TORRES! TORRES! TORRES!

tor_83244

Photo by Rich Lam/Getty Images

Did you have Raffi Torres in your pool to score the only goal of Game 1?

Taking a pass from Jannik Hansen, the third-liner beat Tim Thomas on Vancouver’s 36th shot.

Roberto Luongo made 34 saves for his third shutout of the playoffs.

Not a great game. Through the first 40 minutes, the refs called a dozen penalties. The parade to the box disrupted both teams’ lines and prevented any rhythm or flow developing.

Worse, it left the players confused as to what might or might not be called, resulting in a series of dives that made the game look like the Serie A final.

Don Cherry called it “the worst game I’ve ever seen in the Stanley Cup finals.”

The Canucks have won the opener of every series they’ve played.

A dark cloud on the horizon: Dan Hamhuis was hurt early in the second period and did not return. But Alain Vigneault said his defenceman was “fine”.

Ian Mendes of Sportsnet Tweets: Other teams with Game 1 shutouts in Cup Final: ’08 DET, ’03 ANA, ’01 COL, ’84 EDM, ’83 NYI. All won Cup.

The topic of  Thursdays controversy will be Alex Burrows.

Did he bite Patrice Bergeron?

1. mike3131 says:

I still can’t see how Burrows bit Bergeron…

• Duracell3 says:

idk, I think he did. He’ll probably get 1 game. Even if he did though, he certainly didn’t go out of his way to do so, the finger was placed awful close by Bergeron.

2. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m really enjoying watching the scumbags like Ferrence, Lucic, Marchand, getting smashed around. Looks good on em.

3. habstrinifan says:

Thought just occurred to me while watching this game. Could Campbell’s -Shanahan’s sudden switch have been prompted by some sort of revelation soon to come re Campbell’s favouritism of the Bruins.. it always seems that he dealt so leniently with them.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

It already happened. Cambell sent emails to the head reffing supervisor complaining about various calls made against his son. He tried to have a certain ref fired for calling what he considered “soft” penalties against his son. In doing that it clearly gave an advantage to whatever team his son played for. When you look at the emails that leaked, they basically amount to “stop calling penalties against my son or you’re fired”. Also, we only have access to the emails that leaked due to the court case regarding the fired ref, just imagine all the emails we don’t know about.

• Sal says:

Hope the e-mails come out. prove what we already know…

Sal from the Hammer

• TomNickle says:

go to mc79hockey.com

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thanks, that must be the article the tool from NESN was complaining about. I hadn’t read till now.

• TomNickle says:

No it isn’t actually. But it’s Tyler Dellow’s blog. The fellow who put the pieces together on the Campbell emails and showed that three of the four referees who have been chosen for the Finals called the fewest minor penalties among eligible referees on Gregory Campbell. But we’re all just conspiracy theorists.

• Alexandra says:

Those emails you’re referring to occured years ago whilst his son was in Florida; they’re not recent.

Geez….Nucks getting every call their way. Now I’m suspicious of the refs being told to bring that Cup to Canada.

4. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Man the Nucks are doing everything but scoring!

5. otter649 says:

Hard to believe Boston had no PIMS against Tampa in game 7 while watching this game with Van City….

6. Propwash says:

BS penalty on Burrows

7. _Habsoloutly_ says:

What a disgusting dive by Thomas!

• Sharks9 says:

That was horrible, not to mention he was 5 feet out of his net. He thought they were going to score so he dove so he could complain if they did. Brutal.

25 before 14

8. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hamhuis probably has a sore hip flexor after that hit on Lucy.

9. mike3131 says:

I’m watching on NBC and they do not show the Green Men. Can you see them on CBC?

10. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Welcome home Lucy, you ape.

11. zerolegel says:

Lapierre on Chara, yay!

12. Sal says:

Nice Hit!!!! Hows that Lucic? Maybe you can sucker punch him later…

Sal from the Hammer

13. hansolo says:

The gooning starts..

14. RGM says:

Awesome back body drop by Hamhuis!

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

15. Mavid says:

dirty dirty dirty…

second place is just the first loser

16. hansolo says:

Is Vancouver in on the fix? How else can one explain the brain-dead penalties taken by Burrows? For Gawd’s sakes, biting a finger on a gloved hand?

17. Sal says:

Dr. Rechi stupid shot selction…NBC better than CBC

Sal from the Hammer

18. Sal says:

CBC only shows Cherry predictions when he guesses right.

Sal from the Hammer

19. Psycho29 says:

Cherry is pissed…..no portrait of the Queen in Winnipeg’s new arena…

20. Chuck says:

Bruins suck! And the fact that Grapes is pulling for them on the National Broadcaster makes them suck even more!

21. issie74 says:

I get the feelin Mr Boone Raffi is biddin his time.

22. WeCheatEmAndHowe says:

testing 1,2,3

23. doug says:

God I hate the Bruins. Please may they lose.

24. habstrinifan says:

It’s early but which team seems to have an edge???

I think Boston.

25. RGM says:

Question: If the Bruins were in the Cup Finals against a team consisting of Saddam, Qaddafi, Ahmedinejad, Kim Jong-Il, Hitler, and Stalin….who would you cheer for?

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

26. Malreg says:

Maybe the Bruins shouldn’t have the hardest shot in the league in front of the net on the PP?

Bruins have enough gorilla’s to place in front of the net, but of course who am I to argue with the less than 10% effective powerplay?

27. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wow, Julien the Hut should be fired just for the fact the Bruins PP is so damn awful.

28. WeCheatEmAndHowe says:

Guys, as we’re dealing with tornadoes down here, but I still want to get my prediction in — Bruins in 6! Potentially becoming a dynasty (we have a top 10 pick again this year and Savard may be back) for 10 -12 years. Think Red Wings, but picture black and gold.

Hopefully you all root for the B’s — we’d root for you if you ever get back into the SCF.

29. HabsFan2 says:

“Chara gives Burrows an extra tap”

Boone, you lie. Only the Habs give taps after the play.
    Just ask any Bruins fan.

———————————————-
    R.I.P. – K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

30. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Nice acting job by Chara.

31. Psycho29 says:

Lucic with the extra shot AFTER the linesman gets in between

32. punkster says:

Boone…why do you have a Justin TV link on the top of your live blog?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

33. EricInStL says:

well 2 things for sure, 1 Quebec coach will win the cup ad one will get fired

34. EricInStL says:

Ron Jeremy sings ?

35. sidhu says:

Lucic plays the sax? He also plays the skin flute.

Go Canucks!

36. EricInStL says:

Free speech is not an option with Mr Boone.

• RGM says:

Free speech is not the purview of Mr. Boone. A private website does not have any control over your right to express yourself.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Can someone please knock over Cherry in his ivory tower?

38. EricInStL says:

Go Bruins…….

39. Sean Bonjovi says:

If the Bruins team that played games 2 & 7 against Tampa shows up Vancouver can’t beat them. I’ll cross my fingers and hope the Bruins take some dumb penalties and Timmy Thomas gives away a couple games.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

40. nek25plus says:

If i am lucky…Vancouverites will boo Lucic!

41. OneTimer says:

Vancouver has an edge on the powerplay, huh? Fear not, Boston supporters, if it goes to Game 7, the officials will not call a single penalty all game, and let the best 5-on-5 team win…

(…just like against Tampa).

42. Anyone see the vid about Hal Gill pretty cool…http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564437
    Also vote for Carey Price in the semi-finals of the TSN POY!

Habsnation is still standing.

I just picked up some beer for the game at my local dep. In walked a shirtless quebecois dude practically with the smoke hangin’ off his lip. As he was buying his 3 magnums of labatt dry and the owner and patrons were talking hockey people asked who bare skirt wanted to win. His answer. Boston. In his mind that would mean Montreal got beat by Cup champions and his reply was that that way we were closer to the Cup.

So if Vancouver trounces Boston it means the Habs are that much further away.

44. ThatOldChestnut says:

Sorry, but the best two teams in hockey this season were Vancouver and either Detroit or San Jose. The West is best.

45. G-Man says:

Sure hope that dog is neutered.

46. _koopy_ says:

funny video about the Boston-Vancouver series. watch the whole thing:

47. Neutral says:

Boston found a way to beat the Habs D they found a way to beat the 1-3-1 and they’ll find a way to beat vancouver.

• G-Man says:

The only beating those dregs will get is going to be administered in a little bit. Just watch.

• Steven says:

Firstly, if you’re a B’s fan(Despite your name) I give you kudos for not bashing the Habs and praising their D.

But to get back on topic, I think the Bruins’ luck is over. They got quite a few lucky bounces against the Habs that probably decided the series, but absolutely dominated Philly and, in the games they won, were just plain better than Tampa in most facets.

Despite that, Vancouver is just too powerful to beat, it seems. If the offence isn’t working, their defence and Bobby Lou seem to be able to play a close game. If the back end is faltering, the Nucks just seem to find enough offence to win.

If Boston wins, it’ll be either a huge underdog win, or a total collapse by the Nucks.

• HardHabits says:

I think the series will come down to home ice advantage, the wild card variables being:
        – face-offs
        – goaltending
        – specialty teams versus 5 on 5 play
        – officiating

If Boston plays both physical and disciplined they can win.

48. dunno if you are aware but vote for Carey Price in the semi-finals of the TSN POY.

Habsnation is still standing.

49. Gindan69 says:

Mr “hockey play” finally removed from fixing games in his ivory tower.

50. petefleet says:

Yesssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! Colin Campbell is gone. He should have been fired 2+ years ago not allowed to resign. Useless piece of s**t. Glad he’s gone. So glad.

***Habs Forever***

• Steven says:

About 3 series too late, however.

Makes you wonder if Shanny’s going to give the Wings any preferential treatment though. I doubt it.

51. Ron says:

This was in reply to the gent who hoped lucic pounds Kesler tonight and the whole sequencve left the board… First you hoped for Ben Eager to pound the sh@t out of Kesler last series and now lucy this trip around. What about Kesler do you dispise so much ?

I wanted Tampa to put the boots to the Bean Town Bullies, but now Vancouver has to get the job done!

I could not fathom the thought or sleep with the CUP in Boston.!

• Keith says:

It would almost be as bad as…gulp, if the laffs won Ian. I don’t even want to think about it.

• Steven says:

I’d rather the laffs win.

Maybe I’m not old enough to despise them, but they at least don’t play like goons, even if the team is engineered to be a tough team. Also, they’re Canadian, so that almost gives a reason to like them should they be in the Finals.

But otherwise, screw em.

53. TorontoHabsFan says:

I can only imagine the coals Gauthier would be raked over around these parts if he was forced into a similar situation that Feaster was in CGY with Erixson…the metaphorical pitchforks would be out in all their impotent glory!

54. habstrinifan says:

OK I have to retrieve my prediction before game 1 starts.

OOps. it said I said Tampa will beat Boston and then beat Vancouver . Oh Well.. I was off .. just a bit.

As I read further I see I said whoever comes out of the East will win the CUP and that it will be a short series.

I had also predicted the Sedins WILL SHINE against San Jose.. and they did.

Alas the Sedins wont against Boston. They will have the same trouble they had against Chicago.

Lucic will have a huge series.

So my prediction, alas stands.. Boston in 5 .. most 6.

I hope I am wrong. But those guys have just gained more momentum than Vancouver I think.

• naweed235 says:

those Aholes havent gained crap… the only reason they are still in the playoffs with their pathetic PP is their goaltending… The only way Boston is gonna win these series against a much MUCH more talented, speedier vancouver is if Thomas stands on his head which I really doubt… Vancouver has way too much fire power and they crash the net too effectively for Thomas’s rebounds not to be taken advantage of… I say VanCity in 5!

• habstrinifan says:

I would like you to be right. But I agree with Boone Thomas is better than Luongo and overall I think the Bruins are more resilient than the Canucks.

Gawd I hope you are right though.

55. JohnBellyful says:

As much as I loathe and despise and curse the Bruins — that’s when I’m feelin’ charitable — I don’t want to be accused of underestimating them. Their overcoming a two-game deficit in the first round cured me of that. So you can understand why I’m bit leery about proclaiming Vancouver the eventual victor; Luongo and the Sedins have yet to persuade me they are clutch players.
    So I decided to flip a coin, heads Vancouver, tails Boston.
    Hmmm, just like in the commercial: The winner is Vancouston. Or is it Bostouver?
    This series has me on edge.

56. Greg says:

Vancouver can score goals, prevent goals, and throw big hits.
    Boston has an anemic power play, slow defense, and a goalie that can perform miracles (or not).

Hmmmm, classic series? Unfortunately not. Boston will have to play out of their MINDS to make this even remotely interesting. Every team that Vancouver has beaten so far is better than Boston.

57. HabFanSince72 says:

It doesn’t look like that incompetent jerk Colin Campbell is going anywhere.

But as a reminder that the NHL are not the most corrupt sports organization, here is the ballot for the recent FIFA election. Stalinesque!

58. HabFanSince72 says:

On another thread there was a long debate about a joke someone made in which the Bruins charter crashed into the mountains and everyone on board died – or something.

I actually have to agree with the Bruin supporter.

That joke wasn’t at all funny.

No. Funny would be the Bruins bus crashing at high speed into a stanchion on the highway and everyone on board (except the driver) getting a fractured spine.

Now that would be funny.

Gill provides something the Habs lack a lot of, size. He’s no slouch on the PK and is a recognized leader on the team. I am on the favoured side of neutral on this. 1 year term for the salary is OK. That frees up 6.083 million next season (with Spacek off the books) giving the Habs some flexibility. Add Moen and its 7.583 million. Habs could almost sign Gomez with that. Wait a minute? Nevermind!

60. Sharks9 says:

Interesting fact: EA Sports simulation predicted a Vancouver-Boston finals at the start of the year with the Canucks winning it in 7. The simulation is 13/14 in picking series winner’s so far in this years playoffs! Looks like a Canucks cup win to me!
    25 before 14

61. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Whats funny is that people actually think Cambell just “stepped down” from this position. hahaha I mean really? Let me tell you folks, in the good-old-boy network that is the NHL, “stepping down” means the owners told him he has two choices:

#1 – Be publicly fired for doing such a horrendous job as head disciplinarian.

or

#2 – “step down” and move on to another position.

What choice would you take if your boss offered the two?

• Malreg says:

Well he’s still the VP of Hockey Operations for the league, he just won’t be handling any discplinary duties.

I believe the ref’s will still report to h im.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya, I just noticed that reading the story on TSN. I’m starting to wonder if this is just a big dog and pony show by the NHL to make it look like the process is fair now amid all the outcry over Cambell and his conflict of interest.

62. Newf_Habster says:

Canucks in 5!

63. Aybara says:

Vote Price for TSN’s play of the year

If Vancouver wins this series with the Sedins playing well, I suspect Don Cherry’s head may explode. He will give all credit to Bieksa and Kesler (whom he claims thanks to his vocal warnings has quieted the chirping).

Watching Vancouver win and Cherry watching his beloved Bruins lose will force me to watch each Cockroach Corner.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• J_P says:

I dont think there is a bigger Homer in all of national sports broadcasts than Don Cherry. When you’re in the national media, on NATIONAL tv broadcasts, you’re supposed to be impartial.

Can the NHL just give the prime playoff rights to TSN already? Either that, or CBC needs to clean house of everyone on their hockey broadcasts outside of Ron Mclean and Kelly Hrudey. I actually watch playoff games on RDS just because I cant stand anyone on the CBC broadcasts.

• Mike Boone says:

Elliotte Friedman is good. So are Hughson and Simpson.

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger
        Gazette City columnist
        mboone@montrealgazette.com

• kempie says:

I’d add Kevin Weekes and Cassie Campbell to that list. I like Hrudey as well. In the other corner, we’ve got Cherry, McLame, Healy, Galley, Stock and Big Daddy Milbury. It’s no contest really.

• TomNickle says:

Cassie Campbell referred to Zdeno Chara as a classy guy via Twitter last week. I would have to agree and say that he was at his classiest when he said that Max Pacioretty jumped into a stanchion. Hiding in a bus was classy too.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Kevin Weekes is good.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• TomNickle says:

Simpson’s great and I think he does a good job of keeping Hughson restrained. But if I hear from Hughson how the Canucks are taking it to the opposition when the puck has been bouncing off of Luongo with the frequency with which Lindsay Lohan bounces in and out of rehab I’m going to be sick.

• kempie says:

Wow Cassie said that? Yikes! Okay, withdrawn then. Still, she’s gonna have to do better than that if she wants to run with the big boys.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The Three people you named are terrible with Elliotte Friedmas in particular being the only man “clown enough” to rival James Cybulski.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• naweed235 says:

lol if u think Cherry is the biggest homer u should listen to Jack Edwards of NESN… The guy’s commentating is puke inducing for any non B’s fans…

• habsfan0 says:

Don Cherry’s head would REALLY explode if Toronto and Boston ever met in a playoff series.

I’m not speaking for Mike Boone, but I wonder if he meant that the two best teams (from each conference) are meeting for the Cup. In that regard, you could say he was spot on.

Detroit and San Jose weren’t that close so it’s a no brainer in the West. Chicago were the western version of the Habs – close, but no cigar. I think it’s safe to say that the Canucks have been the best team throughout the year.

Montreal and Tampa may have gone seven games against Boston, but they both lost so you have to give the Bruins their due. Washington was once again a disappointment and Pittsburgh never really stood a chance after losing Crosby and Malkin. The conference was up for grabs and the Bruins connected all the dots, including three trade deadline deals. The only game the other eastern teams can play right now is the ‘what if’ scenario.

• J_P says:

Im not giving the bruins anything. They have had every advantage all year long. They’re filthy goons, they have no respect for their opponents, no respect for fans, and they’re classless across the board. Boston and Philly seem to have this thing where the second a player puts on their jersey, no matter how classy he was in the past, he becomes a classless goon. Cam Neely is a loser who never won anything, and I hope that trend continues.

Im sure Campbell only stepped down prior to the start of the series because the NHL knew that if Boston wins the cup a lot of fans would be screaming foul.

66. habsfan2442 says:

Bruins just have to loose… this cannot happen

67. habsfan2442 says:

This was posted on a friend of mine’s FB Page.. She is a HUGH Bruins fan…

“The Bruins are Boston — not the glitz, but the grit. The Bruins are where character and teamwork matter over individual achievement. The Bruins are the drumbeat of a tribe that is Boston — played in the neighborhoods, heard in the bars and felt in the streets. It’s about the cup so get to work.” GO BRUINS

Im just not feeling her Vibe here… Anyone see my point?

What if the referees, with collusion from Bruins owner Jeremy Jacob’s pal Gary Bettman and outgoing league disciplinarian Colin Campbell, father of Boston Bruins player Gregory Campbell, didn’t fix the Stanley Cup Finals?

History will be made.

• J_P says:

Im with you on this one. I hate to be the conspiracy theorist, but if the Bruins win, there’s way too many conflicts of interest to consider it legitimate for me.

69. secretdragonfly says:

TSN reporting that Colin Campbell stepping away from his role as head of the NHL discipline committee

70. Psycho29 says:

Colin Campbell to step down from the position of NHL discipline and is expected to be replaced by Brendan Shanahan.

In other news the Boston Bruins announce that Gregory Campbell will not play in the Final series versus the Canucks.
    They also plan to draft Sue Shanahan, 15-year old daughter of Brendan in the 2011 amateur draft.

• TomNickle says:

As funny as that is I think we’ll see a disciplinary committee formed under Shanahan that includes Mathieu Schneider and possibly a former or current referee.

• Psycho29 says:

That would be ok with me. There should never be one person making those decisions, especially someone with their son playing in the league.

71. MathMan says:

“But you could make a pretty good argument the 2011 Stanley Cup final matches the two best teams in the NHL.”

Uh… What?

No. Just… no.

Not even close. Try Chi-Van or SJ-Van, or SJ-Det maybe. The West has most if not all of the real elite clubs.

Boston is nowhere near to being the best club in the weaker Eastern conference. For a team that supposedly got better through the playoffs (another favorite cliché), they got utterly torched by Tampa and only narrowly survived because the Bolts’ goaltending let them down. And Vancouver is better than Tampa and has better goaltending.

Boston are possibly the weakest club Vancouver has faced to date. Despite the polite fiction surrounding the SCF, this series is a mismatch. It could be as one-sided as anything we’ve seen this year.

• G-Man says:

I would very much like it to be a lop-sided as you propose.

• MathMan says:

I expect Boston to play better than they did against Tampa. I don’t think they are a match for Vancouver, but with Thomas they should be able to make it look pretty competitive. I don’t think they win unless Luongo has a meltdown however.

And the chance of a completely one-sided series certainly is there, after Tampa outchanced them about 3-to-2 over the ECF…

It’s just that calling Boston the second-best club in the NHL is either polite fiction or just plain silly.

72. JD_ says:

Time for a Broonzifixion™.

73. habstrinifan says:

I wrote on this matter under the Hal Gill’s signing thread. But I am so convinced that it contains an important clue from Gill in the interview he gave to Tony on TEAM990 that I would like to repost it here for feedback.

“One other very very significant caution is the assistant coaching when Muller goes. If you listened to Hal Gill’s interview on team 990.. a lot of it was plain except the part where he said that the ‘DYNAMICS of the team/room WILL CHANGE with Muller GONE and management MUST address it for next season”. It is an inescapable indication that some of the rumours we hear re the players needing Muller to offset JM is real.

The words DYNAMICS WILL CHANGE and MUST ADDRESS are Gill’s verbatim ….if my recall is correct.

Very powerful words to measure an assistant coach’s leaving.

What do you folks think.. are you concerned?

• TomNickle says:

I would only be concerned if they hired the wrong person. Muller will be a fine coach. But his role while difficult to fill is not difficult to perform. If you have somebody that is willing to do the job and stay consistent with it, there should be no reason for concern. If you hire somebody who doesn’t know what face your players need to see or what message they need to hear, it’s a big concern.

For this reason, I would give strong consideration to a coach who has been fired and realizes that they have a lot to learn and understands that a secondary voice is required.

• habstrinifan says:

I think, with all due respects, you are ignoring the gravity of the phrase ‘dynamics in the room’. Team athletes, especially hockey players, are very much impacted by the environment of the room and it strikes me as at least important that Gill sees Muller as establishing that environment and goes as far as saying that it is something that management WILL have to address.

• TomNickle says:

I’m not ignoring it at all. Muller the person and Muller the coach are two different people. With respect, I think that you might be joining the two of them together. Muller performed in his role, much like he’ll change how he approaches his role as a head coach. Yes management will have to address it, by hiring somebody capable to do the job. I don’t under sell Muller at all. He’s been the voice that the team needs when they’re slumping, Jacques preaches consistency, not a very emotional guy on the surface. Muller knows this and has used his opportunities wisely to challenge the team. Because they identify with him. That’s the role. It isn’t the man, it’s the role, finding the right man to do it is the challenge. Losing Muller isn’t catastrophic in itself. A failure to replace him adequately with the proper candidate could prove to be. But like I said above. I have confidence in the organization finding the right man when you look at the recent success of Martin, Muller, Boucher and now Cunneyworth. They’ve proven to be elite in terms of finding the proper managerial candidates.

• G-Man says:

Look, every season there are assistant coaches that move. Is Muller a quality assistant coach? Hell ya! Is he a great head coach? Who knows?
      Muller may be given a shot at head coaching, where you are not the players’ best friend, but their boss. Those DYNAMICS will change Muller’s approach because he’s the one who decides who plays and who sits. If he is given a shot, I wish him well. The Habs will have a spot for Cunneyworth, who did a fine job in Hamilton.

• Habitoban says:

Hmmm. I wonder if Muller’s impending departure factored into Boyd’s and Dawes’ decision to jump to the KHL?

74. JayBee says:

I hope the B’s get absolutely smashed.