Take a bow, Mr. Gainey … wherever you are.

You have the gratitude of Montreal hockey fans – even those who doubted you – for:

• Scott Gomez instead of Saku Koivu

• Mike Cammalleri instead of Alex Tanguay

• Brian Gionta instead of L’Artiste

• Tom Pyatt instead of Christopher Higgins

• Jaro Spacek, Hal Gill and Paul Mara instead of Mike Komisarek, Francis Bouillon and Mathieu Dandenault

• Marc-André Bergeron instead of Mathieu Schneider

Thank you, also, for Jacques “I don’t have a problem with calmness” Martin.

Thanks for letting P.K. Subban learn pro hockey away from the spotlight until he was ready.

And for kicking BGL out of a tight, proud, hard-working room.

We’ll also credit Gainey, at least in part, for Travis Moen and Dominic Moore – BIG upgrades on Tom Kostopoulos and Steve Bégin.

The sun is shining in Montreal and everyone is smiling.

Bob Gainey has no influence on the weather, but what a playoff team he put together.

tFlVhsXeZVY

1. Hockey Socks says:

I bought a Gomez t-shirt just hours before Game 7 of the WSH series. I might buy a Cammy or Gorges one now.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

No, but this is a thread to praise a Hab great by the name of Bob Gainey.

If you want to keep bashing him I’m sure they’d love to hear what you have to say over on pension plan puppets.

3. HabFanSince72 says:

Halak did get a chance against Philly two years ago.

4. Chris says:

Junior scouts would DEFINITELY be an area that the Habs need to upgrade, in my opinion, particularly those in Western Canada in Ontario.  Our forays into those hockey hotbeds don’t usually end all that well for the Habs, historically.

Pro scouting is another area where some help is needed.  It has not been particularly great, although I do give them some credit on the Josh Gorges acquisition which has worked out well for the Habs.

And something some of us were talking about the other day…the organization perhaps needs to re-think its “Draft the best player possible, regardless of need” philosphy.  I don’t want to see them starting to draft big power forwards with every pick like they did in the 1990’s…that was an unmitigated disaster.

But I DO want to see them start drafting the best players available that fit a defensively responsible game plan.  That shift, drafting players that fit a system, means that you necessarily limit the style of coach that you can hire should Martin ever need to be replaced.  But it also means that you perhaps don’t have to throw out half your organizational assets because they no longer fit the organizational gameplan.  The loss of assets for little return was the one critical short-coming of Gainey’s that I have never been able to completely forgive.  I don’t mind him changing directions, as he seemed to do this past summer.  I just mind when it is done last-minute, because you lower your chance of getting fair return on the organization’s investment in the development of its young players.

The organizations that I admire most in professional sports right now are teams like San Jose, Detroit and New Jersey in the NHL, San Antonio and Utah in the NBA and New England and Pittsburgh in the NFL.  Those organizations have identities.  In some cases, it is a boring defensive style, in others it is a pretty aggressive offensive style.  But in all cases, they are consistently in the mix because they pay a lot of attention to personnel matters…they choose their players with the utmost care, and they are generally patient, giving those players a few kicks at the can.  And if you get enough kicks at the can, Lady Luck will turn her eye your way eventually…and luck is the one ingredient that is absolutely necessary in any championship run.

5. Merc_Roswell says:

I agree with your points ManApart, I prefer the balanced objective view….I agree, this is what Gainey signed all these role players for, their ability to perform under pressure and get the job done…..way better than the guys they let go (except Koivu who has a special place in my Hab heart). Helps that they have a goalie who is gaining confidence and players who have confidence in him. Too many a night during the regular season both Carey and Halak were fed to the wolves but that is another story…
    It would be really neat to see a comprehensive review of all the GMs over the last ten years ort so and see how they have fared. Would be difficult since they don’t all last 10 years so maybe a review of the team then. I am positive every GM has their share of dumb moves (easy for me to say, hindsight is 20-20). I wonder how the Mtl. Canadiens and Gainey would match up then compared to all the other teams.

6. Max_a_million says:

If you want a Nordique jersey I will foot the bill … please no more habs.

I have Cammelleri because I cheated and got a good used Tanguay and had my girlfriend change the name tape.  She is good with such things and I am cheap.  We actually made three Cammelleri’s and 3 Giontas out of Higgins and Tanguay jerseys, and bought one brand new Gomez to top it off for our family of sevens trip to watch the Canadiens in Florida.

7. Got2BHabs says:

I’m a Leaf troll because I thought Jaro should have been given a chance last year? Ya that makes sense!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    “This kid is going to win a Stanley Cup one day and hopefully I’ll be with him when that happens” – Saku Koivu

8. ManApart says:

This team has really come out and shown a lot of character and have done much better than anyone could have imagined. Gainey deserves credit for using all the free cap space and signing character guys that mostly give bang for the buck. Guys who answer the bell. He was right in replacing most of the players last off season. However, Boone and others make me laugh, in saying that BG was a genius to get rid of so and so, when he was the one who brought them all in to begin with. Anyone remember the last 5 years? Great on BG for kicking Laraque off the team. That is true, but he’s the one who signed him to a ridiculous 3 year, 4.5 million contract to begin with!! You want to heap praise on him for giving Subban time? He made the right decision. But what about Lats? What about Max Pac? What about SK74? What about the montrous debacle named Price? Everyone loved the Gorges trade. Rightfully so. What about Ribiero? What about Tanguay? Great signing of Cammy (a no-brainer really) and Gionta. Still not in love with Gomez and his salary. How about Samsonov? Laraque? But mostly Losing many, many good players for no return as UFAs. The list is too long to write, but those were very bad moves. let’s look at his draft record. PK awesome, Halak awesome. any other awesome  picks? You want me to name the busts? For me, one of the worst Gainey decisions, has to be his handling of Price and Halak. We all know the story and I won’t rehash, but BG had his head up his behind on that one. Maybe if he would have given Halak a chance against Philly or even Boston last year, or even against Toronto 3 years ago, things could have turned out better. Gainey was advertising that Halak was on the block 1 month before he left. That idea alone, makes it hard to take Gainey seriously. Imagine no Halak. Price would have been stoned by now, and the Habs would be on their 4th week of vacation.

So 100%, Bob did some nice things with the current version of the team. made some great personnel moves and chose a very capable coach, but let’s not bury our heads in the sand and think he’s this great GM. Over his whole Canadien track record he has done much more wrong than right. I am glad he finished off with some very key right moves, but I am also very glad he is gone. Knowing him, Halak and Markov would have been traded at the deadline. If Habs win the Cup, I will probably give him more credit for his moves, this season, but right now, we can say they were good and solid and right (outside of Halak/Price), but let’s not get carried away.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Another Leaf troll.

10. Max_a_million says:

He offered Komisarek less than he was going to get on the market.  This is called loyalty.  If he gets Komisarek at a discount great, if he doesn’t he at least did not insult one of his players with not making an offer or lowballing him.

He gave Kovalev a tough decision and a small window, he didn’t want to be left without a chair when the music stops and he needed to be negotiating with all of the type of players he would be looking for so as to avoid coming away with nothing.  This is how these things work.  Any of our free agents we signed could have been snapped up by another team.  I am sure some of the guys he wanted were.  It’s fast, it’s furious, there is gambling, hedging, and bluffing involved.  Gainey ochestrated management 101 wonderfully.  He knew what he wanted, had a plan, and created this team with the parts he thought would work well together.  It certainly wasn’t an accident, and it certainly turned out quite well when everything gelled.

Yes they would definitely be singing a different tune if it all failed (possibly it could have failed through no fault of management with chemistry and injury issues).  That is part of the game, and makes Gainey’s work that much more impressive.

We were fortunate to get much healthier come playoff time, and the third center in Dominc Moore was just such a gaping hole they were able to fill.  I can now see why they jumped so hard and fast to get him early.  Good for management.

I am very proud of our team.

11. Got2BHabs says:

Fact is, we don’t know what our lasts years team could have done because Bob wouldn’t get off his ego long enough to give Jaro a chance. Could have been a whole different ball game last year if Jaro could have been given the chance to steal a game for the Habs. Players play differently in front of a goaltender they have confidence in. Fact is, one of the biggest keys to this years success is the guy we had all along that was never given a shot. This could have happened last year and it’s mostly on Bob’s shoulders that it didn’t IMHO.

12. Rob says:

okay, game 7…two weeks from the day we knocked out Washington.  That means everyone needs to do their best to recreate whatever their circumstances were around that glorious day.  in saying that….Calgary Hab fans, it’s time to do our part and unite again.  kempie and Timo were there with me last time.  Anyone else in the area that wants to join, let’s do this!!  We’ll do it at Shanks Crowfoot again, so if you want to join up and try to send as much positive energy towards our beloved Habs, drop me an email (rob_eats_rice@hotmail.com) or just come down to Shanks Crowfoot.  i’ll be there by 4!

LET’S GO BOYS!!!

13. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

crazy.

14. Max_a_million says:

Crap my boss isn’t supposed to be looking … no one tells me these things.

15. TOEmastro says:

Tickets still available in the ‘burg , Bell centre sells out in LESS THAN AN HOUR!!!!

16. forskis says:

I do agree with you that every year, whether the team is good or bad, first seed or 16th seed, the goal should be to win the Cup.  Whether it be with young prospects, free-agents, old guys, young guys, whatever, the goal each and every year is to win the Cup.  Whether it is six teams or thirty teams or twenty-four teams, the goal is the Cup.  Whether it be park the bus, the trap, firewagon hockey, run-and-gun, the goal should still be to win the Cup.  That is how you stay competitive.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

17. Bob Barker says:

Regardless of what could have happened, Gainey deserves plenty of credit for what this team has been able to accomplish. As Boone pointed out, so many of the players he brought in have made huge contributions in the the playoffs.

All you can do as a GM is put together a team that has the potential to succeed. Obviously he didn’t target only the players that signed here, no GM does that because there’s no guarantee they’ll sign.

But looking at the team, you can see he targeted determined, hardworking players. Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Moen, Gill, Spacek, etc.

He left Montreal set at the goaltending position with Halak and Price. Drafted Subban, who looks to be a franchise d-man in the 2nd round.

Brought in a veteran defensive-minded coach in JM.

Of course, he’s made plenty of mistakes as well. The point is the team is where it is largely because of the positive moves Gainey made during his tenure. In the end, this team is a lot better than the one he inherited.

18. Mr.Hazard says:

Of course! I am waiting anxiously as well! It’s weird, though, because I’m used to having nothing else to do but wait. Now, it’s almost here and the Habs are still playing.

I am a Federer fan, but he’s accomplished all I’d hoped he would accomplish already, so I am at rest with his situation.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

19. jbroderi says:

I won’t knock the K-man, but I like Gomer.  If Gomer was making 5 million a year, he wouldn’t get half of the negativity directed at him.  His contract is bloated, but his experience as a winner and play-making abilities put him ahead of Koivu in my mind.  Again, just a fans opinion, with no disrespect to Koivu!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

20. jbroderi says:

gainey deserves credit, for sure, but the players are the ones who are earning their stripes and our respect.

How many people, and please admit it, thought that Gill was the dumbest signing ever??  We have to give the players the bulk of the credit.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

21. K-hab25 says:

There’s no doubt your conspiracy theory doesn’t hold water, there’s definitely NO doubt about that. Halak had 28 of his 43 starts before Bob left in early Feb. He would still be the man right now whether Bob stayed or not. This BS theory is based solely on the 2nd half of last season when Bob was the coach and stubbornly stuck with Price when he was struggling, instead of going with Halak. However Carboneau and Martin made there own decisions on who played, not Gainey. He decided which 2 goalies were on the team, but Carboneau and Martin decided who played, period.

22. jbroderi says:

hahahahahahaha. that is quite funny.  If he looks like his picture, it’s confirmed :)

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

23. jbroderi says:

wasn’t me.  If you think the habs chances this year are bad, last year, there was nothing positive to look at.  you are right.  We have to judge over the next 2 to 3 years.  I think the biggest issue for gainey’s downfall (i use that term loosely) was the lack of making good draft choices.  If they had some of the carters, getslafs, Girouxs, etc, etc, he wouldn’t have had to blow the team up last summer.  I think we need a couple more good junior scouts, and that will go along way in helping PG do a good job

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

24. VancouverHab says:

Man up, Gainey-bashers: the statement “This is Bob Gainey’s success” is pure logic–arguing otherwise is self-refuting.

For example, “Jacques Martin made the player decisions” — OK, well Bob Gainey gets 100% of the credit since it was his decision to hire Martin.

There is no escape from the iron laws of logic: the man who is responsible for the hiring decisions gets the credit (or the blame) for the outcome of those decisions. Accept this, or declare yourself merely irrational.

All the players that came, all the players that went, all the coaches that went and that came: all of this is Bob Gainey since he made or oversaw all the personnel decisions. We love the current team, ergo we love Bob Gainey for creating this team.

Live with it.

25. Stuck_in_To. says:

Boone! By all means, kudos to Gainey — and I would like to say I never threw him under the bus — but Gomez for Koivu? No. Koivu would only add more to this team. Love having Gomez and hate not having Koivu.

Other than that, Cammy replaces L’Artiste and Gionta for Tanguay. Come on!

26. soperman says:

It took some time, but BG was right.  That is why he gets paid to run an NHL team and we post on blogs when our bosses aren’t looking.

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

27. tricolortrue says:

but you’re a moron.

28. tricolortrue says:

not nice to talk about yourself like that.

29. K-hab25 says:

He’s Mr. Tank. The guy who claimed we could never compete with teams like PIT and WAS until we tank for 4 or 5 years straght. He, like Chris in his post above, refuse to give Gainey any credit so they say it’s all Halak and Bob didn’t want him anyway. To me, thats horses**t. Cammy is the leading goal scorer, Georges and Gill are the best defensive D pairing in the playoffs and Gomez, Gionta, Spacek and Moen bring the type of leadership that wins playoff games. All these players, except Georges, were brought in this summer after Bob got an upclose look at the the “team”, if you can call them that, from last year. As far as Halak goes the coach chooses who starts, not the gm. When Bob was behind the bench last year he stubbornly stuck with Price, but Carboneau and Martin made there own decisions on who played despite what the conspiracy theorists think. Halak had 28 of his 43 starts this year before Bob left in early FEB. So the “Halak wouldn’t have gotten his chance if Bob was still in charge” opinion doesn’t hold water and is based in fantasy, not reality. People like Chris Hardhabits and there Bob hatin brothern will stick by the “it’s just Halak stealing games” company line because then they don’t have to admit the team Bob put together is actually alot better than they said it would be. Oh and for there information in this series Fleury’s #’s are almost identical to Halaks. So for the series to be tied at 3 and for us to have almost twice as many 5 on 5 goals against the champs, the rest of the team must be pretty damn good aswell, not just Halak.

30. avatar_58 says:

So if making 1st doesn’t make you a good team, going far in the playoffs doesn’t make you a good team, beating the top teams doesn’t make a good team….

What is a good team? One that drafts high????

31. Chris says:

Hey, I’m totally happy that Roland Garros is just around the corner.  Although Federer doesn’t look like he’s going to have enough to hold off Nadal this year.  Not that I mind…they are both really classy players!  :)

32. RetroMikey says:

I criticized this team all season, perhapse I was wrong but when the team turns it around in the playoffs it tells me that those 82 games we played in the regular season are nothing more than a memory, another page in the diary.

Is this what the NHL has come to?  Float all season, and give it all out in the playoffs for the players?  No wonder Martin was scratching his head night and day during the regular season.

Credit is partially to Bobby,his 6 year play in his final year is paying dividends but I praise Jacques Martin who I have admired all season with his coaching and knows how to get the most out of players.  The guy is a take control guy since he chewed out Sergei at practice in the beginning of the season.

This is Martin’s team, he advised Bobby to go after Gill, Cammallerri  and others to build his team which he saw fit to his style.

1 more game please, 1 more game,  If there is a God, may he strike at the Mellon Centre in our favour, that’s all I ask.

Then mission accomplised partially.  We make it to the Conference finals but winning the Cup is the most absolute task for this team.  I don’t know if we are going to get better next season but that’s a different story, let’s enjoy this playoff run.

Our team is resilient just like our Bulldogs, hard working, grit and character and we never give up.

That’s the team I have been preaching all season, hustle, hustle  and the the team shall be rewarded.

The goal is to win the Cup and I hope the players know they have something good this year and continue on in their quest this year for the ultimate prize.

Let’s do it guys!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

33. Chris says:

Very much agree with you on this post.  Well said…this was what I was aiming to come up with below, but you did a much nicer job!

34. Chris says:

Hey, don’t get me wrong….I like turtles as much as the next guy.

But I’m pretty sure that a turtle wasn’t what Gainey had in mind.  He was more into thoroughbreds, if you recall!  😉

35. punkster says:

So “turtle” in the most positive sense of the word. I’m ok with that particularly when, as many of us agree, this team is in general mediocre, a bubble team, a .500 team all season. They have to play to their strengths today no matter what those strengths may be. So maybe next season we get a couple of strong wingers and/or a number one big centre and can play a more offensive style. Cool. For now we go with what works. Hot goaltending, sacrificial shot blocking, squeezing out the opposition’s big guns and squeaking out victories whenever possible. I’m totally ok with this for now :)

FEEL THE PRIDE!

36. Propwash says:

Gainey signed players with a proven track record in the playoffs. What more can you ask for? The team made the negative nancy analysts and fans pretty much eat their words. As the old saying goes, “the ends justify the means”. Its game 7 tomorrow, and if/when we beat the pens, I think the team will make the finals.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

37. Habalisous says:

As one who was pissing on the efforts of Bob as GM….I appologise..thank you thank you thank you!

I have watched this team since I was born in 69 and can’t remember a season I have been more excited and emotional on what is going on.

I keep thinking it’s going to end but then they win and win and win and win.

I love this frickin team!

THANK YOU BOB….THANK YOU!

”You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” – Wayne Gretzky!”

38. forskis says:

The following rumors:

1)  The Habs needed a big center last season:  Lecavalier and other stuff for Price and other stuff;

2)  This year’s team needed scoring:  Jeff Carter and other stuff for Halak and other stuff;

He does not seem too attached to either goalie to me.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

39. Chris says:

I’m not sure that he has had to adhere to that style, but he’s been sticking with it because it’s worked.  For example, he was heavily over-playing his top two lines, to the point that they were just exhausted late in games.  It took him about 10 games to adjust, but since he’s moved to playing his 4 lines more, we’re seeing the Habs fade less in the third period.  If anything, I would say that they have been the better team in the third period of the past few games.

I agree too that he now has the team forechecking more aggressively, which is resulting in lots of turnovers.  Those turnovers are what are causing many of the Habs’ goals, such as the first goal last night by Cammalleri and the fourth goal by Lapierre.

Definitely agree with the last point, and I hope it is a lesson that has not been lost on Subban, who was at times in his junior career very guilty of playing an individual game instead of using his teammates, especially when his team fell behind.  He’s been playing excellent hockey, with minimal mistakes on the back end and showing the poise of a veteran.  The time in Hamilton really helped him…he is a much more mature and patient player now than the one that was tearing up the OHL last season.

40. avatar_58 says:

I have my Cammy jersey and I love it! Been pretty lucky so far. I also want a Subban jersey eventually.

41. makka83 says:

Jaro started to play more games under Gainey.

Gainey had a deal almost done with Price going to another team.

So, as much as Gainey liked to go with Price, he always thought what was best for the team.

42. B says:

Didn’t Gainey make offers and efforts to sign Komisarek and Kovalev before going after other UFAs? Were there not other UFAs he made offers to? Look, I am thrilled with how things have gone for the Habs in the playoffs so far, but to sit back and blindly cheer lead Gainey for having great vision in engineering this team is a bit over the top. While things have worked well in the playoffs, I am certain this was not all due to a perfect recipe laid out by Gainey before going out and putting all these pieces together. There were some backup or scrambling moves made and some luck along the way. This team could have just as easily missed the playoffs and I suspect some of those blindly praising all of the genius moves would be singing a bit of a different tune if that had happened. All of that said, I am ecstatic about these playoffs so far and can’t wait for game 7 against Pittsburgh tomorrow night. Go Habs Go!

43. notbigbird says:

I don’t think any other plan would have worked against the Caps. It’s just a feeling though as I am very inexpert re. tactics.

44. Chris says:

You’re good for a laugh, I’ll give you that.

Tell you what…let’s have this conversation in 2 or 3 years’ time.  That’s when we can properly assess how these moves paid off.

I am 99.9% certain you were one of the people that was waving your pom poms last year in the playoffs, but was then one of the first to dump on all those players once Gainey let them go.

I have no troubles whatsoever admitting when I am wrong.  But I also don’t gloat when I’m right.  I’d just like to see what the actual end result is before having to go through the whole process of deciding one way or the other.  And that end result is not right now.

45. marlboro says:

Gainey’s best move was Martin. To me this is the biggest reason why we are winning.  During the Regular season, you try and Motivate, but you can’t really make corrections, or learn, or teach/coach.  You play a givin team, and then you might not see them again for weeks.  Ya win, great, ya lose, we’ll try harder next game.  But the dynamics of every team is different. Play the Devils one night, then Washington the next.  Two completely different games.

Gill, Georges, are shutting the same guys down game after game..The coaching staff is teaching, breaking videos down.. Thats what other coachs are trying to do better then us and can’t.  Martin isn’t the type of guy to yell at a missed penalty call.  But you can see in his the calmness, and confidence that our guys are schooled well by their coach.

The Heart of the players comes in after they have learned the system, and without a thought, sacrafice everything for it, and each other.  I beleive we are the smartest and best prepared team.  Thats where the character of certain players with Stanley cups, or playoff experience is important.  Gill took crap all year.  But he did exactley what he’s doing for us now, the last 3 years…Why the surprise? Gainey new exactly what he was getting.  We just couldn’t see it yet.

I beleive! Go Habs!

46. notbigbird says:

I’m not into jerseys, but if I were, I think PK might be a very good bet.

47. coachdoug says:

Chris…I agree with many of your points but I would say JM has had to play that way simply because we do not have the offensive firepower that the Caps and Pens have…I hate that style of play and it can lead to laying back and trapping all night…I do think they have made some adjustments though to be more agressive on the forecheck…

I also think this has been a great lesson for young players to see “superstar” filled teams getting beat by a lesser skilled team that is better coached and works together…too much individual emphasis in hockey today…it is still a team game…Habs are a better team

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

48. Chris says:

Don’t ask me…my record when it comes to jersey buying is, to say the least, suspect.

I got my first Habs jersey in the late 1980’s, a beautiful #26 Mats Naslund number.  He of course tore his groin that year, had the lowest point total of his career and ended up in Lugano, Switzerland the following season.

My next Habs jersey was almost purchased on February 9, 1995.  I thought it was finally time.  I was in Belleville, Ontario at the Quinte Mall with my jersey in hand, about to have it embroidered in honour of my new favourite Hab, Eric Desjardins.  Good thing I looked up at the television in the store…  :)

Next came my vintage Saku Koivu jersey.  Figured I’d be safe with that one.  He actually made it another 2 or 3 seasons, so I can’t complain much there.

If I was to get one now, it would be Andrei Markov, but I simply don’t dare buy it…  :)

49. jbroderi says:

Better to change your opinion when new evidence arises, as oppposed to what you do.  Go down swinging like a stubborn old bag afraid to admit that they made some poor assumptions.  You shouldn’t take any joy in the Habs successm because you are giving none back to the team and the players that you “cheer” for.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

I’d rather save my accolades for the Stanley Cup parade. Gainey did bring in Cammy, Gio, and Gomez who along with Plex are leading the team in forward minutes. He only signed Plex to one year, which last summer many thought was one year too much, but we all wish that was 3-5 years now.

As many people point out Gainey did everything in his limited foresight to push Price into the role that Halak has assumed even when all roads were pointing towards Halak and away from Price.

The team throughout the regular season gave not one of us any indication that they were capable of achieving what they’ve done so far in the playoffs.

Nevertheless the little 3 have proven to be leaders and playoff clutch performers to a man and without them the Habs would’nt be where they are regardless how well Halak has played. Gainey deserves credit but it’s more of a B+ than an A-.

This year is more ’86 than ’93 by a far margin. That year the Habs were the Cinderella/Underdog. Same as this year.

51. coachdoug says:

I went with the Cammy Jersey for the same reason…he filled the Kovy shaped void I had…I love that sideways one-timer he favors that seems to always go top shelf…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

52. Lafrich says:

Maybe 1-2 games can be by luck. But it takes a complete moron to think that you can take 7/13 games against Washington and Pittsburgh by luck.

It sounds like you are a sad sad man.

Just enjoy this fun!

53. Chris says:

Dave…I have seen flashes of what this team could be if they adopted a more attacking mentality.  The second half of last night’s game was a great example.  So was Game 4, where the Habs played brilliantly in the third period.

But for far too many games, they have been content to block TONS of shots, soak up pressure and hope against hope that Halak can keep them close.  The territorial domination by the Capitals and Penguins in about 8 or 9 of the 13 games thus far has been absolutely obscene.

I give the Habs’ players, particularly the defence corps, full marks for their willingness to compete, for sacrificing their bodies and for their dedication to protect the front of the net at all costs.  But we are collapsing all five players into the front of the net when the other team has the puck in our zone…that is what I mean by a turtle.  It is a turtle that has the ability to counter-attack occasionally, especially with Cammalleri and Gionta playing the best hockey of their careers, but it is a turtle nonetheless.

54. Matthew says:

No, he was referring to MAB, that’s why he said “and grateful for trading for MAB who has more giveaways than the lottery”. Who are you anyway? The Great Defender of Negative Nancies?

55. Habscore says:

Alright, I’ve been debating all season on whose jersey I should buy, but it’s still a dilemma.
    -I love Cammi so much he radically stole Kovalev’s spot on my heart. He made us all fall in love with him, and he seems to love MTL just like Kovy did. Skilled scorer who is doing nothing else than growing and improving.
    -I thought about Gomer because I never disliked him obviously because of his talent even tho he’s not a scorer. The guy is crazy fast and contributed enormously to the team’s success. Also I would love to represent a latino, who are rare in the NHL.
    -Finally, Markov; I don’t need to explain why ;).

Should I simply chose one and buy a 200$+ Jersey, or buy 2 or 3 woman t-shirts???

— YES HABS CAN!! —

56. coachdoug says:

I always said that Gainey took us from suck to average…but now I have to say this team is above average in the post-season (understatement)…so I have to give Bob props…who would have guessed the post season would go like this though…no one I think…The hockey gods have had their say!

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

57. badangel says:

please don’t be at the Bell Centre Wednesday night.

The Habs beat the Capitals not by luck but by hard work, determination and (gasp) SKILL. Capitals didn’t LOSE the series, the Habs WON it. One of the reasons for that is strong tactical coaching that was able to shut down the best players .

Habs won against the Caps by merit and they have gone this far against the Pens for merit. It’s not a fluke or luck – it’s coaching, team work and hard work .. and ya SKILL too (hard to believe after watching the reg season I guess)

Need I mention that the odds and often through both series does it seem like the REFS are against the Habs. Every time they seemed down and out of it.. they fought back and won.

Habs have ppl who aren’t even regular Habs fans cheering for them because they are the underdogs and doing what seemed to be the impossible.

So rather than whine like Crosby about what’s not perfect about the team .. how about enjoy the wins and appreciate all the shots blocked, aching bodies and effort the Habs are making!

58. Chris says:

Like I said, the majority of their games.

For example, they absolutely turtled in Games 6 and 7 against the Capitals and Game 1 against the Penguins.  And if Boudreau had had even an ounce of control over that team, he would have had them go back to what was working:  have Backstrom control the puck and set up the open men.  Instead, they moved to an every man for himself offence that was easy for the Habs to shut down.

EVERYBODY was just waiting to jump on the team after Game 4 of the Washington series.  Bitchfestpalooza was being planned, and the guest list was getting long and distinguished.  Then Halak essentially rode to the rescue, and it is all rose petals, rainbows and unicorns around here again.  It is amazing how quicly people flip flop their opinions on this site.

59. punkster says:

Roll your eyes all you want and in response and I’ll just <sigh>. There are a few commentors left who cling to the hope that their doom and gloom predictions will yet come true thereby providing them vindication and proving them to be vastly superior to all the rest. You’re not one of those Chris, not yet anyways. Stick to your opinions but please don’t become wedded to them against all evidence to the contrary. This team is more than a bunch of turtles and a goaltender. Look again.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

He’s referring to Gomez. Doesn’t make you look like Mr. Smarty Pants either.

61. sidhu says:

An inflammatory subject when we need some positivity and unity going into game 7.

The implication from this is that we are here because of Gainey’s moves.  But if Gainey was still in charge, Price would be playing and we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are today. There’s no doubt that Price’s development is due to Gainey’s interest in pushing him along.  Carbo said he wasn’t ready, and he was right.  Gainey had to step aside as his emotional attachment to Price’s performance was hindering what was best for the team.

62. Jbell10 says:

F@$% I love this team.

63. Mr.Hazard says:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Luck beat WSH in 7 games? Hahahahahaha. I suppose you’d prefer be a Detroit or NJ fan right now? Waiting for Roland Garros to kick off?

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

64. Jbell10 says:

Bigtime Douche Bag Right Here

65. jbroderi says:

you make a good point.  You can’t have Gainey crucified one minute and then elect him to sainthood the next. Let’s be honest, and realize that he was somewhere in the middle.  I have always been a Gainey supporter, but the decision for him to step down may have been the correct one.  We can hopefully shore up some weaknesses in scouting for next year and let PG put his stamp on the team.  Gainey did a decent job, deserving some crdit for this run, but not all of it.  The players and coaches are the reason we are here.  Let’s finish off these fat, clumsy birds!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

66. Tharsis says:

wow what a Debbie downer lol…

You glass half empty types are never able to savour the moment are you?

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

67. Captain aHab says:

And yet, they are one win away from the Stanley Cup semi-finals without Markov in the lineup and with a kid playing leading minutes on D. I guess they don’t just turtle.

68. punkster says:

Whatever…

FEEL THE PRIDE!

69. Chris says:

<rolls eyes>

I don’t regret one second my stance that Gainey had to go.  It took me a lot of years to come to that conclusion, as I was one of Gainey’s biggest supporters for the first few years of his reign.  He, along with Andre Savard, got the Habs re-aligned onto the path towards respectability.  He committed to a youth movement, knowing that the team was in dire need of a talent infusion.

But he made a litany of errors as well, errors that ridiculously hot goaltending seemingly vindicates for the majority of people.  Sorry, I’m not one of those people…I will stick by my guns.

I dislike flip floppers.  If you don’t have the conviction to stand behind your opinions, then you should keep them to yourself.  I’ll take my lumps from those that think this stance makes be a band-wagon fan.  But I will take them knowing that what we’ve seen in these playoffs, a Montreal Canadiens team that has in the vast majority of its games simply turtled in front of their own net and prayed that Halak could hold the fort, was nothing close to the team nor gameplan that Martin and Gainey envisioned for this team in the summer.

70. jbroderi says:

go buy a leafs jersey!  your defeatist loser attitude fits in better there than here!!

fluke this and lucky that.  who cares anyway??  The only thing that matters is winning, so don’t say you are enjoying the moment, because you don’t deserve to enjoy any of this when you do nothing but put the players down that got us here.  they don’t need your support, and I’m sure the Molson brothers won’t call you when we need a new coach or player either!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

71. BeachHabFan says:

and lucky they have fans like you who appreciate them.

72. Captain aHab says:

I guess we’ll count you on the Glass Half Empty side of the ledger…

73. Matthew says:

They did not trade for MAB. You’re an idiot

74. tricolortrue says:

yes grateful for tradinf for a 4th liner at 7.3 mil, who can’t put a puck into 2 empty nets, and grateful for Poulioy who resembles CASPER the ghost, and grateful for trading for MAB who has more giveaways than the lottery, and grateful for a team of smurfs.

habs are lucky, LUCKY!  they are a mediocre team and these playoffs are a fluke. yes they’re playing way way way above their heads, just like their regular season 2 years ago when they finished in 1st place. everyone knew they weren’t a 1st place team, and they proved it in the playoffs.

and now, even Cammalleri said they’re not a great team. luck takes you so far.

next year they will back to their usual mediocre team and we all know it.

but like others I’m enjoying the moment, knowing it won’t last.

but please don’t give credit to Gainey. he has destroyed this franchise, and next year that will be proven as well.

75. sam says:

man, if everyone could be so grateful for Mr. Gainey’s work. we knew people had to calm the f. down this season. injuries, new players, new coaches, new system, etc. thanks for singing his praises, Mike. now if only more people in the spotlight could thank him for this team.

in Bob we trust. (always.)

76. Captain aHab says:

Goose. Bumps.

Smurfs no more…

I ripped BG all year for putting this team together … i started early too , some time around July 1st.  Not that I wanted to keep Kovi, Tanguay, or Koivu ( i did want to keep Komisarek tho ) … but, I for one didnt think that tossing a ton of $$ to a bunch of players was the way to build a team.

For 82 games I was right … i mean, c’mon, we were inconsistent, we lost games we thought were easy wins … we needed 1 point to make the playoffs and we lost our last 3 games, incl. Carolina and the hated TML .. but, like I said earlier, I underestimated the will to win of these guys.  I dont know if BG had any idea of how things would unfold … it would be arrogant of me to think he had no idea, but, I think even this run has him a little surprised.

Nonetheless, and this is my point finally, the one thing I have continually stated, is that to me your goal SHOULD BE to win the cup, not just make the playoffs … the past month is the exact reason why.  Its just an amazing feeling to see our Habs make a run … i think we can all agree on that.

24 Cups's picture

Well said, Peter.  I’m in line right behind you (I look pretty good with egg on my face).  There was absolutely no evidence (right up to the end of the schedule) that this was going to happen.  In fact, our team backed into the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row.

I’m not sure if it’s just a one year ride but it’s the best Hab playoff hockey I’ve witnessed since ’93.  I can’t wait for Wednesday night.

78. HabsFanInVictoria says:

In this teams defence, they were a new group (we all knew that) and they were injured (they still are).  It takes time for teams to gel and they did.  As for the pieces to the puzzle, they were all in the box, they just weren’t put in place yet.

79. JF says:

I agree up to a point.  For most of the season, the Habs were barely in the hunt for a playoff spot.  Granted it took time for the guys to learn to play together, granted there were serious injuries to key players, the team was still unable to play consistently well, would usually follow up a strong outing with a mediocre one, and couldn’t prolong a winning streak or cut short a losing one.  Things started to change after the Olympic break, when we had a longer-than-usual good stretch, followed, however, by another bad one.  But one thing this team didn’t do all season was quit, and I think that character started to show through more and more.  Think of the injuries, and of how other players raised their game and gave more to compensate.  Compare that with the disarray of last year’s team and how, after Markov went down, we didn’t win a single game.  Think of the Anahein game, when we were down 2 goals with 90 seconds to play.

I think the reason no one saw this coming is that the key ingredients in the Habs’ current success are character, commitment, and hard work, and those are qualities that don’t make as immediate an impact as talent.  We don’t have superstars, we haven’t scored a spectacular number of goals this season or won a ton of games, but one thing posters have been praising all season is the team’s character and no-quit attitude.  This was clearly an essential ingredient Gainey was looking for in his free-agent signings and perhaps one of the reasons team management was content to go through the entire season without naming a captain.  Gainey knew he had brought in a bunch of leaders; half-a-dozen players have at different times stood out as captain material.

So, although no one could have seen this coming, it is not altogether mind-boggling.  It is somehow in keeping with the team’s character.  We have gotten better, and I think we’re still getting better.

80. coachdoug says:

I feel like I am at an AA meeting…but I have to confess that I was critical of Gainey the last two years also and I am happy to see it all coming together…I have said all year that this team is way better than last years and they have heart which is really showing now…

I do think Halak should have been number one sooner but I understand Gainey wanting to see Price be successful…heck we all wanted to see it…I also think Gomez is a great 5 Million dollar center…but what the heck is two million of Cap space…a lot of teams have players way more overpaid…Hartnell, Lucic come to mind…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

81. jbroderi says:

I always said that Gainey did quite the job this summer, considering that a lot of these signings were made in the heat of the moment on July 1st.  Who knows if this was plan a, b, or c?  No one does.  You can’t always go out and get exactly who you want, they might want to go elsewhere.  The fact that he not only got skilled players, but reshaped this team with winners and team guys in a matter of days is an accomplishment in itself.  Maybe Gainey got dealt some lemons from certain players refusing montreal as a home and certain GMs from finalizing trades, but the lemonade BG made sure hits the spot, don’t it!!!

keep her goin’ boys!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

82. forskis says:

Oh dear Mr. Boone…you are giving credit to Mr. Gainey, the traffic here will jump now starting with people listing the good moves and bad moves by Mr. Gainey…followed by his conspiracy against Halak and how the team did better after he left and then it will degenerate into a Price vs. Halak thing…

BTW…for those saying the Habs backed into the playoffs…that is not exactly correct:  they needed a point to get in and they got it; to back into the playoffs, it would have required the Habs to wait for the outcome of the Flyers-Rangers game on the last Sunday of the season.  So technically, the Habs earned their way in, not pretty, but they did what THEY needed to do without having to worry about the result of the Sunday game.

Personally, this is how I see things during the Gainey tenure:

1)  The five-year plan…things were supposed to culminate in Year 5…if it worked out, re-sign most/all the players, if it did not, then let them go (thus the ten free-agents) and let ownership decide if Gainey gets to continue….and they let him continue;

2)  The shopping spree:  maybe Gainey built this new team not to make the playoffs, but to PERFORM in them…maybe to him, it did not matter what seeding they got as long as they made it because most of his new players were playoff veterans and the whole point of the regular season is to MAKE the playoffs and win the Cup…this team made it, not pretty, but they made it and now they are performing…

Any move a GM makes will be second-guessed and re-analyzed in hindsight…Gainey had an idea and he stuck with it…HOWEVER, this new team cannot be considered better than that of the five-year plan until it makes the 3rd round…and it will not be considered a success unless it wins the Cup.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

83. HabsFanInVictoria says:

BOONE!  Thank you for finally saying it! :)

84. jbroderi says:

cammy and gio don’t go down in the year, likely cammy gets 40 and gio gets 35 goals.

lots of what ifs, this or that, but we are here now, and i think we are picking up the scent we lost 17 years ago!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

85. likehoy says:

what about pouliot over latendresse? maybe not.

but i have to say i would take chris higgins over tom pyatt any time of day. higgins has offensive potential ,maybe not 27 goals again, but higgins at least can shoot the puck and maybe put in 10 in a year. tom pyatt has the worst shot on the canadiens and has very little offensive instincts other than skate fast.

is tom pyatt a better fit for the canadiens right now? yes. a rookie who just wants to prove himself is better than a veteran leader who forgot himself, but if i were building a team on paper, i would prefer higgins over pyatt.

on the other front of travis moen and TK…i would probably take TK over moen. I just haven’t seen moen do anything TK didn’t do…and i get the feeling TK was more committed to the habs than moen is now. but i would have loved to have both on the team. it’s safe to say TK was the main component of that lats – laps tk line as both had terrible seasons without TK.

– What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

86. avatar_58 says:

We’re winning and this guy is preferring players not even in the playoff mix…

87. likehoy says:

i’m just saying, people are making too big of a deal about travis moen and tom pyatt. they’ve been decent, but they’re all interchangeable.

the real differnece is made with the big 3, dominic moore, and our defense.

88. Captain aHab says:

Lats ended the year with 2 goals in his last 10 games, which is pretty much what his pace was with the Habs. Methinks he might revert to Don’t-Give-A-Shiot Lats next year.

89. Habscore says:

Well … said, Mr. Boone!!

That video was a great compilation of this season’s best moments… very good times! Wow..AK46’s celebration is the funniest part.lolol

— YES HABS CAN!! —

90. Shublips says:

That was simply amazing!  The Habs are really playing like a team and winning as a result.  THIS reminds me of 93 more than any other year.

Yes, that Habs have a long way to go, but they are coming together at the right time and that is what winning in the playoffs is all about!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

91. blacy says:

Thank you, Mike Boone, for that great piece on Gainey.

92. mbplekfan says:

What Gainey did was recognize that a sickness had overcome his team, that his dressing room was broken and some bad influences were becoming leaders.

So he cleaned out Kovalev who wasnt helping the K brothers, he cleaned out Higgins who was forming a bar hopping group and he said goodbye to Tanguay and Koivu who were having career problems and adding no leadership. Komisarek was no big loss and has shown nothing in TO.

He brought in veterans with Stanley Cup experience and good work habits. People can slag Gomez’s contract but no-one can dispute that he is our best forward. Cammaleri, Gionta and Moen have been top notch improvements over the guys they replaced.

Gill is an awesome team leader and extremely stable on D. He’s not going to lead end to end rushes or score goals or fight, but he does his job well.

Leaving PK in the minors was probably the right decision but we sure could have used his offense after xmas.

Gainey blew up last years underachieving team and started over. This team is better.

93. The Cat says:

I personally dont see the mastermind angle (Gainey saw this, Gainey saw that) Its more like for every five hands of poker youre dealt; youre bound to have one good one.

94. habsguy92 says:

sorryy gomez isnt our best forward and there are tons out there that are cheaper and better.

95. zamboni says:

I think I like Gainey more than your average Hab, but i’m getting sick of all the credit of this team always bouncing of Gainey, yes he is a class act and a a very intelligent loyal Hab, but we’ve got to start giving some credit to PG.

Let’s remeber that if Gainey had it his way, we wouldn’t be in the playoffs, instead we’d be thinking of who to draft in the second round for Philly’s pick that he would have gotten by trading Halak.

Let’s remember that he openly anounced that Halak was on the trading block.

PG on the other hand, the first thing he did was to anounce that Habs will be holding on to both goaltenders, he then went on to add a solid player to the roster in one named Moore.

I still love Gainey, but this song is getting too old.

96. K-hab25 says:

A. You don’t know if we would’ve made the playoffs or not. B. He try to trade Halak after he asked to be traded. C. He tried to trade him to PHI in the middle of DEC, Halak was 6-5 2.92 GAA .905 sv% at that time. D. According to Gainey PHI didn’t want to make the trade, so obviously you have an inflated opinion of Halak’s worth at that time.

Very well said.

98. Chris says:

And let’s not forget Andre Savard, under whom the seeds were planted for the rejuvenation that Gainey completed.  Andre Savard’s yeoman work in bailing out the boat that is the Montreal Canadiens made it possible for Bob Gainey to steer it in the right direction.

99. showey47 says:

Actually if gainey had his way, price would have been dealt for vinny at last summers draft. Which was his original plan before he traded for gomez. Kinda puts a big hole in the “gainey only wants to play price or gainey sees price as the future of the habs” theory doesn’t it?

100. The Teacher says:

Or maybe Gainey overestimated Halak’s value, or didn’t hmm.

Zamboni, if you are trying to give credit to PG for what the team that BOB GAINEY BUILT is doing, you seriously have a dislike for BG than cannot be overcome.

101. zamboni says:

Don’t let your inflated crush on Price cloud your judgement (I know it’s impossible)

Gainey’s announcement (Jan 6, 2010)

Halak’s record at the time 11-6

Price’s record at the time 10-18

Gainey was still adament that Price needed to carry this team until the day he resigned.

Enough said!

102. zamboni says:

Not at all, but him getting all the glory and none of the blame is not fair for the other GM who never gets mentioned.

If you read what he said you wouldn’t have made such a comment. Zamboni readily states that he has a huge appreciation for Gainey. Or perhaps you believe that BG is a sacred cow and untouchable?

Zamboni’s arguments are well thought out and well said. Why is it that when somebody articulately comes up with a good argument people must reosrt to ad hominem attacks? I’ll tell you why. Because Zamboni’s logic is solid in this case and you can’t rebut his argument so you therefore say that his ideas are driven by dislike. This is so disingenious and is very symptomatic of many posters here who run around attacking other posters.

PG came out and said he was keeping both goalies and BG openly put Halak on the block. Zamboni gives PG some credit and I agree that some is due. I personally credit the coaching staff and most importantly Halak and the rest of the leadership core. BG got the leadership core right but got the Halak/Price part wrong. Gainey did admirably however. These guys all year showed heart and in the playoffs have risen high and above expectations and are poised to go the Conference Finals. This is the team that Bob built, but he’s stepped aside and has passed the torch. He even stated the very same. Ask Gainey and he’d give PG credit probably more than Zamboni has and not just because he’s a classy guy but because it’s meritted.

104. K-hab25 says:

Wow you proved yourself to be dumber than I already thought you were. You posted a link from Jan, that says he tried to trade Halak the month before or DEC as I call it. You stated he tried to trade Halak to PHI, that happened in DEC. The only thing that he says in this article is Halak asked to be traded and if something comes along thats right for both parties he’s open to it. Learn to read douche.

105. VancouverHab says:

The Price – Halak debate is irrelevant to Bob Gainey having the credit for this glorious team (along with the work of the players themselves that he chose .)

The bottom line is that Gainey brought both goalies on board under his watch and they were still there when he stepped aside and ended his watch. That’s the fact: everything (what he allegedly tried to do or not to do) else is mere chatter. Gainey gets the credit for getting & keeping the two goalies that we have now.

“You can make up your own opinion, but you can’t make up your own logic.”

106. Duracell3 says:

I’d still rather have Saku.

107. HUDSONHAB says:

I’d like to take Saku’s heart and put it into #’s 57,46 et al.

….Hab4life….

108. habsguy92 says:

pretty much agree cept i dont think gomez is an upgrade.

..and
    then when you take salary hit into account. no way jose

BRING
    BACK SAK

109. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the back’n’forth whether (Hall Of Fame) Robert Gainey was a ‘genius’, competent OR incompetent GM will not stop as long as ALL of Us have the ‘freedom’ to express Our personal opinions

…the amount of Our Fans callin’ Bob a genius may be reduced a little IF We lose Game 7 against The Waddlers …those calling Bob incompetent obviously are not literate enough to understand the definition of the word ‘incompetent’

…Bob was in fact MORE than a ‘competent’ GM, …Bob Gainey above and beyond His day-to-day functions as the personnel decision-maker, was also the major-reason for the rehabilatation of The Montreal Canadiens to it’s Fan-base  …Bob Gainey after His return to Montreal from Dallas reinfused Our Franchise with It’s ‘Royal Jelly’, It’s ‘religion’ …it’s ‘sexiness’ …it’s ‘romance’ …not only among those that witnessed ‘The Glory Years’, but the countless New Generation of Habs’ Fans that only knew Our Past Greatness from Their parents or dated videos

…Bob Gainey, in the absence of Great Players over this past generation He became as much or more ‘The Face’ of Our Habs as Saku or that-pretender Kovalev

…I know for certain, it was Bob Gainey that brought Myself back as an ‘obsessed’ Hab Fan after years which I year after year increasingly kept sliding towards indifference

…Bob Gainey has made His share of questionable moves …which in retrospect to an ‘outsider’ has wasted or lost assets to Our Team …decision to not allow Carey Price to play a full-season in the AHL or not being more aware of protecting Him from being overwhelmed in the transition from small-town BC to the Sodom and Gomorrah that My beloved Montreal is for the naive

…don’t forget Sam Pollock drafted Mark Napier over Mike Bossy ! …there are 30 Teams today in the NHL, We live in the confines of the salary-cap era, Our Team is a cultural-icon of a Province and language-base unique to any other team in the NHL, making the Montreal Canadiens a Political Football among It’s Fans as much as just another athletic sport

…IT does NOT matter HOW We got here TODAY …We ARE here …in a sweet moment in time …The decisions that Got Us Here were MOSTLY those of Robert Gainey

…IF We feel THIS good today ? …Just think How We will Feel AFTER Game 7 against The Waddlers and CryBaby IF We WIN ??? …OR, please Lord !, The Stanley ???

…just remember Who The Heart Surgeon was !

…I KNOW I will

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Given their playoff performances I am glad Cammy, Gio and Gomez were brought in. They and Plex are leading the charge on the ice and in TOI.

That being said I still wont put it all on BG’s shoulders. Even he said, implicitly, that it would take another 5 years to set things straight and that’s why he stepped down; because he didn’t feel he had it in him to commit to another 5 years.

I’d rather give credit to where it’s due. Halak and company. These guys along with the coaching staff are playing the type of hockey I envisioned when all these changes were made last summer. I am just glad the put it all came together at the most opportune of times.

111. VancouverHab says:

Great post, Hab-in-Surrey. I like the implicit rebuke in your assessment against people who apply the Standard of Perfection to Bob Gainey. I’ve been repeating myself that greatness is not the absence of mistakes (since no human being is perfect) but the ability to recognise & correct or learn from inevitable mistakes.

112. B says:

Are you really trying to compare Gainey to Sam Pollock? That’s a bit over the top.

113. Hammer says:

I quess I have always seen BG differently than many on this site. Being one of the “older folks” on this site having watched the habs since 1966, I always saw BG as a player who bled Habs, a person who was as professional on the ice as any player i have ever seen and one who put the team in front of himself 100% of the time. When he made decisons as a GM you KNEW that he thought of the good of the team. This probably cost him friendships, and many nasty comments on sites like this. But one thing is for sure, he checked his ego at the door and was always 1000% Montreal Canadien.

114. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a commentariat’s Redux: “…the back’n’forth whether (Hall Of Fame) Robert Gainey was a ‘genius’,
    competent OR incompetent GM will not stop as long as ALL of Us have the
    ‘freedom’ to express Our personal opinions”

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

The most important thing is that if we do disagree that we do so respectfully.

Unfortunately many posters here haven’t gotten that memo.

116. sholi2000.com says:

Awesome read, thanks.  And to those who don’t agree, you’re entitled to an opinion….even when you’re wrong. :)

They Call Me Shane