Canucks take 2-0 lead

Canucks left wing Burrows scores the game winning goal on Bruins goalie Thomas during overtime in Game 2 of the NHL Stanley Cup hockey playoff game in Vancouver

Photo by Andy Clark/Reuters

Pincourt homeboy Alex Burrows buries the B’s.
Let the bite jokes begin.

It took all of 11 seconds in OT.

Andrew Ference turned the puck over.

Then Burrows swept around Zdeno Chara to score on a wraparound, with Tim Thomas over-aggressive and totally out of the play.

On the night, Burrows had two goals, an assist and five hits.

His father gave him some good advice on deflecting public attention from the biting incident: “Go score some goals and do something to piss them off.”

Done.

And to win the Cup, Boston has to win four of the next five.

Which, Habs fans remember, is not impossible.

But teams trailing 2-0 in the Cup final have gone 4-42.

And Tim Thomas, facing the media and speaking articulately, said “Losing stinks no matter what.”

1. sidhu says:

I’d like to hear what the Globe has to say about Peverley’s respect for the game. Typical Boston play — they can’t take clean hits and give cheap shots instead.

2. punkster says:

The sisters better punch in tonight. Like any time.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

3. Exit716 says:

Come on Mr. Boone. Hotstove was unmemorable? Did you not hear Eric Francis claim that Malholtra received preferential medical treatment because he was an athlete? A regular doofus like me would be wearing an eye patch…according to the great Eric Francis. God, to think that we fund this type of crap on the CBC. Stick to sports Eric and wearing really bad suits…

4. habstrinifan says:

Every championship series should have a superstar or a super villain or a break-out newcomer!

5. habstrinifan says:

Wake up habs-heads!

6. JVF says:

The Sedins?! Are they playing tonight? In The series?

7. olegpetrov says:

big difference between the two teams, boston isn’t letting luongo’s big saves get into their heads.

Habs fan…Nuff said

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Whoever wins it will be one of the worst champs of the last ten years.

9. habstrinifan says:

Dont like this.. dont like it at all!

10. habstrinifan says:

Wonder who’s holding the bag for Dudley’s cash.. the new owners or the old owners?

11. Exit716 says:

Luongo had to freeze the puck at the side of the net. His fault that went in….If that was on Price he’d be barbecued for non-chalance on a play.

12. Keith says:

Damn you lucy!

13. Keith says:

The gooins actually got 5 pp goals? I’m surprised they got that many.

14. TheMock780 says:

Rick Dudley not coming to Winnipeg as GM? The Habs should offer him a scouting position. It’s what he loves to do and he’s good at it (ie. The Tampa Bay team in 2004). He’s just not great if he’s left to make all the decisions (ie. His time in Florida)

15. Keith says:

I went out and caught some firework outside just up river at the Heritage Center. Still going on.

16. pmaraw says:

i change the channel when cherry comes on anymore, no ratings for that homer from me.

17. habsfaninoakville says:

“Which Bruin will try to poke Malhotra in the eye? Marchand? Campbell?”

Definitely Campbell. Okay…maybe Horton.

18. TomNickle says:

Is Cherry wearing a Lightning jersey?

19. olegpetrov says:

cherry wants them to play bruins style. this means giving the fans the finger, running players into stanchions which breaks their necks, squirting fans with water, and jumping on a player who throws a good hit.

Habs fan…Nuff said

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Chara is no Nick Lidstrom is he?

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

He’s no PK Subban either. He’s a 6’7 freak with a long reach and a teammate who’s daddy had too much power in his hands. If you look at the youtube clip of Lurch fighting BGL, he fights him twice in the same game, and both times Lurch desperately tries to wrestle BGL to the ice as quick as possible so he doesn’t get beat. That clips tells you everything you need to know about Chara, he’s a coward, who is Mr. tough guy when he’s pushing around Plekanec and other guys half his size. But when he has to fight someone who actually has a chance to beat him he cowards out like the slime bag he is. Same goes for Lucic. They showed their colors when Gainey brought in BGL to face them. They ran like little bitches, and as soon as BGL was gone, they got all tough with the habs again. Cowards till the end.

• habstrinifan says:

You _habsoloutly do not like Chara!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Horton is another coward who wears the Bruins yellow real well. That imbecile was a pussy the whole time he was in Florida, but now he throws his weight around, once he checks over his shoulder to make sure Lucic is there. He acts all tough when he’s on the ice with Frankenstein.

———————————
          “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

21. habsfaninoakville says:

Other than the Vancouver lead, the best thing about the game is Bob Cole isn’t mis-calling the plays.

22. Castor says:

I’m in the CBC mecca of Toronto and my signal stinks too.

23. TomNickle says:

Bad CBC signal here Mr. Boone……Peterborough.

24. punkster says:

Poor Bruins. That really bites ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

That was a really low level to go. I didn’t think you had it in you Punkster. You should really dive into some self evaluation. Chew on that for a while. ;)

• punkster says:

Canucks getting their teeth into this one. Expect the Bruins to start jawin’ real soon. Not pointing a finger at anyone, mind you, but the Bruins are starting to look all thumbs.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

I’ll bet that first period left a real sour taste in Julien’s mouth. They’ve just gotta suck it up. I imagine they’re chomping at the bit to start the second period and even the score.

25. habstrinifan says:

Objectively speaking should be more Seguin.. less Recchi.

26. Exit716 says:

Karma baby….Screw you Thomas for your comments on PK…Screw you Ference for your finger to the Habs fan. Thomas admit it…you’re a Jr. B hack on a third rate club of thugs. Be happy if the Canucks throw a game in Boston to clinch the Cup on home ice. Screw you floppy.

27. Keith says:

YES!!! 12 seconds left lol!

28. Keith says:

Bye, bye Lurch.

29. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Get in the box Lurch!!

30. TomNickle says:

Called It! The second Colin Campbell resigned I said he would get the Winnipeg GM job. Just you watch folks. If the Peg is sending Dudley packing, Campbell’s getting that job…..GUARANTEED.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I hear they have some other guy in mind. Forget his name though. He’s not an NHL guy though.

Is it Campbell Colin?

Watch out for Mark Messier if Campbell’s being shot down.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

No, it’s some guy that already works for True North I think? I can’t remember, I think maybe it’s somebody that works with the Moose.

• TomNickle says:

If it’s the Moose’s GM Craig Heisinger that could prove to be a huge mistake. He has zero NHL experience meaning that he hasn’t negotiated a pro contract essentially.

I think that would be a very stupid start for an owner who’s seemingly done everything right so far.

Bruce Southern could be an interesting choice because of his scouting acumen but I doubt that they’d give him the responsibility.

They need a name hire to avoid the PR nightmare that will follow if a bad team is their product.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya, I find it kind’ve strange if they are looking in-house for a GM instead of going with a guy with some NHL experience. But I guess it doesn’t matter when you have Mr. Money Bags backing your team.

• TomNickle says:

It will matter to the fans and corporate sponsors. They need a good product to survive.

• habstrinifan says:

The owner spoke of the Moosehead GM when asked pointedly about Dudley in the presser. In fact he said regardless of who the GM ends up being the Moosehead GM will have an integral and big part.

31. habstrinifan says:

For all their spped only Vanc. line getting ‘real’ scoring chances is the Lapierre line.

32. TomNickle says:

Tell me Dr. Recchi, what do the boards at Rogers Arena taste like?

Asshole

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

He’s UFA this year isn’t he? I wonder what will happen? Will the Bruins sign him for another year? Or will the he retire and take a job diagnosing habs injuries for NESN?

• TomNickle says:

I’d rather see him go quietly so we never have to hear from that POS again. Perhaps a career ending injury that would look really good on him.

• Critical-MASS says:

he said if the bruins win the cup then he is retiring for sure but if they don’t then he didnt rule out playing another season.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

33. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Go Habs Go! Oops, I meant Go Canucks Go!

34. issie74 says:

If Mario Tremblay ever takes a place behind the Habs bench again.I will have to listen to the games on radio.

35. Keith says:

He almost put that one in on Luongo.

36. habstrinifan says:

Remember boys and girls.. speed KILLS!

37. TomNickle says:

Richard Loney is not so living proof of the existence of zombies. Is it just me or does he look like the singing contents of a grave robbery?

38. Keith says:

Blue tablecloth cherry, and MacLame. When will they retire?

• Critical-MASS says:

eh man cbc …overall…is a pretty damn good hockey broadcast.Got any replacements for mac and cherry?No.They are iconic.trust me…what u want Milbury’s corner hosted by pj stock in the 1st intermissions of HNIC?Please…..be thankful for what we got ….Cole,Maclean,Cherry…ya they be qging and may be PRO leafs but when i think of saturday hockey i think of ronny maclean.Cherry …y

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• TomNickle says:

Kelly Hrudey and Elliot Friedman.

Those are my replacements. And yes, they’re both better individually and as a combination.

• Critical-MASS says:

Good picks,both whom i respect,especially friedman.He is the man.But i was thinking more along the lines of a bigger personality type…and one who would be the cherry successor in coaches corner.But who knows..maybe cbc will go a different route in the future.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• TomNickle says:

Hrudey could do it given the opportunity I think, and Friedman would be a good voice of reason. If the choice is a coach that’s vibrant and oozing with personality Mike Keenan should get some consideration, if he’s interested.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Elliotte Freedman really needs to do something about his hair.

• Keith says:

Replacements? Yes! Steve Kouleas and Steve Ludzig. Would be much better than what we’ve had for the last 25 years.

• TomNickle says:

Steve Ludzig is an idiot. Almost as bad as Cherry and Kouleas, while tolerable, speaks like he has something to prove to everyone. I don’t like those choices but that’s just my taste I guess.

39. habstrinifan says:

“Great, the mascot is on national TV”.

That’s not the mascot silly boy.. that’s the PM.. he just acts silly cause he’s got a majority.

40. Critical-MASS says:

Anyone notice how much bigger Ron MacLean was than Michael J Fox in game 1 when he interviewed him?…lol…idk…just a random thought i was noticing at the time but ron maclean is a big dude…Who knew!?..bahhhh..
    …….More beer for me….
    …………………………………….’sigh’….miss the habs …GUYS!!!I MISS THE HABS!!!!!friggg…

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

41. HabFanSince72 says:

I hear that in the really old days they only televised the 2nd and 3rd period of Saturday night games.

That was way before my time.

Anyway, Go Nucks Go!

• Critical-MASS says:

Frig go nucks go?Ive never found the notion of rootin’ for a “canadian team” just cuz ur team has been eliminated.To me….theres my fav team,forever …only 1 team.THE MONTREAL CANADIENS!Thats it.I do not want the schmucks to win..and i most certainly do not want the dr. recchi and the Neanderathal &friends to hoist the cup either.I do not want any team to win.Rootin for any team other than THE team…that being the habs …makes that person not truly a HABS fan….
      …………………pce…more beer for me!I be
      tipsy….(not meaning to come off as rude btw;)

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

• CHsam says:

Hey HFS72: a few weeks ago you mentioned some new kind of Google cross-search feature of some sort. Care to share what that was again ? I can’t find it

42. Neutral says:

if parise leaves the Devils they’re be a lot going the other way. Parise is a 1st line center and a good one…..

• showey47 says:

The devils have him listed as a left winger.

• Critical-MASS says:

‘sigh’ …YEAH..we know..blah blah blah.Parise is a great player.But you can kiss my ass if u think that PK is going anywhere for Parise let alone the franchise…(price)..REALISTICALLY…Subban 4 Zach P….is all i’d give up…and i still would not give that up.Are people blind?This defenseman…mark my words will win Norris trophys …will wear Team Canada jerseys AT THE OLYMPICS…..WILL BE A CAPTAIN OF THE HABS EN ROUTE TO A CUP VICTORY…..TAKE IT TO THE BANK!

Now parise…yes,a fantastic talent..agree100%But PK subban alone is more valuable to us than parise would.

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

43. Toe Blake says:

To pump up the ratings in the US, Bettman has asked Donald Trump to patrol both benches and fire guys after really shitty shifts!

• punkster says:

Well he’s got lots of time on his hands now since he’s not running. I loved Bill Maher’s description of him as “a curiosity of the 80s. Nothing more”.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

44. habstrinifan says:

Cant help thinking of Dale Hawerchuk a lot during the last week. Werent we in on some sort of attempt to get him once?

Hawrchuk and Lafontaine. One of them shoulda been a HABS.

45. olegpetrov says:

grabovski is beating cammi in the play of the year showdown. cammi won’t beat eberle, but he definitely should beat grabovski. vote for cammi in the play of the year showdown on tsn.ca…only takes 2 seconds!

Habs fan…Nuff said

46. habstrinifan says:

Boone: “Great spring for German athletes: Seidenberg, Ehrhoff and Nowitzki”

Hey SF09.. do we have the rights to any of them.. or any German at all?

47. Toe Blake says:

Down here in the lower 48, they’re gonna have Donald Trump on NBC show us all how to do a Final’s “comb-over” at the first intermission.

48. Critical-MASS says:

ALRIGHTY folks.We need a guy like peanut butter….you know who i’m talking about!!Jammy Jagr of course.Plain and simple even at age 39 he is a beast!Handles and holds the pucks like few others and would be dynamite on the PP with a healthy Markov …and yound PK bombing pucks from the point.Not to mention plex’n'effect is his homeboy and would give us added scoring and solidify the top 6.And for petes sake he could be had for relatively cheap,i think …HE WOULD BE OUR LEADING SCORER NEXT SEASON IF WE SIGNED HIM!NO?YA!!!!He would.Plus…who the hell else do you want playing up in the top 6?Moen ????MMmmm,No..not again….Mmmm???Um…Darche???Not a top 2 line guy …ya know…We need PEANUT BUTTER!C’mon goats!!!Sign this future HALL of FAMER….NOW!!!!

…..You’ll never get to heaven if you’re scared of getting high…..

49. Keith says:

PJ Spock is annoying.

50. habstrinifan says:

I think opening day the Manitoba Falcons should retire a Winipeg Jets ‘team jersey’ emblazoned with great Jets names-faces. And immediately after raise the new Falcon Jersey while introducing the players.

Think the house would be so emotional. And it would assuage any linger Jets longings.

51. Toe Blake says:

Alas, greatness used to have several names. Now there is just one: the New York Yankees!

52. habstrinifan says:

GO CANUCKS GO! Man it’s hard to actually cheer for another team.. any OTHER team. But I want to feel least kinda good by 10:30pm tonite and a Bruins win would dont do that.

Love the Winnipeg excitement. And I love the name Manitoba Falcons based on the history and the reasoning.

But that Winnipeg Jets crest was awesome.

53. Toe Blake says:

Not that I really give a RAD, but I’m rooting for Higgins, Laps and Vigneault. I still can’t figure out why the Habs let AV go?

54. Keith says:

Well, got some Growler’s filled with ale, some snacks, and looking forward to a great game for the last saturday for hockey. Sure do wish the Habs were a part of it though. I’d like to see Higgins and Lappy have a big game for the Canucks. Time for the gooins to go down 2-0!

Cheers

55. Gorges_the_great says:

Go vote for Cammy for TSN’s play of the year! We can’t have him lose to Garbagovski!!

And, sticking to my guns, Canucks in four.

56. eric says:

Gomez, Gionta,Weber, the rights to Kari Ramo, danny Kristo for Parise

57. habstrinifan says:

Hi Folks! While we all wait for Boone’s scintillating blog to begin may I, with Tom Nickle’s permission, invite you in on a discussion he and I kinda just waded into inadvertently.

Tom I would have kept this between you and me but it does seem that there is a limit to replies under an original post.. so I hope you dont mind.

Tom’s original question… If Subban/Price were the ‘asks’ for Zach Parise would you bite.

I think we have both agreed that we wouldnt and now it sits at Tom’s last reply quoted below..

“TomNickle

June 4, 2011 5:58 pm at 5:58 pm

I think the best you can offer the Devils for Parise sitting in Gauthier’s chair is a combination of prospects and picks. Might get you in the bidding but still is unlikely to close the deal. You’d have to be willing to give up Leblanc and Tinordi in all likelihood. A scenario that I still wouldn’t do in Gauthier’s shoes due to the upside of both players.”

I post it here cause I think I would give up Tinordi and LeBlanc in a heartbeat for Zach Parise.

Anyone else care to opine?

Thank you Tom for allowing me to repost this here.

• Mike Boone says:

Unless a very heavy object (Scott Stevens’ fist?) has fallen on Lou Lamoriello’s head, there is NO WAY he’d give up Parise for Leblanc and Tinordi.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• Toe Blake says:

Parise for Leblanc and Tinordi! Now I remember why I come by HIO, freakin’ hockey genius at its best!!! Come on, I’m stoked. Someone post some line combos and D pairings!

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! I am blown away cause I thought I woulda been called crazy for taking the deal.. from habs point of view.

• naweed235 says:

No … Parise is well established forward in the NHL… some would argue in the top 10… where as Leblanc and Tinordi are at best “promissing” prospects that may or may not even make it in the NHL!
          so ya… like Boone said… Lou should be hit by a big object if he to take that deal

• HabFanSince72 says:

Either Scott Stevens’ fist or whatever convinced him to offer Kovalchuk that contract.

• olematelot says:

No way NJ does that deal.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s not a trade proposal, that a Pierre Gauthier wet dream.

It’s the kind of trade proposal George Costanza would cook up when he was assistant travelling secretary of the NY Yankees.

———————————
        “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

58. naweed235 says:

Everyone should go to TSN.ca and vote for Cammi in the play of the year… him and Grabovski are almost tied so any vote could help!

59. Here is a 4th line for the PG to think off? Get er done!@!@

Steve MacIntyre(Edm) UFA 6′ 5″ at 250 lbs, LW, Age 30

Michael Rupp(Pit) UFA 6′ 5″ at 240 lbs, C, Age 31

Brad Winchester(Ana) 6′ 5″ at 231 lbs, RW, Age 30

Now that’s a 4 line totaling 721 lbs

60. habstrinifan says:

Way to go winnipeg! Hey Gary… NOW you see what a Hockey Market is!

Question to the masses: So what would it take and what would you be willing to trade to get Zach Parise? Their cap situation will make it very difficult for them to resign him.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• TomNickle says:

It would take Subban or Price. And I’m not willing.

You’ve got potential Norris and Vezina winners in your pocket. Don’t move them.

• habstrinifan says:

Maybe not that high. When you considerthat NJ a) needs draft picks and are strapped for cash, maybe it can be done with the right combination of 1st/2nd round pick(s) and prospects like Weber.

I would do it then.

• TomNickle says:

Consider for a moment that if the Devils were to announce Parise’s availability by way of trade that 28 teams would be calling Uncle Lou. Sorry, but the bidding war would mean Price or Subban.

• habstrinifan says:

True! But I am sure that you will agree that it would do PG well to approach NJ re players and Zach Parise should be one he mentions and that he should at least try a liberal package of draft choices/prospects. He can at least try. Who knows?

• Bouleau noir says:

Lou getting Kolvachuk knowing it would cost his team RFA Parise the following season makes absolutly no sens to me.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The rumour is that ownership directed him to go out and get a big name free-agent to sell more tickets. It definitely goes against his standard operating procedures.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

• Tony McLean says:

“Sens” heh. Listen it was the owner who shoved it down Lamoriello’s throat, he’s smarter than that.

“Little Myth Koivu.”

• G-Man says:

Ummmmmmm, Scott Gomez? ;)

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Well I personally think it would cost a 2nd rounder and a prospect. You know how much Gauthier dislikes trading players currently in the system without affecting the chemsitry. Parise is RFA.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• HabFanSince72 says:

Price for Parise and their first round pick from this year.

62. kakey says:

Congrats to Winnipeg for selling 13000 season tickets. Time to bury all the doubts and look forward to some extra Jets* vs Habs games (I think they’ll still be in the eastern conference if not mistaken)

*pending official name.

Pretty incredible how fast they did that. It’s gonna be hard for all the hab fans in wpg. to get tickets when the habs are in town.

Oh yah , shove that up your arse Bettman, keep pumping Phoenix as a real hocky market.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• Exit716 says:

Bettman comes off as a Monty Python sketch….Choose your favourite…The Parrot sketch….The Black Knight from Holy Grail….
        No matter how obvious the evidence is…he had to keep denying it…
        “This is a dead hockey market….”

• Everlasting1 says:

Not bad for a 15,000 seat arena.

——————————————————————-
      ” That the Sons of God saw the daughters of man, that they were fair and took them wives all of which they chose.” – Genesis 6:2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

63. ProHabs says:

For the Habs to move forward, Gauthier has to use his imagination to improve the team. It is too easy to just say he should sign Brooks Laich or Brad Richards etc. First of all, there are 29 other teams looking to sign these guys and you end up overpaying for free agents and giving them longer term than you should.

Gauthier needs to grab players from other organizations that can succeed here in trades. If you look at the Bruins, both Boyton and McQuaid were 2nd round picks who the Bruins trade for. They gave up nothing to get these guys. Holmgron for Philly used his imagination a couple of summers ago and did something nobody else had ever thought of when he trade for the rights to negotiate with Hartnell and Timonen from Nashville before others could. Last year, Atlanta saw Chicago was in big trouble with the cap so was able to get Ladd and Byfulian from them.

So Gauthier, forget the Free Agents, the crop isn’t even that good this year. Use your imagination and think of some other more productive ways to improve the Habs. That is why you get the big bucks.

• DearyLeary says:

I’m inclined to agree. Aside from Laich there really aren’t any I’m interested (since Richards will likely get max money and we really can’t afford that, in addition to the fact that he hasn’t shown any desire to play in a ‘big market).

Last year was hard on our draft picks just because we had to plug holes on our back end due to injuries. I still think that this is a very deep draft and we should be able to find a very talented player in the mid-first round.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Alex Tanguay or Simon Gagne would plug in really well into our lineup. Tanguay likes Calgary from what I read, but Gagne probably won’t stay in Tampa due to cap issues. If we can sign him to a reasonable deal I’d love to have him, or both. They won’t break the bank like Richards or Laich.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

• DearyLeary says:

Gagne was more or less invisible in Tampa. 17 goals the last two years (granted missed significant amount of games), but do we really need another mid range cap hit who isn’t going to pot 20+ goals?

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s why we can get him relatively cheap. He has a proven record of production and leadership. Injuries and concussions and a soft 2011 season are an issue, but if they didn’t exist we couldn’t afford to sign him. He would be touted as the best UFA like Richards.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

• habstrinifan says:

Please let’s not do the Alex Tanguay thing again. We need a different type player for our line-up. I liked Tanguay when he was here and I thought we should have kept him but he doesnt fit anymore.. let me rephrase… he doesnt ADD enough of the ingredients we need.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Maybe we have a different philosophy and outlook. I think the Canadiens should keep adding skaters instead of ‘tough, rugged’ guys who can’t play. With Shanahan to reinvigorate the transformation of the game that started post-lockout, I think we are better served with Tanguay or Gagne than Greg Campbell in our lineup. You can’t teach skills.

Seeing Moen or Darche on the top line last year was painful. Those guys worked hard, but we need scorers on the PP.

“I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• Tony McLean says:

Amen, no more softies with stomach problems (no guts). Rocket Richard was a power forward. Enough of the Smurfs.

“Little Myth Koivu.”

• TorontoHabsFan says:

” Enough of the Smurfs.”

Both Tanguay and Gagne are 6’1″

Just sayin’…

64. issie74 says:

OK I have no idea why my posts are not showing up?

I remember watching a Saturday night Toronto Montreal hockey game on a black and white TV in Eaton’s window (or was it Ogilvie’s) on St Cathrine St. in January. A light snowy evening in the 50s. TV seemed like magic then.

I believe they only showed the 2nd and 3rd period in those days if I remember correctly.

66. DearyLeary says:

The onus is not on the ref to make sure penalties aren’t called. The players have to realize that taking a penalty is their fault, and not the ref’s.

If the ref feels some moral obligation to make sure the ‘flow’ is maintained, then they’ll never get the respect they need to call a game properly.

The only way to get players to stop committing fouls we believe to be detrimental to the game is to punish these actions. Whether through in game penalties, or through subsequent discipline. If refs catch flak for calling some penalties then maybe those are penalties nobody wants in the game.

We want to complain about hooking and interference, fine, but don’t complain about the ‘flow’ of the game. The refs job isn’t to maintain some kind of entertainment value, they’re there to police and enforce the rules. The onus is all on the players, and coaches (neutral zone congestion) to ensure the game is entertaining.

Similarly it’s up to the league to build a set of rules that people like watching.

Blaming a ref for a bad call is entirely fair, but if players are going to play undisciplined hockey it’s their own damn fault. It provided for some compelling drama (killing off a 5 on 3 provides some of the most tense moments in hockey games). The players played well in all aspects, and if they clean up their game for tonight it’ll be a great hockey game to watch.

I don’t, however, trust the Bruins to ever clean up their act; so don’t expect something overly different from happening (especially since refs feel some twisted desire to even up penalties, even if one team is entirely deserving of the penalties they receive). On the flipside it’s entirely possible the refs feel some misplaced guilt because of goombas like Cherry and decide to let the thuggery fly tonight, in which case it’ll be an ugly hockey game and I”ll likely lose interest.

• TomNickle says:

Be careful please. If the Bruins were to ever figure out that they don’t need to play like barbarians to be successful, they’ll very likely become a dominant force in the East.

Good post, very well put.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I couldn’t agree more with your premise. Braying donkeys harp that refs should let the players play, let them decide the game. I agree. I think we should let Ovechkin and Crosby and Kovalev and Nash play, and let them decide the game, not talentless hook and trip artists and train wrecks like Avery and Torres and Cooke. I tune in or buy a ticket to see Lafleur fly down the right wing, not to see Tremblay or Risebrough slash and elbow their way to garbage goals.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

67. issie74 says:

Un Canadien errant,

As a matter of fact Scott Gomez did work out in the summer of 2010,in Toronto,with Cammelari and Subban.

I agree with the poster who noted that the teams were responsible for the penalties, not the refs. Players have a few days lay-off, coming off of long series, haven’t played each other very often. Of course the first game is going to be tentative, hence the poor play and miscues leading to the penalty calls.

They should give the games a week break between them so they can slot them all in at Sunday 2 PM. SCF game 7 will be July 9th.

69. issie74 says:

NorthTOHab

as a matter if fact Scott Gomez did work out in the summer of 2010,in Toronto,with Cammaleri and Subban.

70. G-Man says:

The reffing was perfect for the horrible power play of a certain team in this series. The Nucks need more goals to wipe them out tonight and send a message.

• TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t count on Tim Thomas playing the way he did for another four games. The Bruins were as close to their best as they can get in game one and the Canucks were as close to mediocre without being bad that they could be. The result in a game like that being a win for Vancouver doesn’t bode well for Boston. The Bruins can’t lose one goal games in this series, very much like the Rangers with the Caps. When the underdog gets the favourite into close games, they have to close. That’s the biggest difference in series’ like this.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Boston better hope that Luongo has himself a couple stinkers, ’cause if they get performances from Thomas like they did in Game 1 and still lose? It will be a very quick series.

Cherry is someone I detest, but I have to agree with the old fart, he is right, the refs think they are the show, and people actually pay large bucks to see them perform their job.!

• TomNickle says:

One thing to remember here Ian is that our team was built with the post-lockout rules emphasis in mind. Meaning obviously that speed and skill were the primary focus of the Habs’ front office. If Colin Campbell’s resignation allows officials the comfort to call games the way they were mandated to coming out of the lockout our team should be stronger for it. So take it easy on those zebras would ya?

• Ian Cobb says:

Tom, I think the game has improved greatly over the clutch and grab days. Most zebras do a fair job.

But their part, is the weakest part of the game today. They have to catch up to the new style of game on the ice.

• Tony McLean says:

Question: in the World Series do the umps stop calling balls and strikes???

“Little Myth Koivu.”

72. Rusty says:

I hated the Nordiques in the 80s, but I like them today and want them back. I have even purchased a Nordique T-shirt.

Rusty Stubb

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t get me wrong, I want the Nordiques back in the league just as desperately as I hate them. The thought of Dale Hunter still sends me in a rage.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

73. DearyLeary says:

For the first time since senility I agree with Red Fisher. I thought game 1 was full of ups and downs, great drama. Good defense, good scoring chances, good goaltending, physical play, fast pace; they just need to work on their discipline.

There weren’t that many ‘ticky tack’ penalties (aside from Timmy being his normal zamboni goalie self). I don’t know what people didn’t like about the game.

• TomNickle says:

The amount of whistles is the simple answer to your question. The game had a great deal of shots which results in a great amount of stoppages. There were a lot of icings, and two instances where five of them were lumped together. Then there were the penalties. A lot of them. The first two periods had more camera shots of the penalty boxes than it did the puck(exaggeration).

If you don’t mind the game taking a long time it was good hockey to watch, just a slow pace.

• christophurrr says:

i agree. i thought the game was great for all the reasons you listed. the flow kind of sucked because of the penalties, but i think the chances and big stops compensated for that.

• colin_nowra says:

I thought it was a good game as well

74. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sadly, I remember Mike. Thanks for rubbing it in.

• Un Canadien errant says:

No Mike, I remember Rene Lecavalier, Gilles Tremblay, Lionel Duval and Richard Garneau. For a while we had hockey on Wednesday nights too.

Don Cherry is an idiot.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I hate the Bruins more then the Leafs who I hate more then the Flyers who I hate more than the Nordiques.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I can’t really get a rise from the Leafs. I mean, who cares? They haven’t been a meaningful team in my lifetime. That whole Canadiens-Leaf rivalry is a Toronto media and Toronto fans creation.

Sure Montrealers deserve to look down their nose at Toronto, but the Leafs? Do I care when a chihuahua comes barking and charging at me?

The only real rivalries in my mind are the enduring ones with Boston and Philadelphia. I used to love sitting in the cheap seats in the Forum with a few deluded Boston fans cheering on Terry O’Reilly, ’cause that’s all they had to cheer for. They’d yell: “C’mon Terry, hunt!”, and they’d snarl and swear. He’d run around like a buffoon, not able to keep up with the play, and Shutt would pot a couple on the power play and they’d go home with their tails between their legs.

The only significant Toronto moment I can remember is when the good guys had just bounced the Leafs I think in four straight, and Tiger Williams was trying to get at the referee to argue a penalty call, and Larry Robinson held him back and talked him down. Rene Lecavalier may have been right in saying that Robinson had effectively saved Williams’ career. That’s as heated as it got.

I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I don’t really hate the team. The team is just pathetic and I kind’ve feel sorry for them. Like that friend that can just never get a date. I hate the fans. They are ignorant and delusional all at the same time.