The new Captain is 0-1

Gionta’s first statement in French (per Marc de Foy of ruefrontenac): “On a jouĂ© comme les chaudrons.”

Loose translation: “We sucked.”

Hey, it’s only pre-season …

1. WarHero says:

props :)

————————————————————————

2. WarHero says:

props :)

————————————————————————

3. WarHero says:

props :)

————————————————————————

4. WarHero says:

props :)

————————————————————————

5. punkster says:

Nope, Brian Burke on crack.

FREE TIMO!

6. WarHero says:

Have you ever seen “Return of the Jedi”?

If so, he is the little dude that sits with Jabba the Hut. e later chews out 3PO’s eye when they are on the sail barge trying to put luke and company in the Sarlacc pit :)

i am a massive SW fan :)

————————————————————————

7. habfab14120 says:

My wife usually adds … ” but there’s a U in suck”.

8. HabsMitch says:

Excited for tonights game!

9. yathehabsrule says:

That’s what I think it is!

___________________________________________

Now on Twitter!

10. habfab14120 says:

Salacious Crumb.  Does it make me a nerd that I know it’s name?

11. sidhu says:

According to John Lu, there are two temporary slots on the Habs (with no Markov and Hammer), and that those slots are being fought for by Henry, Picard, and Weber.  Based on preseason, I think the first two deserve the slots.  Sorry to say because I wanted to like Weber’s game.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure it’s that rat-monkey thing from Return of the Jedi that was sitting next to Jabba the Hutt. Pretty sure since I watched the movie like 80 times as a kid, conservatively.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. petrov14 says:

AHHHH YES! So obvious now *Face palm*

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

14. joeybarrie says:

I thought it was that little crappy creature hanging with Jabba the Hut in Star Wars…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. king ddd says:

i thought it was a sick cat, with agonizing stomach pain

16. petrov14 says:

LAGGGGGGG!

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

17. HabsMitch says:

Its Jabba the Hutt’s pet from Star Wars!

18. petrov14 says:

My guess was one of those creatures from “the dark crystal”.

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

19. Josh says:

I’ll never understand how he made as many fans as he did in Montreal.

20. showey47 says:

I like what henry brings,it crossed my mind that given the right scenerio he could actually stick around. Keeps his game simple and will drop them with anybody. Gaining one more step in his foot speed could make him a 3rd pairing nhl defenceman on pretty much any team.

21. king ddd says:

dude maybe i am dumb, but i have trying to figure out your avatar for so long and still havent figured it out. is that a cat

22. Wayne says:

Eat your heart out, Bugsy Siegel.

23. WarHero says:

I loved Kovy, and like you say, he was awesome when had the C, unfortunately, he wasn’t like that without it :(

————————————————————————

24. Fansincebirth says:

Living in Ottawa, I get to hear a lot about Kovy and have been to see him play and the opinion of him isn’t very high with his “I’ll play when I want to” attitude…

Patience is wearing thin.

Kinda funny actually, comparing now to the ribbing I took when they picked him up :o)

25. Shiloh says:

Absolutely wish it didn’t have to be that way, but we have had St. Carey stuffed down our throats even though he has been very suspect for years, not months. If the braintrust, now led by BobLite, weren’t so quick to banish anybody who might play better than our fragile young man, maybe we’d have playoff-level goaltending. Shipping out anyone who plays better than Price will require a hell of a lot of trades.

26. petrov14 says:

“Captain America leads Canadiens to victory”. I like it. All we need is a big W

And when I see it as a headline on TSN i’ll know I saw it here first, compliments of Cpt.K4life!

______________________________________ Gionta IS Captain.

27. BeachHabFan says:

was a kovy hopeful but never a fan. he did well as the C but too likely to go crusin when someone else was there to take the lead. frustrating to watch, can’t imagine what it was/is like to be line or teammate. Gionta seems the polar opposite, all grit and effort and balls, like koivu and his 5’7″ predecessors, and a true scoring touch. feelin good about the season, let’s go already!!!

28. Wayne says:

I think Ovie’s been a breath of fresh air from day one. I just can’t get a hate on for him. The commercial is cheesy but he clearly continues demonstrate that he doesn’t give a shlt what people think of him.

29. Habscore says:

Hehe thnx buddy…it’s a Boeing 777-200..this big baby is so impressive..

…………………………………………………………………

YES HABS CAN!!

30. Wayne says:

If they’re not on the ice at 7:35, Benoit Pouliot might score a goal.

Love that one. Big Thumbs up!

31. AH says:

Great choice for captain! Let the era of “The Little General” (ala Napoleon) begin!

Hopefully with not too many “Waterloos”

GO HABS GO!!

32. Will Longlade says:

I’ve always found Ovie kinda creepy. In the new commercial he brings creepy to a whole new level. Great talent though, and I’d be a big fan if he had more respect for other players.

33. Harani says:

Stevie Y posing in a suit for The Bay! WOW!

“It must be love!”

34. HabsMitch says:

I’m referencing Halak!

35. SPATS says:

I stand corrected…

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

36. STZA says:

It’s funny because it’s true.

37. ShangaDoo says:

Hey guys,not sure if its been posted already. Just wondering on your opinion of the lines they came up with,

I love the fact White is a given chance.

Dose anybody think PG signed one too many? (like Darche) and no love for Pouliot… I am really starting to lose faith in him.

38. bostonantifan says:

Get his mojo back“?  The last time he had any mojo was over 2 years ago.  If he hasn’t gotten it back by now, sitting him out against Buffalo won’t do it.

39. punkster says:

Oh-ohhh…the perfect setup…he’ll give us that soul vaccination we need…

FREE TIMO!

40. habs001 says:

as long as pk and markov are in the line up(hopefully soon) we are good at getting the puck out….but with only one in the line up i am not sure that the rest of the d can handle teams that have fast/aggressive forecheckers.. gill,spacek.gorges.hammer.obyrne many times last season had real trouble getting the puck out which resulted in extended play by opposition forwards in our zone…

41. G-Man says:

He’s our tower of power underdog.I am happy Henry is playing as well as he is, but I know once Hamrlik or Markov is ready, he will be in Hamilton.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Henry wore the C for Hamilton last season, but I suspect he’ll be cut soon as while he can hit, he just never seems able to keep up with NHL games. He’s a good C for the Dogs as he can play to a high level in the AHL, can fight and gives a lot of veteran experience to the room. MTL, he’s behind OB and Picard for a spot.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. WarHero says:

You are correct Ian, he is the C.

My thinking is that he is still there to show OB how a big man should be using his size and toughness

————————————————————————

44. Chuck says:

Cool avatar! Not many folks would get the chance to pose in the inlet of a 9ft. turbofan!

45. Chuck says:

^ ^ ^ Axe to grind.

46. Xtrahabsfan says:

I’m happy for Carey he didn’t have to face  Buffalo…let him get his mojo back nice and easy……

47. DearyLeary says:

Yeah, he wears a letter, can’t remember offhand if it’s the C or not.

Henry was paired with PK a lot last year, to make sure nobody took advantage of him (even though PK’s perfectly capable of standing up for himself).  I read a few interviews where Henry said that PK should reign it in from time to time, the enthusiasm is good for the team, but at some point he’s gonna get his ass kicked.

48. Jordio-oh says:

I wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t the same old complaints and comments from the same old unpleased commentariat, such as yourself.

49. Shiloh says:

Accuse two players of lacking heart in a single post and all you hear is the sound of crickets in the night. Even dare to hint that St. Carey missed one and his legion of protectors descend like the homeland is being attacked. Sometimes this place is more like the ‘I Heart Carey” site than HIO.

50. matmacat says:

who are you (not) referring to? If you speak of Gionta, then you might need to look up ‘charisma’ in the dictionary.

51. Chorske says:

Absolutely agree with everything in this post.

Henry works hard for both clubs, he is a captain for Hamilton is he not ? But when Markov and Hammer come back, he is in jeopardy, unless someone else goes down to injury or does not perform up to their level.

53. mbplekfan says:

Big night for Alex Henry. If he keeps it simple and plays solid defense he will stick around. If they were’nt keeping a veteran like him I think he would already be in Hamilton. Its not fair to give a 30 year old journeyman false hope.

A few big league paychecks is a huge financial boost for a guy like him.

Fan Summit Updates–Click on Summit side bar or link below

everyone is welcome to join us, check out the itinerary and come on down!

55. SPATS says:

He’s such a warrior! Awesome post – thanks

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

56. TheDagger says:

Kovalev is probably the best beer leaguer in the world…

Habscore, thanks for the link. Goose bumps!

58. SPATS says:

Yep, BG KO’d all of the KO’s (Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek, Kostopolous, Kostitsyn 74)

Except for AK 46. Think he’s figured it out yet? I’m not optimistic.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

59. SPATS says:

There’s no “I” in team – ancient cliche

But, there’s and “M & E” – Alex Kovalev?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

60. SPATS says:

It’s all about the dangle, nobody dangles like Kovy and the masses swoon….I’m puking in my hands. We’re so much better off without him and his lack of heart, AK 46 has studied him very well indeed

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

JF. good post and your bang on this is a TEAM sport.! Everyone needs to be on the same page for large things to happen together.

62. LNev says:

The love for a 3 year guy who averaged 60pt/season has always baffled me.

63. OneTimer says:

Man, #3 is so sick…my favourite for sure. Pure hustle.

64. JF says:

The great thing about last year’s playoff team was that they were all pulling together.  Those who weren’t (Laraque and SK74) were excluded.  I think having a player whom everyone knows to be inconsistent in his effort  must be bad for team unity and undermine the captain’s leadership.  Kovalev was spectacular when he wanted to be, but there were too many nights when he didnt want to.   And  there were so many rumours of bad blood between him and Koivu that one has to wonder whether the situation in the locker room was bad the whole of that final year and not just at the end.  What emerged last year was a very strong leadership by committee, and I think that will continue under Gionta’s captaincy.  I liked what Gill said, that the team needs everyone to be a leader at some point.

65. habsfanincalgary says:

I loved Kovy’s flash and his magician mastery of the puck.  As sad as I was to see him go, I think Cammy fills the role: as good (if not better) a one-timer, less flash but greater consistency.

As for the new C, great choice!

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Awesome goals, love how most of those goals were just big clutch plays for the team.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. mbplekfan says:

Kovalev was a selfish player, with a poor work ethic. He was magnificent when he was ON but was horrendous when he was OFF.

The team is much better served by the likes of Gionta, Cammaleri, and Gomez than the Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek trio.

68. Habscore says:

I’m sure most of you all saw this last night on RDS, but for those who don’t have it here it is.

Gio’s Top 10 goals from last season…the top 3 are simply insane it brings tears to my eyes ( love the Gomez-Cammi-Gio chemistry )

………………………………………………………………. YES HABS CAN!!

69. HabsMitch says:

I get the fans loved Halak, hell I did to when he was winning games…but doesn’t a fan favorite have to be a little bit charismatic at least?

70. Da Hema says:

Good words. I knew then and there Gainey made the right decision after Kovalev and his agent tried to squeeze the team. What surprised me was that Gainey made an offer to Kovalev in the first place, especially given his Hollywoodish high-maintenance nature. It is just impossible to believe Kovalev’s moods didn’t have an overall negative effect on everyone from management down to the players. There was far too much focus on Kovalev when he was here rather than on the performance of the team as such. I am relieved Kovalev is plying his trade elsewhere.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

71. notbigbird says:

“What if Kovalev had signed?”

There would be a lot less optimism on this site right about now.

72. Mike MacPhee says:

I take to heart the comments of those who endorse the Gionta captaincy.  I also agree, although I would also note that we are (finally) blessed with a wealth of leadership potential, all of whom will enhance unity in the dressing room.  The Habs enjoy a very strong leadership group and Gionta will make an excellent captain.

I also take to heart the admissions of some posters of their disappointment when Kovy didn’t sign and their inability to get excited when Gionta did.  That reminds me that sometimes (often) my first impressions are wrong; and I have to end up eating my words.  Hopefully this experience will help all of us not to overreact when the Habs, players and management, aren’t doing what we think they should be doing.  Maybe our first impressions are wrong.