Tied at the top

Who woulda thunk it?

Your Montreal Canadiens have 73 points, the same total as the mighty, Eastern Conference-leading Ottawa Senators.

Ottawa has more wins and a game in hand, so they’re still ahead.

But things are getting interesting, eh?

Canadiens played textbook shutdown hockey in the third period to secure a 5-3 win and a sweep of the weekend series against the Flyers. They finished their regular season series against Philly 4-0.

It was Canadiens’ 19th win on the road – and Carey Price’s third win in a row.

Price made 34 saves. Canadiens killed six penalties and got another huge effort from Francis Bouillon, who scored his first goal in almost a year.

1. N.B.habs fan says:

Imagin wearing a jersey with all that s#$t on it,I feel the nascar jackets and hats are to crappy looking to wear anywhere.Just to many colours .

2. Sbah Reverof says:

I don’t get the line changes either; we need all the Tom Ks we can get against Philly. All I can hope for is by the end of the night we’ll be calling Carbo a genius because of Begin’s and Ryder’s combined eight-point performance.
    But don’t quote me on that.
    Unless it comes true.

3. CDK says:

This leaves me dumbfounded and angry but really not that surprised given the long list of douches running the NHL. Why is it necessary for this league to keep money-losing franchises afloat? And why is it necessary to propose such ridiculous methods to do so? Is it their mandate to force-feed hockey to folks who would rather watch paintball competitions? Wasn’t the salary cap and revenue-sharing supposed to help these franchises? Isn’t that why we missed a year in the NHL? You know that if the players are for it and it’s going to bring in 14 more cents, Bettman will be all over it.

Anyway, this is what we have to look forward to:

I would like to be able to tell the NHL that these ridiculous proposals will only drive-away hard-core fans with the net result of greater financial woes for the league. But alas, hard-core fans won’t bail. They can’t.

Also, I would like Roloson to flesh-out his statement that advertising on jerseys is better than making the nets larger. So it’s come down to either/or? Or are non-sequiturs an inevitable result of having hunks of vulcanized rubber bounced off your forehead at 100 km/h for 23 years. Sorry Rollie but the only advertising you’re going to see is “Jimmy’s Shovel and Plough” on your beer league jersey (you can thank Mathieu for that).

Each time the NHL or its players propose such nonsense it reveals how little respect they have for the league compared with its fans. On a related note, has anyone ever noticed the lack of knowledge many players have of hockey’s history? For example, a few years back Brian Boucher was asked by Ron McLean how it felt to break Bill Durnan’s consecutive shutout record; his reply, ” Who’s Bill Durnan”? I’m not saying every player needs to be Lefty Reid, but with knowledge comes respect (perhaps a trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame should be mandatory for every rostered player in the NHL).

Finally, why is Rich Winter – an AGENT – involved in this? Somebody better make sure that Eagleson is still in the clink and not slithering around in the City of Champions.

4. MikeL says:

hahahaha, I can’t stop laughing at Boone’s Nascar rant….which I whole heartily agree with

5. Habs-Kat says:

Its Carbonneau we’re talking about. We still won’t know the lines halfway through the game.

6. Mike says:

anyone know the lines yet>?

7. G-Man says:

European hockey teams do this and their jersey look like s**t. There’s enough bleeping advertising on the ice and along the boards. There’s an advertisement every 45 seconds or so on RDS. When does it become enough? Formula 1 and NASCAR and soccer make their jacket and jerseys look ludricrous. I’m cheering Manchester United, not SHARP. SHEESH!

8. the_larry says:

“The league should go back to catering for the overweight drunk lady banging…”

HAHA! That might be the quote of the year!

9. nightmare_49 says:

I never liked the idea of no changes after winning a game , playing the winning hand , but these changes were made to keep everybody sharp in the bullpen or at least almost everybody.

10. sadave says:

On the jersey . . .

AND on the pant legs (front and back). . .

AND on the socks!

Here’s a typical pic from action in the German league (DEL):

And check out the glorious team photo of Frankfurt Lions. Then again, maybe they’re not so glorious:

The players are the people standing behind the sponsors’ sign . . . the guys in the funny-looking jerseys.

11. MAB the HAB says:

While the list of players you provided seems accurate enough, I’d beg to differ on the ‘conservatism’ of Gainey’s trade method. He gets taken to task on this a lot, but I think people too often forget the big brass ones it took to trade Theodore. Few saw that coming, and it can hardly be qualified as conservative.
    Plus, this is possibly the first year that the re-building has stopped and the Habs are actually in a strong position to be players in the trade market – as opposed to before when we would have been on the over-apying side of most trades.

12. Habs-Kat says:

Whatever happened to hockey being a blue-collar sport?

The league should go back to catering for the overweight drunk lady banging on the boards and not the fatcats in Versace.

13. OldGrover says:

Heh. It is a beard from a Santa look-alike, cut and pasted into place 🙂

14. likehoy says:

the top teams in europe have only 1 advert and ti’s placed on the middle of the jersey, as the team logo is normally a crest placed above the heart…Hockey is few and far one of the only professional sport to sport their team logo so proudly on the middle of the jersey.

European Hockey teams (desperate for funding) have jerseys full of adverts. like i said…desperate for funding.

15. Wencz says:

NASCAR plugs and European soccer uniforms is the logical conclusion to this kind of experiment — I think it stinks. Here’s where I think this is going:

Elliot Friedman: Great period, Marty, you look like you’re seeing the puck better than usual out there. What do you attribute to your recent success?

Marty Turco (Guzzling Coca-cola): Well, it’s a team effort you know, BURP, me and the guys from Coke. I’ve been drinking this stuff like crazy lately and I’ve never felt better. BURP (fizz coming out of his nose)!!!

Don Cherry to Ron (later): What did I say?! What did I say?! You kids at home, drink that Coke!!!

16. Mattee. says:

I can’t stand Al strachan. End of discussion.

17. Erik says:

have you seen some of those eurapean hockey jerseys…… ugh. O h well I almost feel they might not do it because who would buy these jerseys? and they are a big seller annd revenue generator right now.

18. Rugger says:

All of the Rugby teams do it now as well, including the National teams.

19. likehoy says:

well…it’s a good idea to make money…and after a few years…us “fans” won’t even notice it anymore. No one is complaining about the no-play-zone for goalies anymore…

The revenues for soccer teams are 3 to 4 times greater than hockey teams. Real Madrid clocks in at 460m this year as the top Football team…and Leafs were the top hockey team at 119 million for 2006…The endorsements would make a huge difference and would allow the salary cap rise. As a league operation, I don’t see why they wouldn’t start…at least putting 1 advert per jersey could be a start, but on say the shoulder or the upper chest…as long as the hockey jersey doesn’t end up looking like the european ones or a nascar…

20. Erik says:

What a rediculous notion. Like anyone would want an add on dwayne rolosons jersey haha . I think this is dispicable.

21. teamplayer says:

yes im also improving my french by watching rds and reading all the french articles ppl love posting on here, keep them coming!

22. teamplayer says:

unfortunately for us and bouillon, he will never grow those 4 inches and without those inches 40 lbs aint gonna help him in this league.
    since hes been playing fairly well though, id be happy with trading him.

he reminds me of rudy!

23. JD says:

RDS is the best. Pierre et Yvon are good Chantale ain’t bad either. I can’t stand cbc tsn coverage any more. Added bonus is improving my French.

Ditto HabsKat. The only way Vinny comes back home is after next year when it only costs us money. We can re-adjust the payroll (and players) accordingly.

The Original 24 Cups

25. teamplayer says:

yeh rds and tsn have the best picture with or without hd they win both categories
    then cbc easily
    then all those god damn versus channels, picture isnt good at all, wont wathc any of these games on versus unless its HD…

ive been spoiled since i bought new tv and centre ice package

i hate the buffalo go, hes too much for me to handle, hes gotta lay off coke

Just got home. What’s this I’m hearing? Tom the Bomb isn’t playing against the dirtiest team in the NHL? Smolinski is out which leaves us with no 4th line centre? Naila is getting married? What gives?

The Original 24 Cups

27. teamplayer says:

yeh thats a great idea, we could have like who should sit out the next game?

and as for this poll, instead of putting every continent in almost where there might be one habs fan, you should have what major city are you closest to? just a thought

28. teamplayer says:

one thing that makes me happy about the changes in the lineup is that he actually changed his lineup. after everygame all season, carboneau never changed his lineup (not including goalies) and we end up losing the next game. maybe now he sees some bad plays and a winning game, which is how it should be!

29. The Teacher says:

Good idea, I think it’s been proposed before but kudos for you for doing something to initiate motion.

30. MikeMcLaren says:

First sentence in the CBC story:

“Star centre Vincent Lecavalier will ask the Tampa Bay Lightning to trade him in the summer, and a possible destination could be Montreal, according to veteran journalist Al Strachan.”

Al Strachan?

Al Strachan is neither “veteran” nor a “journalist.”

31. teamplayer says:

heres bob mck latest blog http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/mckenzie/?id=229581
    he thinks prospal will be most likely to go.

we may aswell just wait for lecavalier to be ufa, cuz tb gm is gonna ask way too much

32. wd40 says:

Hi all. Off topic, I spoke to Kevin Mio regarding implementing polls on H I/O. He mentioned this is on his plate and he’ll investigate the feasibility. I think polls are an interesting feature and would add to our site. As an example, I can imagine the “Who should get the start tonight, Huet or Price?” would have been neat. I’m sure you all can think of more interesting ones.

In the interim, I set up a very simple poll to get a taste of where our H I/O community is from. It’s available here and takes 10 seconds at most… i’ve already voted 🙂

33. likehoy says:

when you’re desperate for a help…you’ll try anything!!

34. Jonnyboy says:

Pierre has been loving the Habs this year. He wants Komi for monster of the year and whenever he watches Price he can’t handle himself. Everyone else though…

35. Jonnyboy says:

I have heard someone claim this site will work:

I just checked and the game is on there. I have looked a few times before and the game hasn’t been there. I have no idea what quality or anything else will be like.

36. Habs-Kat says:

37. Ed says:

I have no idea what you are talking about, but page down, and watch the pretty movements. Or you could try Mike Boone. He also talks in foreign tongues at times.

38. Jonnyboy says:

The review is only for whether the puck crossed the line. If they started reviewing for other things such as the goalie being pushed in, where would they draw the line, they would end up reviewing pentaly calls.

39. Ed says:

Man oh man, I don’t know what that means, but it sure is funny.

40. PattyBoy31 says:

Makes the Hossa rumours irrelevant… http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/02/17/lecavalier-lightning.html?ref=rss

I’d rather wait for Lecavalier than trade for Hossa 🙂

41. The Kid says:

so I only saw the 1st period last night…
    had to go to a neighbor’s party (Leafs fan) to see his new basement with big screen TV…
    started feeling nauseous after about 15 min…. at first thought it might be the onion dip but realized it was watching the Leafs in HD…they’re even more repulsive with all that definition. I could see zits on Stajan and Kaberle’s faces
    Glad Carey’s back in tonight….what I saw of him in the 1st I liked….and the highlights of the 3rd were (to quote Uncle Tom) “AMAZING”!!!
    glad Begin’s back as well….not impressed with Slowlinski or Kost lately…as for Ryder, don’t get me started!!!!
    at least one of my prayers was answered, prefer seeing Brisebois chow down on a chien chaud in the press box.
    Go Habs Go

42. ebk says:

I really like Getzlaf, he’s a somewhat local kid but AK46 is fast becoming my favorite Habs favorite player in waiting. Kovalev is still #1 in my books but the kid can dangle.

43. Gormdog says:

You tell em Naila!

Karaoke tonight? 😉

44. Chuck says:

And even in regular definition, the picture on RDS seems a lot better than the CBC product.

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

45. wd40 says:

i’ve been watching the Habs on RDS for a few years now and as a fluently bilingual montrealer i can tell you i’ll never go back to the cbc. Pierre and Yvon do a fantastic job in my opinion.

46. Naila Jinnah says:

So called this one.

47. Chorske says:

Humph, I’ll bet you’ll have as little success as the time I asked if anyone specialized in the osmoregulatory physiology of polyopisthocotyle monogeneans.

You’d almost think this was a hockey forum.

48. Habs-Kat says:

Yay! I’m mentioned! Hahaha

49. Les-Habitants says:

If Begin manages to do a decent job on faceoffs, he may have just found a way back into a regular slot in the lineup.

Smokes has really been having an off year, where we’ve had him take the role as a defensive center. I guess he’s use to be in a secondary scoring role, but whatever it is, he doesn’t inspire confidence in me when I see him on the ice…man, I miss Bonk…

But for Begin, Dandy and TK, they’ll be fighting for ice-time for the rest of the season. Such is the life of being a 4th liner in the NHL.

50. Les-Habitants says:

lol, I’m so glad that you found that out.

The Bobby Holik campaign:
    “He may not be Hossa, but he won’t cost us Higgins”

51. Chuck says:

Are you kidding? Most of us have trouble counting to 10 to calm down before we post!

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

52. JF says:

I’m glad to see Begin back in. This is being a tough season for him; he seems to be becoming a spare part, and must realize that his days a a Hab are probably numbered. But he is one of the grittiest players on the team and gives everything he’s got each game.

Habs can’t expect Price to steal this one. Philly will be really mad; they haven’t played badly over their slump, things just haven’t gone their way. They’ll be determined to get the win; plus they’re sure the puck was in the net and Price was not pushed in by any of their players. Looking at the replay, they could have a point. At the very least, it’s strange the play did not go to review. On RDS this morning they said there was no review because the referee ruled that Price was pushed into the net, a call which is not subject to review – which makes no sense to me. Why not?

Two things we have to improve on from last night: faceoffs and scoring. I couldn’t believe some of the chances we missed last night. Tonight we have to capitalize on our chances. And if we allow Philly to dominate us on faceoffs as they did last night, we’ll be chasing the puck all night and giving up even more shots than last night.

53. mcLovin says:

thanks. btw i think you look more like grover wearing way too much shaving cream, not an old grover. but i like it.

54. likehoy says:

ok this may be a stretch…but…

is there anyone who specializes in Infrared Spectroscopy here?? if there is PLEASE help me!!

55. OldGrover says:

Mike Boone already ‘mea culpa’d for that – he acknowledged that he didn’t see the play right and that it was an Ovechkin-like goal, not a weak goal

56. likehoy says:

unless he hasn’t represented USA at a professional level…then he can’t switch to canada 😛 but he’s born and bred american…no way he’d switch his alliegance.

57. stephen says:

I like having Bégin in, so long as he fulfills his antagonizer role.

If Ryder has any pride, and I know he does, he will come out with something to prove. I have liked his intensity and work on the puck in the few games he has played of late, so stick him on the LA-LA line and see how they go.

58. mcLovin says:

sorry if this (and it probably has but i’m lazy) has been talked about already.. but..

in response to the GWG by Andrei K boone said:

2P 16:08:

Not pretty but it counts.

A weak backhand is Andrei K’s 18th

was that bad sarcasm? i’m lost

regardless. go habs go baby!

59. the_larry says:

I think your out of luck. I just checked CBC and they have that gripping reality series Heartland, TSN has Auto Racing, and Sportsnet has poker.

60. Sulemaan says:

Does anyone know if the game tonight is on any channel besides RDS or Centre-Ice? Online perhaps?

61. MikeL says:

I just read a pretty interesting article on Yahoo. Eric McErlain, from the SportingNews, says his pick for captain of the 2010 Team USA is Mike Komisarek. He’s also my pick for the next Canadiens captain.

62. piche says:

Funny you say that about RDS. I have been watching RDS almost exclusively over the last couple of years (because they are carrying every game). I find I miss the French broadcast when I watch the odd game on CBC or TSN.

I will take RDS over the other teams broadcasters that you get on center ice any day (although I do like Buffalo’s commentator). And you can get RDS for much cheaper than CI.

Watch enough games and you will understand them (at least the hockey lingo)(I do now). Looks like you are off to a good start already.

Cheers & GO HABS GO!!

63. gohabzzzz says:

my perfect lineup would be without ryder but I guess if you want to(or atleast try) get rid of him before the trade deadline, you have to let him play, that way he can show everybody some of his “skills”…..I’m happy that bégin is back. honesty, if I had the choice between Steve and Smolinski, I would take bégin anytime because he gives is 100% every shift, unlike smolinski, who sometimes doesn’t realize that there’s a game going on.

64. Chuck says:

Yeah… let’s see Getzlaf pull off a move like Kostitsyn did last night! Tee! 🙂

“All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

65. likehoy says:

bouillon has had a good stretch as of late…hope he keeps it up…but there are times when he is still out-muscled in his own end.

Andrei Kostitsyn is showing why we drafted him 10th overall and why he should have been a top 5 pick that year. The kostitsyn brothers flanking plekanec will be our top line to come for years…we should sign all 3 of them to 6-7 year contracts.

66. Chorske says:

Nice to see Steve getting back in. We’ll need his grit tonight against some very frustrated Flyers. I’m surprised Kostopoulos is sitting, thought he had a good game.

67. ebk says:

Carey Price was absolutely brilliant last night and has been the last two games. He deserves the start today.

The team has two very good goaltenders, I just don’t understand all the crap about either. Huet carried this team for a large stretch of last season. He slumped when the team in front really started to stink and then he got hurt. He should not have played the game against the leafs but that is not on him. He has played better than the defense in front of ever since he took the job from Theodore. Whoever gets him next season is getting a damn good goalie.

For those on the boones ‘About Last Night’ thread earlier wondering about Price’s passion and intensity. I’ve been around sports most of my life, I’ve seen lots of players who display their intensity outwardly, the guy I like is the one sitting in the corner quiet,focused and ready to go. That I think is Carey Price, think Ken Dryden. Price, like Dryden doesn’t wear his intensity on his sleeve but believe me it is there in spades.

A day or so ago I said I thought Max was the Habs best penalty killer as a forward, I stand corrected. Facing their most important PK of the season, Markov and Komisarek in the box, Plekanec and Kovalev do an outstanding job keeping the Flyers of the scoresheet. Hamrlik did a good job as well and Price, well he helped a little bit too.

A long time ago, when the Habs ruled the Hockey World, they had a flashy RW and a outstanding two-way centerman. Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn remind me of Lafleur and Lemaire of the early 70’s. Now I’m not saying the Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn are going to be as good as Lafleur and Lemaire but both should be in or around a point a game for the rest of their careers. I actually think Andrei Kostitsyn’s celing might be higher than that. He has that little extra to his game that can’t be taught.

Frankie Bouillon is about 4 inches and 40 pound away from being K-Rex senior. The little man with the huge heart continues to impress me. He played great last night.

Hopefully the Canadiens make Habs-Kat a happy girl and complete the sweep. They need roughly 93 points to make the playoffs and today sit 22 away from that number.

Team improves to 16-4-4 without Patrice Brisebois in the lineup.

68. nightmare_49 says:

The lineup is fine with me cuz i believe you got to keep everybody freah and keep their timing to game condition standards that goes for Breezer also.

69. Les-Habitants says:

Spelt it perfectly

70. N.B.habs fan says:

I will say a prayer for Price and Ryder,hope they really do well tonight.I have to watch the game on RDS,dont understand French much,but I like the saying (la but)..did I spell it right?

71. ebk says:

I thought Kostopoulos actually played alright last night. Smolinski on the other hand, it is hard to believe this is his first healthy scratch. Michael Ryder, if he actually played as bad a Smolinski has, would be buried so deep in the press box, you would need the Hubble telescope to find him.

72. Les-Habitants says:

Well, Carbo likes doing this when he’s got fresh bodies to put in for back to back games.
    I guess we’re about to see how Begin’s faceoff skills have held up since last time (when was it??) he was a center.

The Bobby Holik campaign:
    “He may not be Hossa, but he won’t cost us Higgins”

73. likehoy says:

interesting..very interesting…someone posted this on last nights thread but since CBC published it…it might have some credentials until Bobby Mac makes another one of those TSN blogs “RUMOURS WITH HABS, NOT TRUE!!!” as he does bimonthly.

doubt he’d come to montreal cause of gainey’s conservative trade methods…since Lecav will be commanding a trade, i doubt feaster will pull a rejean houle and sell him for less than he’s worth. Who are you willing to trade that won’t rip your team apart?

Here’s a list of players that I’d put on my list of players Feaster can choose from.

Perezhogin (long shot pick up but only 1 year till he’s eligible to return to the NHL).
    Weber (as much as I think he might be the next markov)

You know what…might have been easier just to say “anyone except both kostitsyns, plekanec, markov, komi, hamr and price…”