Take a bow, Mr. Gainey … wherever you are.

You have the gratitude of Montreal hockey fans – even those who doubted you – for:

• Scott Gomez instead of Saku Koivu

• Mike Cammalleri instead of Alex Tanguay

• Brian Gionta instead of L’Artiste

• Tom Pyatt instead of Christopher Higgins

• Jaro Spacek, Hal Gill and Paul Mara instead of Mike Komisarek, Francis Bouillon and Mathieu Dandenault

• Marc-André Bergeron instead of Mathieu Schneider

Thank you, also, for Jacques “I don’t have a problem with calmness” Martin.

Thanks for letting P.K. Subban learn pro hockey away from the spotlight until he was ready.

And for kicking BGL out of a tight, proud, hard-working room.

We’ll also credit Gainey, at least in part, for Travis Moen and Dominic Moore – BIG upgrades on Tom Kostopoulos and Steve Bégin.

The sun is shining in Montreal and everyone is smiling.

Bob Gainey has no influence on the weather, but what a playoff team he put together.

tFlVhsXeZVY

1. ManApart says:

My post wasn’t on Halak and Price, but Gainey’s overall tenure.But since you bring it up,  Gainey never ever gave Halak a fair shot, anytime. Not even close. No matter what he did and what Price did. That is just the way it was. Halak only got a fair shot when Gainey left. Coincidence? I understand giving a 1st rounder more of an edge to get the job, but Gainey was out of his mind on that point and lost his judgement through bias, as you did all year, up until game 2 of this series, about dismissing Halak and wanting Price, no matter how much Halak outplayed him. So who was wrong on the Halak and Price thing again?

2. Chris says:

Nope…but changing your mind back and forth over and over is. And many in here are guilty of it.

My objections to Gainey’s tenure as a GM are over the long-haul. I try not to get too wrapped up in a single playoff year because so much luck and serendipity is involved. Maybe that belief is why I get so tired of teams like the Sharks getting labelled as “choke artists”. Only one team can win each year, and it takes a crap-ton of luck, on top of the skill and hard work, to be that team.

But being in the mix EVERY year is what separates the great NHL franchises that don’t have the luxury of tanking for top-3 draft picks (such as Detroit, New Jersey and San Jose) from the also-rans who oscillate from Stanley Cup contender to lottery contender every five years.

I desperately want the Montreal Canadiens to be compared to the organizations in Detroit, New Jersey or San Jose. It’ll take a few years before anybody can say one way or the other whether Gainey’s housecleaning this year moved us any closer to that goal.

3. Got2BHabs says:

Right cuz apparently the playoffs are just like the regular season, just look at this years team right? I’m not saying that we would have won, I’m saying he wasn’t given a chance last year to see if he could have pulled one out. If nothing else, this year’s playoffs should have taught you that. Regular season has NO bearing on the playoffs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    “This kid is going to win a Stanley Cup one day and hopefully I’ll be with him when that happens” – Saku Koivu

4. ManApart says:

Hey buddy, check again, and get YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

5. ManApart says:

Technically we don’t know for sure, but C’mon, it wouldn’t be much of a stretch considering how Price was playing. Don’t act like it’s  a crazy inference, to say Price wouldn’t  have played  as good as Halak,( he needed to, they made the playoffs by 1 point), and the Habs would have missed the playoffs. It’s the most solid prediction anyone could ever make, but not 100%, happy.

6. forskis says:

Some on here are saying that Gainey should get little credit because he put the team in the position of needing new players in the first place.

Well let me ask you this…if at the end of the 5-year plan, the players do not pan out and none are signed…do you just go ahead and re-sign them?  Some say he should have just quit…but if ownership had faith in him to start a new plan…then the credit is his.

If the players in Year 5 had panned out, they would have been re-signed…they did not pan out so they were let go.  Gainey got another chance and this is the result.

Also, get off the Gainey/Price/Halak thing…Gainey helps determine who is on the team, Carbonneau and JM pick who gets to play, if you guys are going to complain about Price getting starts, then complain about Carbonneau and JM with sticking with him.  The only time Price started when he probably should not have was that HALF season when Gainey took over from Carbonneau last season.  Price was on the roster, Carbonneau could have treated him like the backup (a la Tuuka Rask) but CARBONNEAU did not.  Same thing applies to JM.  This is similar to Babcock letting Howard run with it and losing while they have a Cup-winning vet in Osgood rotting on the bench.  BABCOCK chose to run with Howard…not Dave Holland.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

7. jbroderi says:

I was in Dominican..  Can I go back???

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

8. Chris says:

Perhaps you didn’t notice the posts where I’ve already lauded the Habs for last night’s effort.  Or the part of the post you are replying to where I stated that in the MAJORITY of these games, the Habs were outplayed pretty heavily.

Last night, particularly in the second half, the Habs outplayed the Penguins.  Same goes for Game 4 of this series…Montreal was clearly better, even with amazingly bad refereeing.  And Game 5 against the Capitals, where the Habs were the better team despite a misleading shot total.

I might be wrong, but I believe that Halak has been the first star in 6 of the Habs’ 7 wins thus far in the playoffs.  He has been full value for 5 of those 6 first star selections…if he had been even SLIGHTLY off his A++-game, the Habs don’t win.

Last night was the first Habs win in these playoffs where I thought that Halak was not playing at the top of his abilities.  That was the best sign for me out of that game…the TEAM is finally finding its legs and starting to bail out its goalie on a night when he was merely good to very good, instead of brilliant to awe-inspiring.

9. Got2BHabs says:

Ok, so then I’m not a troll? You’re very confusing. IMO Gainey was a GREAT player, a good GM, but a terrible coach. Is that okay to post on here? Apparently I’m not up to snuff as too what is okay to post and what isn’t. Thought this was a place to voice your opinions, silly me!

10. habsfan0 says:

Habs won the first game at the Igloo,it would be fitting if they also won the last.

Greatest G.M. for our side since Sam Polack. A great 5 year plan.!

My blog check it out

Thank you Mr. Gainey!

12. makka83 says:

all this is BS. What matters is that the team is winning. Just like between Halak and Price, the wins are the only thing that matters.

BG built this team. His decisions made this team a great playoff team. You can say what you want about his mistakes but at the end, he built this team that is winning in the playoffs. That’s what matters.

13. K-hab25 says:

You know people like you make me laugh. Jaro had a GAA of over 3.00 as late in the season as FEB and finished at 2.86. Yet he would’ve solved all the team problems had he played. We would’ve beaten BOS depite scoring 5 goals in 4 games, because the great Halak would’ve shut them out every game. Gimme a break. He should’ve been given game 3 or 4 last year, but I highly doubt he would’ve faired any better with the quitters we had playing in front him. Halak 2.86 GAA = Savior / Price 2.77 GAA = Bust

14. ManApart says:

if the Habs win the Cup, then the war will be won and Gainey will get and deserve a lot of credit. Until then let’s not get carried away and throw around the words greatness and Gainey around together (as a GM).

15. 11habs11 says:

yeah ok man ur cool

16. makka83 says:

Carbo is the one that chose Huet against toronto 3 years ago. That also came because Halak failed  to win the two games before that.. so he did have a chance to close it out and did not…

and Halak did get a chance against Philly… a loss, the same way as all our losses in that series went…

just because Halak is amazing this year does not mean he was always this good. I would suggest that this might have helped him get more determined and work on his tending in practice. That’s what Price is doing now.. good for everyone.

So in summary, you are wrong. The only thing that Gainey should have done was let Price go to the hammer. That is easy to say now, the guy was on a roll.

Price is a 5th round pick, he will naturally get more chances that Halak who is a late round pick. Ryder had to go through more to prove himself than AK or Higgins. That’s a way it is everywhere. When Halak started playing beyond what anyone, including you and all the Halak fanboys, expected, he was given the job.

17. ManApart says:

Doesn’t make a lot of sense really, but OK.

18. Chuck says:

“Technically” we don’t know for sure? That’s your argument?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

19. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

the pens opened the igloo with a loss. hopefully we can close it with one too!

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Changing your mind based on new evidence isn’t flip flopping.

this is a thread to praise a Hab great by the name of Bob Gainey

Precisely the place to disagree. Or maybe you prefer things the way they were in the old Soviet Union or under Bush/Rumsfeld. Freedom of speech means freedom to disagree.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

So what?

His  vision was correct.

He got lucky at certain points (Kovalev’s dithering)  unlucky at others (injuries this year).

But overall he got it absolutely right.

And Boone isn’t “blindly” cheering for Gainey. He is doing it with his eyes open, and looking at the undeniable facts.

23. Max_a_million says:

Last night there was a television show on the CBC and Versus called Game 6 of Montreal against Pittsburgh.  It is actually a live taping of a sporting even that occurred in Montreal between two NHL hockey teams.  If you would like to watch it you can come over to my house, and we can see it togther.

Cammy was the best player on the ice, PK was a workhorse stud, Lapierre pulled a brilliant Denis Savard-orama, Gorges was …  sorry to be a spoiler, but the Canadiens won with a tremendous performance with their backs against the wall.  I didn’t really notice Halak playing with Voodoo dolls, so I am assuming the players were great of their own volition.  Although it does surprise me that Cammi’s 11 goals are all a result of Halak’s goaltending?!?!? so maybe I am wrong.  Oh yeah Kudos to Halak for keeping Cindy from getting any shots off … how does he do it?!?!?!?

24. Hockey Socks says:

I bought a Gomez t-shirt just hours before Game 7 of the WSH series. I might buy a Cammy or Gorges one now.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

No, but this is a thread to praise a Hab great by the name of Bob Gainey.

If you want to keep bashing him I’m sure they’d love to hear what you have to say over on pension plan puppets.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Halak did get a chance against Philly two years ago.

27. Chris says:

Junior scouts would DEFINITELY be an area that the Habs need to upgrade, in my opinion, particularly those in Western Canada in Ontario.  Our forays into those hockey hotbeds don’t usually end all that well for the Habs, historically.

Pro scouting is another area where some help is needed.  It has not been particularly great, although I do give them some credit on the Josh Gorges acquisition which has worked out well for the Habs.

And something some of us were talking about the other day…the organization perhaps needs to re-think its “Draft the best player possible, regardless of need” philosphy.  I don’t want to see them starting to draft big power forwards with every pick like they did in the 1990’s…that was an unmitigated disaster.

But I DO want to see them start drafting the best players available that fit a defensively responsible game plan.  That shift, drafting players that fit a system, means that you necessarily limit the style of coach that you can hire should Martin ever need to be replaced.  But it also means that you perhaps don’t have to throw out half your organizational assets because they no longer fit the organizational gameplan.  The loss of assets for little return was the one critical short-coming of Gainey’s that I have never been able to completely forgive.  I don’t mind him changing directions, as he seemed to do this past summer.  I just mind when it is done last-minute, because you lower your chance of getting fair return on the organization’s investment in the development of its young players.

The organizations that I admire most in professional sports right now are teams like San Jose, Detroit and New Jersey in the NHL, San Antonio and Utah in the NBA and New England and Pittsburgh in the NFL.  Those organizations have identities.  In some cases, it is a boring defensive style, in others it is a pretty aggressive offensive style.  But in all cases, they are consistently in the mix because they pay a lot of attention to personnel matters…they choose their players with the utmost care, and they are generally patient, giving those players a few kicks at the can.  And if you get enough kicks at the can, Lady Luck will turn her eye your way eventually…and luck is the one ingredient that is absolutely necessary in any championship run.

28. K-hab25 says:

Google it genius it happened in the middle of DEC, just like it says in Zambonis link above. Unfortunately, like you, he’s an idiot that can’t read.

29. Merc_Roswell says:

I agree with your points ManApart, I prefer the balanced objective view….I agree, this is what Gainey signed all these role players for, their ability to perform under pressure and get the job done…..way better than the guys they let go (except Koivu who has a special place in my Hab heart). Helps that they have a goalie who is gaining confidence and players who have confidence in him. Too many a night during the regular season both Carey and Halak were fed to the wolves but that is another story…
    It would be really neat to see a comprehensive review of all the GMs over the last ten years ort so and see how they have fared. Would be difficult since they don’t all last 10 years so maybe a review of the team then. I am positive every GM has their share of dumb moves (easy for me to say, hindsight is 20-20). I wonder how the Mtl. Canadiens and Gainey would match up then compared to all the other teams.

30. Max_a_million says:

If you want a Nordique jersey I will foot the bill … please no more habs.

I have Cammelleri because I cheated and got a good used Tanguay and had my girlfriend change the name tape.  She is good with such things and I am cheap.  We actually made three Cammelleri’s and 3 Giontas out of Higgins and Tanguay jerseys, and bought one brand new Gomez to top it off for our family of sevens trip to watch the Canadiens in Florida.

31. makka83 says:

Halak hasn’t outplayed Price until this year.

Some might say that last year he did but they would be wrong. Price got injured and Halak filled in. He had 1 good month (similar stats to Price’s first half of the year, that’s 3 months). The rest of the time, he was giving up 3-4 goals a game and our team only won by scoring 5-6 goals.

BG then fired Carbo and decided to ride Price all the way. Halak would have probably done a bit better but it was not obvious. BG did what he thought was best for the team.

So yeah the only time BG did not give Halak a chance was last year for like 3 months…

If you are quicker to learn than someone else, you usually spend less time studying than them. Price has more talent than Halak and it showed when they were younger… Hence, Price gets the higher draft pick and the better treatment.

You act like Halak was owed something? He was owed nothing. Price was owed nothing as well but the difference is talent.

Just think about it, if you want to hire 2 people and one of them has more talent. You would give him more work. If at some point the other guy proves he can do a better job you will give him more work and trust him more… It’s ABC of management. You should look it up!

32. Got2BHabs says:

I’m a Leaf troll because I thought Jaro should have been given a chance last year? Ya that makes sense!

33. ManApart says:

This team has really come out and shown a lot of character and have done much better than anyone could have imagined. Gainey deserves credit for using all the free cap space and signing character guys that mostly give bang for the buck. Guys who answer the bell. He was right in replacing most of the players last off season. However, Boone and others make me laugh, in saying that BG was a genius to get rid of so and so, when he was the one who brought them all in to begin with. Anyone remember the last 5 years? Great on BG for kicking Laraque off the team. That is true, but he’s the one who signed him to a ridiculous 3 year, 4.5 million contract to begin with!! You want to heap praise on him for giving Subban time? He made the right decision. But what about Lats? What about Max Pac? What about SK74? What about the montrous debacle named Price? Everyone loved the Gorges trade. Rightfully so. What about Ribiero? What about Tanguay? Great signing of Cammy (a no-brainer really) and Gionta. Still not in love with Gomez and his salary. How about Samsonov? Laraque? But mostly Losing many, many good players for no return as UFAs. The list is too long to write, but those were very bad moves. let’s look at his draft record. PK awesome, Halak awesome. any other awesome  picks? You want me to name the busts? For me, one of the worst Gainey decisions, has to be his handling of Price and Halak. We all know the story and I won’t rehash, but BG had his head up his behind on that one. Maybe if he would have given Halak a chance against Philly or even Boston last year, or even against Toronto 3 years ago, things could have turned out better. Gainey was advertising that Halak was on the block 1 month before he left. That idea alone, makes it hard to take Gainey seriously. Imagine no Halak. Price would have been stoned by now, and the Habs would be on their 4th week of vacation.

So 100%, Bob did some nice things with the current version of the team. made some great personnel moves and chose a very capable coach, but let’s not bury our heads in the sand and think he’s this great GM. Over his whole Canadien track record he has done much more wrong than right. I am glad he finished off with some very key right moves, but I am also very glad he is gone. Knowing him, Halak and Markov would have been traded at the deadline. If Habs win the Cup, I will probably give him more credit for his moves, this season, but right now, we can say they were good and solid and right (outside of Halak/Price), but let’s not get carried away.

34. HabFanSince72 says:

Another Leaf troll.

35. Max_a_million says:

He offered Komisarek less than he was going to get on the market.  This is called loyalty.  If he gets Komisarek at a discount great, if he doesn’t he at least did not insult one of his players with not making an offer or lowballing him.

He gave Kovalev a tough decision and a small window, he didn’t want to be left without a chair when the music stops and he needed to be negotiating with all of the type of players he would be looking for so as to avoid coming away with nothing.  This is how these things work.  Any of our free agents we signed could have been snapped up by another team.  I am sure some of the guys he wanted were.  It’s fast, it’s furious, there is gambling, hedging, and bluffing involved.  Gainey ochestrated management 101 wonderfully.  He knew what he wanted, had a plan, and created this team with the parts he thought would work well together.  It certainly wasn’t an accident, and it certainly turned out quite well when everything gelled.

Yes they would definitely be singing a different tune if it all failed (possibly it could have failed through no fault of management with chemistry and injury issues).  That is part of the game, and makes Gainey’s work that much more impressive.

We were fortunate to get much healthier come playoff time, and the third center in Dominc Moore was just such a gaping hole they were able to fill.  I can now see why they jumped so hard and fast to get him early.  Good for management.

I am very proud of our team.

36. Got2BHabs says:

Fact is, we don’t know what our lasts years team could have done because Bob wouldn’t get off his ego long enough to give Jaro a chance. Could have been a whole different ball game last year if Jaro could have been given the chance to steal a game for the Habs. Players play differently in front of a goaltender they have confidence in. Fact is, one of the biggest keys to this years success is the guy we had all along that was never given a shot. This could have happened last year and it’s mostly on Bob’s shoulders that it didn’t IMHO.

You’re not disagreeing. You’re telling him not to. That’s Stalinism. Maybe you should change your avatar to a pic of him instead of whoever it is you currently have.

38. Rob says:

okay, game 7…two weeks from the day we knocked out Washington.  That means everyone needs to do their best to recreate whatever their circumstances were around that glorious day.  in saying that….Calgary Hab fans, it’s time to do our part and unite again.  kempie and Timo were there with me last time.  Anyone else in the area that wants to join, let’s do this!!  We’ll do it at Shanks Crowfoot again, so if you want to join up and try to send as much positive energy towards our beloved Habs, drop me an email (rob_eats_rice@hotmail.com) or just come down to Shanks Crowfoot.  i’ll be there by 4!

LET’S GO BOYS!!!

39. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

crazy.

40. Max_a_million says:

Crap my boss isn’t supposed to be looking … no one tells me these things.

41. TOEmastro says:

Tickets still available in the ‘burg , Bell centre sells out in LESS THAN AN HOUR!!!!

42. forskis says:

I do agree with you that every year, whether the team is good or bad, first seed or 16th seed, the goal should be to win the Cup.  Whether it be with young prospects, free-agents, old guys, young guys, whatever, the goal each and every year is to win the Cup.  Whether it is six teams or thirty teams or twenty-four teams, the goal is the Cup.  Whether it be park the bus, the trap, firewagon hockey, run-and-gun, the goal should still be to win the Cup.  That is how you stay competitive.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

43. Bob Barker says:

Regardless of what could have happened, Gainey deserves plenty of credit for what this team has been able to accomplish. As Boone pointed out, so many of the players he brought in have made huge contributions in the the playoffs.

All you can do as a GM is put together a team that has the potential to succeed. Obviously he didn’t target only the players that signed here, no GM does that because there’s no guarantee they’ll sign.

But looking at the team, you can see he targeted determined, hardworking players. Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Moen, Gill, Spacek, etc.

He left Montreal set at the goaltending position with Halak and Price. Drafted Subban, who looks to be a franchise d-man in the 2nd round.

Brought in a veteran defensive-minded coach in JM.

Of course, he’s made plenty of mistakes as well. The point is the team is where it is largely because of the positive moves Gainey made during his tenure. In the end, this team is a lot better than the one he inherited.

44. Mr.Hazard says:

Of course! I am waiting anxiously as well! It’s weird, though, because I’m used to having nothing else to do but wait. Now, it’s almost here and the Habs are still playing.

I am a Federer fan, but he’s accomplished all I’d hoped he would accomplish already, so I am at rest with his situation.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

45. jbroderi says:

I won’t knock the K-man, but I like Gomer.  If Gomer was making 5 million a year, he wouldn’t get half of the negativity directed at him.  His contract is bloated, but his experience as a winner and play-making abilities put him ahead of Koivu in my mind.  Again, just a fans opinion, with no disrespect to Koivu!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

46. jbroderi says:

gainey deserves credit, for sure, but the players are the ones who are earning their stripes and our respect.

How many people, and please admit it, thought that Gill was the dumbest signing ever??  We have to give the players the bulk of the credit.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

47. Chris says:

Same here.  Now that he has the Grand Slam record, I’m content to watch some of the young up and comers.  But Federer’s all-encompassing game was a thing of beauty:  excellent on all surfaces (were it not for Nadal, he would easily have won the Grand Slam a couple of times), proficient at every shot, a great server and a great returner.

We really haven’t seen a more complete tennis player in a long, long time.  People try to diminish his greatness by pointing to the lack of championships won by his peers.  But that ignores the fact that Federer wasn’t all that interested in sharing or letting his guard down against players not named Nadal for something like 5 years.

He is what Marat Safin could have been if Safin ever got his head screwed on straight!  :)  Both guys started out tempermental brats, but one grew into one of the classiest professional athletes of our era, while the other made a nice career punctuated with some crazy outbursts (still loved Safin, for all his warts!).

It took 5 years to rebuild this franchise from the new personnel  in the scouting dept. the draft, through to the minor affiliate  teams. New coaches and personnel throughout the organization. Then new players and moves that have not even taken effect as of yet.

As far as Savard as GM. For me he just ran an old boys club.

49. K-hab25 says:

There’s no doubt your conspiracy theory doesn’t hold water, there’s definitely NO doubt about that. Halak had 28 of his 43 starts before Bob left in early Feb. He would still be the man right now whether Bob stayed or not. This BS theory is based solely on the 2nd half of last season when Bob was the coach and stubbornly stuck with Price when he was struggling, instead of going with Halak. However Carboneau and Martin made there own decisions on who played, not Gainey. He decided which 2 goalies were on the team, but Carboneau and Martin decided who played, period.

50. Chris says:

Nonetheless, New Jersey has won three Stanley Cups since we won our last Cup.  They had another trip to the finals in that time.

New Jersey has not missed the playoffs since 1995-96…that’s an impressive run, and makes their top three seed all the more impressive.  The 10th overall pick they received in 1996 was their only other top 10 pick aside from Scott Niedermayer (3rd overall in 1991) since 1989.

Whether they sell out their home games or play in a swamp is irrelevant to the discussion.  Their management have figured out a way to contend year after year after year.

51. jbroderi says:

hahahahahahaha. that is quite funny.  If he looks like his picture, it’s confirmed :)

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

52. jbroderi says:

wasn’t me.  If you think the habs chances this year are bad, last year, there was nothing positive to look at.  you are right.  We have to judge over the next 2 to 3 years.  I think the biggest issue for gainey’s downfall (i use that term loosely) was the lack of making good draft choices.  If they had some of the carters, getslafs, Girouxs, etc, etc, he wouldn’t have had to blow the team up last summer.  I think we need a couple more good junior scouts, and that will go along way in helping PG do a good job

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

53. VancouverHab says:

Man up, Gainey-bashers: the statement “This is Bob Gainey’s success” is pure logic–arguing otherwise is self-refuting.

For example, “Jacques Martin made the player decisions” — OK, well Bob Gainey gets 100% of the credit since it was his decision to hire Martin.

There is no escape from the iron laws of logic: the man who is responsible for the hiring decisions gets the credit (or the blame) for the outcome of those decisions. Accept this, or declare yourself merely irrational.

All the players that came, all the players that went, all the coaches that went and that came: all of this is Bob Gainey since he made or oversaw all the personnel decisions. We love the current team, ergo we love Bob Gainey for creating this team.

Live with it.

54. Stuck_in_To. says:

Boone! By all means, kudos to Gainey — and I would like to say I never threw him under the bus — but Gomez for Koivu? No. Koivu would only add more to this team. Love having Gomez and hate not having Koivu.

Other than that, Cammy replaces L’Artiste and Gionta for Tanguay. Come on!

55. soperman says:

It took some time, but BG was right.  That is why he gets paid to run an NHL team and we post on blogs when our bosses aren’t looking.

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

56. VancouverHab says:

Greatness does mean never making mistakes: greatness means recognising and correcting one’s mistakes.

Or, as Winston Churchill put it, “War is a series of disasters leading to victory.”

57. tricolortrue says:

but you’re a moron.

58. tricolortrue says:

not nice to talk about yourself like that.

59. K-hab25 says:

He’s Mr. Tank. The guy who claimed we could never compete with teams like PIT and WAS until we tank for 4 or 5 years straght. He, like Chris in his post above, refuse to give Gainey any credit so they say it’s all Halak and Bob didn’t want him anyway. To me, thats horses**t. Cammy is the leading goal scorer, Georges and Gill are the best defensive D pairing in the playoffs and Gomez, Gionta, Spacek and Moen bring the type of leadership that wins playoff games. All these players, except Georges, were brought in this summer after Bob got an upclose look at the the “team”, if you can call them that, from last year. As far as Halak goes the coach chooses who starts, not the gm. When Bob was behind the bench last year he stubbornly stuck with Price, but Carboneau and Martin made there own decisions on who played despite what the conspiracy theorists think. Halak had 28 of his 43 starts this year before Bob left in early FEB. So the “Halak wouldn’t have gotten his chance if Bob was still in charge” opinion doesn’t hold water and is based in fantasy, not reality. People like Chris Hardhabits and there Bob hatin brothern will stick by the “it’s just Halak stealing games” company line because then they don’t have to admit the team Bob put together is actually alot better than they said it would be. Oh and for there information in this series Fleury’s #’s are almost identical to Halaks. So for the series to be tied at 3 and for us to have almost twice as many 5 on 5 goals against the champs, the rest of the team must be pretty damn good aswell, not just Halak.

60. avatar_58 says:

So if making 1st doesn’t make you a good team, going far in the playoffs doesn’t make you a good team, beating the top teams doesn’t make a good team….

What is a good team? One that drafts high????

61. Chris says:

Hey, I’m totally happy that Roland Garros is just around the corner.  Although Federer doesn’t look like he’s going to have enough to hold off Nadal this year.  Not that I mind…they are both really classy players!  :)

62. RetroMikey says:

I criticized this team all season, perhapse I was wrong but when the team turns it around in the playoffs it tells me that those 82 games we played in the regular season are nothing more than a memory, another page in the diary.

Is this what the NHL has come to?  Float all season, and give it all out in the playoffs for the players?  No wonder Martin was scratching his head night and day during the regular season.

Credit is partially to Bobby,his 6 year play in his final year is paying dividends but I praise Jacques Martin who I have admired all season with his coaching and knows how to get the most out of players.  The guy is a take control guy since he chewed out Sergei at practice in the beginning of the season.

This is Martin’s team, he advised Bobby to go after Gill, Cammallerri  and others to build his team which he saw fit to his style.

1 more game please, 1 more game,  If there is a God, may he strike at the Mellon Centre in our favour, that’s all I ask.

Then mission accomplised partially.  We make it to the Conference finals but winning the Cup is the most absolute task for this team.  I don’t know if we are going to get better next season but that’s a different story, let’s enjoy this playoff run.

Our team is resilient just like our Bulldogs, hard working, grit and character and we never give up.

That’s the team I have been preaching all season, hustle, hustle  and the the team shall be rewarded.

The goal is to win the Cup and I hope the players know they have something good this year and continue on in their quest this year for the ultimate prize.

Let’s do it guys!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

63. Chris says:

Very much agree with you on this post.  Well said…this was what I was aiming to come up with below, but you did a much nicer job!

64. Chris says:

Hey, don’t get me wrong….I like turtles as much as the next guy.

But I’m pretty sure that a turtle wasn’t what Gainey had in mind.  He was more into thoroughbreds, if you recall!  ;)

65. Chuck says:

No, he hasn’t. He’s been fantastic at times, and at others, not so much. He was having a great season last year up until his ankle injury, but really hasn’t been able to consistently rebound to his true form since then. Part of the problem is that the team hasn’t really put him in a position to succeed, starting with hurrying him back from his injury so that he could play in the All Star Game.

This year he started with two great games, and his reward? Benched in favour of Halak. That’s not exactly a move designed to build confidence in a goalie who’s trying to get his groove back.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

66. punkster says:

So “turtle” in the most positive sense of the word. I’m ok with that particularly when, as many of us agree, this team is in general mediocre, a bubble team, a .500 team all season. They have to play to their strengths today no matter what those strengths may be. So maybe next season we get a couple of strong wingers and/or a number one big centre and can play a more offensive style. Cool. For now we go with what works. Hot goaltending, sacrificial shot blocking, squeezing out the opposition’s big guns and squeaking out victories whenever possible. I’m totally ok with this for now :)

FEEL THE PRIDE!

67. Propwash says:

Gainey signed players with a proven track record in the playoffs. What more can you ask for? The team made the negative nancy analysts and fans pretty much eat their words. As the old saying goes, “the ends justify the means”. Its game 7 tomorrow, and if/when we beat the pens, I think the team will make the finals.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

68. Habalisous says:

As one who was pissing on the efforts of Bob as GM….I appologise..thank you thank you thank you!

I have watched this team since I was born in 69 and can’t remember a season I have been more excited and emotional on what is going on.

I keep thinking it’s going to end but then they win and win and win and win.

I love this frickin team!

THANK YOU BOB….THANK YOU!

”You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” – Wayne Gretzky!”

69. forskis says:

The following rumors:

1)  The Habs needed a big center last season:  Lecavalier and other stuff for Price and other stuff;

2)  This year’s team needed scoring:  Jeff Carter and other stuff for Halak and other stuff;

He does not seem too attached to either goalie to me.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

70. forskis says:

But you must admit that Price has not had a very good/consistent past 18 months.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

71. forskis says:

You are absolutely correct that that Philly game should not be held against Halak…it was only mentioned because some of the Halak-guys said that Halak was given no chance to play against Philly that year…but yes, throwing him in cold after two months was not the ideal thing to do but Carbonneau had no choice, he had to turn the tide somehow, usually the goalie switch is the first thing to try.

As far as I am concerned, I agree with you that Halak’s playoff history started this year.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

72. Chris says:

I’m not sure that he has had to adhere to that style, but he’s been sticking with it because it’s worked.  For example, he was heavily over-playing his top two lines, to the point that they were just exhausted late in games.  It took him about 10 games to adjust, but since he’s moved to playing his 4 lines more, we’re seeing the Habs fade less in the third period.  If anything, I would say that they have been the better team in the third period of the past few games.

I agree too that he now has the team forechecking more aggressively, which is resulting in lots of turnovers.  Those turnovers are what are causing many of the Habs’ goals, such as the first goal last night by Cammalleri and the fourth goal by Lapierre.

Definitely agree with the last point, and I hope it is a lesson that has not been lost on Subban, who was at times in his junior career very guilty of playing an individual game instead of using his teammates, especially when his team fell behind.  He’s been playing excellent hockey, with minimal mistakes on the back end and showing the poise of a veteran.  The time in Hamilton really helped him…he is a much more mature and patient player now than the one that was tearing up the OHL last season.

73. avatar_58 says:

I have my Cammy jersey and I love it! Been pretty lucky so far. I also want a Subban jersey eventually.

74. K-hab25 says:

Actually I yell and clap my ass off with every save he makes. Just because I don’t think Price is a bust at 22 or that Halak is elite because he’s been great since the middle of DEC, doesn’t make me a hater like you. I for one don’t like it when posters unjustly and without facts put down certain players every chance they get. From now on I’ll just spew made up rumors or hatefull “opinions” with little facts, if any, to back up what I say. Like you. Will that make you feel better?

75. showey47 says:

Actually if gainey had his way, price would have been dealt for vinny at last summers draft. Which was his original plan before he traded for gomez. Kinda puts a big hole in the “gainey only wants to play price or gainey sees price as the future of the habs” theory doesn’t it?

76. K-hab25 says:

A. You don’t know if we would’ve made the playoffs or not. B. He try to trade Halak after he asked to be traded. C. He tried to trade him to PHI in the middle of DEC, Halak was 6-5 2.92 GAA .905 sv% at that time. D. According to Gainey PHI didn’t want to make the trade, so obviously you have an inflated opinion of Halak’s worth at that time.

Very well said.

78. Chris says:

And let’s not forget Andre Savard, under whom the seeds were planted for the rejuvenation that Gainey completed.  Andre Savard’s yeoman work in bailing out the boat that is the Montreal Canadiens made it possible for Bob Gainey to steer it in the right direction.

79. zamboni says:

I think I like Gainey more than your average Hab, but i’m getting sick of all the credit of this team always bouncing of Gainey, yes he is a class act and a a very intelligent loyal Hab, but we’ve got to start giving some credit to PG.

Let’s remeber that if Gainey had it his way, we wouldn’t be in the playoffs, instead we’d be thinking of who to draft in the second round for Philly’s pick that he would have gotten by trading Halak.

Let’s remember that he openly anounced that Halak was on the trading block.

PG on the other hand, the first thing he did was to anounce that Habs will be holding on to both goaltenders, he then went on to add a solid player to the roster in one named Moore.

I still love Gainey, but this song is getting too old.

80. The Teacher says:

Or maybe Gainey overestimated Halak’s value, or didn’t hmm.

Zamboni, if you are trying to give credit to PG for what the team that BOB GAINEY BUILT is doing, you seriously have a dislike for BG than cannot be overcome.

81. zamboni says:

Don’t let your inflated crush on Price cloud your judgement (I know it’s impossible)

Gainey’s announcement (Jan 6, 2010)

Halak’s record at the time 11-6

Price’s record at the time 10-18

Gainey was still adament that Price needed to carry this team until the day he resigned.

Enough said!

82. zamboni says:

Not at all, but him getting all the glory and none of the blame is not fair for the other GM who never gets mentioned.

83. K-hab25 says:

Wow you proved yourself to be dumber than I already thought you were. You posted a link from Jan, that says he tried to trade Halak the month before or DEC as I call it. You stated he tried to trade Halak to PHI, that happened in DEC. The only thing that he says in this article is Halak asked to be traded and if something comes along thats right for both parties he’s open to it. Learn to read douche.

If you read what he said you wouldn’t have made such a comment. Zamboni readily states that he has a huge appreciation for Gainey. Or perhaps you believe that BG is a sacred cow and untouchable?

Zamboni’s arguments are well thought out and well said. Why is it that when somebody articulately comes up with a good argument people must reosrt to ad hominem attacks? I’ll tell you why. Because Zamboni’s logic is solid in this case and you can’t rebut his argument so you therefore say that his ideas are driven by dislike. This is so disingenious and is very symptomatic of many posters here who run around attacking other posters.

PG came out and said he was keeping both goalies and BG openly put Halak on the block. Zamboni gives PG some credit and I agree that some is due. I personally credit the coaching staff and most importantly Halak and the rest of the leadership core. BG got the leadership core right but got the Halak/Price part wrong. Gainey did admirably however. These guys all year showed heart and in the playoffs have risen high and above expectations and are poised to go the Conference Finals. This is the team that Bob built, but he’s stepped aside and has passed the torch. He even stated the very same. Ask Gainey and he’d give PG credit probably more than Zamboni has and not just because he’s a classy guy but because it’s meritted.

85. VancouverHab says:

The Price – Halak debate is irrelevant to Bob Gainey having the credit for this glorious team (along with the work of the players themselves that he chose .)

The bottom line is that Gainey brought both goalies on board under his watch and they were still there when he stepped aside and ended his watch. That’s the fact: everything (what he allegedly tried to do or not to do) else is mere chatter. Gainey gets the credit for getting & keeping the two goalies that we have now.

“You can make up your own opinion, but you can’t make up your own logic.”

86. Duracell3 says:

I’d still rather have Saku.

87. HUDSONHAB says:

I’d like to take Saku’s heart and put it into #’s 57,46 et al.

….Hab4life….

88. habsguy92 says:

pretty much agree cept i dont think gomez is an upgrade.

..and
    then when you take salary hit into account. no way jose

BRING
    BACK SAK

89. habsguy92 says:

sorryy gomez isnt our best forward and there are tons out there that are cheaper and better.

90. mbplekfan says:

What Gainey did was recognize that a sickness had overcome his team, that his dressing room was broken and some bad influences were becoming leaders.

So he cleaned out Kovalev who wasnt helping the K brothers, he cleaned out Higgins who was forming a bar hopping group and he said goodbye to Tanguay and Koivu who were having career problems and adding no leadership. Komisarek was no big loss and has shown nothing in TO.

He brought in veterans with Stanley Cup experience and good work habits. People can slag Gomez’s contract but no-one can dispute that he is our best forward. Cammaleri, Gionta and Moen have been top notch improvements over the guys they replaced.

Gill is an awesome team leader and extremely stable on D. He’s not going to lead end to end rushes or score goals or fight, but he does his job well.

Leaving PK in the minors was probably the right decision but we sure could have used his offense after xmas.

Gainey blew up last years underachieving team and started over. This team is better.

91. The Cat says:

I personally dont see the mastermind angle (Gainey saw this, Gainey saw that) Its more like for every five hands of poker youre dealt; youre bound to have one good one.

92. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the back’n’forth whether (Hall Of Fame) Robert Gainey was a ‘genius’, competent OR incompetent GM will not stop as long as ALL of Us have the ‘freedom’ to express Our personal opinions

…the amount of Our Fans callin’ Bob a genius may be reduced a little IF We lose Game 7 against The Waddlers …those calling Bob incompetent obviously are not literate enough to understand the definition of the word ‘incompetent’

…Bob was in fact MORE than a ‘competent’ GM, …Bob Gainey above and beyond His day-to-day functions as the personnel decision-maker, was also the major-reason for the rehabilatation of The Montreal Canadiens to it’s Fan-base  …Bob Gainey after His return to Montreal from Dallas reinfused Our Franchise with It’s ‘Royal Jelly’, It’s ‘religion’ …it’s ‘sexiness’ …it’s ‘romance’ …not only among those that witnessed ‘The Glory Years’, but the countless New Generation of Habs’ Fans that only knew Our Past Greatness from Their parents or dated videos

…Bob Gainey, in the absence of Great Players over this past generation He became as much or more ‘The Face’ of Our Habs as Saku or that-pretender Kovalev

…I know for certain, it was Bob Gainey that brought Myself back as an ‘obsessed’ Hab Fan after years which I year after year increasingly kept sliding towards indifference

…Bob Gainey has made His share of questionable moves …which in retrospect to an ‘outsider’ has wasted or lost assets to Our Team …decision to not allow Carey Price to play a full-season in the AHL or not being more aware of protecting Him from being overwhelmed in the transition from small-town BC to the Sodom and Gomorrah that My beloved Montreal is for the naive

…don’t forget Sam Pollock drafted Mark Napier over Mike Bossy ! …there are 30 Teams today in the NHL, We live in the confines of the salary-cap era, Our Team is a cultural-icon of a Province and language-base unique to any other team in the NHL, making the Montreal Canadiens a Political Football among It’s Fans as much as just another athletic sport

…IT does NOT matter HOW We got here TODAY …We ARE here …in a sweet moment in time …The decisions that Got Us Here were MOSTLY those of Robert Gainey

…IF We feel THIS good today ? …Just think How We will Feel AFTER Game 7 against The Waddlers and CryBaby IF We WIN ??? …OR, please Lord !, The Stanley ???

…just remember Who The Heart Surgeon was !

…I KNOW I will

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Given their playoff performances I am glad Cammy, Gio and Gomez were brought in. They and Plex are leading the charge on the ice and in TOI.

That being said I still wont put it all on BG’s shoulders. Even he said, implicitly, that it would take another 5 years to set things straight and that’s why he stepped down; because he didn’t feel he had it in him to commit to another 5 years.

I’d rather give credit to where it’s due. Halak and company. These guys along with the coaching staff are playing the type of hockey I envisioned when all these changes were made last summer. I am just glad the put it all came together at the most opportune of times.

94. VancouverHab says:

Great post, Hab-in-Surrey. I like the implicit rebuke in your assessment against people who apply the Standard of Perfection to Bob Gainey. I’ve been repeating myself that greatness is not the absence of mistakes (since no human being is perfect) but the ability to recognise & correct or learn from inevitable mistakes.

95. B says:

Are you really trying to compare Gainey to Sam Pollock? That’s a bit over the top.

96. Hammer says:

I quess I have always seen BG differently than many on this site. Being one of the “older folks” on this site having watched the habs since 1966, I always saw BG as a player who bled Habs, a person who was as professional on the ice as any player i have ever seen and one who put the team in front of himself 100% of the time. When he made decisons as a GM you KNEW that he thought of the good of the team. This probably cost him friendships, and many nasty comments on sites like this. But one thing is for sure, he checked his ego at the door and was always 1000% Montreal Canadien.

97. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a commentariat’s Redux: “…the back’n’forth whether (Hall Of Fame) Robert Gainey was a ‘genius’,
    competent OR incompetent GM will not stop as long as ALL of Us have the
    ‘freedom’ to express Our personal opinions”

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

The most important thing is that if we do disagree that we do so respectfully.

Unfortunately many posters here haven’t gotten that memo.

99. sam says:

man, if everyone could be so grateful for Mr. Gainey’s work. we knew people had to calm the f. down this season. injuries, new players, new coaches, new system, etc. thanks for singing his praises, Mike. now if only more people in the spotlight could thank him for this team.

in Bob we trust. (always.)

100. Captain aHab says:

Goose. Bumps.

Smurfs no more…

I ripped BG all year for putting this team together … i started early too , some time around July 1st.  Not that I wanted to keep Kovi, Tanguay, or Koivu ( i did want to keep Komisarek tho ) … but, I for one didnt think that tossing a ton of $$ to a bunch of players was the way to build a team.

For 82 games I was right … i mean, c’mon, we were inconsistent, we lost games we thought were easy wins … we needed 1 point to make the playoffs and we lost our last 3 games, incl. Carolina and the hated TML .. but, like I said earlier, I underestimated the will to win of these guys.  I dont know if BG had any idea of how things would unfold … it would be arrogant of me to think he had no idea, but, I think even this run has him a little surprised.

Nonetheless, and this is my point finally, the one thing I have continually stated, is that to me your goal SHOULD BE to win the cup, not just make the playoffs … the past month is the exact reason why.  Its just an amazing feeling to see our Habs make a run … i think we can all agree on that.

24 Cups's picture

Well said, Peter.  I’m in line right behind you (I look pretty good with egg on my face).  There was absolutely no evidence (right up to the end of the schedule) that this was going to happen.  In fact, our team backed into the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row.

I’m not sure if it’s just a one year ride but it’s the best Hab playoff hockey I’ve witnessed since ’93.  I can’t wait for Wednesday night.

102. HabsFanInVictoria says:

In this teams defence, they were a new group (we all knew that) and they were injured (they still are).  It takes time for teams to gel and they did.  As for the pieces to the puzzle, they were all in the box, they just weren’t put in place yet.

103. JF says:

I agree up to a point.  For most of the season, the Habs were barely in the hunt for a playoff spot.  Granted it took time for the guys to learn to play together, granted there were serious injuries to key players, the team was still unable to play consistently well, would usually follow up a strong outing with a mediocre one, and couldn’t prolong a winning streak or cut short a losing one.  Things started to change after the Olympic break, when we had a longer-than-usual good stretch, followed, however, by another bad one.  But one thing this team didn’t do all season was quit, and I think that character started to show through more and more.  Think of the injuries, and of how other players raised their game and gave more to compensate.  Compare that with the disarray of last year’s team and how, after Markov went down, we didn’t win a single game.  Think of the Anahein game, when we were down 2 goals with 90 seconds to play.

I think the reason no one saw this coming is that the key ingredients in the Habs’ current success are character, commitment, and hard work, and those are qualities that don’t make as immediate an impact as talent.  We don’t have superstars, we haven’t scored a spectacular number of goals this season or won a ton of games, but one thing posters have been praising all season is the team’s character and no-quit attitude.  This was clearly an essential ingredient Gainey was looking for in his free-agent signings and perhaps one of the reasons team management was content to go through the entire season without naming a captain.  Gainey knew he had brought in a bunch of leaders; half-a-dozen players have at different times stood out as captain material.

So, although no one could have seen this coming, it is not altogether mind-boggling.  It is somehow in keeping with the team’s character.  We have gotten better, and I think we’re still getting better.

104. coachdoug says:

I feel like I am at an AA meeting…but I have to confess that I was critical of Gainey the last two years also and I am happy to see it all coming together…I have said all year that this team is way better than last years and they have heart which is really showing now…

I do think Halak should have been number one sooner but I understand Gainey wanting to see Price be successful…heck we all wanted to see it…I also think Gomez is a great 5 Million dollar center…but what the heck is two million of Cap space…a lot of teams have players way more overpaid…Hartnell, Lucic come to mind…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

105. jbroderi says:

I always said that Gainey did quite the job this summer, considering that a lot of these signings were made in the heat of the moment on July 1st.  Who knows if this was plan a, b, or c?  No one does.  You can’t always go out and get exactly who you want, they might want to go elsewhere.  The fact that he not only got skilled players, but reshaped this team with winners and team guys in a matter of days is an accomplishment in itself.  Maybe Gainey got dealt some lemons from certain players refusing montreal as a home and certain GMs from finalizing trades, but the lemonade BG made sure hits the spot, don’t it!!!

keep her goin’ boys!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

106. forskis says:

Oh dear Mr. Boone…you are giving credit to Mr. Gainey, the traffic here will jump now starting with people listing the good moves and bad moves by Mr. Gainey…followed by his conspiracy against Halak and how the team did better after he left and then it will degenerate into a Price vs. Halak thing…

BTW…for those saying the Habs backed into the playoffs…that is not exactly correct:  they needed a point to get in and they got it; to back into the playoffs, it would have required the Habs to wait for the outcome of the Flyers-Rangers game on the last Sunday of the season.  So technically, the Habs earned their way in, not pretty, but they did what THEY needed to do without having to worry about the result of the Sunday game.

Personally, this is how I see things during the Gainey tenure:

1)  The five-year plan…things were supposed to culminate in Year 5…if it worked out, re-sign most/all the players, if it did not, then let them go (thus the ten free-agents) and let ownership decide if Gainey gets to continue….and they let him continue;

2)  The shopping spree:  maybe Gainey built this new team not to make the playoffs, but to PERFORM in them…maybe to him, it did not matter what seeding they got as long as they made it because most of his new players were playoff veterans and the whole point of the regular season is to MAKE the playoffs and win the Cup…this team made it, not pretty, but they made it and now they are performing…

Any move a GM makes will be second-guessed and re-analyzed in hindsight…Gainey had an idea and he stuck with it…HOWEVER, this new team cannot be considered better than that of the five-year plan until it makes the 3rd round…and it will not be considered a success unless it wins the Cup.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

107. HabsFanInVictoria says:

BOONE!  Thank you for finally saying it! :)

108. jbroderi says:

cammy and gio don’t go down in the year, likely cammy gets 40 and gio gets 35 goals.

lots of what ifs, this or that, but we are here now, and i think we are picking up the scent we lost 17 years ago!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

109. likehoy says:

what about pouliot over latendresse? maybe not.

but i have to say i would take chris higgins over tom pyatt any time of day. higgins has offensive potential ,maybe not 27 goals again, but higgins at least can shoot the puck and maybe put in 10 in a year. tom pyatt has the worst shot on the canadiens and has very little offensive instincts other than skate fast.

is tom pyatt a better fit for the canadiens right now? yes. a rookie who just wants to prove himself is better than a veteran leader who forgot himself, but if i were building a team on paper, i would prefer higgins over pyatt.

on the other front of travis moen and TK…i would probably take TK over moen. I just haven’t seen moen do anything TK didn’t do…and i get the feeling TK was more committed to the habs than moen is now. but i would have loved to have both on the team. it’s safe to say TK was the main component of that lats – laps tk line as both had terrible seasons without TK.

- What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

110. avatar_58 says:

We’re winning and this guy is preferring players not even in the playoff mix…

111. likehoy says:

i’m just saying, people are making too big of a deal about travis moen and tom pyatt. they’ve been decent, but they’re all interchangeable.

the real differnece is made with the big 3, dominic moore, and our defense.

112. Captain aHab says:

Lats ended the year with 2 goals in his last 10 games, which is pretty much what his pace was with the Habs. Methinks he might revert to Don’t-Give-A-Shiot Lats next year.

113. Habscore says:

Well … said, Mr. Boone!!

That video was a great compilation of this season’s best moments… very good times! Wow..AK46’s celebration is the funniest part.lolol

– YES HABS CAN!! –

114. sholi2000.com says:

Awesome read, thanks.  And to those who don’t agree, you’re entitled to an opinion….even when you’re wrong. :)

They Call Me Shane

115. Shublips says:

That was simply amazing!  The Habs are really playing like a team and winning as a result.  THIS reminds me of 93 more than any other year.

Yes, that Habs have a long way to go, but they are coming together at the right time and that is what winning in the playoffs is all about!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

116. blacy says:

Thank you, Mike Boone, for that great piece on Gainey.