The Madness of Coach Don

Last night’s edition of Coach’s Corner began with a cool mash-up and then continued with videos of a few fights and Cherry rambling all over the NHL landscape – but not picking on P.K., unless you see his praise of less chirping by Ryan Kesler as a veiled slam on Subban.

Cherry concluded the segment with an angry reminder that Dec. 25 celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ.

Wha???

Call me paranoid, but I think the old coot is setting himself up for a third career.

The speech at Rob Ford’s inauguration, bashing “left-wing kooks”, the use of the public airwaves to promote a particular religion …

Cherry is positioning himself for either politics (he’s too old and, frankly, too ignorant) or the more likely bet: a gig on Sun TV, the Canadian version of Fox News that Pierre Karl Péladeau wants to launch.

(Thanks to GG11 for Don the Evangelist, another brilliant PhotoShop)

t1BiT8eWTVg

1. BJT says:

The Christmas season is a season to celebrate Christ’s birth. Fact.

I already went over why it is on this date (the bit about Saturn). Fact.

I’m not the one complaining, you are. I’m defending my beliefs against you trashing Christianity and saying that Christ’s birth is not the reason for Christmas. Fact.

I am not at all delusional, thanks. (Fact, as far as I am aware)

The holiday is not fake, it is real. How can you say it is fake when I am sitting here without school for the next 1.5 weeks because of the Christmas holiday? Fact.

2. punkster says:

Oh…(quickly shuts off porch light).

***Subbang!!!***

3. BJT says:

I never said Chanukah (I never knew it was spelled that way.. actually kinda cool) never existed. I said that the reason we celebrate the Christmas season, Christmas Eve, and Christmas day itself in Canada, the United States, and Europe is because of Christ being born. That is inarguable. Dec 25th is not a holiday because of Chanukah. It is a holiday 100% because of Christ’s birth.

Oh, and the bit where you call Christianity a ‘farce’? That, right there, is intolerance and oppressing people’s beliefs, and hypocrisy.

And I have not done research of the Crusades, but from what I have heard it was a King Henry from England and Saladin leading their troops. I also know 100% that the bible does not tell people to pillage, plunder, rape, murder, and steal, so therefore they were not legit christians.

4. andrewberkshire says:

You know what I find the most hilarious of all? That christians think things like a “christmas” tree and “christmas” lights are associated with their religion. Hell, lights outside the home this time of the year used to signify that an orgy was taking place in the home and everyone was welcome.

5. andrewberkshire says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Goodyear a creationist?

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Don Cherry too ignorant for Canadian politics?

Not for the Conservative party he isn’t.

If you can have an ignoramus like Gary Goodyear as minister of SCIENCE, then Don Cherry would fit right in.

(Goodyear is a born again xtian who doesn’t believe in evolution and – more importantly – abolished funding for Genome Canada, the major funding agency for research in genetic diseases).

7. andrewberkshire says:

So now (self censored) swearing is a sign of immaturity? Sorry, I thought it was just a sign of inflection to show how flabargasted I was by your stupidity. Like I said, you’re continually failing to address anything I bring up to counter your “christ is the only reason blah blah blegh” crap, so the conversation is done. Keep denying that you’re pretending to be persecuted. The bottom line is, Cherry did something that was inappropriate for what his job entails, and he got called out for it. If he’s going to bring up his religion in a public forum, it’s FAIR GAME for criticism. That’s how the world works, little man.

8. andrewberkshire says:

So then Chanukah doesn’t exist? And no one in North America or Europe celebrates this season without influence of the fake birth of a baby? Are you delusional? Christmas is one day, the so called Christmas season seems to last from American thanksgiving to New years. If you honestly believe Christians have the right to lay claim to be the only reason for this season to be celebrated, this conversation is over because you’re nuts.

As for the crusades (plural) being the result of A greedy ruler? How is that? Which one? Because they were all done in the name of one man, and he wasn’t a ruler.

9. Danno says:

Posted earlier.

For those of you who missed it, Pierre Goat-ier himself sent me this Holiday Greeting.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. CHsam says:

“We’re runnin outta time”….LMAO.

11. BJT says:

THIS is an unintelligent comment. I am actually currently in the process of growing up physically, but evidently I’m more mature than you are, initiating insults being thrown around and dropping F bombs. I’m not ‘pretending’ my beliefs are being persecuted (factually, Don Cherry’s are – you can’t deny it), I’m not even saying that mine are. YOU’RE saying that mine are. Nobody else.

12. WestHab says:

the sad thing is if cherry started a cult there would be a flock the size of about 9 provinces.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

13. RockinRey says:

Angry? Didn’t come across as angry to me! Preachy yes but not angry! Theocracy? Yes we dont have an official state religion. And I didnt hear him make a commentary about any religion other than Christianity is wrong. But we do have community leaders in Toronto that are espousing Sharia law (with an agenda to supercede rights and freedoms) and  high profile business men saying Jews should only marry Jews. And in your own backyard you have ignorant view points spouted by French and English alike. Are these views not ignorant? They have been presented on the CBC in the past…. I think these things are wrong.

Has Don Cherry crossed the line at times ? Sure you can strongly argue the case but I didn’t see him as being angry just simply reminding kids ( whether we like it or not or think it is valid) what Christmas is about. To be thankful, that it is a joyous and loving season and its not simply about Santa and presents. Again, a little preachy and perhaps not in the most articulate fashion but like I said does the Gazette and do you have an agenda about him? What is wrong with him expressing something about Christmas? Even on a public broadcaster. I would submit that for you it has more to do with who said it .  A little hyprocritical since your commentary is peppered with your political  view points .

His comments speak to something that he has spoken about in the past. For instance people openly complaining about being offended about a naitivity scene in a mall. Which has happened on more than one occasion.  What happens on these occasions? We pander to everyone so that this kind of thing is not perceived as offensive. So what if it is a pulic broadcaster and a high profile figure wants to remind us about the season. You think every view point on the CBC is valid and thoughtful or balanced for that matter?

Perhaps its you that has the problem Boone! I never got that impression from anything he said that if you didn’t practice Christianity you were less of a human.

Maybe you can be the bigger media person and stick to Hockey!!

Go Habs go!

14. HugeHabsFan says:

Merry Christmas Mike!  Hope you have a wonderful holiday! :o)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

15. andrewberkshire says:

SEASON, emphasis on SEASON. Ever heard of Chanukah? It overlaps December 25th often.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, because you already admitted you know Jesus wasn’t born on the 25th and that it doesn’t REALLY have any real association with Christianity, so what the **** are you bitching about? You’re bitching about your right to lay absolute claim to a fake holiday you know has nothing to do with what you’re celebrating. Delusional much?

16. BJT says:

I’m gonna start with your last statement. Cherry is not a ‘religious lunatic’. If he is, then I can call you a pessimistic, angry, power-tripping, Christianity-squashing secularist nutball.

The birth of Jesus is 100% the reason for the CHRISTMAS season. Which this is. Christmas being the objective word, incase you didn’t catch that. Not ‘Judamas’. ‘CHRISTmas’. Celebrating CHRIST’s birth. Not anybody else’s.  And the the crusades were not a result of legitimate christianity, more like a greedy ruler.  (once again changing the subject there)

Furthermore, he wasn’t running over anybody’s beliefs. He was stating a fact: The birth CHRIST is the reason for CHRISTmas, and CHRISTmas is the reason that we in North America and Europe celebrate this time of year (which I previously alluded to, incase you didn’t catch that). It is our culture’s doing. It is fact.

17. HugeHabsFan says:

Well written, and very much enjoyed the read.  Thanks!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

18. andrewberkshire says:

Unintelligible =/= needs to be censored. Grow up. Once again, you’re overexaggerating to pretend that you’re beliefs are being persecuted.

19. Mike Boone says:

Hey, I can’t watch It’s a Wonderful Life without crying. I’ve playing the Chieftains Bells of Dublin for two weeks. I LOVE Christmas … by personal choice, as it should be.

20. Mike Boone says:

It wasn’t a “thought about Christmas”. It was an intemperate rant about the One True Official Meaning of Dec. 25, as defined by Ayatollah Don. Diffwerent strokes, indeed … and the kind of strokes that loon propagates are lashes for non-believers.

21. BJT says:

You said it was unworthy and therefore worthless. If its worthless you may as well delete it. And I’m the one overreacting? Go read some of your flip out, attack filled comments, bud.

22. Chorske says:

And a very happy Saturnalia to you, too.

23. Chorske says:

The whole point is that a public broadcaster, supported in full by a secular government (i.e., NOT a theocracy), has no business lecturing people about Jesus and the meaning of Christmas. I don’t have a problem with airing Christmas specials, mind you- does that make me a hypocrite?

24. andrewberkshire says:

If Cherry said “Merry Christmas” no one would care, but instead he has to rant that everyone needs to remember the birth of baby jesus, even though by stating that he’s showing how completely ignorant he is of the story he’s promoting, as jesus of Nazareth was born in the spring, and his birthdate was changed to December 25th to help assimilate the Pagans of Europe.

25. BJT says:

By always, I am confident that she does not mean every single nanosecond in history until the beginning of time. If that’s what we mean by ‘always’ then that is the most overused word out there. And please list some religions that have a holiday on dec. 25.

26. larisalapointe says:

He’s just a troll in a pink suit.  But a very effective one because he has everyone talking about him all the time. He knows exactly what buttons to push. Good for him.

That is why TV remotes have on/off, mute and channel selector buttons.

27. andrewberkshire says:

Who said it should get deleted? Holy over-react-asaurus. All I said was that the comment was unintelligible, it’s also extremely arrogant and ignorant, so is it deserving of a well thought out response? No.

28. andrewberkshire says:

No, it isn’t close enough to always. Especially when other religions CURRENTLY have holidays at the same time. Always is forever, not 1600 years.

29. andrewberkshire says:

Saying that no one would complain about a Muslim person pointing out a holiday while everyone is complaining about a christian doing the same? I’m not sure about your grasp of the complexities and subtleties of the English language, but that’s feigning persecution my friend. No two ways about it.

And btw, there are other religions who have holidays this time of year, ever heard of Judaism? So unlike what Cherry says, the birth of baby Jesus is NOT the only reason for the season, in fact the winter solstice would be celebrated even without the advent of Christianity, or the brutal takeover by Christianity as they assimilated or killed all the pagans in Europe. If you really don’t understand why a religious lunatic running over everyone else’s beliefs in order to prop up his own on a ***ing HOCKEY show is inappropriate, I suggest you take a minute and think it over and try again.

30. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. Just proves he’s a hypocrite.

31. B says:

If you are trying to compare expressing a thought about Christmas on the public CBC to an Iranian like theocracy then I am sorry, I just don’t see it. Different strokes I guess.

32. Danno says:

They’ve also destroyed CBC Newsworld with a dogs-breakfast of graphics, scrolling ticker tapes, special effects and visual distractions while dumbing down the content to the pre-school level.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

33. BJT says:

Ok gimme a break… I think the late stages of the roman era is close enough to ‘always’ that we can say that word is close enough, unless picking at the wording of people’s comments is all you can do.

34. TommyB says:

Excellent observations!  Quite true.

35. TommyB says:

I thought the whole Coach’s Corner segment was bizarre last night.  And I am of the impression that the rap video was a deliberate, yet subtle, way of addressing the negative e-mails, letters, phone calls, etc. that the CBC has been recieving lately regarding Cherry.  In other words, we are not changing anything…”tough sh&%” to you people who don’t like it.  If not that, then it could be that change is indeed coming and this was Cherry’s way of taking a last stand by saying he is not going to change, go ahead and replace me.  The entire segment was a rambling, incoherent mess.  I totally expected the usual Cherry rant, especially with the hit(s) by Subban this week.  I thought for sure Cherry would mention it, and dump on the Habs for being chicken, or gutless.  His usual schtick.  But by not mentioning anything about Montreal at all, I feel was deliberate as well.  Good chance that he was told by the CBC brass to keep his big mouth shut.  Hence the “not changing, and going down in blazes” video presented by that all-Canadian hip-meister, Ron Maclean.  Could be something more to come.

36. BJT says:

Oh. Ok. I guess now that Andrew Berkshire and Mike Boone have decided that this apparently clearly inferior and idiotically written comment was ‘unworthy’ it may as well just get deleted, right? Tolerance indeed. Wow.

37. BeachHabFan says:

watching the ceeb is like driving slowly past a car wreck – horrifying, sometimes ridiculous, and you feel kind of dirty afterwards. if don’s trying to be our charlton heston, i guess the moses gig is part of the shtick.

“We need a goal – get me Gigomax!” – Jacques Martin

38. arcosenate says:

Oh please let it be politics, please, please, please…

39. BJT says:

I’m a christian, yes, but how exactly am I pretending to be persecuted? I don’t feel persecuted at all. Way to start a discussion off with an attack, by the way. And I am fully aware there is no evidence Jesus was born in december. Christmas was originally ‘Saturnella’, a day on which Romans worshipped the sun god (they did this because the days grew shorter as we grew further away from the sun, and therefore they worshipped the sun to ‘bring it back’). This holiday was eventually ‘Christianized’ as the faith in Saturnella died off and so it was declared this now purposeless festival/holiday would be given a new cause, to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. In that regard it is 100% the reason for the season.

Well, actually, Saturn is, technically. So if you want that to be your complaint give ‘er.

Also, none of us came on here to discuss science & religion (which I would be capable of if you really wanted to) so maybe you should keep that to yourself unless confronted with it.

40. punkster says:

Good stuff Dan.

***Subbang!!!***

41. Landof10000lakesHab says:

The Montreal Canadiens are the NY Yankees of Hockey. Face it; most folks in Canada have either a fanatical love or a seething hatred of the Habs.

What drives anti Hab sentiment?

100 seasons & 24 Cups, or one Cup approximately every 4 years. Overkill – and just plain unfair.

Bruin fans, Don Cherry, and hockey writers such as Stephen Harris of the Herald take comfort in the fact that poor officiating was likely responsible for the majority of Hab cups. “A dirty and despicable little team that dishes out cheap shots and shows not the slightest willingness to back up stickwork by dropping the gloves”.  Could poor officiating be more obvious than in 79 with the “too many men” call against the B’s with less than 2 minutes to go? Result – a Lafleur goal that ultimately cost a colorful B’s coach his job.  A heroic comeback saw Grapes lead the Rockies to 19 wins the following year with this charge – “Come to the fights and watch a Rockies game break out!” Still, the feelings persist.

Don Cherry is no fool – he saw an opportunity to exact revenge. Landing a commentator gig with HNIC, and using prior Cadillac salesman skills, Grapes slowly but surely worked Hab venom into countless households across Canada. Realizing the majority of Canadians would never succumb to Bruin fever, Grapes knew the next logical solution was to promote Leaf nation. A shame the Leafs would never respond with the success that Grapes envisioned, but a minor inconvenience. Start with the youth as they are most impressionable, “all you kids out there”.  Continue by spewing a code of conduct based on fighting grit (which builds mutual respect BTW), then release a series of Rock’em, Sock’em videos to support the effort. Pull the patriotic heart strings weekly (support the troops, taking jobs away from good Canadian boys), add a dash of nation divide (on visors – “most guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys”), criticize the NHL for efforts to reduce fighting and promote Hab like speed and skill, criticize players who hot dog or who behave in a disrespectful manner to seasoned vets, and be sure to talk in a manly tone of players from Ontario or honorable mention to boys from out West that show the right “attaboy” stuff. To ensure future generations get the message, be sure also to promote the hiring of other enforcers capable hockey minds at CBC such as PJ Stock (Habville resident) and Mike Milbury. Finish segments with “God love ya’s”.

HNIC caters to Leaf fans while the Habs are portrayed as “bad guys”. Albeit with ratings on decline, budget cuts, and “culture war” allegations, the Mother Corp is keenly aware that conflict sells ad $$.

The incredible number of Hab fans that show up for road games add fuel to Hab hating fires.

The supposed “French” connection. Do I even need to expand on this nation dividing issue?

Hab fans have not seen a championship in almost 20 years, but we still tend to view all other franchises from an elevation and with pedigree that is likely irritating to most non Hab fans.

Hab teams are built with speed, finesse, solid tending and defense as primary weapons. This can be aggravating for gladiator Leaf type fans that prefer roller-derby hockey, fulla good ol’ boys who know the meaning of respect. Hockey purists (Brian Burke) understand that successful post lock-out NHL teams are built with “proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence”.

Hab stars from yester-year are mostly humble ambassadors of the game. Beliveau, Robinson, Dryden, & Gainey come to mind. How many quotes do you recall from these guys? Not many, I’m guessing. A true role model (Grapes) would say things that leave a positive & lasting impression on young hockey players and fans alike. On fighting Anybody who says they don’t like fighting in the NHL have to be out of their minds”, or “The best thing about this game (CFL), there’s no Russians or Swedes playing.”  And on immigrants “When I come into the airport at 2am, guess who takes my ticket? They work hard and they’re alright in my book.” Or how about then Isles GM Mike Milbury “It’s always good to have the building filled, even if it’s with low-IQ Ranger fans”. There are many more, but I digress.

The Bell Centre displays 24 Cup Banners and 17 Retired Jerseys – enough to drive any non Hab fan nuts.

Truth – your Habs are one of only two teams in Canada that offers Cup hope in the near future, and one of the better built teams in the NHL, solid from the net out, ahead of the Bruins, and miles ahead of the Leafs on all levels. With solid ownership, a bright Mgmt group in place, and a talented crop of prospects coming along nicely, most Hab fans see Cup #25 as a distinct possibility in the near future, albeit with a minor tweak or two.

42. Mike Boone says:

“Merry Christmas” and the celebration of Christ’s birth don’t offend me either. But Canada is not a theocracy, like Iran. We don’t have an official state religion, and the public airwaves should not used for angry (as opposed to joyous, which would be more in keeping with the spirit of the season) promotion of religious observance.

43. andrewberkshire says:

Maybe because it was an unintelligible response unworthy of a proper reply? Nah, couldn’t be that.

44. HabFab says:

Amen brother!!

45. andrewberkshire says:

“thats what it has always been celebrated for”

NO IT HASN’T!!!!!! Why are christians so ignorant about this? This season has been celebrated by a TON of different religions before christianity ever existed!

46. duffy says:

I don,t hear Cherry talking much about how great Kadri is , this man will never admit  when he is wrong about something ,and is about as phony as they come.

47. Danno says:

Thanks DL.

I just think Mr. Holier-than-thou should look in the miror before he starts preaching moral values to the masses on our public airwaves.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

48. BJT says:

I notice you didn’t even attempt to refute any of her points, instead resorting to mocking her spelling error & 1 of the points she made in her post.

49. showey47 says:

that was exactly my first thought when i hearad it last night.

50. andrewberkshire says:

Another christian pretending to be persecuted. Pathetic man, really. Christians exert their will over everyone else in North America on a daily basis, and you complain that a publicly funded HOCKEY commentator should be allowed to proclaim jesus’s birth is the one true reason for the season? Get a grip on reality, Jesus wasn’t even born in december, if he was born at all (recent historical studies have provided absolutely no evidence of his existence in history).

51. SeriousFan09 says:

My friend lived in Kingston for a couple years, on some days he told me if he had his choice, he’d live in hell.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

52. DearyLeary says:

Anyone else find it funny that in that ‘remix’ he talks about “not changing, and going down blazing”, yet he lambastes PK on a regular basis?

53. DearyLeary says:

Well done.

54. Lafrich says:

I never knew how lucky I was to be living in NYC for 11 years. i watched all the games on the opposing team’s feed on NHL Center Ice. Now I am back in Canada, so I subscribe to RDS.

I honestly wouldn’t even have known that the old moronic coot was still on if not for the rants here on HIO. Let us collectively not even comment on the old guy, and let him rot in Hull, or Kingston…

55. BJT says:

If that broadcaster were to say something along the lines of “Remember, today marks the start of Ramadan” and then proceed to talk briefly about it, you would be OK with it and you know it. I did not hear what Cherry said as I was not watching (because frankly, I think he’s a moron) but as long as he didn’t say something along the lines of “you better believe Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem on this day long ago, and if you don’t believe it you aren’t allowed to celebrate christmas!” (i.e. ‘forcing’ his beliefs upon somebody) then I don’t see why you should have a problem with it.

56. Mike Boone says:

Long live freedom of speach.

Yes, I hate Christianity.

You’ve got me pegged.

57. B says:

I moved my comment here to the now present and more appropriate game day thread (Rocky Mountain Low).

58. Danno says:

Has the Right Reverend Don Cherry not sinned?

Let GOD be the judge!

The Seven Deadly Sins are…

Lust- Senseless infatuation and attraction — for Boston or Toronto only.

Pride – Conceitedness – Always being right. Being loud while wearing flamboyant colours. Not respecting others

Envy- Jealousy… Especially of others who have beaten you in sport

Greed- Being a selfish pig. Selling one’s books or DVDs on the CBC

Sloth- Laziness. Shown by incoherence or an inability to finish a sentence. Also an inability to count leading to too many men on the ice penalties.

Wrath- Senseless anger — Towards a talented young Canadiens’ defenceman or anything European

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

59. B says:

Don Cherry supplies so much idiotic fodder to go off on, but jumping on him for expressing a thought about Christmas not being just about presents? Oh well. I suppose in this PC era, anyone expressing a public Christian sentiment towards something like Christmas is subject to scorn and outrage from Muslim, Jewish, atheist or any other non Christian folks that at the most (and only if really necessary) one should only be allowed to express something safe and non-offensive like “Happy Holidays” or “Merry Generic Festive Occasion”. Personally, it does not offend or bother me at all when folks publicly celebrate or mention Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Festivus or what ever. I guess everybody has different triggers or thresholds of tolerance.

Colorado has lots of great, young players.

Avalanche stat and info page on Faceoff.

A game preview from Colorado’s perspective.

O’Byrne shines for Avs.

O’Byrne makes himself feel quite at home.

Matt Duchene is tonight’s player to watch.

Paul Stastny is “hopeful” for tonight’s game.  Official Colorado Avs’ website page.

61. andrewberkshire says:

It’s funny that you’re saying everyone else got their backup when you’ve been ranting about this and trying to pretend Boone has an “agenda”. Buzz off? Not so confident in your beliefs that you can’t take some criticism.

62. SPATS says:

As in the states, there is probably someone with deep pockets who Cherry is trying to impress by spreading their old tired message. He is highly educated in his ignorance. I doubt he knows how to surf the web, and for that, he is incapable of learning anything new. He excels at regurgitating old stuff for the old white audience. (Hey that’s me!) But I awoke a long time ago. Merry Christmas to the Christians and Happy Chanukah to the Jewish. Is that so hard? Seasons greetings to the rest. May the extremists on all sides take a dirtnap.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

63. andrewberkshire says:

You’re completely off base. Secularism is the default position in the public sphere, that’s common knowledge for anyone who know anything about politics. Just because you happen to agree with Cherry’s utterances doesn’t make them appropriate. He’s been paid by the public, and therefore should be non-committal when it comes to politics and religion when he’s performing his job.

64. Wayne says:

Bieska’s his fave Canuck player ya know….

65. Wayne says:

In a nutshell….

66. Wayne says:

But still 6 grades higher than CNN when Bltzer is on.

67. habsgirl74 says:

Why do you have such a problem with someone saying what December 25th is, thats what it has always been celebrated for, you being on here and voicing your opinion is no different than what Cherry did, to me it sounds like you have a problem with Christianity period and last i looked we have freedom of speach in this country and unless that changes anyone can coice their opinion on whatever forum they choose

68. Mike Boone says:

Right, that happens a lot:

A popular national broadcaster points his finger at the camera, raises his voice and says: “This is Ramadan, and don’t you forget it!”

69. Danno says:

At the CBC they refuse to admit that the Emperor Don has no clothes — as you can see in their response to my complaint…

——————————————————————————————

Your
    email concerning comments made by Don Cherry about P.K. Subban
    following the first game of Hockey Night in Canada’s November 27
    doubleheader was forwarded to me for reply by the Office of the CBC
    Ombudsman and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications
    Commission.

It is unfortunate that you believe Don’s comments represented a “hateful vendetta” against player P.K. Subban.

For
    a number of weeks, Subban’s play has been topic for players, coaches,
    fans, and the media. Don’s job as a commentator is to talk about the hot
    issues around the league, and this is a hot topic.

I
    have reviewed the tapes of Don’s short comments about Subban on
    November 27 and comments he made about this player earlier in November. I
    must strongly disagree with your assessment of them. He did he say
    anything which could be construed as “openly encouraging violence.” He
    neither “incited” nor “justified” violence toward Subban. Indeed, he has
    not only praised Subban’s talent – noting that Subban is a player Don
    has known of and watched develop for many years – but he also stated
    outright that he did not condone players deliberately hurting each
    other.

Again, thank you for writing. I’ve shared your comments with my colleagues at HNIC.

Sincerely,

David Masse

Senior Director,

CBC Sports

————————————————————————-

In other words, “Let them eat cake!”

KEEP SENDING COMMENTS AND COMPLAINTS TO THE CBC OMBUDSMAN AND THE CRTC UNTIL SOMETHING IS DONE. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

…and a successful merger it is!!!!

71. PeterD says:

As I watched last nights braodcast of the Toronto and Vancouver games I specifically watched between periods to see if there would any response by the CBC to the blatant and outrageous negative commentary towards the Habs during Thursday nights game.

What I took away from the Coach’s corner segment and then the Mibury segment later on was that they have in fact received the feedback many of us have sent them…I personally sent an e-mail to the CBC complaints department expressing my concerns over the protrayal of our Canadian Game by thugs like Mike Milbury, PJ Stock and Don Cherry…they are on publically funded TV spewing violent and negative coments and glorifiying violence to an audience of young children that idolize the stars of the game…these are impressionable young minds being contaminated and corrupted by ignorant thugs like Milbury and Cherry…these are not the Canadian Values that we wwant our kids to be exposed to through our tax funded networks…

Any way, I digress..my point is that from last nights commentaries I got the impression that they have been told to get a grip and reconsider their comments on National TV…my fear is that Ron Maclean, Don Cherry, Mike Milbury and PJ Stock are just too stupid or insensitive to actually understand and “get it” that they are ofensive to a very large audience base in Canada…I don’t believe anything will change due to the contracts involved until after the season is over…if it continues we as fans need to continue to send letters to the CBC network and to the CRTC complaints departments to express our displeasure wth the trreatment and coverage and negative commentaries directed towards our team.

Peace out everybody…tis the season to welcome into the universe love and peace..but these guys on CBC really tick me off so keep sending in the letters to try an make a difference and get rid of these morons…it’s our right as tax payers funding this network and also our right as fans for the greatest sports team in the universe…well at least on this planet.

72. Mats Naslund says:

so your justification for Don Cherry is that state-sponsored TV stations in Iran do the same thing – why shouldn’t we? The only thing that is offensive about this whole thing is the mis-use of public airways under the guise of HOCKEY. What did all of that have with Bruce Boudreau again? That WAS what he was talking about before he got all mysti-eyed about the troops again right?

Just tell me you would still be ok with what Don Cherry said if he had said: “Kids, just remember that the real reason we celebrate December 25th is that it is a 4000 year old tradition in which a bishop saint of asia minor and a pagan god of the Germans merged to become Santa Claus in order to celebrate the new year”.

73. twilighthours says:

And that, I think, is the key point.  As months and years go by, there is less actual hockey being discussed on Coach’s Corner and more of one man’s political agenda.

I don’t want my tax dollars contributing to it, and I think I might write this david.masse@cbc.ca.

74. hockeydoc says:

he keeps bringing up many cogent points which you just ignore or insult

75. CHsam says:

If I had never watched Coach’s Corner before and saw this last edition, I’d come away with impressions of a man who loves TANKS, SUITS, a little bit of hockey, NOT TAKING THE LORD’S NAME IN VAIN, JESUS’s BIRTHDAY, ARMY.

Happy Holidays yall

76. habsgirl74 says:

do you even have a clue what your talking about, you seem to have a personal hatred for Christians, and yes Jesus was born in bethlehem because herod hade a census done and everyone had to go to their place of birth so Joseph had to go to bethlehem from Nazereth

77. andrewberkshire says:

My personal favourite is that Jesus was born in Nazareth, but they changed it in the gospels because the Jewish messiah was born in Bethlehem. So they made up several different stories that have all been proven false by looking at contemporaneous historians.

78. VancouverHab says:

Good gracious me. You are charging as an interpretive accusation the very thing that Christianity is presenting openly as a character.

It is a fact of open record that Christianity, in the first millenium AD, declared itself to be synchronising its major festivals with the existing folk beliefs of Europe. It said this in public and deliberately: it was no occult thing done in a corner! Good grief: it is remarkable the level of historical unawareness of the very thing that he believes himself to be attacking that the average publicly-educated atheist has in this day and age.

It is Christianity’s very character to harmonise its beliefs and practices with pre-existing systems: its foundational principles say that it is the fulfillment of things, not its replacement (the Christian term is ‘baptise’) This is the reason why it installed its calendar but applied the names of the folk gods to name the days of the week and the months. You actually seem to think that this was done unknowingly!

Please go on hating Christianity: but do hate it correctly and from a deep and first-hand, not a shallow and second-hand, reading of history. To quote Pope (the poet, Alexander, I see that I must specify), “a little learning is a dangerous thing…” (He’s paraphrasing Bacon here, which is perhaps even more apposite: “A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion.”)

I said the CBC. I never mentioned HNIC specifically. My point is about the quality of the CBC in general, both on line and in it’s broadcasts, that it has declined in recent years. Conservatives are not fans of public broadcasting and favour privatization. Why wouldn’t there be a connection?

80. VancouverHab says:

I don’t know if this thread is still alive, but I’m game if it is.

Uhmm… No.

Secularists want secularism to be “the default position in the public sphere” and secularists aggressively evangelise as if it were. But facts are not the Secularists’ friends here.

• The opening words of the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms: “Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of GOD…”
    • The Canadian Constitution, Premable to the Bill of Rights: “The Parliament of Canada, affirming that the Canadian Nation is founded upon principles that acknowledge the supremacy of GOD…”
    • The Holiday we celebrate at this time is called CHRISTMAS in Canadian parliament and CHRISTMAS DAY is a Canadian Statutory Holiday by Act of Parliament. This has obtained uninterruptedly for as long as there has been a Canadian nation.

Facts are facts. And the fact is that Canada is not an officially secular country, and it is an plain error to claim that it is.

Secularists may not (do not) like this. Secularists want to change it. Go for it. Just realise that Secularist beliefs do not get to be the dominanting belief system — and they most certainly cannot contrort reality by fiat to match their dogmas.

81. habsgirl74 says:

awesome post

82. Mr.Hazard says:

Andrew, I lost some respect for you with this:

“Trust me, if I had the ability to “squash christianity”, I would have done so in grade 5 when I realized it was a farce.”

People without faith cannot understand what it is like to have faith. So don’t call it a farce if you don’t understand it. Okay? I hope it was merely something said “in the heat of the moment”. Otherwise, it’s a disappointing and self-debasing comment.

83. habsgirl74 says:

Why did no one complain when Carey Price was asked by a reporter why he put a cross on his mask and he said because he is a Christian, it was shown on tv so he should not have voiced that?

84. Danno says:

Boone, you’re on to something. Reliable sources have informed me that this guy is grooming Cherry and advising him as his political mentor.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

85. HabFab says:

LOL, me thinks those two EGOS couldn’t fit into the same room!

86. filincal says:

….and a Masters’ degree in COMMUNICATION!!! hahahha…too funny.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

87. twilighthours says:

My wife worked at CBC Sports in the mid-2000s, right around the time when he took shots at french guys and visor-wearing players – called them sissies or something.

It was her job to find the tapes of those shows and then transcribe what he said.  When she got home that night, she was exhausted:

“I had to try and transcribe a segment of Coach’s Corner today.  The man makes no sense, and he never once completes a sentence.  I used the phrase “(unintelligible)” more than I used real words.”

88. Chorske says:

So it’s the Christian Broadcasting Church now?

Please, the sooner the man becomes a preacher, the happier I’ll be.

Greatest Canadian my ASS.

89. RockinRey says:

Have to say it does get kind of boorish that between you and Jack Todd you have keep on and on about Cherry. We get it Boone!!!

I take him for what he is and  disagree with so much of what he says. Many things he says frustrate me , from never finishing a sentence, to the comments he made about PK, to talking about a code and other things.

As a fan of the Habs and an ex Montrealer ( and family and friends still living there) living in Toronto I have come to live with the Toronto Sports Network, the Leaf centric position of the CBC and DC’s  ramblings. I am not sure if it is a Montreal thing or not but if you keep bringing it up it seems like you have a very similar agenda to his.

Dont seem to hear you make too many comments about the  bias, racial and inappropriate comments that are consistently made on RDS airwaves or the website. Just look back at a couple of Michele Bergerons columns over the last couple of years.

For that matter look at the comments from Paulin Marois about the Habs being a propaganda tool! Apparently Don Cherry is the only one capable of making these kinds of ridiculous comments. The Habs are too English and the Allophones caused the referendum to be lost!! Hmmm . Not xenophibic or ignorant at all.

Far be it for me to defend him but some of his things are spot on. Not all but some. And in my opinion he is way off on PK and so are the Habs coaching staff in how they handled things.

And I dont have a problem at all with him promoting Christianity!! None whatsoever! Dont see why you should.

90. DearyLeary says:

Really?  I’ve seen Boone chirp the French media before.  RDS can be bad, but they’re not a publicly owned company.

The fact of the matter is that the CBC is a public property, and their hockey programming has gone downhill steadily.  A disproportionate amount of money is spent on Ron/Don, for one of the worst segments in hockey broadcasting right now.  He talks about how he was coach of the year, pretty much every week, when a trained monkey could have told Bobby Orr to jump over the boards.

When he uses hockey to disguise jingoistic rants it’s bad, but when he doesn’t even bother with veiled political statements it’s even worse.  He goes on to use our property as his own personal pulpit, anyone who has any pride in what the CBC represents should be taking them to task for allowing this kind of nonsense.

He is alone in the sports broadcasting world when he injects politics into every segment he puts out.  He isolates himself, he wants to be a lightning rod.  The best thing we can do is ignore the old coot, and watch other broadcasts.  Don started out as a caricature of himself, now he’s like some absurdist painting with absolutely no coherent point.  A lot of people eat it up because he beats a Canadian drum, but the fact of the matter is, he’s un-Canadian, no matter how much he drapes himself in the flag.

91. matrags says:

I have a big problem with Cherry promoting Christianity , I m one of those Left Wing pinkoes christians that he loves to bash inhis spirite of peace and love to all mankind.

92. andrewberkshire says:

Are you new? Boone rags on RDS all the time.

As for promoting christianity, it’s a hockey show. And not all the viewers of the CBC are christian. In fact over 20% (some recent surveys have suggested this number could be as high as 40% in 5 years) of Canadians have no affiliation with religion, so promoting it on a government sponsored television station is about as inappropriate as you could possibly get. If Don wants to promote his religion on his DVDs or on his own time, all the power to him, but not while people of other religions are paying his egregiously high salary for his 5 minutes of work per week.

93. andrewberkshire says:

The best part is that according to clues from scripture, Jesus was born nowhere near December 25th. And honestly only the most ignorant christians believe that he was.

94. _Habsoloutly_ says:

The best part is there are at least a dozen “religions” that predate Christianity that have the same story point’s, born to a virgin, born on the 25th, raised from the dead, ect. ect.

95. yves_on_habs says:

Never a dull moment with Don. When his loud brash demeanor isn’t enough…. he tries to become our (CBC hockey night in canada tv watchers) moral guide.

- Yves –

Blog – http://yvesonhabs.com

Twitter – http://twitter.com/yves_on_habs

96. Cdnman1 says:

I sent this to the email address for the CBC given in an earlier post:

I am sick to death of the opinions of Stock, Millbury and
    Cherry taking shots at the Canadiens players every chance they get.  I
    don’t speak French but I am forced to watch RDS instead of hockey night in
    Canada because it is so infuriating. To think that our tax dollars support this
    bunch of knuckle dragging morons!

Enough is enough. CBC is only for Toronto or Boston fans!
    What a shame.

97. CharlieHodgeFan says:

If crazy old Don becomes a messiah, he’ll simply send out too many disciples on the ice. If he couldn’t win with Bobby Orr, he ain’t gonna win with… umm, let’s not go there.

He’s just positioning himself to run for parliament and become Minister of Science.

98. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Don Cherry is an IMBECILE… he hates the Habs with a passion, never has anything good to say but is quick to point out anything that doesn’t fit with his warped agenda.

This dinosaur needs to be banned from the ‘public purse’… he is a disgrace, an idiot, a racist and one lacking in any sense of history…. he is a puppet.

1:The N.A.G.S. (North American Grit Speed) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2: The NHL-REF-SYNDICATE will do everything in its power to deny us the cup. 3. ..call up WHITE/SHULTZ/PAX now.

99. punkster says:

There are rare times…rare, I say…that we agree. This is one of them.

***Subbang!!!***

Anybody notice how the CBC has degraded since Harper has been PM. The CBC was always at the forefront of progressive thinking and broadcasting. It’s not a coincidence.

101. Exit716 says:

LMAO. Sure. You mean Hockey Night In Canada became a Leafs love-in starting only in 2006? Really? Why not go back to 1998 when Molson abandoned the show in favour of Labatt and it started to become a Leafs informercial. I think Jean Chretien was the Prime Minister then, but you’d probably blame that on Mulroney or Diefenbaker.

102. Shiloh says:

Cherry is awful – and he has been awful for a few decades. We know what we are going to get from him and we can take it with a grain of salt. He’s long past his pasture date, however.

Far more egregious is the horrific McLean, who should have been dismissed in mid-show for his cowardly and slanted attack on Alex Burroughs last year. Bonafide visual evidence supported everything Burroughs said – yet McLean was given five minutes of our air time to carve up the kid.

As bad as Cherry has been, Milbury and Stock were perhaps worse Thursday night. The Habs played an excellent game against one of the league’s better teams – and all we got was hate spewed in the direction of Laps and PK – pure venom. Milbury even expressed a desire to impose physical harm on them – not that the old blowhard could do it. Milbury mocked Stock after the 2nd period when he finally reported that the Habs were playing a “good game”. Milbury called Stock’s comments false and insisted that they were prompted by a few tweets from Montreal. In Milbury’s world, no sane hockey person can possibly like the Habs. And that must disqualify him from the show – period.

103. andrewberkshire says:

Great comment. McLean’s interview with Coli Campbell last year where he carved up Burrows made me sick to my stomach. Ron is a ref in his spare time so it was about defending his peers and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

104. mrhabby says:

i  will remember this day for along time…

105. punkster says:

Oh crap…witnesses.

***Subbang!!!***

106. Chorske says:

You are SO dead to me now

107. punkster says:

Don’t you people have anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon than…oh, wait!

(Lovin’ the new avatar Chris!)

***Subbang!!!***

108. Shiloh says:

And how could Campbell not be in conflict when he sat there and assisted McLean in carving up a peer of his son?

109. andrewberkshire says:

Campbell is about as corrupt as it gets. Old boys club to the core.

110. Danno says:

Boone, what happened to GG11 (Golden Girl’s) Photoshop image of Reverend Cherry?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

111. Mr.Hazard says:

Cherry is an idiot. And I agree that it’s not the place to say it (on Coach’s Corner? Come on man).

BUT! He is right lol. Christmas is about Jesus Christ. That’s why we call it Christmas.

112. RS says:

Cherry gives the same speech every Christmas. This is not new for him. He never says anything new!

113. VancouverHab says:

Aw shucks, HG ;–)

Looks like this thread is past its live date: I believe that we’ll continue it tomorrow on that day’s thread….

114. HugeHabsFan says:

Agreed!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

115. BJT says:

AndrewBerkshire, if you wanna keep going, feel free, but I gotta take off now. I’ll be back on tomorrow.

116. andrewberkshire says:

If you want you can email me, I’ll keep it civil. Also the crusades lasted almost 300 years, so that’s why I got on you about saying it was a single leader.

117. habsgirl74 says:

kudos to you, i do not know your age but you know what you are talking about and good job standing up for your beliefs

118. subdoxastic says:

The war on christmas!

Reckin, Freckin’ secularists and lefty pinkos always tryin to persecute the christians. The sneaky, secularists– they’re like cockroaches I tells ya!

Hey, looks like I can respond to conservative and reactionary dogwhistles too!

Cherry is an idiot, yes. But you’ll pardon this heathen for getting a little creeped out when he he makes comments like, “Remember kids, December 25th is the Lord Baby Jesus’ birthday!”

Which kids is he thinking would forget? Is there anybody who’s spent any small amount of time in this country who doesn’t know that Dec. 25th is a religious holiday? Certainly no christian kids would be unaware of this fact.

Personally, I’m done with the b.s. employed by those who think that somehow their majority standing is in danger of being dethroned. If you think you’re persecuted because you’re a christian, you’re out to lunch.

The rhetorical move from “Oh, yeah, but he didn’t take the lord’s name in vain” to christmas, to support our troops was interesting if a little messy. I don’t expect too much coherence from Don, but i’m left wondering– do we support our troops because they don’t take the lord’s name in vain? Do we support them because they’re christian? Do we support out troops because we are Christians? Does the Lord baby Jesus support our troops?

119. Miltie01 says:

As many will attest, even Berkshire, there are many who don’t celebrate with the birth of Jesus in mind.

Cherry, in my mind should limit his discussions to hockey, that is after all what the program is about. That being said, other broadcasters use their allotted times to get up on their soapbax, why not Don ? Because you disagree ?

120. redgorf says:

redgorf

guys wake up! Don should be made a senator, all they do is go to the office and sleep! But when it comes to thanking our soldiers fortheir scrafices,sufferings and injuries, I thank himfor doing it. It also gives him the right of speech. stating that dec 25 is christ’s birth day is agreeing with many people of diffrent faiths.What’s wrong with that.