So what have we got?

4679015.bin

With five sleeps until the regular-season opener, how are you feeling about your Montreal Canadiens?
Glass half-full?
Half-empty?
Still think they should have kept Halak?

Maybe it’s the afterglow of that splendid win in Quebec City, but I’m feeling cautiously optimistic about the next 82 (at minimum) games.

Goaltending is solid. Carey Price was Carey Price in his final two exhibition starts. And Peter Budaj can’t possibly be André Racicot, can he? (Hey, what’s with the goalies the Canadiens get from Colorado anyway? Didn’t we suffer enough with David Aebischer?)

The Top Six are bolstered by the recovery of Max Pacioretty, the addition of Erik Cole and the renaissance, it seems, of Scott Gomez. There will be goals, and two shifts worth of time spent in the other team’s end.

You need a good third line to win in the league now, and the Canadiens have interesting possibilities: David Desharnais, Lars Eller once he’s ready, Andrei Kostitsyn once he realizes this is another contract year, maybe Ryan White for some sand, Aaron Palushaj if he sticks.

The fourth line is a concern. The Canadiens have no Chris Neil/Shawn Thornton clones (I’ve given up on Travis Moen becoming one), and Jacques Martin has to hope he can get decent minutes out of some combination of Moen, White, Mathieu Darche, Yannick Weber (who has played himself out of the defence corps), possibly Palushaj and maybe Andreas Engqvist, who is running out of time to prove Pierre Gauthier didn’t err in letting Jeff Halpern get away.

To start the season, the D is performing a Samuel Beckett adaptation: Waiting for Markov.

I liked the pairings against Tampa Bay in Quebec City: Hal Gill providing adult supervision for P.K. Subban, training camp revelation (now that Brendan Gallagher is gone) Raphael Diaz freeing up Jaro Spacek to play the side he prefers, the fully-recovered and courageous team guy Josh Gorges complementing the offensive skills of Chris Campoli, who will be evaluated on Sunday after that nasty head shot by Ryan Malone.

(The Commentariat went bananas with rants about the lack of team toughness. Yeah, let’s start a Bring Back Laraque groundswell. Look, Jacques Martin does not coach that way. And thanks to Sidney Crosby, the NHL is waking up to the necessity of eliminating thuggery.)

The power-play looked great in QC. P.K. is a loaded weapon at the point, and Tomas Plekanec looked better back there. Diaz helps the second wave, but just imagine what the PP will be like when Markov gets back.

Be of good cheer, my brothers and sisters.

Your Montreal Canadiens are undefeated in the 2011-’12 season.

There’s a lot to like about this team, and training camp showed some nice talent in the pipeline, notably Gallagher, Nathan Beaulieu, Michäel Bornival and Jarred Tinordi – all of whom could be in action at the WJC.

Buckle up for a fun ride.

1. C_exacte says:

the glass is always half full, we have 24 kegs on tap

2. hehe

Poor Halak, outplayed by Bishop, Allen, and Elliot.
    Walsh ruined this goalie and the Blues are forced to Give Halak #1 because of the trade.

He’ll be playing in the KHL in two years.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• DearyLeary says:

I doubt that. Halak’s a good keeper, I think he’s just on a learning curve to playing a #1 role in the NHL. Price was groomed for a starting spot, Halak wasn’t and he’s learning what it takes.

You could see the beginning of it when he would just fizzle out in games in the playoffs on his run. He was tired, and an 82 game season is huge. Not every goalie can play 70 games like Price or Brodeur.

• Everlasting1 says:

Nice assessment, timing. You’re some early ancestor of the pre-troll era.

——————————————————————-
      When the Hebrew scouts investigate the Promised Land of Canaan and return to discourage the other Hebrews from entering it..”We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” [Numbers 13:33]

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• adam76 says:

embarrassing

• Everlasting1 says:

Update: Ben Bishop was sent down to Peoria. Insert foot in mouth.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• lol, thanks for playing boys.

OK HIO members pay up!

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

It is too bad Paul Mara didn’t have more skilled upside, he was a good teammate.

4. Habanero Gomez says:

Regarding Head Shots / Concussions and the new lawman of Appaloosa(The NHL)

I have been following the Habs since the mid 70’s… As a fan of hockey who could not appreciate the talent exhibited by the 75-79 Habs? To this day the New Years Eve game against the Russian Red Army stands as a an example of what the game should be; excellent goaltending (although not Dryden’s finest hour), pin-point passing, speed, fluid transition from defence to offence, emotion, scoring chances, it had everything. The one thing it did not have (other than a Habs win), was thuggery and fights…

When one watches the great Habs teams, the Islanders of 80-84 and the Oilers after them, one thing is noticeable compared to today’s game; today’s average NHL player is faster, bigger, fitter, stronger. The game moves faster, there is less room out there and even less reaction time. You can either blame the victim(Campoli) or you can blame the guilty party(Malone). And Shanny can suspend Malone for 5 or 10 games. Yes, Shanny’s harsh stance this year will and should deter “targeting the head”, as it should. The problem is that it won’t eliminate these types of hits. The game is simply too fast and there is little room for decision making when you have two bodies in motion, with momentum and other variables at play; like distance to the boards, the refs and the other players, who are also all in motion at the same time….

I have stated on here before and I will state it again. Gainey built this team and made his decisions based on two things; the new CBA and the New NHL (free of obstruction and thuggery). The problem is, many of the other GM’s undermined the spirit of the CBA with ridiculous 15 deals that are front loaded and although the NHL was quick to eliminate obstruction, it has been slow to eliminate the thuggery…. But things are going that way. Someday, people will look back and realize that Gainey was ahead of most of the other GMs in this regard.

I do wonder what Shanny would do if he saw Boston’s Marchand punching the Sedins in the head 10 times after every whistle. Is that hockey? Is that team toughness? Does every team need to have goons like Boston who’s intimidation occurs between whistles, while the refs and league sit and watch. That is not what great hockey is about. And that is not where this game is headed…

I’m optimistic that the game is heading to the free flowing, fluid hockey that we saw at the Olympics. Who cares about fighting when you can what that kind of display of skill and speed.

I personally don’t care whether there is fighting in the game or not. Fighting in hockey is as outdated as Don Cherry. The problem is, does the NHL really want to be in upper echelon of pro leagues in the US or does it want keep catering to the UFC demographic… And yes, I do watch and follow the UFC… The point is fighting belongs in the UFC and boxing. Fighting is not allowed and any other pro sport; NFL, MLB NBA, you name it… The NHL needs to focus on what makes the game great and be confident that the sideshow of fighting and thuggery is not needed anymore…

It has been a long time since I have posted and I do apologize for the length of the post…

Cheers..

• Danno says:

No need to apologize. Good stuff!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• cuzzie says:

Canada has evolved. CBC has never. Time to shut down. Dinosaurs aren’t roaming the planet. CBC should not be allowed to pollute Canadian airwaves. RIP

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

5. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

So, Tinordi’s picking up where he left off from last year:

Man, I can’t wait for him to be skating alongside PK in a couple of years.

• DearyLeary says:

The thing I love about that is that Tinordi, despite being a giant, didn’t hit the guy in the head. He’s exploding through the center of mass (and while it’s hard for him to explode upwards on anyone, he’s not leading through up with his hands). Squeaky clean hit from a big man, also good enough skating to put himself in that position. A mean Hal Gill, that skates better, would be a fantastic addition. Still a couple of years out, but I like what I see.

The fight, yeah it’s nice he won, but in the end I don’t think that’s what I want Tinordi on the team for. Spending 5 minutes in the box isn’t something you want him doing very often.

• Chorske says:

Completely disagree. We need to be consistent and criticize this kind of thing when it comes from within. Watch Tinordi closely: he raises his shoulders just at the right time to allow his shoulder pad to make contact with the opponent’s head. This is exactly the kind of big hit dumbass mentality that is getting players hurt. It doesn’t become OK just because one of our own does the hitting.

• Habifax says:

Disagree. Although his momentum is coming up when the hit is thrown he is low enough that the primary point of contact is not the head but the chest so I think this is a good clean hard hit. Now I would say that it may be a charging penalty but the hit itself is not illegal.

• I don’t think so, Chris. Tinordi bends so low to try to get body on that check. The guy is just way smaller than him. This is one that I don’t think is dirty. If Tinordi came in high, or sides swiped him or led with an elbow, I’d agree. But he didn’t.

• neumann103 says:

Agreed andrew. I think he was doing exactly what Shanny has been referring to in his suspension videos. He was trying to make the head not the target and make body on body contact. He was adjusting to try and do this. Shanny has called out a couple of guys for not doing this despite having opportunity to. eg turning what could have been an elbow to the head into a shoulder in the chest.

While I think the Tinordi hit was clean, I can easily see how the teammate Corrado could see it differently from behind and don’t really fault him for a doomed fight against the big guy. As with Josh Gorges vs Malone, no it’s not ideal and no I don’t actually think fighting ought to be part of the game but I do appreciate the importance of loyalty to the team dynamic.

“Et le but!”

• Caper says:

That was beautiful. What a hit. I was fearful that he was going to break his hand on the helmet. His bloodlines are good.

• prankstergod says:

awesome hit, impressive fight. i didn’t realize he was the Knights captain – seems like we have a one hell of a defenceman in the pipeline. the D corps will look pretty formidable in a few years with subban, tinordi, and beaulieu

• Un Canadien errant says:

Am I the only one to notice that the puck carrier had passed the puck well before he was hit? While the hit was technically proficient, no contact to the head and no elbow being used, this is still another example of the ‘finish your check’ garbage that pollutes our sport. It allows slow lumbering brutes who are a step behind the play to beat on smaller, quicker and usually more talented players. Mr. Tinordi’s hit was not strictly legal, since it was literally obstruction, but it was practically acceptable as this is the way the game is called now. When the application of the rules is tightened up hockey will be better off.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

6. Propwash says:

Hey, I got an idea…..
    Lets re-sign Donald Brashear!
    Do it PG!

• MJ says:

Yeah at least he’d serve a purpose.

• Propwash says:

Warming the bench is a good career.

• MJ says:

Tell me what do you do for a living?

• Propwash says:

Don’t think it’s any of your business, but If you must know, I operate a large format ultraviolet cured inkjet printer.

Your turn.

• HabFab says:

You really and truly can’t take your work home with you…lucky stiff!

Okay umbrella is open, pi$$ away!

• MJ says:

It’s not any of my business but it’s relevant to my point. Just as useful as warming a bench :)

I bet you’re the kind of guy that would watch someone getting the snot beaten out of them on the street and walk away thinking that there was nothing you could have done and then tell all your friends about it. Guess what in real life, you can always do something (at the very least call 911), in a hockey game do what Gorges did but is not as qualified to do as some others might be.

• Propwash says:

Way to get personal there bud.
            Shall I assume you are a surley, unemployed NHL enforcer?

• MJ says:

You might think it’s personal but I’m trying to make a point: you sit behind your laptop disrespecting others for what they do, I bet you don’t like how it felt when it was done to you.

If you must know I’m far from an unemployed anything. Since I’m not about to engage you or anyone else here in a pissing contest, I’ll leave the talk about careers at that.

How come you didn’t answer the rest and more important part of my post? It’s much more relevant to this board.

• Chorske says:

My guess is that he doesn’t address the points of your post (such as they are) because the post was written so douchily that he ignored everything but the (unnecessary) personal insult. And who could blame him?

Would have been more constructive to criticize the post, rather than the poster, MJ. The only effect of this whole exchange is that a) you’ve alienated a longtime poster and b) come off as a bit of a jerk.

• Propwash says:

It’s obvious that the sarcasm in my original post went over your head, seeing that Brashear currently plays hockey in the minors. Gorges did the right thing for stepping up for Campoli after that hit.

Boone said it himself, it’s not in Martin’s style to send out goons or even really consider dressing one, so the point is moot.

Oh, and the company I work for prints the big plexiglas backlit shots of the Stanley Cup champion teams that winds up in the Hockey Hall Of Fame. I hated seeing that it was Boston this year. My career has something to do directly for the NHL, in a tiny sort of way.

• MJ says:

@ Propwash, I am not advocating goonery. Never have. As a matter of fact, in this thread in reply to one of your posts I wrote: “BGL refused to fight anyone that didn’t fit his definition of heavyweight and that’s when he was healthy enough to play. While I don’t advocate having a goon on the team, a guy like Wiz or the way Tinordi projects to be that would have the ability to give Malone a couple of hard knocks to the head for his recklessness is what I would like to see added to this team. When you have a guy like that on your team, other team’s badasses will know that recklessness will not happen without suffering the consequences for it. Gorges did the right thing, but Malone didn’t feel a thing. I would have liked to see him catch a few hard shots to the head for his trouble and then leave it to Shanahan to hand out a suspension.” I like players that most importantly can play and can take care of the physical end of things too.

@ Chorske, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it but long time poster or not, we’re not in a union here, seniority has no bearing whatsoever.

• Wait… You haven’t paid your HIO union dues? Gtfo of here!!

• MJ says:

@AB, guess I need to hurry up then, season’s about to start.

7. Jocko says:

i don’t know what to think about all the talk on toughness on the tea m. part of me says the game is won on the scoreboard, not in the alleys. Then there is a part of me that says the game is easier to play when there is a little more respect (aka fear) and opens up more room. That’s why I hope Yemelin can crack this team (but I am having my doubts). The guy is physical, and admttedly, a little dirty. anyhow, back on topic, is there anyone on here that is in a Montreal boxing club? Maybe you could adapt a boxing style to fit hockey (ie incorporating the jersey). After developing this style, contact the team and offer them the modified course.

Can’t wait for the season to start. Let’s go Habs!!!
    I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• MJ says:

If Yemelin could fight (which he can’t), he would be a more skilled version of Igor Ulanov.

I still remember a game against the Flyers with Brad Richardson being the dirty player he was taking liberties all game until Ulanov got a hold of him and laid a beating on him that left him with two black eyes and a cracked nose. We could have used Ulanov last night.

• Chorske says:

We could have used Ulanov last night

We won the game, right? Didn’t we? Which game were you watching?

Or perhaps you’re referring to the dated notion that enforcers deter plays like Malone’s- a notion that has been disproved a thousand times?

• MJ says:

We won the game (a meaningless one) and most likely lost a player we just acquired. Ulanov is not and has never been an enforcer, he’s exactly the type of player that I enjoy watching and think this team needs. A tough as nails guy that can play the game. A poor man’s Jarred Tinordi, remember him?

• MJ says:

Unless you would describe players like Eric Lindros, Rick Tocchet, Mark Messier as goons, I don’t think you should describe Ulanov as a goon.

• Jocko says:

I know that Yemelin cannot fight his way out of a wet paper bag, and I know that he is going to have to defend himself after every clean hit he may lay out this year. That is the way of the NHL nowadays, big hit equals having to fight because of it. It’s a bunch of crap. That is why these guys have to learn to properly defend themselves. It should actually become an art!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

8. Big Ted says:

Again, I will state that the Malone hit is much more similar to the Smith hit than the MacArthur hit. Smith’s hit knocked out his man, as did Malone’s. MacArthur’s hit was much lighter in comparison. In the Smith and Malone cases, the puck carrier had his head down well prior to the initiation of contact, unlike what Malone is trying to say. In addition, Malone threw a dirty head shot to the back of Pascal Dupuis’s noggin last spring. And while he escaped suspension because of a questionable ruling, this is not the first time he has done this. And we saw from the way he went after both Subban and Price earlier in the game that he was skating around last night with the intent of starting something. No one can speak of intent in this case, but we can speak about a big player who was playing reckless hockey. All in all, I believe the suspension has to be similar to what Smith got, and if you equate the 3 exhibition games to 1 regular season game, then Malone should get 6 games. I don’t see how anything else makes sense here.

9. sag says:

Hey HH. Somewhere below, you mentioned simeone not posting here any more. I am guessing you are talking about Bugs. I suppose it could easily be The Teacher or others who have tried to debate on here and were so put off by the volitile reaction, they never returned. Guarantee they all still read though. I miss more than a few posters from the past. It would be really nice to filter the entitled, the ill-tempered, the delusional Xbox GM’s, etc. outta here to reach a higher level of post quality. until then, we will sift!

10. caladin says:

I just watched the suspension video for Clarke MacArthur and I think it bodes poorly for Malone.
    Shanny points out that “although Abdelkader was bent over in a skating position, the positioning of his head does not significantly change immediately prior to or Simultaneous with the hit. The onus is on MacArthur to make full body contact and not pick his opponents head.”
    Seems pretty clear to me. I’m hoping Malone gets five but I’m guessing it’s closer to the 2 MacArther got.

11. W35T5ID3 says:

So i have been thinking about this now for the last few days.I’m wondering just what you all think.The question is: If that neanderatheral Z. Chara had nearly decapitated Max Pac this season or lets say Shanny was at the disciplinary helm last season instead of colin campbell,do you think the neanderathal would’a got a suspension or not?
    My opinion, holy crap he gets the book thrown at him.I’d love to see shanny’s video of that play and his discipline for it.I bet he’d have at least 10 games for the nearly killing of max.What ya’ll think?

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• caladin says:

I think he would have gotten 1-3 games. (Note I didn’t say what he should have gotten)

• avatar_58 says:

Good. About time someone with a pair was put in charge

• Jocko says:

I think Shanahan would have have given him 10 – 15 games. I also believe that Horton may have gotten a game for his water throwing incident. does not look like the bruins will be getting that preferential treatment. I cannot remember his first name, but the clown who did the disciplining for the bruins last year, but I remember his last name was Murphy. My mother’s maiden name is Murphy, and I want to be one of the first to tell you what an embarassment to the name you are!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

Mike Murphy former Laff Coach, now NHL Head office flunkee, same guy that called Brian Burke for help on a ruling for a player on a team that Burke hates.

12. Hab-Q says:

Any thoughts on Cole so far?

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

~Rodney Dangerfield

• W35T5ID3 says:

COLE is the man.Perfect for this team.Exactly what we needed.No one in the media gives PG credit for this signing all they say is that they way over paid and for too long.Really?No way.Cole is a valuable player and fits right in to this team.30 goals for Cole.30 goals for cammy and 30 goals for captain gio.Book it.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

13. Old Bald Bird says:

Someone should explain to this old guy how having a tough player on the team would have prevented the Malone incident. Unless maybe that guy happened to be on the ice at the time and also could have anticipated the incident by some sort of telepathy, Campoli would have still been creamed. I guess this mythical goon, had he so happened to have been on the ice, which he likely wouldn’t have been, could have taken on Malone, but somebody did it regardless. Winning or losing the fight is not the key, standing up is. That’s what Gorges did!

• Propwash says:

Then said goon gets suspended, and you’re left at square one.

The presence of BGL a few seasons ago did nothing to stop opposing players taking cheapshots at our guys.

• MJ says:

• Danno says:

The advantage to having a tough player on the team is it MIGHT make the other team’s tough guy think twice about doing something dirty knowing there would be a price to pay. I agree fighting after the fact doesn’t undo the damage to the player who is down on the ice. But having a mean tough guy to balance things out can serve as a deterent to keep things clean during the game which the Habs simply just don’t have at the present time.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Philly-Poo says:

Whereas I don’t think we need a fighter, as our guys, as small as they are do show a tremendous amount of heart. Gorges and Campoli haven’t played together for very long (2 games) and Gorges goes to his defense against a much bigger guy in Malone. Right there that action builds team chemistry… I am going a little off topic, as to reply to your question. In this instance I do think having some muscle might (MIGHT) have prevented the incident. Prior to that hit Malone was in everyone’s grill throughout the game. He was a wrecking ball that no one could stop. If we had of had a bonafide NHL fighter, and if the coach managed to get him on the ice at the same time as Malone, he could have had words/actions with Malone way before the Campoli hit. Now there are a lot of ifs and variables in that sentence, and maybe having a bruiser wouldn’t have been a deterrent, but, we will never know because we dont/wont have one. As it is Malone just seemed to be a big bad alpha dog, and maybe he just needed someone to challenge that and get in his grill… Again, maybe not… I do agree with you fully that having a goon does nothing to prevent an incident while it occurs, and said person may very well not be on the ice to engage in fisticuffs immediately after the hit, and after would be too late as the hitter would be ejected for an attempt to injure hit, but, they are there to keep people in check prior to the possibility of having these incidents occur.
      Personally, I like our team as it is, and having a fighter takes away a spot for a guy with talent. Also having a guy who is a fighter or bruiser might very well, more often than not, take needless penalties, and further take away from talented players’ ice time and that’s a big no no for JM.

• CanadienBoy says:

HE ? would have take care of him right after the one on PK and that will have been it for Malone and spare ours new D man

14. I’m happy with what I saw in th eoff season. We added more goals with Cole and I feel our middle core will add more offense this season.

We will compete once again, and make the playoffs.

No one is picking them to win the Division (other than us), but it will be very close between us and Buffalo.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

So the whining is already starting. You can tell that there must be a few players in the league that are worried about their job security.

Maple Leafs forward MacArthur thinks NHL turning into a no-hitting league

And I quote: You’ve really got to think when you’re going to go finish your hit, you’ve really pay attention because the guy with the puck doesn’t have any responsibility any more.

Really? What a meat head attitude. Never in all my years watching hockey have I witnessed the number of head shots and concussions as is rampant in the game today.

Here’s something the players need to get into their heads, not unlike an elbow or a shoulder to it; targeting (the head) is defined as either intentional or reckless.

This trend has to continue. Players have become increasing reckless and dirty.

Malone was in FullDouche™ mode last night even giving Campoli a one finger salute after all was said and done.

To think that this disingenuous idiot Clarke MacArthur claims that removing head shots will take away all legal hits is preposterous.

I like it. I like it very much. The dangerous play on the ice has gotten out of hand and it needs to be curtailed.

Sadly it took Crosby’s concussion and the near death of Pacioretty to shift the tectonic plates. The league needs this earth shattering. Much better than a brain shattering.

16. habstrinifan says:

Can’t post much today! CROW is finger food in my house and I am gonna be eating CROW all day.

Great feeling calmly viewing a nicely played game-victory.

Now I am really looking forward to opening day!

Oh OK I gotta make one cautionary comment.

P.K gotta concentrate more on his defensive game.

But I know he will. Can’t blame the kid though.. he is fun to watch.. and yes he is still a kid.

Culinary advice! Nothing improves the taste of crow. So just boil the animal in 50% broth and 50% hot sauce and chow down!

17. RetroMikey says:

Love the way Kostitsyn and Plekanec just stood there watching Malone after the hit, it;s like they were telepathically saying to one another “I don’t want to fight him, you fight him”.
    Kudos to Gorges, but he is not a fighter.
    I’d rather have had Wiz out there if we had signed him and I assure you Malone would be severely punished on that cheap shot by Wiz.
    Habs fans, teams with no skill and big and physical are going to grind and hurt us this season, we have not learned anything from last season to improve this team whatsoever.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

18. Ryan Molone’s hit on Chris Campoli was dirty. Period. How can some people say it was Campoli’s fault? Campoli was being hooked by Teddy Purcell and was defending the puck when Ryan Malone had Campoli lined up for a bone crunching hit. Ryan Molone’s elbow was premitiated and could have ended Campoli’s career? Brendan Shanahan should sent a message and suspend Ryan Malone for 10 plus games IMHO.

Lets turn it the other way? Just imagine if PK Subban did that to Stephen Stamkos coming out of his end with the puck and was being forchecked by a Habs forward in the process. TSN, Don Cherry & CBC would light this inccident like a Christimas tree being lit up for eternity and throw the axe at PK Subban for a years suspension. Wouldn’t you think? Hope Chris Campoli recovers for start of this season? What’s the diagnosis Dr. Recchi?

19. homerbowen says:

Gorges made a mistake going after Malone as he’s lucky he was not injured. His intentions were honorable, however, he was a fool to take on Malone. We have no players capable of handling Malone (incl White). Gorges is more valuable on the ice. Until team management get a tough player (not a 3 min a game goon) we are what we are….PUSSIES. I worry about a lot of injuries this year as teams will take liberties with our players as has been done over the past few years.

20. Danno says:

Gazette Poll:

If you could have dinner with one of the following members of the Canadiens, which one would you pick?

You should list Josh Gorges.

For his courage in taking on that scumbag Malone and standing up for Campoli and his team, I’ll bet everyone here would love to have dinner with him.

I’d buy him a steak and as many beers as he wanted.

You’re a warrior Josh Gorges and I salute you!
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

21. Psycho29 says:

As long as this team stays reasonably healthy; I like our chances of going far….I prefer this team to the version Gainey blew up a few years ago…..

On another note I am happy to say I held my 2011 “training camp” this morning. I am all ready for the new season. I put new felt pads on the La-Z-Boy legs. BRING IT ON!!! :-)

22. Tony McLean says:

Video of Malone knocking out Campoli:

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

• HardHabits says:

Your sig is battling with E1’s for having the fewest brain cells behind it.

• Tony McLean says:

Are you visiting Campoli in the hospital this morning Einstein?

• Everlasting1 says:

You must have enjoyed Campoli get pasted and Gorges get pummelled.
        Btw, when is your next literary work coming out? Tanking: The Secret To Hitting Rock Bottom Without Ever Trying.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

What’s hilarious is your sig (which is devoid of any relevant content) has more to say than your comments.

Keep them coming though. It’s awesome the way you set yourself for constant ridicule.

• Everlasting1 says:

Just because you can’t understand the content, context, and the significance, doesn’t mean it’s devoid of meaning. Knowledge is something people acquire when they apply themselves. You exemplify ignorance and ‘ridicule’ things you don’t understand. If this is what you call ‘setting myself up’, bring it!

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

@E1: I’ll humour you because you obviously need some baby sitting.

Your posts are devoid of content, are always out of context, and have no significance here.

You’re existence at HIO is devoid of meaning.

Maybe you should join the WRH forums and talk hockey. At least there if you post about the league conspiracy to hand the Cup to the Bruins on a silver platter you’ll have a captive audience.

23. The HonestFan says:

I agree lack of toughness will be the teams downfall. I don’t mean goon toughness but hey buddy that’s my girlfriend and back off toughness. These guys have no school yard toughness they go home with no toys and hope mommy will help ……….

24. Bripro says:

Sorry, Boone.
    But I have to side with almost everyone who watched your video selection. Pretty feeble.
    Did you have a post-game brain cramp?

• Tony McLean says:

Post-birth. Sounds like a Leafs fan. Pop the bubbly and clear Rue St. Catherine.

• Danno says:

Maybe it’s a so-bad-it’s-good type of thing. Like Boone’s Live Blog puppet shows :-)

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. FishOutOfWater says:

any videos of last nights collision?

26. habs001 says:

ak46 will have great games and he will have terrible games …he will be streaky and he will have slumps…he will finish with 22-24 goals…this is what ak46 is,so lets accept it…

27. Sal says:

What would be nice:

That this team finally breaks into the bonified top echelons of the league, and, the only concern is how deep they will go in the playoff. Like the Red Wings. If you are a Red Wing fan, you don’t have to sit on the edge of your seat, just hoping they make the playoffs before the last game of the year. It’s a given.

THAT, would be nice.

Sal from the Hammer

• Bill J says:

The wings depth that causes this “certainty” to make the playoffs is dwindling.

Meanwhile the Habs depth creating a future stability of the same nature is growing.

There will be a time when Wings fans are envious of us Hab fans. Patience.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Sal says:

Yes, the Wings are slipping. The Devils used to be a shoe in for the playoffs and they fell off also. It’s just that the nucleus of players that make up a team that had such longevity, as the Wings have managed to do for so many years now, is really something to aspire to. It would be a luxury that, as Hab fans, we’ve not had fot many years, plus, this constant fight just to make the playoffs is exausting. I thought after the 2007/08 season, that the Habs had reached that echelon of teams, but, it didn’t take long to fall off the page again. So, with some young talent like Price, Subban, Eller, et al, to build around, hopefully that stability is just around the corner.

Sal from the Hammer

Interestingly I heard a Ken Holland interview this past week and he specifically said how much the league is changing. He no longer assumes that his team will make the playoffs and that they can use the season to get ready for playoffs. He said it is now difficult for any team to get into the playoffs. I am paraphrasing, and obviously he is a humble and smart guy. But the current NHL has very close points races and most teams cannot afford a bad month.

28. DEANDALLEY says:

That Cole fella has a wicked, wicked hard wrist & snap shot!

29. The_Franchise31 says:

Habs001- you just described every team in the league

30. DEANDALLEY says:

Price needs to take few pages from Billy Smith’s rule book!

Mainstream Media 101:

When the headline obfuscates Crosby to miss Penguins’ season opener (AP) what it really means is Crosby to miss Penguins’ season (AP)

• Bill J says:

Sorry for unrelated to this post HH, what did you mean about my campaign.

Side note, I miss being able to email other members directly.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• HardHabits says:

Have you noticed a certain somebody isn’t commenting anymore?

And I do miss the ability to email each other.

• Everlasting1 says:

He doesn’t know what he meant either.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

Obfuscates? Expanding your vocabulary thru Google? This is a hockey fan site. Just type ‘sez’.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

Look dummy_god. You’re lucky I am not a mod because I’d ban you just on the basis of your ever devolving signatures. Maybe take your head out the Chariots of the Gods Trilogy for a second and recognize that this is a Habs site and any idiot who follows a traded player more than the original team is nothing more than a troll.

Everything about you reeks of loser.

• Everlasting1 says:

See Berkie et al at anger management. They can help you accept things you can’t change. ‘Projections’ will be addressed and dealt with there. And stay off the sauce, kool-aid. It’s prohibited.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

32. Bripro says:

Price showed us last night why the Habs gambled away Halak.
    The kid is solid. But I’m very worried about his back up.
    And they didn’t push AK around much last night, did they. My man! Tough as nails. And he looked like he was having a good time.
    It’s gonna be a good year, boys!

33. WestHab says:

I usually enjoy being on the positive side of centre. I’ll say the glass is half full. Mostly because once Markov is healthy, and it will happen, the glass will be almost full. Doesn’t spell Cup but might be a better team than last year. I love the addition of Cole. He has been on my whish list for a few years, especially the years without the neck brace. Gives the Habs more offensive drive and character. last night was an important w. You want to win the last friendly game if any.

and hats off to Canada’s rugby team. They got creamed but man does it take large ones to go play that game against New Zealand.

• Bripro says:

Good post.
      And 100% on Canada’s rugby team. It was like watching Gorges against Malone. Your heart is willing them forward, but you know they don’t have a chance.
      By the way, you need to wash the glass.

• Rugger says:

Canada had a decent World Cup, but when you face NZ when they are finally starting their best for a pre-knockout round tune up (kind of like the Habs last night) keeping them under 100 points was heroic. On a side note, we lost a close Rugby game yesterday that 90% put us out of the play-offs, walking very, very slowly today!

34. Sheldon says:

Let the 82-game house league begin!

The only thing funny about that video is that I am going to call punkster Francois from now on.

I mean that was like watching an episode of Full House. Chock full of no-liners. Not to mention almost every stereotype in the book was used. I am surprised a Hasidim didn’t drop in on the skit with bagels and smoked meat.

36. sag says:

Looks like the Malone hit is the biggest topic of discussion today.
    There are other things to chew on before Thursday though:

-Campoli’s play. So far he looks like he’s a decent pick up and fits in to the habs “system” well it seems. Hope he is ok.
    -Gomez has looked really good and has spent more time around the net in the preseason than last year put together. On the give and go’s, he is actually going! You can see the genuine happiness (read: relief) when he scores. The guys in the room like him alot.
    -Diaz is smooth and has improved every game he’s played so far. You have to play him until that trend ends. Until Markov is ready, the top 6 will line juggling with Carbonneau-like abandon.
    -Roloson must take a picture of S Corson or R. Smyth into First Choice with him saying ” I want to look like this”>

Considering how little practise time Campoli had with team, he and Gorges looked like a pairing that will be very comfortable together.

• sag says:

Agreed. That is an important point as well when considering the formation of the top 6. It lets Hal “takedown” Gill play with PK. This will also allow Markov to pull a Komisarek with Yemelin or Diaz assuming he can return this year.
        If they were ever to be healthy, do the habs have too many #4-7 Dmen?

A healthy Markov would be a great tutor for Yemelin, communication alone is a big challenge for this guy never mind the different game. Maybe we will be the ones with some D trade bait as the year continues. But we know there will be injuries, I just am starting to worry about Markov. This constant waiting for him to be healthy is getting very tiring. Love the guy, but he doesn’t seem to be catching any breaks.

• neumann103 says:

Sag posted

very nice!

Yes, I don’t think there is the picture in the International Male Haircuts manual for “stringy sopping gets in your eyes grown out mullet”

“Et le but!”

37. habs001 says:

The last 2 years the team has looked very good for a series of games , scoring well ,defending well and getting key goals…but it also has looked terrible for a series of games where they cannot score or give up bad goals…hopefully they will be more consistent this year…..we had a good home record last year prior to the playoffs and we need to get back to winning and dominating games at home again…the difference between the majority of the teams is very little so winning streaks and losing streaks will happen….pp and pk will be very important keys along with team depth as injuries will happen…

38. zak says:

Bulldog scorers last night…MaFadden,DeSimone,Dumont and Willsie. MCFadden 2 pts

39. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Here would be my fan expectations for the season – we realize that Kostityn has been around here long enough that we know how he plays. Strength, speed, character, reflexes, intelligence – they all go together and need to be together. AK is a useful player who is where he can be with the tools he has.
    If we blame AK for his imbalance in abilities, we blame Gomez for his money. Yes, he costs an entire forward line. If he plays well this year, it isn’t our money. If he doesn’t, do you remember that Molson hangover you once had? Payback, man, payback.
    I sat in taverns (blame the Molsons!) listening to the old guys wanting to trade the young slacker Lafleur, saying that Lambert couldn’t skate, that Robinson was too awkward, that Naslund was too small, that Henri Richard was too old, that Roy was a flash in the pan…
    This commentariat is a typing tavern, and if we can get over our Goth period left over from the Chad Kilger era, we should enjoy this season. It looks decent.

40. zak says:

It’s not the head hunting Boone ,it’s having a player to stick up for your team mates. Guys running Price etc. Like you said Moen won’t do the job. Should have kept TTB

• --Habs-- says:

Simple! Make fighting a 1 game automatic suspension + 1 game fine 1/82 of your salary double every fight. 2 games next 4 next 8 next 16 and so on. So the teams that want to play a game of thugs like the Bruins will loose players for long periods of time. Whats considered a fight. I a punch is thrown glove on or off your suspended. A la likes of Lucic in the TB playoff game. This nonsense must stop. I’m sorry but the game isn’t the same as it was 30 years ago with coaches throwing chairs on the ice.

41. HabFab says:

Here are the stats for the Prospects from the exhibition games;

42. sag says:

The Campoli hit was dirty. Period. Give him 5. Can’t believe some on here are defending it . Scott Stevens made a career on that kind of headhunting crap. Anyone who says the game is too fast for Malone, Cooke, Chara, Downie etc. to have adjusted and target the body instead simply has not played the game and doesn’t understand how well these guys can skate, accelerate, decelerate, turn on a dime, etc. There is the occasional unavoidable collision, but most of the dirty plays we are witnessing via shannyvision are just that. Count me in on the mootfest, JD

• Danno says:

Malone made a rude gesture towards Campoli after he creamed him. It looked like he was giving him the finger. I say Shanny should make an example of this idiot and throw the book at him.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• --Habs-- says:

i agree! I hope Shanny says you get 5 for the hit and 5 for the gesture of sportsmanship after the fight towards Campolli. This stuff is coming to an end boys and I’ll tell you why! Players playing like this aren’t making 5 million a year and when they give up 10 % of their salary every suspension it becomes a problem of making a living. I still think a second offender should be a team fine or Coach suspension and fine as well. Discourage coaches from making heros out of these thugs while the likes Sidney are out for a year or Savard for life.

• Danno says:

I agree with what you are saying and I would add that any goon who is found guilty of sidelining another player should remain off until that player returns to action.
          If Chara would have been suspended for the same time Pacioretty was out I’m sure the Bruins would not have been able to steal the Cup like they did last year. It might even have meant #25 for the Habs.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• sag says:

Book ‘em Danno

43. derfab says:

Like it or not, the Malone hit remains a major part of the game. Intimidation, sending messages… To play devil’s advocate, in attempting to reach for the puck with his head down and, with a comfortable lead, skate it out of his zone, Campoli may be said to have been showing an apparently unwise lack of respect for the opposition. It may also be argued (and I’m sure it will be) that Malone let up a little and could have done much more harm… just saying… And, come play-off time, these guys get to decide series…

• sag says:

Completely agree that Campoli should have been more aware, and that should have resulted in a huge hit to our new Dman. No arguement there. My problem is that the hit only contacted the head. Malone was clearly in the wrong track to line him up from the start of his charge and made no attempt to move toward Campoli’s centre of mass at all. Then to add some flair, he follows through with his elbow. No brainer.

• cuzzie says:

Watch games from the 70’s when toughness was abound. They used a prehistoric art called Body Checks. Sometimes the head would get in the way but mostly it was hitting the body. Today you actually see players just target the head. Some say the game is faster. Bob Gainey was pretty quick and almost all his hits were shoulder to body, the way real Canadian Hockey should be played.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

44. habbsy says:

Hats off to Gorges. That my friends is a teammate. If we had somone with that sense of “team” who could actually fight, we wouldn’t see Price getting shoved into his own net like we did 5 times last night.

• kempie says:

Yep. Gorges, takes on a guy who has 4″ and 25lbs. on him to stick up for a teammate that he just met a few days ago. How can you not love JG26?

• sag says:

Look up videos of Stan Jonathan. 4″ and 25lbs is nothing.

• kempie says:

I watched Stan play his junior career in Peterborough. I don’t need to look him up.

• sag says:

Then you are not only lucky to have watched some good hockey players come through the Petes, you also have to recognize a “fighter” doesn’t see those differences as much at all.

• Bripro says:

I don’t think that was his point. I’m also a big Gorges fan and he showed us why he’ll be the captain one day.

• sag says:

I didn’t read it that way. My mistake, Kempie.

Me too. He’d make an ideal captain and he is certainly a better interview than Gionta. I always have to go to bat for Gorges (PK too) when debating against other who think he is useless. These are habs fans I am arguing with BTW. My favourite is his size. He is listed on HDB as the same size Dave Schultz was.

45. Neutral says:

I hope JM plays the lines he had against TB last night in the season opener. Those lines looked good.

No jobs on the Habs for money seekers only players who wanna work!

46. habsfan0 says:

Markov was supposed to have been re-examined Friday. Haven’t heard anything of the results which leads me to believe they can’t be that good.

47. Neutral says:

That’s exactly what we don’t want to see, malone on campoli, the hit is questionable, the elbow to the head, I hope shanny gives him 8 games.

48. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Brendan Shanahan may be the most important factor in the Habs season. If he is allowed to continue improving the game and going after headshots and cheap shots (a big if) then teams like the Habs will prosper, and the Gregory Campbells of the world will eventually have to go home and have all winter to shovel daddy’s driveway.

I’m not a Moen fan, and I expect his return to change nothing. We need a couple of more forwards who play like Gorges and Subban do on defence – who play with energy and big hearts so we can get past the era of needing guys to play with big arses.

If Shanahan doesn’t get muzzled… I don’t trust having to depend on integrity from an NHL office.

The decision Shanahan makes onMalone will be interesting. Yzerman is one of the GM’s who has been supportive of the new head shot crackdown. But this is the exact scenario where Shanahan must now essentially penalize one of his buddies teams. It is this scenario which will show if Shanahan will be fair or show a colinesque bias.

• derfab says:

Agree. Darche is a better player than Moen. We should move him for a pick or another prospect.

49. mjames says:

Another comment on the Habs by sports writer M. Boone and another cheap shot at AK46. Notwithstanding Gomez’s laser of a goal , AK made more sucessful passes than Gomez did. Also AK clearly outplayed Cammalleri. We never read mention of Cammy’s so so play or that of say Max PAC or Pleks. AK of course is fair game, every game. It is show much easier to “bully” a player in the press when he cannot respond in English. I really don’t think Boone or others have ever really tried top talk to this kid. It is so much easire verbally kicking him in the cajones.

mjames

• neumann103 says:

Fair enough on the AK hate. I really cannot understand whose pregnant sister he abandoned at the altar to generate the level of irrational antipathy he receives.

On the criticism of so-so play I am sort of half with you. I like MaxPac, but I really don’t understand the “MaxPac can do no wrong” crowd. Tomas Plekanec showed again last night how even when not dominating on the score sheet he can dominate on the ice. He setup about half a dozen perfect scoring chances manufactured out of absolutely nothing, and his puck possession and distribution is insane. MaxPac is more of the type of player that when he is not on the score sheet, is not contributing that much. Erik Cole takes abuse for this. AK46 as developed elements of his game where he is still a factor when not scoring. The fan reviews don”t reflect this.

“Et le but!”

• bobinsask says:

Agreed. Kostitsyn does frustrate me at times but so do a lot of the other players. I’ll be the first to say that he is not a complete player but tell me one guy on the team who is. Very few in the press or in these forums cut him any slack and any good game is always tempered with the comment that it is a contract year. There is rarely a sincere compliment paid to this guy.

Having said that, I wish he would have shown a little more in the pre-season but I could say that about a lot of guys. He doesn’t need to be singled out for criticism in nearly every game… no one does.

SHould have kept Halak? Try MAB. Without MAB this club is doomed.

51. JF says:

For now, prophets of doom can zip their mouths and those who had jumped off the bandwagon can clamber back on. The team looked great, ending a frustrating and worrying pre-season with a performance that promises a lot of excitement for the next 82+ games. For the first time, passes were crisp instead of fluffy, the defence pairings seemed to be on the same page, the timing was good, and they capitalized on their opportunities instead of hitting posts or missing gaping nets.

Gomez looks like he’s making good on his promises of atonement for last year. He’s faster, and instead of stopping when he hits the offensive zone, he’s driving to the net. Three goals in the pre-season – nearly half his total for the whole of last season.

I like Diaz a lot. He’s a smooth skater and he makes intelligent decisions. I think he’s won himself a roster spot, but I hope the team doesn’t give up on Yemelin yet. They chose him, they’ve been trying to entice him over for years. Now they need to be patient and give him the necessary time to adapt.

Plekanec looked more like himself last night, showing more jump and making a beautiful, patient play on Cammalleri’s goal. Desharnais also looked better.

It was great to see Gorges rush to avenge Campoli. That kind of team spirit was perhaps the main ingredient missing from the centennial team.

• mjames says:

JF I have to disagree with you on your Gomez comment about driving the net . On at least 5 occasions last night I saw him cross the TB blueline, stop and attemp a cross ice pass. Al least 4 of those passes resulted in turnovers.

mjames

• HabFab says:

I don’t believe Yemelin has been bad as much as Diaz has been better. And we all know JM will play his vets (Spacek) first. Diaz also has the jump with the language issue. It appears to me that Weber becomes a winger, who can play defense, for now.

52. Did Ryan Malone recieve a five minute penalty for attempt to injure in last nights game?

53. Neutral says:

Cammy Pleks Cole
    Max Pac Gomez Gionta
    AK Desharnais Darche

I think these lines can hold their own against any team

the fourth line. bang and crash good “D” can’t see them lighting it up much.

Moen white and whom ever maybe Engqvist they say he’s a good defensive player till Eller gets back

Defence: Gill PK Campoli Gorges Spacek Weber/Yemelin
    till Markov returns

54. pals1969 says:

John Ferguson’s hockey career began as a stickboy for the Vancouver Canucks, then of the Western Hockey League. He became interested when he saw the Vancouver Canucks star player get hit and hit and hit, and not one of his teammates stood up for him, this is what made him aware of the importance of being an enforcer.
    All you experts, ask our small players if they like taking a beating every game. Losers all of you., starting from Mr. Molson down, for letting the GM take us down this road.

55. Does anyone know where I could get last night line-up for both teams and the scoring summary? Thanks

56. HabsFanInTampa says:

Did anybody find that video humorous? I’m sorry, but that was terrible!

57. twilighthours says:

Regarding the need for a thuggish type for protectiOn: we have had Players like that in the past: steve begin and Dave Manson are the ones that, to me, fit the bill the best. While I was sad to see begin go, he did some seriously dumb stuff (the penalty late in game 4 against Philly to effectively end the series in 08). Manson disgusted me every game with his cheap play. The hit her threw on axlesson was amOng the dirtiest I’ve ever seen.

It’s easy to be reactive after something like Malone last night, but ultimately I don’t think many of us want a player like that (someone on the edge who will do dangerous stuff sometimes) on our team.

Shawn Thornton, on the other hand… Yes Please

58. twilighthours says:

And triple.

59. twilighthours says:

Double post

60. V says:

Looks like team rounding into form. Too bad about Campoli. This is exactly the sort of hit the NHL is trying to eliminate so Malone put this on a tee for Shanahan.

I would like to see the league get to the point where both players involved in the fight after the illegal hit are both suspended as well. Let’s get the ethic out of the game that says when a guy illegally concusses your teammate you are honour bound to go in and risk a concussion in the hope of concussing him. This eye for an eye stuff is a big part of the problem. Fighting should be banned.

Eventually – might take a few years to get there – these hits will be truly illegal and if you are a repeat offender, you can lose a year of your career.

• HabFab says:

“I would like to see the league get to the point where both players involved in the fight after the illegal hit are both suspended as well. Let’s get the ethic out of the game that says when a guy illegally concusses your teammate you are honour bound to go in and risk a concussion in the hope of concussing him.”

Could NOT disagree with you more!! Team means an unit operating together and you dishonour them along with Josh for taking on a much larger opponent. I don’t know you but my first inclination is that you sir don’t have much honour!

• V says:

Just saw your response. My inclination is that you sir must be kidding. You actually had me laugh out loud.

• HabFab says:

Yeah, that was just me trying to be polite! We are all entitled to our own opinions in regards on fighting, etc and that is as it should be.
          However in regards to the highlighted paragraph, I think you’re an idiot!

While I understand the calls from some people for some N.A.G. I think we need to remember that soon our lineup will include Ryan White and Travis Moen. While neither player is a heavyweight each can provide some grit. White is not afraid to stand up for his teammates and I am hopeful this can inspire Moen to do the same. Yemelin is not a fighter but will see action and will help clear the crease.

If indeed Shanahan suspends Malone for 4+ games he will feel it in his pocket and coaches will be preaching to their players to avoid suspensions. JM does not play goons so as long as he is our coach we need our team to play with heart as they are capable of doing.

Hopefully Campoli is okay, that pairing of Gorges/Campoli looks good together. I think we will be seeing a rotation of Diaz/Spacek/Yemelin. Once Markov returns Jm will have a nice problem on his hands of who to dress.

It is important for this team to have White/Moen healthy and in the lineup.

• Timo says:

Sorry buddy. Travis Moen has effectively moved into Hal Gill territory as far as speed, toughness and aggressiveness is concerned. He will drop ‘em if he has no choice, but he won’t purposely chase the aholes like Malone to clean their clock after a dirty hit. White is good, but how many games is JM going to dress him for? Team, as a whole, lacks NAG. And MAB.

White once healthy will be playing regularly. Moen, you may be right but this season he will not be pretending to be on top 2 lines. His role will be clear, either he plays that way or he may find himself watching. I do fear you may be right but am hoping your wrong.

I’m thinking your posts should all close with, “In MAB we trust”

• HabFab says:

Thought of you a couple times last night as various Canadiens blew past MAB ;)

62. Bob_Sacamano says:

It´s likely going to happen but I´d still be dissapointed if Diaz and Spacek play while Yemelin is out.

• Uwey says:

If that is the case, I will bet Yemelin is back on a plane for Russia by the New Year. This guy plays 25 minutes plus in the KHL, is considered an all-star in that league & plays for the Russian National team, do you think he will sit in the pressbox with his finger up his a.s.s. , knowing that when Markov comes back he slips even farther down the depth chart.

My guess is the Yemelin experiment has all but come to an end.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s way too early. The season hasn´t even started but I also don´t have a good feeling about it. I really hope I am wrong. I like our D but it lacks toughness when Yemelin doesn´t play.

63. Torsion Shear says:

Question for all you folks. Looking for a site that will show Habs games after they’re played. I know NHL Game Center allows you to watch games once they’re 2 days old, but was hoping for something a bit quicker. I’m working nights for the next month, so I can’t watch the games live and since I’m in a hotel I don’t really have access to a pvr.

Many thanks

• jew4jah says:

there’s a website ‘hockeystreams.com’
      on their website they claim to offer archived games (on demand streaming) but i’ve had no luck getting any additional information from them (sent 3 emails & gave up) they charge a ‘donation’ rather than a fee so it’s already a bit suspect.
      i posted a question about them on HIO a couple months ago and received mixed reviews.
      the best solution seems to be a slingbox & then remotely control your home PVR from anywhere via the net.

chara = חרה

• Bob_Sacamano says:

They can´t demand a fee because their service is not legal I think. I use it and like it more than NHL Center Ice. The games are usually added to the archive more or less immediately after they ended. So that should be good for Torsion. You sometimes get RDS too which I like. It absolutely p***es me off to have to listen to the “opponent commentators” all the time when using Center Ice. The quality of the streams is also usually very good but have not always been completely reliable.

• bandaide says:

i have it for preseason and yup the last game is available on demand and real good quality too hope that helps it is 17 bucks a month uses silerlight wmv(doesnt always work and istream for apple tv? silverlight not bad tho and ofcourse can watch other games between periods dunno vs bell or videotron pricewise but the on demand is good just dont know the delay between game and showtime
        cheers and Shalom

ps Bob beat me too it lol

• WUCIWUG says:

Just Google live NHL streaming. There are sites out there that are continually changing URLs, and the names of the ones I used escape me.

• 86ontheice says:

A PVR is the answer

64. slychard says:

What’s the story with that video? That supposed to be funny?

65. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

We need to make a move for a top 6 forward at some point during the season, to get 3 solid scoring lines, and we’ll take this thing all the way.

And perhaps were reaching that change of coach period. I think JM has 2 years left.

I was waiting for the first About Last Night but I guess this About Pre-season will have to do.

• HabFab says:

But who gave Boone that awful video!!

• Mike Boone says:

ALN coming, in some form, when the real games begin

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• Everlasting1 says:

About Last Night..The Habs took advantage of a rather undisciplined game by the Bolts, giving them pp scoring opportunities for half the game, briefly making Gomez look like one of the 3 stars on the night. Two goals were on giveaways.
      The trolls (you know who you are) were on double shifts last night as well.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

67. db says:

Anyone else notice Malone PULLED Gorges down into a DDT?

68. MasterHab says:

Shanahan can hand out suspensions til the cows come home (and just watch because the minute he suspends one of the league’s meal tickets like Ovechkin for any length of time the commish and the GM’s will come down on him like a ton of bricks) and the NHL can enact any number of new rules to outlaw such behaviour but it’s all for naught. The fundamental nature of how the game is played won’t be changing any time soon. So unless or until the Habs get it through their heads that they need a deterrant we can expect to see more of this crap.

Malone was looking for trouble in the first when he took a poke at Subban. Gill tackled him but that only proved to Malone that he could do as he liked. If someone had taken him to the woodshed in the first period, Campoli wouldn’t be in a dark room right now.

I’m not looking for another BGL who merely postures and only fights other designated goons (and only then if they accept his invitation) What I want is the kind of player who doesn’t fight for the sake of fighting but who won’t hesitate to put a beat-down on anyone who messes with a teammate. Props to Gorges for standing up to Malone but all he did was get tuned up, which again won’t deter Malone the next time.

Unless or until Gauthier and Martin learn to accept reality, they may as well take the CH crests off their jerseys and replace them with a bulls-eye because that’s all this team represents to the rest of the league right now: easy prey.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

we won right?

• 24moreCups says:

I don’t like see our players getting dirty hits or roughed up and beat up and don’t think we should pay a guy to play a couple minutes a night and fight for no reason on his first shift.

I like what I saw tonight we won the game and looked a lot better then we have, so hopefully it only goes up from here.

I have a lot of respect for Gorges sticking up for his team mate and that’s what I like to see is “team toughness” guys sticking up for each other, it shows they respect and care about each other.

It is to bad Gorges had to do that because that’s not his job or what he’s good at and I’d hate to see any of our players injured in some stupid fight, I admit that tonight after seeing Gorges with a bloody forehead I wish we had some one in our line up to beat the snot out of Malone but we won the game and that’s what really matters in the end.

I just hope Campoli is alright, can’t wait for the season to start and can’t wait to wait to have White back I like the kid(not just for fighting, just his over all game)

• jew4jah says:

depends on your point of view.. we won an exhibition game & possibly lost a d-man.

chara = חרה

• CanadienBoy says:

Good evaluation of the situation ,Malone last night Thornton tomorrow and on and on…..

• 365fan says:

I agree 100%. A tough guy doesn’t guarantee an injury free season, but he would decrease the chances of a season ending injury to one of our key guys. I just hope that we are not having this discussion in feb march or april when one of our guys is out with a season ending concussion caused by a bully that thinks he can act with impunity against us.

69. PrimeTime says:

It’s along season, which has yet to start btw, and there will good wins, bad wins, lucky wins, and more disappointments than fans can handle (as in 1+). Who knows how the drama will unfold but fans have more reasons to be optimistic of a good year than not. This was the case before preseason and will remain so throughout the year barring disaster. It’s going to be fun. Those that can’t take the bad with the good will be busting ankles and always ask for change……because they know better than most ;)

70. OneTimer says:

Nice piece, Boone!

71. PrimeTime says:

Gee. I didnt know that was the 1st head shot of the preseason. I thought I heard that the NHL has made several suspensions already in multiple games. How can this be if only MTL doesn’t have “protection” in their lineup?? I suspect “the genius” Boucher will not be so pleased with Malone’s action. Perhaps the fans reaction is strictly based on emotion. Ask “the genius” if he rather start the season with Malone.

72. Propwash says:

Every year is full of ups and downs……

Can’t wait till it kicks off! GO HABS GO!

73. ProHabs says:

“Do onto others before they do onto you”.

It’s too bad the Habs don’t have a player that could have taken care of Malone before Malone decided to take out Campoli. With the way Malone was playing tonight, it was only a matter of time before he hurt someone.

Hopefully PG and JM will do something about this sooner rather than later.

• SlovakHab says:

I also think we should have a player waiting for a suspension before it happens to other team. It certainly helps.

Just like Bruins/Penguins benefitted of having goons preventing Savard and Crosby from getting hit.

But it has been discussed here probably millions of times. What a waste of space.

• ross says:

That’s a patently ridiculous idea.

Even if our Montreal psychics perfectly predicted Malone’s behaviour (because Malone was obviously lying in wait at the blueline, just WAITING for Campoli to lower his head so he could strike!), the net effect of having our goon go after Malone first would be more suspended games for our team.

And then, what’s to stop the rest of the League from getting anti-goon goons, who psychicly predict when cheapshots are going to be prevented, and go out to prevent the preventers? No, you’d just be creating a vicious cycle. Best to not even go down this road.

74. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Much like Weber, we could have played Halak as a forward while keeping him in reserve for defensive purposes…

I was horrified by that trade, and thought we had kept the wrong goalie. I was wrong. I like Eller too. Ultimately, PG was able to anchor a key position in goals and add depth at centre. He gambled with our fan emotions and made many of us sad, but we have a better hockey team for it.

75. neumann103 says:

My initial horror was that I thought Halak was given away for essentially the same return as they would have got if another team signed him to an offer sheet in the $3 to $4.2M range.

Even up, I would have kept Price over Halak. However my point was “Try to sign them both, strong chance someone makes an offer sheet in the $3M range for one or both, then look at the options for compensation, trade or platoon for part of the season.” I know many people articulated the “Carey has to know he is Number 1″ view, but these are professional athletes, there is such a thing as loyalty to a guy who carried you to the Conference Finals on his back and even if Carey was going to be the guy, for the love of god, sign him first.

My initial wonderment was mainly that what the Habs got back was essentially a 1st and 3rd round pick +2 years. Or to be more specific, just slightly older versions of the picks you would have got as compensation for the type of contract that Halak eventually signed, and wasn’t offer sheet bait or trade bait worth at least that.

On the other, my surprise at that deal led me to an unusually long look at the question “Who is Lars Eller?” and my ongoing infatuation with a player who I think will be a big part of the Habs future.

“Et le but!”

76. ZepFan2 says:

“Sorry you’ve reached this page, but whatever you’re looking for isn’t here.

Yup, it’s a 404 page.”

I’m sure it was very interesting.

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

It is interesting to note however, Shanahan has said the League is going to review fighting and its role/place in the game.

78. --Habs-- says:

I think the Habs won plenty of SC’s without the goons! Thats the Flyer Bruin Way. Your telling me to grow up because I want fighting banned and you want to watch the fights. Interesting you telling me to grow up!

Works for me = Josh Gorges vs Ryan Malone Oct 1, 2011

80. G-Man says:

You mean protection like Bergeron or Savard of Boston got?

81. caladin says:

Except for the GM that gets fired for giving away Malone for AK.

82. Everlasting1 says:

They should implement a ‘staging’ fight penalty for starters. It’s unsportsmanlike, to say the least.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

83. DearyLeary says:

Decision will likely be handed down on Monday after a hearing. If it’s an ‘in person’ meeting it’ll be big, if not expect a couple of games.

Keep in mind that ‘in person’ doesn’t need to be in person as a player can waive their right to be present and can participate over the phone.

84. Bripro says:

I think you should put “bada bing bag(?) Boom!” at the beginning.
    A hit to the head usually disturbs the thought process.

85. cuzzie says:

Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

86. gatorhabs says:

I am sure Malone will have plenty of time to watch that clip over and over and over again during the next few games.

87. cuzzie says: