The reverse-jinx is alive!

And your Montreal Canadiens beat a very good hockey team.

300 ws for Vigneault?

Not in this house. Amazing

1. Ayan_SB says:

Crosby scored 51 goals last year to make for Guerin’s ineffiency. Who’s next, Chelios?

2. matraque says:

Nothing can beat a “ET LE BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Habs english coverage is horrible.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

3. MikeMcLaren says:

Well, Teemu Selanne’s fifth in NHL scoring right now.

Did anyone think he had that in him prior to this season?  I took him in the 10th round in my hockey pool (and was subsequently arrested for theft!)

4. MikeMcLaren says:

But as told to Don and EJ on today’s NHL Live, the best part of that for Bissonnette is that Lidstrom came up to him during the game or warmups and said, “Hey, I’m a big fan of your tweets, read them all the time.”

Paul Bissonnette says that’s the highlight of his career.

The guy’s just money.

5. matraque says:

Signing Guerin is ridiculous…

He’s tired and cannot play anymore.

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

6. Jordio-oh says:

haha oh man, WHAT was he thinking?

I’m not sure if my friends and I have yelled louder at the tv all season (except for when the habs score).

7. Ayan_SB says:

“Pulling a Gomez” can also stand for having a breakaway opportunity and slowing down and turning it into a two-on-two.

8. Ayan_SB says:

I still have an Eric Daze McDonald’s hockey card, along with one of former Vezina winner Jim Carey.

Eric Daze bio on Wikipedia: Unfortunately, Daze ran into severe back problems during his career, which limited him to only 19 games in the 2003–04 NHL season. Even after three herniated disc surgeries in a five-year span, pain was still a problem in Daze’s back when he attempted to return to the Blackhawks in 2005.
    He quietly left professional hockey after playing a single period in
    the season opener for the Blackhawks that season. On March 20, 2010,
    Daze officially announced his retirement on the Comcast Sportsnet
    pregame show before the Hawks game.

9. Ayan_SB says:

I wish Stephane Auger was refereeing the game as well, then at least we’d have some kind of balance.

10. Ayan_SB says:

Speaking of Biz Nasty, he recently pulled a hilarious prank on Oliver Ekman-Larsson, his rookie teammate, and a very promising defenseman I might add. The Coyotes were playing in Detroit, and Bissonnette txted OEL (in Swedish) pretending to be none other than Nicklas Lidstrom, asking him if he wanted to hang out after the game. The rookie wrote back saying that Lidstrom is his idol and he would love to. Eventually he caught on to the fact that Biz Nasty was just yanking his chain.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Best voting campaign ever, I can’t wait for some new YouTube attack ads.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. kempie says:

It’s gonna be a long night.

13. andrewberkshire says:

14. MikeMcLaren says:

As long as Paul Bissonnette is voted in as a starter, everything else is gravy. #VoteBizNasty!

15. Top Corner says:

ha ha ha , a blast from the past indeed, i forgot all about that guy  ….

16. Harani says:

Changes coming to the All-Star game format. Fans would still vote for the starters and Team Captain would draft players from pool assembledd by Hockey Ops.

Doesn’t that put the Captain in a very bad spot? They will all feel like Stevie Y did when choosing Team Canada. But there is a possibility this concept would fly.

Pass or fail?

“It must be love!”

17. DearyLeary says:

Well, might as well not watch tonight.

18. notbigbird says:

My money is on crosswords, but it could be sudokus.

19. habsforthecup says:

As per Dave Stubb’s twitter…. Chris Lee is the ref tonight… *gags*
    – A

20. king ddd says:

imo.. nucks are an overrated team with an overrated goalie. now the the question i wanted to ask. what happened to ERIC DAZE? last time i saw him play hockey he was named all star MVP. i always wanted him to play for the habs. Suddenly he disappeard. What happened to him?

21. ZepFan2 says:

Well “baked Alaskan” equates to Sarah Palin for me.

I agree 100%. She’s definitely cringe-worthy.

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

The beta version of Line Scrambler v 3.0 is out, apparently it fixed the bug that kept Gomez and Gionta together. But you did miss Cammy-Gomez-Gionta.

23. fuhgawz says:

the media whore – any mention of her name makes me cringe

24. LizardKing1967 says:

two points….

1) Sign Bill Guerin at 500K

2) Habs did fine in the playoffs against the “top contenders” They’ll be fine tonight.

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

25. ZepFan2 says:

What about Sarah Palin?

~Serge Savard~

26. StevieRay says:

SHG line ….. slow….hesitant….gastritis

27. StevieRay says:

TSN2 in the Maritimes .. I think they’re carrying about 25 weekday games …GREAT !

28. kirbhabs says:

Admitedly true about Pronger… though he tends to be an anomaly… and for what ever reason is allowed to get away with it.

I would like to see Gill more aggressive too, but really. He is tall and lanky, and not in his nature… so not going to change now.

29. StevieRay says:

Baked Alaskan !

30. cameronwalker89 says:

We have to get both LAPS, GOMER and GIO out of their slumps. So im all for shaking things up. But, once we find that winning combination god help Martin if he shakes it up again. (CARBO)

“The day you hear someone call me captain will be the day I buy a boat.”
    -The Flower

31. avatar_58 says:

Hopefully there’s more scoring and less “Gomezing” of the puck (backpass to no one)

32. mbplekfan says:

Lapierre’s reward for being terrible is a promotion. Funny how that works…

33. gmd says:

If you’re in BC it’s on Sportsnet Pacific.

34. cameronwalker89 says:

Out west here its on Sportsnet Pacific.

“The day you hear someone call me captain will be the day I buy a boat.”
    -The Flower

35. ZepFan2 says:

Apple or cherry?

Gotta go with the cherry.

~Serge Savard~

36. fuhgawz says:

throw in a turn over or two as well

37. fuhgawz says:

is this game on TV anywhere other then RDS?? i can’t believe with the bulk of the Canadian teams playing tonight TSN is showing the Caps VS Rangers game absolutly stupid.

38. Antho says:

He should put spacek and hamrlik centered by Gomez 😉

There is a line making over 15 mil =)

39. Mr.Hazard says:

Sounds like downgoesbrown material.

40. StevieRay says:

I’m going out on a limb for tonite’s game and predicting …. ..Gomez won’t score

41. MikeMcLaren says:

Apparently Jacques Martin has picked up Guy Carbonneau’s coaching software: Line Scrambler v 2.0

How many combinations have we seen with the Gomez line this year?  Are there one of those microstat sites that keeps track of this kind of thing?  I really don’t even think I can do these by memory

Of all of these, there’s a glaring omission, unless I just missed it.

Why not try Eller-Gomez-Gionta?

42. Antho says:

Your points are solid but I still think they need to allow price to see shots.

They cant execute transition all the time because Hamr, Spak, and Gill cant make an outlet pass

When pucks get by Pronger and create rebounds, the guy looking for the rebound is face first on the ice before he can even wind up; here in montreal the same guy gets 2-3 chances wacking at the puck.

Gill is 8ft, he should be smashing people in front of price instead of standing in front like a pylon with a stick taped to it

43. makka83 says:

you mean that pre-season is not enough to prove himself?

44. Mr.Hazard says:

I agree with all of that.

Somehow, Halak always manages to excel in the statistical department. Playing behind the same team as Price last year, his stats were superior, and playing behind a completely different team this season, he is top 5 in every category. He even had impressive stats in junior.

As long as Price gets the job done, I’m satisfied. But the stats thing is peculiar.

45. kirbhabs says:

Few Points.

1. Comments about our D can not clear the front of our net is a old concpet, this is the old NHL. Today all teams leave guys infront of their net due to it is a sure penalty.  It is likely correct that our D would not be able to clear the net if it were 5 years ago, but this is not a job criteria anymore.  Blocking shots and quick transition is… which is what we have.

2. To the point of 1, why do we not have a big Fwd able to go to front of the net?  We could easily be getting dirty goals… Gionta can not be the guy, goalies litterly look over him and he scores from 8-12 feet out… so do not put him there.  What about Schultz… could he have enough speed and talent to play up from for the 2nd line.  I really hope Laps has given up on him being the play maker… he could easily be the ugly man in front of the net, defelctions and dirty goals.

3. Our team gets pushed to the outside when we play Philly, Boston… and surprising Ott the other night.  But when it is speed against speed… we do well.  IE Was, Pits…. and hopefully VAN.  We have a good chance tonight, Van is not use to another team being able to skate with them or having speed sent upon them.  Should be interesting.

4.  I am living in Van and am going to get it tomorrow if our HABS do not pull off a win… so bring it tonight boys!!!

46. MikeMcLaren says:

I’d love to see what those notes are… would be a great satire piece for someone to do – Jacques Martin’s notebook retrieved from the Bell Centre trash.

47. MikeMcLaren says:

Is Roberto Luongo an elite level goalie?

Is Tim Thomas?

48. Hockey Socks says:

I guess the prevailing feeling amongst most of us is that he hasn’t exactly had a very fair chance to try and prove himself at the NHL level. But I’m also in the camp that has very low expectations for Desharnais.

49. Antho says:

They do block shots don’t get me wrong but they also have a hard time clearing guys in front and also screen him themselves at times.

If you look at some of the goals scored on Price, there awful and all the teams are doing this.

JM just sits and makes notes instead of countering the other teams game plan. Teams always work back pucks to the points and there shots always find a way of making it to the net no matter how many ankles or earlobes the puck hits

50. Shiloh says:

I’m expecting a better game from Les Boys tonight. When a team wants to skate with us we get chances. When a team plays a smothering style we just spin our wheels. I think we’ll pop a few early and then it will be up to Price to bar the door. He’s playing much better this year – not yet up to the level of elite goalies like Halak, but well enough. He needs to steal a few for us.

51. Sakus Evil Twin says:

At what point point do you think people will realise that Deharnais will have a great AHL career and that the NHL just isn’t his bag.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

52. Sakus Evil Twin says:

I’d settle for some genuine north/south play from Gomez. And that other thing…

A shot or two.

If Max is prepared to get his hands dirty and to stick his nose into the uglier areas that line is capable of doing something…

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

53. Bill says:

I’ll wait to see how the Habs match up against a serious contender before I shovel the dirt on. But obviously, their offense is weak, and three losses in four games suggests that other teams have adopted the predictable “stop the 1st line” strategy.

This would be a great time for Gionta to score a hat-trick and for Gomez to put up some good assists, to again state the obvious.

And regarding Price, I am happy so long as he’s allowing fewer softies, even if his stats aren’t as good as other years.

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. says:

Any game day is a Great day!!!!

Go Habs Go

They Call Me Shane

55. StevieRay says:

I check some stats yesterday at it shows Pricey as having faced 358 shots to date … 7th highest in the league … he’s a busy boy but playing great !

56. MathMan says:

Eller’s fine on the fourth line. He’s largely carrying it anyway. As the Ottawa game demonstrated, that line can be a disaster area without him.

57. MathMan says:

Here’s the weird (and slightly worrisome) thing about Carey Price: statistically, he’s having the second-worst season of his career. Worse than last year.

He may be racking up more wins than last year, but his save percentage is actually lower. He’s stopping fewer pucks.

Which is really weird because none of the goals he is giving are softies. You’d blame the Habs defense but they’ve really cut down on shots against.

Of course at this point a couple one-goal games will fix those statistics but it really seems odd that at the time everyone (including me!) thinks Carey Price is playing great, he’s accumulating some really pedestrian statistics. I wonder what the numbers are trying to tell us.

58. Harani says:

Habs better stay far from the box tonight. Canucks coming in with the best PP in the league at 29.4%.

“It must be love!”

59. Antho says:

Man if the team in front of Carey only allowed 20 shots on him like Brodeur gets in NJ, he would have a 1.5 GAA

On the other end, if they scored 3+ goals he would have an awesome record

60. Jordio-oh says:

I’m huge on statistics and numbers don’t lie. As much as i hate making general observations that can’t be backed up with facts, Carey does look more confident this year. He is making the big stops when they need to be made. I’m not sure if last year was marred by unlucky breaks (although that can’t always be the case) or what, but he does look better, even if he’s at .911, instead of .912 (which can, and likely will improve, i think).

A 2.45 and a .911 aren’t mind blowing numbers, but they’re good enough for me right now. Especially since goaltending is not the biggest of our concerns.

61. Mr.Hazard says:

Goaltender duel tonight boys?

62. Antho says:

We made it to the final four last year because of goaltending. These steal years come up everywhere;

Tampa winning the cup with khabi’s breakout year

Carolina with Cam Ward

I thought the canadiens were gonna steal with Halak

But in all fairness Washington could have easily put us away

63. matraque says:

Eller is now on the 4th line.

How about sending him to Hamilton… In the meantime, one guy is shining in St-Louis.

Deharnais is now at 15 points in 11 games i think.  Let’s call him up!

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

64. Castor says:

Though I have little hope for a win tonight, for goodness sake, we made it to the FINAL FOUR last year. And we finished 1st in the east three years ago. The team hasn’t gotten to the promise land since 93 sure but the last few years have had some good teams. Give some credit.

65. JohnnyCtheGreek says:

Ladies, size doesnt matter….Boone i thought you might enjoy this article that was in my city’s paper….YUP ROCHESTER, NY.

GO HABS GO!!!!!

66. G-Man says:

Had to laugh at the 7-0 for the Habs tonight after all that. Habs fans are schizophrenic.

67. Xtrahabsfan says:

What will it take to make a team run by ego maniacs  better? A couple of BIG TIME A$$ KICKINGS….Shame on C.H.owners and managment for not having the long term vision on building a way BIGGER Canadiens team (Ya skate faster and no one big avalible while they trade World best for nada!)And shame on them not to learn how important a Big Solid Defence is a must in the N.H.L. And Shame on them for letting a COACH like Boucher take off for Tampa. And shame on the Habs for the last 19 YEARS OF BLAH! And tonights score: Montreal 7-Vancouver 0…Go Habs

68. Antho says:

I think carbozo gave JM his 4 combination locks to make the lineups xD

Does anyone remember how good moen-lapierre-pyatt was last year?

Vancouver’s game plan is going to be simple; get two guys in front of Price because Gill/Georges will not clear them and fire pucks at the net-its what 90% of the teams do against us. Anyone notice Gill was on for all goals last game?

Except tonights game is going to be physical and fast paced lookin forward to it!

69. Propwash says:

3-1 Habs. Thats my prediction.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

70. Xtrahabsfan says:

Its not Gionta’s size …it the team Munckin problem and soft play.

71. Antho says:

I just hope the three goals are scored in the first period so they can actually play a game with a comfortable lead instead of waiting until half way through the second to start playing

72. Castor says:

I’ll be watching from the space between my fingers…on my hands covering my face.

73. Harani says:

Cammi – Pleks – Kostitsyn but nvm mind these line. Renaud Lavoie says JM is back to the line from yesterday! YUCK!

“It must be love!”

74. MikeMcLaren says:

When you say you’re not a fan of splitting our number one line do you mean Cammi-Pleks-Kostitsyn or Pouliot, Halpern, Darche? 🙂

75. Harani says:

Lines from practice (kind of makes sense although I’m not a fan of splitting our number one line)

Cammi – Pleks – Gionta