You too, Andrei Kostitsyn

And the birthday boy, Scott Gomez.

A HUGE win.

1. CHasman says:

I just think JM is sitting two of our more skilled players, certainly players I like to watch.  Now what, we win tonight and they stay in the press box?  I guess if you want to play on this team for Jacques Martin then go out there and skate your ass off and whether you accomplish anything or not you’re good to go.  Would have been nice to see both Weber and Subban playing.  Despite my opinion on the coaching I’m still hoping for the big win tonight.  I don’t want to go through Christmas with another loss hanging over us.

2. Robert L says:

The problem is not JM. He just wants his player to perform. If it becomes an authority problem, that’s the player’s fault. Mickelson, I don’t know if that fits, he didn’t play a team sport

3. Chris says:

I watched Subban a fair number of times in the OHL and this was always my complaint:  he relies far too heavily on his speed (which is not the same advantage that it was in the OHL as NHL players are all significantly faster than junior players) to make up for his poor positioning and questionable judgement.

People don’t realize it, but Subban remains a diamond in the rough…he has a lot of potential, but he needs to be coached a lot.  Everyone likes to point to Doughty in Los Angeles…it is not a fair comparison, as Doughty was a much more defensively responsible player all through junior than Subban was.  There really is no comparison on that side of the puck.

Subban will be good, but he needs to learn to pick his spots and to play within the team’s framework.  Any time a player goes “rogue” on the gameplan, you are in for some trouble.  You can get away with it sometimes when you produce at an elite level and/or have earned that leeway as a veteran.  Subban has neither of those “Get out of jail free!” cards yet.

4. Yeats says:

Yep, and Paul Maurice is no Shemp.

5. showey47 says:

Very true. This game is huge since i feel only carolina has a reasonable chance at knocking out a team already in the top 8.

6. JIMVINNY says:

Darche gets mugged, no call.  Thanks, Chris Lee.

7. Yeats says:

Tortorella picks anyone but Jokinen in the final game last year and we’re in the finals against the Hawks!

8. Yeats says:

He’s a hell of a long way from his Conn.

9. Yeats says:

The key is to stay ahead of the Bruins. Fail to do that and they are on the bubble.

10. Yeats says:

“The greater the odds, the greater the glory!” George Armstrong Custer

11. Robert L says:

If you think everything you’ve done is right, it probably is. Sometimes it just takes a couple of logouts to pop back up. I once had the same thing happen. It took a day.

12. SPATS says:

Don’t forget JM’s ego too. Old school, out of touch with today’s youth. They are each others nemesis.

PK reminds me of Phil Mickelson early in his career. Explosive, charismatic, and a fan favorite because of his gambling style. Fans like PK for the same reasons, but hockey is a team sport. No “I” in team but there is and “m” and and “e”

As we all know, Phil eventually turned it around and enjoyed success by playing percentages. PK will eventually do the same, but I doubt he and JM will work it out before one of them is gone.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

13. Born in a Bad Year says:

Barring big time injuries, we don’t really need to be worrying what our third slotted goalie is doing, unlike the Lightning who really need someone who can stop a puck.

14. Yeats says:

“Habs better get their shit together tonight!”  Jacob Marley

15. showey47 says:

Not crazy about the lineup. Would have liked to see pyatt and picard sitting. But if gorges does really have a bad knee(which would explain his not so great performance against the stars). Then why is he playing? Give his spot to subban so gorges can get healthy. Thats why you carry 7 dmen on a road trip.

16. Jbird says:

Can Larry Smith please become the laughing stock he should be.  That video should help.

I predict the Habs go into X Mas in third.

17. keepthefaith says:

Who cares where a 26 year old who was never gonna start for our team is playing?

So we slipped a little as we progress to the cup, so what!. It just makes winning that much sweeter.

We
    are a better than last year at this time by far, and yes we have a lot
    of work to do before we get there. Just a couple of pieces to put
    together before we get to the next level. But they are keeping me
    interested and entertained this year, unlike years before Gainey &
    Gauthier.

Lets just see if they can get it together enough tonight.

Things
    to work on.  face offs, tape to tape passing, (penalty) discipline in
    the offensive end, and our power play, puck control. And skate like
    hell. !!

19. C3P1 says:

former hab farmhand cedrick desjardins makes his NHL debut tonight in New York. and karri rammo is…where? KHL?

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

20. Josh says:

The Habs will remain in 3rd place tonight no matter what happens tonight as the Habs will still have more wins.

21. Harani says:

Really don’t feel it for tonight…hopefully it turns out to be a good game!

“It must be love!”

22. the Maritimer says:

An old saying: water seeks it’s own level.

23. JVF says:

Agreed. With the way we’re playing, that ain’t so bad!

24. MICP says:

Were an 8th seed team, so whats wrong with being there?

25. Born in a Bad Year says:

Lou Lamoriello sitting in his office…

“Who we playing next?”

“Islanders, fire everybody! I’m going in!”

26. Robert L says:

Which might be exactly why he is being paired with Picard, so that what he does wrong is exposed, as much as posible to himself, in a third D-pairing that plays less against the top 2 opposing lines.

Everyone agrees that Subban is a marvelous player package, but without the head to go with it, he’s costing the Habs more goals than he’s creating. Folks think Martin is ruining him, but they might be saving him from ruin.

Ian’s from Belleville, and has seen P.K. play longer than any of us. I think he’d agree that P.K. wants to be the difference maker a little too often for his own good.

On the hockey club, there are also vets trying to settle P.K. down, as per this Francois Gagnon article. Everyone wants him to play smarter hockey.

There are also ego concerns.  I’ll relate an old story from the 1990′s to explain a little bit how the vets feel now.

It was the 1998-99 season, and enforcer Dave Morisette had been called up. He appeared in a couple of games when the Canadiens had a public practice for fans. Because Morisette had pounded some skull skillfully well, he quickly became a fan favorite. Popular, he got the loudest cheers, his name was called out by fans, and after games the media rushed for his quotes. This didn’t stop when Morisette continued to drop the gloves at badly chosen times, costing his team some games. Looking on in disgust was Mark Recchi, then the leading scorer of the team, who was totally irked by the scene. Veterans and established stars get a bit peeved when a player gets underseved spotlight time, disproportionate to their real contribution to the team.

Players on the Canadiens feel this is what is going on with Subban at the moment…..as per the Gagnon article.

27. Castor says:

Maybe this slump is a good thing. I think, and it’s just a theory, that the Habs got a little full of themselves with the way they started the season. It seemed like they dropped the intensity when playing the ‘weaker’ teams. As if the weaker teams didn’t deserve a full effort. And it has caught up with the Habs.

Maybe the slump will teach them that Elite teams NEVER phone it in. Ever.

Or not.

28. JVF says:

You’re (H)absolutely right, it should be said before the game — Happy Holidays everyone!

29. keepthefaith says:

And i also agree with most of your points, however a D man is only made better or worse by his partner. And having a partner that is not there to bail you out when you are an offensive minded defenseman cant help. All i am saying is Picard is getting a free pass in all of this. I just cant help to think that Subban would be a better player when paired with another defenseman that we have.

30. JasonM says:

It’s the holiday season.. thus I shall refrain in what I really feel about these absurd changes JM has been doing as of late.

I’ll not be in to watch the game tonight (Carolina AND Chris Lee… I smell boring screwjob) and have plans.

I do however wish all of you to have a great holiday and to be careful out on the road!

31. likehoy says:

on the contrary to what you think, I believe the Habs handle their youth well, the youth don’t handle the habs well.

as you mentioned, all these young players blossom or do well in other situations, but who developed them and taught them everything they knew up until that point? the habs did.

If the players don’t want to apply it while playing for the habs, it’s their perogative

I think getting traded wakes the player up thinking “wow this organization pampered me, I took things for granted and now if I don’t smarten up, I’ll be playing in europe”

- Gomez is holding down the suck button

Great points Robert, and I am a huge PK fan. But you are correct my friend.!

33. Robert L says:

I think you’re going down the wrong track laying Subban’s lapses in responsibility on Picard. A player first task is to take care of his own duties. Picard isn’t great, but he doesn’t overeach. Subban does what he chooses regardless of where everyone else is positioned. You’re right that a vet would be of help to P.K., but he’s been there and played irresponsibly as well.

Going all the way back to his draft year in Belleville, the knock on Subban has always been that he does not know when to pick his spots. He tries too hard to make opportunities happen, rather than wait for them. Now that he’s in a league with the big boys, his faults are being picked apart by savvy players who know he can’t help himself. Like Boone says, often P.K. is exciting for all the wrong reasons.

34. JVF says:

It’s just my two cents worth, but I must say I’m getting a little tired of the way the Habs handle their young players. Sitting Subban Weber, Pouliot, plus Pacioretty & Kostytsin last year, isn’t helping them. I don’t care if this is the way you did things in the NHL 25 years ago, it shouldn’t be that way now.

Do we raise kids today the same way we did a generation ago?

The kids nowadays come into the league and they feel entitled. They’re brash, skillful, already earning more than their parents ever dreamed of (in most cases, anyway) and they believe they’re better than anything or anyone who’s ever come before them.

That’s just the way they are.

Our society makes ‘em like that. It gives PK Subban, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paarjavie 800,000 $ to play hockey, pumps millions more into Hannah Montana & Justin Bieber’s bank accounts, consecrates anorexic twins who happen to have a TV show, anoints 13 year-old actors and actresses, turns them into royalty and makes them into stars they’re not. Yet.

Good? Bad? Who knows?

Certainly not the healthiest of notions, perhaps, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles in today’s recipe for success. In French, we say that our society presently suffers from “jeunisme” — The cult of youth.

That the way it is right now, in the early part of the twenty-first century. Period.

But not in the Habs’ organization.

Noooo.

In the Habs’ organization, we’re still in the 1950′s.

While the Bruins & the Oilers let the Tylers (Séguin & Hall) have a regular turn on the ice to shine, while the Sharks rely on the shifty Logan Couture and the Sabres on the rangy Tyler Myers (granted, mostly last year) while the Blues have sturdy David Perron and the Flyers, lightning Giroux & steady Boborovsky, while the Hurricanes let Jeff Skinner skate away and the Ducks enjoy the progress of Cam Fowler, while the Thrashers witness the emergence of Evander Kane and the Bruins ride Brad Marchand’s spunk, we in Montreal prefer to sit our players.

To teach them a little humility.

For you see, in Montréal, we like our young ones to be quiet and well-behaved before they’re allowed to shine.

If they can then remember how to afterwards, that is.

It must be that Roman-Catholic thing in French-Canadian society that influences the club, I don’t know…

As far back as I can remember, though, it’s always been like that — Lemaire, Cournoyer, Houle and Tardif had to pay their dues. Guy Lafleur’s first year was “horrible.” So was Larry Robinson’s. Steve Shutt barely played. John Leclair was shafted. Ron Hainsey never got to play. Neither did Stéphane Robidas and François Beauchemin. Sergei Kostytsin was labeled a troublemaker (does Barry Trotz look like a guy you can make fun of? Yet, he’s handling little Sergei…) Grabowski was an ***hole. Latendresse was lazy. Desharnais’ too small.

And on and on and on…

And it’s never the Habs’ fault, always the players.

Never does this organization consider it could maybe use a little psychology with its players… a little positivism, a little guidance, a whole lotta love…

Their point is always brought across with the use of force — Hell, if I had parents or an organization that behaved like that, I’d want to split too.

Like JC Tremblay did. Or Marc Tardif. Or Mike Komisarek. Or Grabowski. Or SK74. Or Latendresse.

And I’m not sure I’d want to play here at all, like Lecavalier, Saint-Louis, Brière, Luongo, Lemieux et al.

All Quebecers who grew up idolizing the Habs but ultimately, never wanted to play here…

Question: Do you think even Bobby Orr or Gretzky or Lemieux or Denis Savard would have played here in their rookie years half as much, if at all, as they did with their respective clubs?

A good stint in Sherbrooke, or Nova Scotia, or Hamilton, or wherever our god-forsaken AHL club was at the time they started out their careers would have probably nipped their creativity in the bud and made ‘em wish they’d been drafted by any other organization.

But true that, it would have certainly made them all into fine, defensive players and upstanding young men who toe the Molson line…

(Sigh)

End of rant.

Sorry if I rambled on for so long, but sometimes… côlis!

35. Robert L says:

I don’t think I’m giving the coach the benefit of the doubt at all, I’m just saying that often there’s more to it than meets the eye. One side can’t be absloved over the other based simply on what we see. As far as that goes, to tag on your analogy, looks like P.K. isn’t a good student, because his mistake are obvious and repetitive. That said, the coach has to find a better way to reach the player, because the sit out failed.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Chris Lee and it’s Carolina…

Talk about finding **** in your stocking.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. Shiloh says:

I agree with bringing back AK46 and especially agree with getting Weber some play. Benny has been struggling, but so has Travis Moen. I think Picard is due for a game off as opposed to PK.

MArtin has always been a defensive coach, and it seems clear that he would prefer a team full of Chris Neil’s and Travis Moen’s. It’s not always fun to watch – and he hasn’t been hugely successful in the post-season. One thing I’m thankful for is that Lemaire went back to Jersey – at least we won’t get him as a coach if Martin doesn’t survive the season.

38. keepthefaith says:

Even if they do win tonight you cannot say it is because Subban did not play. He need to paired with a veteran D man. Not one that cant cover for his rookie mistakes.

39. petrov14 says:

Hahaha nice, made me laugh.

40. petrov14 says:

Chris Lee? *Faceplam*

41. Robert L says:

Picard was never mentioned, but since it was brought up, Subban has needed no help making his own bonehead plays. The onus is on Subban to learn and know when to keep things simple. Without him in the lineup tonight, habs will win.

42. keepthefaith says:

How can you say he had been worse than Picard? I totally agree with the poster above. He is in a position to fail. Picard is a joke and the pairing was dumb since day one. This falls on the coach.

43. Habnofear says:

Aren’t we all asking a lot of Subban? (Replace Markov)… He is an offensive minded young play maker with some size who wants too play,so let him do his thang and play forward for awhile (Byfliegen)spelling?And at the same time he can back check and help out the D.

44. Greg says:

I’m sure they’ve had discussions too. As you would expect with a rookie. He already scratched him, and he came back playing nervous, jittery hockey, something he’s never been known for.  I agree that we all have, as you say, an “incomplete analysis”, but you’re doing the same thing I am, just giving the coach the benefit of the doubt, whereas I give it to PK.

JM is a good boss, and is great with players who can do what he says. I just don’t think he’s a very good coach, which requires teaching ability. A good analogy would be the difference between high school teachers and university professors.  Professors are experts, can’t teach to save their lives.  JM is a professor, and a good coach needs to be half professor, half high school teacher.

Let the kid make the mistakes that kids make, but guide him along the way. What I disagree with is the “fall in line now or you’re out” mentality.  PK’s a good kid, I’m sure he’s trying. I’m sure he WANTS to win and do what his coach says, he’s just a work in progress.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

45. ctony says:

If JM wanted PK to succeed/develop he would have paired him with someone who could have covered for his gonna-happen defensive shortcomings when Markov went down.  Instead, PK gets a journeyman partner (sorry Picard, but them’s the facts).

In a way, you could almost say JM was looking for PK to fail so he would have a reason to bench him.

Hmmmm,..

46. Greg says:

Agreed. Not sure what the idea is with sitting Subban. I read Francois Gagnon`s article, and I still don`t agree. You don`t teach someone how to play within a system by sitting them. He comes off the ice, and Perry Pearn should go to him and say “PK, don’t do that, do this”.  THAT’S how you TEACH.

-Gordie Howe

47. ctony says:

There’s a great line from Bull Durham, when the older sage catcher
    played by Costner is explaining life to upcoming pitcher played by Tim Robbins,
    “Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You’ll never make it to the bigs
    with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you’ll be classy. If you win 20
    in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press’ll think you’re
    colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.”

JM player management is like fungus on shoes.  If he wins in the show, they’ll think him
    enigmatic genius.  Until he does, he
    seems to be a classless turd.

Seriously, this isn’t about motivation, it’s about
    management.  Anyone who has managed
    anything from a McDonalds to a Fortune 500 company can tell you that they have
    favorites – for any number of logical, emotional, or irrational reasons – and
    go to war with their chosen peeps.

I’m not a fan of JM’s parochial style.  But, I respect the fact, that he needs to play his style with his preferred
    players.  Guys like AK, PK, Pouliot and
    previously guys like OB, SK; and others (we all know who they are) don’t fit -
    for him.  Sure, occasionally, there are
    injuries and out of favour guys move up the rankings (PK in the playoffs last
    year) or go on a tear and maintain their spot (Pouliot when he arrived from
    Minnesota via Hamilton) despite JM’s secret preferences. By and large, JM can
    find excuses to bench them.  It’s his prerogative.

Ultimately, PG or his successors will judge JM on his record
    in Montreal.  If he wins a lot or has
    continued playoffs successes – his strange line combinations and seemingly
    (frustratingly – to some) inconsistent player management techniques will be
    overlooked.  On the other hand, if he
    doesn’t win then he will be fired based on his record and people can lay the
    blame on his odd “motivational” style.

48. Robert L says:

The Subban situation is often analyzed with an incomplete perspective because fans and media aren’t privy to conversations between the player and coach. I’m sure Martin has had discussions with P.K. concerning a wide variety of matters, and the benchings are a response to Subban not giving the coach what he wants.

Despite Subban making some highlight reel plays, overall he’s been brutal in his last 20 games. He pays no attention to the subtle details of the game, yet he his surrounded by veterans offering advice. It will be the last time he’s sent to the press box. Next time it will be Hamilton. My guess is that it will happen soon as the roster freeze is over.

49. Exit716 says:

“I don’t know anything. I never did know anything, but now I know, that I don’t know…all on a Christmas Morning…”

Alastair Sim as Scrooge..

50. Greg says:

I think Jacques Martin is a brilliant hockey mind. I think he has done a great job of instituting a system in this team, and they’re a better team because of it. However, I also don’t think he’s done a great job with PK. The scouting report on this kid was clear. He’s an offensively minded player. Also, more importantly, he’s a rookie. These two things combined will lead to defensive mistakes, something that JM has shown he has no patience for. Unfortunately, patience is a virtue when dealing with young players. JM has repeatedly shown that he will not tolerate certain kinds of mistakes. I’m ok with sitting players if they aren’t skating, or not showing emotion on the ice. But scratching a guy like PK because of rookie mistakes is counterproductive to his development. What is the message to the player? “Do that again and you’ll be in the press box”? That seems to send the message that the coach has no confidence in that player.  Rookies make mistakes. It happens all over the league. The Habs brass took their time with PK, wisely seasoning him in the AHL before making the jump to The Show, but now that he’s here, he needs to play. He’s not learning anything from the press box.

Eller makes mistakes, and yet he plays (took him a while too). JM seems to want robots to play the style he wants. Fine. Teach PK the system while playing him, instead of having him sit in the press box promising himself that he’ll never, ever give the puck away again. Until the next time he does.

-Gordie Howe

51. Bill says:

No, it will be Pacioretty and Weber. obv. It alternates. Then it will be AK46 or Pouliot and Subban after that. Keep up with JM’s system man!

52. JVF says:

So, does Hamrlik sit for the next game?

53. showey47 says:

If we were 3-0 on the road trip i would say yes,but being 1-2 we need to salavage this road trip. I would give auld either the bolts or the cats.

54. savethepuck says:

Against Florida New Years Eve or I’d be surprised

55. Robert L says:

4-0, for a reason!

56. tony d says:

Yeah Carolina was all over us at the end and we resorted to our flialing style.

But I’m glad for the win. Carey came up big when Spatch and Hammer had brain farts.

57. SPATS says:

Yep, he’s gonna be this yrs Carey

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

58. SPATS says:

Yep he’s this yrs Carey to Webers Jaro… although Weber was soft on the shortie

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

59. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

PRICE!

Man did he shut the door this period or what.

Keep it up!

60. JIMVINNY says:

If that had been Lee, there’s no way that gets called.  Good thing that there’s at least one decent ref tonight.

61. Keith says:

Damn right it’s a trip! Gio doesn’t dive.

62. Graves says:

Eric Staal, showing plenty of respect.

63. BJT says:

I’m callin’ it.. Price scores on the open net.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

64. Montrealer2 says:

Ok now don’t give it away,and that should do it.

65. showey47 says:

This is a tough situation,you want to press to get another goal on the PP but you sure don’t want to give up another shortie. I’m also convinced lee is going to call a penalty to even it up

66. sidhu says:

Way to go boys, enjoy Xmas at home

All that didn’t have to happen if Cammy get cute with the puck in the O zone.

68. Montrealer2 says:

Early Christmas present,now a two day rest & knock off the Islanders on Boxing Day

69. Keith says:

F’ING A!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS HABS!!!

70. Danno says:

THAT was a hard-fought victory.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

71. merlin_24cups says:

Phewf indeed! Nice subtle reverse jinx Boone!

72. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good game. Nice win.

Well earned.

73. Bill says:

Price just WALKED TALL in that third period, that was awesome!

Game saver on Staal, then tons of good saves after that.

74. Top Corner says:

Sweet!  Merry Christmas everyone

Huge W !!!!

75. Danno says:

Merry Xmas everyone!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

76. JVF says:

GREAT game! Merry X’Mas all!

77. sidhu says:

Auld against the Islanders on Sunday?

78. showey47 says:

Even though we won,i feel we actually played better against colorado and dallas.

79. punkster says:

Wow!

***Subbang!!!***

80. Fargo Habs Fan says:

FINALLY!!!!  I can sleep again.  ;)

-Dustin-

81. Willy the bum says:

What’s the record without PK so far: is it 3-1-0?  Anyways, not to blame PK for that matter; just out of curiousity…

Merry Christmas to all, HI/O!!!

82. ed lopaz says:

How was it a “minor error” giving PK 23-25 minutes earlier in the year if the Habs were winning, game in and game out, without Markov???

Absolutely disagree.

83. Exit716 says:

Come on. That guy had all night to make the call and he couldn’t even get it right.

84. Bill says:

LOL!

85. Graves says:

I really like Gill stepping up and pasting Ruutu. He’s usually more gentle giant than Zdeno Chara, but he knows the team needs a jolt, and using his size like that is one way to provide it. Shows why he’s wearing an “A.”

86. JIMVINNY says:

How is that not interference?

87. Exit716 says:

Awesome. Chintzy call on Weber and then Pacioretty is dumped in front of the ref and nothing is called. Hilarious.

88. Exit716 says:

It looked like the ref was clapping after that too.

89. JIMVINNY says:

“Good hit!  Good hit!  Nope, no penalty.  It was a hab that you interfered with.  Good hit!”

90. MICP says:

“first goal will be big”

Habs 3rd worst team in NHL when opponent scores first.  Only Devils & Islanders are worse.

91. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I really like the Gagnon article on Subban. It puts a lot in perspective.

P.K. is not that good yet, and he needs to get his act together before he becomes an act. I want to see him succeed, and he’s fun to watch when he’s working with his team. He seems like a bright young guy, and he’ll get it.

I think the habs are finally relearning how to bring the younger players along. It was a minor error giving Subban too much ice time early, and I think Martin can be faulted for that. But the adjustments are being made, and Subban is learning the game. Pouliot made some inexcusable mistakes recently. Cause and effect. It has to be learned.

Yes, the veterans make mistakes and get away with them. The team’s thin on talent, and the vets aren’t going to learn from a benching. Pouliot and Subban? They should still be quite teachable, and they show every sign of needing to learn.

92. Exit716 says:

Awesome, now Pleks is hurt against this franchise.

93. Keith says:

Bout friggin time ref!

94. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Man oh man I hope we see Pleks out there for this PP……

95. petrov14 says:

Great effort by Eller drwas a penalty, nice.

96. JIMVINNY says:

About time.  I thought they weren’t going to call the canes for anything.

97. RGM says:

Coaching change is sure working wonders for New Jersey eh?

98. Shiloh says:

Called by the guy 30 feet away and not by Blind Lemon Lee, who was about 6 feet away. His monster schnozz probably obstructed his vision.

99. petrov14 says:

Gotta give them 20 games to ‘gel’ and ‘learn the system’  ;)

100. Yeats says:

What are you guys thinking about the WJC?

101. notbigbird says:

I am trying to make sense of Google’s tortured translation of Gagnon’s article. Is Gagnon saying that his team mates want Subban to sit? And is he saying that Subban is trying to do it himself and not utilizing his team mates?

If so, can somebody describe a specific type of situation in which he tries to do it all himself as opposed to this generalizing. Is he supposed to never make a rush, for example?

102. Danno says:

What happened to Plex? I missed it. Is he okay?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

103. Chris says:

Oh, probably the same story:  Canada – U.S. gold medal game, with the Swedes being the most likely to knock one of them out of the running.

104. gumper says:

Bush league reffing is one reason this league will never get any traction in a country accustomed to professionalism in that area.

105. win4ce says:

Looks like he just got winded, hopefully he’s fine

106. phillyhab says:

RDS droppin’ F-BOMBS!?!?!?  that was awesome

107. Graves says:

Cheap shot by Ruutu. Hopefully he’s just winded, not sure though.

108. RGM says:

Quite possibly. That and the lack of hockey personalities; having personality is frowned upon in this community.

As for the officiating, it’s the only professional league that NEVER holds its officials publicly accountable for their errors. Ed Hochuli botches a call, he has to do a press conference and he gets his status busted down so that he doesn’t get to do the Super Bowl. Guy that cost the pitcher a perfect game was practically in tears in the post-game discussions over his error. Basketball refs…errr, well they get investigated for match fixing by the frickin’ FBI. But if Mark Crawford criticizes one of the NHL’s zebras for something absolutely inexcusable to miss–yet was somehow missed–and he gets a $10000 fine.

109. Exit716 says:

You mean like Major League Baseball where an umpire ruins a perfect game and then cries like a little baby?

LMAO.

110. phillyhab says:

I know some people like keeping tabs of CH developed players gone abroad:  Chris Higgins 2 goals on 3 shots in the first period tonight

111. Danno says:

After hours and hours of study I have finally cracked the secret code….

WAFFLE — Mix up the letters and you get WE LAFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

112. RGM says:

But he was held accountable for it. When is the last time you saw a referee have to come out and do a press scrum and apologize for costing a team the game?

113. gumper says:

“I think Cammalleri is the weakest defensive forward on the team.” Agree in spades Boone. If he didn’t have a bullet shot this guy would be unemployed instead of making $6 mil. Never comes up with the puck one-on-one. Always half-hearted effort when they don’t have the puck.

114. gumper says:

Thanks. And when was there another time when an umpire ruined a game?

115. Yeats says:

It will be interesting to see what Leblanc can do, especially if they play the US team with 8 guys returning.

116. olematelot says:

So much nicer on here after a W

117. Yeats says:

As the White Star Line tried at official inquiries, blame it on the iceberg.

118. Exit716 says:

Great turnover by Cammalleri. That must have been Kostitsyn’s fault.

119. RGM says:

Habby Birthday!

120. sidhu says:

Gomez shot the puck! Amazing! First the lunar eclipse, now this!

121. JIMVINNY says:

LOL.  WTF was that?  Way to go, Gomer.  And nice pass, Hammer.

122. Yeats says:

Gomer with a pickup potter!!!

123. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Nice little dodge and a five-hole shot…..I like this Gomez better than normal Gomez =)

124. SlovakHab says:

YES GOMEZ!!!

125. Danno says:

GOMEZ! Not a garbagy goal at all!

Worth every penny! Oh wait…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

126. RGM says:

All due respect, that’s not what we need on the blue line. We need a guy that can move the puck and/or make a crisp first pass out the zone. A Markov-type if you will.

127. Graves says:

Whoa…Gomez not only took the shot on a partial break, he scored to boot. This is some Twilight Zone stuff right here.

128. JVF says:

YESSSS! Nice way to make up for your miscue, Roman!

129. nick says:

LOL I was gonna say… Lets not get carried away now ;)

130. Bugs says:

Gomie! Gomie!!! Friggin Gomie!

I can’t believe it!

Friggin GOMIE!

(sorry; i’ll leave yehs alone; just, some things need to be said, knowhutumean?)

131. sidhu says:

Any suggestions?

132. topher5468 says:

anyone have a good link to the game, the one im watching keeps freezing

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

133. Bill says:

I CANNOT BELIEVE Lee didn’t call that hook on Pacioretty. He was right there!!

134. JIMVINNY says:

Oh, Cammy.  So close.

135. sidhu says:

Wow, Cammy had him beat.

136. VancouverHab says:

Hey Gomophobes — commentors and journalists alike:

What Boudreau said? I’m sayin’ it to you.

(Cue whinging about his contract: contract bitching being the last refuge of the Gomez-hating scoundrel.)

137. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Impressive offense by Pyatt there

138. JIMVINNY says:

There is no chance that Chrissy Lee is going to call a penalty in our favor.  No chance whatsoever.

139. nick says:

When Eller grows into his body and puts another 10-20 pounds on… He’s going to be a monster.

140. Shiloh says:

Stick to your right-wing ramblings – at least they’re funny.

141. Bugs says:

Try ilemi.com or channelsurfing.net.

142. VancouverHab says:

Anyone not left of Stalin is right-wing here, dude.

(PS: I don’t ramble: where I go I go straightly.)

143. habs001 says:

pyat would have trouble scoring in girls ringette…he needs a soccer size goal in hockey to get 10 goals a year

144. topher5468 says:

Thanks Bugs

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

145. Bill says:

His contract actually does matter you know. If you were a Devils’ fan you’d be telling everyone on DIO they were idiots for complaining about how much money Kovalchuk will be sucking up for so many years. And everyone on DIO would be scratching their heads about your point of view, just as I am developing dermatitis of the scalp scratching my own head about how you (seemingly) haven’t yet grasped the whole salary cap concept.

Admit it: you only like Gomez because he’s Sarah Palin’s neighbour and can see Russia from his house.

146. HabFanSince72 says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Gill didn’t always pass to the other team?

147. VancouverHab says:

Well, we disagree, obviously. It is you (and those who think similarly) who don’t get “the whole salary cap concept.” But why repeat what’s been so oft repeated? (Other than to add that Gomez’ conract “doesn’t matter” in the simplistic way that you think it does– apologies for sounding offensive.)

And if Gomez agrees with Sarah Palin, he would would be correct also: Ms. Palin said that Alaskans can see Russia from Alaska. The irony of Ms. Palin’s intelliegence being abused by people mistaking words from an SNL skit as a real quotation is a delicious irony indeed.

PS: DIO?

148. Shiloh says:

Well - Stalin was anything but left-wing. He was a military dictator. And yes, you do ramble.

149. VancouverHab says:

So the Marxist head of the Communist Party in the Soviet Union is not left-wing.

O-k-a-y. Like I say, the definition of right-wing (and left-wing, for that matter) around here is intellectually nul.

And I take it as such.

150. JVF says:

BTW, that goal starts with Cammalleri losing yet another battle along the boards in the O-zone…

151. sidhu says:

Langenbrunner isn’t the guy we need from NJ, it’s Coin White — a solid stay at home defenseman who can play good minutes.

We’re taking too many shots from the perimeter with little to no traffic in front. We’re not going to beat Ward that way.

152. Robert L says:

Where is their brother Kennedy McDonald at these days? Was the Principle at my kid’s school a few year’s back.

153. Exit716 says:

The funny thing about tonight’s game is the head scout of the Carolina Hurricanes, Tony MacDonald (brother of Blair) hired Jacques Martin to coach the Brockville Braves back in the late 1970s…

154. Mike Boone says:

Need i remind you that the baby whose birth y’all will be celebrating on Saturday was twice as Jewish as I am (my father was Church of England).

155. Hockey Socks says:

I hope Santa listens to Jews too, Boone!

Coffee nose spray :)

Reminds me of the first South Park xmas episode: “Officer Barbrady, can jews eat christmas snow? Umm… No!” :)

157. novahab says:

A penalty call with a little over two minutes I can’t believe my eyes. Canes got away with murder in the third but he made the call. That was ugly but you something have to win ugly on the road. It was nice to see the powerplay come through but the player that should sit down the next game is Spacek he looks tired. Over all a win is a win lets hope they get better next game. Merry Xmas to you all and I hope Santa pops back in the late spring with a cup for the greatest team in the history of hockey . Ron Maclean that is not the Leafs.

158. Da Hema says:

A well-earned victory tonight. However I am infuriated that everytime we play Carolina one of their rat-pricks almost ends a career of a Hab. This time it was that chinless piece of sh*t Erik Cole. Is there a reason someone on the Habs cannot just shatter that prick’s wrist with a two-hander? Who cares about a two minute penalty. It would be worth it.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

159. savethepuck says:

Maybe just me, but I think this was one that Carey needed. After we went up 3-2, he was outstanding.  The best I’ve seen him since he stood on his head in the 1st period against Detroit and they scored that heartbreaker with 1.6 seconds left on the 5 on 3 to end the 1st.  He didn’t play bad since then ( 3 of his 5 goals against by Dallas were deflections), but he wasn’t standing on his head like we have been accustomed to.  Isles on a 2 game win streak, which should be good for us, they can’t win 3 in a row can they?

160. Mike Boone says:

Happy holidays back at you, and thanks for the kind words

161. Kristopher7 says:

Just want to wish a Happy Holidays to all the staff and posters of HI/O. A special thanks to Boone, it’s always fun to log on to your eeeee-mail during breaks from class after game nights to read a quick hits and about last night.

good luck to the Habs tonight, let’s hope they give us a W to happy about over the weekend :)

162. Bill says:

One negative comment: that third period was SO last year. Martin tried to sit on the one-goal lead, and Habs were outshot 10-4, and only pulled through thanks to sizzling goaltending. That is not going to get it done in the long haul.

163. HabFanSince72 says:

Just one negative comment?

You guys never stop, even when we win the freaking game.

164. showey47 says:

10th rd of shootout between bolts and rangers edit:bolts win in 11th round

165. habsruleworld says:

Looks like Jaques Martin knew exactly the right buttons to push.

Andrei K and Picard came back after being Scratched and had excellent games.

Price needs to wake up, he keeps attempting to clear the puck up straight out towards an oncoming rusher, this is not only careless, it is stupid and he keeps doing it over and over, someone’s gotta speak to him.

And for all those calling to fire Martin, you have got to be the biggest dumbasses ever!

Especially at this time in the season, and based on standings and based on what is available?

If you call for Martin to be fired, you are a blatant moron. Capiche

166. SPATS says:

When was Picard in the pressbox again?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

167. savethepuck says:

Pic was never scratched and as for your Carey comments, he has not made a mistake handling the puck and he stood on his head after we got the lead.  All he needs is someone to tell him and remind him that he is the same goaltender who was standing on his head and winning us hockey games earlier in this year.  All I want is for him to be confident and focused

168. showey47 says:

Would it be wrong to credit an actual goal to whoever scores the game winning goal in a shootout?

169. Keith says:

Take a rest from the Habs for a few days and look forward to the World Juniors.

170. joeybarrie says:

So Scotty Gomez wins us one… He has been pretty good lately.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

171. SPATS says:

Funny how when the team is tanking, he steps up… He has another gear but is selective about using it

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

172. habsruleworld says:

my bad,

he was actually singled out verbally by coach as having been poor play of late and was next to probably get pulled,

But he responded very well to that criticism none the less

173. Bill says:

Shhh!! You’re interrupting a private cyber-fe***tio moment between a sycophant and JM. That’s rude. Never mind the facts.

174. SPATS says:

I too am quick to admit when I err, well done mate… However, JM will hang himself if he continues to take AK away from Pleks. As for what’s available? Muller. Capiche? Too bad the antichambre gang will never let it happen

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

175. Danno says:

Travis Moen Hands of Stone

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

176. Yeats says:

Reminds me of Chris Higgins, the “Venus de Milo” of hockey!

177. joeybarrie says:

I think its a good point. Nothing wrong with a little criticism. Its valid. Im just happy we won though.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

178. Bill says:

Who you callin’ “you people”??

179. Mark says:

Is it bad that this is the first thing I thought of when you said that?\

180. sidhu says:

Pleks is everywhere tonight

181. GrimJim says:

The sad part is, when I saw the “Cole in our stocking” comment, my first thought was Bob, not Eric

182. DearyLeary says:

Me too…

183. Chuck says:

Proving that, as a species, we first tend to think of the worst.

The 2010 Montreal Canadians Christmas Card

184. Shiloh says:

Lee is simply dishonest.

185. petrov14 says:

Carolina doing a decent job of gettin in the way of shots

186. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I think that was the best passing play I’ve seen the Habs do this month

187. JIMVINNY says:

That stick was in Darche’s skate.  How do you not call that trip!?!?!?

188. olematelot says:

not enough evidence for Lee

189. MikeMcLaren says:

Me three.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

190. sprague cleghorn says:

Me four.

191. notbigbird says:

Me like Jane.

192. DearyLeary says:

Me like Cheeta…

193. oshawahabsfan says:

Are you just pointing to random objects in the room and saying you love them…

194. GrimJim says:

You need help… :-)

195. Habhopeful says:

I love lamp…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!”

~Rodney Dangerfield~

196. JeffHackett-underrated says:

F*ckin Chris Lee with the quick whistle

197. habs001 says:

if gomez had the same salary he has now and same production he has but was a bruin or a leaf the same posters who keep praising him would lauging at boston and toronto…we have too many forwards in the line up that are basically 1 or 2 goals every 10 games type of players…this line up will never be even a top 15 scoring team and martin realizes this and knows the only way for success is to get the team ready for 2-1 and 3-2 games and win them…

198. Natrous says:

“if gomez had the same salary he has now and same production he has but was a bruin or a leaf the same posters who keep praising him would lauging at boston and toronto…”

You’re exactly right – the same fans who don’t watch Boston or Toronto games wouldn’t know what Gomez brings to the table besides an apparent lack of offensive explosivity.

JM’s trademark style is defence first, everything else second. If you limit your opponent’s chances to low-percentage scoring opportunities, and jump on the chances you get back in return, you should come out on top.

Gomez is integral to this strategy because he’s a solid 2-way player. PK is being benched tonight because he isn’t defensively responsible in his own end to the degree JM wants to see.

199. Mark C says:

If you considered the opportunity cost, I’d say Kessel is much worse than Gomez.

200. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Just came. How’s the game guys?!

Oh, and wish you guys a very happy holiday! Merry Christmas to all (in advance)!

201. JIMVINNY says:

Too much information.

You too.

202. JVF says:

Great game by the Habs! Talk about playing with S*P*U*N*K!

203. habs001 says:

hammer today showed the worst of hammer and the best of hammer…martin knows this is the style this team needs to win…we have too many forwards who are able to create scoring chances but just cannot finnish and scoring just can never be learned…martin knows that on most nights we can only give up 2 goals and hope to win….martin will sit the more skilled offensive players vs forwards who have  no chance to score most nights…while a player like pyatt has no idea how to score a goal and moen is not far behind they at least provide better d ..pouliot being able to score 2 goals every 10 games is not good enough to replace moen or pyatt..he would have to be at least 4 goals every 10 games…i am afraid maxpac is the same type of scorer as pouliot but may be better at the d game…

204. rocketsglare says:

The boys showed their mettle tonight. They hustled and fought all game long and where rewarded with 2 very

important points. This gut check win will boost the team’s confidence and help to energize their play as the club

continues on their roadie. Just a great team win tonight by the boys.

205. shootdapuck says:

On the Habs first goal anyone reckon that Ward was totally surprised by Gomez actually shooting ?

Gionta looked absolutely shocked!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

206. rocketsglare says:

Props to the team for not folding after the shortie or the second goal. Instead, the team continued to work hard

and was ultimately rewarded with a huge win and more importantly, 2 big points. Just a great team win by the

boys.

207. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I can say with 100% honesty that I thought I’d never see JM smile like that

208. Robert L says:

Puck was in the net before the whistle blew!

209. petrov14 says:

I KNOW! So frusterating.

210. Chuck says:

With Chrissy Lee? Where have we seen that before?

*coughagainstPittsburghcough*

The 2010 Montreal Canadians Christmas Card

211. NoTinFoilCups says:

“Hamrlik makes smart plays”. What game are you watching Boone?

212. JVF says:

I like Weber. He’s going to be a very good D-man. Top four.

213. HabFanSince72 says:

Hamr and Spacek again.

214. JIMVINNY says:

This is looking eerily similar to the Dallas game.  Totally control the game, and lose.

215. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I think Hammer owes the entire team a round of steaks after the game

216. sidhu says:

1) Hammer has to block him out, and

2) The face-off was b/s, the players should be set, and not have that momentum

217. MICP says:

We win a faceoff and yet they jam down Prices throat.

218. Habnofear says:

Hab killer Cole!

219. sidhu says:

Kris Draper all over again.

Give him 5

220. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

What is up with Canes injuring Habs players…Sheesh.

221. Keith says:

OK, somebody needs to rearrange Coles face!

222. t1tan5 says:

Must score here.

223. Bill says:

I cannot watch this power-play. Let me know how it goes.

224. JIMVINNY says:

You’d think a guy like Cole, who had his neck broken on a similar hit, would have a little more restraint in a situation like that.

225. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

NICE!

AK46!!! BUUUT!

226. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I had a weird hunch that AK46 was gonna strike on this one!

227. Keith says:

YEAH! EAT IT CANDY CANES!!!

228. MICP says:

AK46 in fact is alive.

229. sidhu says:

There we go, nice positioning AK!

230. NoTinFoilCups says:

Ironically Higgins has two goals tonight.

231. Bill says:

Haha!

I am so juvenile …

232. showey47 says:

lol,same here.

233. rocketsglare says:

Price can be at time careless in clearing the puck. Tonight he almost scored on himself with a clearing pass that

hit an oncoming Carolina player in the slot and somehow rebounded back to Price. Fortunately, he was able to

smoother the puck.

234. RetroMikey says:

Defense wins you the hockey games, offense does not.  I’ll take a Picard than a Subban.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

235. topher5468 says:

What has Picard done lately to remain in the line up. I know subban has not been great lately either but we need offense as well as defense,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

236. C3P1 says:

over/under 10,000 people show up to the rock tonight to watch the devils and the islanders play? haha

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

237. MikeMcLaren says:

WAY under.  If you want to be sporting, you should drop a “0″ :P

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

Someone once told me – it’s good to want things, Michael.

239. sidhu says:

Icing on a PP? Oy oy oy

240. RetroMikey says:

And remind everyone Boone, yes there is a Christmas on January 7 as well, an Orthodox Christmas.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

241. Fool of Chu says:

You don’t believe in virgin birth?

Just kidding!

242. HabFanSince72 says:

Hamrlik needs to retire.

243. scrowe21 says:

that was a nice little goal too

244. sidhu says:

I like this Gomez, the Gomez who shoots and doesn’t suck

245. Danno says:

Clutch save

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

246. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Nice work AK. Would love to see more of that.

247. Graves says:

There’s the Price we’ve gotten used to this season! Nice stop on Staal.

248. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Nice work AK. Would love to see more of that.

I am not watching the game… so, I hear Chris Lee is doing a fantastic job tonight.

250. JIMVINNY says:

That was a pretty questionable change that sent that 3on2 for Carolina in.  The 3rd man for carolina was 5 strides away from the bench by the time his change got back to the bench.  He may not have touched the puck, but he was into the play well before the other player got back.

251. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Habs seriously lack a top-2 dman.

252. Graves says:

Was it ever in doubt?

253. petrov14 says:

#11 Obi Wan Gomey

254. JIMVINNY says:

Looked like Cole was apologizing to Spatch there.

255. sidhu says:

How was that not interference, JG was picked!

256. JIMVINNY says:

And Lee lets a MASSIVE pick by Carolina go.  Surprise, Surprise.

257. showey47 says:

this whole mess starts with picard giving the puck away behind our own net,now it looks like we are shorthanded.

258. JIMVINNY says:

Figures.  We should be on the PP right now, instead, we’ll be on the PK.  Idiot Lee, at it again.

259. Bill says:

Picard and Wber are one WEAK defensive pairing. That was brutal. And playing with the fourth line … it was inevitable.

260. HabFanSince72 says:

Not good.

Should Habs win PK will never see ice time again. Damn kids… seriously, I am missing the game because of… <drum roll> – Curious George. Fruck!

262. petrov14 says:

Way to **** the match Eller….

263. petrov14 says:

I regretted that post right away

264. HabFanSince72 says:

That’s OK. Eller regretted shooting the puck over the glass too.

265. Keith says:

Why in Hell are we standing around!!!

266. sidhu says:

D’Agostini has 8 goals for STL.. wow

267. JeffHackett-underrated says:

JM Benches Eller next game based on your first comment

268. Shiloh says:

How on earth is that not tripping?

269. showey47 says:

i’m sure weber could.

270. petrov14 says:

The Movie? I enjoyed the Jack Johnson soundtrack. My kids are watching go diego go, so I get to watch the game on the PC.

271. olematelot says:

who cares, he plays for the Blues

272. Shiloh says:

Blind Lemon Lee will penalize us once more for sure.

273. Keith says:

AK46 is really flying tonight. Noticed him alot, and for all the right reasons.

274. savethepuck says:

We have a Weber. Are you talking about the one in Nashville?

275. showey47 says:

I’m talking about ours but the one in nashville has a cannon also.

276. showey47 says:

I’m sure a  gorges shot would cause an egg to wobble a little.

277. petrov14 says:

I refuse to believe or even fact-check that. lol

278. JIMVINNY says:

Good start.  Nice to score in the first two minutes.  Good omen.

279. The Teacher says:

SDee why I don’t think benching Kostitsyn was a good idea?

280. Montrealer2 says:

Ok one more boys, and make up for the weak ones against

281. MikeMcLaren says:

I like that Pacioretty is always in front of the net on the PP.  A refreshing change.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

282. TheChangeling says:

Ok, i’ve always hated Cole. Since the 2002 series infact. I want retribution. That goal should only be part of the retribution. Moen has got to break this tosser’s nose, since he most likely won’t break his neck. Spacek’s season could’ve ended there. Seriously, someone better take a run at this heartless asshole.

283. notbigbird says:

To Hamilton? Please do.

284. RetroMikey says:

Ask our Captain who he wants to be sent down to Hamilton or ask Cammalleri…..your yip yap hero in a heartbeat.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Clearly the case as far as Habs are concerned. Lately though, defense hasn’t won anything either. Come on, Mikey. Picard will never get better. PK is just starting and he needs ot learn. Too bad for him his coach is JM. This is not the way to start an NHL career.

286. SeriousFan09 says:

Ask our Resident Hamilton Bulldogs fan who he wants sent to Hamilton so his team can get better…..your yip yap hero in a heartbeat.

Fixed.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

287. Born in a Bad Year says:

Have you watched Picard?  He is the poster boy for doing nothing on defence.  He is -3 in his last two games and drags Subban down with him.  Three penalties in twenty six games because he does not go close enough to an opponent to get an infraction called.

288. Jordio-oh says:

So far this season, PK has more hits per game, more shot blocks per game, more takeaways per game, and less give aways per game.

Just because Picard hasn’t scored as much as Subban, doesn’t mean Subban is worse defensively.

You’re going by a few crucial giveaways hyped up by the media instead of some major overall statistics.

But I shouldn’t be surprised because you are you, afterall.

289. RetroMikey says:

Ask our most knowlegable blogger here, NonseriousFan09 what makes a winner for an NHL team.

DEVELOPMENT=SUCCESS=WINNERS

Amen.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

290. PeterD says:

Defense wins you the hockey games, offense does not??

Whaaaa???  Defence certainly helps…but the team that scores the most goals usually wins…offense is need to win…I remember when the Oilers had Gretzky…at times their D sucked but they simply relied on the Great one to out score the opposition…

291. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban needs to take lessons at the NHL level about what doesn’t work that worked for him in the AHL. He was already dominant in the AHL, it was time for him to move up.

What more was he going to learn being able to outskate and outplay nearly the entire A? It was time for him to meet the top level of competition and learn he can’t be casual with the puck and his skating will not always get him out of trouble.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

292. notbigbird says:

Oh you go and ask our captain, and then let me know. Will ya?

293. DearyLeary says:

Have you been watching Picard lately?  He’s been getting burned consistently.

294. RetroMikey says:

Don’t have to.  I know what his answer is.  Do you?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

295. sidhu says:

2 PP goals?  PK, I hope you like hot dogs

Hilarious!

297. Barts says:

“We deserve more than Cole in our stocking.”

How Ron MacLean-esque…

298. DearyLeary says:

That was harsh.

299. VancouverHab says:

Grinch. Go away.

300. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

NICE!

PICARD!

2 PPG!

301. Keith says:

BEAUTY!!! Kill them for that dirty hit!!!

302. JIMVINNY says:

LOL @ our PP.  As inconsistent as NHL reffing.

303. Montrealer2 says:

Ok now another quick one & let’s end this slump

304. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Whoa!

If someone had told me that Gomez and Picard would be among the goalscorers tonight, I woulda laughed in their face….

305. HabFanSince72 says:

Gomie having a good game.

306. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Gomez has 8 points (and counting) in last 5 games.

Thank God I was wrong about him. Hopefully he keeps this up.

307. larisalapointe says:

Haha, Benoit Brunet even getting on Pierre Houde’s nerves.

308. Bill says:

So I am not allowed to watch power-plays anymore …

309. olematelot says:

Why’s that Gomez has been playing well lately, that’s 11 points this month

310. HabFanSince72 says:

BB is a bit of a tool isn’t he?

311. VancouverHab says:

So that’s everyone now, then  ;–)

312. Propwash says:

JM is a freaking GENIUS! ;)

313. sidhu says:

Bruce Boudreau? Yes, he is

314. Bugs says:

Even if the Pac-Man DID get it in afore the whistle blowed, remember how Lee scammed us on THAT last year?

The “Intent to blow” Rule.

See, he INTENDS to screw us. That’s the rule.

315. VancouverHab says:

Gomez has 8 points (and counting) in last 5 games.

What??!  They’re going to be sold out of crow at every butcher’s shop in Canada then, shortly….

316. JVF says:

Scott Gomez has been lights out since he came back from his injury.

317. Josh says:

Kostitsyn would have those same stats if he didn’t sit out and got a chance to play where he belongs.

318. keepthefaith says:

I may have made a mistake saying that Picard should be the one in the box. Tonight it should have been Hamrlk

319. Harani says:

Ray Ferraro annoys the hell out of me. And Denis Gauthier…there’s a reason you don’t play in the NHL.

“It must be love!”

320. The Teacher says:

Agreed, he has been playing quite well this year, defensively, and dishing out crushing hits at times.

321. FrederictonHabsfan says:

What game is Boone watching?  How is Carey at fault on those 2 goals?  Hammer was soft on Cole and Weber didn’t pick up the 2nd guy coming down the middle on the first (after Hammer turned it over).  Both goals came form in close and high % areas… come on…

And complaining about Cammy’s D skills?  I know he’s not the strongest, but that isn’t really his role.  He gives the effort but he’s a goal scorer and not a defensive guy.  I don’t get it.  Would we complain that Crosby doens’t backcheck hard enough too?

322. habsfan0 says:

I have a hypothetical question. It is the first game of the regular season,Habs vs Carolina. Erik Cole takes a 5 minute major for boarding during which the ensuing power play, Habs score 3 goals. Assuming no further penalties are called for the rest of the game, what is the Canadiens’ PP % at the end of the game?

323. naweed235 says:

man… this sucks… in the last two weeks Price looks exactly like the shaky unreliable goalie that he’s been in the last 2 yrs… atleast 1 soft goal per game and history repeats itself… solid performances in the beginning of the season and as everyone including myself starts thinking “man this time it might be for real… he might have actually matured and become the goalie we all expected him to be” it goes downhill like an avalanch…

I really hope that im wrong  but as long as Price is here we are going to need a solid back up that can steal us some games  or we are doomed…

324. The Teacher says:

I would assume 100%

325. showey47 says:

My buddy who works for the alouettes(he is originally from sudbury) just called me and asked if it is was OK if he and his wife stayed here during the christmas holidays. I said sure,then he said if it was ok if he brought the grey cup. Looks like i’m hosting a grey cup victory party,lol.

326. Mats Naslund says:

a sterling 300%?

327. JIMVINNY says:

What a f*cking joke Chris Lee is.  After the interference he hasn’t called against the canes, that’s just brutal.

328. showey47 says:

come on hamr,smarten up.

329. keepthefaith says:

Dont worry you are wrong. Watch the games . At least 5 of the last 7 goals have all been the D’s fault.

330. petrov14 says:

I dont think Hammer realized how far away the puck was…

331. JIMVINNY says:

Does that count as a save?

332. The Teacher says:

I don’t think so. It is powerplay conversion, not powerplay goals per 2 minutes?

did you know that if you have a power play and then are called for a penalty after 15 seconds, you go 0/1 on the powerplay?

333. HabFanSince72 says:

Hamrlik having a nightmare.

334. petrov14 says:

And your home address is…….?

;0)

335. savethepuck says:

I think people are panicking about Carey’s stats of late, thus his opinion.  I agree he was not to blame on those 2 goals, definitely Hamr on the first and IMO Spac on the 2nd, although you pointed out Weber.  We were spoiled earlier in the year though when Carey was always bailing out our D on defensive turnovers in our own end.  Now he’s not doing it as often but he”s still the least of my worries on this team.

336. habsfan0 says:

Yes I knew that,but I still think Habs’ PP% would be 300%. Taking it a step further,during very next game,Habs’ PP goes 0/1. Now what is Habs’ PP% after 2 games? 3 goals divided by 2 chances = 150%.

337. olematelot says:

Not true, your obviously not watching the type of goals that are beating him or you expect him to stop everything

what about first 25?

339. Mats Naslund says:

Really? I love Ray – he’s one of the few who actually call the game without cheering for one side or the other. He’s a fan of the game – I find.. which is so much better than most.

340. VancouverHab says:

Mr. Boone: thanks for the reminder that you’re the star at the top of the sport journalism tree–that intro is a delightful Christmas treat. (“Cole in our stockings” — ha ha!)

341. rut1212 says:

That’s why he makes the big money that we know all reporters make.

342. Arrow77 says:

Gomez isn’t THAT good defensively – if he were, Plekanec wouldn’t spend that much time killing penalties. A player that doesn’t kill penalties, that never face the opposition’s top center and who played with every top wingers of the team needs to produce to be useful, which he wasn’t doing until the last few games.

343. Exit716 says:

Hilarious. Ian White pretty much grabs Pacioretty all night like that and well no call. Hamrlik does less and boom. Penalty. Karmanos must have been on the phone to Bettman.

344. petrov14 says:

“Hey Garey, its Pete. Look we got, like, 4000 fans here tonight. They have to go home happy or they wont tell their friends”.

345. Exit716 says:

I have nothing but total respect from a franchise like Carolina that generates more than 40 per cent of its money from revenue sharing.

Oh and they employ that POS Samsonov.

346. Shiloh says:

It’s like Lee is daring the NHL to fire him. Oh, wait. His boss is that paragon of virtue, Colin Campbell. As long as he sticks it to the Habs, he’s on an upward career curve.

347. HabFanSince72 says:

Picard looked like he was aiming at Chris Lee.

348. C3P1 says:

martin brodeur is officially at the end of the line  5 goals on 13 shots against the islanders? that’s rick dipietro territory, that is

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

349. petrov14 says:

I would be really suprised if he didnt retire at the end of the year.

350. sidhu says:

Man AK looked lazy on that shift

351. JIMVINNY says:

I like how Chris lee makes sure he’s behind the Habs, so they can’t fire the puck at him like Picard just did to the other ref.

352. win4ce says:

I dont think Ferraro has said a positive thing about the Habs tonight

353. petrov14 says:

Or ever…
    ______________________________________
    Long live Captain Gionta.

354. sidhu says:

Pitkanen doing his best Samsonov impression

355. JIMVINNY says:

THAT’S HOW YOU HIT!!!!

356. showey47 says:

I think that’s the best hit i’ve ever seen gill throw

357. Yeats says:

He’s been pacing himself for this point in his career.

358. Keith says:

Nice hit from Big Hal.

359. Chris says:

Just for kicks and giggles (and because I had too much spare time this afternoon…)

In terms of cap hit, only two teams in the NHL pay their four most expensive forwards more than the Montreal Canadiens’ $23.325 million shared between Gomez, Gionta Cammalleri and Plekanec:  the Washington Capitals (thanks to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and Knuble, they come in at $25.038 million) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (thanks to Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Kunitz, Mario Lemieux is forking out $25.125 million).

We all know about this, of course, and many will point out that the cap is irrelevant unless it is your wallet funding it.  This may be true, but I ranked teams on the PPG production of their top 4 forward cap hits and compared that ranking with the league ranking.  Here’s how they shake out, listing the teams in order of least to most PPG for their top 4 cap hits:

• Toronto (28th in league standings entering today’s games)
    • Nashville (13th)
    • New York Rangers (11th)
    • New York Islanders (29th)
    • Ottawa (24th)
    • Tampa Bay (7th)
    • Chicago (12th)
    • Anaheim (15th)
    • Colorado (9th)
    • Vancouver (6th)
    • Pittsburgh (2nd)

With a few exceptions, you can basically see a quite strong correlation between the performance of the forwards you pay to carry your team and where a team finishes in the standings.  I don’t think this is a big surprise.

What jumps out at me is that the Montreal Canadiens pay their top forwards as amongst the elite in the NHL, but this statistic basically indicates that they are middling at best.  If you look at the other teams that have dedicated over $20 million of their cap to their top 4 forwards, you see two groups:

Regular season contenders:  Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Jose, Dallas

Teams struggling with depth:  New Jersey, Ottawa, Anaheim, Buffalo, Los Angeles

Unclear:  Montreal (depth on defence), Tampa Bay (goaltending)

I’ve kind of grown tired of the Eller/Pouliot//Picard/Moen/Pyatt sniping, just like I think many of us tired of these discussions of role players in years past.  These guys were signed to fulfill specific roles, and in most cases have exceeded expectations.  The Montreal Canadiens success hinges upon the performance of Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Plekanec….Price simply can’t be expected to work miracles for an entire season.  Either the guys who are being paid and expected to carry the team wake up, or the Montreal Canadiens will be on the wrong side of the playoff line.

360. Yeats says:

Good stuff! I think the problem that the Habs have — and we can go back and forth about the reasons — is that they have to pay a premium for a given talent level. I wept when Ovechkin decided to clip the big coupon in DC rather than coming to Montreal.

361. MNaslund26 says:

need live feed for game… anyone?

362. Yeats says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I miss the Whalers and the Nordiques!

363. JIMVINNY says:

What a shock.  Chris F*cking Lee.

364. Yeats says:

Given his history, the fact that he is still officiating in the NHL is a mystery.

(Just call me Don King!)

365. Yeats says:

Better yet, they just need a fan named Lee Harvey Oswald!

366. Shiloh says:

I’m not sayin’ that Chris “Blind Lemon” Lee has a big nose, but if he leaned over the edge of a boat you’d soon be going the other way.

367. Chris says:

I never thought we had a shot at Ovechkin, as I think the league had a vested interest in keeping him in a franchise that had been struggling before his arrival.

But Kovalchuk, for all his warts…that is a player that, in the right circumstances, can do a lot of damage for your team.  He gets in trouble when his supporting cast is too weak and he tries to do too much.  I know many here dislike him and/or his contract, but I think that guy could have excelled in Montreal based on his flair and his love of the spotlight.

368. Yeats says:

I agree with you. The Bettman NHL is all about local star power to prop up teams. It is going to be very interesting to see what Lemaire cooks up on his return to Newark. As a bystander, this is going to be a fun experiment vis-a-vis his coaching skills.

369. Chris says:

Be interesting to see what Lemaire can do with Kovalchuk.  You know Lemaire is going full-trap mode with that line-up…they have no depth.  But can Kovalchuk play and contribute in such a system?

All I know is that I never bet against Lemaire…he’s pulled enough rabbits out of the hat that you give him the benefit of the doubt even while acknowledging that he has failed a few times as well.

370. Yeats says:

Jacques knows the game, no doubt about it. And, though many forget it, his NHL career stradled two dynasties. Some will judge him vis-a-vis the trap as a coach. I will always remember him as one of the most exciting forwards I ever saw play. It will be a treat to see what he comes up with for the Devils.

371. Habnofear says:

Another tough kid from Vancouver Island….

372. EnglishHab says:

Did someone remind AK46 it is contract year whilst he was in the box in Dallas

373. petrov14 says:

He was like ” no man, I got another yea…. OH SH*T!”

374. olematelot says:

why are we hanging on instead of taking it to them

375. Keith says:

I hate the passivity.

376. petrov14 says:

Would we get 3 points for a win ‘In Spite of Chris Lee’.

377. Bryan says:

Phewwww

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

378. sidhu says:

Big call at a critical moment… took a lot of guts to make that call at this point

379. zozotheclown says:

That was getting way too close, lucky call for us

380. JeffHackett-underrated says:

Benoit is laughing

381. nick says:
    Boudreau’s f-bombs: Would not be heard on HNIC or TSN. But RDS is different.
    French listeners are wondering why Boudreau keeps bringing up seals in the middle of a hockey intermission. No wonder the Caps are losing! :-)
  382. RGM says:

Shoulda had that one, Hammer. PK did that a week or so ago.

383. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Price has every reason to be upset about that.  Unbelievable.

384. MICP says:

a short handed opportunity and Price says YES!

385. SlovakHab says:

Oh man, that was beyond pathetic.

386. C3P1 says:

give the man a break

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

387. JIMVINNY says:

Not that I really want the refs to call a penalty, but the canes are getting away with a LOT.

388. Yeats says:

That goal was “pickup-hockey” dreadful.