Liveblog: Max-Pac wins it in OT

Pacioretty against Nashville

For the second game in a row, the Canadiens win an overtime game on the road.
The hero in Nashville was Max Pacioretty.
A HUGE morale booster.

1. JohnBellyful says:

I think I have a solution for the power play. I like to call it the Whirling Dervish/oops, sorry, wrong thread. No, this one’s called the Willabee (cuz it’s after 11 and I’m about to go to bed; if I think of a better name during the night, I’ll change it tomorrow).
    Here’s how it works: After the Canadiens win the draw — and winning the draw is key but that shouldn’t be a problem — four Habs form a circle around the puck carrier and move as one toward the net. The defending team, of course, will try to prevent the circle’s advance and in the ensuing open ice scrum, one of the Canadiens’ smaller players will emerge through the thicket of legs to either go one-on-one against the goalie or blast a shot over his shoulder.
    I know it sounds simple but in reality it’s simplistic.

2. habfanacrossthed says:

Anybody hear what Kelly was ranting about during the intermission? Something about a certain player playing up to the level that player should play every game.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

3. Chuck says:

Loved Ryan Miller’s Twitter quote about Lucic.

4. JohnBellyful says:

HIO is divided into three camps, not two, with the third one being a middle ground occupied, intermittently, by both sides but never at the same time.

H represents the Haters – of all things JM, PG, Gomez, or combinations thereof.
    O stands for Optimists – the ones who see a Stanley Cup contender a Markov away
    Lying in between is I, the I-Told-You-So’s, who appear after every game. When the Habs lose, they wear the Haters’ colours. When the Habs win, it’s the Optimists’ sweater they have on.
    I try to remain neutral in these matters – okay, I migrate between the two camps, spending a bit more time with the Haters, because they have great guacamole – but when it comes to the I-Told-You-So’s, I hope they’re wearing the Optimists’ colours at the end and hosting a really swell party.

5. WindsorHab-10 says:

Watched the game. Good win, Budaj looked solid & deserved a shutout. Too bad Gomer Pyle chased the puck instead of Weber but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt since it was his first game back.
    Ryan Miller stunk tonight against the Gooins. Any chane he’ll stink Monday night? I doubt it.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

6. habsolutely416 says:

why did gionta take the defensive zone faceoff that lead to the SHG? bad decision by someone….

ill be in the slot ;)

7. RGM says:

Just in case y’all haven’t heard: http://bit.ly/sxReux

Great win tonight – it wasn’t the most exciting victory, but I’ve often said I’d rather watch a 2-1 victory than an “exciting” 6-5 loss.

My man Josh has been on the ice for the last three goals. He’s got a modest two-game point streak going. Who needs Markov? LOL
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

8. Slightly Habnormal says:

Good win for Les Boys!…After watching the last few games I believe Pierre Gautier should bring up a new rule change at the next GM meetings…Declining penalties! Are we up to FOUR shorties against us this year? I think that’s about two or three less than we have powerplay goals!

I say have the opposing player offer an apology to the player he maligned (“Sorry for the high stick. I’ll help you find your teeth. I feel shame”) then back to five on five hockey. Safer that way.

————————————-
    The more you know the less the better!

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Having Pleks on the point during the PP is not getting it done for us. But that’s what useless coaching brings. No imagination.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

Tyler Seguin has 11 goals and 9 assists in 15 games. Boston is on a 5 game winning streak scoring 30 goals in the streak. Unreal.

• citizenSanto says:

Much as I hate them, you gotta respect those numbers.

—————————————
      Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
      – Augustine of Hippo

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Bullcrap. Never respect the Gooins. It’s law.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

• citizenSanto says:

Respect in this case means not underestimating them the next time we play. I’d still like to see the entire bunch of a-holes sleeping with the fishes.

—————————————
          – Augustine of Hippo

10. Jdub1515 says:

Boston just won 6 – 2 and scored six of them unanswered
    I wonder how that feels to watch a habs team win like that … I’ll have to ask my father.

11. twocents says:

Keep Palushaj with the team, insert White when he’s ready, sit Darche, trade Gionta and Gomez, sit Gill, Diaz or Spatcho every few games, get Yemelin ice time.

The future is now!

12. C_exacte says:

and next week???…le GRAND RETOUR of Andrei & Andrei!! get the Russian gangsta hip hop ready on your iPod PK.

13. Hab-Q says:

we gained ground on sabres and laffs tonite.

Bruins seem to have awoken from their slumber,
    but we already got their number.

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

14. Kooch7800 says:

Great shot by max P and nice pass by pk. Good all around but was a close one.

For all those DD haters out there he doesn’t seem to be doing to bad in my opinion and is currently 3rd on the team in scoring. Can’t argue with production

• Sean Bonjovi says:

MaxPac should have been in the blue paint screening the goalie when Subban skated into the slot, not floating out near the face off dot.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• citizenSanto says:

leaf him alone why dontcha.

—————————————
        – Augustine of Hippo

• Hab-Q says:

Pikka corner on Pikka Rinne

______________________________________________________
      “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

15. chemic says:

godamit, i had a very nice rant in my pocket, ready to bash all the smurfs, the count and booodai and now those knuckleheads come up with a win….how dare you, JM!

• PrimeTime says:

Sat night, a close game win, and your post is #624. (1/2 are rants about JM and Gomez). What does that tell you about this site??

• citizenSanto says:

tells me there are a lot of leafs in habs’ clothing running around.

—————————————
        – Augustine of Hippo

16. vic says:

What is Gomez suposed to due score a goal everytime hes on the ice.
    For get the and watch a hockey player.He passes to the front of the net because our defensive players wont go there its not his fault.
    It seems tries to act as if they know about hockey and need something to bitch about

• krob1000 says:

we’d settle for a goal every 10 games or so but he is currently pushing 50 games without one. That pass in OT was horrible…4 on 4 is all about puck possession….circle the net or something but do not pass it through the crease blindly and leave yourself behind the net and play and create 4 on 3 the other way…no defending that ..it was stupid.

17. PrimeTime says:

Gonna be a quite here tonight…..except for the redundant Gomez slaying. Funny how the HIO commentary was all about Shea |Weber, Sergei, and Trotz all day……maybe I’m a little slow to follow but weren’t Habs supposed to lose this game???

18. Chuck says:

59 power plays, 7 goals. And 4 shorthanded goals aginst, which means that the power play is net 3-for-59, or a whopping 5.08%.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t think it’s Markov so much that’s missing. The Habs are a Wisniewski, a MAB, a Schneider, a Streit, or a Souray away. It’s the booming shot from the right point. Maybe put Weber there on the PP.

• twocents says:

Not in my opinion, you have Markov dishing to Subban, Pleks, Cammy, Weber, Max, AK, Cole and we’ll see that we have shooters.

• HardHabits says:

Even with Markov in the line-up (and I do agree he can dish those beauty passes to a shooter at the side of the crease) the Habs big weapon was the cannon from the blue-line. Souray begat Streit who begat Schneider who begat MAB who begat Wisniewski.

• twocents says:

Subbie and Weber will thrive with him setting them up.

(btw, Wiz never played with Markov)

• HardHabits says:

I never mentioned Wiz playing with Markov. I said the PP depended less on Markov than on the booming shot.

I’d love to see Markov dish to Subban or Weber. I’d even like to see Spacek do it. Don’t ask me why Plekanec is out there?

• FormalWare says:

You clearly mean a net 3-for-59. Abysmal; agreed.

If Eller were pronounced “Ell-ay”, Larry would be #2 with a bullet!

19. piter says:

Good game Boone, cya then

20. sampson12 says:

Habs have won 6 of their last 8. Keep it rollin’.

21. twocents says:

As I’ve been saying for a month or so, time to hand this team to the kids.

Trade Gionta and Gomez(if possible), hand the C to Gorges and let this team assume the identity they’ve been hinting at since mid-season last year: young, fast, a little bigger, and very talented.

• HardHabits says:

Pax, Subban, DD and Gorges were on the ice for the winner. Gomez, Gio, and Cammy for the goal against. But IMO that was an awful line to put on regardless of it being a PP. Defensive zone face-off lost by Gio, a missed assignment at the point again and a goal against.

• twocents says:

I’m telling ya, the future is now. No need to rebuild, just give the ice time to the kids.

Eller too, give him 18 minutes with AK and Cole or Cammy and watch the numbers start to come. Give them all the PP minutes. Give Cole 18 minutes.

• habfanacrossthed says:

So Gionta and Cammalleri are responsible for Gomez’s gaffe? He has the point!

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• PrimeTime says:

patience….it will come

• twocents says:

No, I’m not a hot head, I’ve seldom made impatient posts. I really feel the moment is ripe.

You’ll never get more for Gionta than you will right now. And these kids need to be handed the reins.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t think you can trade Gio now. He actually contributes a lot regardless of size. I am thinking maybe Cammy could get more on the Market. But only at the trade deadline if the Habs are way way out. If they are in it there is no way anybody could be moved. Except of course Gomez. There is no defending Gomez. He was responsible for a goal against and provided a major scoring chance against in OT. Gomez is done in this league by the looks of things. Maybe a stint in the AHL might rejuvenate him but right now he’s hurting more than helping.

22. Mark C says:

I see the 1-3-1 has produced 0 goals on an exciting 12 shots in 45 minutes tonight. Why can’t JM get with the times and play this brand of hockey!

23. JohnBellyful says:

Other than that bonehead pass to nowhere in OT, Gomez didn’t play that badly. His mere presence on the fourth line at least gave JM an excuse to use it more frequently than has been the case of late, and that’s a good thing in the long run.

24. durocher says:

Beautiful shot by Max Power — he was standing still too, and was still able to rocket the puck passed Rinne. DD, Cole, and Max Power were the best line for us by far.

Diaz and Weber both made mental errors, and neither has been effective on the PP, yet Emelin sits upstairs. I don’t know what Gomez was doing on the Preds’ goal, he skated towards the wrong D off the face-off. Elementary mistake there.

A win is a win, though it’s not an inspiring one. We have work to do.

25. jo_maka says:

Subban have been on both Habs goal, setting up Patch on the last, passing to Gorges for the first, a ghost penalty, less flashy, very efficient…….and of course, L’Antichambre must throw him under the bus……..

No words on Weber’s horrendous turnovers…..
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• durocher says:

Weber is the golden child — he makes mistakes, and our PP was another 0-for. It doesn’t make any sense to me. Diaz has even less reason to be in the lineup.