Total suckitude

The Canadiens played their worst game of the season against a tough, physical, up-and-coming team.

Three more against Atlanta.

Ain’t none of them going to be easy.

1. Bugs says:

Mastermindin might be a tad much; more like commandeering.

I think you might bo on to something with HIo posters over there…some of’em definitely sound familiar.

2. habstrinifan says:

I would be uncomfortable if we traded a player because of his agent.

3. twocents says:

Bugs, you’re always asking for verifiable return, yet your premise here hinges on a “could’ve”, which ain’t any better than the maybe’s, when’s and what if’s you like to dismiss.

It’s simply a matter of opinion until more water has flowed under the bridge. Little’s verifiable in this game but wins.

The rest all comes down to the perch you take your looks from.

4. Robert L says:

Completely. The Habs needed to lose Walsh big time, and I’d bet that behind close doors, or over the phone, he received quite the sermon on etiquette from Gainey and Gauthier.

5. Wayne says:

“Good For You”? Oh wait… forget it.

6. Hockey Socks says:

Congratulations to Hammer for having such a long, versatile NHL career. From being the Victor Hedman of his generation as the 1st-overall pick to becoming one of the best hard-hitting offensive defensemen in the league  to winning an Olympic gold medal and now a steady, smart veteran shutdown guy – Hamrlik has survived as one of the best in the world. Hope he wins a cup this year as a Hab. Hard to believe that last season was the deepest playoff run he’s been a part of.

Hope he gets his 600th tonight!

What do you know… Philly is bitching and moaning about disallowed goal in OT. What a bunch of sore losers. I have an acronym for Pronger and Richards – GFY!

8. TomNickle says:

It’s exactly what they did.  Look no further than the report that the Habs didn’t even get in touch with their camp to discuss contract numbers.

Walsh got his player booted out of Montreal.

9. iHeart Les Habitants says:

Thems are trolling words…

10. Robert L says:

Like Davidson of the Blues is going to name names in the first place! It’s just not done. The GM’s say all they have to say, and not a word more. JD isn’t going to see “we were offered Price first” or that they almost traded TJ Oshie or something.

Remember how badly the Lecavalier rumours that Lawton let slip two years ago buggered with Higgins and Plekanec, and how Gainey lambasted Lawton afterwards. GM’s use total discretion. They are obliged to, in respect to protecting their assets, and other GM’s concur on this unwritten rule. Otherwise, there would be uncontrollable backstabbing chaos going on, with managers seeking to hurt other organization.

Trade rumours are complete bullshit created to sell papers. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive and delusional.

11. Wayne says:

Has anybody given a thought that they may have traded Walsh as much as Jaro? Walsh made an attempt to be a distraction by driving a wedge between Price and Halak. I figure, after all the crap with the Brothers AK and Kovy a couple years back, management adopted a zero tolerance policy for internal and external forces not related to a clean room. Jaro having this twit by his side was almost certainly a liability stock-wise.

12. jbroderi says:

I hope not, because it’s that racket that screwed up price in the first place.  This is a one horse team.  I have faith in Auld to play a good 15 games this year, but always going with the hot hand in a situation like this seems like trying to fix what isn’t broke.  If Auld does play well, I think JM should think about using him a little more, for sure.

I wouldn’t say it won’t happen under any circumstances though.  If Price gets away from the basics for a few games, then a 2 or 3 game break might be therapeutic, but in the current situation, I would say no if I were JM.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

13. Bugs says:

Halak is sub-par? 10-4-2, .910, 3 SO. What’d I miss?

I like talent and I like Drama, Billy. I’ll admit to that, but if you then go and say I don’t support the Kid, then you don’t know me at all, sorry to say, and I would appreciate it if you didn’t spread “my views” about because you’re gettin’em all wrong.

14. andrewberkshire says:

Zero chance.

15. Bill J says:

If Garon sits after a shutout in Columbus in favor of Steve Mason.

You can bet Auld sits for the same reasons in favor of Carey Price.

We are no longer in the 2009-10 season….

16. habsruleworld says:

Bugs must be Troll, there are others here also.

Only here, pretending to be a fan, although saying blatantly controversial opinion that is not shared by the majority of fans.

Bugs = Troll, (oh and wants alot of attention,since does not get alot, must have very small peenus)

17. habsfan0 says:

If Auld stands on his head tonight,shutting out the Thrashers,any chance of him starting against Buffalo tomorrow night…or is that something that just won’t happen under any circumstances?

18. jbroderi says:

We can’t say who won this trade yet, so everyone who wants to hand out winners and losers might as well wait 2 or 3 seasons, because it may take that long to figure it out.  If PG and the scouts (I know there are issues there, but that isn’t my point) think that Eller and Schultz were enough, we have to take them at their word until we learn otherwise.  We can’t judge eller or shultz this year, so people have to stop worrying about it.  If we made a bad trade, we’ll deal with it, but until all the votes are in, maybe we should be talking about things that we can actually assess.

Maybe he could have gotten more, maybe not. We’ll never know, and for now, I’m OK with that.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

19. habsruleworld says:

you must not read much, and or pay attention to what the leading hockey insiders have said than right

Punkster you defended me way back when when people were calling me names. It’s what makes you such a stand up feller.

Maybe infantile is to harsh a word but Bugs’ POV lacks maturity and foresight. He looks at the trade in terms that Habs fans of lesser sophistication see it. There are more variables involved other than who’s where now. There are other realities such as salary cap and building a team from within. The Habs don’t have the luxury of picking players high up in the draft the way St. Louis did. If you want to look at it merely in terms of what have you done for me lately it’s pretty obvious. Eller is a prospect and a damn good one. Bugs mentality is the same one that has left our cupboards bare for almost two decades. I find this POV childish and immature and lacks sophistication. Bugs already got beat his azz kicked over this one and now is getting braver but he’s still wrong.

I have a keen eye for talent and the lack thereof. Was I not the 1st here to say Koivu must go? Was I not the 1st here to say Halak should be #1 last year? Here’s another HH prediction. Eller will be amazing. Better than Plex. Price will be outstanding, Way better than Halak. Bookmark this.

21. Bugs says:

Halak “wanted out” just as much as Price did when HE wasn’t playing, Smiley. Only difference is whose agent said what and how it was interpreted. Walsh didn’t say “My client wants out.” That’s how you’re interpretating it.

Furthermore, that was in DECEMBER, when he wasn’t playing. Unfairly so. Suddenly, and fairly, he was given the net. All the net. Which he won in.

But he STILL wanted to leave?

I find that odd because such was the situation he was looking for and thought he was entitled to. Once he got it, he still wanted to leave? Huh…

I don’t think that’s why “he’s out”, Smiley.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

You must have excellent surveillance on Pierre Gauthier to know that the Eller deal was the only one he was testing the waters on. Tons of trades are proposed each season that never see the light of day and the Canadiens were likely testing what they could get for Jaro or Carey as the year went on but at the end of the day, buyer’s market for goaltending is a buyer’s market and the Habs did what they had to do for the future.

We weren’t getting Claude Giroux, or a Top 10 pick.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. Bill J says:

For a guy who portrays himself as a smart man.  You really do not use your head sometimes eh ?

This was ALL explained in the summer, and I know you where present for it.

So let’s remind you one more time.

Jaroslav Halak was a RFA with Arbitration rights.

Whoever had his rights had a VERY short window to negotiate, as they MUST make a qualifying offer to the player in order to either A) enter into arbitration negotiations & B) secure the player’s rights.

Remember Boyd ?  Yeah he was a RFA too, but was not qualified, that is why when THAT trade happened, Boyd was actually a UFA when the Habs signed him.  He could have signed with ANY team.

Back to Jaro, the only reason the Habs got what they did, and not LESS – was because the trade was made early.

Anyways, not like I’m going to change your opinion.  I just prefer you are not allowed to poison the opinions of other posters on this site.

24. iHeart Les Habitants says:

New Avatar for the Kid – Glad he got his first goal and here’s looking to many more!

25. andrewberkshire says:

What evidence is there that we would have gotten more for Halak. Put up or shut up. You’ve been provided with a gluttony of evidence that the trade was above market value, yet you’re still going on about getting jobbed.

26. jbroderi says:

I was gettin my winter tires put on today, and the two guys working were talking about hockey.  They were both Canadiens “fans” and got to talking about how well carey price was playing, and how jaro is doing pretty well too.  I am paraphrasing, but one guy said ”  Yeah, Price has been awesome.  I gotta say, though, that I’m a bit pissed off because I was a jaro fan myself”  I thought the other guy was going to crap his pants by the look he gave the guy.

We have none of those fans on here, though!!  He basically wanted Price to fall on his face so he could have this big I told you so moment!!  What a douche.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

27. Bugs says:

Again, it takes balls’n’brains to accept the very first offer made two weeks before the draft? No WAY we woulda gotten more than Eller anywhere else so why bother trying to auction’m off? We had NOBODY other than Eller targeted? (that is, even if I CHOSE to believe such a thing?) C’mon, Deuce.

And fyi, I’m here because the Artiste’s return was mentioned. Got a radar for that kinda stuff. Ain’t my fault.

28. Bill J says:

About 99 times for every other vote for the other teams.

So a few more 😉 lol

29. Bill J says:

Yeah but then we would have Halak (and not Price anymore).

Halak the same guy who has shat his shorts on a few occasions already this season.

Scored on himself too…

Sometimes the trades are not to be judged solely on what we got in return, but how it affects the other players in the locker room.

All I know is, Price is stellar.  Jaro not so much. (this season)

30. DearyLeary says:

I think Jaro will be a good, to very good #1 in this league.  He’s getting used to the workload of a true starter, last year we saw the occasional down game in the playoffs, and he’s had a few this year too. I think that given time, Jaro will adjust, but that’s a projection we make, it’s impossible to tell.

Price has shown a winning pedigree at every level.  He’s proven he can take a heavy load and still churn out results.  The lessons he learned last year have proven invaluable as far as his evolution as a professional, and it’s feeling like a breakout season for the ages.

I agree with the assessment of the trade.  I think that you draft the best players available, and you fill organizational needs through trades and free agency.  With the Jaro trade we filled a couple organizational needs that have been thin in Montreal for years, a skilled center with size in Eller, and a mean, ornery bastard on the wing in Schultz.

Eller is coming along nicely, I’m projecting him to be a #2 center in a year or two.  That’s a fast track for most prospects.  Remember, seven years ago when Pleks was 21, he played a total of 2 games in the NHL.  Eller is playing a regular shift, and is showing a high level of skill, and is adjusting quickly to the pace of the NHL.  I think that he has a very high ceiling and in the 3-5 year range he can look as good as Pleks looks now.  In that respect, the trade is on a very even ground.  We’ll also get to sign Eller to some peach contracts because he’ll still be an RFA (producing as an RFA is one of the keys to building teams these days).

This year is a wash as far as the trade goes.  Eller will keep getting better, as will Jaro.  We filled an organizational need, while maintaining a very strong presence in net.  That’s what a good GM does, maximize his assets, and as you have pointed out, the goaltender market is extremely saturated when a Stanley Cup winning team lets their starting goalie walk for nothing.

31. Danno says:

How many more times do we need to vote to get to 99.99 per cent?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

32. twocents says:

First of all, what’s Bugs doing over here in Boone’s section? He usually sticks to the other side of the house.

Secondly, someone mentioned below, “… if the Canadiens targeted Eller.” Apparently they did. Armstrong said the Habs called him and asked for Eller. Apparently, the Blues said they’d be happy with either goalie.

I agree with HH, balls and brains, baby, sorry Bugs, but you’d best bury the billy stick and stop bashing that beast.

Eller + Schultz > Halak

34. smiler2729 says:

I’m so sick of “Jaro”. Look, the guy wanted out, he’s out. Nothing against the guy, and he was great last year, but I was never sold on him as a longterm number one goalie and am glad he got a gig starting in St. Loo. But let’s give up “The Debate”, it went on soooo long last season and divided us to the point of Republican-Democrat.

Why is he being brought up yet again when Price is outplaying him, out statistic-ing him and out winning him?

35. Bill J says:

The Bunny Rabbit has a very odd perception on things.

I agree with you, “the” trade was a good one –

In no way do I look at it as getting fleeced by St Louis.

NOT when Jaro has had such “Sub-par” statistics, while Price has been stellar.

Bugs just wants to be a cranky bunny.  (what’s new)

And then he goes back to “Tragically miss-understood”

No Bugs – we understand you quite well now.  You like underdog players.

Kovalev, Halak, Pouliot.

THANK GOD you do not support Price… You would surely curse him.

36. punkster says:

Hey, HH. Bugs isn’t infantile. Please don’t fling a tag like that around. My read is that he just likes to stir the pot, get the creative juices flowing, get folks involved in the discussion. Go over his many comments regarding the Halak trade and he is lamenting it for what we received in return today. We got a future potential star, hopefully, but today we can’t say we got much in return. Now, I like what we got given the market for goalies. And I believe (or is it hope) that retaining Price is the right move. And I really wish we could have kept both. But all that aside Bugs isn’t far wrong unless…UNLESS…Eller stuns us all this season with a stellar performance and oodles of goals and/or assists. Not a year or two or three from now. This season. RFN!!! At that point Bugs will be fully on board the Eller Express, guaranteed.

37. BeachHabFan says:

simple things please simple minds. needless to say i have been laughing out loud for the past 10 minutes. thanks for the link

38. smiler2729 says:

You speak wisely, grasshopper, Bugs is a character.

39. christophor says:

Bugs, I love you for mastermindin’ this whole thing.

Anyone else thinking these Bruin fans lack confidence in their team? I’m starting to think I have more confidence in the Bruins than the Bruin fans do.

“Might take one” in a series against Montreal?

“Montreal is the best team in the east”?

Are these HI/O guys posing as Bruins fans?

40. Bugs says:

Suggest you follow through then cuz that’ll be easier to believe than Eller being equal return for Halak.

41. Bugs says:

It’s the same except for better evidence to support one trade over the other; gotcha.

Uhh…I guess you got me.

42. VancouverHab says:

Well, let me say that I want believe that Pouliot could be a top-three stud…

43. Castor says:

I’ll never understand the Gill bashing. The guy’s lack of speed sometimes hurts him, sure, but he’s a wall on the PK and one of the leaders on the team

44. VancouverHab says:

Obviously Pouliot is far better established than Eller. But the similarity is that you place a far higher stock on Pouliot than his raw stats indicate (I’m not saying that you’re wrong, just that you have faith that he could be a very good top-six NHL forward, and many people — JM included — don’t rate him highly enough.)

In that sense. your particular antagonist here sees a big future in Eller. (Again, you have the better evidence, but the specific point of comparison seems apt.)

45. VancouverHab says:

I’m on your side of the trade debate HH, but Bugs is not infantile imho — a better descriptive word is the perfect pun “puckish.”

Progressively consistent flashes. He’s the Habs #2 prospect. I love his jam. The way he threw Brie-Gruyere’s stick and simply gave him a what are you looking at stare down and didn’t flinch when other Flyers tried to intimidate him is worth all kinds. I agree with JD that once this kid hits the weights and pounds out watch out.

47. Bugs says:

I had faith in Gainey too.
    He got us more for TENDRE GUIDOUNE than Gauthier got us for a num1 goalie.
    Am I right?

I started a nice little debate with my B&B refernce.

Here’s my take. Halak was not a #1 goalie, he’s only becoming one. he still has lots to prove, because the one constant so far in his career is that he has never played enough regular season games to be a #1 and he has never won anything other than regular season games. He was not a signed goaltender he was an impending arbitration eligible RFA. As SF09 points out goalies fetch little on the market, anybody remember what the Habs got for Huet who went on to sign for scads of cash he was never worth. The balls part was that it took courage to trade away a playoff hero and potential #1. The brains part is that he had faith that Price was going to become the goaltender he is projected to be.

Honestly Bugs your view of the world is infantile. It is like buying stock. Sell high by low. The Habs did not get owned. The Habs made out like bandits. I haven’t seen Price let in 4 goals in one period nor score on himself this season. Halak? Yes. Halak will get better, but only marginally, Price however….

PG is very astute in my books. Bugs, not so much.

49. Bugs says:

I treat Poolio like a guy who has 2 pts in 20 games? And Eller is treated like a guy who offers as much as the guy picked ahead of the Priceberg and for whom we exchanged Tendre Guidoune and NOT a num1 goalie?
    Uhh, no, I don’t “mean” that at all, Couvie. In fact, I don’t even know how you could’ve perceived that.

50. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I know, right?

Why has what Halak did been elevated to “the best playoff performance by a goalie since Roy” or anything along those lines. What about what Cam Ward did when Carolina won? Or Giguere the first time the Ducks made the Finals? There have been many hot goalies in the playoffs and none have been elevated to God-like status.

51. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Steady is the right word when Gill is used wisely by JM.

Gill is a valuable asset when used on the PK, when parked in front of the goal, or used as 3rd pair D. Sometimes a liability when used as top 4 D, defending against speedy forwards, and his size makes for awkward penalties on the boards.

Gill also has a bit of the MAB thing going when someone passes the puck back to him in the O zone, often handled like a hand grenade, with opposing players getting to the puck and by him – I am grateful he has a long reach.

With that said, hoping Gill has a great game, and highlights include excellent PK work against the Thrasher (#3) PP.

52. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I wouldn’t want either of those guys.

I know Jovo is a UFA, but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t be able to sign him, especially if we have a nice playoff run. Also, nothing wrong with a rental to replace Markov for this season, as long as the the asking price isn’t too high.

If we were looking at getting anybody from Edmonton, I would look at Hemsky to give us 2 REALLY good lines.

53. Danno says:

That ballot is bogus. Those Mighty Toronto Maple Leafs are not even listed.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

54. VancouverHab says:

Well, that’s a good point in one way of looking at things, Bugs.

If we had the team of that year with Halak of last year, would we have had the same success? You are right that we may have done, and since I loved lots of those players (Kovy, Koivu, etc.) I find that an attractive idea.

But. But we do not know that — and Gainey from behind the bench sure seems to have blamed a lot more than just goaltending, & (as you have made me realise) I have a lot of faith in Bob Gainey.

55. punkster says:

Some guy named Berkleepunk commented on there. Claims to be a Bs fan since the 70s. Funny that. I was in school there at the time but don’t recall his name, exactly.

56. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

That comment section is hilarious. Someone even did Tony on there. Well done.

57. punkster says:

To the item at hand I’d have to agree with you regarding Pouliot. I’d much prefer internal promotion with money already spent versus a rental at least until such time as the internal resources proved to be ineffective. And Pouliot seems to be the right guy for the job.  However, this comment should not, in any way, be seen as my leaning any closer to your views on L’Artiste or Mr. Halak. Loved them when they were here. Don’t want to go back.

58. VancouverHab says:

You mean, you’re on him because he treats Eller like you treat Pouliot, Bugs?  ;–)

59. Bugs says:

I reply to whom I please, sir.

60. Mike MacPhee says:

Nice analysis.  But I fear that the facts will only confuse some.

61. Wayne says:

Ok, if this is old hat, I apologize. Here’s a snippet from DGB on Buffle Gin

62. light_n_tasty says:

Right, but what I’m saying is, had PG kept Halak and got a draft pick for Price, he would have had enough cap room to sign Pleks anyway.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Interesting detail about the OLY, Slovakia had the Bronze Medal locked down until the Finns came out in the 3rd period of that Medal game and lit up Halak who failed to shut the door on them.

Habs got blanked 3 times but come on, it wasn’t like he was making the same spectacular saves and that foolish run out of net in Game 5 when he basically left the open net for Richards turned that game on it’s head with a SHG when the Habs had the lead. Series might have lasted a little longer if Halak hadn’t made a very bad play in a critical game. Do not compare the best goalie of the entire 09-10 year to Halak, just don’t. It’s not a real comparison and Miller has never won less than 30 games since the lockout ended either including some fantastic winning percentages like 05-06 and 06-07.

I read comments from St. Louis fans who were not pleased with the trade and complimented MTL on getting their hands on Lars Eller at Hockey’s Future actually, a pretty good site for general hockey discussion and I don’t generally frequent St. Louis Blues sites because well, I’m not a Blues fan unlike some people around here.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

64. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Jovo would be a rental only and will be UFA. How about a pitch for Gilbert or Foster from the Oil – as by Xmas the focus will be on rookie ice time, the next draft and ditching salary?

65. Bugs says:

Wow, I think you have me confused with someone else, Jan.

I don’t hold Halak to god-like status for one playoff run.

And I never admitted that the team wasn’t doing well and that the guys steering the ship aren’t doing so in the right direction.

66. Danno says:

The Boonless blog was a boondoggle.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

67. Bugs says:

I basically hold my breath and turn blue until I get what I want.

Woulda gotten us Pietrangelo, if not Perron.

Don’t believe me? Ahhhhhhhhh-hp…………….

68. JD_ says:

I’ve espoused this notion goin’ back to when it happened. It’s a lot easier to undertake than you might imagine.

Komisarek’s deal was on the table for a week. Gainey was tryin’ to sign him.

Kovy was incredibly popular in Montreal. Gainey, on the other hand, was not.

Kovy’s deal was tabled to Kovy’s agent for the length of one phone call, while Kovy was in Russia. All Gainey had to do was compromise on one or two key elements – which Kovy’s agent had already given Bob – and Kovy’s agent would have no choice but to “get back to him”.

The Gionta deal was effectively announced the same day. At the time, Gainey said he had a business to run and couldn’t be expected to wait around for people to accept contract offers.

Kovy came back to North America and looked like a guy who’d just been hoodwinked. He was absolutely baffled.

We ultimately will never know what went down and are all guessin’. I’m cool with that and am not goin’ to pretend I know better. I am prepared, however, to indulge this machiavellian tactic because of the rest of what Gainey was doin’ at the time.

Besides, it makes for good readin’.

69. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Look, in the short term, Price has saved Gauthier’s ass with his unexpected high level of play. The Halak trade was a gamble and it took balls and brains, with an accent on the former. So far, it has paid off. Price has been briliant.

Could they have gotten more? Probably, unless they were so high on Eller that he was the target all along. Should they have gotten more? A forward as good now as Halak is good now would have been a delight. But the team is good and Eller may be the real deal. I know, may. But an established superstar forward can rip out a knee, too. I like the look of Eller as a young player. He’s big, smart, skilled and hard-working.

70. Bugs says:

Again, Bryzzie, Vokoun or whoever hadn’t done HALF of what Halak had done afore being traded, Like the Olympics for example, which puts the notion of Pressure on display like no other event on earth and where Halak excelled. That in itself is worth its weight in gold and it deserves mention.

Halak was out of it in the 3rd round? We got BLANKED THREE TIMES, Yahoo. What, can Carey SCORE in the 3rd round? Please.

A “section of St.Louie fanes weren’t happy with the Eller trade”??? Uhhh, yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and call pish-tosh on that. I don’t know what sites YOU’VE been visitin, but the posters on the St.Louie sites I read were not only FOR the deal but ECSTATIC about it.

Same way we would be if we got Miller for Pacioretty, “sad” as we would be to see him go.

71. Rugger says:

What are these poor performances from Gill of which you speak?  He seems to be very steady back there.  I am not that concerned about D unless another gets hurt.  I would like to see a trade deadline pick-up of a decent Defenesive D-man but would not want to spend much.

72. notbigbird says:

What I mean is that trading Halak gave us the Price we have now, plus the room to sign Pleks, plus the guys in the trade.

73. HOGGIE says:

it was fun to watch him out there when was on his game, i think the hit on tucker is my favorite Kovy moment that said am not sure how he would fit in to the current team and system, but i would still like to have him for our pp