Surprised?

Not really.

The organization has always believed in Carey Price’s upside.

Jaro Halak is the redheaded step-child who became a playoff hero.

Pardon the pun, but with a hefty arbitration award looming, Halak priced himself out of the Canadiens’ plans.

But his postseason heroics didn’t vault Jaro’s trade value into the stratosphere, but it’s a buyer’s market for goaltenders: Evegeni Nabokov, Anterro Niitymaki, Marty Turco, José Theodore, Chris Mason, Ray Emery … not to mention recent Vezina laureate Tim Thomas.

At least they dealt him to the Western Conference, where John Davidson gets to negotiate with Allan Walsh.

Carey Price lost many tough-luck games this season. Flukes, deflections, weird plays.

Adversity didn’t break him. The erstwhile Franchise was more mature. He worked harder and was an unfailingly supportive teammate while watching Halak become a playoff legend.

Now it’s his team, and the pressure on Price will be enormous.

One or two soft goals, a bad outing and the whole city will be talking about Jaro’s 53 saves in Game 6 against Washington.

The Canadiens have given Price an enormous vote of confidence.

What Pierre Gauthier has to do now is improve the team in front of his goaltender – including a D that will begin the season without Andrei Markov.

Lars Eller and Ian Schultz do not guarantee a return to the Conference finals.

On the other hand, cap-wise this may free up enough to re-sign Tomas Plekanec.

Could Price have brought greater value? Maybe a front-line player, like Jeff Carter from the Flyers.

Maybe.

But Pierre Gauthier weighed salary cap considerations, organizational depth and his faith that Price can become a star.

•  •  •

Funny Tweet from Dan Tolensky:

Habs did pretty well getting Rucinsky & Kovalenko
in the deal. I mean Eller & Schultz. Also, Thibault is the future in
goal. I mean Price.

1. Puck Bard says:

So the right thing would have been to wait until July 1st and get nothing?

2. ZepFan2 says:

“Behind closed doors we really don’t know who calls the shots”

Yeah, and Elvis is still alive.

lmao

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

3. habsnyc says:

better than blaming the fans like gainey did when montreal lost.  the team doesn’t even have the salary cap room to get a roster player in return for halak, thanks to gainey’s cap mismanagement.  the team was set back for years due to his irresponsible 2009 offseaon.  he tied up payroll for years, left his young talent unsigned and walked away in the middle of the season.

4. Puck Bard says:

“Halak was set to become a restricted free agent this summer and was due a hefty raise”: point is: he was worth less after July 1st.

5. dallyd31 says:

Come on…really.  Do you think Gauthier would risk taking the heat for someone else’s moves.  You don’t like BG, we get it.  Move on and stop blaming people who have nothing to do with decisions you don’t agree with.

6. avatar_58 says:

What is “way too expensive”? Arbitration? It went there did it? For some reason I remember Halak’s agent saying they would hold off for a bit before negotiating. Didn’t sound like a price was even on the table (pardon the pun).

Goaltending, in my eyes, was our biggest strength. It is far more important than Plekanec or resigning our 3rd and 4th liners.

7. ddawwidd says:

Whatever. They don’t learn. Welcome to yet another year of work-in-progress. And in two-three years maybe they’ll draft another hot goalie.

Bring back Zone de Match! :(

8. avatar_58 says:

You and I both know Price is doomed no matter what he does. The only way he can shut critics up would be to single handedly deliver a cup.

However Price aside we all saw what Halak was capable of. Please explain to me why management decided this wasn’t worth holding on to.

BLAH BLAH Plekanec contract. BLAH BLAH better upside – We SAW what Halak CAN do. Nevermind what anyone else *might* do. Such a damned waste.

9. mrhabby says:

see boones comments about halak getting way to expensive re:arbitration..money rules.

10. hablifting says:

The difference is that Thibault, Kovalenko and Rucinsky were all NHL ready players.  The two we just received may never play a full season.

11. dallyd31 says:

What a useless post……….

12. Puck Bard says:

All things considered, I’m fine with the trade. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

13. avatar_58 says:

As if that makes it acceptable.

14. hablifting says:

Good idea.  Lets talk about some meaningless regular season game instead.  Are you being serious?  Price was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e last year.  I hope he turns it around, however he has yet to show he can become a solid force out there.

15. Chuck says:

Oh, Halak was worth holding on to. Problem is, he was worth too much.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

16. Rugger says:

I like this more than what we got for Roy.

17. makka83 says:

All Halak fanboys…. please:

1) Suck it up!

2) You are not St. Louis fans. Please leave the boards.

LOL!

18. habsnyc says:

as an RFA Halak would have refused any one year deal and demanded arbitration where he would have been awarded a number that would put montreal over the salary cap, making halak a free agent.

halak is getting a deal like huet got four years 20 million. not something montreal can afford.

19. Jru says:

I feel sick.

This is garbage.

That’s all.

20. avatar_58 says:

I love me some Price, but this is a ridiculous move. I’m sorry. I really don’t care how the pundits rate Ellis – it’s just a bad move. They had better bring in a veteran goaltender because if they expect Price to just play every damn game and shoulder the team like they did with Huet I’m going to lose my mind. Sign Turco to a 1 year deal or something.

*sigh*

I was really feeling Halak was the man for 2011. I just don’t get it. Price is going to face the wolves opening game…..he had better channel Patrick Roy if he wants the fans to be on his side.

PS – anyone slamming Price right now isn’t a habs fan. Pull your heads from your anuses. This trade has nothing to do with Carey – it was all PG. Blame him. Price will do what he does – play goal. He needs to be cheered and I for one am not going to let one bad year make me change my tone. CAREY CAREY CAREY!

21. Propwash says:

Everyone whining about this trade, put this into consideration. We need size up front, we got it, granted they’re not superstars, but it fills a need we were lacking for awhile now. You have to give up something. I wish Halak lots of luck in St. Louis, but I wonder if he will keep up his streak come next season.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

22. Chuck says:

“…a bad outing and the whole city will be talking about Jaro’s 53 saves in Game 6 against Washington.”

Too bad fans wouldn’t instead talk about Price’s 53 saves performance against the Predators.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

23. habsnyc says:

it was a disfunction management that retarded Price’s development, then put themselves in a situation where two young goalies would need hefty new contracts in the same year.  Gainey’s incompetence will haunt this team for years.

however, it’s a great trade for montreal who doesn’t have an offensive prospect in their system (courtesy gainey).  the organization over committed to price far too early in his career (read gainey messed up) and this was the only way to save face.

do not worry about Halak becoming the next Hasek.  it never was going to happen in montreal.  he was tagged as a backup the moment he was drafted.

the screw up was in not signing price simultaneous with trading halak. they should have told price – here is your contract take it or you go to the blues and halak stays.  now price has leverage.  management remains stupid because they were trained by gainey.

24. Norcal Habsfan says:

At face value it stinks, but I think as the summer progresses we’ll see a larger plan that will make more sense. Maybe now it means more money for a significant free agency play. Montreal is a little more appealing to free agents than it was last year and we were one or two pieces away from making the cup finals.

Just like the Gomez deal, you have to look at it in a context. On the surface it sucked but without the Gomez signing, maybe we don’t attract Cammi, maybe we don’t sign Gio or Gill.

I hoping and praying by September I can look back on this and make sense out of it. Maybe too optmistic.

25. Bob Barker says:

Lars Eller looks to be a solid player. Supposed to be a great teammate, hardworking, very good vision and defensively responsible. He was the Blues second ranked prospect on Hockey’s Future behind Pietrangelo.  I’m excited to see him play.

26. Duracell3 says:

Pretty sure Lars Eller is never going to score near 30 goals like Ruchinsky did for us. Hopefully he’ll at least help out Hamilton, and even more hopefully usurp at least one of the Belorussians.

27. longtimehabsfan says:

Not shocked, because of the need for Cap space, but surprised that we didn’t get at least one present NHLer in return.  Imagine what the other interested clubs were offering?

28. habsnyc says:

i blame gainey for almost everything, and will continue to do so until every player he signed is banished from habdom.

29. RetroMikey says:

Behind closed doors we really don’t know who calls the shots, but Gauthier definitely is not the lone individual who makes the decisions on this team.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

30. Duracell3 says:

Not how that works, Halak was an RFA, not a UFA.

Post is invalid~

31. Fansincebirth says:

Funny thing….after the Washington series, I turned to my kid and said, “Halak has priced himself out of Montreal.”

32. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs learned this post-season they had to learn to win without Andrei Markov. It wouldn’t hurt them to consider they have to play hard to win with whatever goalie is in nets, CHI and PHI proved it’s possible certainly.

Bigger goalies are more favoured for covering more of the net and having more size, leverage against all the monster players crashing the net nowadays, bigger goalie is harder to shove around and intimidate, and it’s easier for him to see over players.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. Y says:

Wow…the Predators!

A perennial powerhouse.

34. Led says:

Yep, a dependable veteran is a must (not high on Turco though). Someone to play a lot of games if needed and take some of the burden off of Carey’s shoulders. Halak must of priced himself off of the team. Sure glad I didn’t buy a Halak jersey or tee.

35. Chorske says:

yup. exactly.

36. Y says:

More like square zero.

Pleks is as good as gone. Maybe that vegetarian moron will get a new zamboni for him.

37. RJ says:

Happy now, Mr. Boone that your boy is anointed yet again?

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

38. Clay4bc says:

Scouting? Did you forget that we just fired our scouts?

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

39. danp says:

The Habs played better in front of Halak than they did in front of Price. Hot playoff run or not – Halak got the Habs into the playoffs twice.

Big – as in tall – goalies are better? Leighton has a five hole that is more like a 5×5 hole. Why? He can’t close as fast as a shorter goalie.

40. megagoten says:

also, boone, you could dispell the myth that seems to be around them haters : the salary cap is not doubling for next year

41. Chorske says:

EXCUSE ME? I says pardon? You’re presuming to tell me how I express my fandom? Why don’t you go fly a kite? I am not some blind sheep, filling the Bell Centre and filing happily into the souvenir shop to buy the schwag regardless of how the team is doing or who the players are. I don’t blindly cheer just because Gauthier slaps a bleu blanc rouge jersey onto just anyone. Just so happens that I form attachments to certain players based on their style and what they contribute- and yeah, I have the right as a fan to bitch about decisions that I percieve to be plain ol STOOPID. Like this one. Just so happens I really liked last year’s edition of the Habs, and Halak was a big part of that.

Also. Don’t ever, EVER presume to tell me how to express my fandom. I am a thinking sentient adult capable of deciding whether or not the Habs are on the right track. Yesterday, I thought they were. Today, I am not so sure anymore. That is my right, and if you think that makes me less of a fan, you can go hang.

42. nick says:

Back to square one? Because Halak is gone? Please…

43. nick says:

Sorry. Double.

44. hablifting says:

Only time will tell I guess.  My immediate reaction is…wow…will we ever get competent people in the head office?  Hope im wrong.

45. nick says:

Sorry. Triple. Rough day ;)

46. jbroderi says:

doop doop doop

47. RetroMikey says:

Geez I thought John Bonham was alive as well.

The song remains the same always with this club.

DOUBLE LMFAO!!!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

48. avatar_58 says:

Last time I checked Pierre calls the shots. He cannot blame Gainey for this.

49. Rob D says:

I think it was the right move. I’ll take the good big man over the good little man everytime. Of course, Halak was spectacular in the playoffs but I didn’t see it continuing into the Philly series or next year.

If we had a 22 year old center with Price’s success at the Jr., World Juniors and AHL level we would NEVER consider dumping or trading him at a similiar age. He’s a pup. But he has all the measurables you could ask for and he’s a prototype size for his position. I like Halak too but I would not gamble on him repeating his playoff run success next year. He’s a very good to great goalie.But I know that Habs fans are into short term thinking. Greatest fans in the world but I don’t want them (including myself) making decisions based on emotion and what could be one time STeve Penney experience.

I respect all the Halak fans on the site but a decision has been made. We got back a terrific prospect (a big kid who plays physical! Cool..and a hard headed d-man who is highly regarded and has leadership skills..cool again) You are not getting a big name forward for a goalie who has had one hot playoff run.

I like this trade a lot. Now Price has to prove himself all over again to mngmt. and fans and his teammates. He did a tremendous job of supporting Halak in the playoffs. A lot of maturity displayed there.

50. cautiousoptimist says:

As much as I much would have kept him, I understand why he was moved, and I don’t think Gauthier was crazy to move him.  What I don’t get is the decision to exchange a young NHL-proven player with a ton of potential for two young non-proven players whose minor-league numbers are not all that mindblowing and who may never make it in the NHL in spite of their potential.

Dealing or packaging Halak for Pietrangelo, Alzner, Braydon Schenn, someone like that, I would have understood.  But this return just seems really low to me: a mid-sized guy who managed a respectable 57 points in the AHL last year (on par with Maxwell’s 58), and tough guy who potted an above-average 55 points in the WHL.  Nothing remarkable there.

I hope I’m wrong (and I often am), and I’m sure they’ve done their scouting, but I gotta say, I’m not liking this a whole lot right now…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  51. Chorske says:

whatever

52. Chorske says:

Whatever. Must be lonely in Thunder Bay.

pff

53. RetroMikey says:

I swear I saw Bobby’s little head  behind Pierre’s shoulder when he spoke at the press conference.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

54. RetroMikey says:

By the same time next year on this site, we will all be bitching why
    we didn’t make the playoffs, Carey Price being an average goalie at
    best  for us, still not being big enough up front and having a very
    weak defense and seeing players like Halak shine in St. Louis, the
    Leafs improving with their players and development, and the Black Hawks
    repeating as Cup Champions.

It makes you wonder……..are we back to square 1 with this once proud franchise we had?

Gulp.  Scary folks.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

55. andrewberkshire says:

Eller potted 57 points despite playing on a terrible team and fighting a bad case of mono to start the year, which usually ruins about half a season for young players. Eller is barely rated behind Pietrangelo, so he’s a lot better than he’s getting credit for today.

56. hablifting says:

I want to win Andrew.  Halak was helping us do that.  Now he’s gone.  It’s a little annoying.

Perhaps Schultz will be good, that would please me to no end.  We do need guys like that.

Bitching is what I do best when it comes to this team.  Since I can’t trade players, or get on the ice, all I’m left with is commentary.

57. andrewberkshire says:

Here I thought you would be happy for once with the acquisition of Schultz but you’re STILL bitching.

58. Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh KMA, I’ll presume to say whatever I want, tough guy on the internet.

59. avatar_58 says:

Here’s a question – anyone still blaming Gainey for backing Price? Clearly it wasn’t all him, as Gauthier seems to agree.

60. andrewberkshire says:

It’s what we all do best, but I’m still going to give you a hard time!

61. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s not either or, or a question of ‘fanboys’ as the teenaged contingent would put it. It’s a question of realistic goaltending, and who the Habs will pick up to be an anchor at that position. I’m not a ‘namethatgoalie” fanboy, but when it comes to deflating things, last year’s Price was like a pothole in Spring. He’s two or three years away from potential respectability as a goalie, and we are going to have to watch it.

And watch it we will. That’s not an appeal to habs patriotism (wrap the car flag around me and are you a true fan), it’s a fact. We watched some pretty bad teams over the years, and if this one just got much worse in the short term, so be it. It may pan out in the long term.  We were two forwards and two defencemen away from being a power. We are now two forwards, two defencemen and a goalie away from being a power. Put in those terms, this doesn’t look too bad.

We can paint over the halak stop signs and get ready to write on the ‘yield’ ones.

62. since1988 says:

perfectly put it’s a business and the team had to cut costs to stay under salary somewhere going with Price gives us inexpensive goaltending hopefully we can use the savings to sign a big winger

63. Thomas Le Fan says:

Maybe a little surprised that it was St. Louis. Other than that, not at all. Halak was going to be moved. It was a classic no-brainer. Anyone intent on crying over it is welcome to, I guess. I would hope that real fans will dry their tears and continue to support their team and players. This trade, like all others, needs to be given the chance to play out. Otherwise, go become St. Louis fans and don’t let the screen door hit you on your way out.

64. Thomas Le Fan says:

“People on here are throwing blame around like the Harper government does!!”  says the guy with red  panties as his avatar. Why don’t you leave the politics at the door? What’s with all the stupid avatars anyway? Why don’t you guys find some real women and leave the pictures in the magazines?

65. Rugger says:

Still a half dozen shoes left to drop, patience is called for.

66. Chris says:

I’m not sure I agree on that…Kaberle DOES carry a significant value because he is an offensive defenceman on a very affordable contract…that is a rare commodity.  I can definitely see a better return on Kaberle than what Montreal got for Halak, as he is a guy who can put up top-10 points with anything approaching a proper supporting cast while chewing up significant minutes.

He’s not Pronger, Lidstrom or Doughty, but he’s still a pretty good defenceman, comparable in many respects to Andrei Markov.

67. Aybara says:

Lars Eller

Talent Analysis

Eller has decent size, is a good
    skater with very good technical skills. He also works hard and is in
    general very well-rounded as a player. His scoring touch is pretty good,
    but Eller is much more noticeable as a playmaker. He has really good
    hockey sense and has that special ability to find openings that few
    other players can. A team player, he plays a good two-way game, but
    could still use some fine-tuning in his defensive game and play without
    the puck.

Future

Eller is projected to become a
    two-way forward, second line, in the NHL one day.

Ian
    Schultz

Schultz gets noticed for his physical play more than
    for his offensive
    skill.  Schultz could eventually become a power forward, but he may also
    develop into a solid grinding winger.

68. derfab says:

Two kids for a Conne Smythe candidate. One from the hockey mecca of Denmark!

O Treachery! O Villain!

To keep a guy who couldn’t outscore Koivu and did SFA after round one?!

To keep another kid in goal who hasn’t quite become a pro yet?

Lowsier than lowsy trade.

This demonstrates that the Habs real weakness is in the front office.

Gauthier has to sign or trade for a proven star forward soon or get himself to a nunnery.

69. RiverviewCanadien says:

1. We will never know, MTL never contacted Halak after the season ended

2. Find me a news article where Halak actually says it in the context you did, and what do you think Price said all along, “I am ok with being a backup”?

3. I supported Moore coming in when people crapped about that before he even dressed for one game. I support both these players. I said to a friend at work after hearing the news “It was the right style players, but I don’t think it was enough for Halak”. Had this been Price, would you have been saying that was a good trade?

4. I agree, and we all remember the Price/Halak Camps all season, there are a number of posters here who cheer the nameplate and not the CH.

5. Don’t sell what Halak did in the 1st two rounds so short. Yes the team played as a team and that is what it takes, but we have all heard the no-goal support ramblings for Carey, and as I recall, the Habs were shutout 3 times against PHI with Leighton. Ouch! Had they just scored some goals those 3 games…I wonder what could have happened…

70. andrewberkshire says:

I’ll admit that I had rose coloured glasses about the value of our goalies, I thought for sure we could get a roster player and a good prospect, but when all is said and done this will probably be a good move for the Habs.

71. Curtis O Habs says:

What does everbody think you are going to get in return for a free agent?  Tough moves have to be made, so the GM made one.

72. Mike says:

Could we have gotten more by letting a team send halak and offer sheet and then gotten the picks in compensation?

73. K-hab25 says:

Chuck that is by far the best pic ever, I freaking love it!!!!

74. terrygain says:

Halak is a RFA. If I’m Brian Burke I sign Jaro to an offer sheet. I also sign that guy who got 130 points in Junior. If he pans out I make the Montreal coach look like an idiot.

Ironically Montreal made the playoffs and advanced to the 3rd round because of Jaro Halak, but the clueless management thinks we got as a far as we did because of  the brilliant coach who benched plus 1 O’Byrne so he could play minus 12  Bergeron.

No announcement that RFA Carey Price has been signed to a contract extension so his price just went up. The Molsons are now in charge. Save us from the brilliance of inherited wealth.

75. Chuck says:

Only if St. Louis signs him for $5 million/season.

But hey, it’s their money, and they can throw it around as they want.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

76. Puck Bard says:

Patience. Goalies had to be dealt with first.

77. terrygain says:

Gauthier is to hockey as Obama is to oil spills.

78. Nina76 says:

RJB…………you could have fooled me………….”they are doing their job to WIN, not LOSE…………Yeah they are doing a great job alright to LOSE

79. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

Consider….Halak was never booed…Habs owners got receipts from 19 playoff games, thank you!…M. Gauthier annoints a “second line center”…..what’s next?…. certainly no free hot dogs as long as fans fill the rink….

80. Nina76 says:

STUPID!!!!!!STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STUPID!!!!!!!!!!! I would like more of an explaination about this deal, who are these guys????? remember GAINEY is still there had alot to do with it I’m sure he is for PRICE will I still be a habs fan ? wfter this I don’t know I hope they loose alot of ticket sales maybe that will wake the BIG HEADS UP…………………I can’t believe this

81. makka83 says:

with all due respect but you don’t fit to tie PG’s shoes in hockey knowledge… so shut up and suck it up buttercup!

82. habs fan from stonyplain says:

first off when carey has a 35 win year we all will laugh at you, this is a good trade for us, eller is going to be a 25-30 goal man with some grit, and the other player is big, mean and gives us some more beef. Also why do you think price has number 31, its to go inbetween dryden and roy.

83. Rainrocket16 says:

I would pay him 4 million as the GM, Dumb ass PG!

84. G-Man says:

Many folks used to believe the Roy trade was the worst trade this franchise has made. Well, Mr. Peanut, you’ve been bested. What a horribly stupid move, trading the player who helped bring 8 home dates at 2 mil a pop for an additional 16 mil in revenue. He wasn’t worth 1/4 of that? Really?

The morons will next sign Biron, and all will be well on L’Antichambre.

Unbelievable.

85. RiverviewCanadien says:

Well this trade was a kick in the junk

86. MikeL says:

He’s ahead of them because he’s NHL ready right now.

87. G-Man says:

This is, in plain English, a horribly stupid trade that puts the Houle deal for Roy to shame.

Morons.

88. G-Man says:

From the conference finals to the basement. A great move.

89. slapshot777 says:

Saw this trade coming, I told my friend the other day that Halak will be the goalie tha is shipped out. It had nothing to do with Price over Halak, but all about how Halak’s agent Allan Walsh was going bleed the Habs for every cent he could out of the Habs and still in the end I still think Walsh didn’t want his client Halak to re-sign with the Habs. Walsh started this goalie bashing earlier this season and really once down that road had no return. So I think he was going to try and make it next to impossible anyway for PG to re-sign Halak.

Another reason Halak was shipped out, he said earlier this season that he wouldn’t be re-signing unless the Habs were making him the clear number 1 goalie next season. Halak didn’t earn that privledge yet to go telling the Habs management what they should be doing. That was only another strike to a decison on his future with the Habs. The habs according to prospect reports seem to have two young skilled players with ” SIZE”, I know that people are bitching about this trade and blaming Gainey and PG.

Those ramblings are that of people with little hockey knowledge. I mean how can someone say that this trade or any other one for that matter is stupid when neither player has yet to put on a Habs jersey or stake one skate stride for them yet. What happens if next season or a couple down the road these players become key components of the Habs team, then what, do all these players who are here today come here and say they were wronmg. Highly unlikely, because they haven’t got the B*lls to admit it. Yet if they don’t pan out they will be forever blowing their own horn of how they knew it was a bad trade.

Let’s look at the overall picture with cap management in place and see how the summer shapes up and who will be putting on the Habs Jerseys come September. I always like to give everything a chance to see where it leads, before I go shooting everything down before it gets a chance to get started. That is what I call STUPID. A true habs fan will alwayscheer for the tam no matter what. The fans who cheer for a single individual I guess spells their team with an ” I ” the true habs fan knows there is no ” I ” in team.

Again this is why Halak was shipped out, he alone didn’t make the Habs win it took a team effort. Unless I missed all the goals Halak scored in the playoffs. Halakhas the potential to be agood goalie and I wish him all the best and thank him for his services. We now have Carey Price who too has all the tools to be a great goalie. I suggest we praise him up and show confidence in him rather then constantly boo him and talk about him in a negative tone.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

90. Chuck says:

Folks should take a chill pill and check out what the feeling was about Price on HI/O after the Nashville game. 53 saves, but no goal support… thus a loss. Thankfully, most everyone understood that the kid wasn’t to blame and didn’t rant about wanting to run him out of town.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

91. MikeL says:

For everyone saying we should have gotten a better prospect – Eller is ranked 27th by Hockey’s Future, and to quote Dobberhockey.com:

“Aside from Jordan Eberle, Eller might be the most NHL ready prospect not
    in the league right now. He is big, strong, physical, solid
    defensively, boasts a terrific shot, and he sees the ice very well. He
    isn’t overly flashy, but he projects as a very capable second line
    center. He is a lock to make Montreal this fall – expect him to start
    off on the third line, but that could change if Tomas Plekanec is not
    re-signed.”

92. amvanimere says:

That’s a good point. Kristo is at least a year, and who knows how long for Leblanc. Probably much more. I think Eller makes the team out of camp, plays on the 3rd or 4th line (a role he seems to be comfortable with from what I’ve read today, unlike a guy like Sergei Kostitsyn), and moves up with good play.

93. Chuck says:

If you gave him the kind of money that his agent thinks that he’ll make next season, how would you suggest paying for players to fill out the rest of the roster?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

94. amvanimere says:

Thanks for the link. That article was great. We quickly forget that there is no goalie market in the NHL…

95. HabsFanInVictoria says:

Well said.

96. Tobiass says:

Your post demonstrates your real weekness is your intellect…

97. Rob says:

if you’re not a Habs fan after this, it’ll only serve to tell you that you were never really a Habs fan in the first place

98. jbroderi says:

People on here are throwing blame around like the Harper government does!!  Everyone calm the hell down and wait to see what else happens.  I, for one, will make my judegments after the free agent frenzy on July 1st.  Lots of questions yet.  Let’s hope that PG will give us some answers, but for now, everyone try to keep the blatant negativity to a minimum.  It is onyl annoying and really, at this point, highly irrelevant.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice write-up, good to see come calm, composed prose on the subject.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

100. SeriousFan09 says:

Sorry but Roy had 2 Conn Smythe trophies and was 289-175-66 regular season, 70-42 in post-season with 3 Cup Finals and 2 Cup wins on his record when he left. Let’s knock off the hyberpole considering the two guys we got are more likely to contribute more than what the Roy trade brought in as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

101. RJB says:

It’s june guys and gals, lets all take a deep breath and realize that this season is months away, there is plenty of time to add a veteran goalie to mentor Price and time to add some free agents to the roster. I think were all having conniptions a little too early don’t you think? Maybe just maybe the Habs management is looking to build the best team possible, and they saw this move as a way of improving the team? I mean despite what the paranoid fans may think, they are doing their job to win, not to lose.

102. jbroderi says:

What the hell kind of statement is that??  he is 22, has a world junior championship and a calder cup!!  He had a .912 save percentage last year, regardless of wins.  If there is one thing he has, it’s mental toughness.  His main issue was the lazy attitude and sense of entitlement, which vastly improved over the course of last year.  Let’s give him a chance.  I’m sure your assessment is based on your feelings, and you have the right to express it, but you can’t make up the facts!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

103. jbroderi says:

i think it’s safe to say that if Price played for Philly in the Play-offs this year, we would have different cup champs.  Not saying he is the greatest thing ever, just saying that Leighton is not even close to the goalie price is, so why don’t we all give the guy a chance next year.  And for christ’s sake, can he be made to move in with Gomez or Gionta so he won’t be out chasing tail all the time??

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

104. joeybarrie says:

Wait, you think this is a worse trade than Roy’s??? Do you think it is even in the same area?

You think we should have given Halak 4 million a season?

That is what’s unbelievable.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

105. SPATS says:

Flyers and Hawks just proved that great goaltending is nice, but depth is better. Halak was very ordinary (as was the rest of the crew) after the first 2 series. Like most others here, I would’ve liked to see a marquee player in exchange, but cap issues dictate otherwise. Let’s hope the new Carey will be all PG hopes he can be.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

106. jbroderi says:

is everyone here really that horny to give pleks 5 million for a lot of years?  I know that I like the guy, but we know we are stuck with gomez’s contract, and another small guy up the middle for a lot of money and years may really strap us in.  I would only hope if we keep pleks, we can get a winger with size that’ll put up 25 goals and 55 to 60 points.  If PG can do that and sign pleks all within the cap, then go for it!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

107. Clay4bc says:

It’s not so much trading Halak that bothers me – it’s the return we got for him (far too low), and the fact that we kept Price. Price is not the future of this team…we gave up a great goalie to keep a below average one? And got almost nothing in return? How dumb is that? What a slap in the face to Habs fans…

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

108. andrewberkshire says:

For sure.

109. andrewberkshire says:

Comparable offensively to Markov, but mot defensively.

110. GrimJim says:

But if we’re in the basement, we get a lottery pick next year,

I think I just channeled the spirit of HardHabits…

111. Rugger says:

I think it will be 4.5 and with Halak gone might give us enough for the scoring winger that you mention, especially if we can find a taker for the brothers K. (or maybe give AK a heart transplant)

112. andrewberkshire says:

Not to mention that in today’s NHL, the book is out on every goalie who plays semi-regularly. But books only tell you so much.

113. Will Longlade says:

I really like this trade. The reality of the cap dictated that Pleks or Halak had to go. With this trade, the odds are that Pleks will be resigned. The Habs got a young ex. talented centre who will probably be in the mix next year (his NHL production projects to 23 goals over a full season) and a young tough grinder who isn’t afraid to mix it up and has the size to intimidate. I’m already looking forward to next season.

114. Max_a_million says:

Burke can’t, he doesn’t have his picks anymore.

115. Max_a_million says:

Better cap wise

116. andrewberkshire says:

I guess this answers the question I asked below. Price was actually above average in save % last season, so we’re hardly keeping a “below average” goaltender.

I also take issue with us getting “almost nothing in return” as Eller is a damn good prospect, he’ll likely make the Habs next season, and Schultz may be a sleeper who can fulfill a role in the future similar to what Byfuglien does for the Hawks.

117. Chuck says:

If some of today’s posts are any indication, I’ll probably get a lot of mileage out of it.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

118. Just A Guy says:

While that 53 save performance against the caps may not be a fair microcosm to Halak’s season,  Price’s game against San Jose last year was a great example of his season. I think Halak’s record when facing over forty-whatever shots might be a better example. But the book is out on Halak now: be patient, shoot high. Price is a harder one to beat since you either need to get lucky on a one timer, deflections or the otherwise impossible to save cross crease passes. Prices weakness last year was goal support it has been documented and those documents have now beaten many a dead horse.

look for the game from the 4th of march if some of you are interested http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/gamelog.htm    just as a thought experiment, when you see Price shaking his head after the 3rd goal are getting the impression that a) he is somehow blaming his teammates, b) angry at himself, c)quite frankly amazed that the shot was as good as it was or d) some other reflection that has no relevance on Price’s percieved attitude (that goes out to the Price bashers

brilliant saves, 4 goal posts, missed opportunities from the habs, 2 deflection goals and one one-timer from the slot on a PP for San Jose. So many of us were crying foul when Halak got the start in LA the next game.

119. Bill says:

At the risk of betraying my ” very little hockey knowledge” (thanks for coming down from the mountain to enlighten us by the way), it is at least questionable to trade the better goalie and keep the lesser. Team effort in the playoffs? Um, I guess, by definition, it was, except Halak was the part of the team that made it win two rounds. He didn’t score any goals, no … but then neither did the rest of the Habs in the third round. And it was pretty much just Cammalleri in the 1st two.

Prediction: next season will be one of the roughest in team history. The only person liking this trade is Carey Price’s therapist.

Full Breezer 4 Life

120. Mike MacPhee says:

Amen!

121. Y says:

After evaluating my feelings, I have come up with this:

Why is it that they always let the guys with whom fans have an emotional attachment, get away?

I got over the Roy trade, and I’ll get over this but for now I am feeling catatonic and need a hug.

122. JIMVINNY says:

The Habs had 19 home playoff games?  WOW!

123. DOAHABS says:

but it would have been nice if the Habs had of at least scored 1 goal in 3 of those games against Philly

Halak gave then every chance in the world to win that series,he got absolutely no help from the team.

So basically I agreee hHabs need some scoring power forwards who can srr the net or at least shoot at it.

Good goaltending is needed in the playoffs ,& I doubt price will be the guy come the end of the year,that said he sure has enough breathing room now,so hopefully he does become the guy we all thought & hoped he would be…

Go Habs Go

124. MikeL says:

Exactly. Eller is a top prospect. Do people actually think Halak could fetch a Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, or Jordan Eberle? Halak had a great year, but the his trade value is being greatly overrated.

125. mrhabby says:

are u sure it was 19 games.

126. Rugger says:

It’s like the leafs fans expectations for a Kaberly trade.

127. MikeL says:

For your answer, go to any Ottawa Senators website and see how they feel about Alex Kovalev.

The most popular isnt always the best.

128. Thomas Le Fan says:

Let’s leave the politics out even if it’s nice to see a non-leftie one, for a change.

129. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

19 playoff games home and away…does anybody think Canadiens management makes no money at all when the Habs are on the road…start with royalties on Halak jerseys…a few tv$ etc

After mulling it over I am living with this. I am not cheerleading, I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic. PG was opportunistic when you think about it given the circumstances. He also made a bold FU fans move that shows he at the very least has a set of balls.

131. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’ve said all along that I wouldn’t resign Plekanec for anywhere near that much which means that I likely wouldn’t sign him at all. Sure he had a better year than last but his playoff performance was about the same. I don’t expect it to improve. Plus I think, we aren’t short of talent but short of size and strength and that stuff Burke talks about. Before he signs another Swede, that is.

132. avatar_58 says:

There’s also something very very wrong with both Kostitsyns being habs but Halak off the team isn’t there?

133. Chris says:

The book on every goalie in the NHL pretty much is “Shoot high”, including Jaroslav Halak and Carey Price.  Carey Price was unfairly maligned for high, glove-side goals the last 18 months, and so is Halak.

Goalies took after Patrick Roy’s style of getting the puck low because it is hard for players to pick those corners on average.  Stopping 92.4% of the shots he faced as a 24 year old kind of shows me that while the book might be to shoot high on Halak, not very many NHL players have been able to do it regularly.

134. amvanimere says:

The St. Louis fans seem to have held Eller in pretty high esteem. I think he slides in as our #3 offensive prospect (behind Kristo and Leblanc).

It’s called a Gainey man-crush that’d make even Pierre McGuyer blush.

The worse thing is that both Eller and Schultz could’ve been drafted by the Habs but they opted for other players.

Carey Price shall be that sacrificial lamb though because next season it’s draft lottery time. I just hope the scouting team does their homework and loses their affection for small skilled career AHLers from the USA and Europe and starts looking at big, gritty and skilled Canadian boys.

136. doug19 says:

Although I wanted to see both goalies stay, it really was unlikely due to Halak’s great playoffs,capspace and Halak’s agent who represents Halak’s feelings I assume or he would drop Walsh. This way if Halak has a poor season coming up, well Price can only get better as he left alot of room for improvement last year after a great start. The K brothers will they bounce back or out? Big bird might have been handy as a defensive coach but probably is too much personality to go with who is behind the bench now. I remember Laperriere he was a great defensman around the net falling on pucks etc. He was an excellent defensive coach I believe as there was a time when Montreal developed a ton of great defensman.

Well here,s hoping the two new guys are the next Sundin and Chartraw?

Good point on taking other teams draft picks rather than rely on Canadiens scouting to pick anyone who can help now or ever. Could, they get another team to pick for them or have they just done that?  HHHMM interesting strategy what!

You feel whatever you are told to feel. You think what you are told to think. Your opinion is given to you.

In all my life I don’t think I’ve ever seen somebody without so much as an original thought or idea.

Look up the phrase critical thinking. Try it. You might actually enjoy this crucial step into man-hood.

138. punkster says:

Whatever.

FREE TIMO!

139. Tis Himself says:

Where are they holding Timo anyway? Are the rumours that he has gone on hunger strike true? He’s gonna be the Bobby Sands of HIO!

140. Rainrocket16 says:

Black day in JUNE!! Merry F’n Xmas St. Louis!!

141. coachdoug says:

May have already been reported: Puckdaddy reporting proposed Habs / Calgary Flames Outdoor classic

142. DearyLeary says:

So I was just looking at Eller’s first NHL goal.  Nothing spectacular going to the net and it deflected off his arm and in.  Something of note, the defenseman he was shrugging off like he was a little pre-school girl: Dion Phaneuf.

143. Habsrule1 says:

Very good post, Boone, and not just because it’s pretty much EXACTLY how I feel.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

144. punkster says:

Special cell at Gitmo. He has an early 90s era 13″ colour tv, a VCR and hundreds of Habs videos from the 70s and 80s to watch. Nothing more recent. Too upsetting for him.

FREE TIMO!

145. merlin_24cups says:

….and now even Hitler has been affected….

146. bp says:

This really pisses me off. Seems like habs management has something against winning. I think my rds subscription is getting cancelled tomorrow.

147. cadoyle says:

i did some thinking with the lights off and a glass of neocitron. it
    comes down to the fact that in the eyes of the habs brass, pleks is more
    important than halak. they couldn’t afford both and they couldn’t
    afford to get players making > 1 mil a season in return for halak.
    the other question is why get players minimal potential rather than
    draft picks. the answer: habs suck at drafting, subban notwithstanding,
    and if you want proof they just fired their entire scouting staff 2
    weeks ago. still tho…letting the # 4 goalie in the league go for
    nothing….

148. doug19 says:

Tim who? Seems like after his vezina and whopping big contract he vanished as a premiere goaltender. Will he regain his form next year? Will Halak be better next year? How about Price or Fluery or Luongo its a crap shoot.

149. Tis Himself says:

It doesn’t matter what PG does or doesn’t do. Next season is a campaign ending in an odd year. We’re just plain screwed!

150. Natrous says:

Excellent post Robert, keep up the outstanding work (Please!)

151. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have spent a season and a half being One of Those making the case for Jaro Halak being Our Number One Goaltender (and, at the beginning, We were a very Few) …yet I have felt for the past several months, considering all the variables …that Carey Price would be Solomon’s-choice long-term to remain a Hab …My heart wanting Jaro to remain …My cold-blooded, rational-mind knowing this trade had to come-to-past

…so, NOT surprised at all, with the exception I expected a known-quantity in return …but, I am willing to wait to KNOW what We received in Eller and Schultz before dipping Gauthier in acid

…I believe Carey Price will be a solid goaltender, maybe someday even brilliant …as a Hab

…the onus for the Montreal Canadiens is to have the flexibillity to round-out our D and offense within the salary-cap …which if kept as-is We would barely make the Playoffs next season

…My greatest disappointment as a Habs’ Fan is the loss of Guy Boucher, …and I would have loved to have seen Larry Robinson’s reassuring royal-jelly influencing Our young-players, and providing Us older Fans a memory of WHAT WAS

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

152. PureGuava says:

This sucks.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

153. Top Corner says:

Excellent post !!!

154. SUMO says:

I guess I am upset like everyone else. Not because I felt PG should have traded Price but more because was this the best we could have gotten more for Jaro?

Jaro was the underdog hero who played his way into the hearts and minds of all Habs fans during the playoffs but he was heading into RFA with arbitration right whereas Price did not. PG hands were tied by the salary cap. PG could have traded Price but Halak was due for a hefty raise and judging by his shabby treatment hes gotten in the past, one couldn’t help but wonder if he wouldn’t have played serious hardball over $$.

This was a crap deal for the Habs but this was a “Business” Deal not a “Hockey” Deal. STL clearly got the better player but trading Jaro for 2 prospects relieves us cap space. This is $$ we will need to re-sign guys like Pleks (I actually think he will go to TO or STL) or Andrei Markov.

Some of the better blogs on this deal I’ve read so far;

-Elliot Friedman at CBC; http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/elliottefriedman/2010/06/its-prices-time-to-show-his-greatness.html

-Scott Burnside at EXPN; http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/nhl/id/5298972/quick-criticize-gm-gauthier

-Andy Strickland at Hockeybuzz for Blues side of deal; http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/Halak-Looks-To-Get-Paid/5/28858

-Tim Panacco for the Flyers take; http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-Panaccio/How-the-Halak-Did-That-Happen/2/28851

155. PureGuava says:

Mr. Boone,

Why are you always trying to spin things in a way that won’t upset the club brass? Let me ask you something – Why are you the only one allowed to be a dick on here? Your classless little jibs and jabs at us common-folk are tiring, uninspired, and malicious – and your gloating about the removal of a longtime poster was ghoulish.

Halak was fun to watch, and a class act…The fact that he stole a couple of playoff series and was twice as consistant as his successor didn’t hurt either. It was never all about Halak for many of the vocal members of “Team Halak”, it was about not being handed a manufactured ‘Savior’. Carey Price is the Warner Bros. ‘Singing Frog’, we keep hearing about how great he is, and then everything he’s wheeled out in front of us, he croaks. The ‘Price Saga’ has been some of the worst propaghanda to ever come out of hockey world, and you have been an active administrator in its delivery. You are a pusher of the worst kind of drug – ‘ignorance’. Price has done NOTHING at this level to have earned the type confidence, and adoration that you, Bob-Co, and the other PR guys that contribute here have dealt us. Now you have minions of ‘hooked’ and troubled fanatics lingering on the now nearly un-visitable HIO that have drank your kool-aid Boone, enjoy them.

I won’t be back.

PureGuava

156. makka83 says:

I didn’t read what you said but the “I won’t be back” made me really happy.

So long and Good riddance…

157. makka83 says:

just go clean the oil and shut up.

158. Tis Himself says:

I heard that if you show him one of those Habblebee jerseys he just falls to the ground shouting “the horror, the horror!”

159. jew4jah says:

look at it this way. we got more for halak than we did for koivu.

what a wonderful world

160. jew4jah says:

good read.

161. Mr. Biter says:

Timo is working at a men’s massage parlour as a towel boy.

162. Ayan_SB says:

So Eller and Leblanc as our top centre prospects? That looks pretty damn promising. Not to mention Avstin – Kristo and former teammates Palushaj – Pacioretty as their apparent respective wingers, this is looking like a pretty solid future top 6 lineup. And maybe a 3rd line consisting of Schultz – Lapierre – White?

And don’t forget Subban, Bennet, Stejskal, Weber, Emelin (maybe).

163. halak07 says:

Some Price supporters call Halak a flash in the pan.Well in the last half of 2007 season this young man comes inand wins 10 of his 16 starts,including two 1-0 shutouts of their division rival the Boston Bruins.My feeling was if this guy can just get us in,but it was not to be.Huet gets the last start of the season and the Habs lose 6-5 to Toronto.In 2008 he sent to Hamilton for his effort.Price is given a job with the big club.In 2008 he played 6 games had one loss and posted 934 save percentage.In 2009 Price had 18 more starts than Halak but could only deliver 5 more wins and rewarded with the start in all 4 games against Boston.In 2010 Halak is the Molson player of the year(not counting the playoffs).Price has lost his last 8 playoff starts.Huet gets traded to make room for Price,Halak wins player of the year and gets traded to make room for Price.What’s wrong with this picture?

PureG, I hope you return and haunt these pages with more spicey quips. Don’t leave this site to the bleu-blanc-rouge lensed cheerleaders.

Hello my baby, hello my dolly, hello my ragtime croak

Price-less.

165. Xtrahabsfan says:

Well …I just found out about Jaro….nice way to reward a Guy who single handily  gave the Habs the best play-off run in 18 years.And for all you delusional Price baggers who are so ecstatic about Carey’s fixed no: 1 goalie position,you better hope he does his job real good cause I’ll be on your backs ,letting you all have it REAL GOOD IF HE STILL CAN’T STOP BEACH BALLS! And as for Gauthier….F-U! Who the Hell are the two guys you acquired for Halak you scum sucker !Pathetic……..    Some body with brains better grab Tim Tomas and make him no:1 Habs Goaltender!

166. Mike Boone says:

You’ll be missed.

167. avatar_58 says:

So what. Maybe it’s just me but I’d rather have the here and now, not the future and maybe. “He will be this, he will be that” – how many player have we said this about that get screwed in the habs system?

I would MUCH rather have proven guys built in other farms like Cammalleri. SOMEHOW Halak emerged with talent. And they threw it away. Congrats!

168. Nina76 says:

I agree with you avatar………….I want proven guys not AHL guys……….how do we know or guthier or Ganiey [who by the way is still very much envolved with this team I do not want to WAIT & SEE I want a good NHLER with experenice & one that can score & HIT 200 lbs. Gainey got his wish PRICE…………..

169. smiler2729 says:

Are you joining the St.Louis Blues fanbase now too? Halak’s gone, get over it.

170. The Juice says:

Congrats JV, lamest comment of the day! Why take the time to surf the message boards of HIO if you don’t give a crap…does it make you feel better to try and undermine someone comment? lol…

171. JIMVINNY says:

If someone wants to make a comment like “FML” over a hockey player being traded, I DO pity them.  Had nothing to do with making me feel better.  On the contrary, I feel bad for him.  As I said.

172. makka83 says:

no, of course noone feels better by shooting someone down.. stupid comment :D

173. The Juice says:

Should have got the Blues 1st round pick at a MINIMUM…fail.

174. SeriousFan09 says:

We have a prospect who’s ready for the NHL now and one who’s probably going to be able to join the Canadiens as Kristo and Leblanc graduate from the farm. Based on the promise of a prospect with the 1st round, this is a good deal in comparison.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

175. andrewberkshire says:

Eller is more valuable than their 1st rounder.

176. Thomas Le Fan says:

You do realize, don’t you, that every single player in the league, good or bad, has played in the “minor leagues”? Obviously, Crapville is located between your ears.

177. andrewberkshire says:

1) I don’t think it’ll be too much pressure. From what I’ve seen from Price the last 3 years, he plays best when he knows the job is his, and everything is up to him. Whenever Halak started playing really well it seemed like Price got shakey for a few games. Let him roll with the punches for the first bunch of games in the year good or bad, and he’ll get his confidence back to what it was in 2008.

2) I would love for Price to have Turco around, but I think it’s too expensive. Turco could teach Price a thing or two about the ups and downs of being an NHL starter, and recovering from playoff failures. No matter what, I hope it’s an older goalie with a ton of experience.

178. RiverviewCanadien says:

I knew they weren’t keeping ‘em both, but to be honest, I was hoping Halak was staying.

As I always tell people “Suck it up buttercup”…so I will. I guess I am now on the Price Bandwagon if that is what you call it, since I cheer for MTL’s #1 goalie (which is something I have never stopped, funny eh?). I really do want the kid to be successful, like EVERY player while they wear the CH.

1. Will this pressure be too much for Price? Yes or No (include reasons)
    2. Who would you want the Canadiens brass to consider signing as The Mentor™?

My Answers:
    1. No (unless the last part of this happens), because from the reports, Price was a very good backup. Working hard for the team on the ice during practice (and stepping up to Sergei), while staying positive. He may have grown up and I think that is all he needs which is something (myself included) everyone wanted to see from him this year, which we didn’t all too often, a mature Carey Price. I am worried if Price has a bad string of games early on in the season…the media is going to tear him and the organization apart, and that could be bad for the rest of season, pending who we have backing him up.
    2. I really have no clue who all the UFA goalies are, but if Turco would come cheap, I think I would take him.

179. Thomas Le Fan says:

So … your guy will win St. Louis the cup next year, eh? You should try them out, you know, for size. You might look good in blue.

180. andrewberkshire says:

Think of it this way, Halak wasn’t going to sign here no matter what, we still got a top prospect for him as well as a guy who might be a sleeper. Schultz had similar numbers at 20 in goals, points and PIMs to none other than Dustin Byfuglien when he was 20 also in the WHL. We’ve lost a great goalie who wasn’t going to be back no matter what, and possibly gained 2 nice pieces for the future.

181. Chorske says:

Oh GAWD. Talk about clowns to the left and jokers to the right.

The Halak contingent are rationalizing. The Price contingent are crowing and inviting anyone who isn’t to become Blues fans.

Andrew, Punkster, JasonM, RobertL, Likehoy, Bugs, 24Cups… help me feel better about this disaster. Cos right this minute I am pissed off and I want to go throw poo at the Bell Centre.

182. Led says:

Just gotta move on and ignore the posts from the ones who sleep in their Price footy pjs.

183. Chuck says:

Deep breath. You’ll be fine.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

184. punkster says:

After a few weeks away from the daily grind of Habs pre-game, live game and post-game analysis I’ve had time to decompress. It seems many here have not. Yes, it’s a tough one to swallow after that amazing playoff run he helped manufacture and I grew quite fond of the kid. Jaro showed the hockey world that he was, indeed, an up and coming young goalie who may some day become a consistent, solid and dependable performer. No flash, no attitude, nothing untowards about this young man. Realistically though we couldn’t be expected to get much in a trade for a goalie, either goalie, what with so many UFAs and RAFs out there now. And the fact that neither of them are super stars by any means.

Is it the right move? Nobody, but nobody, can predict that with certainty. Halak/Price, either/or in my opinion.

Do I like the move? Given the players we got in exchange (they look decent enough) and the large savings in CAP I’m happy with it.

FREE TIMO!

185. Tis Himself says:

I’m just waiting for someone to use this trade as material for another
    “Downfall” video on Youtube.

186. Chorske says:

Haha, but there are some things I can predict with certainty- for instance, I can predict that the fans will be keeping Price on a very short leash. And I can predict that, no matter how well he plays, Eller will always be dismissed as a “soft Euro” by a large proportion of HIO posters.

I can also predict that a large proportion of HIO posters are expecting a big return on some hypothetical package involving the Kostitsyn brothers. And I predict that they will be disappointed.

Too bad July 1 is a Thursday- it would have been fun to have one of our mini-summits on FA day!

187. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Agree 100%.

Chris
    The Other Wing

188. Chuck says:

Also, no one seems to mention that the Habs were dealing from a position of weakness; everyone from here to Siberia knew that we’d be dealing one of the goalies. A quick look at the cap situation would have been the first clue.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

189. K-hab25 says:

He was in the AHL for 3 years and never started more than 28 games in a seeason, someone else played the other 50+ games. Sounds like a back-up to me. Oh you brag about Halak winning 26 games, well Price won 24 as a 20 year old.

190. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

Halak proved enough in 2009-2010 regular season, Olympics & playoffs not to mention NHL 2008-2009…all at low pay…a popular member of the team and fans….as good as Price may be or will be, he has been unpopular among many of  the fans and it may be difficult for this initial reaction to ever go away…does this matter? I don’t think the kind of booing that has been heard in the last couple years is easily turned to cheers…..Trading Halak at this point is an insult to  fans and the way Halak has been treated by management shows what advantages they take over decent people.

191. Clay4bc says:

You had better check those AHL stats, as Halak was certainly a starter.

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

192. andrewberkshire says:

How are you doing, Clay? I haven’t seen you around much.

193. diehardhab says:

Well said Boone! Get off the champlain bridge people!!!!

The torch be yours to hold it high!

194. punkster says:

In 5…4…3…2…1…

Hey, you watching the Celts? Great game.

FREE TIMO!

195. Tis Himself says:

Yep. I rarely watch bball, but had to watch this one.

196. punkster says:

Unreal reading all the crap flying around on this Halak trade. I wish Timo were back though. A good Timo-ism or two would add to the mix. My other secret wish is that they deal Price as well. What a s***storm that would cause here.

FREE TIMO!

197. Tis Himself says:

We need the fair and balanced views of Timo at a time like this. Well, the deal is what it is. One thing is for sure, Price has nowhere to hide anymore. We’re gonna find out once and for all if he is the real deal or just another Doug Wickenheiser. (God rest his soul.)

198. Chorske says:

True. I’m hoping that the intensity and team-first commitment he displayed during the playoffs are signs of good things to come from the kid. Because GAWD help him if he falters.

Ahem. Your Triple-T idea!!! I think GrimJim will attest that it was a part of one of my rants, you only coined the phrase Trade Tenders for the Title and GJ ,made it official with his TTT label.

200. Tis Himself says:

If Price truly wanted the #1 spot to himself, he finally has it. I hope he really is the guy Gainey thought he could be when he picked him fifth. I don’t know much about the guys we got from the Blues, but some of their followers think they gave up a lot for Halak.

201. punkster says:

However, as Tis has said many times in the past, Price is out of here as soon as his indentured servitude is over. I never took that seriously until now. If Price doesn’t show us his stuff he’ll be hounded out of town.

FREE TIMO!

202. Chorske says:

I said as much below. Way below. I’ll bet the two cases of Gennessee I got for the Kostitsyns that Price never signs here long-term.

You didn’t buy into Tank 2.0 but you’re nibbling at Trade Tenders for Title there punkie.

I said earlier today that the Habs should trade both Price and Halak because the Habs have been relying too much on goaltending since Steve Penney took the Habs to within 2 games of the SCF vs. the then campion Islanders.

Price could still get an offer sheet. Could be interesting.

TTT!!

205. punkster says:

Damn straight there HH. My Triple T play is what will give us a Cup. Forget your Tank and get on the the Triple T bandwagon!

Trade Tenders for the Title!

FREE TIMO!

206. punkster says:

The Triple T is the only way!

FREE TIMO!

207. GrimJim says:

Do you realize that if you say your post with all its Ts out loud, you end up having to clean he screen afterwards…

208. megagoten says:

hopefully people will stop hab-raging

remember the dominic moore trade?

209. avatar_58 says:

I don’t remember losing anything tangible in that trade

210. HabFanSince72 says:

Hey the news isn’t all bad. France were humiliated in the world cup. Just like in 2002.

211. Jru says:

And Mike Weir is leading at the U.S. Open… before bogeying the last 2… Good outing thoguh :)

212. Highspeed969 says:

I just heard this trade on the radio on my way home from work and thought to myself:

I never heard of any of the players coming back so this deal must be true

Can this organization do anything right?

213. Mark C says:

Look, if you’ve never heard of Lars Eller than you don’t know NHL prospects, he was a top 20-30 prospect in the league coming into the year and had a fine 21-year old season in the AHL.

214. avatar_58 says:

My boss told me it with a smile (leafs fan) I immediately said “You lie”.

I can’t believe he was right. Then again I didn’t believe the Huet trade either.

215. G-Man says:

Watch as Halak goes on to great things while “the franchise” flounders.

216. amvanimere says:

What? Come on, Halak was primed to have the stellar career of guys like
    Felix Potvin, Jim Carrey, and Andrew Raycroft. To paraphrase Koivu,
    Price will win some team the cup someday. I hope it’s us.

Eller is projected to become a two-way forward, second line, in the NHL one day.” – Hockey Futures

I’m good with that.

217. HabsFanInVictoria says:

Will the Price/Halak debate ever end, or will it be immortalized forever/  My hope is that Halak blows it and becomes the next Huet so we can all put this exercize in futility to rest.  On average, out of 1000 comments, 800 of them are ignorant negativity that does no good.  If you hate the team, the decisions management makes, and (in some cases) the players, then start cheering for another team.  I for one welcome the new players and look forward to see what they can do.

Your last sentence is reasonable.

The rest is PrimeTime/keepthefaith style pontificating and pretty much displays a severe case of the pot calling the kettle black. Who are you to tell people how to act or what to say? Halak is a fan favourite and this is a difficult page for many Habs fans to turn. AND who cares if your so much of a blind supporter of everything managment does too?

These pages are the best place to get info and insights on the Habs. I enjoy the astute negative comments as much as the astute positive ones.

Comments like yours however have no place here because they are condescending and in effect ignorant of other people’s POV. Classic ad hominem or as I like to call it ad HIOminem attacks. Debate what the person say, not attack the person.

I hope Halak excels because he is capable of it. I also hope the players the Habs got in exchange pan out as well and in the long run make PG look good. I still didn’t like this trade when it happened and I hoped Price would’ve been the one on the trading block first.

I can live with this trade because fact is I have no choice. Montrealers don’t like it and sorry to say we trump your west coast perspective.

219. habsfan0 says:

Is this an April Fools joke..in June?

220. Jru says:

I kept on saying that… it didn’t help…

221. smiler2729 says:

Perfectly put, Mike but good luck with the mass suicide by the Halakians on the main page. I’ve never read more stupid comments and crybaby whines than I have in the last hour there, I had to leave or go nuts.

Does anybody realize that there is a hockey team in front of the goalie and that said goalie can’t score so who really beat Washington and Pittsburgh?

222. hockeydoc says:

you’ve got to be kidding, the guy stops 131 of 134 shots and they win 1 goal games – I would say he beat Washigton and Pittsburgh.

223. Tis Himself says:

If people are pissed at the return on Jaro, just wait until the K bros are dealt. Those two might if PG is lucky fetch two cases of Genesee Cream Ale.

224. Chorske says:

I’d make that trade. Throw in some Wild Turkey and you can have Bergeron, too.

225. punkster says:

And I predict a transcript of the actual conversation between the Habs and Blues management negotiations will be posted soon by JD.

FREE TIMO!

226. Tis Himself says:

The most the opposition might add to the deal is a pint of Thunderbird, or as we used to call it in high school, “The Mean Eagle.”

227. aemarchand11 says:

I wish Halak the best in St. Louis, but I am still skeptical that he can keep his torrid pace up next season.. Time will tell.

Heres to hoping that Shultz can be our version of Kassian or Lucic :)

228. Rugger says:

Lucic, that’s exactly how I just described him to my Bruins fan daughter.

229. Josh says:

Halak is used to being pushed out of the way for Price.

-Calder cup playoffs

-back-up position the following season for the Habs

-being called-up to sit on the bench for an entire month while Price plays almost every game in Hamilton letting in 7 goals a game on several occasions(not exagerating that one)

-the playoffs where Price completely fell apart in 3 games against Boston and in the Philly series where he completely blew it

-now Halak gets traded after fully earning the starting position in Montreal.

Get out of the way, Price is here!

230. MikeL says:

Did Elliot Friedman seriously just ask if Price would be the number 1? I know you love the guy Boone, but that was the dumbest question I’ve heard a reporter ask in a while.

231. jbroderi says:

elliot writes good, well researched articles but he sucks on camera.  did you ever notice how he sticks kis lips out when he talks?  once you see it, you will never look at him the same!!!  haha

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

232. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Kostitsyns for Oshie!

Come on PG, strike while the iron is hot =)

233. christophurrr says:

hopefully we can bring in biron or even turco  to take some of the heat off of carey

i’m hopeful that these two guys (with size!) will work out. would it have been better to maybe just let him sign an offer sheet and take the picks? the return is a bit underwhelming, but i think expectations were way too high (carter, really?)

234. mrhabby says:

have to agree on the expectations thing..halak or price straight up for Carter…unreal.

235. Harry says:

Harry Koivu

If Halak was at his peak, so were the Canadiens. Where does the team finish in 2010-2011 after losing top contributors who were underpaid?

236. The Professor says:

Look I work on a trading desk, so I’m not surprised at all that the Habs moved Halak.. his value was at its peak. Buy low, sell high, as they say. What I really have issue with, however, is the return. One of my co-workers said it best: “If one of us made that trade, we’d be looking for a new job tomorrow”

It was for dramatic effect. I blasted his post except the last line and you lauded mine except for the last line. Yin-Yang baby.

;-)

I agree. A fan is a fan is a fan, but you have to admit, that it is still we Montrealers who party like there’s no tomorrow when the Habs win. If I was a Philly fan my pain wouldn’t be anything like the fans who actually live in Philadelphia. Well, living in Philadelphia is painful enough but you get me drift. LOL

238. GrimJim says:

Damnit HH, I agreed with you right up to your last sentence. A fan of the team is a fan of the team, regardless of where they live. I’ve never lived in Montreal yet I’ve lived and died with the HAbs all my life. My first memory of watching TV is watching a HAbs game on Saturday night with my Dad, yet by your statement my opinion isn’t as valid as a native Montrealer’s.

Other than that, I liked your post, very Rumpole of the BAiley…

239. diehardhab says:

Remember guys even Gretzky got traded!

The torch be yours to hold it high!

240. petrov14 says:

Guess im not getting that Halak jersey :(

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

241. Chuck says:

Not unless you want it in blue.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

242. Max_a_million says:

They will be on sale for half price tomorrow at the Bell Centre gift shop!

243. habsnyc says:

they made a bet on Price.  Halak was a one time bonus.  they extracted a great return for Halak, way more than they would have received for him at the deadline and got his services for the playoffs.  this is actually the best possible outcome given that Halak was never going to be the starter in montreal.

244. habitual says:

Here is the St Louis Post Dispatch’s commentary about what they gave up for Jaro:

The price was very, very high. Eller starred in the AHL last season
    during his first year of North American hockey. He seems poised to break
    out next season as a rookie.

The Blues have also failed to develop a high-end scorer over the
    years. Perhaps David Perron or T.J. Oshie could become such a player,
    but they haven’t reached that level yet.

Experts believe Eller can become at least an impact scorer, if not an
    outright star. He scored 57 points in 70 games for the Rivermen last
    season and scored two goals in seven NHL games. He played with an edge,
    despite his lack of stature, and the Blues were eager to see how much
    offense he could add.

Schultz, the 87th overall pick in 2008, is a rugged 6-foot-2,
    200-pound winger capable of scoring and fighting. He progressed steadily
    in the Western Hockey League and appears ready for pro hockey.

Given the Blues lack of blue-chip depth up front, this deal
    represented a huge sacrifice. Given that lofty price, Halak absolutely
    MUST become a star.

245. habitual says:

The price was very, very high. Eller starred in the AHL last season
    during his first year of North American hockey. He seems poised to break
    out next season as a rookie.

The Blues have also failed to develop a high-end scorer over the
    years. Perhaps David Perron or T.J. Oshie could become such a player,
    but they haven’t reached that level yet.

Experts believe Eller can become at least an impact scorer, if not an
    outright star. He scored 57 points in 70 games for the Rivermen last
    season and scored two goals in seven NHL games. He played with an edge,
    despite his lack of stature, and the Blues were eager to see how much
    offense he could add.

Schultz, the 87th overall pick in 2008, is a rugged 6-foot-2,
    200-pound winger capable of scoring and fighting. He progressed steadily
    in the Western Hockey League and appears ready for pro hockey.

Given the Blues lack of blue-chip depth up front, this deal
    represented a huge sacrifice. Given that lofty price, Halak absolutely
    MUST become a star.

246. SeriousFan09 says:

Looks like fans on both sides will be looking to see how this deal works out.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

247. Willy the bum says:

Habs may need a few blue chips on the team as well…

248. alfieturcotte says:

Gauthier is looking more like a novice than Rejean Houle did as a GM.  Come on, Halak a proven number 1 at the height of his value for who???  Surely, he could have at least traded him for a bona fide NHL player.  This will rank as a deal almost as bad as Houle’s Roy for Kovalenko and Rucinsky.  Pathetic trade.

Price will never amount to the goalie folks think he will become because while he looks like he has all the right tools, he lacks the key ingredient of a superstar — the mental strength.  You can’t learn that.  Reason why Halak was better in key moments is because he had more of it.  Price will continue to disappoint until they ship him off for a career AHL player.

As for having room to sign Pleks, I would rather spend the $5mm on a better player who actually bothers to show up in the playoffs.

Horrible move.

249. habsnyc says:

tough to call halak a proven #1 when he won 26 games this season and wasn’t even a starter in the AHL.  the decision to build around price was made years ago, this is just a consequence of it.  montreal’s poor return for him is a function of the limited market for him and the team’s unwillingness to accept salary in return.

250. Max_a_million says:

I will be warm in my Price PJ’s tonight

251. Duracell3 says:

I’ll still cheer for Halak for Slovakia and in St. Louis, going to be weird as hell to see him in that jersey though.

Not surprised at all considering cap-considerations short term, but wow, Lars Eller and some guy whose best statistic is 150pim in the WHL is all they could get? At least he’s out West and with a pretty awful team though so he can’t haunt us directly.

Worst part for Canadiens: Unless there is a huge start of the season, I won’t be surprised if Price is getting run out by January. Let’s hope Markov gets healed up and Gil is more than a pylon come next season, if for nothing else than Price’s sake.

252. Chuck says:

And we also got the room to sign Pleks.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

253. TOEmastro says:

Today, my favorite hockey team traded away our playoff star for two prospects, FML

254. JIMVINNY says:

It’s sad that your life revolves around such an unimportant subject.  I truly pity you.