Quick hits

Before the season began, Carey Price faced more pressure than any other player in the NHL.

Now it’s James Wisniewski.

The wheels are coming off your Montreal Canadiens.

And the new defenceman, who will join the team for the end of this disastrous road trip, can’t solve all their problems.

Give them credit for consistency: the Canadiens have been shut out four times – all by 3-0 scores.

And don’t hang this on Carey Price. He made 28 saves, several of them sensational.

P.K. Subban played a decent game after another enforced vacation.

Lars Eller played 11 quality minutes.

Everyone else …

Consider the stats of the team’s best forward:

Tomas Plekanec had one shot on goal, lost 15 of 21 faceoffs and took six minutes in penalties.

Scott Gomez took 12 faceoffs and lost them all.

Consider Roman Hamrlik and Jaro Spacek playing 25:34 and 24:37, respectively.

Yes, they were heroic during Andrei Markov’s absence last season. But the Old Czechs were younger.

They’re 36. Hamrlik and Spatch play against the best forwards in the league. And when the opposing coach gets last change, it’s Alexandre Picard and Yannick Eber trying to contain the likes of Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin et al.

The Canadiens weren’t terrible in Washington. They shut down one of the league’s most dangerous power plays, they forced Semyon Varlamov into some good stops.

But when the Caps grabbed an early lead ..

Well, you know the grim numbers:

Your Montreal Canadiens are 0-11 when trailing after one period, 0-14 when behind after 40 minutes.

On Dec. 7, the Canadiens were 18-8-2, good for first place in the Northeast Division.

Heading to sunny Florida – where Guy Boucher awaits – they’re 20-15-2 … good for eighth, and hoping the Wiz can help.

Wisniewski will help the power play, where the Canadiens cannot get a shot on goal from the point.

He’s a physical Dman who’ll keep the big thumpers off Carey Price.

With a solidified defence and strong goaltending, the Canadiens may score first and scratch out a few one-goal wins.

But what can Wiz do to get the forwards going?

Smack them around in practice?

No one on this team goes to the net.

The Canadiens are a perimeter team that doesn’t generate second chances.

RDS showed Tomas Plekanec going after Subban in practice. How often do we see that edge in games?

The guys with size either lack talent (Mathieu Darche, Travis Moen, Maxim Lapierre, who played four minutes) experience (Lars Eller, Max-Pac) or heart (AK46, Benoit Pouliot, who played all of 8:20 in Washington.)

One illustrative play: Cammalleri was parked at the side of the crease, trying to get into scoring position in front of Semyon Varlamov. His efforts to do so were countered by Karl Alzner, whom no one has ever mistaken for Scott Stevens.

Cammalleri was totally sealed off. Alzner didn’t yield an inch.

The Canadiens lose battles like that all over the ice, in every game.

Help is on the way in the person of Jimmy Wiz.

Will it be enough?

•  •  •

Grim stat:

In their last two games, the Canadiens have scored once and taken 14 minor penalties, a double minor and a boarding major.

It’s officially a slump.

•  •  •

Boston and Carolina win.

Is it me, or is it getting kinda warm?

1. krob1000 says:

Maybe they will when this dumb Wis starts firing the puck

2. krob1000 says:

Eller is not yet 32 years of age or makey twice the money he should…these are prerequisites to acquire gold membership to JM’s accountability free club.

I lok to a few key mometns that truned this club around for the worst…first there ws the Eller getting five minutes despite playing his butf off, the non punishment of Gomez, this one is one the team and even guys like Hal Gill.,….when nobody stepped up and sided wiht Pkw hen the whole hockey world was on his ass and instead they agreed he needs to tone it down…I got my first hint of real troulbe…when Cammi didn’t say anything that night that he was actually more respnsible then PK for both of those mistakes…I knew there was trouble, when Poluiot gave up a few games ago on an icing and on Laps 2 on 1,……Andrei looking uninterested, etc…..

I ta ll seemed to happena round the PK incdent…how does a guy go from being your top minute guy to not worthy of playing…..how did Andrei our third leading scorer get benched but not Gomez, how did Gill, Hammer and Spacek…remember Spacek for a whiule there not ever get benched and PK did..for being flashy? or cocky…well maybe the guys in tharoom should look aound and realize he wouldn’ have got all of that attention if one siumple thing weren;t true…..he is and was playing better than all of them….

The step backs in Pouliot, Eller, Andrei and Pk all go directly back to JM’s drug store psychology in my mind..this isn’t 1985 and these kids could all quit and retire if they wanted…comfortably for the most part….they play because they want to play…theya re athletes….but when they are treated as experimental lab rats and guines pigs…they do not respond……..Gomez is playing great….now….but if he were anyone else he would have been waived long ago.  OB was not as bad as JM made him out to be and I am still sour on the whole Sergei thing as I will and don;t even bother trying to change my mind think the organizationw as more to blame there…..we just keep running guys out…not vets who are washed up but kids who have their best years ahead of them and are affordable…and for nothing.

I

3. Chuck says:

I could take 12 faceoffs and lose them all.  :)

Centre Hice: Top-10 worst Hab nicknames

4. Habnofear says:

How bout Mark Messier….be like a epic movie staring Yule Brenner:)

5. habsfan0 says:

Does “wisdom” go to the net?

6. krob1000 says:

“But Yoda was just another smurf”?   Blasphemer!!!!

Yoda was green…not baby blue, Yoda has a light sabre not hefty smurf, yoda’s girlfriend was…..ok…that one is a draw…dang…why is it I like Yoda so much….must be that infinite wisdom…yeah that’s it…wisdom…

7. rwparent says:

this is exactly the same as last year – nobody goes to the net and no offense from the defense

a different coach has not changed that – this roster is totally dependent on the goalie stealing games

if you think that is a good way to advance in the playoffs you might be in for a bad surprise

Eller was the best player again tonight but Jacques does not reward it with more ice or better wingers

please explain

8. habsfan0 says:

“Scott Gomez took 12 faceoffs and lost them all.”

Geez…people expect miracles on $8 million per..

9. yukonhab says:

How bout this one?

Never say whoa in  mud hole!

Support your local indian – Price 31

10. habsfan0 says:

Put a white beard and moustache on Jacques Martin..and he’d be a dead ringer for Captain E.J. Smith of the Titanic..

11. krob1000 says:

well at least the good news is I wouldn’t be this upset if I didn’t think they were better…..The key to our early success was production and solid play from the second tier of guys Andrei, Pk, Pouliot, Eller…..essentially everyone that has been doghoused. They have all had their confidence stripped….instead of being told to work through their problems they have ahd them compounded.  This team with Markov and one more acquistion was a contender, without him we need far more tweaking but the main parts are there…..but all the best tools make not a mechanic……and I wouldn’t let Jacques near my car….

12. rwparent says:

please explain…real slow and no big words

13. habsfan0 says:

But Yoda was just another smurf..he’d fit right in on the Habs..

14. yukonhab says:

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional is the best explaination of being a Habs fan

Support your local indian – Price 31

15. jew4jah says:

i’m not a smart man but i know what poop is

16. larisalapointe says:

Double

17. krob1000 says:

the habs are like a box of chocolates…except lately I know what I’m gonna get

18. krob1000 says:

I FOUND A GREAT SITE FILLED WITH QUOTES FOR THESE TIMES OF TROUBLE….http://www.quotegarden.com/adversity.html

If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem.  Everything else is inconvenience.  ~Robert Fulghum

Pain is inevitable.  Suffering is optional.  ~M. Kathleen Casey

If you’re going through hell, keep going.  ~Winston Churchill

We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, “Why did this happen to me?” unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way.  ~Author Unknown

A bend in the road is not the end of the road… unless you fail to make the turn.  ~Author Unknown

The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief.  ~William Shakespeare, Othello

I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle.  I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much.  ~Mother Teresa

The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.  ~Harry Golden

We acquire the strength we have overcome.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can’t run away from trouble.  There ain’t no place that far.  ~Uncle Remus

Enduring habits I hate…. Yes, at the very bottom of my soul I feel grateful to all my misery and bouts of sickness and everything about me that is imperfect, because this sort of thing leaves me with a hundred backdoors through which I can escape from enduring habits.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science, 1882

19. yukonhab says:

Anger is as anger does Krob1000

Support your local indian – Price 31

20. RiverviewCanadien says:

So…any chance Feaster will trade the Habs Iginla?

21. Shiloh says:

The incredible Bobby Zimmerman, born 100 miles down the road from Thunder Bay in Hibbing, Minnesota. He also had something to say to Don Cherry and all the right-wingers:

“You know patriotism is the last refuge

to which a scoundrel clings.

Steal a little and they’ll throw you in jail,

Steal a lot they’ll make you king.

22. krob1000 says:

You guys are no fun….misery loves company and I am miserable…..oh well…the site can be my cyber shrink….I’ll type a lot and it can listen….then I’ll feel better….I need to see results and yellng at the television just couldn’t let me truly visualize my anger

23. Bill says:

People do give you a lot of crap, no doubt about it. Maybe it’s your avatar?

Full Breezer 4 Life

24. krob1000 says:

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Yoda

And I am afraid…very afraid……

25. krob1000 says:

This little ditty goes out to all those under 32 who have had arse splinter issues since JM’s appointment in Montreal…….

“Fraid of Jacques, fraid of Jacques,he don’t  like you, less your 32 ,

sign me to anotha teama, sign me to anotha teama, done like din, done like din”

Everybody now…..

It ain’t dark yet but it’s getting there (Bob Dylan).

27. yukonhab says:

Maybe we’ll go and get Bieksa next

Support your local indian – Price 31

28. krob1000 says:

Was it that movie where Fat Bastard stole the teams MOJO? you can’t leave me hanging ….that’s two edumacated guesses!

29. krob1000 says:

The Outsiders?

30. Graves says:

The scorers can’t score and the tough guys aren’t tough. Haven’t we seen this movie before?

31. krob1000 says:

oh….I thought Martin benched him for a mistake he made in New York two weeks ago….

32. yukonhab says:

He’s saving it all for Mtl

Support your local indian – Price 31

33. krob1000 says:

Dunno bout that trade…Wisniewski looked kind of invisible out there tonight

Man, you SHOULD watch. It was quite an experience. I swear.

Sigh… i have to start repeating this all over again. before we start wishing for this player and that player we need a coach that can utilize each players skills and talents in the proper way, not try to mold everyone to fit some sort of The System be you a 50 goal scorer or a plugger. So before we get Kessler or Iginla or Sidney Crosby we need to get rid off Martin and get a coach that can work with players.

36. Shiloh says:

Just got home – don’t know if I’ll watch Canadiens Express on RDS or not. We have a record of 20-15, which is about what we’re worth thus far. I’m getting concerned about Jacques Martin though. They are not responding to his “tweaks”. The handling of Subban was a big mistake. Sitting him one game would have been a lesson – sitting hime three games has clearly backfired. The “system” seems to be nothing more than trying to win as many games as possible by a score of 2-1. That plan goes out the window if your goalie doesn’t stand on his head every period of every game. I think it’s time to let Kirk Muller have a go at coaching – maybe the players will respond.

37. yukonhab says:

How’s it going Boone?

Happy New Year!

Support your local indian – Price 31

True… with Sutter we could have had Iginla for Darche.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs need Gionta to say “You know what, Pacioretty would probably work a lot better screening the goalie than I do, we should switch places and I should play perimeter.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

40. yukonhab says:

Daniel Sedin would be good also

Support your local indian – Price 31

41. Mike Boone says:

Everyone does

it ain’t bad. For me Wiesnewski always associates with sneezing though. But I can’t come up with a joke.

… or we can just get rid off Martin. Which is easier?

Good summary indeed by Boone. Funny how when I say these things I am getting shat on left and right… I guess status is everything.

44. yukonhab says:

Habs need a Ryan Kessler

Support your local indian – Price 31

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Iginla would put the Habs in legit Contender status provided not too much was given up in the move, a shame Daffy Darryl stepped down in CGY, Feaster might want something more than magic beans.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

46. keepthefaith says:

Before you capolgists and such tell me the million reasons why this will never happen, I am just dreaming out loud. But wouldnt Jarome Iginla and his attitude look good in a Habs uniform.

47. Bill says:

A terse and to the point summary, with some unusually – and very welcome – frank statements:

“No-one on this team goes to the net”

“The Canadiensd are a perimeter team that doesn’t generate second chances”

“The guys with size either lack talent (Mathieu Darche, Travis Moen,
    Maxim Lapierre, who played four minutes) experience (Lars Eller,
    Max-Pac) or heart (AK46, Benoit Pouliot, who played all of 8:20 in
    Washington.)”

“Pleks, Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta and Michael Cammalleri are talented smurfs, unwilling or unable to go into the dirty areas.”

Wizniewski IS going to help. He’s going to take a load off the other defenders and improve the offence. Defensively, I don’t know anything about him, other than that he was not highly esteemed by the Ducks, and was cut loose suspiciously early by the Isles, though I don’t know if that means anything.

But the Habs need a difference maker up front. They need that guy who will make trouble in the crease and be a physical presence in the offensive zone, because right now NO ONE on this team makes any defender uncomfortable in the offensive zone.

The tantalizing thing is … it would just take one guy … I thought it could be Max Pac, but rest assured Martin is working his magic on neutering that guy’s game. The Habs need a veteran with lots of sand and good hands who can’t be cowed by JM’s boring perimeter style. Iginla is an example, though that deal is probably impossible. Him or someone like him would make a huge difference to this squad though.

Full Breezer 4 Life

48. Chris L says:

The last few weeks have been a bummer to watch.  I was disappointed in the off-season when they didn’t resign Dominic Moore.  IMO, he is a tad bit better than Darche & Halpern.  Yet, moaning over a 4th line center won’t solve the problems the team is currently facing.  Does bringing in Langenbrunner to play with his old pals from NJ help?  It could help… personally, I’d love to see it.  I also believe that there a better answer is a top 6 forward to play with them that has size.

If Gorges is out, they need at least one more D.  Wiz is a great start.

49. punkster says:

Is this the first official Wiz joke? Awesome!

***Subbang!!!***

Knock, knock.

Who’s there?

Wisniewski.

Nothing’s newskie with me, what’s newskie with you?

51. habs001 says:

again who on the team is under performing in goal scoring based on their career stats..exactly…ouris group of forwards are doing what they will do for the rest of the year ,next year…thay are what they are…eller is the only unknown forward that we do not know his upside

52. wall2bay says:

Hammer (and even Spacek) have no business playing the PP anymore.  We need a top fwd that actually goes to the net and has talent……..Iginla maybe???  Maybe the Flames cut their losses and take Hammer’s expiring contract???

And another thing why can’t Weber and PK play together on the PP??

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri