the replacement player (now, or at the deadline).

We might be better off taking Markov’s 6-6.5M and sign two 3M UFAs.    It’s a very tough call.

58. andrewberkshire says:

That’s what I’m basing my argument on actually, Chris did an excellent job on that blog. We basically got an equal return to what Nashville got for Vokoun, only we got prospects instead of picks, who are more developed and more likely to make the NHL.

59. Max_a_million says:

He looks like a guy who through circumstance lost his love, and is left to carry on with a woman (team) he has no love for.  His heart is still in Montreal, and Ottawa paid too much for someone who will never give them his all.

60. Bill J says:

See your assuming about Price here.

1) YES Jaro wanted out, or he would have fired his agent for his remarks.  The fact that Walsh was STILL Jaro’s agent was quite telling.

2) At NO point did Price or his agent make a claim that he wanted out, as a matter of fact I know someone who IS close to Price, and I was told in a very clear fashion prior to him signing “Price wants to play in Montreal, he wants to prove it not only to the fans but to himself that he can play up to his expectations”

Price has not once hinted he was unhappy with Montreal.

61. Max_a_million says:

The GM business in signing at the deadline is not a black and white business.  Making an offer does not mean you will land a player, and a smart GM will cover his bases by negotiating on several fronts simultaneously.  There was no guarantee Gainey would or would not end up in anybody in particular.  One thing was for sure though, he had to end up with something decent, as he had jettisoned the previous roster.  Plus there will be some politics involved as well.  Komisarek deserved an offer.  Not doing so would be a slap in the face.  It may have been offer that they knew would be trumped by another team, but they will make an offer.  I think in Komisareks case they just decided on their max amount, and stood firm at that.

Anyhow it’s never as black and white as it is made out to be.

62. Max_a_million says:

I don’t know how you could say Hamrlik doesn’t play tough?  Is it because he doesn’t fight.

He is the Canadian defenceman who delivers the most hits, and the most bang for his hits.

He was all over LA with hits the other night, I remember counting four very effective checks on one shift.

63. Bugs says:

“We’ll never know.” ???

Oh, we’ll know. Sooner or later, we’ll know.

I give Eller 2 years, this year included, to pop 20-25 goals or 45-55pts a season. Either that, or the same period for Halak to go down like the Titanic.

If neither happens, I will be hoppin peeved.

And I can hop, baby.

64. Clay4bc says:

Did it ever occur to you that he was pissed that Jaro got traded, not that Carey is doing well?

It could be that, no?

As for me, I was (note the “was”, because that ship has sailed) pissed that Jaro got traded, but am ecstatic that Carey is playing lights-out hockey. See my point?

_________________________

Cross an evangelist with a hockey player, and get a puck that saves itself

65. Bugs says:

That’s because I don’t think it’s such a leap of logic to suggest we coulda gotten more in return for a playoff hero and Olympic titan than what we did, certainly not as big a leap as to foresee what the return’ll do 3-4 years into “the future” as other posters counter.

Perron, we know what we’re gettin. Pietrangelo, we know. Giroux, we know. Eller, never heard of’m. And for Halak, I think I should’ve.

Just my opinion. Maybe I’m completely wrong and Eller will quickly equal out. I want to eat crow, Deuce. Heck, I’ll even eat crow next year. I hope to eat it THIS year but I WILL eat it next year gladly too, I promise.

After next year, I ain’t eatin nothin. Bad deal.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t really know what the guy did to generate such vitriol in Montreal,

You realize he snubbed us for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

67. jbroderi says:

not dure, but maybe the F stands for fingerbang

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

68. HabFanSince72 says:

“Hard work beats talent, when talent isn’t working hard.”

Sounds like the Bruins’ motto.

69. andrewberkshire says:

Actually, it was at the beginning of November of last year, and Halak was starting most of the games up to that point, where he was benched for the entire month of November.

70. Robert L says:

My rant was just to state that there will never be evidence found, as it doesn’t exist.

According to Boyle, the Habs gained a decent return.

71. TomNickle says:

Except that it hasn’t happened just once, ask the Minnesota Wild.

72. HabFanSince72 says:

Fair enough.

I never asked anyone to deny anything (although a true fan should be like a lover: ignore the flaws that are plain for everyone to see).

What I’m objeting to is the people who can’t stop trashing the guy. You know – the types who would love to see Milan Lucic in a Hab uniform.

73. andrewberkshire says:

When considering Markov’s long term viability, I think it’s very important to look at a player like Justin Williams. Williams suffered multiple major knee injuries over 3 years, very similar to Markov, and although he’s younger than Markov, I don’t see any signs in Markov’s game of him being in decline, and I certainly don’t see any signs in his health that he’s not a good healer.

Most people thought Williams’ career was over, and now he’s healthy for the first time in 4 years, and over a point per game. Markov is about to turn 32, and I know many on this site like to think 32 is old for a hockey player, but let’s try to keep in mind the kind of game Andrei Markov plays. He’s a puck mover, not a puck skater like Subban. While his skating is strong, it’s not the most important part of his game, his vision and decision making is. Markov plays a similar, albeit less dominant, game to Nicklas Lidstrom, who at 40 has suffered little to no decline in his game because he can adapt to his limitations. I think Markov is the same kind of player, and if I was GM of the Canadiens, I would tell Markov to take his time, not to worry, and I’d sign him for the rest of his career to a cap his around 4 mil per, as you could knock down the years getting close to 40. It’s a low risk maneuver because he’s not over 35, and even if he does continue to be injury prone, LTIR is structured into the cap for that. The Flyers got away with being over 10 million over the cap due to LTIR for years, the Canadiens can bend the rules too.

74. Hockey Socks says:

I don’t like the Allan Walsh hate. I think he’s doing a lot of good things for the game – especially in terms of using social media. He made one mistake, that’s all. He wasn’t “driving a wedge” between anyone.

Maybe I’m biased because he’s a Chomedey boy like myself, but in general I feel like he’s a positive personality in the hockey world.