They never quit

Furious third-period action.

But Craig Anderson stood tall.

1. JD_ says:

OB, schmOB.

Any guy wears the CH and it’s pretty much standard operatin’ procedure for the OCD-afflicted, knee wobblers to fall to pieces if and when he’s moved. Oh, sweet Jeebus, whatever will the Habs do without that guy?

OB’s a good shit. He’s playin’ for Colorado. He’s happy there. The Habs got a decent prospect in return. Four quarters for a buck. Neither is ever likely to be the difference between a Stanley Cup and a hole in the wall.

Stay focused and keep yer eyes on the effin’ prize. The only guy who needs to feel frustrated today is Eli Mannin’ or yer average Loafs fan, assumin’ the latter is even any longer capable of actually sensin’ frustration.

Avs gotta keep their heads up. There’s a PKHeatSeekerlurkin’ out there. Subbang, baby!

2. Shiloh says:

Two daughters, son, daughter-in-law and grandson coming over tonight to watch the game – all Habs fans. I’ve walked the dog, brought in some firewood and stocked the fridge. RDS is a beautiful thing. The hapless Loaf fans up here pay through the nose for the self-inflicted torture of watching over 80 Loaf games. I pay $2.49 a month for all the Habs games plus about 15 others.

3. NoTinFoilCups says:

Hey Boone! Knock off with the football and get some comments going here. Where’s our pregame primer?

NFL blech! ;>)

4. Shiloh says:

Thirty years of teaching English – haven’t marked writing since ’03…

Notwithstanding that the Habs will always be my team, I hope O’Byrne makes many people eat crow tonight. His statistics indicate that he already has made some eat crow. It was an epic mistake to deal him to another team.

5. avatar_58 says:

If they knew Markov would go down Obyrne would have gotten a shot. Bad luck really.

It;s a shame Habs don’t play western conference teams more often. I mean… playing caroline or atlanta is fine once in a while but there isn’t any appeal in that.

Who schedules a family party on a Habs game night? You need to find you another family.

Is there a problem with Weber and Picard sitting? I mean, if OB was doing as well as he is doing in Col we’d be saying Weber who? Ah… still saying Weber who?

I am not unhappy for OB. I am unhappy habs traded him instead of giving him a fair shot… you know, kind of shot Gomer is given.

10. avatar_58 says:

I always liked Obyrne so I have no trouble being happy for him, kind of bummed we even traded him. Mind you I understand it, given how many d-men we have. If we kept Obyrne then Picard, Weber or PK would sit.

It’s a shame we couldn’t have developed Obyrned instead of signing Picard though….

11. Captain aHab says:

Stafford? That was Stanton.

How about dem chokin’ Giants……that K will be mopping floors next week.

12. andrewberkshire says:

Because Hamrlik, Spacek, Gorges, Gill, Subban, Weber and Picard were all outplaying him. That so hard for you to understand Mr. Rubin?

13. HabLion says:

Feels good finally!  They would have been easily .500 this year with Stafford and that first game in Chicago stolen.  Here’s hoping for playoffs next year!

14. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I like Desharnais a lot, but you have to admit, for Boyd, being in the AHL might be a little easier than the NHL. The gap between the leagues is a big one, and many an AHL superstar has never held on to a job in the NHL. I wish Boyd the best, but if he scores a few, I’m gonna get pretty sick of his being the next superstar bruised and wounded by the evil Count JM.

15. Harani says:

Going to a family Christmas party so no game for me tonight! Do Greek restaurants in the Old Port have RDS? Thought so.  Go Habs Go!

“It must be love!”

16. Exit716 says:

Pretty impressive shredding of Tampa’s defense too by a third string QB.

17. andrewberkshire says:

I hope he’s solid, finishes even but we kick Colorado’s ass.

18. Castor says:

agreed. I hope he is awful tonight and good the rest of the year.

19. andrewberkshire says:

Don’t understand why people just can’t be happy for O’Byrne. He wasn’t going to ever have a regular job on the Habs, he got an opportunity in Colorado and seized it. No hard feelings, we got a blue chipper in return.

20. the_larry says:

How ’bout them Lions?! 2 W’s in a row! If Stafford can stay healthy, they will be a .500 team next year IMO.

21. Jbird says:

More than Amazing! uhhhhhhh – What the heck was that?  Vick Single handedly tied the game.  The end was uhhhhhhhhh.  Speachless.

For Habs fans who hate NFL this is like the 5-0 Rangers game, only 100 times more important for the standings and with much less time to come back.

22. Danno says:

Come to think of it, it does look like a large purse…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

23. punkster says:

Hey, you’re warm and safe. By the looks of the NOAA site you could have had a few snowy hours on the road there and back. Put your feet up, open a cold one, sit back and enjoy the show Dan.

***Subbang!!!***

24. danp says:

I’m sitting home today. The Habs are playing in the city nearest to me with an NHL team – a mere 425 miles or so. I could drive it in about 6 hours. That’s not a bad trip and Broncos fans do it all the time. Hotel is cheap. Seats on the glass at the Pepsi Center were available yesterday for $145. My son doesn’t want to go (he’s an Avs fan).

So, I’ll sit at home and watch it on TV with an extra $290 burning a hole in my pocket.

Dan

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Timo’s a real ray of sunlight ain’t he?

Worst Hab fan in Canada?

26. Johnny_D says:

Jebus man, it’s not like we traded Chris f-ing Chelios … it’s O’Byrne.  Good for him, he seems to be a solid addition in Colorado, but for Pete’s sake stop talking like we lost a Norris trophy candidate.

27. TOEmastro says:

Read my post below, I mentioned the EXCI phys for performing at altitute. Les boys keep the shifts short and under Aerobic threshold, they can play the whole game without problems

28. B says:

All those short Habs are not as affected by the altitude as taller players are :)

29. Wayne says:

lawlz… nice one

30. rocketsglare says:

That’s why JM must play the lines on shorter shifts than normal and have portable oxygen available for the players.

31. B says:

If he plays lights out to earn a call-up, there is a chance some other team would pluck him off recall waivers for half of his pro-rated $650,000 (with Montreal on the hook for the other half).

32. Johnny_D says:

I heard OB was seen running out of the terminal with Hickey’s wife’s purse…

33. Born in a Bad Year says:

Total mistake to get rid of him.

He is currently +13, on track on pace according to NHL.com to reach +39. He brought Liles up from +4 to +15.

The last time a Hab defenceman was over +20 was in the nineties.

The Avs gave him a spot with their “Markov” and let him play.  The Habs went out every year and picked up loose ends and rejects and played them above their defenceman who could play big and tough.  O’Byrne is a smarter, bigger version of Komisarek.

Yep, I bet Subban spends all he off ice time watching Bruins games. THere is so much to learn from watching a team Habs continually b!tchslap back to the last century.

35. rocketsglare says:

Are you kidding me! With 14 seconds to go, the Eagles win on a 65 yd punt return. Amazing.

36. ABHabsfan says:

I am glad that OB is doing well, it is good to see a guy get a second chance and do well. However I am sure all the Habs know that OB’s weakness is his lack of foot-speed and this will be exposed tonight. You can’t block shots and hit guys if they are behind you

37. OneTimer says:

You…complain…so…much. The team’s good and it’s winning. Enjoy it.

Should they lose though, they can always use the altitude excuse.

Khe… I know how Hickey’s luggage got lost. OB was sighted at the airport. Coincidence? I think not.

40. OneTimer says:

Let’s win it for Boone’s luggage!!

41. rocketsglare says:

Vick has single handily brought the Eagles back from sure defeat. A spectacular performance indeed by Vick.

42. The Teacher says:

Michael Vick, whatever you think of him, is one heck of an athlete!

43. TOEmastro says:

NO! no one does that! no one makes a new account when they’re banned! They sulk and feel shame and just watch from the bench.

44. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Epic mistake huh?  lmfao

45. punkster says:

Man you do push the envelope Stephen. What’s the point of stirring the pot if you can’t take a few shots in return? Most of the regulars here know you and know exactly how to counter your aggressiveness. Talk hockey? Try commenting without the aggressive whine. Physician heal thyself.

***Subbang!!!***

46. JIMVINNY says:

See?  That wasn’t so hard.

To answer your question, if you aren’t going to make the effort to write an articulate post, I’m not going to make an effort to decipher your drivel.

All in good fun, of course.

47. JIMVINNY says:

I’d simply like to be able to understand what you’re trying to say.  That gibberish you posted previously is incomprehensible.

48. Habnofear says:

I must be Casper the  Habs fan ….and you should talk hockey!

49. Habnofear says:

How is this my fault:)

50. TorontoHabsFan says:

How long do you think you have until you get banned again xtra?

51. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’ve long believed that there’s no player more scrutinized/agonized over than the 6th/7th Defenceman. Even more than the goalie it seems. Witness Brisebois a few years back (and Aki Berg in Toronto around the same time).

I mean, even with the injury to Markov, O’Byrne would still be behind Subban, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gorges, and Gill on the depth chart. We are talking about, at best, the 6th defenceman.

He didn’t work out in Montreal, ho hum. Picard/Weber have.

The amount of virtual ink spilled over this player is completely outsized to any contribution he ever could make on the ice.

52. rocketsglare says:

The Habs can’t afford to come out slow and let the Avs control the flow and momentum of the 1st period. They

must come out and set the tone early with their speed and skill and frustrate the young guns of the Avs with a

physical game. By playing disciplined, patient, and opportunistic on both ends of the ice can the Habs prevail.

Should be a great game tonight between two good teams.

53. Habnofear says:

Look ,talk hockey or go back to watching Dr Phil!

54. Ed says:

O’Byrne leads the Avalanche in even strength ice time per game with 17:43, while poor Markov leads the Canadiens with 17:18.

O’Byrne is 2nd on Colorado in hits with 54 in just 18 games, & 2nd
    in blocked shots as well with 47. He seems to be doing ok with his new
    team.

TSN had an interesting article on him yesterday, comparing his
    experience in Colorado with that in Montreal. I think it’s too bad the Canadiens
    gave up on this big guy, who showed himself to be a class act while
    playing for the Canadiens.

Traded to the Avalanche, he’s gone from a forgotten man to a fixture in the lineup.
    “They’ve welcomed me with open arms,” said O’Byrne, who will face his
    former team Sunday night. “The times were tough in Montreal. But I’ve
    got that pleasure back in the game.”

It should be a very interesting game. GO HABS!

55. TorontoHabsFan says:

Stop complaining so much.

56. Habnofear says:

So we have no need for both eh and at their price….do you read your post?

57. Habnofear says:

Is this a hockey blog?And if so don’t post unless it’s hockey  JIMBO….

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Or he’s another in a line of players who couldn’t handle the pressure of playing in MTL. OB’s struggles did not start under JM, this is the toughest market in the NHL to play in which means a high turnover rate at times.

There’s a reason the Habs are so interested in acquiring guys with leadership experience like Tinordi, Ellis, Bournival and the like, they want players with strong character from a very young age.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

59. scrowe21 says:

I feel kinda bad for him. Even if he goes on a better scoring streak than Max did, I doubt theyll call him up again. He was awful.

60. TorontoHabsFan says:

Stop complaining so much.

O’Byrne didn’t work out in Montreal, but is in Denver. Picard didn’t work out in Ottawa, but is in Montreal.

c’est la vie.

61. Habnofear says:

Explain to me how O’bryne  was an instant success  with the Avalanche….I tell you why ,he’s a big tough young Canadian defender who is now something the Habs need to acquire and his true record is with the Avalanche. His biggest problem? He’s 8 inches to tall for the Habs,lol

62. JIMVINNY says:

Learn grammar, please.

63. TorontoHabsFan says:

You also complain too much.

64. Habnofear says:

As much as the Habs will always be mine ,I hope O’bryne make’s plenty EAT CROW tonight! ( he already has) That was an epic mistake dealing him elsewhere!

65. Max_a_million says:

He wasn’t horrible, and how tough is it to play when you don’t get regular ice time.

Pro sports is about getting in a rhythm, which has been impossible at times around here for young players.

The benefit of a coach who demands perfection at all times, is we play super away from the puck and consistent hockey.  The downfall is it is really tough on young players to thrive.  The good is good enough to outweight the bad, but it’s still okay to see the disappointment and flaw in not seeing out the potential in a guy like O’B.

66. Max_a_million says:

Funny …

Subban does it in the course of a game … I betcha Savard, Bergeron, et al have their heads on swivels when they cross our blue line with Subbie Doo back there.

Notice the Bruins didn’t push us around the other night with Patches, PK, Eller … we are slowing evolving into a bigger tougher team.

67. Malreg says:

O’Byrne played horribly under 3 different coaches (Carbo, Gainey, Martin).  At some point, it’s not the coaches fault anymore.

68. TorontoHabsFan says:

You complain too much.

69. Max_a_million says:

Now Boyd is doing really well.  So if everyone who plays with David Desharnais excels, then what does that say about him?  Remember how Markov made the guys he played with look like stars, and it was finally realized that Markov was the reason for it.

I like our centres, but I am not at all opposed to giving Eller some heavy minutes in Hamilton.  It seems like the coaches are doing a wonderful job developping players there, and I would like to see Desharnais get some time with the Habs.

We have nothing to lose getting him some time … it seems like he might be special.

70. avatar_58 says:

Listen to the last few seconds of this clip

Would it be so wrong to have PK and OB on our defense? But no, JM can’t have a young guy who makes a few mistakes here and there. That privilege is only reserved for 8 mil per guys. I hope OB just has a quiet +/- 0 game and doesn’t take anybody’s head off.

72. B says:

2 more goals for Boyd last night. That’s 3 in 2 games so far, a good start with the Bulldogs.

73. Danno says:

Ryan O’Byrne is such a hit he’s now featured in this video along with other noteable defencemen. His appearance is at the 2:30 mark.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”