Quick hits

How’s this for a quick hit?

Your Montreal Canadiens sucked.

To launch a killer stretch of four games in six days, the team was thoroughly beaten by a no-hope team that has 18 fewer points than the Northeast Division “leaders”.

Here’s the stat that says it all.

Blocking shots is dirty and dangerous work. Like taking a hit to make a pass, blocking a shot shots is a leading indicator of the will to sacrifice your body in order to win

The Islanders had 17 blocked shots by 11 players. John Tavares, Blake Comeau and Frans Nielsen blocked shots.

Seven Canadiens combined for eight blocks. Scott Gomez, Tomas Plekanec, Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, Maxim Lapierre and Benoit Pouloit combined for ONE BLOCKED SHOT, by the captain.

Lars Eller blocked a shot. The only Canadien who had more than one BS was Max Pacioretty, who had two.

Roman Hamrlik had no blocks … possibly because at his age, if he goes down he might not be able to get back up.

Josh Gorges: none. Hal Gill: none.

Carey Price blocked 21 … but I’ll save comments about the goaltender for About Last Night …

Suffice to say, at this point, we can be thankful the Canadiens haven’t been in a shootout this season, because one-on-one does not seem to be the goaltender’s forte.

But Carey Price didn’t cost them the game.

The Canadiens were awful, and they play in Washington on Tuesday night.

Habs Inside/Out was awful because our server crashed before the third period began.

I’m totally bummed.

More tomorrow.

•  •  •

Schadenfreude Special:

Martin F. Brodeur has been pulled more often than he’s won, six times vs. five.

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Good morning professor …My priority was watching the Canada/Russia game yesterday (Habs & WJC PVR’d because My kids and I were punch-drunk with Boxing Day sales), but when I went to My iPod Touch HIO app to check on My Habs, it was 2-0 Islanders for a few hours …leading me to consider the snow storm had crushed the arena roof or some such catastrophy …when I actually read the game result and watched the recording, a crushed roof would have been more pleasant
    …so, yes, I too am perplexed WHY a successful site like HIO and Moneybags Boone doesn’t get His rear in gear to solve the bugs
    …I’m sure HIO have the resources to fix it if They were not so cheap
    …re the Canucklehead/Hab game …tried getting 2 seats together for My Son and I …but fate was not kind

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

2. VancouverHab says:

Hello H.I.S. — just making sure I was being clear that I’m not one to complain about the flavour of free vanilla ice cream (but just hear me bellow when the neopolitan I’ve paid for is sour.)

Tickets found under the tree for the Habs game here in Feb — you going?

3. Niflster says:

Coming from a former Montrealer, now living in Norway, I too would gladly help out as I use this service to keep up with my team from way too far away.  I have to agree with VancouverHab that HIO should at least consider the option.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…such generousity is only feasable from a tenured professor

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

5. VancouverHab says:

Mr. Boone:

I’ve said it before — I will happily pay to have the site reliable. I’m very cheerful about free services, but how inept is your tech support side here?

Again, if the problem is resources. I, and many others, will happily pay to have sometuing more like reliablity. We LOVE the service here, but, ‘cmon, the access is totally anomalous: like HELLO — I WANT to give you money!

6. OneTimer says:

On the upside, PK has to be in the lineup next game, right? Time to carry this team on your back, son…

7. Kristopher7 says:

you know what’s awkward? Price still leads the league in wins….. pretty confusing.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

You know, I’d still put down cash that we go into the Washington game and the Canadiens put on a great show. The way it goes, they have a real issue playing anything above average against the bottom-dweller teams. Not saying I enjoyed watching them miss 17 open nets tonight but that’s the way this season is going.

Just saying it wouldn’t surprise me, nor would getting out of Florida with only 1 win.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in a perfect world I prefer Our Habs had a Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Gagne et al rather than Our Mosquitoes …but My opinion includes that Boucher would get as much from the Plekaneks, Giontas, Cammallaris, etc., and even more out of the Pouliots, Kostitsins, O’ Byrnes etc.

…of course, this is only My opinion …only in July will My Opinion be given any credibility, or not

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…haha …ya, haven’t been too involved commenting lately Stephen …just thought I would be objective about things …just fair comments considering the recent product lately on the ice …but I ain’t throwing Carey under the Bus …anyone booing Carey during the game is a boor, a putz, a schmuck …but being blind to His letting in too many stoppable goals in HIO is being naive and not objective

…I think a smarter way for Martin to play Carey is give Him a rest every 8 games or so …a tired Carey Price plays as though His head is in the clouds …He ain’t Marty Brodeur yet is He Stephen …nor, it seems is Jaro

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

11. spos080808 says:

The Habs would be killed nightly if they tried to play the Boucher style he has going in TB. Montreal does not have the talent up front to be able to play that way. And defensively, they would be giving up odd man rushes 10x more than they are right now.

It would be fun to watch, sure, but, it def. would not have gotten them to the ECF that is for damn sure.

So yes it is boring hockey most of the time, but so far, it has been winning hockey. Not as of late I know, but nobody was complaining when they were winning.

12. Habnofear says:

First you knock Price and then you bring up Boucher….there’s going to be a linching tonight!!!:)  I think I know the new 19 year Habs  philosophy as shared by the Maple Leafs….You wait for all the fans to die of old age and poof ,no more bitching:)

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I had promised Myself not to mention Guy Boucher again until after all the results are in for this season …but I think I will break that promise if only to illustrate My opinion that I feel Martin’s so-called ‘system’ demands players to play an exceptionally high-tempo and a self-discipline game that is very hard to maintain over a prolonged period of time, especially because Our talent-level/overall physical robustness requires We play beyond Our talent-level …therein Our Players are more prone to burn-out under Martin
    …My opinion was Guy Boucher represented an opportunity for Our Habs to return to a intelligent fire-wagon style of hockey, …the major contrast with the JM-type ‘system’ is that Boucher productively encourages each individual player’s unique talents within ‘his system’, …wherein Jacques Martin prefers pounding square-pegs into round-holes
    …that being said, Jacques Martin IS Our Coach, and Boucher is gainfully (and successfully) employed today by the Tampa Bay Light Bulbs
    …so nuttin’ We can do about it now
    …the positive is Jacques Martin’s ace-in-the-hole, compared to other teams he has coached in the NHL, is Our Team do have extremely ‘intelligent’ Players with great character …when the chips are down, I have no doubt They will answer the bell like They showed Us last Spring …the question is, …will We have the same level of goaltending ?

14. MathMan says:

“Blocking shots is dirty and dangerous work. Like taking a hit to make a
    pass, blocking a shot shots is a leading indicator of the will to
    sacrifice your body in order to win”

This is wrong, dead wrong.

Individual blocked shots are good plays, but at the team scale, having a lot of blocked shots is a sign that your team is getting dominated!

It means that the opponent is in your offensive zone, holding the puck, taking shots! If you don’t have a lot of blocked shots and are still leading on the shot clock it means that you are not giving the opponent the opportunity to take shots — and it means you don’t have the opportunity to block a lot of shots.

A high blocked shot count is a big, big red flag!

Case in point, the Habs attempted 73 shots and blocked 17 — 23%. The Habs blocked 10 of the Isles’ 43 attempts — 23%… The Habs blocked less shots because the Islanders tried less shots — because the Habs had fewer chances to block shots, not because they lacked the will to do so. They blocked fewer shots because they were carrying the play.

The high blocked shots total, combined with shots and missed shots, tells me that the Habs spent most of their time in the Islanders’ zone, and that the score didn’t reflect the flow of play.

15. keepthefaith says:

Take a look at the goals that beat Price in the last three games. How many of those is he supposed to save? How many of those are the D men s fault? I bet you choice number two is a lot higher than choice number one. Picard just plain sucks. How many breakaways is this guy gonna cause before he gets his seat in the press box? So maybe PK doesnt respect the veterans, but the veterans are sucking. He deserves to play ahead of Picard any day. And why do we have Picard paired with Weber or PK when he does play? Its like having two number 7 d dressed out there. And paired together. This has to fall on the coach.

16. keepthefaith says:

i agree he hasn’t been as spectacular as he was to start the year, but the D or lack of is not helping at all. I think the team as a whole overachieved to start the year , and now are underachieving. Hopefully it will balance out. We need a top defenseman here pretty quick.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this from a Carey Fan …Price stank on ALL 4 goals
    …Carey Price stank as much as the rest of the Team …if You are in the least bit objective
    …He was very much the 2009/2010 Carey Price tonight …and has been slipping to this level over the past several games with occasional flashes of brilliance
    …only reasonable to be worried …because our Team needs a better than mediocre goalie to go anywhere
    …the thing is not to lose Our heads, because We see this all through the League, teams ebbing and waning
    …even Jaro was in a funk for much of this early season, yet seems to be coming back into form again
    …but lets be frank about Carey Price …He has returned into last season’s mediocrity at the moment

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

18. keepthefaith says:

How can you blame the goalie for two breakaway goals? Cmon man. The D has to take the blame. You expect him to steal every game? Yes he is not playing like he did earlier in the season but he is not to blame for any of our losses yet.

19. Habnofear says:

It’s as if he’s DRINKING  TOO MUCH(tell me he didn’t make some hangover lasse fare plays tonight,lol),after all …who goinna replace him . Christopher ,best wishes to you and yours….

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Stephen, I know You are a good guy at heart …but that reference to ‘drinking’ was dumb and mean

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

21. Habnofear says:

Christopher ,it’s a possibility..the team played as if hung-over…I mean losing to the Islanders and getting thumped too boot?I remember once being at a ball tournament as a young man and I was a heck of an athlete back then,well we make it to the finals and go drinking the night before to celebrate…well, one high-lite for you….ball gets batted to me and all I have to do is throw to first….dam if I couldn’t get the ball out of my glove,lol

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was a better than average goalie Myself at one time …and had partied too-hard effecting My game on more than one occasion …but saying something like that about a person You don’t even know lacks a certain decency Stephen

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

23. avatar_58 says:

You guys blame PRICE????

Oh *please*. The team sucked. Martin made zero adjustments, he watched as they failed period after period. Oh but hey, I’m sure he’ll bench someone next game given it’s “not a winning forumula”. How’s that subban benching working for ya? Oh wait….Moen was sick? THAT MUST BE IT! MOEN WAS OUT!

Wake up. The team is playing lazy and undisciplined. Pacioretty will be suspended for that hit, if he isn’t he deserves to be. You don’t hit from behind. Period. Hab or not.

Martin needs to be let go. It’s enough now. How many more benchings, line roulettes and other nonsense do we need to see? I’m personally done.

Martin should be let go? But what about The System? What will happen to The System?

25. JasonM says:

Before I’ll comment on anything… Boone… what is going on with this website? It goes down… a lot. I understand the occasional rare issue but it’s an issue that should seriously be looked at. It’s gotten to the point I don’t even check the website every day anymore. It’s simply unacceptable in this day and age that frequent issues like this happen. I’m not blaming you directly. However, I hope someone, somewhere is acknowledging this issue.

As far as the Canadiens go, they have been playing poorly overall the last 10 games. I’d say ever since that Edmonton game. I’m not a fan of the multiple changes to the lineup the excessive line modifications but what do I know? I’m just a fan. An issue I do have though is the popgun offense we have. Seriously… ONE GOAL vs the Isles? And only when the game was out of reach? The amount of open nets this team misses is astounding. I cannot tell you how often my mouth drops when players miss wide open nets and honestly can’t seem to score an easy goal. They make every goal seem like it’s a miracle, like the title of the movie based on the U.S Olympic Hockey team in 1980 against the Russian.

Here’s a newsflash, the Islanders AREN’T Russia and if you look at the standings, there are 2nd worse in the league beaten by the joke known as the Devils. Yet all we can get is ONE GOAL?

Something needs to happen before the second half of the season starts…. something beyond stalling the progress of PK Subban or putting A.K on the 4th line. Something more than putting Moen on our TOP 6.

All I know is Price is tired and shouldn’t be playing every game. They should rotating the defense. Keep our top 6 out there and keep them together… don’t blow up one line to help another from one shift to the next, am I the only one that sees the players float around when they have no idea how to build chemistry with another player in 30 seconds? And most importantly, the loss of Markov is leaving a huge hole in our team as our players are grinding the long season.

I miss my Habs of 10-15 games ago.

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…sure wish We had a few of those big robust bodies with speed and finesse playing on Team Canada’s WJC team on Our Habs

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

27. Bill says:

This is no longer a slumping team, but a team in real trouble. They get plowed by a team as terrible as the Islanders … and the Islanders banged up too!

It’s a team characterized by terrible defensive lapses and absolutely zero finish. The latter has been a problem all year, as the Habs have had a hell of a time scoring goals. The former has probably been a problem all year too, but had been masked up to this point by unusually hot goaltending. With Price slumping – bad numbers the past eight games – all the team’s warts are showing.

Although I am not the biggest JM fan – okay, I don’t like his style – I am not willing to blame him for the nose-dive his team has taken. The Habs have good playmakers and good finishers on both the top lines, and AK and Pacorietty provide size in the slot. Goals should be going in, but they haven’t been all year … nobody except Plekanec willing to pay the price? I don’t know.

Maybe it’s just the Markov trickle-down effect. It actually could be that simple. Only thing I know for sure is that Martin has proven unable to right the ship, and I’m not expecting anything more from him. His “system” in Montreal has only ever worked with lights-out goaltending. If Price can get back on track, he can carry this team again. If not … the rest of the season is going to be uglier and hairier than half-price night at a Peruvian bordello.

Full Breezer 4 Life

28. Captain aHab says:

I agree…don’t know why people are blaming JM when I saw at least 5 glorious scoring chances near the crease guys totally whiffed on. Get your goddamn sticks on the goddamn ice for deflections boys.

JM can’t score for them and they are getting many chances.

What I don’t personally like about JM is his handling of players and, as someone else said, his in-game management.

29. larisalapointe says:

Last time I saw Patrick Roy being interviewed was last summer at Jacques Demers’ farewell from RDS. He said in the last year he won the cup, he had more shots on him off the ice than he had on the ice.

Tremblay not pulling him off the ice that ill-fated night was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Sure there are a ton of stuff that was going on, we’ll never know about. But he got it from the fans, the media, and eventually he gave Montreal the middle finger and went elsewhere to win 2 more cups. I bet even if he let in 10 goals one night, Colorado would have never booed him.

So Carey Price, 23 years old, has to carry a team. booed, criticized, compared to others, etc..but only in Montreal. I wonder a short-term and cheap contract like his, which GM wouldn’t jump on if he also had enough?

Goalies go through slumps; hopefully they don’t last long, but are to be expected. The difference is the team in front usually will just score more goals. Our team can’t, not that they don’t want to, they just can’t.

Yes Carey hasn’t stood on his head for a few games now, but he hasn’t cost our team any games either. He keeps them in the game for long periods of time without anyone from his team scoring. He is the goalie we saw the first 2 months, and as well the goalie we are now seeing. Do people realize that other goalies in the league go through the same and that’s totally normal as it is a long season. It is not the end of him (lol), he will have tons of stellar games in the future. I just hope it is with Montreal.

Some people say stats don’t lie, and some people say stats are for losers. I think stats are for people who need to explain things instead of understand things.

Auld should’ve played. In fact Auld should have played a few more games than he has already. It should be a 65-35 split. Price is going to get mentally fatigued if this continues. The team needs to win without needing the goaltender to steal games all the time.

31. Habnofear says:

HH …I’m a west coaster and have seen plenty of Auld(nice guy) and he’s not NHL  caliber,Sanford?

32. SeriousFan09 says:

100% agree, mental fatigue wears a goalie down, especially a goalie who has not played a ton of games since his marathon year of WHL, WJC and AHL in 06-07.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. The Teacher says:

Regardless of whether it was responsible for the loss or not, the REFEREEING FLAT OUT SUCKED SOME ROUND THINGS THAT HANG and something needs to be done. I am slowly losing interest in watching this garbage. Either get NFL-caliber refs or throw them all out and get minor hockey refs, they couldn’t do worse and they deserve a shot.