They never quit

Furious third-period action.

But Craig Anderson stood tall.

1. HabLion says:

Feels good finally!  They would have been easily .500 this year with Stafford and that first game in Chicago stolen.  Here’s hoping for playoffs next year!

2. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I like Desharnais a lot, but you have to admit, for Boyd, being in the AHL might be a little easier than the NHL. The gap between the leagues is a big one, and many an AHL superstar has never held on to a job in the NHL. I wish Boyd the best, but if he scores a few, I’m gonna get pretty sick of his being the next superstar bruised and wounded by the evil Count JM.

3. Harani says:

Going to a family Christmas party so no game for me tonight! Do Greek restaurants in the Old Port have RDS? Thought so.  Go Habs Go!

“It must be love!”

4. Exit716 says:

Pretty impressive shredding of Tampa’s defense too by a third string QB.

5. andrewberkshire says:

I hope he’s solid, finishes even but we kick Colorado’s ass.

6. Castor says:

agreed. I hope he is awful tonight and good the rest of the year.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Don’t understand why people just can’t be happy for O’Byrne. He wasn’t going to ever have a regular job on the Habs, he got an opportunity in Colorado and seized it. No hard feelings, we got a blue chipper in return.

8. the_larry says:

How ’bout them Lions?! 2 W’s in a row! If Stafford can stay healthy, they will be a .500 team next year IMO.

9. Jbird says:

More than Amazing! uhhhhhhh – What the heck was that?  Vick Single handedly tied the game.  The end was uhhhhhhhhh.  Speachless.

For Habs fans who hate NFL this is like the 5-0 Rangers game, only 100 times more important for the standings and with much less time to come back.

10. Danno says:

Come to think of it, it does look like a large purse…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

11. punkster says:

Hey, you’re warm and safe. By the looks of the NOAA site you could have had a few snowy hours on the road there and back. Put your feet up, open a cold one, sit back and enjoy the show Dan.

12. danp says:

I’m sitting home today. The Habs are playing in the city nearest to me with an NHL team – a mere 425 miles or so. I could drive it in about 6 hours. That’s not a bad trip and Broncos fans do it all the time. Hotel is cheap. Seats on the glass at the Pepsi Center were available yesterday for $145. My son doesn’t want to go (he’s an Avs fan).

So, I’ll sit at home and watch it on TV with an extra $290 burning a hole in my pocket.

Dan

13. HabFanSince72 says:

Timo’s a real ray of sunlight ain’t he?

Worst Hab fan in Canada?

14. Johnny_D says:

Jebus man, it’s not like we traded Chris f-ing Chelios … it’s O’Byrne.  Good for him, he seems to be a solid addition in Colorado, but for Pete’s sake stop talking like we lost a Norris trophy candidate.

15. TOEmastro says:

Read my post below, I mentioned the EXCI phys for performing at altitute. Les boys keep the shifts short and under Aerobic threshold, they can play the whole game without problems

16. B says:

All those short Habs are not as affected by the altitude as taller players are :)

17. Wayne says:

lawlz… nice one

18. rocketsglare says:

That’s why JM must play the lines on shorter shifts than normal and have portable oxygen available for the players.

19. B says:

If he plays lights out to earn a call-up, there is a chance some other team would pluck him off recall waivers for half of his pro-rated $650,000 (with Montreal on the hook for the other half).

20. Johnny_D says:

I heard OB was seen running out of the terminal with Hickey’s wife’s purse…

21. Born in a Bad Year says:

Total mistake to get rid of him.

He is currently +13, on track on pace according to NHL.com to reach +39. He brought Liles up from +4 to +15.

The last time a Hab defenceman was over +20 was in the nineties.

The Avs gave him a spot with their “Markov” and let him play.  The Habs went out every year and picked up loose ends and rejects and played them above their defenceman who could play big and tough.  O’Byrne is a smarter, bigger version of Komisarek.

Yep, I bet Subban spends all he off ice time watching Bruins games. THere is so much to learn from watching a team Habs continually b!tchslap back to the last century.

23. rocketsglare says:

Are you kidding me! With 14 seconds to go, the Eagles win on a 65 yd punt return. Amazing.

24. ABHabsfan says:

I am glad that OB is doing well, it is good to see a guy get a second chance and do well. However I am sure all the Habs know that OB’s weakness is his lack of foot-speed and this will be exposed tonight. You can’t block shots and hit guys if they are behind you

25. OneTimer says:

You…complain…so…much. The team’s good and it’s winning. Enjoy it.

Should they lose though, they can always use the altitude excuse.

Khe… I know how Hickey’s luggage got lost. OB was sighted at the airport. Coincidence? I think not.

28. OneTimer says:

Let’s win it for Boone’s luggage!!

29. rocketsglare says:

Vick has single handily brought the Eagles back from sure defeat. A spectacular performance indeed by Vick.

30. The Teacher says:

Michael Vick, whatever you think of him, is one heck of an athlete!

31. TOEmastro says:

NO! no one does that! no one makes a new account when they’re banned! They sulk and feel shame and just watch from the bench.

32. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Epic mistake huh?  lmfao

33. punkster says:

Man you do push the envelope Stephen. What’s the point of stirring the pot if you can’t take a few shots in return? Most of the regulars here know you and know exactly how to counter your aggressiveness. Talk hockey? Try commenting without the aggressive whine. Physician heal thyself.

34. JIMVINNY says:

See?  That wasn’t so hard.

To answer your question, if you aren’t going to make the effort to write an articulate post, I’m not going to make an effort to decipher your drivel.

All in good fun, of course.

35. JIMVINNY says:

I’d simply like to be able to understand what you’re trying to say.  That gibberish you posted previously is incomprehensible.

36. Habnofear says:

I must be Casper the  Habs fan ….and you should talk hockey!

37. Habnofear says:

How is this my fault:)

38. TorontoHabsFan says:

How long do you think you have until you get banned again xtra?

39. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’ve long believed that there’s no player more scrutinized/agonized over than the 6th/7th Defenceman. Even more than the goalie it seems. Witness Brisebois a few years back (and Aki Berg in Toronto around the same time).

I mean, even with the injury to Markov, O’Byrne would still be behind Subban, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gorges, and Gill on the depth chart. We are talking about, at best, the 6th defenceman.

He didn’t work out in Montreal, ho hum. Picard/Weber have.

The amount of virtual ink spilled over this player is completely outsized to any contribution he ever could make on the ice.

40. rocketsglare says:

The Habs can’t afford to come out slow and let the Avs control the flow and momentum of the 1st period. They

must come out and set the tone early with their speed and skill and frustrate the young guns of the Avs with a

physical game. By playing disciplined, patient, and opportunistic on both ends of the ice can the Habs prevail.

Should be a great game tonight between two good teams.

41. Habnofear says:

Look ,talk hockey or go back to watching Dr Phil!

42. Ed says:

O’Byrne leads the Avalanche in even strength ice time per game with 17:43, while poor Markov leads the Canadiens with 17:18.

O’Byrne is 2nd on Colorado in hits with 54 in just 18 games, & 2nd
    in blocked shots as well with 47. He seems to be doing ok with his new
    team.

TSN had an interesting article on him yesterday, comparing his
    experience in Colorado with that in Montreal. I think it’s too bad the Canadiens
    gave up on this big guy, who showed himself to be a class act while
    playing for the Canadiens.

Traded to the Avalanche, he’s gone from a forgotten man to a fixture in the lineup.
    “They’ve welcomed me with open arms,” said O’Byrne, who will face his
    former team Sunday night. “The times were tough in Montreal. But I’ve
    got that pleasure back in the game.”

It should be a very interesting game. GO HABS!

43. TorontoHabsFan says:

Stop complaining so much.

44. Habnofear says:

So we have no need for both eh and at their price….do you read your post?

45. showey47 says:

I hope boudreau makes it till after our game against them anyway.

46. Habnofear says:

Is this a hockey blog?And if so don’t post unless it’s hockey  JIMBO….

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Or he’s another in a line of players who couldn’t handle the pressure of playing in MTL. OB’s struggles did not start under JM, this is the toughest market in the NHL to play in which means a high turnover rate at times.

There’s a reason the Habs are so interested in acquiring guys with leadership experience like Tinordi, Ellis, Bournival and the like, they want players with strong character from a very young age.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

48. scrowe21 says:

I feel kinda bad for him. Even if he goes on a better scoring streak than Max did, I doubt theyll call him up again. He was awful.

49. TorontoHabsFan says:

Stop complaining so much.

O’Byrne didn’t work out in Montreal, but is in Denver. Picard didn’t work out in Ottawa, but is in Montreal.

c’est la vie.

50. petrov14 says:

Both teams retired #33…

51. Habnofear says:

Explain to me how O’bryne  was an instant success  with the Avalanche….I tell you why ,he’s a big tough young Canadian defender who is now something the Habs need to acquire and his true record is with the Avalanche. His biggest problem? He’s 8 inches to tall for the Habs,lol

52. JIMVINNY says:

Learn grammar, please.

53. TorontoHabsFan says:

You also complain too much.

54. andrewberkshire says:

Suit yourself. He’s listed as what I said on hockeydb.

55. Habnofear says:

As much as the Habs will always be mine ,I hope O’bryne make’s plenty EAT CROW tonight! ( he already has) That was an epic mistake dealing him elsewhere!

56. Max_a_million says:

He wasn’t horrible, and how tough is it to play when you don’t get regular ice time.

Pro sports is about getting in a rhythm, which has been impossible at times around here for young players.

The benefit of a coach who demands perfection at all times, is we play super away from the puck and consistent hockey.  The downfall is it is really tough on young players to thrive.  The good is good enough to outweight the bad, but it’s still okay to see the disappointment and flaw in not seeing out the potential in a guy like O’B.

57. Ed says:

I hope that Boone is listening. O’Byrne is actually 2nd in both categories. Maybe Boone meant that O’Byrne was 1st in hits & blocked shots per game.

58. Max_a_million says:

Funny …

Subban does it in the course of a game … I betcha Savard, Bergeron, et al have their heads on swivels when they cross our blue line with Subbie Doo back there.

Notice the Bruins didn’t push us around the other night with Patches, PK, Eller … we are slowing evolving into a bigger tougher team.

59. Malreg says:

O’Byrne played horribly under 3 different coaches (Carbo, Gainey, Martin).  At some point, it’s not the coaches fault anymore.

60. TorontoHabsFan says:

You complain too much.

61. Max_a_million says:

Now Boyd is doing really well.  So if everyone who plays with David Desharnais excels, then what does that say about him?  Remember how Markov made the guys he played with look like stars, and it was finally realized that Markov was the reason for it.

I like our centres, but I am not at all opposed to giving Eller some heavy minutes in Hamilton.  It seems like the coaches are doing a wonderful job developping players there, and I would like to see Desharnais get some time with the Habs.

We have nothing to lose getting him some time … it seems like he might be special.

62. avatar_58 says:

Listen to the last few seconds of this clip

Would it be so wrong to have PK and OB on our defense? But no, JM can’t have a young guy who makes a few mistakes here and there. That privilege is only reserved for 8 mil per guys. I hope OB just has a quiet +/- 0 game and doesn’t take anybody’s head off.

64. Bill says:

I haven’t measured him myself, but he’s listed at 5’11, 179 on canadiens.com, which I assume is a reliable source for information on the Canadiens. In the Q, 15 goals in 31 games is actually merely decent for an NHL prospect. I don’t think calling him a “middle grade prospect” is being negative, but perhaps the difference is in what we consider “blue chip” to mean. To me it means something more than a definite NHL player. And unless either of us has a crystal ball, neither of us knows he’s a “definite” NHL player. There are probably lots of guys who had a resume like Bournival’s who never made the NHL. And you’re right, I refuse to develop huge expectations for major junior prospects, because most never make it and I do not like disappointment.

Full Breezer 4 Life

65. B says:

2 more goals for Boyd last night. That’s 3 in 2 games so far, a good start with the Bulldogs.

66. punkster says:

Now THIS is a compelling piece of info.

67. Danno says:

Ryan O’Byrne is such a hit he’s now featured in this video along with other noteable defencemen. His appearance is at the 2:30 mark.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

68. Hockey Socks says:

Habs will dominate tonight.

69. Castor says:

It was an apparent failed attempt at sarcasm.

5-1-1 would be freaking nice. I’m kind of guessing something like 4-2-1…

But let’s hope it’s 7 and 0!

70. B says:

JM Liles leads Colorado in

blocked shots

and Cody Mcleod leads Colorado in

hits.

71. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think Boudreau will last much longer. Fired right after the Winter Classic I expect.

72. andrewberkshire says:

Bournival is 6′, 187lbs at 18, so he isn’t small. 3rd round in the deepest draft since 2003. 15 goals in 31 games, captain of his team at 18 is merely decent? Sounds pretty good to me. Defensive stud in that league as well. At 18 he was the final cut from the Canadian WJC squad for a tournament of 19 year olds. These are all solid signs that Bournival is a very damn good prospect. Maybe you’d prefer to temper your own expectations by being negative for no reason, but blue chipper to me means a definite NHLer, and from what I’ve seen of Bournival, that’s what he is.

73. C3P1 says:

I think they’re past that…but boudreau also is trying to lose, starting the same goalie that cost them the game last night in the 2nd game of a back to back lol

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

74. C3P1 says:

go away

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

75. Keith says:

What the Hell are they doing?!

76. punkster says:

Hmmm…raise your hand if you thought we were going to see another late period goal.

77. axxerd says:

I think this TSN duo are one of the best of late for Habs games for us English speaking folks.

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

78. larisalapointe says:

A bit too chilly out for a troll isn’t it?

79. MICP says:

We have not won a game all year when trailing after 2.

80. punkster says:

Explain please.

81. Bugs says:

What a load of flippin garbage. When do we get OUR stupid lucky goal?

82. petrov14 says:

Im going out for an angry smoke! (___(________)))~

83. Bugs says:

Yeah, but that’s breathing air at SEA level.

Can’t apply that stat in this instance.

84. Bugs says:

Puff-puff-grrr;puff-puff-grrr?

85. punkster says:

Dammit Bugs, it was your turn to call in the”Stupid Lucky Goal” order. Did you forget again? Make the call, man. Make the call!

86. DearyLeary says:

Wait… so PK’s turnover was brutal, but Picard’s wasn’t?

87. C3P1 says:

so am I.  I would say whatever he has after coming into tonight with a 2.10 and a .930 is pretty damn good

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

88. twilighthours says:

We used those up against Boston.

89. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hahaha comment of the night!

90. Bugs says:

Did the girl on Altitude just call Pisani “Passini”?

91. punkster says:

And you have a sense of humour too.

92. punkster says:

Oh noooo!!! It’s over. It’s over I tell you. We’re not going to the post season. We’ll never win another game.

Hey, maybe we should have kept that other guy. You know, that other one?

93. topher5468 says:

This teams needs a 3rd period comeback win, I believe they are winless when trailing after 2.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

94. habguy says:

tonight is no exception.

95. Bugs says:

“Yeah. Yeah, it’s me. All good? Great; listen: stupid lucky goal. Third period. Our turn. Do it.”

Done.

96. Hockey Socks says:

Did anyone just see that kick return in the Pats-Packers game?

97. JVF says:

P.K.’s errors find the back of the net with dismaying frequency.

Yup and what’s disconcerting is that they’re not going in at the other end.

98. andrewberkshire says:

I actually thought PK made the safe play, chipping it out, but got killed on the bounce. Picard however never makes the right play lately. Great that he scored a goal after being on the PP the last 25 games, but he is absolute horse manure the last 10+ games. Get Weber back in there.

99. avatar_58 says:

Jesus, I’m trying to surf the net here and the RDS guys are giving me diabetes. CALM THE F DOWN. I don’t speak french and yet I still want to breathe deeply for these guys. I swear Joel didn’t breathe once during his segment there.

I had to hit mute

100. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

This team seriously lacks a top 2 d-man. Either bench Picard or send PK to minors.

This is becoming pathetic.

101. Bugs says:

Umm, what OTHER kinda win could we get?

102. smiler2729 says:

That was hilarious!

103. andrewberkshire says:

They’re winless when trailing after 1 and 2 periods. Not a flattering stat at all.

104. topher5468 says:

just sayin, it would be nice to win a game when trailing after 2. is that cool with you?

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

105. Big Ted says:

Would insert Weber next game… for Gill or for Picard, either one.

106. RGM says:

“I’m a bigger Price fan than any one in here OK!”

I severely doubt that.

107. topher5468 says:

Ouch Andrew, it’s worse than i thought. I say tonight is the night.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

108. smiler2729 says:

And so the honeymoon is finally over… let the Subbanites take root to fight the Trade-For-A-Dmaners.

109. Chorske says:

They can crank it up in the third, but they aren’t effective. Being behind doesn’t compute with this gang.

110. Bugs says:

It’s nice to win anytime, imo.

111. andrewberkshire says:

I hope so.

112. topher5468 says:

Yes Bugs ,that is true

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

113. JIMVINNY says:

This is a load of sh*t.  No way that goal should have counted.  And now another PK.

114. twilighthours says:

I take it back.  Habs have fallen apart in last 5 minutes.

115. andrewberkshire says:

So Eller gets a penalty for Darche getting high sticked? WHAT!?

116. Barts says:

Wow, generous call.

117. HabFanSince72 says:

Ref missed the obstruction against Darche

118. CHsam says:

WTF. Everytime I go hit the can, they score! .. better hold it in

119. OneTimer says:

a) Wear a visor
    b) It grazed your helmet

120. petrov14 says:

We dont play well from behind….

121. Shiloh says:

Darche hauled down in front of the net by a hook/high stick – no call. Eller checks in the corner – cheap call.

122. andrewberkshire says:

Gill got high sticked 3 times on that play, no call.

123. ManApart says:

I told you, on pace for is more of an illustration of how bad or good someone has been up to a certain point rather than an actual statement of how things will end up. You’re telling me to get real lol! There is no angle needed here. Gomez has 13 points in 30 games for us. Gives the team a hit of 7.3 million on the salary cap and is counted on to center the 2nd line. Wasn’t he once the 1st line center we’ve been waiting for, hence the big trade by Gainey? Ya right. Those figures hurts the team on the ice as well as off, in terms of the constraints it puts on PG to improve the team. Now that’s as real as it gets.

124. larisalapointe says:

Hahaha, now there was a team that could come back from behind. And that is what makes champions, and why they were so endearing to us in the 70s.

I don’t remember all the details but even that young I could feel the passion and excitement all around.  I can understand why your grandfather was dancing on the table! Everybody in the building I lived in came out and were jumping around and yelling.  It was so much fun being part of that winning era, wasn’t it?

125. ManApart says:

It’s easy to say that when you always watch what isn’t called against the Habs and ignore what is called. If you take the other teams perspective when they lose to the Habs, you’ll come up with the officiating is biased against the bruins or the Caps or the Sens etc. There is no conspiracy by the NHL or the referees against Montreal. You can trust me on that.

126. Larry says:

So much fun indeed. We’ll get there again.

127. punkster says:

Much better argument there MA. Keep the OPF stat out, focus on YTD results and your points can be discussed based on fact and not conjecture. In that regard, yes there is an issue. However at this point it may be one of the lesser issues we have. With or without him in the lineup we have a serious lack of scoring power and a mistake-prone defence. Same deficiencies we had last season.

128. Larry says:

I disagree. Even last year in the playoffs when we were beating Pittsburgh, it got so bad that even HNIC ran a montage of blatant ignored calls. Remember Cammys’ body language and smile that went along with  his “No comment” when asked about it after game 6. That said it all.I think Bill says it above better than I can. Campbells’ emails are just the tip of the iceberg. I think it goes right to the top. You don’t have to sell hockey in Montreal. They will sell out and be mad for their team regardless. The weaker market teams, they need help, and they get help.

129. larisalapointe says:

Yes, we will! Time to hit the sack. (unfortunately, reality sinks in – early morning meeting)  LOL  Good night!

130. Larry says:

Well said on the officiating. There were a few missed calls tonight but this was not a major deciding factor in this game. We played well enough to win, it was a pretty decent road game  and I am not upset with the effort. Late period stuff is really starting to bite us though.

131. ManApart says:

I agree 100% with your last statement. That’s why i was complaining about management after last summer. After what happened against the Flyers last playoffs with the anemic offense and defense who couldn’t handle aggression very well. PG keeps basically the same team and expects different? We’ll see how things go, but the weaknesses are really starting to show as the season goes on.

132. ManApart says:

There were definately some missed calls that series and the refs were pretty bad, but to take that and now make the leap in claiming there’s a conspiracy against the Habs by the NHL and Refs is something that is way overblown and unrealistic.

133. Larry says:

I’m not just making a leap from that though. I have watched virtually every Montreal game for the last number of years, now that I have RDS and there is a pattern. It is not every game, but there are certain games in certain markets where I think it is pretty obvious. There are teams that they want to win on certain nights against certain storied franchises. To build a buzz, try to create some excitement in those markets.

Certain is my word of the day.

134. keepthefaith says:

Look at Gomez in the last six games. Look at our games when he was out. Its obvious we are a better team with him. Its the first time this year the guy has had TWO solid line mates. You people gotta give it up. He makes what he makes. Get over it.

135. ManApart says:

I’m over it. But it can’t be ignored how detrimental it is to the team. I definately think the team is better WITHOUT Gomez if they’re able to use his money for other players. If they’re stuck with the salary, which they are, then ya, it’s better to have the guy than not. It’s just not a very good situation.

136. phillyhab says:

huh.  that’s a very interesting point.

137. sholi2000.com says:

hehe, habguy is a ref.

They Call Me Shane

138. Larry says:

You cannot keep that intensity for a full 60 minutes. And yes, it is an excuse to blame the refs. There were numerous blatant, easy calls overlooked. When the refs are obviously biased I blame the refs. Maybe hab fans blame the refs a lot because the blame is legit?

139. HabFanSince72 says:

The fact that we used 6 attackers with the goalie pulled is telling.

We are short one Andrei Markov.

140. Larry says:

For the want of five seconds in the first. I hate losing like this, such a minute margin.

Again though how could they not call that crosscheck. The official was standing right there, it was blatant, and numerous. If not for a life long addiction to the Habs I would not support this league. It is just brutal the officiating inconsistency and bias.

141. Barts says:

Enough with bashing the reffing, everytime we lose it’s the same old song. They just weren’t good enough tonight. The D is slow, and mistake prone and we’re seriously challenged offensively. That game by Price was eerily reminiscent of last year; he makes a couple of brilliant saves, but concedes some softies. Essentially, if he doesn’t stand on his head, we lose.

142. punkster says:

Good game. Entertaining and fast. Unfortunately we made a few mistakes that they took advantage of and that may be the difference. I’m not going to bitch about Subban (rookie mistakes), their goalie (good game) or the officials (hmmm?). It was always within reach and in the last few minutes we missed some glorious chances. On to Dallas and glory!

143. Vid says:

whole team snake bitten the last 5 minutes…6 forwards in the last minute and so many chances to score…we didn’t score unfortunately but that was fun to watch.  Looks like one of the reasons OByrne is doing well is because cross checks aren’t penalties in Colorado.

144. avatar_58 says:

Maybe if they team chose to be that furious in the 2nd instead of waiting till the third? There was plenty of time, no excuse to blame the refs

145. oshawahabsfan says:

Need to stop letting in the late period goals, it’s happened way too much recently, and not suprisingly, most of those games were losses.

146. Habnofear says:

Eller -Desharnais-Max Pax

147. forumghost says:

Brutal

Silly mistakes are starting to cost the Habs points…mistakes by the team in general.

Do we need another D to pair with Subban? I don’t know.  Subban didn’t play well, but he has to keep playing in order to learn.

I don’t get to watch games as often as I would like, so maybe this was just a bad night but I wasn’t impressed by Picard.  Price should have stopped that 2nd goal, but the pass Picard tried to make when he had all that open ice in front was very bad.

Anyways, the Habs went after it in the 3rd so if they keep that kind of effort up they’ll win some games on the road trip.

(sunday!) in Korea

148. habs_1993 says:

Stupid refs tonite missed a whole bunch of calls near the end

I say, next practise, they have the clock running wihout a minute running and practise surviving the minute without giving up a goal

149. Habnofear says:

Any news in Korea…did they start military practices sending rounds of the island?

150. habaholic68NJ says:

Wow.  Missed the first two periods.  How many open nets can a team possibly miss?  Target practice instead of a bag skate tomorrow.

151. avatar_58 says:

The 3 games prior maybe, this game? No way, it wasn’t that bad. The PP sucks anyway, what good would a few more calls the habs way have meant? Jack – dump it in, chase….clears the zone, dump it in, chase, clears the zone, dump it in….get it, shoot miss the net, can’t hold the blue line…..PP over.

152. CHsam says:

It’s the ship that made the Phil Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs

153. Larry says:

I will quit bashing the reffing when the reffing begins to show some semblance of integrity and competance. Those cross checks were the most blatant non calls  I have seen this year. In any game.

154. habs001 says:

pouliot and ak46 are basically 40-45 point players at best ..to become an elite team these are the players you need to upgrade along with darche and moen but that is not easy..right now we are 6 points from 9th and carolina has 2 games in hand…

155. Larry says:

The powerplay was pretty good tonight. Both goals.

156. Barts says:

And whining on here is going to change that?

157. ProHabs says:

PK Subban better end up being a great defenceman because right now, his turnovers are costing us alot of points. And it is official, AK46 is a bust.

158. Larry says:

That is part of what this forum is for. A place to vent. Silently taking it and doing nothing ain’t going to change it.

159. larisalapointe says:

And whining about soft goals, that’s the way to go right?

Price has faced 905 shots up to this game. Exactly how many have been soft, and what percentage would that be?

160. ManApart says:

Not a big surprise if you ask me. Wait a few more weeks and then see how things are.  You’re right about needing upgrades in multiple positions. Look at good ol Gomey. On pace for less than 35 points for God sakes. Look at the D. Again not surprising.

161. Larry says:

hey Larissa, that isn’t the Moose in Hearst by chance is it?

162. ManApart says:

Ask Holmstrom how many times cross checks are called when he’s in front of the net on a PP. The refs always look the other way on those. Nothing unique about it. The reffing has not, is not and won’t be the reason the Habs win or lose.

163. TomNickle says:

When the coaching staff told PK to start keeping it simple did they tell him that there’s such a thing as too simple?  Just firing the puck and not taking into consideration where’re you’re firing it or whether or not your teammates are on a line change when you’re firing it or how much support the first forechecker has on the wall when you’re firing it up the boards.

Man, he’s just playing like he doesn’t know what he’s doing right now.

164. Bill says:

Could’ve gone either way. No blame. It is a little worrisome that the Habs have really only once this season when Price wasn’t spectacular … but then isn’t that the system? Kidding/not really.

The officiating … here’s what I think. The Colin Campbell e-mails – quickly dismissed by a fawning media that depends on access and won’t bite the hand that feeds it – proved that, at minimum, the NHL front office is actively engaged in telling the referees which players and teams to call and which not to, often for highly dubious reasons such as family relation. That is a fact which is now a matter of public record. Why Campbell still has a job, I do not know. What I do know is that the Habs are clearly one of the teams that referees have been told to resist giving calls to, based on things like the O’Byrne cross-checks specifically and on the general disparity between their power-plays and penalty-kills generally. Somebody has to fix that, that somebody being the owner, Mr. Molson, who pays a lot of revenue-sharing cash and watches his team get screwed on a regular basis.

Saw nothing in this game to make me really regret losing O’Byrne. Good for him that he’s playing lots of minutes for Colorado … but their D is nothing to write home about.

The Habs record without Markov speaks for itself. He needs to be replaced, and preferably before the Habs drift down to 8th in the conference and are flirting with the playoff bubble.

I liked Pacioretty’s game again. And I actually thought Gomez looked good. The forwards in general – okay, AK46 was guilty in this one – were very good, but the defence wasn’t looking brilliant. PK Subban continues to be in a major funk since his stint in the press-box. He’s trying to play someone else’s game, and I don’t see the point. He’s a talent, and you have to let that work. It’s like in theatre: if I have an actor who has amazing strengths, I use them. I don’t try to make them do it the part in a way that goes against their abilities. PK is a Hamlet who’s being asked to play like a Rosencrantz. Okay, PK is actually more like a Feste, but I’m trying to make a point.

Full Breezer 4 Life

165. larisalapointe says:

Haha no Larry, that’s the Moosehead beer symbol in Saint John, New Brunswick.

166. Larry says:

Have you even watched a game this year? Seriously. I know they let them go, most of the time they are light taps to get the guy off his positioning and distract.Those shots by O’byrne were full force knock the man down blows. Those get called. At least on us they do.

167. Larry says:

Oh ok. Nice looking attraction. My roots are in Bathurst. If I get out there I will have to check that out. We have  huge Moose display in Hearst.

My earliest clear Hab memories go back to 71 too. So I guess we have both been on the train for the same number of years.

168. vic says:

They played a good game.

re AK he has put on the forth line and evry line by JM played well up to then

169. ManApart says:

I disagree. There is no way the refs are going to put the Avalanche down 2 players (or any other team for that matter) at the end of a 1 goal game. You can complain about it, but rarely will that be called. That’s not why they lost anyways. Far from it.

170. Bill says:

She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts.

Full Breezer 4 Life

171. punkster says:

“On pace for”. If you’re going to use a useless stat then use it properly. He is actually now on pace for 63 points. But he could be on pace for even more, or less, depending on how the next game goes. And the game after that. And the one after that. What’s Crosby’s OPF? How about Stamkos? Or try Kovalchuk. This is why nobody keeps track of OPF. Useless stat.

172. habguy says:

excuses are for losers!

173. Larry says:

No they lost for the want of 5 seconds at the end of the first and an inability to finish. I am not so sure though that if the situation were precisely reversed and it was Gill knocking a guy down that they would have hesitated to put the Avs two men up at the end of a one goal game. I think the officiating is biased against us for the last three to four years now and I think the evidence is overwhelming.

174. punkster says:

Rookie mistakes, Tom. He’ll learn and in the mean time we have to live with it. Either that or they send him back down or bench him again and I doubt either of those solutions are acceptable at this point.

175. Gindan69 says:

You know why nobody has made a stink about the reffing? Because nobody bets on the NHL. Had this been the NFL and the guy in charge been outed like Cambell was, 3 things would have happened. 1) Fired, 2) Senate committee investigation, 3) Eventually charged with manipulating the outcome of games. All because gambling on the NFL is huge business, while its peanuts in the NHL.

176. punkster says:

Under the “O”…On Pace For.

177. habguy says:

can someone please tell me why Darche(career minor leaguer) is always on the PP?

maybe because this team is so offensively challenged, or because his last name is french?

I guarantee if he had an english name, he wouldn’t even be on this team.

he’s totally useless!

178. Chuck says:

It speaks volumes when, with the goalie pulled, JM decides to go with six forwards and no defensemen. In a situation like that, where you can’t afford to turn the puck over and give up another goal, the big blast from the point (Subban) is watching from the bench.

Another message sent; hopefully it’s another one received.

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36

179. ProHabs says:

Not sure what you mean here Punkster as he is correct,  Gomez really is on pace for a whopping 35 points this year.

180. punkster says:

And you are an expert on the subject…

181. Larry says:

Bias against is not an excuse. Taking it over and over and saying and doing nothing is for losers.

You are pretty consistently anti Hab for a habguy.

182. punkster says:

10…9…8…7…

183. Chuck says:

On which part? An expert on excuses, being a loser, or both?

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36

184. larisalapointe says:

Love the Maritimes.  Downtown (Uptown for them)  Saint John is tiny but worth visiting. That’s where the moose is. I’d go back anytime.

’71, I was just a kid but I got to see Jean Beliveau’s last year and Ken Dryden’s first and I was hooked starting in the playoffs.   Thanks for reminding me of the good stuff  Larry.  :)

185. ProHabs says:

Whatever, he stands in front of the net and screens the goaltenders view. It is a job that we have been waiting 5 years for AK to do but he just seems to dense to do it.

186. punkster says:

It’s a useless stat. He has 6 points in the last 6 games. On pace for 50 more points to year end plus his 14 so far is a total of 64. Now, see how useless that stat becomes?

187. ManApart says:

He is on pace for 33 points punk. Check your math. 13 points in 32 habs games x 82. Anyways it was just to show how bad Gomez has been and how having a 2nd line center who is that poor in production cannot give you a good chance to beat the good teams in the league. gomez has 4 goals and 9 assists in 30 games this year. That is atrocious considering his salary. Probably the worst bang for your buck in the entire league.

188. punkster says:

Ha…you see how dumb that stat can be? You assume he continues on the same pace as the first 32 games. But the last 6 games he has a point per game. In fact I think he’ll probably now start bagging 2 point per game to year end, which will give him 100 more points plus his 14 to date. He will be on pace for 114 points! Well worth the salary.

Get real MA…the “on pace for” stat is useless no matter how you calculate it. Try another angle.

189. ProHabs says:

Oh Ok, I see what you mean. Just like if we only look at tonights game, we can say that Alex Pickard is on pace for an 82 goal season.

190. punkster says:

Actually, never mind. You’re not getting it.

191. Larry says:

It got me thinking about it too. Game 6 of the final I was making my first communion. I remember getting back to my Grandfathers’ in time for the third period, down 3-2. Frank and Peter Mahovlich scored to pull it out. I recall after the go ahead goal my Grandfather dancing on the coffee table and nearly passing out he was so excited. Great memory.

192. punkster says:

Now you got it PH ;)

There are far better ways for people to evaluate a player but “on pace for” means nothing unless you want to make your target look really good or really bad. Crosby is OPF 66 goals. WooHoo!

193. yukonhab says:

Should be a great game. Speed will be good.

Our youth will step up in a big way. Kostitsyn will deliver!

Support your local indian – Price 31

194. celticmccabe says:

Having a friend down here makes for a good excuse for a roadtrip weekend. Caught the sens in town on Friday. Ol footer is not what he used to be let me tell ya

195. MICP says:

Anybody know if their will be a USA link for tonights game yet?

196. Habnofear says:

I’m in no way a religious person but I say pray for the world in the next 2 hours concerning the two Korea’s ……It may really screw up tonight’s game………………………

197. _Habsoloutly_ says:

My father is one of the few surviving Canadian Korean war Vet’s.  A few months ago the South Korean goverment sent him a very nice letter thanking him for his service in defense of their country and inviting him to Korea for a ceremony.  Unfortunately his health isn’t great and he couldn’t go.

198. forumghost says:

I’m here in Korea right now, working in the office.  Everything is still very relaxed – the people here have been dealing with this stuff for almost 60 years.

Nevertheless, I have my radio on for any breaking news.

Hockey Morning (sunday!) in Korea

199. Former Jets Fan says:

LUKE!!!!!  FFS!  I need 6-219-02 RIGHT AWAY!  Get back on that forklift!

200. celticmccabe says:

Anyone else going to be at this game? Made the trek down from Winnipeg for this one

201. WestHab says:

sounds like a serious Sunday afternoon drive.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

202. BJT says:

Wow, that is a serious hike! Why don’t you just wait ’til the habs come to Minny?

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

203. MikeMcLaren says:

Your dedication is extremely admirable.  Hope they’ll get a win for you!

(Trying to figure out your closer NHL cities, 8 hours to Minneapolis, 15 hours to Chicago, 15.5 hours to Calgary, 16 hours to Edmonton, 21 hours to Dallas, 21 hours to Columbus)

Thing is if you’re a fan trying to travel to road games against Western Conference teams, it gets tough because of the way they alternate home and road visits year-to-year.

/\\ike GO HABS GO!

204. celticmccabe says:

Gonna be a bit of a wait bud. Good luck with the drs tonight

205. petrov14 says:

nice!!

206. andrewberkshire says:

That’s one of the most classy things I’ve ever heard.

207. _Habsoloutly_ says:

We thought so to. We had the letter plaqued and hung on the wall at the parents place. Very unsettling knowing they are on the verge of war.  Even more unsettling knowing the North may have a deliverable nuke.

208. Aerobiz says:

Wow, Props to South Korea for that… and your dad.

209. Da Hema says:

Thank you for sharing that with us. Not many Canadians realise South Korea today is a full democracy (not merely an “electoral democracy”) with an enviable standard of living. The sacrifices by your father and others were not in vain.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

210. andrewberkshire says:

Very scary situation. If China would stop pussy-footing around and show North Korea it means business this could all be avoided.

211. Jbird says:

My Grandfather was a Brigadier General in Korea. He passed away three years ago. I wonder what he would have thought about the invitation. Very proud probably. But overall I imagine he would be very sad and troubled of any talk that this war is going hot again due to the South doing military practices. The drums are banging loud now. War is unspeakably horrible.

212. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thanks for all the kind words folks.

213. avatar_58 says:

Beh….gotten so used to CBC and TSN HD games now I have to watch in SD on RDS.

Why didn’t I just choose Bell…..

214. TOEmastro says:

IMO, the HD RDS feed is the most crisp of the bunch.

Olé, olé, olé oleé

215. moonkid says:

Apologies if this has been asked, but where’s a good place to watch the game online? (besides adthe.net if possible, since I got a virus from there the other day)

Thanks!

216. Barts says:

Tim Peel Boo, but his counterpart Wes McCauley is one of the best.

217. phillyhab says:

Tom Kostopoulos.

218. Da Hema says:

Oh oh. Carey is getting that demeanour….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

219. Sheldon says:

Halak would have stopped that!

220. C3P1 says:

come on carey

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

221. JVF says:

Bad play by Picard, but Carey can’t let those through…

222. Keith says:

And they come back and tie it up again. UGGGG!!!!!

223. shootdapuck says:

Picard from hero to zero in less than 1 minute!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

224. C3P1 says:

halak also scored on himself…

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

225. MathMan says:

Hmm, interesting, Colorado has the most goals for per game of any team but they’re middling in shots. Catch goalies on bad games a lot?

226. Barts says:

Habs D getting killed by the Avs speed on the outside…

227. punkster says:

You’ve been saving that one, haven’t you ;)

228. Da Hema says:

Hero to zero. Wasn’t that a Black Sabbath song?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

229. Sheldon says:

It happens to the best of ‘em. Ask Ryan O’Byrne.

230. Rudy says:

I thought the exact same thing.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

231. Sheldon says:

Just setting up my electric bug zapper for the holidays. It’s sooooo beautiful. ZAP!!!

232. MathMan says:

It was bound to happen. Nobody’s a .935 goalie all the time.

233. showey47 says:

Lousy pass by picard which led to the goal but all 3 forwards were on the other side of the red line.

234. punkster says:

Too easy. Beneath you actually. Gotta set your sights a bit higher. It’s all about the challenge.

235. Da Hema says:

He does seem to be playing a bit smaller in the net than before….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

236. habs001 says:

eller and pouliot have to play better

237. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

WHAT A SAVE!!

KEEP IT UP CAREY!

238. Da Hema says:

Carey’s redemption!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

239. C3P1 says:

he wasnt going to play like that all season…his stats are still excellent.  im not really worried

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

240. avatar_58 says:

Now the REAL Carey Price stands up! :)

241. JIMVINNY says:

Well, Price made up for the bad goal on that save.

242. CHsam says:

THat’s the PRICE I want to see ! but YIKES, Avs got a fast attack

243. C3P1 says:

and somehow floppy mcfloppersteen has a SP of like 955…god he makes me mad

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

244. showey47 says:

Great save by price.

245. T-roy West says:

Chris Stewart is exactly the type of forward that we are missing. I would give up a lot to get him.

246. Sheldon says:

Well there was that great theological discussion on the other thread, but I decided to read St. Augustine’s Confessions instead of getting sucked into that vortex.

247. Keith says:

What a stop by Pricey!

248. MathMan says:

Here’s another guy who’s bound to come back to Earth sometime…

249. Barts says:

Never seen a player get more chances than Moen, if only he could finish.

250. JVF says:

WOW! What a save by Price!

251. Hockey Socks says:

I think JM should reunite the PHD line.

252. punkster says:

Wasn’t that something though? I read them earlier then took the dog for a walk. He has the runs. Reminded me of the that thread.

253. shootdapuck says:

It’s the end of period goal song.

Heard it far too much lately!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

254. Shiloh says:

Blaming AK46 for the giveaway was too harsh. Cammy gave it away along the boards and AK came back to try and recover it – he couldn’t corral it and then came the penalty.

255. T-roy West says:

AK46 always takes that same stupid shot. He is no Iginla from that spot.

256. OneTimer says:

Yo. Amex are dangerous. Christmas comes early?

257. JIMVINNY says:

What a dive.  Total BS.  That HAS to be called both ways, if you’re going to call it at all.

258. showey47 says:

Dive or not,you can’t put yourself in that position to give the ref a reason to call it. Why even put the stick on him in the first place? There was no play and you are 190 feet from your own net.

259. JIMVINNY says:

I’m not disputing that Lapierre is an idjit, I’m merely pointing out that the ref is too.

260. Bryan says:

Anyone have that Justin.tv link?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

261. db says:

Seems like every feed is bust right now… cjad it is.

262. habsfaninboston says:

Try channelsurfing.net. It’s working in the States.

263. zak says:

I hope OB shows JM and PG what a mistake they made. OB out of last years playoffs for Mab and this year Picard and traded for Bournival. Maybe if he were french he’d still be on the team.

264. JVF says:

Not. Overly. Optimistic.

265. Bugs says:

Hey!

A knight who says “Noo.”

266. Habnofear says:

Please keep us  informed….it sounds Cuban missile-esk !

267. captaink4life says:

Anyone have an RDS feed for the game???

justin.tv and atdhe.net aren’t working

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

268. petrov14 says:

I know! :_(

269. Danno says:

Okay. Time for a garbage goal. A nice greasy one.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

270. Bugs says:

With a nasty’ole cigarette butt stuck to it.

271. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sounds like a job for Moen the grass.

272. Chris L says:

Anyone else in the States with Comcast?  There is usually 1 or 2 games a night listed on the schedule in HD, yet 35-50% of the time it is blacked out.  Tonights game is supposed to also be in HD w/ the Avalanche feed, yet it is blacked out.  Only the Avs low-def feed is on now.  Anyone know why this happens?  I know if I call comcast I won’t get an answer

273. MikeMcLaren says:

Where in the US are you?  I’ve got FiOS in the Philadelphia viewing area and I’m not blacked out. It might be fruitless, but try calling 1-800-COM-CAST and tell them they’ve made a grave error!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

274. Rudy says:

I have Verizon Fios and it is channel 1481 (NHL channel 7 on the Center Ice Package). Colorado feed, but in HD.

275. habguy says:

Subban is killing us.

he’s becoming this year’s version of MAB, except without the shot.

and I notice Price now lettiung in a softie every game. that 2nd goal was brutal.

I hope he’s not morphing into what he was last year.

276. Chorske says:

Except that MAB was a one-dimensional role player whose role was to look kinda dopey and fire a cannon from the point, which missed more often than it hit. Subban is a rookie who moves the puck (generally) well, can shoot from the point (and will get better as he learns to speed up his release), throw the body, and generally piss off opponents. He is a long-term investment who is going to be great. No comparison to MAB.

277. Big Ted says:

Anyone wondering how we were high-sticked 4 times in 3 games with 0 calls and yet Eller gets called when his stick doesn’t even make contact? Yes, this is the NHL that Gary Bettman loves.

278. Bryan says:

Anyone have a working link?

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

279. MikeMcLaren says:

The Avs feed that I’m watching had the little line-up graphic at the top of the screen.  Looks like we’ve got a new second line center:

Gionta-Pacioretty-Gomes

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

280. Hockey Socks says:

Duchene is tenacious. Very hard-working player.

281. petrov14 says:

THANK-YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

282. forumghost says:

stream the game on channelsurfing.net – it’s working

Hockey Morning (sunday!) in Korea

283. since1988 says:

this link is working for anyone who still needs one

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

284. The Juice says:

You know its funny, game against the Avalanche used to be so intense right after the move from QC…now they might as well be playing LA…

285. CHsam says:

anybody got a good link for the game ?

286. JIMVINNY says:

Nice.  Our fourth line generates the best chance of the game for us.

287. Hockey Socks says:

Switching to RDS. TSN feed is frustrating.

288. JIMVINNY says:

That definitely should havebeen called.  At least they got the high sticking, but there should have been a boarding call first.

289. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Is the RDS link laggy or is it just my computer? lol

290. TOEmastro says:

really? What are they yapping about? Toronto sports  “We’ll praise any team but the habs” Network

291. Hockey Socks says:

Vintage Cammy!

292. Habhopeful says:

Dazzzzzzling!!!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

293. TOEmastro says:

F*** That was fast!

294. _Habsoloutly_ says:

sweet give and go.

295. punkster says:

How pretty was that?!!!

296. showey47 says:

yeah cammy!!!!!! nice give and go.

297. JIMVINNY says:

That was gorgeous.  Fantastic passing.

298. habsfaninboston says:

Cammmmmy!  Nice setup!

299. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

ET LE BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!

CAMMALLERI!

300. petrov14 says:

CAMMALLERI!!!!!!!!!

301. forumghost says:

very nice goal

Hockey Morning (sunday!) in Korea

302. Hockey Socks says:

They’re pro-Habs more or less, but its a cheap feed. Video quality and sound quality is terrible compared to RDS. Commentary is very amateurish.

303. TOEmastro says:

CJAD with the TSN feed, or RDS. The choice is yours

Olé, olé, olé oleé

304. avatar_58 says:

Habs aren’t capitalizing on mistakes…and colarado is making many of them

305. Chorske says:

Habs going through a rough spell, execution-wise, for maybe the past five games.

306. Shiloh says:

Maybe JM should use Pleks less on the penalty kill – but he’s so great at it. Pyatt could do it – but who do you sit?

307. BeachHabFan says:

moen. for no other reason than it’s his turn, though he should have slid in front of that point shot w 4sec left in the first period

308. TOEmastro says:

Maybe with the puck girls, on the ice, not so much

309. rocketsglare says:

Can someone please help Carey!!! This guy is F …ing keeping this team in the game and there’s nobody so

far who has stepped up to help win this game. It’s damn frustrating that the Habs are pissing away a game

that is certainly winnable. Stupid mistakes are killing this team tonight. What more can Carey do other than

score for this team. Common guys, don’t let Carey down!

310. JVF says:

This will test the mettle of our bunch…

311. Shiloh says:

I’m feeling optimistic – no particular reason. I think we’ll get outplayed in the 3rd but either Darche or Laps will tie it. Then we’ll score in overtime – Hamrlik from Pleks and Price.

312. JVF says:

Yup. Overtime sounds right to me, too.

313. Chris L says:

I’m in New Hampshire.  This happens all the time with the HD games. Last year when I talked to them, they said that if both feeds were on in low-def (both home and away) it could cause the HD to be blacked out… yet tonight there is only the Avs feed available, no RDS, no TSN, no CBC.  It is annoying.  FiOS isn’t available in my area.  Very close to converting to Directv.

314. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I am not optimistic at all.

This team has issues with offense. Not exactly the type of d-men you can trust under pressure (cough Picard..cough Subban).

I know I sound like a troll – but these last stretch of games have been painful to watch.

315. Rudy says:

Road trip momentum here

316. scrowe21 says:

Missing the game tonight. How is Pacioretty doing?

317. HabFanSince72 says:

very well

318. OneTimer says:

Eller is a hard-working hockey player with skill

319. OneTimer says:

GO HOME HABS IN THE BLOOD GO HOME

320. Da Hema says:

Too harsh.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

321. JIMVINNY says:

Make it count…

322. Shiloh says:

That’s at least half a dozen face-offs Pleks has been thrown out of in the last three games. The linesmen have been told something about him – and our coaching staff better figure it out.

323. T-roy West says:

Darche is a warrior!!

324. Hockey Socks says:

Wow! They pulled off an entire line change without losing the zone. That’s amazing.

325. win4ce says:

Darche was amazing on that sequence

326. Shiloh says:

We’ll let you know if you ever decide to employ it.

327. HabFanSince72 says:

Subban tripped – no call.

328. Hockey Socks says:

Sometimes I really don’t understand what Subban is thinking when he makes decisions.

329. andrewberkshire says:

This team just can not finish in the 3rd period. What the hell is wrong?

330. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Bench Subban now.

Nvm, rather have Picard benched.

331. Keith says:

Subban is struggling mightily tonight.

332. JIMVINNY says:

Subban hooked, then tripped, no call.  WTF are these refs watching?  That was a spectacular trip, there’s no way they could have missed it.

333. CHsam says:

Subban kinda looking not so hot tonight

334. Da Hema says:

It’s hard to understand why that wasn’t a penalty. It was only right in front of the officials….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

335. OneTimer says:

Hey! Where ya been? We haven’t seen you in a while. Oh, right. The team was winning, so you disappeared.

336. punkster says:

Avs are a good team, one of the best. I can see why as they jump on every mistake we make to create a scoring chance.

337. usversusthem says:

They just played Vertigo! An omen! We gotta score now, right?

338. John Cobb JR says:

O Byrne score on your net for us!

339. OneTimer says:

Honestly dude I don’t see it. Good yes, but not great.

340. usversusthem says:

P.K.’s too fast. Doesn’t have time for yer “thoughts.”

341. Hockey Socks says:

Pouliot tries to be too fancy sometimes.

342. punkster says:

Never said great. But you admit good and that’s all I’m saying.

343. avatar_58 says:

Ugh, they aren’t going to do it. Mistakes, turnovers and missed chances. Unless there’s a late PP I don’t see it

344. Bugs says:

You mean that shot on net from Gomie he just created?

345. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

F%^&.

This team cannot make a comeback. Offense is just brutal. No finish at all.

346. Da Hema says:

“Habs in the Blood” was just Timonised….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

347. HabFanSince72 says:

No offence from our defencemen.

They’re good at defending, but not one of them can generate offence.

348. Shiloh says:

MaxLaps will score on his next shift – a greasy goal.

349. Hockey Socks says:

His screw-up happened to work out that time, but he muffs a few chances a game. Less noticeable when they’re winning.

350. punkster says:

And I doubt he has the street cred to resurrect himself.

351. ManApart says:

What are you talking about? The team is playing .500 hockey over the last 20 games. If I was gone because they were winning, then why didn’t I come come back a month ago when they stopped?

352. OneTimer says:

I count 12 wins in the last 20 games (not including this one). I don’t know why you didn’t come back a month ago, but I’m sure glad you didn’t.

353. ManApart says:

Last 22 games including tonight. 11W-10L-1 OTL. There goes your brilliant theory that I wasn’t here for a while because they were winning. And as far as if you are happy I am here or not, go tell someone who gives a sh*t

354. habsfaninboston says:

Av’s 10-0 when leading after 2.  Habs 0-10 when trailing after 2.

Av’s averaging 4 goals per game at home.

Odds are against us.

355. avatar_58 says:

Yeah but I don’t have it

356. Hockey Socks says:

I’ve given up on him. Using him as trade bait near the deadline this year will give us enough space to receive players making $8-9 million in salary.

357. TOEmastro says:

nadda: you missed nothing interesting

358. Castor says:

Boone. What were you saying about Cammy liking playing with Pleks?

359. Bill says:

Cammalleri from Plekanec and Kostitsyn. Just as God intended. Please leave this line alone, Jacques!

Full Breezer 4 Life

I am watching the feed from Altitude.TV and they are giving props to the Habs. Complete homers calling the play by play, decent colour commentary and always speaking in good terms. AVs having the best offense, Habs the 2nd best defense. Habs #1 in their division, the Avs bumped to #2 after Van’s win. No vile. No venom. Mutual respect.

361. CHsam says:

Isn’t it GREAT ? Sensible and collected. Refreshingly McGuire-Free.

362. spcbrass says:

I know it’s refreshing especailly compared to those idiots at the CBC!

363. HabFanSince72 says:

The Avs have a lot to thank us for.

364. zak says:

Wonder why JM took Pouliot off the Eller- darche line

365. smiler2729 says:

So these are the Nordiques 15 years later, I still hate ‘em…

366. habs001 says:

ak46 needs arctic ice water poured on him ..he is one of the most frustrating players

367. Bill says:

Damn.

Full Breezer 4 Life

368. showey47 says:

FFS,so close to killing it off

369. avatar_58 says:

Why does this team have problems at the end of periods? I don’t understand it

370. JIMVINNY says:

GODDAM period ending goals!!!!!  F*CK!!!!!

371. TOEmastro says:

what a shot, wow

372. petrov14 says:

Damn!!

373. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Fackin’ hate these late goals – such a momentum killer.

374. C3P1 says:

come on! WTF!

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

375. the_larry says:

The Habs are KINGS at letting in late-period goals! No team does it as well as Montreal.

376. Keith says:

Damn I hate those late goals!!!

377. petrov14 says:

Im lying in net, just like Ryan Wilson did……

378. Barts says:

Lol, I guess the Avalanche’s announcer is the same guy that does the Monster Truck commercials…

379. Larry says:

That cursed late goal is becoming a pattern of late.

380. Castor says:

Last year it was getting out shot and not scoring 5 on 5.

This year the team’s Achilles heel is freaking late period goals against.

381. showey47 says:

Not really sure why AK is getting the hate for the penalty. Cammy threw it in his skates and spacek got caught up again when he should have been back.

382. the_larry says:

I would love to see stats for it, because Im certain no team lets in more goals with less than a minute to play, than does Montreal.

383. Exit716 says:

Kostitsyn is never going to amount to anything more than a 45 point player.

384. JVF says:

AK46 can sometimes be as soft as belarussian butter…

385. joe-hab-nuno says:

Bad pass from Cammi to Ak skate, but that was such a soft hooking penalty. Spacek barely grazeed the Av player

386. smiler2729 says:

Trade him to Nashville!!

387. punkster says:

I’m about ready for a bit of Subbangin’ baby.

388. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

He’s on pace for 52 ;)

But I still don’t want to see Kostitsyn return next year.

389. Mike Boone says:

AK46 had time to move the puck up ice. You can’t be that soft that close to your own goal.

390. JIMVINNY says:

Foote is trying to be the tough guy, going after Gomez.  Real brave.

391. showey47 says:

Are we talking about the same play? The turnover happened about 10 feet outside the blueline. Its easy to blame AK for the turnover but it was a crappy pass by cammy and where the heck was spacek going? If he’s in position the penalty never happens. It looked like spacek was looking to join the rush and got caught from the turnover.

392. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha, smiler bud, it’s not like I want the Habs to dump him.

But it’s just frustrating thinking that this player is now 26 years old, and he still hasn’t reached his potential.

He can easily get 40 goals if he really puts his mind into it. But he’s lazy. Same issue as Kovalev.

393. Exit716 says:

Andre Savard’s revenge.

394. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

PICAAARD!

2ND PPG!

YEAH!

395. habsfaninboston says:

Picky!

396. punkster says:

Yep.

397. petrov14 says:

I love you lethal Power Play!!

398. JIMVINNY says:

And all of that was possible because Patches was able to throw off Foote’s check, and knock his stick away at the same time.

399. Keith says:

Jean-Luc Picard!

400. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

WOW…

401. Propwash says:

That’s what she said!

402. punkster says:

Thanks to whomever for dumping Habs in the blood. Thinly disguised troll.

403. petrov14 says:

ಠ_ಠ

404. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

When your team can’t score against O’Byrne, you know your offense has issues.

405. Hockey Socks says:

Pleks hurt.

406. HabFanSince72 says:

oh oh.

407. Rudy says:

When??

408. OneTimer says:

Man I’m loving Gomez’s skating but he always puts on the breaks after he enters the zone and looks back to a trailing D to make a play…throw it on net dude!

409. John Cobb JR says:

Ah i know right dude

410. Hockey Socks says:

If he had Cammy’s shot, he’d be a machine.

411. John Cobb JR says:

I’m a Duchene fan. Good player, Hard worker

412. JIMVINNY says:

Pouliot just blew somebody up.

413. Da Hema says:

Yep. Like the avatar Bugs, although it sends a mixed message.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

414. forumghost says:

Here’s the game

Hockey Morning (sunday!) in Korea

415. John Cobb JR says:

Please cash in on this PP

416. HabFanSince72 says:

Interference!!

417. JIMVINNY says:

That should be interference against Foote.

418. Shiloh says:

Interference – blatant.

419. John Cobb JR says:

AHHH coming so close

420. punkster says:

2 blatant calls missed.

421. Mr.Hazard says:

AARRGGHHHH

422. Shiloh says:

How many crosschecks before they call one? We’re up to eight now.

423. Nahlsy says:

They just can’t seem to buy a clutch goal lately. Need one of those big ones when the team is trailing to rescue some points.

424. JIMVINNY says:

How many crosschecks are they going to let go?  That was ridiculous.

425. MICP says:

Avs dont lose when leading after 2 and Habs have not won when trailing after 2.  Nothing will change tonight.  See ya in Dallas.

426. avatar_58 says:

No excuse for this noise, are you kidding me? Open net after open net

427. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

NEVER SEEN A TEAM MISS SOOO MANY OPEN NETS.

HOLY COW.

428. JIMVINNY says:

Why didn’t O’byrne ever play like that with us?  No wonder they like him in Colorado.

429. Shiloh says:

Well I guess O’Byrne’s doing well in Colorado – they’re not calling 80% of his penalties.

430. Nahlsy says:

Defensive systems work great if you can get a lead to sit on. Not so much if you’re forced to play catch-up

431. Hockey Socks says:

6 forwards – wow! A Kirk Muller strategy?

432. John Cobb JR says:

Anderson is rattled. Let’s put one home

433. punkster says:

Hey, they’re givin’ it!

434. Rudy says:

Darche is getting pumelled

435. andrewberkshire says:

No kidding, cross-check machine.

436. Hockey Socks says:

Stinging loss.

437. avatar_58 says:

aaaaand back to sub 500 hockey lately I guess. Martin needs to work on WHY they keep letting in late goals and coasting when they should be capitalizing. That game could have been easily won with so many open nets and chances

438. Keith says:

Damnit! Bad start to the road trip. Good night!

439. habsfaninboston says:

Cheap shot by Anderson on Darche at the end.

440. JIMVINNY says:

F*cked again.  Total BS reffing in the 3rd.  We should have had a 5 on 3 in the last couple of minutes there.  And WTF is wrong with Subban and Picard?

441. andrewberkshire says:

Givin’ it only goes so far. Not one comeback win for this team in 33 games. Very very pathetic for a team this good. Lack of offense from defense is showing big time with Hamrlik gone cold, and Picard has gone from serviceable to one of the worst defensemen in the league.

442. Vid says:

More like why was O’Byrne never played with us?

443. HabFanSince72 says:

They were not bad. Subbie made one blunder but he’s the only d-man with any zip. Picard was fine.

444. Mr.Hazard says:

That’s the secret!

445. HabFanSince72 says:

O’Byrne did not have a good game. Not awful but not good. He should have had a pen for those cross checks.

446. avatar_58 says:

Oh give me a break that PK turnover was off side and Picard’s blunder could have been stopped by Price. I’m more angry about the total lack of good shots on net, not shots AT their goalie.

447. DearyLeary says:

Should be a fun game regardless of the outcome.  I think we’ve got the chops on the back end to keep it competitive, and we’ve got enough firepower to win this one against a team that gives up a lot of goals.

The formula will be what it always is: opportunistic goal scoring coming from a structured defense that keeps scoring chances to the perimeter.

448. Hockey Socks says:

He went off mid-shift in pain, but he’s back now so its all good.

449. andrewberkshire says:

Picard really sucks.

450. punkster says:

Ouch…to everyone on the ice for that one.

451. Habnofear says:

Dang-! Av’s got a good team…

452. Hockey Socks says:

Price a bit weak on that.

453. habsfaninboston says:

C’mon Price.  Gotta make those saves.

454. avatar_58 says:

Oh come on Price :( I’m one of your biggest fans but goddamn he only had low to shoot….

455. petrov14 says:

By the time the page re-loaded from my comment it was 2-2. ARRRGGGGG!

456. JIMVINNY says:

F*ck.  Price’s biggest weakness.  Five hole on an odd-man rush from his left.

457. punkster says:

How you figure? Seriously, where are the stas for that?

458. OneTimer says:

Can’t hate on Picard too hard after his goal, but..

459. Propwash says:

Weak goal, shake it off Carey.

460. MICP says:

Avs keep winning and were back losing.  We may be lucky to win 1 on this trip.

461. Lafrich says:

What was with those crosschecks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!?!?! DAMMIT!

462. dhenry1234 says:

So who should sit next game for the return of Webber? I’d say Subban. Picard was actually able to produce a goal.

463. JIMVINNY says:

Just an observation.  He’s let in a few weak ones in that fashion.

464. punkster says:

Hmmm…he just stopped that one so maybe not eh.

465. OneTimer says:

Bring on the trolls. I feel good about this loss. Habs scrapped hard and just couldn’t buy a goal. I didn’t think the Avalanche were dangerous all night, except on 1 PP. If we play this hard every game of the road trip, we should come out with more wins than losses.

466. Habnofear says:

Was Anderson a goalie or a Defence man….the dude’s crazy!

467. John Cobb JR says:

Heard he takes NO Explode before every third period haha. He went beast mode

468. Rudy says:

Dallas is going to be a tough game

469. Propwash says:

That was totally redonk.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

470. topher5468 says:

How much longer can this team keep going with AK46, I know he’s an immense talent but his poor play out weighs his good play, This was a winable game, turnovers killed us again

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

471. avatar_58 says:

Beh and who cares if they don’t quit, who are we Toronto? I’d rather see wins than “oh well they played hard” for the last few weeks. They need to get in there and score dirty goals. A simple shot at the empty net would suffice. Anderson was so out of position on angressive saves this should have been tied early.

Good hockey game. That is one quick Avs team. Their wingers blew past the Habs defense more than once.

473. punkster says:

Our 3 experienced veterans looked a bit like 3 ancient mariners at times. Those Avs are a speedy bunch.

474. showey47 says:

Now that was a stupid penalty.

475. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Cmon Lapierre man….wtf

476. avatar_58 says:

Lapierre WHAT are you doing? Come on

477. Barts says:

Dive by Liles, and then Ol’ man Foote has to swing by…

478. punkster says:

Kind of a weak call but still…dumb Laps.

479. shootdapuck says:

Brilliant offensive zone penalty – Yappierre!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

480. Shiloh says:

Yip – great name for a golfer.

481. Keith says:

Pricey with the big glove save!

482. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

CAREY PRICE!

QUEL ARRET!

483. petrov14 says:

Glove me tender!

484. Da Hema says:

Glove Will Keep Us Together.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

485. JIMVINNY says:

This years Price still lets in the odd weak goal, but he doesn’t fall to pieces everytime it happens like he did last year.

486. Da Hema says:

Redemption again!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

487. OneTimer says:

Nice save but that looked offside to me. Also, I was &$#%ing bricks during that PK.

488. avatar_58 says:

Gill needs to work on his skating and pinching decisions. When he has to turn right around to skate back I get very worried I’m witnessing a goal. I mean come on, I don’t expect Olympic figure skater speed, but you need to work those big legs

489. JVF says:

WOW! Price again!

490. twilighthours says:

Except for a few flurries recently, the Habs are the much better team.  Toying with the Colorado D.  If we stick with the game plan then this should be a win.

Price reminds me of a Patrick Royish Martin Brodeur and the Habs look like a Detroit Red Wingsish New Jersey Devils.

492. showey47 says:

maxpac gets away with one

493. CHsam says:

Laying bricks sounds like hard and slow work. One at a time.

494. Shiloh says:

Horrific clear by PK – and we pay every time he does it.

495. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

WTF Subban…

496. petrov14 says:

WTF???!!

497. JIMVINNY says:

They ran Price over!!!! That can’t be a goal!!!!!

498. HUDSONHAB says:

Another PK give away….Hab4life….

499. showey47 says:

review but it will probably count,weak clearing attempt by PK though.

500. twilighthours says:

Ugly goal.  Also looked offside to me.

501. shootdapuck says:

Weak weak clear by Subban!

LAZY play!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

502. smiler2729 says:

lol, that’s kinda right

503. dhenry1234 says:

Subban and Picard haven’t impressed me in a very long time… another goal I blame on that defensive pairing tonight.

504. Barts says:

That’s a goal. Weak play by on the boards by Subban, and then he’s just plain soft. BRUTAL. And Price hasn’t been good either.

505. Shiloh says:

Looks like he guided it in with his right elbow.

506. petrov14 says:

Should be interference either way….

507. Habnofear says:

good goal

508. HabFanSince72 says:

PK… bad give-away and very soft afterwards.

509. The Teacher says:

Was that offside?

510. punkster says:

Another ouch…this time Subban with another braincramp.

511. twilighthours says:

What’s a “bad” goal?

512. B says:

The Avs lead the league in goals per game and are tied with Montreal, Vancouver, Tampa, Nashville and Washington for 6th overall. The flip side flip side for Colorado is that they are 27th in goals against per game. Montreal should be able to (and need to?) score a bunch against them. It may be tough to try and squeak out a point or two in a low scoring game. The Avs have not been shut out yet this season and have been held to 1 goal only 3 times.

513. WestHab says:

OB, please don’t do anything to make me hate you.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

514. scrowe21 says:

I hope he gets their only goal.

515. TOEmastro says:

VO2 max for an athlete decrease anywhere from 8%-11% for every km above 1.6km above sea level and takes an average of 6 MONTHS of training to adapt. In other words, the altitude is only really a problem when you first get off the plane and make you tired for a few days because they aren’t high enough to be too much of a problem, especially for anerobic activities (lactic and alactic systems, such as hockey) It’s a good thing they had a few days off, they’re gonna need it.

516. andrewberkshire says:

What a farce.

517. DearyLeary says:

I don’t know how that isn’t goaltender interference.

518. T-roy West says:

Wonder how many games it will take for Subban to get his s**t together.

519. petrov14 says:

FFS!

520. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Picard…Subban…they really need to step up.

521. NightRyder says:

If I had to guess, I’d say O’Byrne tries too hard tonight, makes a few mistakes and plays a poor game. He’ll then go back to playing extremely well again.

On a semi-related note, I was at the Toronto-Vancouver game last night, tortured by the knowledge that both teams could not lose.

I took some solace, however, in the fact that Komisarek was absolutely terrible. Just awful. Really, really awful in a way that makes you feel good about his long-term, fat contract and minimal production for the Loafs.

He made Gomez look like a league-minimum bargain.

522. Hockey Socks says:

At what point does PK sit in the press box again? This can’t continue to be a nightly occurrence.

523. Larry says:

I thought that was goaltender interfernce myself.

Price has to be allowed the freedom to make a play

524. spcbrass says:

They call it a good goal and then the faceoff is next to price…That should have been at center ice after the goal.

525. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

What’s up with these stupid offensive zone penalties?

526. SeriousFan09 says:

Too much to ask for a Komisarek-type game from OB?

Seriously, Colorado is putting up the goals though but the advantage is weakened when you consider how many goals are ending up in the back of their net. It will be hard with such a quick team and half the D being members of the 35+ club though, trick is not to let them dictate the pace of the game. I favour our side in goaltending though and with the Habs being a generally stingy team, their lack of strength at D will allow the Transatlantic and AMEX lines to give them a hard time.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

527. BJT says:

I believe the real question is, do I start Budaj in my fantasy pool?

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy