As Michel Bergeron said on L’Antichambre, the Canadiens have passed their first test of the season.
The Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins: Serious Stanley Cup aspirants.
One goal against.
Play it again, Jacques: Special teams and goaltending.
And your Montreal Canadiens are undefeated in the post-O’Byrne era.
There’s so much to like:
• The power play went 2-for-5 against the league’s best penalty kill.
• The PK was perfect in four shorthanded situations. They’ve killed 31 of 32 penalties on the road.
• Brian Gionta scores!!!
• Scott Gomez scores!!!!!!! In his 800th game (and it seems like 799 since he scored)
• Carey Price in 15 starts: 9-5-1, 2.19, 92.3% Totally cool, totally confident. Did you love the save where the puck ticked off his glove and Price batted it away with his stick?
• 41 shots in a road game. Yes, the Bruins played Wednesday (and gave up 46 shots to the Penguins), but still …
• Martin was able to roll four lines against a tired team.
• Playing his first game in a tough building, P.K. Subban was brilliant, the “general on the ice,” Bergeron said.
• After being used for 4:24 against the Canucks, Lars Eller played 10:28 … and had shifts in the third period of a tough game.
• Roman Hamrlik and Jaro Spacek: They’re old, they’re slow and against two Cup contenders, they were great.
• The PhD line was excellent again. Jeff Halpern and Mathieu Darche play so smart, and they’ve resuscitated Benoit Pouliot’s career.
• Tom Pyatt skated the Bruins into the ice and had six SoG.
• Travis Moen had four hits and annoyed the Bruins all night.
• Josh Gorges and Andrei Markov are becoming a smoothly-oiled D machine.
• • •
Matt D’Agostini: Six goals and counting.
O’B will win the Norris Trophy.
• • •
James Murphy of ESPN-Boston Tweets: Claude Julien’s explanation for tonight’s 3-1 loss to arch-rival Montreal: “We lost our legs”. Really? It’s November! Not good.
• • •
On L’Antichambre, Gaston Therrien is loving Michaël Bourneval: captain of his junior team, can play all three forward positions, good skater, non-stop motor, the kind of player you hate playing against, won’t score 40 goals but will play in the NHL.