That’s why they’re the champs

Tough to beat them with 18 shots.

The Canadiens wasted a dominant first period.

1. twocents says:

Guess what? I already saw your reply and have been right back at ya already.

2. Chris says:

Already saw it and replied.  :)

3. Chris says:

Which pick?  There is absolutely no way that the Oilers trade their #1 overall pick for that package.

And the Habs REALLY don’t need Cogliano…the critics would have a field day blasting Gauthier for adding yet another small player to the stable.

4. Chris says:

You will definitely have to sweeten the pot if you want a proven top 6 forward or top 4 D in return.  The more likely result is we trade our headache for somebody else’s, much like we saw with the Latendresse for Pouliot trade.

5. Mark C says:

My point was that some players still need external motivation during the playoffs. I was responding to a poster who felt the playoffs should be a strong enough motivator for all players, history paints a slightly different picture.

Kessel was called out and benched and it work, he needed the extra motivation. It is only a viable option if Sergei pulls back into the line-up. It seems Martin as left him for dead. I am not coming down on Martin, because there may be other factors at play here, and Martin knows a lot more about coaching than I do. It just seems that Sergei offers a marginal upgrade over the other options (namely, Darche). And there is a chance a home run could be hit by playing the brothers together.

6. twocents says:

Hey Chris, I responded again way back in that dead thread. It happens to to be pertinent to this conversation. Check it out.

7. Will Longlade says:

They will be packaged with a goalie w/a ton of upside and sent to the Oil for their pick and Cogs.

8. TripleX says:

The point was that the coach gave Kessel the opportunity to redeem himself.  SK has never been given a decent chance to prove his worth.  When he has played well there is NO reward and when he makes a mistake there is NO chance given for redemption.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

The 2 K boys will be a package deal for one top 6 forward or a top D. We may have to sweeten the pot if we can find a club to take them. But they are done here me thinks.

10. Chris says:

Oh, believe me…I understand fully well what you are trying to convey.

I could show you lots of plays where he did make an effort.  What’s the point?  Most people in here have formed their opinions, one way or another.  I’m not really all that interested in arguing it, to be honest.

I despise Scott Gomez and feel that he has been not having a great playoff, despite his point total.  He’s had a couple of good games, a couple of crap games, and a few that were thoroughly mediocre.

I’ve found that Tomas Plekanec has largely been invisible in Games 1 and 2 of the Pittsburgh series, creating very few chances and losing faceoffs at a prodigious rate.

That is hockey…guys go hot and cold.

Sergei is definitely cold.  But he’s got a coach that detests him breathing down his neck, so I give him the benefit of the doubt a little because that is an awfully deep hole to climb out of:  one mistake and it is time to get chained to the bench again.

It is a double standard that exists in every rink in North America.  Sergei is Martin’s whipping boy, especially now that Latendresse is gone.  A significant portion of the fan base is now piling on a struggling player that clearly has NHL talent, and that usually doesn’t stop until the whipping boy is run out of town.  But instead of patting themselves on the back for a job well done (Yahoo!  I helped run one of our few NHL-calibre forward prospects out of town!), they will just set their sights on the next player.

I’ll but my money down on Benoit Pouliot being the next target in 2010-11, unless AK46 has miraculously not been traded yet.

As Chuck noted, maybe you should change it and lift the hex on poor SK.

12. GrimJim says:

You are really going to get on Sergei for passing/shooting the puck between his legs during what was likely pre or post practice?

I heard a great story once about this third-string US college basketball player. At a shoot-around before one of the team’s practices he was joking around taking shoots from halfcourt and the asistant coach yelled at him saying he should be taking shoots from where he normally plays in a game. So the kid looks at the coach, walks over to the bench, sits down and starts shooting baskets from there.

Maybe SK should take a stick and puck to the press box :-)

13. GrimJim says:

Wait a minute, you point to Kessel as an example of benching a player to motivate him and yet you’re saying this isn’t a viable option for motivating SK? Kessel is a more skilled player than SK, why is it okay to bench Kessel but not SK?

14. CBrady12 says:

Im not saying thats the only reason hes out. Its one example of many plays where he produces no effort plain and simple. Its an EXAMPLE used to make a point my god Im not stupid enough to think that its the ONLY reason hes not playing. why do you not understand this?

15. CBrady12 says:

was one pass made to the point??   uhhh the point man he should be covering pinched in and kept the puck in the habs zone and sergei just let him skate right by….buddy guys who know ALOT more about hockey than you made that his last shift so no matter how much blabbering you do about coverage, ur still wrong

16. Mark C says:

The margin of error is ever so slim in the playoffs, but that is one reason to add him to the line-up. Play the brothers together with Metro, give them a few selected shifts early (o-zone or neutral zone face-offs, when Pitt has one of their bottom two lines out) and see if they get on the same page. If not, bench them, like what happened to the 4th line on Sunday. There is a lot of upside in doing this, with only minimal downside.

17. B says:

Habs have 4, Pouliot, Lapierre, Bergeron and Darche
    Pens have 4, Dupuis, Letang, Talbot and Fleury

18. Chris says:

Unfortunately, Martin does not have a high trust level for young players at the best of times.

His trust level for Sergei Kostitsyn is non-existent.  Don’t see this one getting resolved, especially with Sergei being an RFA this summer.  I would be shocked if his agent did not beg the Habs to trade his client.

19. CBrady12 says:

you still arent getting it.

How does a rookie learn to overcome his mistakes and make up for them if they get benched after they make the one?

First of all, hes not a rookie. Second, he would get a chance if he was trying. Standing still on the ice while you get skate circles around is not trying.

The key is effort. Again, effort. The kid shows no effort on the ice most of the time.

Ill give you an analogy cause you dont seem to understand.

If you are a new guy at work and ur job is to monitor a server to make sure it doesnt go down. Then one day it goes down, but instead of monitoring it, you were on HIO. Well, ur boss wouldnt be too happy even though ur new because you werent putting any effort into your job. So even though ur new and made a mistake, ur gonna get in trouble because you werent trying to do your job

20. Chris says:

What’s more, I could show a video compilation of a shift or two for every Habs player where they quite simply looked lost on the ice.  One need only look threw the video footage of Games 2-4 in the Washington series…NOBODY was moving in the defensive zone.

This is a mountain being made out of a mole hill.  Goals in the NHL often result from broken coverage, tired defenders and mistakes.  You can try to minimize the mistakes, but they happen.  Could Sergei have looked more active while doing his job of guarding the point?  Sure.

Should he have been exiled for that play?  No.

21. Hayward4Price says:

You’d be more accurate by saying SK was having a cup of tea vs. covering the point-man to a T.

22. FormalWare says:

No; for the Habs–and their fans–it is definitely “sweat”. They have one victory in their last 7 home playoff games!

Still–can’t wait to sweat this one out! Go, Habs, Go!

23. CBrady12 says:

good point

24. Go Habs Go Theme Song Guy says:
  25. VancouverHab says:

Agreed: some people here talk like JM is really an idiot (not just ‘a guy who knows a billion more than amateur-fan knows but is doing things I don’t understand or like so I’ll say a bad thing about him.”)

JM is not being “petulant” or “childish” in benching SK. SK is a flake, and repeatedly makes massive errors at the NHL level and (we can reasonably assume) has not shown off ice a desire to intensify his mental committment.

JM want to win more than we want his Habs to win. If he thought SK would help, SK would be playing.

I’m a minor nobody youth coach: but even I’ve had players who had high skill but absolute lack of desire during competitive games, and I’d be happier if they would just not play at all (youth teams the kids all play…)

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Penguins have depth to play with right now and Alexei Ponikarovsky is looking like a total bust for the Penguins and has been about as useful for the Pens in their playoffs as SK has for our side so it’s entirely possible.

Veterans may have earned the right to make mistakes, but how does a rookie learn to overcome his mistakes and make up for them if they get benched after they make the one? It destroys confidence knowing that a singular mistake will end their game because they will make mistakes as they are human and will err at times. IF anything, the veterans shouldn’t be allowed to get away with mistakes since they’ve done something 10,000 times and should know not to make a ‘rookie mistake’ as it were.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Can’t win without good communication.

Maybe so spats.

Metro is the smallest power forward in the league, love him.

30. Hayward4Price says:

I’m all for second and third chances for that matter.  The problem is that there is very little margin of error in the playoffs…especially for a team like the habs.  Everyone has got to be on the same page and bringing everything they’ve got each time on the ice.  Having one K bro in the lineup at one time is about all the team can handle unless they are both showing signes of life.  Until then you put int he less talented harder working guys to keep the flow and momentum going.

Yes, we need great goaltending, but the team is playing together and for each other. This is still a TEAM sport and the coach is a part of a team my friend.

32. CBrady12 says:

Dude, ur missing the point. The reason a vet can make a mistake is because they are vets. They have earned the right to make mistakes and continue playing. This comes from a combination of skill and effort. Every veteran on any NHL team have worked his ass off to get where they are. Every young NHL player needs to work hard every game and practice to EARN the right to play and to make mistakes. Unfortunately Sergei has all the skills to be a great player but is unable to give any consistent effort like he did his first season. Remember those days? He was a pain in the ass, he played hard, skated fast and made things happen. Again, unfortunately, he started to think he was a vet after half a season and since then he hasnt been the same. I am not trying to run him out of town, if he played the same way he did when he first came into the league every game…I would love him. I am just fed up of having players on this team, especially young ones, who dont try their best.

Ill ask you this, if Sergei played for the Penguins, do you think he would be playing tonight? I dont

33. Hayward4Price says:

It’s not a matter of being run out of town…besides in the shape he’s in I’d be surprised if he can run to the corner without getting gassed.  All anyone wants is some semblance of effort.  What’s most frustrating is he was lights out in the Olympics.  I guess that was his 2 weeks of effort for the year?

34. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

JM putting SK on the point during a powerplay? hahahaha! imagine JM even putting SK into the line-up AND also playing him

it’s so funny that it’s sad. damn that kid has skills… i wish he and JM would bury the hatchet. they both have to get over themselves.

35. jbroderi says:

i respect your consistency

like i mentioned above, sk or darche isn’t winning us the series either way, so we should be concerned with our top 3 lines keeping up the good work.

go habs

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

36. Mark C says:

It should never have to come to that, but it wouldn’t be the first time. The B’s had to do it with Kessel in ’08, benching him for 3 games during the series and it work as he scored 3 goals in 4 games, with 2 big goals in game 6 to force a game 7. It wouldn’t sacrifice the rest of the team. Just have Muller pull him aside and level with him, let him how he’s getting another chance and to up the effort (and improve d-zone coverage).

37. TripleX says:

Ian, great goaltending can make any coach look like a genius.  The garbage pile is heaped high with coaches who looked like Scotty Bowman one season then are fired when a hot goalie suddenly turns cold.

38. TripleX says:

Do Ron McLean and Cherry dare show their faces at the Bell or do they hide in the safety of beloved Toronto?

I think they despise Montreal too much to ever set foot in the Bell.

39. CBrady12 says:

My god, obviously Im not saying that is the only piece of evidence. I think I’ve posted enough evidence already. thanks for calling me delusional though, sheesh and you call ME delusional

40. andrewberkshire says:

Brian Gionta was directly at fault for FOUR goals in game 1 against Pittsburgh. Should we bench him? No. How about the coach decides to COACH Sergei and tell him that’s unacceptable, and we use our best players instead of Ben Maxwell and Darche.

41. Chris says:

You know how I love tee-ball, Steve.  😉

42. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll stand up for guys who are trying to be run out of town over mistakes that people have been making all year long but they haven’t gotten benched for. O’Byrne having to wait until Game 4 of the playoffs to get his start while Markov had to do the magician’s act of making MAB look like a 1st-pair defender was another decision that brings about the same result. A veteran can make a mistake and face no consequences, a young player is on a 1, 2 strike policy for the season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Xtrahabsfan says:

Martin and Gill are allway’s talking to themselves,it’s real trippy if you focus on it…And it seems too be a good thing …I’m doing it right now ,lol

44. Hayward4Price says:

worry about SK’s ego and try to get him motivated in the playoffs (when motivation should not be an issue) and sacrifice the rest of the team.  I like it!

My gut tells me that Metro will have a stellar game tonight (if he gets the ice time).

46. Hayward4Price says:

Don’t think the pic reference is too far fetched…I think you have to read between the lines as to why HIO posted that pic of all the other possible pix.  Delusional would be trying to defend SK’s play in the clip that started this string of comments.

47. SPATS says:

Greetings Ian, with the last line change, he’ll use the 4th line more often at home. Expect 3 lines on the road.

cheers

48. Mark C says:

You are right effort and action is all that matters, no matter if it is wrong or misguided, at least they were trying. That being said, wouldn’t you agree that his lack of effort is easily fixable? Given the current situation and options available (Darche and Maxwell are not good options), couldn’t any coach worth his salt extract just a little more effort out of him?

49. likehoy says:

blown out of proportions, sergei had the point-man covered to a T.

was one pass made to that pointman? no.

who do wingers cover in d-zone coverage? the point.

i think he’s blamed for backstrom coming off the bench, but it’s not his duty to pick him up.

that was a play from a player with no confidence playing in a shell.

if you want to know who blew coverage? look at where mike cammalleri is standing the whole time….STANDING. not moving, and that allows backstrom to come in with speed to create the first chance that went off the boards that led to the goal.

it was a mis-coverage because cammy is the winger, he should be up with carlson, while metro is the centreman who should be in the thick of it all, and metro was off the point, which let carlson take the shot, where metro tried desperately to block. that alone caused the goal because cammy doesn’t play centre and metro doesn’t play wing.

the only fault for sergei was off the rebound when he should have peeled off the pointman to cover ovechkin streaking in as the whole team was collapsing, but goal scorers know when to attack the net and shake coverage, and ovechkin did just that. also the knuble pinch in was an issue, but sergei couldn’t have seen knuble come in and it can also be attributed to fatigue (as seriousfan09 said).

– What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

50. Batalla says:

Well, here’s hoping our smurfs can kick Crosby et al in the sh*t tonight.  And if not them, then at least Don Cherry.  Seriously, dude:  RETIRE…

Chris – That was a bit of a lob pitch for you or krob:-)

The problem with putting someone in the dog house on a long term basis is that you just might need him  to come out some day.  Can Martin swallow his pride?

Who let the dogs out….

52. Hayward4Price says:

Whether he has or hasn’t, I’m sure he’d be more competitive than SK was in that clip…

I have to admit that the way Jacques Martin
    coached this year has been very troubling for me at times and I have
    complained on here about him not being the coach that could take us to
    the next level. I don’t understand his pairings or his utilisation of
    his bench. But then again, I am not a coach, and I certainly don’t know
    what is in his mind.

But results matter and I have watched him
    as he has tinkered with the line up from game to game. He has made
    moves that have turned a game or two in our favour, using or not using
    players in different situations.

He must be doing something
    right, winning Stanley cup playoff games don’t just happen. Yes!, I am
    looking at our coach in a different light these days.

For the
    life of me I don’t know how he thinks he is going all the way with only
    9 forwards. But you know, just maybe that’s all the forwards that he
    has with the ability to play his style of game in the NHL playoffs.

Yes I have been wrong many times before, and I was very wrong with my initial assessment of our coach.

We
    sure don’t have all the pieces that he needs in place yet, but he is
    doing a great job with what he has to work with this year.

54. Chris says:

“Why does this team not have any offensive forwards who can man the point?”

They actually do…goes by the name of Sergei Kostitsyn.  He was very, very effective as the setup point-man for the London Knights in the OHL.  Excellent passer, good vision, defensively responsible…he was the real deal for the Knights.

The problem with using Sergei on the PP in Montreal over his short career has been that they’ve been trying to use him as the shooter with Markov, a role for which he isn’t really that well suited as his shot is more sneaky than booming.  Pairing Sergei with Subban on the points might be worth a shot, if Jacques Martin could stomach the idea of seeing Sergei on his line-up sheet.  :)

55. Mark C says:

Should he be sacrificing chickens in the locker room to show he cares? How is he to prove to the coach’s his d-zone coverage is better during practice, by protecting the water bottles?

56. jbroderi says:

The only one shaken after the series was ovechkin and his big stupid looking face!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

57. TripleX says:

Just a guess?  You have never played competitive sports?

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Darche’s TOI in his 4 playoff games:

10:21, 7:46, 2:21, :54.

So basically, P.K. Subban played more in Game 2 against Pittsburgh than Darche has across 4 games.

Darche is benched because JM knows that Dan Blysma is salivating over the idea of getting Crosby out there against players he so completely outclasses them it might as well be the Canadiens playing the Montreal Juniors. He is not an NHL Player, he was an injury fill-in that wouldn’t be on the roster of any of the other active NHL teams left in the playoffs and his being on the roster has more to do with JM being required to name 18 skaters to play in each of his games than anything else, if Markov wasn’t injured, he’d be scratched so MAB could be a 7th Defencemen. If Spacek was uninjured, same thing.

And my god, did you honestly reference a singular picture of Sergei from practice yesterday as evidence of why he’s not in the lineup? Wow I’ve seen some delusional posts around here but that’s a new one.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. CBrady12 says:

Oh yeah I HATED him….Maybe not during that year he had like 83 points but other than that yeah i couldnt stand him

Markov’s long term injury might just end the notion that we will buy out Hamrlik this summer to free up cap space.

I wonder what Spacek’s status is in terms of returning to the line-up?  Will he move to the left side now that Subban is here?  Do we still dress MAB and go with 3 1/2 lines?  What about the PP and a presence from the point?  Why does this team not have any offensive forwards who can man the point?

Martin sure does have a lot on his plate.

61. CBrady12 says:

first thing he should have done is ATTEMPT to squeeze off that DMAN who steps up and keeps the puck in our zone…but he just watches him skate by…Somehow the other forwards are moving around and TRYING to get possession. The point Im making about this play isnt the mistakes its the lack of effort. You can dump on Hammer and Metro all you want but at least they are making an effort, there is no excuse for sergei not trying

62. jbroderi says:

Jeez, you must have hated Kovie.  For God’s sake, you can put me on the ice and I would give effort, but it doesn’t mean i should play.  that is the case between darche and Sergie.  Sergie will bring it if he gets a chance, but when you are in the doghouse, everyone gets more tentative.

But lets be honest!! Darche or Sergie K is not winning the series for us.  Lets move on to bigger topics.

Is Price starting??  haha just kidding

I’m in the mood for boneless skinnless Penguin Breast!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

63. CBrady12 says:

well first of all lets be fair, the only reason that line was benched was because of Sergei big brother missed coverage AGAIN and led to the Cooke goal, I don’t think 1 minute of ice time can accurately gauge if he is really befuddled by the level of play. BUT I will say one thing if JM is still keeping him out of the lineup even though Darche isn’t as good, its for a reason. There are so many things that go on that we dont see. For example, look at the pic on HIO where sergei is passing or shooting between his legs. I mean for a guy that never plays maybe he should be focusing on working his ASS off and proving to the coach that A) he wants to play more than anything and B) he wont make the same mistakes agains. For fringe players, the coaches like to look at how the practice and I would bet a lot that Sergei doesn’t practice that hard and sure as hell isnt trying his best to force the coaches to play him.

64. Mark C says:

I understand that play looks really bad, but his positional responsibility is for above the face-off circles on his side.  He had a few opportunities to jump in to the play, but there was always another Hab in position, albeit a step late in coverage. Metro and Hammer also look bad on this play.

What should he have done? Rotated down in front of the goal to outnumber the Capitals players, while leaving the points uncovered? Maybe. While he did not cover himself in glory during this series of play, the whole 5 man unit is to blame for the breakdown and not just one player.

65. habsman-itoba says:

Shouldn’t he have had fresh legs then?

66. SeriousFan09 says:

So better to have Darche who just looks befuddled by NHL Playoff action?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. TripleX says:

Exactly, I expect professionalism and at least the attempt at some objectivity from any journalist.  I do not want cheer leading and unrealistic fan driven commentary.

68. habsman-itoba says:

In order to make a mistake, you need to try to do something.  He didn’t.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Doesn’t mean he’s always right and doesn’t embellish either, not everyone is always right and well-respected doesn’t always mean they can’t be wrong. For example, Boone thinks the world of Pierre Mcguire, I still think he’s a self-important jackass who has a ridiculous man-crush on every NHL player under 25 or over 6’4″ and has proven wrong multiple times.

JM doesn’t use Sergei because he doesn’t like him, believe it or not, coaches will enact vendettas against players they don’t get along with, such as oh… Mario Tremblay leaving Patrick Roy to get shelled in that ’95 game with Detroit. Michael Ryder was a regular press box guy because he and Carbonneau clashed, a 30-goal scorer in the press box.

Neither will give anything on the 4th line besides taking up space on the bench because JM knows Darche can’t do anything but he has to put someone on his full roster list to give the NHL before a game. I think Sergei’s NHL-calibre skills give him the opportunity to do more in a game that Darche’s AHL skills will, yes.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. MikeMcLaren says:

Chorske, you need to make a new avatar:

THIS is our system

should be the caption with a representation of the shots on goal totals pictured :)

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

71. kempie says:

Ya really think that’s what’s going on here? I thought that too but then I thought can this guy really be that dumb to try for that at a time like this? I mean how can a kid who is able to kill penalties and who’s usually not a big defensive risk pull that?

72. CBrady12 says:

LOLLLLLLLLL please stop making excuses, you sound like Price. He was STANDING STILL for 30 seconds…how do you not see that? have you ever played hockey before?? If you have and you saw one of your teammates standing still while you get swarmed you wouldnt want him on the ice either….btw this isnt the regular season, its the playoffs where you have to BATTLE for every play and that my friend was an example of the opposite of what it takes to win in the playoffs.

73. Chris1138 says:

Shakes… like a shaking hand? lol

Chris

74. HabFanSince72 says:

It was the second timne he made the same exact lazy play. He also did the same thing on the all-important 4-2 goal in game 2 (Backstrom’s goal at the end of the 2nd).

75. jbroderi says:

you’re right!  maybe sergie won’t be a difference maker, but at least there is some potential that if he got a break away or a two on one that he could cash in. Both K brothers are very streaky, and although they are both cold as ice now, if either one got a goal somehow, they would turn into different players.  If you are going to use someone less than 5 minutes, it maight as well be a potential game breaker!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB