The Madness of Coach Don

Last night’s edition of Coach’s Corner began with a cool mash-up and then continued with videos of a few fights and Cherry rambling all over the NHL landscape – but not picking on P.K., unless you see his praise of less chirping by Ryan Kesler as a veiled slam on Subban.

Cherry concluded the segment with an angry reminder that Dec. 25 celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ.

Call me paranoid, but I think the old coot is setting himself up for a third career.

The speech at Rob Ford’s inauguration, bashing “left-wing kooks”, the use of the public airwaves to promote a particular religion …

Cherry is positioning himself for either politics (he’s too old and, frankly, too ignorant) or the more likely bet: a gig on Sun TV, the Canadian version of Fox News that Pierre Karl Péladeau wants to launch.

(Thanks to GG11 for Don the Evangelist, another brilliant PhotoShop)

1. Danno says:

At the CBC they refuse to admit that the Emperor Don has no clothes — as you can see in their response to my complaint…

email concerning comments made by Don Cherry about P.K. Subban
    following the first game of Hockey Night in Canada’s November 27
    doubleheader was forwarded to me for reply by the Office of the CBC
    Ombudsman and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications

It is unfortunate that you believe Don’s comments represented a “hateful vendetta” against player P.K. Subban.

a number of weeks, Subban’s play has been topic for players, coaches,
    fans, and the media. Don’s job as a commentator is to talk about the hot
    issues around the league, and this is a hot topic.

have reviewed the tapes of Don’s short comments about Subban on
    November 27 and comments he made about this player earlier in November. I
    must strongly disagree with your assessment of them. He did he say
    anything which could be construed as “openly encouraging violence.” He
    neither “incited” nor “justified” violence toward Subban. Indeed, he has
    not only praised Subban’s talent – noting that Subban is a player Don
    has known of and watched develop for many years – but he also stated
    outright that he did not condone players deliberately hurting each

Again, thank you for writing. I’ve shared your comments with my colleagues at HNIC.

David Masse

Senior Director,

CBC Sports

In other words, “Let them eat cake!”

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

…and a successful merger it is!!!!

3. PeterD says:

As I watched last nights braodcast of the Toronto and Vancouver games I specifically watched between periods to see if there would any response by the CBC to the blatant and outrageous negative commentary towards the Habs during Thursday nights game.

What I took away from the Coach’s corner segment and then the Mibury segment later on was that they have in fact received the feedback many of us have sent them…I personally sent an e-mail to the CBC complaints department expressing my concerns over the protrayal of our Canadian Game by thugs like Mike Milbury, PJ Stock and Don Cherry…they are on publically funded TV spewing violent and negative coments and glorifiying violence to an audience of young children that idolize the stars of the game…these are impressionable young minds being contaminated and corrupted by ignorant thugs like Milbury and Cherry…these are not the Canadian Values that we wwant our kids to be exposed to through our tax funded networks…

Any way, I point is that from last nights commentaries I got the impression that they have been told to get a grip and reconsider their comments on National TV…my fear is that Ron Maclean, Don Cherry, Mike Milbury and PJ Stock are just too stupid or insensitive to actually understand and “get it” that they are ofensive to a very large audience base in Canada…I don’t believe anything will change due to the contracts involved until after the season is over…if it continues we as fans need to continue to send letters to the CBC network and to the CRTC complaints departments to express our displeasure wth the trreatment and coverage and negative commentaries directed towards our team.

Peace out everybody…tis the season to welcome into the universe love and peace..but these guys on CBC really tick me off so keep sending in the letters to try an make a difference and get rid of these morons…it’s our right as tax payers funding this network and also our right as fans for the greatest sports team in the universe…well at least on this planet.

4. Mats Naslund says:

so your justification for Don Cherry is that state-sponsored TV stations in Iran do the same thing – why shouldn’t we? The only thing that is offensive about this whole thing is the mis-use of public airways under the guise of HOCKEY. What did all of that have with Bruce Boudreau again? That WAS what he was talking about before he got all mysti-eyed about the troops again right?

Just tell me you would still be ok with what Don Cherry said if he had said: “Kids, just remember that the real reason we celebrate December 25th is that it is a 4000 year old tradition in which a bishop saint of asia minor and a pagan god of the Germans merged to become Santa Claus in order to celebrate the new year”.

5. twilighthours says:

And that, I think, is the key point.  As months and years go by, there is less actual hockey being discussed on Coach’s Corner and more of one man’s political agenda.

I don’t want my tax dollars contributing to it, and I think I might write this

6. CHsam says:

If I had never watched Coach’s Corner before and saw this last edition, I’d come away with impressions of a man who loves TANKS, SUITS, a little bit of hockey, NOT TAKING THE LORD’S NAME IN VAIN, JESUS’s BIRTHDAY, ARMY.

Happy Holidays yall

7. BJT says:

Phenomenal post.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

8. BJT says:

I don’t see what the issue is. If one of the many foreign news casters on CBC decided to say at some point in the year something along the lines of pointing out a Muslim holiday or the likes, we’d all say “Oh. Ok then, this person is a muslim.” But because it’s a christian holiday there’s protesting and complaining? Calling it ‘Madness’ and ‘Promoting religion’? It’s a fact. That’s what Christmas is. If you don’t like it that much then maybe you shouldn’t celebrate Christmas at all.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

9. RockinRey says:

i know where he stand re leafs and bruins but I have never heard him say that the habs are chicken or gutless. I have seen him show video evidence of A. Kostitsyn ( slew foots and sticking stick in opposing players legs when chasing an icing) and Pleks make a couple of dirty plays. But these guys are surely no more dirty than any other player in the league. And I have not heard him say chicken or gutless directly towards Habs players. So i dont know what you are talking about.

10. Danno says:

And Happy Festivus for the rest of us. I hope this doesn’t offend anyone or ruin your holiday.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

11. habsgirl74 says:

Great post and Merry Christmas

12. RockinRey says:

Well put. A little balance!

13. habsgirl74 says:

well said, Cherry was not in the wrong for saying what he did, Dec. 25th as been celebrated as the birth of Jesus ever since Emporer Constantine made it that day and reminding others thats what the day is ther is nothing wrong with that , would it have been a problem if he mentioned another religions holiday, i think not

14. RockinRey says:

Spoken like a true Hab fan ! Well put!

15. RockinRey says:

I never said I was Christian or it was hard. I never said anything about my nativity scene. I said how can you be offended by it? Never said the Grinch was stealing it! Can’t privelege one religion over others? Get serious and really get a grip and think about what you just said.

I never said that Christians pander, or any other religion pander. I said we ( as in a collective society overcompensate ) by worrying about what might be offensive to others. We collectively pander to anyone who does not agree or express a certain faith in any religion. How a nativity scene in a mall is offensive is anyones guess. Whether it be an atheist, Jew, Muslim, Sikh…. whatever. How they could be offended is mind boggling. Maybe the bigger question is what issues does that person have??

I have an inclusive vieew of the world. I have never said my religion is more Canadian. I have said Boone has an agenda. And I have asked repeatedly how can someone be offended by someone saying Merry Christmas and reminding what the true ( official) meaning is. And I did say Christmas means different things to different people.

Re #3 , you may want to reread that one. I didn;t express my religious views. I said how could someone get offended ? I never said I am offended that he did not agree with Don Cherry.

If we were in a Muslim country no problem.There are Muslim Countries you know. Are you offended? There are state sponsored television stations in Muslim countries where the preponderance of the population is muslim and other religions coexist.But would any body have the nerve to speak out there and say I am offended because the imam reminded people of the prophet and they should pray 5 times a day?

We are in Canada and for the most part the country has its roots in Christianity. Notwithstanding that there has been a shift to more secular ideas as noted in another post. There is no problem at all with saying Merry Christmas or reminding people.

16. RockinRey says:

17. Miltie01 says:

The more I read HIO the more I realize where the bigotry is. Here, where the world is big enough for all people, of all races, creeds and viewpoints………as long as they don’t disagree with me.

Merry Christmas folks, the baby Jesus won’t ruin your holiday.

18. VancouverHab says:

Hey, Mats! You’re one of my heroes: great to hear from you. (You had a great thing going with Don Cherry back in your day — don’t turn coat on him now ;–)

19. christophurrr says:

20. DearyLeary says:

What conspiracy theory?  He’s using the CBC as a pulpit, and we’re paying him for the privilege.  Get him off the air already.  Same goes for Milbury, Cole, Healy, May… they’ve assembled a confederacy of dunces.

21. Mats Naslund says:

Give me a break. Don Cherry used the fact that Bruce Boudreau DIDN’T use “the lord’s name in vain” in his swear-laden HBO rant as a chance to remind everyone that ” December 25th is the Lord Jesus Baby birthday” (his words not mine) with a finger point, and “remember the troops” in tow. Is it really that outrageous to question why on a show entitled “Coach’s Corner” ANY of that is necessary?

22. habsruleworld says:

the point is, you missed it completely bub!, it’s a publicly funded show, paid by taxpayers, where the platform is provided to spew BS, by be-littling in particular ” Le Club  de Hockey Canadien”

Staff at HNIC seemed to be hired as long as they have a deep hatred for the Montrel Canadiens, that is why they refer to the Habs as cockroaches.

That is why they regulalrly attack Lapierre, Subban etc.

HNIC has zero credibility, they cannot bring any level of Objectiveness to anything!

To have americans on a canadian broadcast attacking a canadian team such as the habs, and regularly! can you ever see such a scenario being repeated in the USA?!  fAck No!

Cherry regularly depicts himself  as the true canadian? he’s an embarassment, and I want my tax dollars better spent to represent tolerance, objectivity, fairness, which is definitely not in the vocabulary of INFLAMATORY, BIASED, DIVISIVE HNIC.

23. DearyLeary says:

For someone who wanted an elected senate, Harper seems extremely insincere, as he has appointed more senators than any PM in the last 100 years.

I’m not going any further into politics… lets keep this about something that’s actually important, like the Montreal Canadiens.

24. habsruleworld says:

Tommy I do think the emails and letters are taking effect. HNIC changed their format, Cherry did not say anything about Habs or their fans, HNIC is getting it, they are fighting back, although also saying Cherry is going down blazing. I hope this means he’s gone soon. To not write/email/voice our feelings would be wrong in my opinion. we must stay vocal and engaged.

25. VancouverHab says:

Cherry is positioning himself for either politics (he’s…frankly, too ignorant)”

Don Cherry has been making a public affirmation of the Christian character of Christmas, to my certain knowledge, for over a decade, so the conspiracy theory here is preposterous.

And you are actually saying that Mr. Cherry is too ignorant for Canadian politics? You are serious? The House of Commons and the Senate are bodies of governance populated in the main by the non-ignorant in your opinion? If Mr. Cherry did match your belittling characterisation of him then he would be as indistinguishable in our parliament as a black crow at a rookery.

If Canadian religious pluralism means anything, it means that individual adherents to any one religion are free to openly make affirmative statements about their chosen belief system, without threat or fear of condemnation, whatsoever their public position.

If a public utterance in simple affirmation of one’s religion is to be condemned and marked for supression, whatever the speaker’s place is in society, then we have entered a state of intolerance and opression by secularism. Secularism is only one of the players in the multicutural game: it is not the Referee.

Mr. Cherry mentioned, at the municipal inauguaration to which you refer, that he was the object of attack in the media for the mere fact of him attending church. That attack, which your present article reinforces, is open bigotry and is a manifestation of the very intolerance of which hypocricy is accusing Mr. Cherry.

26. habsruleworld says:

Some stats on NHL penalty minute allocation by referees:

Toronto 31 gp, +66 mins on
    powerplay. Vancouver 29 gp, +13 mins on powerplay. Calgary 31 gp, +12
    mins on powerplay. Edmonton 32 gp, +8 mins on powerplay. Montreal 32 gp,
    -43 mins on powerplay. Ottawa 34 gp, -59 on powerplay, penalty shots are counted,
    10 min misconducts are excluded since there is no advantage

Why do laughs lead league in 5 – 3 ‘s?,,,,,,things that make you go  Hmmm

Canadian taxpayers pay so that CBC can regularly have a
    platform to  continue with divisive, biased and cheap shot attacks on
    the Montreal canadiens hockey team, and their fans

for those that
    want to try and make a change and let those responsible know , here is the email to the head honcho at CBC, responsible.

might not solve the issue, but at lest they will know!

27. Jbird says:

The Senate is where he will go.  His appointment is probable in my opinion after what he did for Ford and Fantino recently. And I argue that it will be Cherry’s appointment that will bring major changes to our parliamentary structure.  Seriously.

Harper’s whole plan from his early days in Calgary has been for an Elected senate. But while the senate had a Liberal Majority the Liberals did not mind the senate being a useless institution where they put people who did the PM a favour (NDP says abolish it and I personally agree with that) and the Conservatives/ Reformers squawked away about it. Now that the Conservatives have the majority in the Senate – and are actually vetoing bills!! the Liberals will now support Harper’s original position of the elected senate or they will want to join the NDP in abolishing it. It really is a brilliant plan by Harper.

Cherry is likely going to get appointed into a governing body that can veto legislation in Canada if he wants the job.  Frighting!!!  And it will change our Parliamentary system cause at least 1/2 of Canadians think Ron Churley is a menace to society and the Liberals just go with the flow and all parties will want to change the Senate.

Apologies for having to write this, I have been thinking it all month.

28. TOEmastro says:

That’s what he said. and yes

29. RockinRey says:

I haven’t gotten personal with you. I haven’t attacked you. I said that Boone had an agenda and I did not see any anger from Don. So buzz off.

First of all I agree it is the holiday season and there are other religions recognizing them. I understand quite clear what you and he are talking about . Its easy for guys like you to play a race card( i know you didn’t) or criticize someone for having a different view point. As I stated numerous times now who said he has to say Happy Quansa, happy Hanukah, and happy Ramadan because it is a public broadcaster?

And as  i said it seems personal with Boone and Don. How the hell someone is offended by a person expressing Merry Christmas and talking about Christ and it is not about Santa is beyond me. Maybe you should look at yourself and wonder why it is you get your back up about these things so quickly.

Not so sure Mr. Boone needs you to defend him!

30. Mats Naslund says:

Particularly relevant due to the xmas ranting.

Dear Coach’s Corner – Propagandhi – Winnipeg, Man.

Dear Ron MacLean. Dear Coach’s Corner.
    I’m writing in order for someone to explain
    to my niece the distinction between
    these mandatory pre-game group rites of submission
    and the rallies at Nuremberg.
    Specifically the function the ritual serves
    in conjunction with what everybody knows is,
    in the end, a kid’s game.
    I’m just appealing to your sense of fair play
    when I say she’s puzzled by this incessant pressure
    for her to not defy collective will and yellow ribboned lapels,
    as the soldiers inexplicably repel down from the arena rafters.
    Which, if it not so insane,
    they’ll be grounds for screaming laughter.

Dear Ron MacLean, I wouldn’t bother with these questions
    if I didn’t sense some spiritual connection.
    We may not be the same, but it’s not like we’re from different planets.
    We both love this game so much we can hardly fucking stand it.
    Alberta-born, and Prairie-raised.
    It seems like there ain’t a sheet of ice north of Fargo I ain’t played.
    From Penhold to the Gatinaeu, every fond memory of childhood
    that I know is somehow connected to the culture of this game.
    I just can’t let it go.

I guess it comes down to what kind of world you want to live in.
    And if diversity is disagreement, disagreement is treason.
    Well, you’ll be surprised if we find ourselves
    reaping a strange and bitter fruit that that sad old man beside you
    keeps feeding to young minds as virtue.
    It takes a village to raise a child, but just a flag to raze the children
    till they’re nothing more than ballasts for fulfilling
    a madman’s dream of a paradise. Complexity reduced to black and white.
    How do I protect her from this cult of death?

31. B says:

Cherry closed by expressing the thought that Christmas is not just about presents, but is about celebrating the birth of Jesus. Of course he did it in a loud, bombastic Don Cherry like way. If you simply have a problem with the way he expresses himself, then yes, I agree that he is an over the top loudmouth. It sounded to me, however, like you had a problem that he expressed his thought about Christmas (as opposed to how he expressed it) and I just didn’t see that as one of the multitude of stupid things he has said that is worth going “Wha???” over.

Your subsequent bring up of Iranian theocracy, official state religion and public airwaves did not reinforce to me that it was the way he said it (bombastic loudmouth) and not what he said (thought on Christmas) that you were reacting to. I certainly am not defending Cherry’s caricature.

32. Graves says:

Cherry’s been doing the whole “it’s baby Jesus’ birthday” shtick on the last Coach’s Corner before Christmas for years now.

33. WestHab says:

all in all though I think we are getting too sensitive about anti Hab this and anti Habs that. Of course cherry and mulberry bush hate the Habs. They are who they are and all this anit Hab stuff will get worse as the Habs get better and they will. This is the price of sucess.  The leafs will never get this much universal hate cause they are pitiful. Sometimes we need to be a bit like Lapps and just smile it right back to them.

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

34. Mats Naslund says:

OK I apologise, but my BS detector is going bananas over here. Who are these

community leaders in Toronto that are espousing Sharia law (with an agenda to supercede rights and freedoms) and  high profile business men saying Jews should only marry Jews”.

This is the kind of drivel that people always bring up every year in defense of those who try to jump on their soapbox about how hard it is to be a Christian in this country. Its frankly a load of BS. Nobody is trying to steal Christmas away from you. We just can’t privilege one religion over the others. Your nativity scene belongs in your house, with your family – Not in a shopping mall – unless you’d also like to see religious symbols of all kinds in the mall.

The funny thing is that you say “we pander to everyone so that this kind of thing is not perceived as offensive” – as though:

#1: “We” are Christians, and “They” are everyone who is not.

#2: You represent the dominant group, and “pander” to those who are not within your group. They can live in YOUR country as long as they acknowledge that YOU are more Canadian.

#3: That someone who sees religious endorsement in a public space as problematic is offending YOU personally because your religious expression is somehow different, and more authentically Canadian than the rest.

I don’t mean to jump on you, but this is the kind of accepted idea that drives me crazy. Celebrate Christmas. Celebrate Ramadan. Celebrate Hanukkah. Celebrate Festivus or whatever! I just can’t imagine what the public outcry would be had he gone on TV and reminded everyone of the spirit of the prophet Mohammad, and why all the kids should remember to pray 5 times a day.

35. andrewberkshire says:

This is exactly the kind of arrogance that pisses everyone off when it comes to Christians. You’re out on the attack but you don’t even take the 10 minutes to understand what other people are talking about. This is a HOLIDAY season, not the CHRISTMAS season. There are a ton of holidays this time of year involving a ton of different religions and secular ideas.

36. RockinRey says:

There is another OFFICIAL meaning to Christmas? Christmas means a lot of things to different people. Just as Thanksgiving does. But there is only one official meaning.

Why would you make a big deal about him reminding people( kids) about the official meaning ? The words ‘all kids should recognize Christmas and only Christmas” did not come out of his mouth. Most of us understood he was speaking to those who would take the time to recognize it whether it was because of a devout faith or because of family tradition.

37. punkster says:

Oh…(quickly shuts off porch light).

38. andrewberkshire says:

You know what I find the most hilarious of all? That christians think things like a “christmas” tree and “christmas” lights are associated with their religion. Hell, lights outside the home this time of the year used to signify that an orgy was taking place in the home and everyone was welcome.

39. andrewberkshire says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Goodyear a creationist?

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Don Cherry too ignorant for Canadian politics?

Not for the Conservative party he isn’t.

If you can have an ignoramus like Gary Goodyear as minister of SCIENCE, then Don Cherry would fit right in.

(Goodyear is a born again xtian who doesn’t believe in evolution and – more importantly – abolished funding for Genome Canada, the major funding agency for research in genetic diseases).

41. Danno says:

Posted earlier.

For those of you who missed it, Pierre Goat-ier himself sent me this Holiday Greeting.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

42. CHsam says:

“We’re runnin outta time”….LMAO.

43. WestHab says:

the sad thing is if cherry started a cult there would be a flock the size of about 9 provinces.

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

44. RockinRey says:

Angry? Didn’t come across as angry to me! Preachy yes but not angry! Theocracy? Yes we dont have an official state religion. And I didnt hear him make a commentary about any religion other than Christianity is wrong. But we do have community leaders in Toronto that are espousing Sharia law (with an agenda to supercede rights and freedoms) and  high profile business men saying Jews should only marry Jews. And in your own backyard you have ignorant view points spouted by French and English alike. Are these views not ignorant? They have been presented on the CBC in the past…. I think these things are wrong.

Has Don Cherry crossed the line at times ? Sure you can strongly argue the case but I didn’t see him as being angry just simply reminding kids ( whether we like it or not or think it is valid) what Christmas is about. To be thankful, that it is a joyous and loving season and its not simply about Santa and presents. Again, a little preachy and perhaps not in the most articulate fashion but like I said does the Gazette and do you have an agenda about him? What is wrong with him expressing something about Christmas? Even on a public broadcaster. I would submit that for you it has more to do with who said it .  A little hyprocritical since your commentary is peppered with your political  view points .

His comments speak to something that he has spoken about in the past. For instance people openly complaining about being offended about a naitivity scene in a mall. Which has happened on more than one occasion.  What happens on these occasions? We pander to everyone so that this kind of thing is not perceived as offensive. So what if it is a pulic broadcaster and a high profile figure wants to remind us about the season. You think every view point on the CBC is valid and thoughtful or balanced for that matter?

Perhaps its you that has the problem Boone! I never got that impression from anything he said that if you didn’t practice Christianity you were less of a human.

Maybe you can be the bigger media person and stick to Hockey!!

Go Habs go!

45. HugeHabsFan says:

Merry Christmas Mike!  Hope you have a wonderful holiday! :o)

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

46. HugeHabsFan says:

Well written, and very much enjoyed the read.  Thanks!

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

47. Mike Boone says:

Hey, I can’t watch It’s a Wonderful Life without crying. I’ve playing the Chieftains Bells of Dublin for two weeks. I LOVE Christmas … by personal choice, as it should be.

48. Mike Boone says:

It wasn’t a “thought about Christmas”. It was an intemperate rant about the One True Official Meaning of Dec. 25, as defined by Ayatollah Don. Diffwerent strokes, indeed … and the kind of strokes that loon propagates are lashes for non-believers.

49. Chorske says:

And a very happy Saturnalia to you, too.

50. Chorske says:

The whole point is that a public broadcaster, supported in full by a secular government (i.e., NOT a theocracy), has no business lecturing people about Jesus and the meaning of Christmas. I don’t have a problem with airing Christmas specials, mind you- does that make me a hypocrite?

51. andrewberkshire says:

If Cherry said “Merry Christmas” no one would care, but instead he has to rant that everyone needs to remember the birth of baby jesus, even though by stating that he’s showing how completely ignorant he is of the story he’s promoting, as jesus of Nazareth was born in the spring, and his birthdate was changed to December 25th to help assimilate the Pagans of Europe.

52. larisalapointe says:

He’s just a troll in a pink suit.  But a very effective one because he has everyone talking about him all the time. He knows exactly what buttons to push. Good for him.

That is why TV remotes have on/off, mute and channel selector buttons.

53. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. Just proves he’s a hypocrite.

54. B says:

If you are trying to compare expressing a thought about Christmas on the public CBC to an Iranian like theocracy then I am sorry, I just don’t see it. Different strokes I guess.

55. Danno says:

They’ve also destroyed CBC Newsworld with a dogs-breakfast of graphics, scrolling ticker tapes, special effects and visual distractions while dumbing down the content to the pre-school level.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

56. TommyB says:

Excellent observations!  Quite true.

57. TommyB says:

I thought the whole Coach’s Corner segment was bizarre last night.  And I am of the impression that the rap video was a deliberate, yet subtle, way of addressing the negative e-mails, letters, phone calls, etc. that the CBC has been recieving lately regarding Cherry.  In other words, we are not changing anything…”tough sh&%” to you people who don’t like it.  If not that, then it could be that change is indeed coming and this was Cherry’s way of taking a last stand by saying he is not going to change, go ahead and replace me.  The entire segment was a rambling, incoherent mess.  I totally expected the usual Cherry rant, especially with the hit(s) by Subban this week.  I thought for sure Cherry would mention it, and dump on the Habs for being chicken, or gutless.  His usual schtick.  But by not mentioning anything about Montreal at all, I feel was deliberate as well.  Good chance that he was told by the CBC brass to keep his big mouth shut.  Hence the “not changing, and going down in blazes” video presented by that all-Canadian hip-meister, Ron Maclean.  Could be something more to come.

58. BeachHabFan says:

watching the ceeb is like driving slowly past a car wreck – horrifying, sometimes ridiculous, and you feel kind of dirty afterwards. if don’s trying to be our charlton heston, i guess the moses gig is part of the shtick.

“We need a goal – get me Gigomax!” – Jacques Martin

59. arcosenate says:

Oh please let it be politics, please, please, please…

60. punkster says:

Good stuff Dan.

61. Landof10000lakesHab says:

The Montreal Canadiens are the NY Yankees of Hockey. Face it; most folks in Canada have either a fanatical love or a seething hatred of the Habs.

What drives anti Hab sentiment?

100 seasons & 24 Cups, or one Cup approximately every 4 years. Overkill – and just plain unfair.

Bruin fans, Don Cherry, and hockey writers such as Stephen Harris of the Herald take comfort in the fact that poor officiating was likely responsible for the majority of Hab cups. “A dirty and despicable little team that dishes out cheap shots and shows not the slightest willingness to back up stickwork by dropping the gloves”.  Could poor officiating be more obvious than in 79 with the “too many men” call against the B’s with less than 2 minutes to go? Result – a Lafleur goal that ultimately cost a colorful B’s coach his job.  A heroic comeback saw Grapes lead the Rockies to 19 wins the following year with this charge – “Come to the fights and watch a Rockies game break out!” Still, the feelings persist.

Don Cherry is no fool – he saw an opportunity to exact revenge. Landing a commentator gig with HNIC, and using prior Cadillac salesman skills, Grapes slowly but surely worked Hab venom into countless households across Canada. Realizing the majority of Canadians would never succumb to Bruin fever, Grapes knew the next logical solution was to promote Leaf nation. A shame the Leafs would never respond with the success that Grapes envisioned, but a minor inconvenience. Start with the youth as they are most impressionable, “all you kids out there”.  Continue by spewing a code of conduct based on fighting grit (which builds mutual respect BTW), then release a series of Rock’em, Sock’em videos to support the effort. Pull the patriotic heart strings weekly (support the troops, taking jobs away from good Canadian boys), add a dash of nation divide (on visors – “most guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys”), criticize the NHL for efforts to reduce fighting and promote Hab like speed and skill, criticize players who hot dog or who behave in a disrespectful manner to seasoned vets, and be sure to talk in a manly tone of players from Ontario or honorable mention to boys from out West that show the right “attaboy” stuff. To ensure future generations get the message, be sure also to promote the hiring of other enforcers capable hockey minds at CBC such as PJ Stock (Habville resident) and Mike Milbury. Finish segments with “God love ya’s”.

HNIC caters to Leaf fans while the Habs are portrayed as “bad guys”. Albeit with ratings on decline, budget cuts, and “culture war” allegations, the Mother Corp is keenly aware that conflict sells ad $$.

The incredible number of Hab fans that show up for road games add fuel to Hab hating fires.

The supposed “French” connection. Do I even need to expand on this nation dividing issue?

Hab fans have not seen a championship in almost 20 years, but we still tend to view all other franchises from an elevation and with pedigree that is likely irritating to most non Hab fans.

Hab teams are built with speed, finesse, solid tending and defense as primary weapons. This can be aggravating for gladiator Leaf type fans that prefer roller-derby hockey, fulla good ol’ boys who know the meaning of respect. Hockey purists (Brian Burke) understand that successful post lock-out NHL teams are built with “proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence”.

Hab stars from yester-year are mostly humble ambassadors of the game. Beliveau, Robinson, Dryden, & Gainey come to mind. How many quotes do you recall from these guys? Not many, I’m guessing. A true role model (Grapes) would say things that leave a positive & lasting impression on young hockey players and fans alike. On fighting Anybody who says they don’t like fighting in the NHL have to be out of their minds”, or “The best thing about this game (CFL), there’s no Russians or Swedes playing.”  And on immigrants “When I come into the airport at 2am, guess who takes my ticket? They work hard and they’re alright in my book.” Or how about then Isles GM Mike Milbury “It’s always good to have the building filled, even if it’s with low-IQ Ranger fans”. There are many more, but I digress.

The Bell Centre displays 24 Cup Banners and 17 Retired Jerseys – enough to drive any non Hab fan nuts.

Truth – your Habs are one of only two teams in Canada that offers Cup hope in the near future, and one of the better built teams in the NHL, solid from the net out, ahead of the Bruins, and miles ahead of the Leafs on all levels. With solid ownership, a bright Mgmt group in place, and a talented crop of prospects coming along nicely, most Hab fans see Cup #25 as a distinct possibility in the near future, albeit with a minor tweak or two.

62. Mike Boone says:

“Merry Christmas” and the celebration of Christ’s birth don’t offend me either. But Canada is not a theocracy, like Iran. We don’t have an official state religion, and the public airwaves should not used for angry (as opposed to joyous, which would be more in keeping with the spirit of the season) promotion of religious observance.

63. HabFab says:

Amen brother!!

64. duffy says:

I don,t hear Cherry talking much about how great Kadri is , this man will never admit  when he is wrong about something ,and is about as phony as they come.

65. Danno says:

Thanks DL.

I just think Mr. Holier-than-thou should look in the miror before he starts preaching moral values to the masses on our public airwaves.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

66. showey47 says:

that was exactly my first thought when i hearad it last night.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

My friend lived in Kingston for a couple years, on some days he told me if he had his choice, he’d live in hell.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

68. DearyLeary says:

Anyone else find it funny that in that ‘remix’ he talks about “not changing, and going down blazing”, yet he lambastes PK on a regular basis?

69. DearyLeary says:

Well done.

70. Lafrich says:

I never knew how lucky I was to be living in NYC for 11 years. i watched all the games on the opposing team’s feed on NHL Center Ice. Now I am back in Canada, so I subscribe to RDS.

I honestly wouldn’t even have known that the old moronic coot was still on if not for the rants here on HIO. Let us collectively not even comment on the old guy, and let him rot in Hull, or Kingston…

71. B says:

I moved my comment here to the now present and more appropriate game day thread (Rocky Mountain Low).

72. Danno says:

Has the Right Reverend Don Cherry not sinned?

Let GOD be the judge!

The Seven Deadly Sins are…

Lust– Senseless infatuation and attraction — for Boston or Toronto only.

Pride – Conceitedness – Always being right. Being loud while wearing flamboyant colours. Not respecting others

Envy– Jealousy… Especially of others who have beaten you in sport

Greed– Being a selfish pig. Selling one’s books or DVDs on the CBC

Sloth– Laziness. Shown by incoherence or an inability to finish a sentence. Also an inability to count leading to too many men on the ice penalties.

Wrath– Senseless anger — Towards a talented young Canadiens’ defenceman or anything European

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

73. B says:

Don Cherry supplies so much idiotic fodder to go off on, but jumping on him for expressing a thought about Christmas not being just about presents? Oh well. I suppose in this PC era, anyone expressing a public Christian sentiment towards something like Christmas is subject to scorn and outrage from Muslim, Jewish, atheist or any other non Christian folks that at the most (and only if really necessary) one should only be allowed to express something safe and non-offensive like “Happy Holidays” or “Merry Generic Festive Occasion”. Personally, it does not offend or bother me at all when folks publicly celebrate or mention Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Festivus or what ever. I guess everybody has different triggers or thresholds of tolerance.

Colorado has lots of great, young players.

Avalanche stat and info page on Faceoff.

A game preview from Colorado’s perspective.

O’Byrne shines for Avs.

O’Byrne makes himself feel quite at home.

Matt Duchene is tonight’s player to watch.

Paul Stastny is “hopeful” for tonight’s game.  Official Colorado Avs’ website page.

75. SPATS says:

As in the states, there is probably someone with deep pockets who Cherry is trying to impress by spreading their old tired message. He is highly educated in his ignorance. I doubt he knows how to surf the web, and for that, he is incapable of learning anything new. He excels at regurgitating old stuff for the old white audience. (Hey that’s me!) But I awoke a long time ago. Merry Christmas to the Christians and Happy Chanukah to the Jewish. Is that so hard? Seasons greetings to the rest. May the extremists on all sides take a dirtnap.

76. Danno says:

Boone, you’re on to something. Reliable sources have informed me that this guy is grooming Cherry and advising him as his political mentor.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

77. HabFab says:

LOL, me thinks those two EGOS couldn’t fit into the same room!

78. filincal says:

….and a Masters’ degree in COMMUNICATION!!! hahahha…too funny.

79. twilighthours says:

My wife worked at CBC Sports in the mid-2000s, right around the time when he took shots at french guys and visor-wearing players – called them sissies or something.

It was her job to find the tapes of those shows and then transcribe what he said.  When she got home that night, she was exhausted:

“I had to try and transcribe a segment of Coach’s Corner today.  The man makes no sense, and he never once completes a sentence.  I used the phrase “(unintelligible)” more than I used real words.”

80. Chorske says:

So it’s the Christian Broadcasting Church now?

Please, the sooner the man becomes a preacher, the happier I’ll be.

Greatest Canadian my ASS.

81. RockinRey says:

Have to say it does get kind of boorish that between you and Jack Todd you have keep on and on about Cherry. We get it Boone!!!

I take him for what he is and  disagree with so much of what he says. Many things he says frustrate me , from never finishing a sentence, to the comments he made about PK, to talking about a code and other things.

As a fan of the Habs and an ex Montrealer ( and family and friends still living there) living in Toronto I have come to live with the Toronto Sports Network, the Leaf centric position of the CBC and DC’s  ramblings. I am not sure if it is a Montreal thing or not but if you keep bringing it up it seems like you have a very similar agenda to his.

Dont seem to hear you make too many comments about the  bias, racial and inappropriate comments that are consistently made on RDS airwaves or the website. Just look back at a couple of Michele Bergerons columns over the last couple of years.

For that matter look at the comments from Paulin Marois about the Habs being a propaganda tool! Apparently Don Cherry is the only one capable of making these kinds of ridiculous comments. The Habs are too English and the Allophones caused the referendum to be lost!! Hmmm . Not xenophibic or ignorant at all.

Far be it for me to defend him but some of his things are spot on. Not all but some. And in my opinion he is way off on PK and so are the Habs coaching staff in how they handled things.

And I dont have a problem at all with him promoting Christianity!! None whatsoever! Dont see why you should.

82. DearyLeary says:

Really?  I’ve seen Boone chirp the French media before.  RDS can be bad, but they’re not a publicly owned company.

The fact of the matter is that the CBC is a public property, and their hockey programming has gone downhill steadily.  A disproportionate amount of money is spent on Ron/Don, for one of the worst segments in hockey broadcasting right now.  He talks about how he was coach of the year, pretty much every week, when a trained monkey could have told Bobby Orr to jump over the boards.

When he uses hockey to disguise jingoistic rants it’s bad, but when he doesn’t even bother with veiled political statements it’s even worse.  He goes on to use our property as his own personal pulpit, anyone who has any pride in what the CBC represents should be taking them to task for allowing this kind of nonsense.

He is alone in the sports broadcasting world when he injects politics into every segment he puts out.  He isolates himself, he wants to be a lightning rod.  The best thing we can do is ignore the old coot, and watch other broadcasts.  Don started out as a caricature of himself, now he’s like some absurdist painting with absolutely no coherent point.  A lot of people eat it up because he beats a Canadian drum, but the fact of the matter is, he’s un-Canadian, no matter how much he drapes himself in the flag.

83. matrags says:

I have a big problem with Cherry promoting Christianity , I m one of those Left Wing pinkoes christians that he loves to bash inhis spirite of peace and love to all mankind.

84. andrewberkshire says:

Are you new? Boone rags on RDS all the time.

As for promoting christianity, it’s a hockey show. And not all the viewers of the CBC are christian. In fact over 20% (some recent surveys have suggested this number could be as high as 40% in 5 years) of Canadians have no affiliation with religion, so promoting it on a government sponsored television station is about as inappropriate as you could possibly get. If Don wants to promote his religion on his DVDs or on his own time, all the power to him, but not while people of other religions are paying his egregiously high salary for his 5 minutes of work per week.

85. andrewberkshire says:

The best part is that according to clues from scripture, Jesus was born nowhere near December 25th. And honestly only the most ignorant christians believe that he was.

86. _Habsoloutly_ says:

The best part is there are at least a dozen “religions” that predate Christianity that have the same story point’s, born to a virgin, born on the 25th, raised from the dead, ect. ect.

87. yves_on_habs says:

Never a dull moment with Don. When his loud brash demeanor isn’t enough…. he tries to become our (CBC hockey night in canada tv watchers) moral guide.

– Yves –

Blog –

Twitter –

88. CharlieHodgeFan says:

If crazy old Don becomes a messiah, he’ll simply send out too many disciples on the ice. If he couldn’t win with Bobby Orr, he ain’t gonna win with… umm, let’s not go there.

He’s just positioning himself to run for parliament and become Minister of Science.

89. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Don Cherry is an IMBECILE… he hates the Habs with a passion, never has anything good to say but is quick to point out anything that doesn’t fit with his warped agenda.

This dinosaur needs to be banned from the ‘public purse’… he is a disgrace, an idiot, a racist and one lacking in any sense of history…. he is a puppet.

1:The N.A.G.S. (North American Grit Speed) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2: The NHL-REF-SYNDICATE will do everything in its power to deny us the cup. 3. up WHITE/SHULTZ/PAX now.

90. punkster says:

There are rare times…rare, I say…that we agree. This is one of them.

Anybody notice how the CBC has degraded since Harper has been PM. The CBC was always at the forefront of progressive thinking and broadcasting. It’s not a coincidence.

92. Exit716 says:

LMAO. Sure. You mean Hockey Night In Canada became a Leafs love-in starting only in 2006? Really? Why not go back to 1998 when Molson abandoned the show in favour of Labatt and it started to become a Leafs informercial. I think Jean Chretien was the Prime Minister then, but you’d probably blame that on Mulroney or Diefenbaker.

93. mrhabby says:

i  will remember this day for along time…

94. punkster says:

Oh crap…witnesses.

95. Chorske says:

You are SO dead to me now

96. punkster says:

Don’t you people have anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon than…oh, wait!

(Lovin’ the new avatar Chris!)

97. andrewberkshire says:

My personal favourite is that Jesus was born in Nazareth, but they changed it in the gospels because the Jewish messiah was born in Bethlehem. So they made up several different stories that have all been proven false by looking at contemporaneous historians.

98. VancouverHab says:

Good gracious me. You are charging as an interpretive accusation the very thing that Christianity is presenting openly as a character.

It is a fact of open record that Christianity, in the first millenium AD, declared itself to be synchronising its major festivals with the existing folk beliefs of Europe. It said this in public and deliberately: it was no occult thing done in a corner! Good grief: it is remarkable the level of historical unawareness of the very thing that he believes himself to be attacking that the average publicly-educated atheist has in this day and age.

It is Christianity’s very character to harmonise its beliefs and practices with pre-existing systems: its foundational principles say that it is the fulfillment of things, not its replacement (the Christian term is ‘baptise’) This is the reason why it installed its calendar but applied the names of the folk gods to name the days of the week and the months. You actually seem to think that this was done unknowingly!

Please go on hating Christianity: but do hate it correctly and from a deep and first-hand, not a shallow and second-hand, reading of history. To quote Pope (the poet, Alexander, I see that I must specify), “a little learning is a dangerous thing…” (He’s paraphrasing Bacon here, which is perhaps even more apposite: “A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion.”)

99. habsgirl74 says:

do you even have a clue what your talking about, you seem to have a personal hatred for Christians, and yes Jesus was born in bethlehem because herod hade a census done and everyone had to go to their place of birth so Joseph had to go to bethlehem from Nazereth

I said the CBC. I never mentioned HNIC specifically. My point is about the quality of the CBC in general, both on line and in it’s broadcasts, that it has declined in recent years. Conservatives are not fans of public broadcasting and favour privatization. Why wouldn’t there be a connection?

101. Cdnman1 says:

I sent this to the email address for the CBC given in an earlier post:

I am sick to death of the opinions of Stock, Millbury and
    Cherry taking shots at the Canadiens players every chance they get.  I
    don’t speak French but I am forced to watch RDS instead of hockey night in
    Canada because it is so infuriating. To think that our tax dollars support this
    bunch of knuckle dragging morons!

Enough is enough. CBC is only for Toronto or Boston fans!
    What a shame.

102. Shiloh says:

Cherry is awful – and he has been awful for a few decades. We know what we are going to get from him and we can take it with a grain of salt. He’s long past his pasture date, however.

Far more egregious is the horrific McLean, who should have been dismissed in mid-show for his cowardly and slanted attack on Alex Burroughs last year. Bonafide visual evidence supported everything Burroughs said – yet McLean was given five minutes of our air time to carve up the kid.

As bad as Cherry has been, Milbury and Stock were perhaps worse Thursday night. The Habs played an excellent game against one of the league’s better teams – and all we got was hate spewed in the direction of Laps and PK – pure venom. Milbury even expressed a desire to impose physical harm on them – not that the old blowhard could do it. Milbury mocked Stock after the 2nd period when he finally reported that the Habs were playing a “good game”. Milbury called Stock’s comments false and insisted that they were prompted by a few tweets from Montreal. In Milbury’s world, no sane hockey person can possibly like the Habs. And that must disqualify him from the show – period.

103. andrewberkshire says:

Great comment. McLean’s interview with Coli Campbell last year where he carved up Burrows made me sick to my stomach. Ron is a ref in his spare time so it was about defending his peers and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

104. Shiloh says:

And how could Campbell not be in conflict when he sat there and assisted McLean in carving up a peer of his son?

105. andrewberkshire says:

Campbell is about as corrupt as it gets. Old boys club to the core.

106. Danno says:

Boone, what happened to GG11 (Golden Girl’s) Photoshop image of Reverend Cherry?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

107. Mr.Hazard says:

Cherry is an idiot. And I agree that it’s not the place to say it (on Coach’s Corner? Come on man).

BUT! He is right lol. Christmas is about Jesus Christ. That’s why we call it Christmas.

108. RS says:

Cherry gives the same speech every Christmas. This is not new for him. He never says anything new!

109. BJT says:

AndrewBerkshire, if you wanna keep going, feel free, but I gotta take off now. I’ll be back on tomorrow.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

110. andrewberkshire says:

If you want you can email me, I’ll keep it civil. Also the crusades lasted almost 300 years, so that’s why I got on you about saying it was a single leader.

111. habsgirl74 says:

kudos to you, i do not know your age but you know what you are talking about and good job standing up for your beliefs

112. habsgirl74 says:

Why did no one complain when Carey Price was asked by a reporter why he put a cross on his mask and he said because he is a Christian, it was shown on tv so he should not have voiced that?

113. Mr.Hazard says:

Andrew, I lost some respect for you with this:

“Trust me, if I had the ability to “squash christianity”, I would have done so in grade 5 when I realized it was a farce.”

People without faith cannot understand what it is like to have faith. So don’t call it a farce if you don’t understand it. Okay? I hope it was merely something said “in the heat of the moment”. Otherwise, it’s a disappointing and self-debasing comment.

114. subdoxastic says:

The war on christmas!

Reckin, Freckin’ secularists and lefty pinkos always tryin to persecute the christians. The sneaky, secularists– they’re like cockroaches I tells ya!

Hey, looks like I can respond to conservative and reactionary dogwhistles too!

Cherry is an idiot, yes. But you’ll pardon this heathen for getting a little creeped out when he he makes comments like, “Remember kids, December 25th is the Lord Baby Jesus’ birthday!”

Which kids is he thinking would forget? Is there anybody who’s spent any small amount of time in this country who doesn’t know that Dec. 25th is a religious holiday? Certainly no christian kids would be unaware of this fact.

Personally, I’m done with the b.s. employed by those who think that somehow their majority standing is in danger of being dethroned. If you think you’re persecuted because you’re a christian, you’re out to lunch.

The rhetorical move from “Oh, yeah, but he didn’t take the lord’s name in vain” to christmas, to support our troops was interesting if a little messy. I don’t expect too much coherence from Don, but i’m left wondering– do we support our troops because they don’t take the lord’s name in vain? Do we support them because they’re christian? Do we support out troops because we are Christians? Does the Lord baby Jesus support our troops?

115. Miltie01 says:

As many will attest, even Berkshire, there are many who don’t celebrate with the birth of Jesus in mind.

Cherry, in my mind should limit his discussions to hockey, that is after all what the program is about. That being said, other broadcasters use their allotted times to get up on their soapbax, why not Don ? Because you disagree ?

116. VancouverHab says:

I don’t know if this thread is still alive, but I’m game if it is.

Secularism is the default position in the public sphere, that’s common knowledge for anyone who know anything about politics.

Uhmm… No.

Secularists want secularism to be “the default position in the public sphere” and secularists aggressively evangelise as if it were. But facts are not the Secularists’ friends here.

• The opening words of the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms: “Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of GOD…”
    • The Canadian Constitution, Premable to the Bill of Rights: “The Parliament of Canada, affirming that the Canadian Nation is founded upon principles that acknowledge the supremacy of GOD…”
    • The Holiday we celebrate at this time is called CHRISTMAS in Canadian parliament and CHRISTMAS DAY is a Canadian Statutory Holiday by Act of Parliament. This has obtained uninterruptedly for as long as there has been a Canadian nation.

Facts are facts. And the fact is that Canada is not an officially secular country, and it is an plain error to claim that it is.

Secularists may not (do not) like this. Secularists want to change it. Go for it. Just realise that Secularist beliefs do not get to be the dominanting belief system — and they most certainly cannot contrort reality by fiat to match their dogmas.

117. habsgirl74 says:

awesome post

118. VancouverHab says:

Aw shucks, HG ;–)

Looks like this thread is past its live date: I believe that we’ll continue it tomorrow on that day’s thread….

119. HugeHabsFan says:

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

120. redgorf says:

guys wake up! Don should be made a senator, all they do is go to the office and sleep! But when it comes to thanking our soldiers fortheir scrafices,sufferings and injuries, I thank himfor doing it. It also gives him the right of speech. stating that dec 25 is christ’s birth day is agreeing with many people of diffrent faiths.What’s wrong with that.