Quick Hits

Two things we can be sure of when your Montreal Canadiens play their hated and hateful Beantown rivals:

• Weird stuff will happen, and

• The Canadiens will win.

That 8-6 freak show in Boston last month?

Totally aberrational.

The proper order was restored last night at the Bell Centre, where the planets resumed their usual orbit and apples that fell out of trees landed on the ground.

The Canadiens won for the fourth time in five games against Boston this season.

A year ago, the Canadiens took the season series 5-1.

The Bruins came to Montreal with aspirations toward joining phast-phading Philadelphia atop the Eastern Conference standings.

Instead, the Bruins were dominated in all aspects of the game, save for thuggery, and the Canadiens, with their season-high fifth W in a row,  crept up to within three points of the Northeast Division leaders.

But it came at a cost.

Max Pacioretty – whose parents were at the game – is spending the night in the Montreal General Hospital. He is conscious and able to move his hands and feet.

When – or if – he’ll play hockey again this season …

Anyone’s guess.

Late update: Tests were reportedly negative. “Only” a concussion.

It says something about the state of the NHL that we’ve seen worse hits than the one Zdeno Chara laid on Pacioretty, with only seconds remaining in the second period and the Canadiens comfortably in control of the game.

No, Max-Pac didn’t have the puck. He had chipped it up the boards and was in pursuit.

And yes, there’s history between the players.

But had the hit happened anywhere else on the ice, the injury probably would not have been as severe as the horrifying sight of Pacioretty’s head bouncing off the turnbuckle covering a stanchion at the end of the Bruins’ bench.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie Tweeted:

“As for Chara hit, first reaction, subject to review, is that it wasn’t an overly dirty or malcious hit. Interference? Yes. Terrible result.” and ”Glass/boards configuration exacerbated it in big way. Started as a simple tho late rub out with bad consequences. What I’m not sure about…is whether a player (Chara) is ultimately responsible for outcome because of turnbuckle effect. Going to need some more looks.”

This reasoning did not sit well with a member of the Montreal media, who disgustingly described McKenzie as “un gros criss de pas bon” and a typical Hab-hating member of the TSN cabal.

The Pacioretty hit dominate sports talk radio, at least until Thursday when the Canadiens face Jaro Halak.

But what Canadiens fans can take away from this game is satisfaction in a job well done – and a successful exorcism of the demons that some feared tormented this allegedly too small/too soft team after the last game in Boston.

Credit Jacques Martin with adroit lineup juggling. Adding Ryan White and Paul Mara, for Tom Pyatt and Yannick Weber, added size and grit to the lineup – a change underscored by White pounding out an early decision over Johnny “I can Beat Up Jaro Spacek Any Day of the Week” Boychuk.

Interesting stat: But the power play and penalty kill sit seventh in the league in terms of efficiency: 20.3 and 84.0, respectively. Martin’s beloved special teams have been superb through the winning streak.

Another interesting stat: The Canadiens’ skaters blocked more shots than Carey Price stopped, 35-30. Paul Mara, James Wisniewski, Hal Gill and Roman Hamrlik had five blocks each. P.K. Subban had four.

That speaks to the Canadiens’ commitment to five-man effort, something they’ve been getting in all three zones lately.

The team has a problem if Pacioretty is gone for a while. He was rounding into what this franchise has sought, unsuccessfully, for a very long time: a power forward who can score.

Their other quest, for a centre with size, may be fulfilled by the constantly improving Lars Eller.

The man-child his teammates call “Larry” was moved to centre when Jeff Halpern joined the Tomas Plekanec line. Halpern as a Top Six is a bit of a stretch, but Eller, Andrei Kopstitsyn and Travis Moen have excelled since they were thrown together – another astute move by the coach whom too few respect.

Martin praised his team’s character. He said the players are “close-knit and support each other.”

Certainly against Boston.

More tomorrow.

• Schadenfreude Dep’t: Mike Komisarek played 9:24 in the Leafs’ loss to the Islanders.

Paul Mara, making $750,00 this season, played 16:05.

I made a reference to someone doing a Booby Clarke special as he did to Kharlamov’s ankle in’72 to Chara.

A nice two-hander. I never hated a hockey player as much as I do Chara right now. That includes Bobby Clarke who I loathe with a passion.

2. Habnofear says:

Man ,I was crying and seen it on Vancouver Island !

3. CBrady12 says:

Man, I’ve watched that replay 25 times and Chara has a clear view of the stansion… he was looking right at it.  There is no doubt that he intended for Pacioretty to hit it. None.

And Boone can talk all he wants about it being unfortunate and if it happend anywhere else then it wouldnt have been a problem but the fact of the matter is it DID happen there and Chara did NOT have to make that hit. Plain and simple.

4. Propwash says:

Patches, after that hit, and the ones you’ve taken before, you are one badass sob in my books.

5. SadPricey says:

I can agree with this wholeheartedly.  A typical habs game can be an emotional rollercoaster – but this just gave that term new meaning for me.

6. TheMock780 says:

On the Team 990, Marinaro was saying that Pacioretty’s parents were at the game. If I was a parent I can’t even imagine being there and watching that happen to my kid

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Best wishes to Pacioretty.

Although I think considering the severity of the hit, Pacioretty’s season should be shut down by the Habs medical staff and he should only resume play next season. I haven’t been this disturbed by a Habs player being hurt since Koivu took William’s stick in the eye in the 06 playoffs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. SadPricey says:

I can’t remember ever feeling so sick while watching a hockey game

between worry for patches and disgust I can honestly say I wanted to throw up.  I am way too angry to even speculate on chara’s intent. I’m  Not sure if I even want to go there.

just going to leave it at: Please be OK max, you are in our thoughts.

9. Scott in Montreal says:

Bob McKenzie was putting the best possible light on it. I don’t think Chara was too bright about it, but I don’t expect him to be too bright anyway. You would think that a veteran who is a captain and has played dozens of games in this arena would be conscious of the consequences of making a hit like that at that particular point along the boards. He isn’t blind. He wanted to get the maximum hurt on MaxPac, and he didn’t think about restraint at all. It is in his nature. He is like Sabretooth (X-Men villain). And a jerk, to boot. Totally irresponsible and poor leadership. And his coach is the one who set the tone for that kind of thinking in the first place. No class. Unless Pacioretty has a miracle recovery, Chara can expect this to haunt him – and his team – for the rest of his dubious career.

10. geo_habsgo says:

Great post and I totally agree. We need to remember that these are people and not machines. The wave of emotions has been intense for everyone and I can only imagine his family. My prayers are with them.

11. Bill says:

I don’t know what “un gros criss de pas bon” is, but whatever it is, I’m sure Bob McKenzie is it. He’s just another partisan TSN hack who’s won a few too many donuts on “roll up the rim”.

Full Breezer 4 Life

12. DearyLeary says:

Honestly, I think he’ll be lucky if he plays next year.

13. Propwash says:

It all boils down to this, the Habs friggin ROCK!

14. sidhu says:

McKenzie’s argument — that the result is due to the placement of the hit and location of the stanchion, rather than what Chara actually did — is total bull.

Chara knew (he admitted after the game) that the players were near the bench and he therefore knew or had to know that the stanchion was there as well.  The location IS FACTORED into the hit.  Chara did not make the hit in isolation, he makes it in the context of where it takes place.

To absolve Chara because of the location is ridiculous.  Yes, perhaps more precautions can be made in the future.  But Chara made the hit with the precautions that are there now and that he knew about when he extended his arm and guided Pacioretty into that location.

15. krob1000 says:

It’s times like these I really hope Jeff Gilooly is a Habs fan.

16. DearyLeary says:

Exactly.  I think there was intent, but that’s hard to prove.  The fact is that it was an extremely dangerous play, which was a penalty whether the player was injured or not, on a player in a vulnerable position.  Playing recklessly doesn’t give you a carte blanche to hurt players because you “didn’t mean to do it”.

It was reckless, and he could have very well killed a player there, if the league doesn’t think it’s serious then maybe it’s time I give up on hockey and watch something more civilized… maybe Micheal Vick is still running his get togethers.

17. DearyLeary says:

Reckless play isn’t an excuse to injure another player.  It was a penalty no matter where the hit took place; but he did it in a dangerous place, against a vulnerable opponent.  If that’s not suspendable, I don’t know what is anymore.

18. sidhu says:

I agree — intent here should not mean anything. He hit Pacioretty and should accept responsibility.  Intent is hard to prove, anyway, and of course he will deny any bad intent.  But if we are going to talk intent, it’s critical to note that Chara had motive — he had to know it was Pacioretty.

As for Lucic, the refs dropped the ball by giving him a roughing.  They should have given him a misconduct and sent him to the dressing room.  By that time, it was clear that Lucic was not interested in playing hockey any more. There’s no need for the refs to keep him around.

19. Just A Guy says:

Just heard Marinaro reporting in saying its only a minor concussion for Patches.

Only…the NHL dodged a huge bullet on this one. How many people were watching this game though?

“Tell him he’s Wayne Gretzky.” – Oilers coach Ted Green, after Shaun Van Allen suffered a concussion and couldn’t remember who he was.

20. Bill says:

Haha, awesome reference! Thanks for the laugh on a sad night.

Full Breezer 4 Life

21. DearyLeary says:

It’s like saying manslaughter is an accident.  Reckless behaviour is every bit as punishable as intent.

All I have to say is this: “Eat shit, Bruins. Eat a lot of it”

Great game by the Habs. For the first time this year truly impressed by the team. Fantastic effort that only underscores that Bruins have nothing behind them except for thuggery. FU Bruins $hitheads and FU MacKenzie.

23. stephen says:

I’m glad you mentioned Lucic’s actions toward the end. The ‘timeout’ he got in the penalty box for clearly trying to instigate a fight  and incite things further is perhaps more indicative of the league’s lack of ‘testicular fortitude’ than what I suspect will be the very minor discipline handed out to Chara.

24. Kevin says:

I haven’t posted here in a long time even though I joined the website when it started up 6 or 7 years ago. But tonight, after seeing what Chara did, I’m so angry that I feel the need to express my disgust here. I hope Pacioretty is OK. I fear that his career as a potential high scoring power forward might be over. The only thought that makes me feel slightly better in this moment is a fantasy of Max’s family suing the pants off of Chara — letting the NHL know that if they don’t take care of their business properly, then the courts will.

25. sidhu says:

Chara said after the game, “these things happen,” as if they are to be an accepted (but “unfortunate”) part of the game.  No way.  The league has to make an example of Chara and protect vulnerable players from hits from the head.

In the future, players should know not to lead a player’s head into the stanchion.  The only way players will be incentivized to not do what Chara did, is if Chara himself received a big suspension.

26. go.habs.go says:

As we all drown ourselves in beer and condemn Chara to a miserable eternity in hell, let’s imagine (and, at this point, it does require some imagination) that they NHL’s rules against charging and boarding (etc.) are, in fact, meant to protect the players. Chara’s hit on Patches may not have been either of these, but the outcome was the same, or worse. Regardless of whether the hit itself was dirty, the play was illegal (i.e. interference, at best) and resulted in what could have been an absolutely devastating injury. It’s only reasonable to think that a dirty play that results in exactly the kind of injury that boarding/charging rules look to prevent would merit the same suspension.

I don’t think Chara is a dirty player, in general – and, in this instance, it doesn’t even matter. His illegal play caused another player to be (seriously?) injured, and he should be held accountable for his actions and suspended for more that the league-standard 2 games. He defends himself by saying that he didn’t mean to hurt Patches (which is probably true), and you could argue that he didn’t realize the partition was so close (which may or may not be true), but the league hands out penalties when a player loses control of his stick and accidentally cuts another player (why they base such decisions on who draws more blood is beyond me) – how is this any different?

This is happening way too often. Even if this wasn’t technically a “hit to the head,” and even if some brain-damaged NHL official can convince himself that the hit was clean, the play was illegal and Chara’s actions were completely irresponsible. The league should hold players to higher standards of personal accountability. Not to be alarmist, but it’s only a matter of time before someone gets killed.

27. CBrady12 says:

Is anyone seeing the same replay as me? The closer replay clearly shows Chara is LOOKING RIGHT AT THE GODDAM STANCHION AS HE SHOVES PACIORETTY INTO IT!!!!

28. Chorske says:

I think this is an astute comment: the league dodged a bullet. That hit could have killed someone, would have killed someone less solid. And then what? How do you sell THAT to the hockey moms and dads?

Make an example? You kidding right? Chara will get a fine at most. Campbell will write another email how Pax is a diver and fat pig MacKenzie will oink about it on TSN how Collie is great and objective and all will be good with the world again.

30. krob1000 says:

I heard Crosby was going to be out a couple of days with one of those minor concussion thingies…think I heard that a couple of months ago though

31. gourou04 says:

big effing sucker”

32. geo_habsgo says:

Great post. My sentiments exactly.

And as for you question about the severity of his injury, the verdict is out although someone posted that they’re reporting that its a “light” concussion. Regardless, concussions, big or small, are one of the most horrible injuries and its unfortunate because this whole mess could have been avoided.

33. CHsam says:

Yeah right, needs more viewings.

Just watch it again…… and factor in direction and speed. The guy knew what he was doing.

INTENT.

Problem is, five bucks says that I forget all of this tomorrow morn.

Whatever.

34. krob1000 says:

someone should swing their stick at Chara’s throat….then maybe someone can tweet that if the stick was swung anywhere else on the ice it would have been strike one

Chara is a retard. I am amazed he is actually able to breeze… and if Max Pac has anything resembling a concussion I hope Chara won’t be breathing for a lot longer.

36. geo_habsgo says:

I’m glad someone on the team had the balls to make any sort of implication like that. It was nice to see the boys rally around Patches though. Shows that they care and that this is a first-class organization.

37. CBrady12 says:

Exactly…

And for people (not on this site) that say “well its a split second decision”…BS!! If a player  can make a split second decision about where to pass, saucer pass or not, aim his shot, make a glove save, etc then they can make a split second decision not to slam someones head into a stanchion or hit someone from behind or hit someone in the head

38. darcy1 says:

better question: how do you sell that part of the sport to NON hockey parents who’s kid wants to play ?

——————-
    ”If you’ve only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It’ll seem like forever. ” Pat Foley (Blackhawks broadcaster)

39. go.habs.go says:

It wasn’t really a question — I’m basically glued to RDS for the next couple days. And no, the severity of the injury isn’t the point. That said, if a “light” concussion is the case (which is probably the best we can hope for), he got unbelievably lucky — as did Chara.

Doesn’t it mean “uncertain”? But i will trust you seeing how English isn’t my first language.

41. gourou04 says:

…try Greg Campbell, you might get more results out of it…

42. CBrady12 says:

I heard that too, at least someone has the balls to say something

43. Scott in Montreal says:

Timo, I don’t think dubious means what you think it means.

44. sidhu says:

Price: “Ryan White was awesome, sticking up for PK like that… [he has] big steel balls.”

I agree — White was awesome, he set the tone early on that we weren’t going to take any crap.

45. sidhu says:

Eller: “I think Chara knew the glass started there”

46. Da Hema says:

Goodness me! A lot of potty mouths tonight (including me earlier)!!

Where’s Booner with his bar of soap!

47. krob1000 says:

if you hit him during a fight with the same swing you might shatter his elbow as he’ll likely be beating someone with his pads…..

48. sidhu says:

One thing that Chara did not say after the game, “I’m sorry.”  He said it’s “unfortunate”, but failed to accept any responsibility.

No class during the game, no class after it.

A guy who isn’t contrite is even more deserving of punishment.  Otherwise, he’ll just continue to say he’s playing “tough” and injure people without any repercussions.

49. christophor says:

But its ok because the glass that Chara pushed him into is what hurt Patches, not Chara.

Got that?

Second Ammendment all the way.

50. krob1000 says:

So by that logic a hit from behind in open ice should be suspendable if a player falls forward? That Gillies hit the other day to me was far, far more “innocent”…his hit was less dirty on Clutterbuck than the one Clutterbuck had just dished out…mind you he deserved more games for his disrespect of Tangradi..but this was beyond dirty.  I have never really thought of Chara as “dirty” before…but he clearly sees the stanchion right before he pushes the head into it….I don’t doubt he wasn’t expecting to knock Pacioretty out for 5 minutes and possibly paralyze him…but he sure as hell meant to hurt him.  Chara also doesn’t normally paste smaller guys either….tonight he was all over Gio and Desharnais…in fact several Bruins took “runs” at guys that could easily have been boarding calls….Mcquaid was vicious tonight.

Crygate 2….I was actually brought to tears with Pacioretty’s ovation as the third star…it really hit home to me at that moment that Pacioretty may have played his last game as an NHL player, at that point it made me wonder if he’ll ever walk again,etc it was ridiculous..it completely sucked the fun out of the game and for me that is not easy to do.  Chara should get at least 10 games IMO and if the NHL has any balls and no kids on the BRuins..(shit,screwed there) 25 games….the puck is nowhere around so what is the difference between that and Bertuzzi? Chara has a history with Pacioretty over a nothing shove (I can;t even call it that after watching it again tonight)by the way, 15 seconds left, team down 4-0 in emotional game, he does look left, he rides him out waaaay too long, extends his arm, concussion….suspension that simple.  I was so angry when it happened…I am actually surprised nobody went to any greater lengths to injure Chara…he deserved it as at the point it almost appeared Pacioretty was certainly going to be paralyzed…he didn’t move at all (thank goodness he was smart enough not to move)

There is nothing dubious about his career – he is a career loser who never came within even a sniff of a cup.

52. CBrady12 says:

Thanks doc…but can we hold off on diagnosing someone from our living rooms

53. christophor says:

Um, that hit DIDN’T happen somewhere else on the ice. Why am I reading this everywhere? RIDICULOUS! You’re repsonsible to be aware of your surroundings, especially when they’re 5 feet IN FRONT of your face. That’s what matters. Not intention.

“But your honour, if I shot him with a Nerf gun, his brains would still be in his head. The bullets killed him, not me!”

BS!

54. bajd says:

Only Chara know’s if he truly meant to do it but the intent is besides the point–at least a little bit. When players shove their opponents from behind, it still leads to suspensions even though there may have been no intent to hurt the guy. I’m no lawyer but I wonder if the league is playing with fire if they don’t start coming down hard on these guys. It may be a violent sport but it’s also a sport clearly struggling to define where that line should be drawn. In my opinion, the league needs to start worrying about what will happen if someone is paralyzed or killed on the ice and start building a solid track record of swift discipline to show that they will not tolerate deliberate or reckless play on the ice. As for the Bruins, rose-coloured glasses may be on my face, but when guys like Lucic try to goad noted goon Pouliot into fighting long after the game was decided, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for the league to step in and possibly fine the Bruins

55. rogieshan says:

Given how the league is run, Chara will get off with only a gentle slap on the wrist as a first-time offender.

56. S_Dot says:

Tonight was an opportunity for me to come back to life and realize that what we are watching is real. Regardless of what sanctions are levied, the emotional tide I went through tonight showed me that sometimes I take for granted these guys put their bodies on line night after night. I can’t ever remember feeling as high as I did once we took that 4-0 lead and as low as I have seeing the aftermath of the hit Chara laid out. I am still in a state of shock, and going from thinking that the hit may have taken Max’s life, to his movement in his limbs, to him being okay in the hospital has been surreal.

Proud of the boys tonight, for 2 periods we handed it to ‘em (man Tukka sucks) and we flew…White set the tone and we scored timely goals…Larry keeps improving at his natural position and it looks like we may have a solid 3 lines (praying for a MaxPac comeback at some point this year) going into the playoffs with CP31 as a true Vezina contender…

Thoughts go out to MaxPac, get healthy!

57. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

mentioned in my post above. which also attacks boone. oh well.

58. TheDagger says:

How do you feel this hit stacks up against Trevor Gillies hit for 9 games. Albeit he is a repeat offender but to me this is a much more wreckless, malicious, disgusting hit than Gillies’. Suspension should be no less than the 9 games Gillies got for his hit.

59. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

BOONE: Just because another media member slags when of your media blowhard friends – and you are ALL blowhards (I think I remember your Bruin fearmongering, stating the Habs can’t compete with them. …Ahhh, but the fingers are in the wind, funny), doesn’t make it ‘disgusting.’

What’s disgusting is that a journalist would come out and give an UNREASONABLE benefit of the doubt to a historically shady player at best while forgetting the on-going history between the two players. Especially considering the controversial yet none-the-less strict Gillies suspension, the League’s supposed War On Concussions, and the claimed zero-tolerance for head injuring hits regardless of intent should in no way allow this to go with no suspension. A lack of suspension and the continuing instances of these head injuries is worthy of legal action against the league for failure to protect the health and safety of the players.

60. CBrady12 says:

just read mckenzies article about the hit. I agree that Chara probably didn’t intend to injure Patches but for me the issue isn’t whether he intended to injure Max so much as it was that he knew what he was doing. He knew the partition was coming and he knew that if he checked him there, he would hit the partition. He didn’t have to make the hit and he did, which proves that he was being reckless and irresponsible and he should be punished accordingly.

61. Fargo Habs Fan says:

I’m sure Colin Campbell will make the proper unbiased decision.

-Dustin-

62. habfan1969 says:

Before the season started everyone expected Eller to spend most of his time in Hamilton (where he’d probably be if Cammy hadn’t gotten hurt). He barely played in the NHL with St. Louis, he had a lot of rounding out to do, basic stuff on top of learning “the system”. The coaching staff has done a great job of easing him in here without sending him to the AHL. Eller did a good job proving himself, too. He’s earning a stay at centre, where I’m sure Martin and company knew he would shine — smart move for the stretch. I have no doubt the team always knew his potential and are developing him carefully.

63. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Bingo  ;)

-Dustin-

64. Aybara says:

Boom shaka-laka!

65. SHUTTemDOWN says:

“culminated w/ that Scum”

I hope u slept off that analysis.

When it’s scum like Lucic, capitalize that sh*t.

66. RGM says:

A little too quick to pull the Hitler card, and here’s one important historical fact that you may need to know: Hitler wasn’t born in Germany, he was born in Austria.

67. Itsik says:

All those sport guys are saying if the hit was anywhere else on the ice it wouldnt be bad. The problem with this analysis is outrages in my opionion. Its like saying, if Hitler was not born in Germany then there would not be a Holocaust. Hitler was born in Germany and that was not the excuse to kill so many innocent lives, same as for Chara, he knew where he is going to hit him, he was aware of the location, the timing, and to prove it, just look at his arm extending at the last second before the hit. If Chara is not disipline, I am affraid the NHL laid another egg here, and what happened next is only a question of time before someone sends flowers to a family of an ex Hockey player….

The NHL did not disipline the Bruins for February 9 game, and this is why the Islanders took liberty in beating the Pinguins, same here, people will be looking for something, if the NHL is not going to do anything, they will say, hey, we can do it, just make it look like an accident and tell reporters that its unfortunate.

Angel of death is knocking on the NHL door if nothing gets done to both the player and the team.

68. punkster says:

Ummm…no.

***Subbang!!!***

69. Nahlsy says:

Not to nit pick, but it’d be you driving your car at someone and missing, then backing up and trying again and missing, then the guy dives off the street and into a back yard and you crash through the back yard fence to get him and THEN claim it was an accident and the fault of the fence for not stopping your car.. This was Chara’s third attempt to get Pax afterall and he finally managed to connect.

70. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Really? WOW. The lengths people will go to continue to suppport their ridiculous claims and theories. This post is true nonsense. Dumbfounding and sad.

71. The Toronto Maple Queafs says:

Hello,

I’m a second-time poster and just wanted to share a few thoughts about the game tonight.  First and foremost, I’m extremely happy to hear that Max Pac is able to move his limbs.  I wish him a speedy recovery and hope to continue hearing more positive updates about his condition.

The hit:

As clichéd as it sounds, I think Chara should most certainly be held responsible for the consequences of his actions.  Although I do believe that Chara did not actually intend to permanently injure Mac Pac, or end his career, etc… Chara did decide to deliver a solid check… several moments after Max Pac had sent the puck into the offensive zone.  It’s important to note that Chara was completely aware of his surroundings (as he mentioned to reporters) and I’m sure he was somewhat certain that a strong hit would have caused his victim to at least fall over the boards (which is still quite malicious if you think about it).  Drunk drivers who never actually intend to drive into trucks/poles/trees but still accidentally kill their passengers are convicted and guilty of murder.  Similarly, I feel that hockey players who don’t specifically intend to paralyze/concuss their opponents must also be held accountable for bad decisions that end up severely harming their opponents.  In the real world (where no one gets paid millions of dollars to play a game), those who hurt other people by accident are still responsible for the harm they have caused.  I’m not saying that Chara should be sent to jail.  I do, however, think that he should be suspended… for several games.

The Habs not seeking revenge:

I’m pretty happy that they didn’t resort to cheap shots and “thuggury” at the end of the game.   If you really think about it…. they don’t even have the personnel to do so.  For obvious reasons, I really, really did not want to see Benoit Pouliot, or Gomez (who often gets feisty and crazy), or Moen fight Lucic.  A Chris Neil-type person would have really helped but the Habs organization does not want to employ the services of such players.  But when it was necessary, even with our lack of tough guys, we still won the only fight in the game.

The Habs beat a great team:

The Bruins have a bunch of cool, fancy new players that they acquired before the trade deadline.  The Bruins are a tough team with good defense, good offense and great goaltending.  They also blow three-game leads in the playoffs.  Oops!

72. The M says:

Nooooo.

I can only hope that the few people who commented on this idiotic post are the few unfortunate ones who painfully took the time to read it.

It’s probably been said, but “clueless”…

73. habsnation says:

The Chara hit tonight made me sick to my stomac. I have played and watched hockey my whole life and have seen some awful hits, but I have never seen a hit as dirty as the Chara hit tonight.

The NHL has tried to say this year that they are going to make a stand this year and cut out hits to the head or hits to players in a vulnerable position. Well Max was in a very vulnerable position. Had the hit not been at the bench would Max have been fine? Probably. Was the turnbuckle a huge factor in his injury? Of course. However the NHL has said that the player who commits the check has to be aware of the situation if he is going to hit a player and so Chara should be held responsible for the hit.

I think it is time that the NHL got serious about suspending players. Not just who they suspend but more by handing out harsher suspensions. Gillis in New York got 8 games and then ran someone on his 3rd shift back from the suspension. He should be gone for the year at least.

I think it’s time the NHL started handing out not just more, but more severe suspensions to get players attention and get them to wake up and show some respect for their fellow players.

Glad to hear Max is doing alright tonight. I can only hope he is back on the ice soon

74. Jdub1985 says:

Milton, Ontario.

BAM!

75. Jdub1985 says:

and beat the sh*t outta him.

76. Bouleau noir says:

Mike Jonhson from ( NHL network analyst ) provided a comment that was in agrement with Weekes’s own…… since Boychuk was covering Chara for the lose puck why would Chara chek Pacio knowing very well that he would be called for a 2 minutes interference penalty ? we all know that the players benchs are framed by a post on each side and it is ovbious that Chara knew exactly where he was while both were travelling past the Bruins bench….. slow motion made it clear that Chara shoved him exactly where he wanted…… should he get suspended for wreklessness or intend to injure ? his rescent behavourial history towards Pacio impose that he should be suspended for intend to injure for 10 games or more. Julien and teamates are saying that Chara play tought but faire…… thats b..shit….. remember that nasty suker punch which destroyed Raitii Yvanans face in a pre-saison game for the CH in 2005….. or his two hand wack behind Pacio unprotected back lower leg in our last game where he had to swim his way on the ice in pain trying to make it back to the bench….. Chara is a vicious man…. its been proven many time.

77. Chuck says:

Wow.

I looked up “clueless” in the dictionary, and your entire post was there as an example!

78. thebigguy says:

Zdeno Chara on the hit: “Unfortunate when I pushed him that he leaned & jumped a little into glass extension”

Also, he was wearing a short skirt and totally asking for it.

When is the NHL going to get off this antiquated crap about how victims are responsible for being injured. You cut across the middle and dare to look down for half a second, you should have kept your head up! The responsiblity is, was and always will be with the person initating contact. Ignore the supspension of disbelief and acceptance of grown men who like to punch each other. If hockey was part of any other part of society, the idea of anyone over 23 trying to hurt someone, much less someone well into their 30′s doing this would seem completey and utterly absurd.

79. Natrous says:

I can haz cheezeburger?

how does something that (huh?) turn into something quite rational and clear? Good point about the need for consistant enforcement and zero-tolerance stance across the board – I hope I don’t end up feeling embarassed to be a fan of the NHL.

80. Former Jets Fan says:

A player doesn’t have to take off his helmet w/ visor unless he initiates a fight against a player who does not wear a visor.  In this instance, White initiated the fisticuffs, so Boychuk wasn’t obligated to remove his.  Heckuva performance by White though, who gave up 4 inches to Boychuk.

81. Former Jets Fan says:

He’s preparing his rebuttal…..”This should never, never, never have happened!   Like I’ve been saying all along, Max should still be in Hamilton developing as a power forward.   Development = winning.”

82. Natrous says:

‘Since it’s not my call : no suspension, no fine’

haha bingo – totally agree

83. andrewberkshire says:

By the logic of Bob McKenzie and most of the MSM tonight, I could go out and run someone over in my car, and it wouldn’t be my fault, it’s the fault of the car for being built in a way that’s dangerous in collisions. Abhorrent.

84. Richrebellion says:

My biggest problem with the hit is that it was interference to begin with, its almost the same as someone smashing someone else in the face with their stick, it’s really only a 4 min penalty for high sticking even if you hit the guy with an abnormal amount of force and knocked him out no? Players are responsible for their actions, Chara gave a late aggresive hit in a horrible location. Did he mean to hurt Pacioretty, no one but Chara himself knows that but at the end of the day he did and should be punished for it.

85. christophor says:

I haven’t been this pissed in a while. It makes me realize how much people really need to go to school and learn to think through the implicaitons of what they’re arguing.

Even if there’s no intent (a BIG if), how can someone be let off the hook for being so reckless? Don’t we hold them responsible for not being aware of their immediate surroundings? If intended, it’s terrible and should spell the end of Chara’s season. If not intended, the stupidity of it is dangerous enough to merit a lengthy suspension as well.

I’m seriously getting pissed by reading how this wouldn’t be a problem if it were somewhere else on the ice. Um, a hit from behind wouldn’t be as bad if it were in open ice. Just a push really. And most of those hits aren’t intended, just reckless. Recklessness is just as punishable as intent.

Sorry to place this rant here, Andrew.

86. SHUTTemDOWN says:

Here’s a new rule: NO HITTING INTO BOARDS IN FRONT OF PLAYERS BENCH

Chowderhead Chara- 100% guilty

“The sh*t is CHESS!NOT CHECKERS.” Denzel W.(Training Day)

87. Rad says:

Glad to read that Max Pacioretty is not hurt as bad as we first feared. It must have been the thousands of us collectively praying for his safety at the same time.

For the record, tonight’s Bruins/Habs rematch officially started at 3:11 of the 1st Period, and ended at 19:44 of the 2nd Period – a total of 37 minutes, 33 seconds.  The rest of the game, as Mr. Boone would say, was “garbage time.”  Garbage like Milan Lucic celebrating his 3rd period goal as if he had just scored to win the Stanley Cup. Can you imagine Mike Cammalleri doing that in a similar situation? It’s simple: the Canadiens have class, the Bruins do not. Lucic may be a good player, but that ridiculous celebration shows he’s got much to learn.

The Canadiens won the game as I expected, but the fact that the Boston coach didn’t start Tim Thomas tells me that Claude Julien did not expect to win this game either. That’s something I don’t quite understand.

But the story of the game on the hockey side was the kids: Ryan White and Lars Eller. They won it for us in the 1st period. Though I was not surprised that White got himself into a rumble, I WAS surprised that he won the fight against the bigger Johnny Boychuk. With each punch that Ryan landed on 225 lb. Boychuk, the crowd roared, and that right there, was the hockey game. The Habs made their statement, and picked up the 2 points.

88. habfan1969 says:

I’d give 10 games, minimum, to send the message that you just don’t go there when you’re in that part of the rink. It has nothing to do with intention — it’s about reckless disregard for safety. The message has to be that you don’t throw a hit at either edge of the benches, you just don’t, just as you don’t shove a player towards the crossbar if two of you are barreling towards the net. Instilling respect for safety takes rules and serious consequences to breaking them, even if you break them inadvertently.

Pac is still in danger, we should still cross our fingers for him. Head injuries can take serious turns after the first hour or two. Chara should get 10 minimum even if Pac recovers quickly, clearly a player could get his neck broken from that sort of check, it’s arguably much more dangerous than a head first shove into the boards during an icing chase.

89. thebigguy says:

Just so we’re clear for those keeping score at home. You hit a guy in a vulnerable position fighting for the puck near the boards – checkers responsibility to know his surroundings.

On the other hand, if you hit a guy who no longer has the puck and has outskated you into the turnbuckle, or everyone’s new word of the day stanchion, it’s just a hockey play.Bad luck.

Thank god for Price and Martin, both of them called it a dirty hit. Honestly, I’m 27 years old. Outside of maybe the Mclaren hit on Zednik this is the most devastating hit I’ve ever seen while watching a game. Not on youtube the next day, but the game itself. I’m not disgusted at this play as a Habs fan, I’m pissed as a human being. We just saw a kid in his early 20′s, with his parents attending the game, almost get decapitated. Again, with his parents in attendance.

A hit like that leaves me speechless. A hit like that can turn you off hockey.

90. Jdub1985 says:

I get emotional – who doesn’t. For better or for worse, we all take time out of our lives to comment on this site. The fact that we take the time exemplifies that we ALL care about this team equally. One guys rant is another guys educated opinion. So if we disagree, agree or even insult each other – keep in perspective we are still in here together “posting” rather then the other million (probably more important) things to do in our lives.

That being said, watch this video:

I attended that game and watched live as the elbow of Kyle McLaren ended Richard Zednik’s playoffs. I watched that p.o.s. skate off, no gloves were dropped, no immediate reprcaussion. However, Michel Therrien showed emotion, he showed passion, he made a throat gesture to the Boston bench. Montreal retaliated, Quintal slashed Dafoe in the back of the leg and fights ensued which Montreal suprisingly won. Blood was spilled at home, and there were consequences. At the press confrence Michel famously quoted “if they go after our best players, then we will go after theirs”. Obviously none of that ensued – however, it was the mention of it that was valuable. The idea, the speech, the fact it was spoken.

Flashforward to 3rd period tonight. It wasn’t just Max on a stretcher, motionless, unconcious – it was also Pyatt, Hamrlik, Spacek getting goaded and pummelled by proven fighters, it was Julien arranging it. It was Chara’s two hand slash on the guy he intended to injure yet again. It was Lucic shoving Price to the ice – It was Marchand’s big mouth before the game. It has been total disrespect, arrogance and zero class and character. With all of the above in crystal clear perspective, perhaps all embodied in Patches gurney ride to the General. … It is now 4 – 0 with 20 mins and change to go. The crowd is silent, unsure how to digest what they all witnessed and Montreal begins with a 5 minute (uninterrupted PP).

So given all this information, there were 2 options. (1) NOT reverting to retaliation or (thuggery) and running that scoreboard to  6 – 7  nill. or (2) Sending a message, White or Mara or Moen – even AK (has a rep for it) taking a run at Bergeron or Ryder. JM answered with nothing. He had no answer, just the only thing he’s known for “a system” that had Montreal sit back and burn Price’s SO that amalgamated with that scum of a player Lucic lifting his hands to the Montreal crowd mouthing a giant F*** You: A “not only did we end one of your stars careers but we will take Price’s SO as well”

Unfortunately, when I look back at this game I can’t see the accomplishment of the opening 40 mins, but only the way this team without any shred of dignity ended it in the final 20. I feel sick and embarressed.

Max – get well soon, we need you!

I am going to conclude my eveing with all you fine ladies and gentlemen by saying that I wish Max Pac all the best and speedy recovery. My thought are with his parents.

Good night.

92. oshawahabsfan says:

It’s blatantly obvious he knew what he was doing, the video doesn’t lie. You clearly see Chara look to see where he is, and then look to Pacioretty, identifying his surroundings and who the opposing player is. These two have a history so he decides he’s going to dish out a harder hit than normal. Anyone who’s ever played the game at a competitive level knows that some players will put more into finishing their checks against certain players for various reasons. You don’t need to be in Chara’s head to see that he used this as an opportunity to get some measure of revenge on a young player who took a shot at him in a previous meeting. The NHL had better look at the history between these two, this is not a simple black and white play, this had statement play written all over it. While not as premeditated, it was certainly as intentional as the Bertuzzi attack on Moore

93. andrewberkshire says:

No sorry is necessary, Christophor. You’re absolutely right. A hit from behind is also situational to where the play is. I didn’t even think of that but it’s a brilliant point.

94. Aybara says:

We can go crazy with the idea of intent.

My intention was to shoot the bird an inch to the left of the President’s head. I guess the aim on the rifle was off by an inch right. Oops, hands are clean, not only did I intend no harm, but the construction of the equipment was faulty causing this disaster.

bezebus these are pros, they know what is going on! Extreme reckless behaviour causing severe injury is still a punishable offense.

95. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly. If the two of us are walking along a cliff and I playfully push you, and you fall to your death, that’s still manslaughter. Was it murder? No, but it was reckless and caused a death, and a punishable death.

96. TommyB says:

“…..without any shred of dignity….”, seriously???  There was very little left to do in the third period but complete the game and take home a win.  Chara had been removed from the game.  Any retaliation on any other Boston player because of what Chara did would have been dumb, under the circumstances.  A 4-0 lead with a period to go, going after any other Bruin seeking revenge for the Chara hit would have put the whole incident in favour of what the Colin Campbell-led downplayers would say…”Just an unfortunate accident, due to a hard hit, but clean hockey play, in an intense game involving two historic rivals”.  We all know how stupid that train of thought is, we all know that it is total bullshit, but we all know the NHL will do very little discipline-wise.  That, unfortunately, is life in the NHL these days.

With their thoughts and prayers swirling around the condition of their friend and teammate, it was surprising how they were able to focus at all on completing the game, and taking home the win.  Without a shred of dignity, indeed.

97. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Wheres Doink ? Fucking idiot

98. Former Jets Fan says:

The precedent for suspending Chara was set last year when Ovechkin and Lapierre were suspended for similar incidents – a little innocuous push to the back of a player in a vulnerable position *on a dangerous part of the rink.*  Neither of those incidents would have warranted supplementary discipline had they happened elsewhere.  Lapierre got 4 games for his hit (which I thought was more of a reputation-based punishment than an actual assessment of the severity of the infraction.)

So, if it were my call : 5 games.

Since it’s not my call : no suspension, no fine

99. Mike Boone says:

I’ve read that first sentence three times and I still don’t understand it.

100. Bouleau noir says:

Man, this edition of the CH is a great team to cheer for, the speed, the skill, the scoring by commity but above all, as we saw during last year’s playoffs and so very clearly once again tonight…. this team has CARACTER and shure knows how to play at their very best when things matter most….. each and every players tonight were great….. White, Mara, Sopel…. any of them, all of them….. so why do I feel sick right now ? simple,..  Chara is a sick and dangerous man and the whole NHL thing can be a disgusting affair.

101. Natrous says:

Has anyone heard from RetroMonkey tonight? I hope he’s ok after that 4-1 win vs the big bad b’s..

102. Stephan Lebeau says:

NHL Network

Kevin Weekes on NHL network is much more intelligent than the likes of McKenzie or Barnaby.  I rarely ever post on here, but diligently read this page daily and have been for years.

Weekes made a very interesting point.  As Chara is racing towards Max he can clearly see his defence partner is already back in the zone and will have puck posession.  Thus, there is no reason for Chara to initiate a hit on Max who didn’t even have the puck.  Clearly Chara can see this.  Secondly, he points out how Chara extends his arms at the end essentially guiding Max into the glass.  Thirdly, Weekes agrees Chara is not a dirty player as he has no past history, but when is the league going to say enough is enough to these types of incidents?

Also, on the Ryan White beating of Boychuk.  Whats with this guy not taking off his face shield?  I sure hope Don Cherry brings this up in his coach’s corner this week.  On second thought thats not likely to happen.  Oh by the way over at NESN Milbury (still to date the dumbest GM ever ——-and we’re talking about a league that has seen Garth Snow, Rejean Houle) thinks it was a 2 minute minor at best.

Two rights don’t make a wrong. Wait a minute…

In other news, Lars Eller now has as many goals as Scott Gomez. There are 2 ways to look at that stat.

105. Former Jets Fan says:

I think maybe you meant to say “I’m sure Mike Murphy’s verdict will not be swayed whatsoever by his boss Colin Campbell, who I presume will just go take a long, casual dump while they make the decision in the War-Room.”

106. Richrebellion says:

First off on the Chara hit, I don`t think the hit was especially dangerous on its own but considering Pacioretty didn`t have the puck and where the play was made I think Chara should be held accountable. There is some bad beef between the 2 and I don`t think Chara held up one bit instead he went over the top. The result a young player being taken off the ice on a stretcher, if it goes unpunished I will be extremely dissapointed in the NHL.

As for Boone`s comment about putting Eller, Ak and Moen together I really don`t see how any credit can really be given to JM. It took him 60 games into the season to figure out that Eller will be at his best while playing with another talented player? It’s pretty easy to see that Eller has enormous amounts of talent and is best suited at playing centre the position he is clearly most comfortable with. So far this season, besides playing on the wing for a couple of games Eller has rarely been used to centre anyone capable of scoring 20+ goals and has seen 0 power play time. How could any young talented player put up any points playing on a checking line for 10 mins a game? It’s nice to see after JM tried a million different combinations he finally stumbled into one that works for Eller.

Still wondering why a player with so much skill and talent still hasn’t been given a shot on the power play…

Some things could be worth it… for example putting Chara’s head through the glass and concussing him for life. That would be worth it imho.

108. rogieshan says:

As Pacioretty was lying there, all I could think of was Bill Masterton. Thank heaven Max is okay.

109. rogieshan says:

Damien Cox just wrote a similar article in defense of Chara’s hit as “not malicious.” The truth is Chara plays very much like another rotten giant, Chris Pronger. The two are able to use their size to mask their dirty tactics, often giving the appearance there is no ill intent. Did Cox and Mackenzie not take into account also that there was only 16 inconsequential seconds left in the period in the neutral zone and the Habs were leading 4-0? It was a cheap play by a cheap artist who thought he could get away with it.

110. Thenumber11 says:

Ya, a lot of us felt that feeling… never good.

Here’s to a great win though. The team checked tighter, played harder, and showed some offensive gusto that they haven’t matched all season. THAT was the playoff team from last year. That was the team we can look forward to seeing come postseason this year too I believe.

Most importantly, hope Max recovers quickly and fully. With any luck for us and him it’s not as bad as it looks and he’s back for the playoffs or something. Just as long as he doesn’t rush himself back, nothing is worth that.

111. Fargo Habs Fan says:

This game is getting ridiculous.  It’s only a matter of time before something much much more serious than this happens.  NHL has had chance after chance to send messages, but they have not and they will not.  This league is becoming a joke more and more every day.

-Dustin-

112. Da Hema says:

:-)

He has demonstrated a Solomonic level of wisdom in the past.

113. zedder81 says:

Well written. Even if Chara didn’t intend to hurt him, he hit Max late. Making the hit illegal.  I think a 5-10 game suspension if Max isn’t hurt bad. Season if the injury was catastrophic.

114. darcy1 says:

want to bet on that? As much as I agree with your assessment, the No, I didn’t see that cheapshot. Hockey League will not let one of its ‘stars’ sit for 10 games.. Those punishments are reserved for guys that don’t play with Colin Campbell’s son.

——————-

115. VancouverHab says:

I can understand you, Timo, writing a typical Timo-ism: “MaxPac gets KO’d by a vicious hit from Zdeno Chara, and so it’s time to attack…Scott Gomez!”

The problem is that 90% of H-I/O posters and 95% of the media are more Timo than Timo in this (insane) regard.

“It’s Timo’s world — you’re just living in it….”

116. CBrady12 says:

Your stupidity knows no bounds

I am also really disappointed with Gomer’s reaction as he was closest to Chara when he hit Max. Reminded me of Breezer’s reaction to when Zednik got almost killed my MacLaren… just a gentle shove and a lot of useless yapping. If I am there I am breaking my stick over Chara’s face immediately and I am hitting to kill. Man, I am enraged.

118. t1tan5 says:

“If I am there I am breaking my stick over Chara’s face immediately and I am hitting to kill.”

…I bet

119. OneTimer says:

Can we ban him again, please…Send him to Gomez Inside/Out, where it’s all Gomez-bashing, all the time.

Gomez was playing great tonight by the way, and against the Lightning. I think those are the words wise Timo is looking for.

120. Kevin says:

That would be soooo awesome. And then a civil suit for 10 million.

121. gourou04 says:

you mean ‘precedent’

So I have a question… just to speculate. What if Max Pacs files charges in court against Chara as assult or even attempted murder? I am just wondering what could possibly happen. After all the president has been set. I would really really like to see Chara behind bars. It’s like seeing an ape in a cage… I would come by and throw him some bananas.

Haha… I sent McKenzie a nice little tweet and within seconds I am off his followers list (I was on the list just so that I can send him my regards)

124. Habnofear says:

Yep …that’s how it looked alright.Get welll soon young Max Pac.

125. habs-hampton says:

When I first saw MaxPac’s replay, I got the same feeling as when I saw the Georgian luger in Vancouver last February.

126. krob1000 says:

How in the world can anyone even consider this not being a 10 gamer?

127. sidhu says:

Pat Hickey saying that the league needs to send a message after this hit:

Lol… yes :) thanks.

129. light_n_tasty says:

F_cking McKenzie is a f_cking idiot.  Chara tried to “rub” out Pax. By shoving Pax’s head, with his fist, at full speed, into the stantion. F_cking sh_tard.

130. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

well boone’s a f-cking idiot too

131. sidhu says:

If there is any silver lining, it is that the Habs players will be that much closer after this.  And I imagine the extended Habs family/fan-base will be closer and more proud of our boys after tonight, too.

132. Rainrocket16 says:

I wanted to give Chara the benefit of the doubt but I see no evidence that suggests I should. He should be kicked out for the rest of the regular season and fined a minimum of $50,000. What a peice of Shisse he is!! Hands down the most goonest display by a dirtbag I have seen since Dale Hunter! If the league doesn’t punish him the way he should be, then Fuuuk the NHL!! My first thought was that Max was paralyzed!

Twit from Max’s agent

I just received the best call in my career as an agent from the father of a client that is going to be ok. Get well soon Max.”

134. ooder says:

so get off his blog

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

135. darcy1 says:

double amen!

——————-

136. darcy1 says:

2 games per RDS earlier in the night.

——————-

137. CharlottetownHabbies says:

What did Kyle MacLaren get for his hit on Zednik?  I got the same feeling watching this hit, hard to take the location out of the equation, Chara has to know where he is on the ice.  If I drove my car on the sidewalk and took out a pedestrian could I use the “I didn’t mean to, I didn’t know where I was on the road, he sort of jumped into it” defense?

138. Marc10 says:

Hmmm… It’s done and in my heart of hearts I know the NHL will let this guy off. The talking heads are already selling the ‘Chara as Bambi’ story, the innocent little boy from Slovakia…

But we know he did it with intent. He lined him up and threw him in… and didn’t look back – the classic tell of a cheap shot artist when they’ve done wrong as Don Cherry (of all people) would have it…

But it’s time to let this one go. Max will hopefully be back soon and Jaro is dropping in for a visit… and our Habs have done what few thought possible. They schooled the Bruins! They rode the little bitches like Hab greats of years past, with superb passing and courage under fire!

The PK was sublime, the Eller line was F-awesome, the speed, the forechecking, the Wiz bullet… backed by a solid brick wall in goal.

JM is getting it done. He is a fantastic coach and tonight’s execution was proof. Bad with kids?! The kids rock on this team! I haven’t seen rookies like this since 86!

And PG gets a tip of the hat too. I thought he was mad going back for seconds with Mara. Mara didn’t look out of place tonight; far from it. And the Sopes pick up… that was solid. Having the option to dress 1,300 pounds of D is a nice luxury – especially when they block 35 shots!

I don’t know that this line up beats the Wings or the Nucks or even the Flyers in a best of 7, but after tonight, I like our chances against anybody a whole lot better.

C’mon Habs! Win it for Spatch (and on March 24th… break their backs!)

Carey, Carey, Carey, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!

139. matraque says:

Here’s something “interesting” from my GF.  Her background: Chinese, non canadian and do not care about hockey.  When i showed her the hit on tv during the news she said this: “Wow… That guy did it on purpused.. He pushed his head!” and “Is the Montreal guy dead?” followed by “What a stupid sport”…

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

140. FrederictonHabsfan says:

Chara deserves a lengthy suspension. The reasons have been documented here many times.

Let me say first of all that i do not believe for a second Chara didn’t know what he was doing when he timed that hit at that location. He had 2-3 strides earlier to do the same thing but waited until the stanchion was close enough to put him into it before giving him the shove. He was facing that direction and saw exactly where he was. Did he intend of the result to happen? I’m guessing no. No one wants to create that scary of an injury. But he certainly DID mean to shove him into the stanchion to “hurt” him, even if he didn’t fully intend to injure.

That being said….

It does not MATTER what the intention was. The league is SUPPOSED to be cracking down on this kind of disrespectful, dangerous garbage. You are responsible for your action on the ice, and the results of them. Chara made an illegal and dirty play, and the end result was that Pacioretty likely has a major concussion and is frankly luck not to have a broken neck.

I also think it matters what kind of history the players and teams involved have. The last game was a fight filled game in which Boston violated the “code” repeatedly. To no punishment of course. This game there is one fight, where Boychuk tries to go knee on knee to injure Subban, and White gets the instigator?

Pacioretty and Chara have a history meanwhile. The game at that point was dominated by the Habs with the score 4-0.

All evidence points to Chara being angry and frustrated and then making and extremely dirty play that resulted in a terrible injury.

If that isn’t a case for a lengthy suspension, then i guess we know why Gregory Campbell has a job playing in the NHL.

141. G-Man says:

Down 4-1 with seconds to go, Lucic and then Horton tried to goad someone, anyone, into a fight. This is a reflection of the pice of shit organization the Boston Bruins are. Losers since 1972, and as classy as a $20 whore.

Chara was proud of what he’d done and didn’t display any regret; he even went so far as to blame Pac for the result of his illegal check. I hope he loses the rest of the season and playoffs, but, this being Colin Campbell’s son’s team, he MIGHT get a game.

If the suspension is light, I say it is time to bombard the NHL with e-mails, twitters, whatever on getting the NHL to fix their goon show. Philly and Boston have the most thugs in the league, yet are rarely penalized. WTF is up with that?

142. Shiloh says:

It was a thorough victory over the Bruins, who showed themselves to be the weaker team in terms of intensity and sensibility.

I’m willing to consider that Chara didn’t want to kill MaxPac, but his reckless play endangered the health and even life of another player – one with whom Chara has had a history.

The nadir of Boston’s classlessness was certainly Lucic trying to goon it up with a minute or so to go. After what we witnessed tonight, who could have imagined that someone could be so clueless so as to not understand what had happened in this game – a young man’s life and livelihood were jeopardized through careless thuggery. Lucic’s answer was to try to start the whole process rolling again.

Boston has a loser team – in character as well as hockey.

143. stephen says:

Best wishes to Max. I hope his family is able to get into town soon. I can’t imagine the anguish they would have experienced in witnessing the incident and being left to wonder about the condition of their loved one.

By no means am I excusing Chara’s actions, but at least he had the decency to address the media afterward. We can’t expect him, however, to openly admit to guiding an opponent’s head into a stanchion.

That said, I don’t for one second believe him when he says he didn’t know where they were, or only ‘vaguely’ knew that they were ‘near the bench’. I never made it out of house league hockey, but as a hockey player, I bloody well knew where I was on the ice at all times. Yes, it’s blindingly faster in the NHL, but that’s precisely why you MUST know where you are at all times; otherwise, you’d be putting yourself in vulnerable/dangerous positions all the time.

He should be suspended, but whether that will happen, I do have my doubts. This league is hardly a model of weighted, insightful discipline.

Again, best wishes go to Max and his family. Let’s hope he can make a full recovery, regardless of how long that might take and whether it ever allows him to take to the ice again. Health and quality of life above all else.

144. RockinRey says:

What a game!! I was completely glued. And I watched it in  watering hole with the sound off.

Have a to say best game they played all year and best since they thumped Boston 5-0 last year!

Even Gomez didn’t play a bad game!

145. geo_habsgo says:

Whether or not there was malicious intent is a completely moot at this point. You just don’t make a play like that with seconds left to play in the period when the score is 4-0. It’s extremely careless. The hit was malicious and he should be given heavy discipline by the league.

This is whats wrong with the league though. A seemingly clean hit in a dirty area. Does that make the play clean? No. He knew the danger. A player skating at Patches speed is so easy to hit and chara knew he would be fly like a rag-doll. If this doesn’t change things in the NHL I don’t know what will.

146. jhaze says:

Speedy recovery max pac. we need you.

147. RiverviewCanadien says:

To the Pacioretty family and most importantly to Max.

My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you tonight. I hope it is a complete recovery.

God Bless

148. captaink4life says:

a) The stanchion is padded.

b) Pacioretty wears a visor

As bad as it was, it could’ve been much worse. Get well soon MaxPac.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

Hehe… It’s Timo’s world… I like that.