Canucks take 2-0 lead

Canucks left wing Burrows scores the game winning goal on Bruins goalie Thomas during overtime in Game 2 of the NHL Stanley Cup hockey playoff game in Vancouver

Photo by Andy Clark/Reuters

Pincourt homeboy Alex Burrows buries the B’s.
Let the bite jokes begin.

It took all of 11 seconds in OT.

Andrew Ference turned the puck over.

Then Burrows swept around Zdeno Chara to score on a wraparound, with Tim Thomas over-aggressive and totally out of the play.

On the night, Burrows had two goals, an assist and five hits.

His father gave him some good advice on deflecting public attention from the biting incident: “Go score some goals and do something to piss them off.”

Done.

And to win the Cup, Boston has to win four of the next five.

Which, Habs fans remember, is not impossible.

But teams trailing 2-0 in the Cup final have gone 4-42.

And Tim Thomas, facing the media and speaking articulately, said “Losing stinks no matter what.”

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Rick Dudley fired from the Winnipeg To Be Announced… poor move by their organization but at the same time, wouldn’t mind PG convincing him to become an assistant GM here.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• bwoar says:

Dudley’s track record, last year aside, was not very good.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Dudley was only GM of the Thrashers for a year, he also did quite a bit to build the 2004 Cup Team in TB and was an assistant with CHI when they were building the team that would win the Cup.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• 24 Cups says:

Winnipeg just made their first major blunder as a new organization by firing Dudley and Ramsay. Dudley excels at finding good players, not exactly a strength of the Habs. Ramsay is a highly qualified coach who has a ton of experience. He’s also one of the best teacher’s in the game. Habs should grab him to replace Muller.

It will be interesting to see how the players react to all of this. If I’m Andrew Ladd, I would sign a one year deal and then get the hell out as an UFA in 2012.

• G-Man says:

Atlanta had no success, 24. With a new team they want to start fresh so old management had to go. Dudley may not have wanted to move from sunny Atlanta to Winnipeg, too.

• 24 Cups says:

Gilbert – But Dudley and Ramsay were new management! It was Waddell who screwed up the franchise. Both these guys had gained a ton of experience that would help bring the club back to respectibility. Dudley had just signed a new four year deal, so he gets a rumoured 8 year buyout. Ramsay (who has not been fired yet) would be a perfect fit for Montreal.

• G-Man says:

@24- I don’t think they trusted the old ownership’s judgment even though Ramsay and Dudley are both good hockey people. They may have a surprise or two in store for the Winnipeg fans, geared towards bringing them instant respectability.
            The team has deep pockets and they have a plan. Let’s wait a little bit before condemning them.

• habstrinifan says:

Did the fire Ramsay or just holding decision for new manager. I havent seen the news?

2. aussiehab says:

What a hilarious moment in the game

Les Habitants stole my heart

3. Un Canadien errant says:

Mike, as far as Henrik’s BS dive, as you call it, he wouldn’t have to pull a BS dive if some talentless goon wasn’t cross-checking him with impunity. If he hadn’t dived, he would have been cross-checked again, and again, and again, and again, until a ref would have separated the goon from the star and told them to cut it out.

The NHL is a joke, it should protect its stars. Look at what the NFL did: it recognized that the QB is the star of the game, nobody buys tickets to see a DL take out his knees after the whistle blows, so it makes it damn clear that you can only touch the quarterback in very strict circumstances.

Another example is pass interference calls, people pay to watch acrobatic receivers catch touchdown bombs, not to see a safety beat on him all the way down the field.

It’s no coincidence the NFL is wildly successful (minus the owners suicidal lockout strategy) and the NHL is about to contract four teams.

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

4. Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve lived in BC for 20 years now, and I tell the locals that the Canucks is my 2nd favourite team. A distant second. And I tell them that to shut them up, they get on my case about watching the Canadiens on non-HD RDS (stupid crappy Shaw Cable feed) at 1600 hr PST. My interest in that team is purely academic, even with Bure and Linden and Markus Naslund (2nd best Naslund ever) and the Sedins starring over the years.

But it’s so easy to cheer for the Canucks now, just to GRIND it into Horton’s sneering face. Just to see them skating circles around Zdeno The Great Pylon like Montreal did soothes my wounded heart. That Ference was a direct reason for the loss 10 seconds into OT was just sweet syrup on my Cheerios.

As my previous Facebook status read: There is no greater Canucks fan than a lifelong Canadiens fan who wants the Bruins to get pounded.

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

5. BKAK72 says:

I still can’t believe the HABS didn’t make through the first round. That sting seems like it will mend with a BRUINS loss in the final. Personally it’s impossible to cheer on a VANCOUVER victory, I’m a HABS fan. The best game is a scrimmage HABS red vs HABS white.

Lose Bs Lose!

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

6. habstrinifan says:

I cant sleep!

I am surprised at myself at how I am so invested in seeing the Bruins lose. And not because I am really a Vanc. fan although being Canadian I feel a sense of satisfaction that the CUP is coming home.

It’s just thinking of all the CRAP that the Bruins caused the Canadiens this season. It was one of the worst seasons to go through as a HABS fan in relation to the Bruins or frankly any rival in recent memory.

Cant wait to see all the brooding bruin mugs when they pack their bags after losing game 4.

It will bring closure for me.

7. rocketsglare says:

Still laughing. I’m surprised Timmy didn’t tackle Burrows. This guy’s unorthodox style
    is simply a laugh a minute. Hoping he can continue to provide more of the same as Vancouver skates off with the cup. Did I say I was still laughing.

• Nitroslices says:

It is ironic that both local Vancouver boys (Lucic/Recchi) scored for the Bruins but the big cheer came when Sedin, an import, tied the game. Two more games and it is over !

8. SBAH says:

Watching Yappy Lappy holding his hand out towards Bergerons mouth tempting him to bite it was F-U-N-N-Y!!!

9. NightRyder says:

“The critics can kiss my ass.”

Stay classy, Dr. Recchi.

10. PrimeTime says:

Typical HH……Take the easy way out; Quiter; Grass is always greener on the other side; Throw in the towel; and Start over! Chase your tail much??

• HardHabits says:

Hilarious. The PrimeTime pontification resumes. Why don’t you tell us some more about the Real™ fans.

Let me guess. No more size and grit discussion when the Bruins lose because size and grit is no match for speed and skill, right. Wrong PT.

You see. The Bruins proved that size and grit is better than speed and skill by beating the Habs. The Habs have had an easier time with the skilled teams than with the more robust teams in the past two years. Think Philadelphia. So speed and skill meet a wall when confronted by a team that effectively employs their size and grit.

But the Canucks are proving that size and grit coupled with speed and skill is better than only size and grit.

Therefore size and grit with speed and skill is much much better than only speed and skill.

That’s me telling it like it is. The only towel I am throwing is a wet one spun in a circle that I am chasing your tail with. Snap! More like the ass is redder on the other side Puckered Tush.

11. habstrinifan says:

Let’s all go to the Border and MOON Massachusets!

12. habstrinifan says:

Night all! This si first night since HABS elimination that I can think about hockey with being totally depressed! Thank You Canucks!

13. HabFanSince72 says:

Timmy says “I don’t know exactly what happened”.

Actually you slid 30 feet out of your crease, idiot.

14. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Kaberle and Seguin both had very low minutes tonight. Seems like Julien the Hut does that on purpose so he has players to blame when he loses to try and salvage his job. I think that is why Lou fired him the way he did because he saw thru Juliens BS coaching style.

15. habstrinifan says:

Great week for Canadian hockey fans. Winnipeg got their team back and Canucks are up 2-0 in the series and Scott Gomez bought a Bullworker X5 off The Shopping Channel.

• Un Canadien errant says:

AH-Ziiinnnnnggggg!!!

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

16. Neutral says:

I have a message for the Bruins because I know they don’t know what the word fore-check means.
    to obstruct or impede the movement or progress of an attacking opponent’s defensive zone. don’t
    need to say anything else. just thought I’d let them know by not knowing what fore-check means
    you lose games. Vancouver knows what it means and any team that has won a stanley cup….

17. DEANDALLEY says:

If there were any thing such as Karma the Broons would have never gotten pass Montreal. Karma, no such thing ….

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Bruins got by the Habs on a lucky bounce. People can talk all the BS they want, but thats what it came down to, a lucky bounce. Montreal is twice the team Boston is when they have Markov, Georges, and Patches in the lineup.

• Steven says:

Like my dad always says: “There’s a difference between karma and revenge.”

Karma doesn’t necessarily have to strike from Montreal, because that’s revenge. Regardless of that, though, what do you think stings more, being eliminated in the first round and going to Florida for some golf, or being that close to the Cup and getting crushed?

• habstrinifan says:

I cant fool myself..everytime I replay in my head P.K’S tieing goal and the elation I had and being so pumped cause I figured..man we gotta win this thing.. it’s in the stars… and then…

Serenty Now! Serenity Now!

18. Rusty says:

Skrudland’s Record Nine seconds from 1986 stays, asst from Lemieux and McPhee.

Rusty Stubb

19. JohnBellyful says:

My glass is half full. Fill it to the brim, Canucks.

20. TomNickle says:

Cam Neely’s anger management therapist has their work cut out for them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I really dislike that caveman.

21. JD_ says:

Ok, admittedly, my first thought was Skrudland.

Wow, baby!

Tommy way, way, waaaayyyy out and Chara once again caught flatfooted.

Just wow. That’s about as much wrap as one will ever see in a wraparound.

Think Tommy started skatin’ away even before the puck was in.

Suivant! Next!

22. HabFanSince72 says:

PJ is holding back the tears.

23. Keith says:

A thing of beauty Mr. Boone. ;-)

24. PrimeTime says:

Cherry remains a loser. Ha, this is the B’s team many Habs fans want to mimic?? Bandwagoneers unite!!!

25. icemachine says:

I love watching Boston look like crap more than I enjoy watching Vancouver winning, damn that was good

Its time to switch to whiskey, we’ve been drinkin’ beer all night

26. TomNickle says:

Betcha Mr. Campbell wished he had put his resignation on hold another 48 hours.

27. punkster says:

Unreal. Even my dog got to see the goal live. I get the replay.

Oh well, good start, steady effort, strong finish and with no mess at the end. And the game wasn’t bad either. ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

28. G-Man says:

Mr. Floppy Goes Fishing!

29. habstrinifan says:

WOW new CONN SMYTHE Candidate? Burrows! Gotta think he’s in it for real NOW.

30. _Habsoloutly_ says:

FU Milbury!! Fu NESN!! and a big FU to Jack Edwards!!

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Ferrence, Timmy, Big Zee.

You all suck.

32. DEANDALLEY says:

Timmie floppin around again … LMFAO …

33. TomNickle says:

Hey Don, you were saying?

34. doogmac says:

the guillaume latendresse wrap-around!!

35. mike3131 says:

THAT’S how you beat Thomas!!! PATIENCE! Let him take himself out of the play! It’s not rocket science…

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

36. habstrinifan says:

WOW Boone! You called it!

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hhahahahahahhahaha!!!!! FU Boston!

38. Duracell3 says:

I don’t care who you are, that was just funny.

39. sidhu says:

Chara and Thomas both looked horrible on that one

40. punkster says:

Go for a pee. Miss the OT.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

41. sidhu says:

I wonder how angry Milbury, Neely, and the rest of the mopes are that Burrows is the one who ended it

42. DEANDALLEY says:

Milbury calling anyone a Punk is just silliness … He needs a punch in the face as the Habs have done so many times before …

43. gmd says:

Ha ha Floppy.

44. TomNickle says:

Ha. A guy who went into the stands after a player says Lapierre denigrate the game of hockey.

45. habstrinifan says:

Come on Vigneault, put Tambellini’s line out to start the OT. I get a free oil-change from my mechanic riding on it.

46. punkster says:

So Yappy’s a punk. This is news? Milbury should go find his shoe.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

I wonder if Milbury realizes how hated he’ll become in Boston if Luongo steals this series. Or am I giving Bruins fans too much credit?

• fofe84 says:

Please don’t mistake this for some sort of defense of Mike Milbury or anything, but I don’t know if anyone in Boston is going to be mad about that, nor should they. Yes, Milbury traded Luongo. From Long Island to Florida. It was Keenan that traded Luongo to Vancouver. He also traded away Zdeno Chara and Raffi Torres, though again, he had nothing to do with those players ending up in Boston and Vancouver, respectively. Don’t get me wrong, Milbury is an idiot of the highest rank, as a player, GM and analyst, but Boston has no cause to scorn him for anything Lu does to its team.

• Keith says:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BABY!!!!!

47. punkster says:

So lemme get this straight. In the third the Canucks outshoot the Bruins 11-5 and outscore them 1-0 but Cherry says that the Bruins played great and if they keep playing that way they’ll win?

Don, bubbie, if the Bruins keep playing like that they may just fall a mite short tonight.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

48. TomNickle says:

Raymond for the Canucks or Marchand for the Bruins.

49. habstrinifan says:

Pick for overtime winner.. if Boston.. it will be Michael Ryder and if Vancouver it will be Jeff Tambellini.. yes you heard right Jeff Tambellini.

50. billylove says:

Millbury is such a dip shit. He still can’t get over having the Habs kick his butt all those years ago!

51. punkster says:

I call Sedin for the winner. Any Sedin.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

52. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I don’t know if it’s because I really like the beer, but I really love those Stella comercials.

53. Keith says:

wow, what a game.

54. sidhu says:

Van has all the mo. Keep it up, boys!

55. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Battle of the Blades:

Do people really watch that crap?

56. olegpetrov says:

lapierre giving bergeron his finger to bite has to be one of the funniest things i have ever seen in a hockey game. brilliant.

Habs fan…Nuff said

57. habstrinifan says:

Last time you said that Boone Vanc (Torres) scored!

58. TomNickle says:

Ha, Lappy……F’ing hilarious!!!!

59. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Boone, re Transformers, Bay had to up the ante since Megan Fox is not in it. Looks like he really put together a prototypical Bay action extravaganza.

60. Keith says:

How could they F**k that up?

61. RGM says:

Typical Lapierre play – 4-on-1 and he doesn’t pass.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

62. TomNickle says:

If only Lapierre could have Moen’s finishing ability.

63. Castor says:

TRANSFORMERS is everything that is wrong with Hollywood movies

64. gmd says:

It figures that Lucy’s favourite player growing up was the sucker punching Bertuzzi.

65. TomNickle says:

Ha! Lucic’s favourite player was Bertuzzi. It all adds up.

66. habstrinifan says:

This is like going to your school re-union and watching the punk who took your favourite girl’s virginity sticking his tongue right up your graduating class Miss Valedictorian’s mouth.

Damn you Vernon B.

Wait hold that image. he may get his come-uppance.

67. gmd says:

Chara sucked on that one.

68. TomNickle says:

I believe Brashear’s opponent was Steve Begin. Seriously Boone. I’m pretty sure it was.

My bad. It was Mathieu Bergeron.

69. sidhu says:

Yes!!!!!!! They’re alive!

70. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Saweeeeetttt!!!!

71. gmd says:

If a player is in front of the net and not in the blue paint and Floppy comes out of his crease and knocks the player over, isn’t that an interference penalty on Floppy?

72. _Habsoloutly_ says:

C’mon Nucks! Get one by Timmy the Tuna!

73. habstrinifan says:

What’s wrong with Vanc. They should change ALL line combinations NOW.

74. punkster says:

I thought CC was gone? How is that not a penalty?
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***