The Boston stranglers

Five games against the Bruins this season.

Five Ws, the latest a 5-2 victory that wasn’t the laugher the score suggests.

Fresh from the first healthy scratch of his career, Mathieu Dandenault scored two third period goals to bust open a tense, one-goal game.

Canadiens move six poits ahead of the Bruins and have outscored them 24-10 this season.

First star: Mike Komisarek – a monster when the Bruins tried to up the physical ante.

1. Ed says:

Good one. Let the rumours begin.

2. Habs-Kat says:

Wooh, Powerplay! I always get excited for these against the Bruins.

3. the_vipah says:

Savard needs not to turn into the boards with a player checking him. As soon as these morons stop this crap the hits from behind will pretty much disapear.

4. Mattee. says:

Excellent lob by smoks, I think the other guy was supposed to head it in.

5. Keith says:

Who’s your Daddy INDEED! 2-0 Habs LOVE IT!!

6. Shawn S says:

2 not so beautiful goals, but goals nonetheless! 2-0!

7. Habs-Kat says:

Lapierre! He’s hot, but what a shot by Higgins!

8. Mattee. says:

That’s what you get when you go to the net! Wait… did lapierre get it?

9. Habs-Kat says:

That was Kovalev’s 40th point of the season.

10. habsfan2442 says:

YES SA

11. Habs-Kat says:

Looove that powerplay.

12. Mattee. says:

YES! Pleksssss

13. Mattee. says:

or…. nothing at all.

14. linp says:

That’s what you have with Smolinski and Brisebois playing. No hit at all.

15. Mattee. says:

Koivu is playing big tonight though. I miss O’byrne too.

16. Habs-Kat says:

Very ferocious game so far. Habs are getting the worst of it though. Maybe having Kostopoulos in the lineup would’ve been a good idea. And I also miss O’Byrne.

17. Shawn S says:

The Koivu line is really beginning to click. Tenderness just needs to finish.

18. Shawn S says:

Great first period so far, dominating them right now(besides the gorges blunder.)

19. Mattee. says:

I’d give up my High Def for Ovechkin… good for Washington though.

20. MikeL says:

2nd pre-game in a row that Pierre McGuire mixed up the Kostitsyn’s.

21. J.T. says:

They’ve beaten them like:
    -a dusty rug
    -a dozen eggs
    -a three-legged dog
    -a hippy’s bongo

I just hope tonight’s not payback night.

The only thing I can celebrate about Ovechkin’s signing is that Don Meehan gets none of it. He must be crying tears of bile.

My favourite quote of the day: On TSN’s OTR today, Lansberg said nothing will change in Toronto because “The black cloud is raining money.” Beautiful

I hope the boys come out fast and pot a couple early. They need the two tonight.

22. Steiner says:

While I completely agree with much of what you said, and especially that Carey Price has a fabulous career ahead of him – I think we were/are potentially looking for that guy who can just score, score and score. The way Ovechkin can. I think this was less about finding a bonafide superstar and more about finding ourselves someone who can produce the way Ovechkin can.

The way I see it, is that the Habs dont need a “franchise player” the way Ovie, Crosby and Lecavalier are. Our franchise *is* the superstar so to speak.

23. Habs-Kat says:

Just wanted to address the Ovechkin/Signing a Superstar issue.

I’ll agree that every team that wins a Stanley Cup needs a real bonafide superstar player that could potentially have a Hall of Fame career. We have one of those, but he’s not going to pay immediate dividends – Carey Price. He’s got what it takes to be one of those in time and even if we traded for a big name player this season, we’d have to give up a lot to get him and we’d once again be in a position where the Stanley Cup seems far off. Its our luck that our superstar is in goal – probably the most important position in the game – and probably the only thing holding down the Ottawa Senators. Name me a single Stanley Cup winning team without excellent goaltending.

We do have a strong core of young players that have the potential to be stars in The Kostitsyns, Higgins, McDonagh, and Komisarek. To me, our Montreal Canadiens have a future like the Detroit Red Wings. We’ve got a handful of excellent young players that can develop into an explosive offensive team, responsible defensively, and best-in-league goaltending. Not to mention Andrei Markov reminds me a lot of Niklas Lidstrom.

I’m not too disappointed that Ovechkin’s not coming to Montreal, because we have a Stanley Cup contendor in the making without him and we’ve got our own potential franchise player in Carey Price.

24. mrstewart61 says:

Update on Ovechkin signing: 13yr/124m!!! We can now concentrate on signing him as an UFA in 2021 when he’s 35.

25. Uwey says:

My thoughts as well.

26. Mattee. says:

“hmmmm, so we’re playing a big, tough and rough team today are we? Let’s see, why don’t we substitute a player who’s been working hard, hitting hard, fighting, killing penalties and playing his best hockey of late for… hmmm Smolinksi. Yep that should do the trick. A little padding for when Chara rams his into the boards, a nice soft player, gentle like a pillow… Also, I want to see what that Corey Locke can bring to the press box, he should slide right in, I gave the kid a fair chance after all, a whole 6 minutes.” – Carbo

Nothing against Dandenault, I like what he’s done, but Kostop should be in, no question. All I have to say is Smolinski better be 100% on the face offs.

27. von says:

Unfortunately I will be missing tonights game to go to a concert! Hopefully the boys play hard again tonight. Playing on the road seems to be their thing so hopefully tonight is no different!

GO HABS GO!!!

28. notbigbird says:

I have a bad feeling about tonight. They’re overdue against us. Maybe I’m wrong. Again.

29. arcosenate says:

warren zevon would say a red headed stepchild so I have to as well. it’s true, forget the ovechkin free agent signing rumours and move on to the ovechkin to montral trade rumours. $9.5 million over ten years.

who cares, we’ve got the bosom brothers andrei and sergei, that will prove a fantastic tandem for years to come.

go habs!

30. showey47 says:

kind of sucks for locke who got a whole 6 mins of ice time against the hawks with less than ideal linemates. Locke should be playing as a winger instead of a center. In last season’s calder cup playoffs locke was second in the league in points which he did as a winger, not a center. Corey obviously has offensive talent, you don’t put up those kind of numbers at every level without it. But he doesn’t have the footspeed that similar players like st.louis or briere have or else he would of made the habs 3 years ago.

He needs to play wing with offensivly gifted linemates and get some powerplay time, playing 6 mins and having wingers like t.k. is a waste of time. Koivu couldn’t do anything with wingers like t.k. and streit, how is locke supposed to?